PDA

View Full Version : MVFC vs. SoCon conference challenge

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Apphole kinda gave me an idea (at least for debate anyway). What if the two conferences played each other with the matchups based on 2011 conference standings? Put your picks in bold and a short rational for the pick (if you would like).

NDSU vs. Georgia Southern
UNI vs. Wofford
Illinois State vs. App State
Indiana State vs. Furman
Youngstown State vs. Samford
South Dakota State vs. Chatty
Southern Ill vs. Elon
Missouri State vs. Citadel
Western Ill vs. Western Carolina

I will leave South Dakota out since they are new this year and it would be an odd number.

Well.....who ya got? This should be interesting.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Apphole kinda gave me an idea (at least for debate anyway). What if the two conferences played each other with the matchups based on 2011 conference standings? Put your picks in bold and a short rational for the pick (if you would like).

UNI vs. Wofford
Indiana State vs. Furman
Southern Ill vs. Elon

I will leave South Dakota out since they are new this year and it would be an odd number.

No offense but since two of those games were actually played, the matchups should be different.

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Seen it...would like to see it again, but I'll still give the edge to NDSU.

UNI vs. Wofford
Ditto...yeah, I know what happened to Wofford, but you still need to execute.

Interesting game, but I've gotta give it to ASU.

Indiana State vs. Furman
Which ISUb team shows up? I guess I will take Furple.

Like ISUb, which Penguin team will we see? I still take them over Samford.

Chatty plays in the NFL. They win. Seriously though, I think Chatty would give SDSU a bit too much. The Jacks did improve towards the end of the year though.

Southern Ill vs. Elon
Gonna take the Salukis. Admittedly haven't watched alot of Elon, but I think Southern's D would give them the edge.

I'll give it to THE Citadel, but I think it would be interesting to see if they could keep pace with Misery State scoring.

Yeah, I know its Western Ill....but it's still Western Carolina. I'll take the Leathernecks to win.

GlassOnion
July 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
UNI vs. Wofford Draw
Indiana State vs. Furman
Southern Ill vs. Elon

GlassOnion
July 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Lol, you beat me to it! I picked UNI Wofford as a draw, didnt Wofford give up a TD just because their return man didnt down the kickoff?

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
No offense but since two of those games were actually played, the matchups should be different.

Don't necessarily disagree, but if we are looking at it as far as which conference is deeper (and how they would stack up against each other), I thought it made more sense to keep them in order based on conference standings.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Well if you're basing them purely on 2011 rankings, it's a pretty simple google search to find the answer for the first three.

UNI vs. Wofford

I could have pared them to have a 2/1 SoCon advantage too FYI

The rest I'd take:
Indiana State vs. Furman
Youngstown Statevs. Samford
Southern Ill vs. Elon

Wouldn't it be more fun to go by projected 2012 stats? Not being pushy, it's your thread. Just sayin'

chattownmocs
July 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
NDSU
UNI
App
Furman
Youngstown State
Chattanooga
Elon
Citadel
Western Illinois

SOCON wins

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lol, you beat me to it! I picked UNI Wofford as a draw, didnt Wofford give up a TD just because their return man didnt down the kickoff?

An ESPN not top 10....pretty bad. Like Herm says..."You play to win the game". Execute, execute, execute....

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
..and this turns into a MVFC vs SoCon pissing contest in 3....2.....1....

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM
..and this turns into a MVFC vs SoCon pissing contest in 3....2.....1....

Uh, I think that started with the OP....

This is a pissing contest thread

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Much of this would depend on where the games are played, I think. Homefield advantage is generally worth something in the FCS. I think those matchups look like interesting discussion. Hard to know much because I would imagine most SoCon fans are completely uneducated of MVFC football, and vice versa.

I'm not sure of the record all time, but I think the SoCon has fared pretty well against those teams historically.

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Well if you're basing them purely on 2011 rankings, it's a pretty simple google search to find the answer for the first three.

UNI vs. Wofford

I could have pared them to have a 2/1 SoCon advantage too FYI

The rest I'd take:
Indiana State vs. Furman
Youngstown Statevs. Samford
Southern Ill vs. Elon

Wouldn't it be more fun to go by projected 2012 stats? Not being pushy, it's your thread. Just sayin'

Samford over Youngstown State? As far as projected 2012, I guess I didn't think of doing that. Maybe because the conversations have been focused on last year that my head is stuck in 2011. Either way, the data was readily available to use last year's final standings.

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Uh, I think that started with the OP....

This is a pissing contest thread

I dunno. I personally think its an improvement to at least try to debate on football. If anything, maybe if we give actual insight in regards to these matchups, a casual MVFC or SoCon fan could gain a bit more insight into each other's conference and have a starting/reference point to work with....or would we rather just keep discussing which FBS conference <insert flavor of week team here> joins? I'll hang up and listen. :D

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Much of this would depend on where the games are played, I think. Homefield advantage is generally worth something in the FCS. I think those matchups look like interesting discussion. Hard to know much because I would imagine most SoCon fans are completely uneducated of MVFC football, and vice versa.

I'm not sure of the record all time, but I think the SoCon has fared pretty well against those teams historically.

True...how about seperate answers for home/away?

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Homefield advantage is only a factor at a small handful of FCS schools. Montana, NDSU, App and to a lesser extent GaSo.

I suppose you could argue that the lack of a good atmosphere is a factor. I know our team always falls asleep at Wofford and doesn't play well.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Homefield advantage is only a factor at a small handful of FCS schools. Montana, NDSU, App and to a lesser extent GaSo.

I suppose you could argue that the lack of a good atmosphere is a factor. I know our team always falls asleep at Wofford and doesn't play well.

