PDA

View Full Version : The new issues and concerns of college athletes

SU Jag
June 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Now for about a few years, more and more college atletes have been in the new for the wrong reasons. Times are changing and there are people out there who want to see athletes fall my questions to you guys are:

1. How do you guys feel about athletes on websites such as thefacebook.com, myspace.com, blackplanet.com, and ect., with pictures of them wasted and with beer, and other wild pary pics?

2. Should college athletes who are 21 years or older carry handguns if they have the propper paperwork to legally do so?

3. Should athletes have curfew and live on-campus?

These are some of the issues that have been talked about over the past few weeks on talk radio in this area. I would love to get you guys opinions.:nod:

TheValleyRaider
June 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM
1. How do you guys feel about athletes on websites such as thefacebook.com, myspace.com, blackplanet.com, and ect., with pictures of them wasted and with beer, and other wild pary pics?

Well, it's hard to be too judgemental of them because pretty much all of us have done some of the things they've been shown doing. They certainly should be more careful, and would hopefully have the sense not to post pictures of themselves doing illegal things (underage drinking and the like). You certainly can ask your friends to not post certain pictures, although that'll never fully stop everyone.

2. Should college athletes who are 21 years or older carry handguns if they have the propper paperwork to legally do so?

If it's legal, and they think they have reason to do so, then yes. If I'm a coach, I might want to make sure they have some training with it, as proper training goes a long way to avoiding unfortunate situations. And if they live in potentially dangerous areas, yeah, a little protection isn't the worst thing in the world.

During a season, if the coach wants a curfew, then they should have a curfew. The athletes I know at Colgate, and other places, are relatively self-policing, especially in-season. If the university allows them to live off-campus, then yes, they can live off-campus.

It's easy for us to fall into this trap that these athletes should be held to a higher standard because we have so many ways to follow their athletic exploits. In the end, they are students like me. It's one thing if the team's coach decides to put certain restrictions on how and where they live because he thinks it'll be helpful for the team. It's another if we're talking about the university not allowing them to do things because they're worried about potential repercussions. They're students and should be allowed to live like students. :twocents:

June 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM
... 1. How do you guys feel about athletes on websites such as thefacebook.com, myspace.com, blackplanet.com, and ect., with pictures of them wasted and with beer, and other wild pary pics?
3. Should athletes have curfew and live on-campus?1. They should face the same wrath that other students face.
2. I have no problem with legal gun ownership.
3. That, like the previous two questions comes down to the school and team rules and code of conduct. If the schools want to make it a rule for team membership then they should.

Tod
June 29th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Now for about a few years, more and more college atletes have been in the new for the wrong reasons. Times are changing and there are people out there who want to see athletes fall my questions to you guys are:

These are some of the issues that have been talked about over the past few weeks on talk radio in this area. I would love to get you guys opinions.:nod:

Question #2 is too disturbing to give a damn about the other two questions. :eek: :eek: :eek: : smh : : smh : : smh :

Stang Fever
June 29th, 2006, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=SU Jag]Now for about a few years, more and more college atletes have been in the new for the wrong reasons. Times are changing and there are people out there who want to see athletes fall my questions to you guys are:

A Better question is should schools be looking at what students post on facebook, myspace, etc. Even take ANygivensaturday. I had to stop posting for awhile cause people at my school read what i post so now I have to edit my post and watch what i say, cause they are quick to tell coach E. Even though i wish they would stop looking and deal with there job, like getting people in the seats for games.....in slo there is no other sports team around...so there is no reason why the seats cant be packed but thats another convo.....Even though I am a former player i can post anything i want but i dont like to burn bridges. And yes they should be able to post pictures and all that other stuff............ why cause thats what a large chunk of the student body does. There are not to many people who can say they went through college and didnt attend one party and didnt have a single drink.

Crazy question, cause the answer is yes. if they are legal then of course.

My answer is NO...do regular students have curfew. its student athlete right? and people get mad when athletes get special treatment so why start restricting them and stop treating them like students

Tribe4SF
June 29th, 2006, 06:25 AM
The issues and questions here relate to growing up in America today, not just to athletes. While there are some similarities to the experiences some of us had two, three (and, yes, four) decades ago, something is clearly different as well. The culture of drugs and violence that is so pervasive seems to have greater risks, and higher costs.

What coaches and athletic departments can do is engage athletes in an ongoing look at how they are coping with the risks and stresses in their lives, and provide an environment of support and opportunity that encourages athletes to make healthy choices. They can also establish clear expectations and consequences for behavior.

walliver
June 29th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Scholarship athlete's have a responsibility to their schools and should be held accountable for what they do in public. Schools shouldn't search the web looking for athlete web sites, but athletes should self-police themselves as to web content.

Most campuses I know of do not allow students to keep guns in their dorm rooms. Athlete's should not be treated any differently than anyone else, but I don't think guns have a place on college campuses. If the campus is so dangerous that guns are required, the school should beef up security (or call out the national guard:) ). Hunter's and marksmen should have a place on campus to safely store their guns; but, young people, beer and guns is not a good combination.

My general feeling is that players on full-ride scholarships should stay on campus. A lot of bad behavior occurs at off-campus sites. On the other hand, players living on campus can still get in trouble off-campus. I don't have a strong opinion on this matter.

NoCoDanny
June 29th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I've always felt that pictures of people partying should be outlawed.

Pard4Life
June 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM
The answers to these questions should be in line with university policies. I view athletes as college students who play athletics. In regards to living on/off campus, I would leave that up to team policy and the coaches' discern.

DUPFLFan
June 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM
1. How do you guys feel about athletes on websites such as thefacebook.com, myspace.com, blackplanet.com, and ect., with pictures of them wasted and with beer, and other wild party pics?

If they are stupid enough to post evidence - then they deserve what they get...:nono:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Carrying handguns will lead to eventual trouble. Why not just avoid it? :nono:

Athletes are students and they should have the same rights as the general population. Having said that, it is up to the Coach to dictate curfew and living arrangements.:twocents:

I-AA Fan
June 29th, 2006, 03:08 PM
There are already rules/laws in place that will cover this in most instances:

1. If the web site defames the university, than can easily be expelled, as the university and sometimes conference logos are on display. Also, technically the NCAA does not allow current roster photos to be shown on web sites.

2.Anyone can own a hand-gun. Any administration can refuse to allow it on campus, and any coach can refuse it to be allowed in his areas of responsibility ...fields, weight-room, practice rooms, etc..

3. Any coach can set rules for when players are a required to be on campus. Also, where they can live, as many schools require varsity players to live in campus housing. In fact, schools can require that everyone live on campus and athletics have nothing to do with it. It used to be that players did not start when they broke curfew.

JDC325
June 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
1. Not to bright in the digital age where a harmless photo can be misrepresented a thousand different ways.

2. See Constitution for guidance.

3. Being on a team is a privalege not a right the coach can put any rules he wants in place. Dont like it transfer.