PDA

View Full Version : Johnson gone at Wofford?

BlackSaturday
May 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I heard a rumor that Wofford's K. Johnson is ineligible, can anyone confirm or deny?

Fixed typo

blueballs
May 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
If so that would be a devastating loss for a team that really can't afford it.

OL FU
May 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Someone on the Furman site said they heard the same thing on Spartanburg TV News. Not a confirmation, but a second second hand version.

OL FU
May 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Posted - 05/25/2005 : 12:19:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Spartanburg Herald

Article published May 25, 2005

Academics bring down Terriers' Johnson
TODD SHANESY, Staff Writer
Three months before the opening kickoff, Wofford's football team has already suffered a significant loss.

All-Southern Conference running back Kevious Johnson, the league's second-leading rusher last year, has been ruled academically ineligible for the 2005 season.

"You feel bad for Kevious and you feel bad for the program," Wofford head coach Mike Ayers said. "He's definitely a guy who was a big playmaker for us. He did a lot."

Last year as a sophomore, Johnson ran for 1,035 yards (6.0 per carry) and nine touchdowns. He was only the second Wofford running back in the past quarter century to gain 1,000 yards in a single season. The Fitzgerald, Ga., native also ranked second in the league with an average of 127.8 all-purpose yards per game.

Johnson was the Southern Conference freshman of the year in 2003, when he rushed for 823 yards (6.0 per carry) and nine scores in helping the Terriers go unbeaten in the league, 12-2 overall, and make it to the NCAA Division I-AA semifinals.

"It's unfortunate," said Wofford athletics director Richard Johnson (no relation). "But ultimately, that's why we are here. That's why the student is here. We'd be negligent in doing our jobs if we let other concerns override the real one. Hopefully, we'll never let that happen."

Kevious Johnson, meanwhile, did not enroll for fall classes at Wofford. He has moved home to Georgia to work for a factory that builds motorhomes.

"The concern is now is for Kevious," Richard Johnson said. "In my personal experience in the years that I coached 26 years of college basketball, my student-athletes did better when they were busier. They were forced into time management. If he's not eligible to play, he may lose that motivation, that structure. So do I have concerns about that? Yeah."

Ayers said he expects the fullback to return to Wofford next spring, regain his scholarship status and have two more seasons of eligibility remaining.

"We had a long talk," Ayers said. "He's going to be fine. He's disappointed. But I truly believe he will come back and graduate from Wofford."

Prior to last season, Wofford had to dismiss its top returning receiver, Shiel Wood, for academic reasons.

The latest episode also follows on the heels of two baseball players, David Long and Steve Fusaro, suffering the same fate last month.

"It just happens," Richard Johnson said. "We're like everybody else. Things like this don't happen a lot here, but they do. If we think the academics might be too much for kids to handle, we don't admit them."

Michael Hobbs, a rising junior from Andalusia, Ala., rose to No. 2 on the depth chart behind Johnson in spring drills. Hobbs rushed for 104 yards last season and averaged 6.9 yards per carry. The Terriers also will rely on another junior, Adrian Young of Hickory, N.C., who totaled 141 yards on 4.4 per attempt.

"We need somebody to step up and when it's all said and done, I'm sure somebody will," Ayers said. "Michael had a great spring. Adrian is a diamond in the rough. If we can get him comfortable, he will be a special guy. I wouldn't have any doubts about either one of those guys.

"We've succeeded in the past because we haven't had one guy who is a superstar. We win as a team. I still think we can be competitive and successful."

Wofford was 8-3 overall last season and 4-3 in the Southern Conference. The Terriers are set to open the 2005 campaign Sept. 3 at home against Georgetown College before a Sept. 10 game at

Mr. C
May 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM
On the way down to Spartanburg to cover the first-round playoff game between Wofford and North Carolina A&T in 2003, I had a chance to hear an interview with Johnson on the Wofford radio broadcast. I remember being quite surprised at how badly he came across, particularly considering the other Wofford athletes I had interviewed in the past. He just didn't seem like a Wofford type of guy. Johnson was a very risky prospect for the Terriers from the academic standpoint, though he was also one of the most talented players to ever wear a Wofford uniform. This really kills a team that was already rebuilding this fall. I dare say that this is the biggest academic loss that any team in I-AA has had since last season.

thirdgendin
May 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
On the way down to Spartanburg to cover the first-round playoff game between Wofford and North Carolina A&T in 2003, I had a chance to hear an interview with Johnson on the Wofford radio broadcast. I remember being quite surprised at how badly he came across, particularly considering the other Wofford athletes I had interviewed in the past. He just didn't seem like a Wofford type of guy. Johnson was a very risky prospect for the Terriers from the academic standpoint, though he was also one of the most talented players to ever wear a Wofford uniform. This really kills a team that was already rebuilding this fall. I dare say that this is the biggest academic loss that any team in I-AA has had since last season.

Yep, he was a known academic liability coming in. We would've liked to have had him, but our admin wouldn't allow it.

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Well he was a good player but grades have to come first. I hope he gets his grades in order because he is an all-star player for sure!

ngineer
May 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
That may give an opportunity to Lafayette College Head Coach Tavani's son, who was a freshman at Wofford last year. From what I hear he got a fair number of carries. Certainly would be interesting if Lafayette got the Terriers on their schedule in another year or so.