PDA

View Full Version : Who would the NEC add...

Tim James
July 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
to help offset the losses of Albany and URI if they do depart ? Is the league on life support if CCSU goes too ?

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
What about a team like CWPost?

aceinthehole
July 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Ugh....

We can't add anyone. Who is even available - Marist? The Red Foxes want to spend less on football than St. Francis does. :(

If UA leaves and URI doesn't come aboard, the NEC is looking at 8 members for 2013:

Bryant
CCSU
Duquesne (A-10)
Monmouth
Robert Morris
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
Wagner

I hate the uneven 7-game league schedule. And with 2013 being a 12-game season, NEC teams would be looking for 5 non-conf games each.

CCSU could conceivable join the rest of the New England/NY public FCS schools and be the 6th team in a CAA North division, but I haven't heard a peep that is even a consideration right now.

The NEC can survive at 8 teams, but it is far from ideal, and this will have destabilizing effect and will likely set the conference back a lot.

Tim James
July 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
What about a team like CWPost?

Haven't seen any rumors about them possibly moving up. The only rumor I saw was about them going back to the Northeast 10.

aceinthehole
July 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Don't forget the Big South isn't very stable either. The Big South is down to 6 teams with Stony Brook's expected depature.

If the Big South lost another football school to the CAA/SoCon, then I would probably expect those the two leagues to explore merging for football only and have N/S divisions.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Dayton would be a great add if they would commit a little more to their program.

Tim James
July 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Whats the deal with the Marist ? Wouldn't joining their fellow northeast privates make more sense than where they are now ?

wapiti
July 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
How about North Alabama?

Bogus Megapardus
July 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Whats the deal with the Marist ? Wouldn't joining their fellow northeast privates make more sense than where they are now ?

I know that the Marist admin likes its life in the PFL. I've had occasion to speak to some Marist students over the last several years. Most support their football team and the students turn out for games. That said, the students would prefer playing against more familiar northeastern names.

I have to give Marist a lot of credit for hanging on to football after the MAAC imploded - and even building a nice new stadium. If the PFL makes sense and it keeps football on campus, they should just stay put.

danefan
July 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Delaware State would jump at an NEC offer.

DFW HOYA
July 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Other than NJIT, no one is an imminent candidate to join the NEC outside football. The NEC's best options are teams unaffiliated with its home conference in football, a list which includes variously includes Marist, Georgetown, Villanova, Richmond, and Fordham. However, none seem ready to affiliate with the NEC schools for the time being. Three years from now? That's a long time in the future as this stuff goes.

UAalum72
July 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Haven't seen any rumors about them possibly moving up. The only rumor I saw was about them going back to the Northeast 10.
LIU-Post now has more students and faculty than the home LIU-Brooklyn campus, but even if they wanted to move up, there's the internal politics of the 'junior' campus rising to a position equal to big brother.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM

I don't know about that. I think Del State is probably willing to leave the HBCU fold, but I don't know if they'd be willing to go the reduced scholarship route, I'd think the Big South would be a more likely home.

aceinthehole
July 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure DSU would "jump" at the chance to join the NEC, but they would probably discuss it with the NEC. I can't see them agreeing to be a non-counter; they need the $$ from FBS games.

The NEC is at perfect 12 schools, so unless someone like QU moves on, it doesn't need any full-time members. So, right now that limits us to FB-affiliate members. Here's the "potential" list, but the likelyhood of most of these schools are still remote at best:

Marist (MAAC/Pioneer)
Dayton (A-10/Pioneer)
-----
Butler (A-10/Pioneer)
Morehead State (OVC/Pioneer)
Georgetown (Big East/Patriot)

Sorry DFW, but 'Nova, Richmond and Fordham are pipe dreams - no shot they ever join the the NEC.

I don't know of any schools in the Northeast that have recently announced publically that they are studying relassification, however Indiana University of Pa. (D-II/PSAC) has been mentioned as a potentially exploring D-I in the past.

MplsBison
July 24th, 2012, 07:38 AM
LIU-Post now has more students and faculty than the home LIU-Brooklyn campus, but even if they wanted to move up, there's the internal politics of the 'junior' campus rising to a position equal to big brother.

