PDA

View Full Version : Buck Buchanan Award Watch List Announced

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_7_19_2012.htm

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
lol at the App State corner making the list.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM

I understand some not liking having two from the same school for one award and they did it twice this year with YSU on the Payton and App on the Buchanan. I think based on pure talent Hess and McCray are good enough to make the lists. McCray is a legit NFL prospect like Russell and Kimbrough so I don't think either of those three are bad decisions. I know Mr. C would probably not put McCray on though and would likely pick someone from another conference.

One player I think probably should be on the list is the LB Robertson from JMU.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
McCray had 48 tackles, 5 INT, 14 passes defended, 9 passes broken up, 2 sacks and a forced fumble last season. He is an excellent cover corner and a solid open-field tackler.

Plus, he can pack a punch too. After he got done fumbling and remembered where he was, B.J. Coleman could attest to that:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KQrwIOZOSLM/UAgj8TZShUI/AAAAAAAAAEs/JTYMiFItESs/s1600/McCray.bmp

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
STFU. Is this the guy that gave up 250 yards to Mellette? Best cover corner in the FCS, that rides the pine his first 2 years and has a mediocre season keyed by a couple easy picks of Jaybo Shaw lollipops. Give me a break. This guy couldn't cover white paint with Black paint. But we are supposed to celebrate him for hitting BJ Coleman from the blind side while he was bringing the ball back to throw and making him fumble. Wow, I'm sure B.J. is so ashamed and impressed with this scrub.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Remember the name Nathan Wade. If he's in there for a full season (suspended some of last year), he will put up as good of numbers as the other defensive backs on that list.

Guy hits as hard as just about any defensive player I've seen at the FCS level.

AppAlum2003
July 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM

lol at your face

oooooooohhhhhh burn.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM
STFU. Is this the guy that gave up 250 yards to Mellette? Best cover corner in the FCS, that rides the pine his first 2 years and has a mediocre season keyed by a couple easy picks of Jaybo Shaw lollipops. Give me a break. This guy couldn't cover white paint with Black paint. But we are supposed to celebrate him for hitting BJ Coleman from the blind side while he was bringing the ball back to throw and making him fumble. Wow, I'm sure B.J. is so ashamed and impressed with this scrub.

He didn't become a starter until late in his sophomore year because he was learning the position. McCray was a QB in high school who was switched to DB with two all-conference corners in front of him. He got an opportunity when Ed Gainey got himself in trouble and he took advantage of it.

He was one of several guys that tried unsuccessfully to cover Mellette. I've said many times that I think he is the best offensive player in the country. He could not cover him, I'll give you that. Mellette is a monster, there is not a corner at the FCS level that can cover him. McCray did also have a big interception in the Elon game on a pass intended for Mellette that would have been a big play with ASU already down by 10.

He was first team all-conference for a reason. The kid has great ball skills and is good in coverage or the open field.

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM

So we aren't supposed to celebrate a defensive player hitting an offensive player and thus causing the ball to be fumbled? Or are you arguing that it wasn't a fumble? If that's the case, then we should celebrate the defensive player making a great play.

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
on a side note, Willie Jefferson from SFA, Taylor from Sam and Rose from Northwestern State are no brainers as they had great seasons last year.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
So we aren't supposed to celebrate a defensive player hitting an offensive player and thus causing the ball to be fumbled? Or are you arguing that it wasn't a fumble? If that's the case, then we should celebrate the defensive player making a great play.

No we aren't supposed to celebrate a guy as a great hitter because he came on a Corner blitz and hit the QB in the back. That doesn't mean anything. This guy is a senior and he hasn't done anything of not until last year when he made a couple of easy picks against GSU. Other than the fact that people are overrating all of App's players these days, that is the only reason he is on this list. One of the top 18 defensive players in the nation? Best cover corner in the country? He couldn't even get on the field for 2 years? NFL prospect? Why?

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
To be fair (and I can't believe I'm agreeing with Chattown), but even we schlubs could probably lay a pretty decent hit on a quarterback who had no idea we were there.

Great play for App State, but let's not pretend that a guy is a world beater because he put a pretty good hit on a quarterback from his blind side. Every defensive player in the FCS would have done the same thing.

Sam_Kats
July 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Defensive players that play their ball outside of Tennessee should NOT hit offensive players who play anywhere! Are we clear?

Silenoz
July 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Continued obsession with App noted.

