PDA

View Full Version : PL #5 Georgetown Preview Up

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
On The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com).

LeopardFan04
June 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Another good one 13...

Pard4Life
June 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
So your going to be tabbing Fordham #4? Interesting.. you seem to have as much faith in them as I do... I think we should start a "the only two people who think Fordham can win" club.

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
So your going to be tabbing Fordham #4? Interesting.. you seem to have as much faith in them as I do... I think we should start a "the only two people who think Fordham can win" club.

Am I? Muuuuuu-haaahhaaaaaaa!

http://www.riedog.com/mugatu.jpg

Seriously though, if one's analyzing the PL, you can't overlook the impact of a 5th year senior running back like Prydatko and linebacker like Taylor. Putting those two up against the 3 teams I've already done (BU, HC, GU) makes the decision pretty easy IMO.

Pard4Life
June 27th, 2006, 02:28 PM
13... This has always puzzled me and I have not found an explanation...

why are the revenues and expenses listed as the same figure for football and basketball at Lafayette?

Revenues I

Men Women Total
Basketball $839,243 $713,106 $1,552,349
Football $2,786,710 $2,786,710

Expenses

Men Women Total
Basketball $839,244 $713,107 $1,552,351
Football $2,786,710 $2,786,710

It's also intersting to note we lose about $600,000 each year on athletics. I thought it would be much more. We actually make a sizeable profit? Or are those donations calculated into 'profits'?

Go...gate
June 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Nice job again, 13. I also think the Rams will rebound this year and will be over .500.

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
That's an accountant question... but methinks the revenue includes need-based aid. When you throw that in there, I can see how most teams break even. But exactly? Someone basically shifts money out if there is a profit or puts money in to cover a loss to make it even. :twocents:

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Nice job again, 13. I also think the Rams will rebound this year and will be over .500.

Make that THREE people who think Fordham can win club P4L!

Pard4Life
June 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Am I? Muuuuuu-haaahhaaaaaaa!

http://www.riedog.com/mugatu.jpg

Seriously though, if one's analyzing the PL, you can't overlook the impact of a 5th year senior running back like Prydatko and linebacker like Taylor. Putting those two up against the 3 teams I've already done (BU, HC, GU) makes the decision pretty easy IMO.

Or you can be putting Colgate in as the #4 slot... that was my other guess for #4 aside from Fordham. :D

Pard4Life
June 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
That's an accountant question... but methinks the revenue includes need-based aid. When you throw that in there, I can see how most teams break even. But exactly? Someone basically shifts money out if there is a profit or puts money in to cover a loss to make it even. :twocents:

Ah ok I remember this discussion, the money is moved in and out of general school funds right? So it's not exact..

Revenue is need-based aid? So what's ultimately an expesne to the school is revenue for athletics? :confused:

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Or you can be putting Colgate in as the #4 slot... that was my other guess for #4 aside from Fordham. :D

Honestly, #1 is not set in stone right now...

colgate13
June 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Ah ok I remember this discussion, the money is moved in and out of general school funds right? So it's not exact..

Revenue is need-based aid? So what's ultimately an expesne to the school is revenue for athletics? :confused:

Yea, nuts isn't it?

carney2
June 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Honestly, #1 is not set in stone right now...

Yes it is. C'mon, lad, you aint dissin' the home team.

Another good one - and the first one that I don't have even one tiny nit to pick with you.

Where ya been? This one took two weeks. I was beginning to worry.

carney2
June 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM

There ya have it. The intricacies of fund accounting coupled with the loosey goosey, unsupervised, non standardized way that academia counts its beans and...well I'll be surprised if you ever get any authoritative and thorough answers to your questions. The only differences between Enron accounting and college/university accounting is that academia doesn't grant stock options and has no shareholders. Smoke and mirrors, my boy, smoke and mirrors. And who's gonna tell them otherwise - the Trustees? Get real.

I think that if you say that Lafayette "breaks even" on basketball and football because that's what the administration wants to report, you will be as close to the "truth" as you will ever get.

ngineer
June 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM

I seem to recall a 'dark horse' thread a month or two ago, wherein I picked Fordham in that category, and 13 called that into question...change of heart?:D

TheValleyRaider
June 27th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well, let's all remember that for 13 (and myself, I have to say) the Patriot League is in 2 catagories. The Haves (CU, LU, LC) and Have-Nots (BU, HC, FU, GU), if you will. Within each group, anyone can win against the others. Between groups, it'll be the Haves winning almost everytime.

I personally think he just threw each group into a hat and drew lots :D

Ken_Z
June 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Within each group, anyone can win against the others. Between groups, it'll be the Haves winning almost everytime.

good thing you included almost. see you in Lewisburg.

ngineer
June 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
The interesting question is who among the "have nots" is on the cusp and ready to step into the deep water??

Pard4Life
June 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
The interesting question is who among the "have nots" is on the cusp and ready to step into the deep water??

This year, I think three categories will emerge in the league... the haves, have nots, and the middle of the road teams (not bad, not quite up to par with the top 3). I think Fordham and G'town are in the best position to move into that middle category. But outside of LC, LU, CU, nobody is ready for deep water.. at least in two years.

TheValleyRaider
June 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Actually I was thinking of HC-Lehigh :p

And I can't wait for our trip down to Lewisburg this year either :thumbsup:

LUHawker
June 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Actually I was thinking of HC-Lehigh :p

Lightning isn't likely to strike twice in the same place:nonono2:

colgate13
June 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I seem to recall a 'dark horse' thread a month or two ago, wherein I picked Fordham in that category, and 13 called that into question...change of heart?:D

Research...:)

colgate13
June 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM

It's why we play the game Ken. Early prediction: Scott runs silly over the Bison defense.:p

Pard4Life
June 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM
It's why we play the game Ken. Early prediction: Scott runs silly over the Bison defense.:p

That's more like a presupposed fact.