Buffalo's two little brothers seem to be doing well.

*chuckle*

dgreco
July 24th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure DSU would "jump" at the chance to join the NEC, but they would probably discuss it with the NEC. I can't see them agreeing to be a non-counter; they need the $$ from FBS games.

The NEC is at perfect 12 schools, so unless someone like QU moves on, it doesn't need any full-time members. So, right now that limits us to FB-affiliate members. Here's the "potential" list, but the likelyhood of most of these schools are still remote at best:

Marist (MAAC/Pioneer)
Dayton (A-10/Pioneer)
-----
Butler (A-10/Pioneer)

Sorry DFW, but 'Nova, Richmond and Fordham are pipe dreams - no shot they ever join the the NEC.

I don't know of any schools in the Northeast that have recently announced publically that they are studying relassification, however Indiana University of Pa. (D-II/PSAC) has been mentioned as a potentially exploring D-I in the past.

Back when Bryant was exploring the move Bentley University was supposedly looking into moving as well. I am not sure if they still are, but that is the only other Northeastern school that has showed any interest.

Unfortunately, it looks like the NEC will be stuck at 8.

downbythebeach
July 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
They should try to get Dayton, but I don't think Dayton would want to spend more on scholarships. I have heard IUP rumors as well.

Seawolf97
July 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Georgetown might be a good candidate if they hedge on going full scholarship in the PL and are willing to support a 35-40 scholarship football team. It would keep their costs down for scholarships but keep thier team playing in a strong conference. Travel wise it would be same as going to HC or Lehigh as it would to travel to Bryant or RMU.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM
They should try to get Dayton, but I don't think Dayton would want to spend more on scholarships. I have heard IUP rumors as well.

IUP is a real interesting one. They've had Division I dreams for the last decade but haven't really had a great place to end up. The NEC would give them a golden opportunity to do so, with just about the same amount of football scholarships they already have, and additionally they would be smack-dab in the middle of an area with schools like SFPA, Robert Morris, and (in football) Duquesne. IMO they could be No. 1 on the NEC's list if CCSU, or any other members, leave.

superman7515
July 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Danefan is absolutely correct. DSU would run, jump, and pull a quadruple salchow for an NEC offer. They are the most northeast of the HBCU's and their largest alumni areas are in the northeast, however, they compete in a conference focused on the southeast and have largely forsaken recruiting for athletics or academics in the areas they primarily served in the past, much to the chagrin of significant segments of the alumni. They would like to cut the football scholarships so that they can cut the women's equestrian team, which they are currently barred from doing until such time. They'd also experience significant savings by not having the soccer team playing in the Great West Conference and within the school there is interest in both men's and women's lacrosse, very popular in the northeast and mid-Atlantic, but of no interest to the MEAC other than DelState, Morgan State, and UMES (never heard any interest from Coppin or Howard, but they're in a good area). As the MEAC has grown, there has been a small but increasing divide between the schools from the north and those from the south. When Delaware State increased funding for athletics, they were forced to decrease it a few years later not because the school wanted to but in order to bring it "more in line with other MEAC institutions."

MplsBison
July 24th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Georgetown might be a good candidate if they hedge on going full scholarship in the PL and are willing to support a 35-40 scholarship football team. It would keep their costs down for scholarships but keep thier team playing in a strong conference. Travel wise it would be same as going to HC or Lehigh as it would to travel to Bryant or RMU.

Gtown is no different than any of the PFL teams. It's not like they're ideologically opposed to being national competitive.

Their admin want a varsity team but they'll kill any attempt to increase spending on the sport.

aceinthehole
July 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
LFN - the problem is the transition time for any reclassification from D-II.

The PL can to wait for a program like JHU or RIT to move up since they would be seen as a "perfect" fit.

IUP would be a desperate replacement to keep the NEC viable. Usually defections happen at the last moment and if you can make it through the waiting period, the addition isn't worth much. Bentley or Merrimack, or some other NE-10 school probably fits the NEC profile a little better as a private school.