...not that I blame you, what with their continued 25+ years of ritualistic butt #$#$ing of your program

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM

...not that I blame you, what with their continued 25+ years of ritualistic butt #$#$ing of your program

Continued obsession with me noted.....

Each time you post, the content of your posts becomes more and more homosexual.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
To be fair (and I can't believe I'm agreeing with Chattown), but even we schlubs could probably lay a pretty decent hit on a quarterback who had no idea we were there.

Great play for App State, but let's not pretend that a guy is a world beater because he put a pretty good hit on a quarterback from his blind side. Every defensive player in the FCS would have done the same thing.

I don't think the guy is a world beater because of one play, I was just busting his chops because I enjoyed the hit. That corner blitz was nice but his body of work last season is what got him postseason recognition in 2011 and preseason recognition in 2012.

He is a very good cornerback that can play in coverage and stop the run. The fact that he is 6-0 with long arms and 4.5 speed is why he'll be drafted next season. The SoCon coaches, media and NFL scouts all agree that this kid is for real. I tend to agree.

Silenoz
July 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM

What can I say, the psychology of the FCS retards of the world is endlessly fascinating to me

Mr. C
July 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I understand some not liking having two from the same school for one award and they did it twice this year with YSU on the Payton and App on the Buchanan. I think based on pure talent Hess and McCray are good enough to make the lists. McCray is a legit NFL prospect like Russell and Kimbrough so I don't think either of those three are bad decisions. I know Mr. C would probably not put McCray on though and would likely pick someone from another conference.

One player I think probably should be on the list is the LB Robertson from JMU.

The problem with having two players from one team on either list is two-fold. One is the fact that there are only 20 players on the list (it was only 16 before a certain person twisted arms to get it to 20). The second problem is that it severely hurts a candidate's chances of winning if he is splitting votes with another player on his team. It was absolutely ridiculous when Craig Haley had THREE ASU defensive players on the Buchanan watch list a few years back. The only time I can think of when it didn't disabled a candidate's chances of winning was when Jordan Beck of Cal Poly won the award and his teammate and roommate Chris Gocong finished second. Gocong then won the award the next year. A lot of time, too, TSN doesn't even get the best player on a team's offense, or defense, on the Payton, or Buchanan lists.

Mr. C
July 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Do we really need this type of stuff around here? Moderators?

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM

First of all he did not give up 250 yards to Mellette. He didn't have that many yards.

Second, several of the catches Mellette had were against someone other than McCray in that game last year.

Third, McCray had a pick against Mellette and made a few good plays just like Mellette made some nice plays on him.

Fourth, you need to remember that Mellette, like Quick was last year, is now the best player in the SoCon. He should make some plays on McCray.

And you are right it was a blindside hit but you know as well as the rest of us that Coleman was not that good in the SoCon. He was a very average QB with good tools who never did as well as he should.

The bottom line here is that McCray made some big plays last year and most of them came later in the year as he developed from an average corner to a very good one at the end of the year. Every corner gives up some catches and yards and what he gave up to Mellette was no worse than what the 2nd round pick from Vandy gave up to him.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
No we aren't supposed to celebrate a guy as a great hitter because he came on a Corner blitz and hit the QB in the back. That doesn't mean anything. This guy is a senior and he hasn't done anything of not until last year when he made a couple of easy picks against GSU. Other than the fact that people are overrating all of App's players these days, that is the only reason he is on this list. One of the top 18 defensive players in the nation? Best cover corner in the country? He couldn't even get on the field for 2 years? NFL prospect? Why?

First of all nobody can cover Mellette and nobody has said McCray is the best corner in FCS. I would say he's the 3rd or 4th best corner right now. He's probably the 3rd to be honest behind Marcus Williams and BW Webb. I think you could argue the SHSU corner is as good or slightly better. Still, being a top 5 corner in FCS is still pretty good.

There is a certain quarterback from USC who could never start because he was behind a Heisman Trophy winner and yet this guy is starting in the NFL. I think you need to ignore the fact a guy didn't start as a freshman. There are plenty of good NFL prospects from FCS who started just 2 or 2 1/2 years.

McCray is a NFL prospect because of his length, size, hips, speed, and ball skills. He's very raw still because like someone said he was a QB in high school and is still learning the position. His best days are still probably 3-4 years away . He's very athletic and could play just about any position in the secondary as well as quarterback or wide receiver.

