PDA

View Full Version : EKU Picked as 2012 OVC Football Favorites

Bam
July 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
EKU picked as OVC favorites:

http://www.ovcsports.com/news/2012/7/21/FB_0721123449.aspx

Milktruck74
July 23rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Congrats to the Colonels. I'm thinking about adopting EKU as my "local" team of choice...if they'll have me!!! Here are my reasons...... 1. I really enjoyed my tailgating experience last fall. 2. At least half of my posse' are EKU grads. 3. My business partner does the PA for football. 4. I can't afford gas in my Armada (12 mpg) to drive to Chattanooga every other weekend.

My first allegience will always be to the Mocs, but I could see myself cheering on that 7'13" tight end you guys have.

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
That PA announcer is a legend.

Milktruck74
July 23rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Robb has been doing it for 20 years, but a legend???? You are probably thinking of the radio guy, he has been there since the days of leather helmets.

Bam
July 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Robb has been doing it for 20 years, but a legend???? You are probably thinking of the radio guy, he has been there since the days of leather helmets.

Yea. Sad thing the "Voice of the Colonels" Greg Stotelmyer went to some unnaned school in Boweling Green KY. xnottalkingxxnottalkingx

TheRevSFA
July 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
you mean the OVC has other teams?

I kid..good luck this season EKU

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm a has-been as far as the OVC is concerned, but I sincerely believe that JSU(with their talent) should be the true favorite every year. No disrespect intended for the Colonels at all. It's just my opinion that the Gamecock's coaching is holding them back. For years I was a JSU fan, and drove up to see games there when my Bulldogs weren't playing. The crowd, the Marching Sotherners, and the obvious passion for the team, all made games there seem big-time to me. Jack Crowe soon turned me against that, however, as I did not like the policy of taking throwaway players with baggage. I know some JSUers will take issue with that, but I'm just giving my viewpoint. It wasn't just that, however, as it seemed to me that JSU would sometimes lose games late that they actually had complete control of. A few of those losses also seemed to be to teams that had far lesser talent.
Still have lots of JSU friends and just posting an honest personal opinion as an outsider.

Bam
July 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'm a has-been as far as the OVC is concerned, but I sincerely believe that JSU(with their talent) should be the true favorite every year. No disrespect intended for the Colonels at all. It's just my opinion that the Gamecock's coaching is holding them back. For years I was a JSU fan, and drove up to see games there when my Bulldogs weren't playing. The crowd, the Marching Sotherners, and the obvious passion for the team, all made games there seem big-time to me. Jack Crowe soon turned me against that, however, as I did not like the policy of taking throwaway players with baggage. I know some JSUers will take issue with that, but I'm just giving my viewpoint. It wasn't just that, however, as it seemed to me that JSU would sometimes lose games late that they actually had complete control of. A few of those losses also seemed to be to teams that had far lesser talent.
Still have lots of JSU friends and just posting an honest personal opinion as an outsider.

It will be a good battle between EKU & JSU. One positive for the fellas is that the JSU game is at The Kidd this year. It will be a classic battle again!

Cocky
July 23rd, 2012, 12:01 PM

Several JSUers agree with your stance on the HC. You could throw the Pres in the mix also.

EKU-n-GSU
July 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
EKU picked as OVC favorites:

http://www.ovcsports.com/news/2012/7/21/FB_0721123449.aspx

If they do and make the playoffs, I just hope they can put more then 2,700 fans in the stands for the game. I understand it was Thanksgiving week and that EKU is the ultimate suitcase college, but the town needs to get back into the game. EKU definitely had greater town support back in the late 70's early 80's...

Bam
July 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
If they do and make the playoffs, I just hope they can put more then 2,700 fans in the stands for the game. I understand it was Thanksgiving week and that EKU is the ultimate suitcase college, but the town needs to get back into the game. EKU definitely had greater town support back in the late 70's early 80's...

Totally agree! Not sure what those so called fans were doing that day? I am sure ESPN will not come back anytime soon.

msupigskin
July 24th, 2012, 06:47 AM
The OVC is WIDE OPEN this year. EKU is certainly the preseason choice for #1 and JSU for #2. However, I'm predicting LOTS of surprises. The Racers will have a say in how the conference turns out. And TSU, UTM and TTU will all put up their share of wins/upsets and could be in the mix. In fact, the only team with 0 chance is Peay. I anticipate a tie at the top of the league again at season's end and it will be with 2, maybe 3 losses. Biggest thing OVC needs to do is get some post-season wins from its playoff teams.

Redbirdz
July 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
JSU will be tough to beat.

ekufbfan
July 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM
JSU will be tough to beat.

Yeah they will be
JSU will be tough as usual.
EKU has beat JSU the past two years.
JSU plays EKU in Richmond this year
EKU vs JSU record: EKU 5 JSU 4 (just luck we have those 5 wins xrolleyesx )
That said, they probably will be tough and EKU probably has no chance in this game. The last two games , EKU was just lucky. Everyone knows EKU really is just lucky. Those 21 OVC titles? Just luck. All those playoff appearances ? Just luck. National title games? Luck. 2 National Championships? Yeah, luck. Most never give us a chance, and no matter the year, think another team is better than EKU, but we somehow always finish at the top or close by. Is it enough? No, not for EKU fans. But for the doubters, we have heard it before.xcoffeex

TTUEagles
July 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
The OVC is WIDE OPEN this year. EKU is certainly the preseason choice for #1 and JSU for #2. However, I'm predicting LOTS of surprises. The Racers will have a say in how the conference turns out. And TSU, UTM and TTU will all put up their share of wins/upsets and could be in the mix. In fact, the only team with 0 chance is Peay. I anticipate a tie at the top of the league again at season's end and it will be with 2, maybe 3 losses. Biggest thing OVC needs to do is get some post-season wins from its playoff teams.

What he said...

TTUEagles
July 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah they will be
JSU will be tough as usual.
EKU has beat JSU the past two years.
JSU plays EKU in Richmond this year
EKU vs JSU record: EKU 5 JSU 4 (just luck we have those 5 wins xrolleyesx )
That said, they probably will be tough and EKU probably has no chance in this game. The last two games , EKU was just lucky. Everyone knows EKU really is just lucky. Those 21 OVC titles? Just luck. All those playoff appearances ? Just luck. National title games? Luck. 2 National Championships? Yeah, luck. Most never give us a chance, and no matter the year, think another team is better than EKU, but we somehow always finish at the top or close by. Is it enough? No, not for EKU fans. But for the doubters, we have heard it before.xcoffeex

Who is saying this? As far as my 30+ years of following OVC football, EKU has always been the gold standard and yearly favorite. I've never heard of anyone taking EKU lightly...