PDA

View Full Version : NAU Saturday Home Football Games to Have Afternoon Kickoff in 2005

dbackjon
May 25th, 2005, 02:13 PM
http://nau.newtier.com/index.php?module=pnNews&tid=18&sid=421

(05/23/2005) FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Northern Arizona University Saturday home football games will move up to an afternoon kickoff for the 2005 season, athletics director Jim Fallis announced. With the exception of the Thursday night season opener against Adams State, which will kickoff at 6:05 p.m., the remaining four Saturday home games will start at 3:05 p.m.
“We want our fans to enjoy a day on campus starting with pre-game tailgating through the Lumberjack victory in the afternoon,” said Fallis.

Fallis also said the move to an earlier kickoff allows a better opportunity for families to attend the event.

“We want to help families make it an event that can be attended together,” said Fallis. “We limit our audience with the late kickoff as well as the media coverage of the event.”

Head coach Jerome Souers favors the afternoon games.

“Our student-athletes love playing in the afternoon and it is also favorable for students on campus,” said head coach Jerome Souers. ...

dbackjon
May 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
When does tailgating normally start?

The ones that do usually mid-afternoon. This move is a good one:
It lets tail-gaiters have time both before and after the game
It should help student attendance (they can go to the game, then either head down to Phoenix or go out in the evening)
It should help family attendendce - the 6:05 games usually didn't get over until 9:30
It will allow alums from Phoenix (two-hour drive) attend games as a day-trip, which should boost attendence as well.

And, actually having the game done for the east/midwest sunday papers should give NAU a fraction of exposure, up from the zero it gets now.

Hansel
May 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Love 3-4 pm kickoffs, wish NDSU would try some

colgate13
May 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I WISH Colgate could have kickoffs that late. No lights at Andy Kerr and when it's November, kickoffs are at noon otherwise no one could see the ball by 4:30.

dbackjon
May 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Love 3-4 pm kickoffs, wish NDSU would try some

When do they kickoff normally?

putter
May 25th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I WISH Colgate could have kickoffs that late. No lights at Andy Kerr and when it's November, kickoffs are at noon otherwise no one could see the ball by 4:30.

Same here Colgate. No lights in Missoula either so we start at 1:00 OR 12:00 After DST ends

Marcus Garvey
May 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM

If Colgate had lights, they'd would seldom be used for football. Alfred University in Upstate NY has had lights at Merril Field since 1930 (It may just qualify as the very first permantly lit college football field). However, they just about NEVER play night games. While I was there, I recall only one, in early Sept, my freshman year. Since '93, they've played no more than 3 or 4. By Oct., it gets too cool at night.

Why they've had lights so long is beyond me. Maybe for attendance reasons in the era before the interstate highways. Perhaps it was a gimmick? In the 30's, something like that would attract a lot of attention. Today, the lights are used almost exclusively for men's and women's soccer in the fall.

Hansel
May 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
When do they kickoff normally?
Either 1 or 6/7- typically 3 games afternoon and 3 night games

IMO 3/4pm kickoffs are the best, get going about noon, have your lunch while you tailgate, watch the game, and still be able to do something (movie dinner binge drink) afterwards, plus (in our area at least) it lets people go hunting in the morning and then come to the game afterwards.

ChickenMan
May 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Having lighting has been a big plus for UD. The lights were installed a few years ago and the Hens now start all September home games at 7pm. In October... they return to 1pm starts. The lights do provide the flexability to move starting times around if needed and the fans seem to love the early season night games.