Mr. C
July 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM

You really have no clue about college football if you have to ask why the NFL sees certain players as NFL prospects. The fact is they see this kid as a prospect. I know that from multiple sources.

Mr. C
July 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
First of all he did not give up 250 yards to Mellette. He didn't have that many yards.

Second, several of the catches Mellette had were against someone other than McCray in that game last year.

Third, McCray had a pick against Mellette and made a few good plays just like Mellette made some nice plays on him.

Fourth, you need to remember that Mellette, like Quick was last year, is now the best player in the SoCon. He should make some plays on McCray.

And you are right it was a blindside hit but you know as well as the rest of us that Coleman was not that good in the SoCon. He was a very average QB with good tools who never did as well as he should.

The bottom line here is that McCray made some big plays last year and most of them came later in the year as he developed from an average corner to a very good one at the end of the year. Every corner gives up some catches and yards and what he gave up to Mellette was no worse than what the 2nd round pick from Vandy gave up to him.

If the draft were held tomorrow, Mellette would probably be the first player from the FCS ranks selected, which in the NFL's eyes, makes him the most talented player in the FCS. Of course, the chances of Mellette actually winning the Payton Award are slim to none.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't think the guy is a world beater because of one play, I was just busting his chops because I enjoyed the hit. That corner blitz was nice but his body of work last season is what got him postseason recognition in 2011 and preseason recognition in 2012.

He is a very good cornerback that can play in coverage and stop the run. The fact that he is 6-0 with long arms and 4.5 speed is why he'll be drafted next season. The SoCon coaches, media and NFL scouts all agree that this kid is for real. I tend to agree.

The problem here is that he's a Chattanooga fan who is just trying to stir the pot. There isn't a person on this earth over 10 years old who would believe that one fan of a school of a conference rival is right above professional media, coaches, and NFL scouts and GMs. He knows that as well. He's just trying to stir the pot, as I said. Just present facts and don't call names or ignore him. He's just trying to entertain here and he does entertain with many of his comments. Just remember the source of the comments and don't take it personal. If a NFL team or major media outlet or even a coach came out and said what he said then you know there might be something to it but they aren't and won't so you know he's just trying to entertain.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
If the draft were held tomorrow, Mellette would probably be the first player from the FCS ranks selected, which in the NFL's eyes, makes him the most talented player in the FCS. Of course, the chances of Mellette actually winning the Payton Award are slim to none.

I'll be the first to say that if Mellette has 1500 yards, 15 TDs or more and does not win the Payton, it will be the biggest snub in the history of the award since the year DaVon Fowlkes.

Mellette is indeed the best player in FCS and yes if the draft were held today the top players selected would be Mellette, Brad Sorensen, BW Webb, and Tyrone Goard with McCray, Brent Russell, Robert Alford, Keith Pough, Rodrick Rumble, Washaun Ealey, and Colin Anderson all in that 5th-7th round range. That's not just my opinion but that of several NFL teams I have spoken with. Mellette is pretty much the consensus #1 FCS player at this point.

I'm looking forward to the 2014 draft as well because there are already a lot of names who could potentially become 2nd-5th round picks with Marcus Williams, Brandon Kaufman, Jeff Mathews, Marcus Coker, Tyler Starr, Zach Bauman, Kurt Hess, Jestin Love, Walt Aikens, etc.

Saint3333
July 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM

D@mn!!! Sweep the leg Johnny!

Panther88
July 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
on a side note, Willie Jefferson from SFA, Taylor from Sam and Rose from Northwestern State are no brainers as they had great seasons last year.

I've overly biased and am pulling for WJ from sfa, for personal reasons. :) Good luck to him and I hope he has a helluva' year.

Also, there's a DE from PVAMU, again :), who will more than naught make the list. Good size, great potential, and seems to be stronger/faster than the previously all-conf DEs from previous years @ PVAMU. Methinks nfl scouts put him on their radar coming out of spr '12. Good luck to him as well.

CrazyCat
July 19th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm just glad that MSU has a Buchanan nominee and the pre-season BSC Def. MVP in two different players.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I've overly biased and am pulling for WJ from sfa, for personal reasons. :) Good luck to him and I hope he has a helluva' year.

Also, there's a DE from PVAMU, again :), who will more than naught make the list. Good size, great potential, and seems to be stronger/faster than the previously all-conf DEs from previous years @ PVAMU. Methinks nfl scouts put him on their radar coming out of spr '12. Good luck to him as well.

