PDA

View Full Version : Ranking The SoCon Defensive Lines

SU DOG
July 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
Bleacher Report ranks the SoCon fronts. I do not believe that there will be seven better than Samford's. Nothing biased just my opinion.:)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267106-socon-football-2012-ranking-the-defensive-lines

Bogus Megapardus
July 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM
Just reading the article, and based on my recollection of last season's games, I think it would be a mistake to discount Chatt. Ga. Southern will rely on brute athleticism as usual but who among us is able to withstand that rapid-fire running attack? I tend to agree that App State will go in untested on the defensive front but scheme and talent go hand in hand; no one can deny that even the noobies on the the App State D-Line tend to thrive under Jerry Moore and Dale Jones. Those guys know a thing or three about defense.

All said, however, I'd love to see Samford make a run at it. Just my opinion.

Gringer1
July 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
He forgot to mention Georgia Southern's Dion DuBose making a comeback from an injury and Johnathon Battle, a red shirt freshman that was highly rated and recruited by BCS programs.

seantaylor
July 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
LOL. GSU's line is going to be far better than Chattys. Despite having Dubose back, Johnathan Battle is not mentioned. Next 66.

walliver
July 22nd, 2012, 01:07 AM
I suspect the author underestimates Wofford's defensive line. Although we did lose some very good players, the article's author apparently didn't realize that we essentially platooned defensive linemen last year and the new starters have a lot of game time experience.

blueballs
July 22nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Dubose is an all conference talent (he was before his injury) if he is 100%, and the coaches say he is so we'll leave it at that. That guy is a difference maker as the two GSU posters mentioned.

Of the d-lines in the SoCon that GSU faced last year, I thought App was by far the best. Good size, great speed, got off blocks, didn't miss tackles. GSU controlled Wofford and Furman pretty well and was able to make the big fourth quarter drives against Chatty and Citadel. Samford was pretty good (hard to tell much in the first game) and is a sleeper.

But all things considered, as far as d-lines not named GSU, I'd go with App.

blueballs
July 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
LOL. GSU's line is going to be far better than Chattys. Despite having Dubose back, Johnathan Battle is not mentioned. Next 66.

He didn't mention Ejeke or Bailey either. Both of those guys will be better this year. GSU will be athletic as hell and DEEP on the d-line.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Cue Chattown to tell us that Josh Williams is better than Brent Russell. xlolx

chattownmocs
July 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
He's right about Chattanooga being the best. There is absolutely no legitimate argument otherwise. But he didn't do much research. He mentioned neither near certain DT starters. Those are transfers, 6'4" 303 lb. Derrick Lott from Georgia and 6'3" 295 lb. Chris Mayes from Navy. The 3 guys that shared starting duties last year, Josh Freeman, Keyon Reed, and Toyvian Brand will provide unbelievable depth. At DE williams and Tull are probably the best 2 DEs in the conference. All 5 of Tull's sacks came in the last 5 games. He is primed for a dominant season. Williams can place himself in the pantheon of SOCON sack artists with another big year. Add the freshman Keionta Davis and we are among the best in the nation at DE. Chattanooga by far alone at the top.

The Cats
July 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Here's hoping the WCU defensive line improves beyond last place again.... couldn't get much worse than last season.

mocman1990
July 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hard to argue with Brent Russell not being the best individual defensive player...but it is also hard to argue with this statement when looking at the whole line...

The Chattanooga Mocs return nine starters from a defensive that led the league and ranked 13th in the FCS in total defense last fall.

And that does not include Mayes (who has been with the team for a year) and new transfer Lott.

GATA
July 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
This is big for Chattanooga. You've got to have something to hang your hat on. God knows this DOMINANT defense they have is going to guide them to another disappointing season in the middle of the SOCON pack.

If only Chatty had a decent offense...

GlassOnion
July 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
If only Chatty had a decent offense...

This. 13th in total defense, 94th in total offense.

chattownmocs
July 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
This. 13th in total defense, 94th in total offense.

That should make it even scarier. The team was so talented a year ago that despite losing their pro style NFL QB early in SOCON play, and having to work with a spread style freshman QB on the fly they were still in every single ball game 'til the final minutes. This team is superior at every level defensively and they also have talent on offense. I would be fairly afraid if I were other SOCON programs.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
That should make it even scarier. The team was so talented a year ago that despite losing their pro style NFL QB early in SOCON play, and having to work with a spread style freshman QB on the fly they were still in every single ball game 'til the final minutes. This team is superior at every level defensively and they also have talent on offense. I would be fairly afraid if I were other SOCON programs.

Look, here again, you get a little praise and let it go to your head. UTC has a good defense. However, teams that are "so talented" don't have losing records. UTC appears to have gotten beat plenty last year by teams with less talent but more points.

CID1990
July 22nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Look, here again, you get a little praise and let it go to your head. UTC has a good defense. However, teams that are "so talented" don't have losing records. UTC appears to have gotten beat plenty last year by teams with less talent but more points.

I was going to say I'll take the points over the talent any day but you beat me to it.

344Johnson
July 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM

everyone should be afraid of a team that finished that low on offense?

seantaylor
July 23rd, 2012, 02:13 AM
Nobody is scared of UTC. They won't finish better than 4th in the Socon. Dont have the talent or coaching.

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2012, 06:45 AM

Praise gets to my head? LOL. This guy has no clue what he is talking about. He doesn't even know why Chattanooga has the best d-line. But just keep clinging to the idea that Chattanooga was your run-of-the-mill below average 3-5 football team last year. 5 losses by a total of 12 points. Find me where that happened last. If last year relates to this year you can only find the correlation by looking at the individual games. Based on last year and the circumstances of those games and then what everyone has back, a smart person would make Chattanooga a favorite in every FCS game. But alas, last year doesn't mean jack.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Praise gets to my head? LOL. This guy has no clue what he is talking about. He doesn't even know why Chattanooga has the best d-line. But just keep clinging to the idea that Chattanooga was your run-of-the-mill below average 3-5 football team last year. 5 losses by a total of 12 points. Find me where that happened last. If last year relates to this year you can only find the correlation by looking at the individual games. Based on last year and the circumstances of those games and then what everyone has back, a smart person would make Chattanooga a favorite in every FCS game. But alas, last year doesn't mean jack.

UTC was a below average football team last year. That cannot be argued. They lost to more teams than they beat.

chattownmocs
July 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
UTC was a below average football team last year. That cannot be argued. They lost to more teams than they beat.

I guess the only good team they played was Nebraska.

CID1990
July 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Good for Chatty if they can perform as their talent suggests they can. History suggests they will do otherwise.

I don't think anyone questions the level of talent at UTC. They were heavily talented last year, and yet they flopped. Usually when this happens, there is a discipline problem. That is how lesser talented teams beat teams like UTC.

mountaineer in Cane Land
July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
the clocks ticking for Chatt, with the talent they had last year, they should have atleast made the playoffs. This years team, atleast on paper should contend for the SC and the playoffs. The normal contenders, App, GS, Wofford, have big questions that have got to be answered. I'll say this, none of these teams lack talent, App, GS, and Wofford might take their lumps early in the season, but once they get it figured out, they are going to be really tough to beat. Until Chatt can show they have the heart and confidence to beat these teams, I still got them finishing 4th.

seantaylor
July 24th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Good for Chatty if they can perform as their talent suggests they can. History suggests they will do otherwise.

I don't think anyone questions the level of talent at UTC. They were heavily talented last year, and yet they flopped. Usually when this happens, there is a discipline problem. That is how lesser talented teams beat teams like UTC.

Chatty doesn't have much talent. About this 5th or 6th most talented team in the Socon every year.