IUP just doesn't do it for me at all, and is probably not considered an exciting partner for most of the non-PA NEC schools.

aceinthehole
July 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Danefan is absolutely correct. DSU would run, jump, and pull a quadruple salchow for an NEC offer. They are the most northeast of the HBCU's and their largest alumni areas are in the northeast, however, they compete in a conference focused on the southeast and have largely forsaken recruiting for athletics or academics in the areas they primarily served in the past, much to the chagrin of significant segments of the alumni. They would like to cut the football scholarships so that they can cut the women's equestrian team, which they are currently barred from doing until such time. They'd also experience significant savings by not having the soccer team playing in the Great West Conference and within the school there is interest in both men's and women's lacrosse, very popular in the northeast and mid-Atlantic, but of no interest to the MEAC other than DelState, Morgan State, and UMES (never heard any interest from Coppin or Howard, but they're in a good area). As the MEAC has grown, there has been a small but increasing divide between the schools from the north and those from the south. When Delaware State increased funding for athletics, they were forced to decrease it a few years later not because the school wanted to but in order to bring it "more in line with other MEAC institutions."

DSU would fit the NEC well, as an underfunded D-I program in the Northeast. They would be an outlier, obviously as both a HBCU and a public university. They could likely compete across the board and would be a travel partner/pair with Mt. St. Mary's. However, I just don't see that much mutual interest at this point. WOuld football be considered a "step down" to the alumni and administration?

I wouldn't be opposed to DSU, and would prefer them over NJIT, but I not 100% convienced they would "jump" at the opportunity. I know there were discussions between the school and the NEC in the past. Does anyone know what were the concerns or questiosn from each side at that time?

dgreco
July 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I think a full-member isn't in the future unless somehow the AEast starts taking NEC members. So while DSU would be nice, I do not see the NEC adding them. If CCSU leaves for AEast (but stays in the NEC for football) then maybe DSU would be added. However, I feel like the school might then look to a private DI (Marist) or a DII to move up rather than taking another public school.

If Quinnipiac is to leave then maybe CCSU/the football schools would lobby for DSU, but IDK the working of the NEC members well enough to know.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Gtown is no different than any of the PFL teams. It's not like they're ideologically opposed to being national competitive. Their admin want a varsity team but they'll kill any attempt to increase spending on the sport.

Do you realize that spending (and fundraising) at Georgetown has increased across the board?

Apparently not.

MplsBison
July 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Do you realize that spending (and fundraising) at Georgetown has increased across the board?

Apparently not.

Oh good! More money for Gtown bball. And rightfully so, it's the sport that matters.

One only needs to visit the home gameday competition facility for any given sport at any given school and compare it to the same such facilities of their competitors to gauge the school admin's willingness to spend for the sport to be competitive.

Hmmm.....Verizon Center...MSF.

aceinthehole
July 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I think a full-member isn't in the future unless somehow the AEast starts taking NEC members. So while DSU would be nice, I do not see the NEC adding them. If CCSU leaves for AEast (but stays in the NEC for football) then maybe DSU would be added. However, I feel like the school might then look to a private DI (Marist) or a DII to move up rather than taking another public school.

If Quinnipiac is to leave then maybe CCSU/the football schools would lobby for DSU, but IDK the working of the NEC members well enough to know.

Marist isn't coming back to the NEC for all sports, and I'm still not sure they would come for FB-only. That invite was already extended once, and only Duquesne took up the offer. Maybe the NEC could get St. Peter's from the MAAC for all sports, but who really wants them.

Good point. If just QU bolts, then the football school may push for Delaware State, if they are truly intersted in the NEC.

NHwildEcat
July 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
LFN - the problem is the transition time for any reclassification from D-II.

The PL can to wait for a program like JHU or RIT to move up since they would be seen as a "perfect" fit.

IUP would be a desperate replacement to keep the NEC viable. Usually defections happen at the last moment and if you can make it through the waiting period, the addition isn't worth much. Bentley or Merrimack, or some other NE-10 school probably fits the NEC profile a little better as a private school.

IUP just doesn't do it for me at all, and is probably not considered an exciting partner for most of the non-PA NEC schools.

