PDA

View Full Version : College Football Hall of Fame Misfires Again

Mr. C
July 13th, 2012, 11:11 PM
The induction ceremonies for the College Football Hall of Fame are this weekend, but for the second time in four years NO FCS players were selected. Read more about it at College Sports Journal (www.college-sports-journal.com):

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/231-college-football-hall-of-fame-misfires-again-for-fcs

Editor's note: This the first of a two-part series on the College Football Hall of Fame, which inducts its 2012 class this weekend in South Bend, IN. Somehow, for the second time in four years, no Football Championship Subdivision candidates were selected.

In part one, we examine this year's ballot and in part two, we will look at changes that should be made in the voting process to keep the FCS from being snubbed again in the future.

PHILADELPHIA, PA. — One of my favorite benefits from being a member of the Football Writers Association of America is that I get a chance to vote each year for the candidates that appear on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot.

Once again in March, I received a ballot from the National Football Foundation chocked full of worthy candidates, particularly those who represented schools from the FCS.

This year, I checked off the names of McNeese State cornerback Leonard Smith and Villanova linebacker Curtis Eller on the FCS portion of my ballot and I added the names of Rudy Hubbard from Florida A&M and John Whitehead of Lehigh as my two divisional coaching candidates.

In addition, I voted for running backs Bobbie Hedrick of Elon and Louis Jackson of Cal Poly for the Division II portion, safety Chuck Downey of Stony Brook and running back Alonzo Patterson of Wagner among the Division III candidates and tight end Rich McGeorge of Elon and linebacker Sidney Williams of Southern from the NAIA ranks ...

To my shock, when the results of the College Football Hall of Fame voting came out later in May, the National Football Foundation failed to select a single player from the FCS ballot for the second time in four years — something that many media members that I have spoken to find absolutely deplorable.