I hope Jefferson improves his attitude and works hard because he has the upside and potential to eventually be a high draft pick.

As for the PVAMU end it's Jarvis Wilson and yes he is on the radar. If he were as big as Adrian Hamilton he would be a definite draft pick. He can bend, runs well, is explosive, and makes plays. If he can handle the likely double teams coming his way he should have a big year. That's my only concern with him this year is that he will likely see a lot more double teams with Hamilton gone and that could make it real tough on him.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Actually he had 14 catches for 237 yards against App State. Surely App State was smart enough to put their "All-World" CB on him right? So I'm guessing must of the damage came against him. That isn't a normal give and take battle between 2 great players. That is a complete mismatch and a humiliating performance from your boy. But you are right, Mellette is a great player. He was a hell of a lot better than your boy Quick last year too by the way. Don't know where you get off claiming that Quick was better.

Oh and BJ Coleman as a college QB was head and shoulders above where this guy is as a college CB, hopefully you and I can agree on that.

Longhorn
July 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
A lot of time, too, TSN doesn't even get the best player on a team's offense, or defense, on the Payton, or Buchanan lists.

I agree with this statement. Watch for Stephon Robertson from JMU to possibly make the Buchanan list when it's updated during the season.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The problem here is that he's a Chattanooga fan who is just trying to stir the pot. There isn't a person on this earth over 10 years old who would believe that one fan of a school of a conference rival is right above professional media, coaches, and NFL scouts and GMs. He knows that as well. He's just trying to stir the pot, as I said. Just present facts and don't call names or ignore him. He's just trying to entertain here and he does entertain with many of his comments. Just remember the source of the comments and don't take it personal. If a NFL team or major media outlet or even a coach came out and said what he said then you know there might be something to it but they aren't and won't so you know he's just trying to entertain.

What? I've never heard anyone talk about this guy until very recently and it was on this board. I just googled him and he is ranked as the 29th best CB prospect according to 1 publication. Wow, the scouts are really drooling. If you think he is better in coverage then Kadeem Wise, for example, then you need to get your eyes checked or retire. The fact that he is on any NFL radar is based SOLELY on potential and not on anything he has done. That does not make him a Buchanan caliber player or a 1st team All-American. That is absurd.

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM

When I read him it just looks like hes targeting his audience

Xcoffeex

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFXic98ZD4

Mellette vs Mccray corner

First of all, dude got abused. Trying to characterize this massacre as anything else would be ridiculous.

Looking at McCray....

He is a good athlete, he has good ball skills. Sure he can run with a wide out unless he blows the coverage, but he has no concept of what is happening with the QB. He doesn't know when to get his head around and make a play on the ball. He can lay a hit on somebody if he has a full running start and they are up against the sideline. But he is very soft when it comes to trying to make a tackle in the open field. At times leaving his feet to try and gain the leverage to bring down a ball carrier. He is also very soft in trying to get off blocks, almost lazy.

Upon further examination, he may be able to play in the NFL one day( it is a long shot) but as of now he is not one of the top 20 defensive players in FCS football.

Saint3333
July 19th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Actually he had 14 catches for 237 yards against App State. Surely App State was smart enough to put their "All-World" CB on him right? So I'm guessing must of the damage came against him. That isn't a normal give and take battle between 2 great players. That is a complete mismatch and a humiliating performance from your boy. But you are right, Mellette is a great player. He was a hell of a lot better than your boy Quick last year too by the way. Don't know where you get off claiming that Quick was better.
Oh and BJ Coleman as a college QB was head and shoulders above where this guy is as a college CB, hopefully you and I can agree on that.

Do you get dumber by the day. Quick was taken with the 1st pick of the 2nd round in the NFL draft. I can't wait for October when you disappear to watch the Vols lose vs. watching the Mocs lose. Your irrational, baiting posts are tired and ignorant and we are all now dumber for reading them.

I feel sorry for the other UTC posters on here.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I don't know why you are all fighting about someone who'd not even Marcus Williams anyway. :D

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFXic98ZD4

First of all, dude got abused. Trying to characterize this massacre as anything else would be ridiculous.

Looking at McCray....