Merrimack should never be an option...ever.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
One only needs to visit the home gameday competition facility for any given sport at any given school and compare it to the same such facilities of their competitors to gauge the school admin's willingness to spend for the sport to be competitive. Hmmm.....Verizon Center...MSF.

Again, your reputation on this board is a reflection of your assumptions that are not always grounded in fact.

Georgetown's inability to move on facilities is not a matter of indifference but has been tied up in a web of litigation, DC bureaucracy, town/gown issues, and University debt issues that are not so easily dismissed. There is a major athletics project, previously funded, that has been held up by the National Park Service for 28 years and counting over what calls a "scenic easement". Men's basketball, with all its supposed "power", has been waiting over a decade for a mere practice facility (the only top 25 school without one) and it's still not close to getting built.

The Big East will not allow Georgetown to play basketball on campus because its facility (built 1951) is so obsolete, and that's the "best" facility on the campus. And no one doubts how sad the MSF is either--I've said it for 7 years and counting. Any PL fan that has attended a game will tell you likewise, and sportswriters have been known to avoid the games there altogether.

And there was this story told by a Villanova fan. It's not just football, you know.

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41083&p=863007&hilit=+georgetown+villanova+porta#p863007

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/stadia-msf.jpg

MplsBison
July 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If the Gtown admin did not care about basketball, they wouldn't shell out big bucks to play in the Verizon center.

They care.

They don't care about football in the same way, or they'd shell out big bucks to play somewhere else.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
If the Gtown admin did not care about basketball, they wouldn't shell out big bucks to play in the Verizon center.
They care.
They don't care about football in the same way, or they'd shell out big bucks to play somewhere else.

Sorry, NEC folks, but our poster here did not understand the prior post.

Georgetown has to play in the Verizon Center. The Big East mandates a minimum 6,000 seat arena for games. The Verizon Center is the only indoor sports facility in the District of Columbia that seats more than 6,000.

Outside the MSF, the only other football facility in the District available for play would be RFK Stadium. No one (not even Mpls) is arguing that Georgetown ought to play Bucknell (or any NEC school) in an 50 year old stadium that is, by many standards, in serious disrepair.

http://www.matchfitusa.com/2009/09/rfk-falling-apart-united-stuck-in-hole.html

aceinthehole
July 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Georgetown has to play in the Verizon Center. The Big East mandates a minimum 6,000 seat arena for games. The Verizon Center is the only indoor sports facility in the District of Columbia that seats more than 6,000.

Outside the MSF, the only other football facility in the District available for play would be RFK Stadium. No one (not even Mpls) is arguing that Georgetown ought to play Bucknell (or any NEC school) in an 50 year old stadium that is, by many standards, in serious disrepair.

DFW - You should know it is silly to try to argue with Mpls, especially in off topic thread.

I'm not suggesting Gtown should or would use it, but technically the DC Armory does seat more than 6,000 for hoops. Also, I'm not suggesting they would ever agree to it, but couldn't Nationals Ballpark host a football game? It has hosted concerts and other non-baseball events.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
DFW - You should know it is silly to try to argue with Mpls, especially in off topic thread. I'm not suggesting Gtown should or would use it, but technically the DC Armory does seat more than 6,000 for hoops. Also, I'm not suggesting they would ever agree to it, but couldn't Nationals Ballpark host a football game? It has hosted concerts and other non-baseball events.

The DC Armory can host a lot of events but given that it does not have air conditioning or central heat, so its viability during the winter months is extremely limited. The last college game it hosted was Georgetown-Maryland in 1979, drawing 6,900, and the last team to play games regularly there was Georgetown...in 1949. (GW and American opted to play at Ft. Myer, VA rather than the Armory.) Nationals Park could conceivably host games, but Nats management would probably want to keep the field baseball intact only until at least early October, so the only events you're looking at would be in late Oct/early November, and you can't build a schedule around that (this was among the issues that prevented serious discussion of Villanova playing at Citizens Bank Park during their I-A explorations.)

