PDA

View Full Version : 9/8/12: Lehigh at Central Connecticut State

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
A couple of weeks ago I profiled Monmouth before the season. This week, it's CCSU:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/07/know-your-2012-opponents-central.html

I think they could be a huge sleeper team in the NEC this year, and I think last year's 4-7 record was an aberration.

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2012, 08:35 AM
It's OK to be wary of CCSU, but Lehigh could realistically be 8-0 heading into Worcester in early November.

aceinthehole
July 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
My big concern heading into this season was at QB, but I think we might have that resolved. It hasn't been offically announced by the school, but word has it that this spring we brought in a transfer QB from Tulane - Nick SanGiacamo (Barnegat, NJ).

2011: Did not play as a true freshman...redshirted the season...off the field, was a member of Tulane's 3.0 Club.

High School: Four-year letterman at Barnegat High for coach Rob Davis...rated a three-star recruit by Scout.com while garnering two stars from Rivals.com and ESPN.com...listed as the No. 72 and No. 75 quarterback in the country by ESPN.com and Scout.com, respectively...is the first player in BHS history to earn four varsity letters and completed his prep career with 6,351 yards and 55 touchdowns on 457-of-840 passing (.544) while running for 565 yards and 10 scores for 6,957 all-purpose yards - all of which are school records...earned All-Group 2 and All-Ocean County honors as a sophomore, junior and senior and was named first-team all-conference his final two years as a prepster...as a senior, completed 177-of-339 passes (.522) for 2,575 yards and 22 touchdowns while running 95 times for 385 yards and five scores en route to earning a spot on the New Jersey Top 100 Seniors listings and claimed the Maxwell Award as one of the Top 60 players in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware...as a junior, completed 160-of-276 passes (.580) for 2,191 yards and 16 touchdowns...tallied 1,575 yards and 17 touchdowns on 120-of-226 passing as a sophomore...also lettered in basketball.

I love our WR crew, and I’m hoping the running game gets back on track with the much anticipated transfer from Kent State. The offensive line was young last year, so I think we are better this year.

Defense remains a huge question mark. We certainly aren't big, especially at LB. We had problems tackling and stopping the run last year. The secondary was solid.

I predict a much better year than last season. I would argue we are a legit contender in the NEC, but not based on last year’s results.

I hope Lehigh and PL fans look past CCSU, because Central heads into this matchup winning 2 straight vs. PL teams (both on the road). I expect a very hyped up CCSU team for their home opener in the newly expanded Arute Field. I won't make my pick on the game until after I see their results from their opener at Stony Brook, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Central comes out on top in this one.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks ace - this is exactly a nugget of information that is perfect for my piece. I'll edit it now!

Think I pretty much got everything else OK.

RichH2
July 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
We looked past CCSU and lost. I would hope Andy reminds them. Expect a competitive game Will be a real test for Colvin.

LUHawker
July 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Too many people hoping/worrying about Lehigh's demise this year. Lehigh was a special team last year and lost some key players to graduation like Lum, Drwal, et.al., but really the only question mark (and yes an outsized one) is at QB. Otherwise the team is very strong and returns lots of players with lots of PT. Colvin doesn't need to have a magical year. I think an efficient year will have Lehigh at the top of the PL again. Do I feel as confident going into this year as I did last year? No. However, I am no chicken little either.

The schedule is set up nicely for a minumum 9-2 season. I also don't think it out of the question to see 11-0 either. Not planning on that, but I struggle to pick its potential two losses. Best guess: Liberty and Holy Cross.

andy7171
July 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM
CCSU needs to get Spadola to drop a couple F bombs the week before.

LUHawker
July 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Let it go, brother.

LEHIGH61
July 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Spadola ended your season. Way to go Ryan.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM
This is a game that Lehigh needs to come out emotionally ready to play. You know CCSU will be sky high for this one. I have to imagine this will be the biggest home game so far in CCSU history, or at least the biggest crowd to see a game in New Britain. If the Hawks come out focused they should escape CT with hard fought 10-14 point win.

I've been saying all along that this game has me a little nervous. CCSU has proven in the past to be a stern test. With that said, they still haven't completely broken through and i'm not sure if this will be the year they do. Their game against SBU should tell a lot.

aceinthehole
July 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have to imagine this will be the biggest home game so far in CCSU history, or at least the biggest crowd to see a game in New Britain.

Central has very poor historical records, but I too would guess that this will probably be the largest crowd to watch a CCSU football game on campus. More than 8,000 people were in attendance in New Britain for the Harmony Classic vs. North Carolina Central (a NEC home attendence record).

http://www.footballfridaynight.com/collections/stadiums/CT/full/New%20Britain%20CT%20New%20Britain%20HS%207500.jpg
Veterans Memorial Stadium, Willow Brook Park, New Britain, Connecticut

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I profiled Monmouth before the season. This week, it's CCSU:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/07/know-your-2012-opponents-central.html

I think they could be a huge sleeper team in the NEC this year, and I think last year's 4-7 record was an aberration.

CCSU and Albany have the highest ceiling right now in the NEC imo. Duquesne could potentially take off but their administration holds the athletic program back.

Brad82
July 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
This is an upset special!
Like both teams.

ngineer
July 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Our loss to CCSU a few years ago will be reminded by the HC. CCSU has shown itself to be competitive team over the past few years and on the road, certainly not a gimme. On paper I pick us by 10, but by September, that could tighten.