He is a good athlete, he has good ball skills. Sure he can run with a wide out unless he blows the coverage, but he has no concept of what is happening with the QB. He doesn't know when to get his head around and make a play on the ball. He can lay a hit on somebody if he has a full running start and they are up against the sideline. But he is very soft when it comes to trying to make a tackle in the open field. At times leaving his feet to try and gain the leverage to bring down a ball carrier. He is also very soft in trying to get off blocks, almost lazy.

Upon further examination, he may be able to play in the NFL one day( it is a long shot) but as of now he is not one of the top 20 defensive players in FCS football.

Arguing that he is not one of the 20 best defensive players in the FCS is completely legitimate. Calling him a 'scrub' is not. If he played for Chattanooga (or anyone but Appalachian), I'm sure your opinion of him would be different.

He had a very good season and while he does have serious potential, he is also a bit raw and it shows sometimes. He is still relatively new to the position and going against one of the best players in the FCS will expose flaws in your game. As was mentioned earlier, Mellette also ran wild on the Vanderbilt CB who just went in the 2nd round. You cannot judge him based on this one game, nor can you judge him the other way based on the GA Southern game where he intercepted a couple of very poor passes. I'm sure there are other cornerbacks that an argument could be made for but he certainly deserves to be in the conversation. Guys that have both NFL caliber athleticism and a polished game with firm understanding of reading a QB just do not play at the FCS level very often. He is very good now and if the mental aspect of his game catches up with his physical skills, he will be a pro.

chattownmocs
July 19th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Do you get dumber by the day. Quick was taken with the 1st pick of the 2nd round in the NFL draft. I can't wait for October when you disappear to watch the Vols lose vs. watching the Mocs lose. Your irrational, baiting posts are tired and ignorant and we are all now dumber for reading them.

I feel sorry for the other UTC posters on here.

113 catches > 71 catches

1639 yards > 1096 yards

12 tds > 11 tds

Who is irrational?

You could blame it on the QB but that would be hard considering the thread when all the App fans talked about how Jackson was clearly better than Wilson.

cbarrier90
July 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
113 catches > 71 catches

1639 yards > 1096 yards

12 tds > 11 tds

Who is irrational?

You could blame it on the QB but that would be hard considering the thread when all the App fans talked about how Jackson was clearly better than Wilson.

Your obsession with a team that doesn't even consider your team a rival is quite sad.

asumike83
July 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Quick is another guy who was very raw because he played basketball growing up and did not take up football until late in high school. He has a little better physical tools than Mellette, as he is bigger and stronger with comparable speed and hands. However, Mellette is an excellent route runner who has been playing longer and has obviously polished his craft more than Quick. Considering how hard it is to pick up a new sport so late, what Brian Quick did was incredible and his potential is off the charts. That being said, I saw the Appalachian/Elon game in person and I do think Mellette was the best receiver on the field.

Saint3333
July 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
113 catches > 71 catches

1639 yards > 1096 yards

12 tds > 11 tds

Who is irrational?

Do you watch games or just check stats? October is only 3 months away enjoy it here until then.

katstrapper
July 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I think this guy could be a frontrunner....
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/300/DU/DULZJCMJGLOSGOE.20111209182803.jpg

#38 Darnell Taylor
Position: DB
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195
Year: Senior
Hometown: Mesquite
High School: Mesquite
Experience: 3 Letters

Three-year letterman who begins his senior year ranked No. 10 in Bearkat career tackles with 236 total stops ... started in 34 games the past three seasons

2011 -- Named to five FCS All-America squads including America Football Coaches Association, Associated Press and Sports Network ... Southland Conference "Defensive Player of the Year" ... first team All-Southland selection ... led Bearkat defense with 128 tackles, highest single season total since 1988 ... posted double digit tackles in eight games including season best of 12 in McNeese victory ... returned interception 23 yards in win over Northwestern State ... Southland "Defensive Player of the Week" after wins over Central Arkansas and Northwestern State

2010 -- Honorable mention All-Southland Conference safety ... started final nine games ... led the team with 64 tackles including four for losses, two sacks, seven pass break ups, two forced fumbles, and one blocked kick ... best game was 11 tackles against SFA at Reliant Stadium

2009 -- Started 10 games at strong safety as a true freshman ... fifth on squad with 44 tackles including six for losses ... returned an interception 41 yards in the Central Arkansas victory ... picked off a pass in Northwestern St. win ... best game 10 tackles at Southeastern La.