But back to the NEC. There are a few candidates, but Marist comes closest. It has an NEC history in basketball, is located within the conference footprint, its stadium is comparable to many NEC stadia, and it shares a club/III/I-AA legacy with the likes of Duquesne, St. Francis, Robert Morris, Monmouth, and Wagner.

hebmskebm
July 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I just don't see the "limited scholly" model as sustainable in the NEC, or anywhere in FCS for that matter. It doesn't in my mind make sense to be granting scholarships unless the NEC schools (the core members) are trying to eventually get to counter status. I understand that may take a while given the financial limitations some of these schools face but nonetheless it should be the goal of the conference. If it isn't, I think you might see the football league (not the NEC as a whole) disintegrate with the schools who do want to be counters finding other conferences to play ball in and the weaker sisters eschewing scholarships altogether and joining up with the northern schools of the Pioneer. And that's fine! Unlike Mpls I have no problem with FCS non-schollie ball. There will eventually be enough non-schollie teams for two conferences, and it wouldn't surprise me if they came to include 3-5 members of the current NEC.

henfan
July 25th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Del State is very likely not moving to the NEC. There was a possibility of DSU moving for FB to the Big South when Allen Sessoms was running the show and the institutional focus was moving away from being identified as an HBCU. The emphasis on athletics and FB in particular has changed quite a bit since Sessoms departure. Additionally, the BOT and President Williams has redoubled the commitment to the MEAC. IMO, anyone dreaming for the Hornets joining their conference would be best advised to up the ghost.

Original_RMC
July 25th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Marist (MAAC/Pioneer)
Dayton (A-10/Pioneer)
-----
Butler (A-10/Pioneer)

I would welcome any of those programs into the NEC for Football only. If IUP was interested then they might want to follow the same path as Bryant.

I wonder if other programs from Pioneer would be interested like Drake or Valpo

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Like I said, if Gtown admin didn't care about bball, they wouldn't shell out big bucks to play in the Verizon center.

Who said Gtown has to be in the Big East? A10 looks good with George Washington.

The admin choose to be in the Big East because it's the best college bball conference in the nation and the basketball program provides national exposure for the university and pride for the alumni. Hence they're more than satisfied to pay for the Verizon center.

Put it another way: DC builds an 6k arena for some reason. Rent at that arena would be a small fraction of the Verizon center. Gtown admin would NOT rent that arena out. Every game would still be in the Verizon center.

Likewise, if Gtown admin cared about football they'd pay to rent out some nicer venue somewhere else. Doesn't matter where or whose home venue it is (soccer, football, whatever).

You knew exactly what I was saying, just choosing to play dumb.

mainejeff
July 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Delaware State might be a candidate for America East as well. Wouldn't help their football program much, but there have been rumblings that they are on the list. They would provide UMBC with the long sought after "travel partner"/local "rival". And I'm sure the NEC would be more than happy to offer them an affiliate membership for football to get back to 8 league games.

MplsBison
July 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Delaware State might be a candidate for America East as well. Wouldn't help their football program much, but there have been rumblings that they are on the list. They would provide UMBC with the long sought after "travel partner"/local "rival". And I'm sure the NEC would be more than happy to offer them an affiliate membership for football to get back to 8 league games.

Well...so would Morgan St.

But not sure that UMBC would agree with that.....if you catch my drift.

Larryl9797
July 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone give any thought to University of New Haven to the NEC? I never hear of their aspirations. They are pretty decent at FB at their level.xeyebrowx

danefan
July 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Anyone give any thought to University of New Haven to the NEC? I never hear of their aspirations. They are pretty decent at FB at their level.xeyebrowx

Pete Rossomondo (Former UA Offensive Coordinator) is a great head coach. I personally hope Pete is Coach Ford's replacement upon retirement.

New Haven would be a great fit for the NEC. They had a DI transition plan in place, but backed off it.

Bogus Megapardus
July 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
The NEC would be a natural fit for New Haven should it choose to move up.

Under current rules, wouldn't the NEC have to extend an invitation to New Haven before it could apply for a transition to Division I?

Pard4Life
July 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I don't understand how Marist is content in the PFL... Dayton, Jacksonville, Butler, San Diego... huh? Forget the Big "East"... the Pioneer League started it all!

aceinthehole
July 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Simple, Marist (and the PFL teams) spends less on travel than they would on even 30 scholaships.