MESQUITE HIGH SCHOOL

seantaylor
July 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Brent Russell

SFA 93
July 20th, 2012, 06:55 AM
http://www.southland.org/

Twentysix
July 20th, 2012, 07:20 AM
MWill's gonna pick it up, along with 36 points along the way.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 07:27 AM
How much do you want to bet that Blake Oliaro or his family have not had to pay a single cent of his San Diego tuition out of their own pockets?

BluBengal07
July 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joseph LeBeau, DE, Jackson State, Senior

http://www.tspnsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joseph-LeBeau.jpeg

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_7_19_2012.htm
Among the FCS leaders last season, LeBeau ranked second in sacks per game and fourth in tackles for loss per game, while Peiffer and Bumpas ranked third and fourth, respectively, in tackles per game. Oliaro and Jefferson tied for fourth in sacks per game.
------
http://www.tspnsports.com/2012/07/19/top-10-most-important-swac-football-figures-of-2012-joseph-lebeau.htm
And for good reason. His speed and burst off the edge was a task for opposing offensive lines each week.

The defensive lineman recorded 16 sacks, 24.5 tackles for loss and 75 tackles overall in 2011, which was good for being named an All-American and 2012 preseason SWAC Defensive Player of the Year.

LeBeau will be the anchor of a unit in that ranked No. 1 in total defense a year ago, and features possibly the deepest and most talented front seven in the conference with the likes of linebacker Todd Wilcher, defensive back Qua Cox and interior presence Johnathan Billups.

If LeBeau is able to live up lofty expectations, there is no reason the defense can’t duplicate the production of last season, and setup the senior for pro opportunities down the road.

WeAreNorthDakota
July 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Looking at McCray....

Did you actually pay attention to that video? McCray was in zone on a lot of those catches and was either on the other side of the field or was not responsible for the receiver. Sure he got beat 2 or 3 times in man, but since I'm guessing that was a highlight video for Mellette I wouldn't expect to see any plays where McCray had him perfectly covered.

Appaholic
July 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
To be fair (and I can't believe I'm agreeing with Chattown), but even we schlubs could probably lay a pretty decent hit on BJ Coleman....most FCS defensive players & probably half the posters on AGS have sacked BJ Coleman. AGS could have funded this site for many moons had there been a dollar donated per sack of BJ Coleman.....

Great play for App State, but let's not pretend that a guy is a world beater because he put a pretty good hit on a quarterback from his blind side. Every defensive player in the FCS has had a pretty good hit on BJ Coleman....

fify

chattownmocs
July 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Did you actually pay attention to that video? McCray was in zone on a lot of those catches and was either on the other side of the field or was not responsible for the receiver. Sure he got beat 2 or 3 times in man, but since I'm guessing that was a highlight video for Mellette I wouldn't expect to see any plays where McCray had him perfectly covered.

On basically every big play (there were several) he was in man to man coverage and failed to make a play on the ball. I can see why they played a zone much of the time.This was for both players. Obviously you didn't pay attention.

NHwildEcat
July 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
My money is on the guy who won it last year...looking for a repeat!

Ginsbach
July 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
No matter who you think is going to win, I think we can all agree on one thing: Blake Oliaro has the best beard on the list.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
No matter who you think is going to win, I think we can all agree on one thing: Blake Oliaro has the best beard on the list.

And his family hasn't paid a cent out of pocket for his tuition, despite playing for a "non-scholarship" program.

Mr. C
July 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
And his family hasn't paid a cent out of pocket for his tuition, despite playing for a "non-scholarship" program.

Probably is a stud in the classroom, too. Ever heard of an academic scholarship. There are plenty of those in the PFL, the PL and the Ivy League.

BluBengal07
July 21st, 2012, 05:00 PM

that's whats up.

MplsBison
July 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
Probably is a stud in the classroom, too. Ever heard of an academic scholarship. There are plenty of those in the PFL, the PL and the Ivy League.

My point was obviously that he benefits from the funding of a scholarship. He plays for a team that belongs to a conference that does not allow its players to receive scholarships. So it just makes you wonder how genuinely his status on the team was "set aside" when his profile was being reviewed for the scholarship.

It doesn't really matter though. He can't win the Buchanan award, doesn't matter if he has 50 sacks. They play teams that would lose to most Div I California high schools.

Houndawg
July 22nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
SIU's NT Kayon Swanson will play his way on to the list. Led the Salukis in tackles from the NT position.