New Haven did declare an interst in reclassifing and did an offical "exploratory year," but they were able to leverage that into an invite to the NE-10. They are happy there.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I don't get it. You might think that there are at least a half dozen D-II schools that are at 30ish scholarships in D-II, and here is this conference with 40ish scholarship football and an autobid to the NCAA tournament. Why not do it?

Title IX? Well, the limits apply at any school, D-I, II, or III. Total participation would remain the same, and ramping up 10 more men's and women's scholarships shouldn't be that difficult. Also, there's nothing saying you have to go all the way up to 40.

There are other considerations for a D-II to D-I transition - probationary periods, etc., and it takes too much time to transition - but ramping up 0-10 football scholarships would seem to be a relative cakewalk compared to, say, jumping to FBS, or even going from 30 to 60 scholarships in other FCS conferences. Furthermore, all of these schools are firmly in the NEC's footprint: New Haven, Pace, CW Post, IUP, etc. Without even trying I can come up with half a dozen possibilities.

Bogus Megapardus
July 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't understand how Marist is content in the PFL... Dayton, Jacksonville, Butler, San Diego... huh? Forget the Big "East"... the Pioneer League started it all!

Seriously, it works for them. No sense in rocking the boat. Marist retained football after so many of its former MAAC colleagues dropped it. Personally, I thinks it's terrific for Marist to play against Butler and Dayton especially given the alternative.

I know that Marist isn't richly endowed and that it has been on quite an aggressive capital campaign lately with tons of new construction. It has added an entirely new residential campus and it now has some of the nicest upperclass student dorms and apartments that you'll find anywhere. Marist also re-did its basketball facility and built a new, properly-sized football stadium with all chairback seats.

Marist is a small private school with budgeted resources and I think that it is allocating those resources pretty well at the moment. Give it some time to let all these things settle in. I know for a fact that the administration has its eye on the ball and is working really hard to carve out its niche in the competitive northeastern field of higher education.

henfan
July 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Delaware State might be a candidate for America East as well. Wouldn't help their football program much, but there have been rumblings that they are on the list.

What rumblings? Where are you hearing this from?

I've not heard of any discussion that the university has had about leaving the MEAC since Alan Sessoms was president. In fact, the BOT, under pressure from alumns and students, has re-doubled its commitment to the school's HBCU mission. Sessoms was removed in part because he wanted to move away from that identity. Anyone who suggests that DSU might be moving from the MEAC doesn't understand the political dynamics at the school.

DSU has de-emphasized athletics since Sessoms departure. UMES's admission to the MEAC has further solidified their commitment to the conference. They are not headed anywhere anytime soon.

superman7515
July 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM
DSU has de-emphasized athletics since Sessoms departure. UMES's admission to the MEAC has further solidified their commitment to the conference. They are not headed anywhere anytime soon.

UMES has been in the MEAC since it was founded in 1970.

henfan
July 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
UMES has been in the MEAC since it was founded in 1970.

Brain fart. I was actually thinking of WSSU. Prior to their coming on, DSU was allegedly in talks with the Big South for FB and the NEC for other sports. The lack of interest from those conferences and the internal strife at DSU killed those deals.

Fox 94
July 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Seriously, it works for them. No sense in rocking the boat. Marist retained football after so many of its former MAAC colleagues dropped it. Personally, I thinks it's terrific for Marist to play against Butler and Dayton especially given the alternative.

I know that Marist isn't richly endowed and that it has been on quite an aggressive capital campaign lately with tons of new construction. It has added an entirely new residential campus and it now has some of the nicest upperclass student dorms and apartments that you'll find anywhere. Marist also re-did its basketball facility and built a new, properly-sized football stadium with all chairback seats.

Marist is a small private school with budgeted resources and I think that it is allocating those resources pretty well at the moment. Give it some time to let all these things settle in. I know for a fact that the administration has its eye on the ball and is working really hard to carve out its niche in the competitive northeastern field of higher education.

Whoa! Is this someone from the PL giving Marist credit?

xsmileyclapx

Go...gate
July 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Agree, Bogus. They have a long-term plan and they are staying with it.