There is no "to a lesser extent" to it. GSU has a higher home winning percentage than App. does and ours is probably higher than anyone's except Montana.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
There is no "to a lesser extent" to it. GSU has a higher home winning percentage than App. does and ours is probably higher than anyone's except Montana.

Pretty incomparable numbers considering we've been playing football for 3x longer. The Rock is significantly louder than Paulson.

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 12:29 PM

UNI vs. Wofford
Indiana State vs. Furman
Southern Ill vs. Elon

I seriously do not see a SoCon winner in the entire bunch with these matchups.

I know Missouri St just stinks, but that's because they play in the most talented, most competitive conference. They'd handle Citadel.

Best chance for a SoCon win is the two ISU's v App and Furman. Just depends which ISU teams show up to the game. And I'm assuming these are neutral sites.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM

I know Missouri St just stinks, but that's because they play in the most talented, most competitive conference. They'd handle Citadel.

Best chance for a SoCon win is the two ISU's v App and Furman. Just depends which ISU teams show up to the game. And I'm assuming these are neutral sites.

Delusional

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Pretty incomparable numbers considering we've been playing football for 3x longer. The Rock is significantly louder than Paulson.

Not really.

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Delusional

Put your money where your mouth is.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Not really.

Yes really... Are you serious?

8-10k more people, better acoustics for crowd noise, equally if not more boisterous fans....

You'd be hard pressed to even find another Stink fan to agree with you

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM

I'm curious as to how the winner of that bet would be determined?

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Yes really... Are you serious?

8-10k more people, better acoustic' for crowd noise, equally if not more boisterous fans....

You'd be hard pressed to even find another Stink fan to agree with you

It wouldn't be all that hard.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM

At the end of the 2012 season, take all the top 25 ranked teams from each conference, average the number for each conference. $50 the SoCon number is higher?

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot. Low admission standards and all...xcoffeex

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Brilliant!!

344Johnson
July 9th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Samford over Youngstown State? As far as projected 2012, I guess I didn't think of doing that. Maybe because the conversations have been focused on last year that my head is stuck in 2011. Either way, the data was readily available to use last year's final standings.

I would imagine Youngstown winning if they actually showed up. Never a gaurantee.

344Johnson
July 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM

You have got to be kidding me....

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM

No...it's really just that I've been to games in both stadiums enough.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Both are plenty loud. KBS gets my award for earth shaking cheers after a big play. Paulson is the winner when it comes to organized cheers.

For example, after a home team touchdown, KBS is louder. App does not have anything that resembles the "whose house?" chant, though.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Both are plenty loud. KBS gets my award for earth shaking cheers after a big play. Paulson is the winner when it comes to organized cheers.

For example, after a home team touchdown, KBS is louder. App does not have anything that resembles the "whose house?" chant, though.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the noise on the field when the visiting team has the ball, particularly on third down plays.

Anyone who sits on the visitors side of Paulson knows you have a lot of crazy people over there including 8k students yelling right into the press box.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Nothing? How about, say, this (I filmed this from the top of the field house. It's very loud up there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqT9F8dJfmk

Anyway, 3rd down is louder at KBS. That's the more important thing.

cbarrier90
July 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
If ASU could get rid of the track and move the fans closer to the field, KBS acoustics would significantly be improved. To piggyback off what Paladin said, KBS doesn't result in as many false starts as other places because more sound has the opportunity to escape, though the mountainous terrain and endzone seats have improved this somewhat. The advantage of Washington-Griz is that the stands are only feet away from the field and sound cannot escape. The same can be said for domes and Paulson.

Now, about this challenge...

Apphole vs. Mpls

seantaylor vs. Lakes

Chattown vs. JBB

Make your picks...

344Johnson
July 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Apphole vs. Mpls

seantaylor vs. Lakes

Chattown vs. JBB

Make your picks...

Not fair. You want NDSU to go against the entire SoCon in an asshole fan challenge? Oh wait...we'll still win. Can TheFan represent the SoCon as an honorary member?

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Not fair. You want NDSU to go against the entire SoCon in an asshole fan challenge? Oh wait...we'll still win. Can TheFan represent the SoCon as an honorary member?

TheFan gets the PL autobid...since Patriot fans will never be an "at large" :D

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Apphole vs. Mpls

seantaylor vs. Lakes

Chattown vs. JBB

Make your picks...

**** you. I'm not among those people

I was going to negative rep you, but I've given you so many positive reps, I have to spread some more first. And to think you'd say this after we started following each other on Twitter. SMH

cbarrier90
July 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM

I was going to negative rep you, but I've given you so many positive reps, I have to spread some more first. And to think you'd say this after we started following each other on Twitter. SMH

Hey, now! It's just an idea for a fake contest! You can substitute whichever fans you like! Geez!

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Apphole vs MPLS vs Chattownmocs in a triangle of death throwdown.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hey, now! It's just an idea for a fake contest! You can substitute whichever fans you like! Geez!

At least pare me with Citdog or something

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Apphole vs MPLS vs Chattownmocs in a triangle of death throwdown.

How about the Rev vs Chattown. Clergy vs Satan. The ultimate battle for the soul of FCS football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=jFZwOaXVwsk&NR=1

344Johnson
July 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM

What kind of person does that? Begins following a fellow fan on twitter and then throws him under the bus?

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
How about the Rev vs Chattown. Clergy vs Satan. The ultimate battle for the soul of FCS football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=jFZwOaXVwsk&NR=1

I'd win, for I am all that is man.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
What kind of person does that? Begins following a fellow fan on twitter and then throws him under the bus?

I'm not mad, just disappointed

cbarrier90
July 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Autobids:

SoCon: Chattownmocs
Southland: TheRevSFA
MVFC: MPLSBison
Patriot: TheFan

At-large:

SoCon: seantaylor, Apphole, Citdog
MVFC: Lakesbison, JBB

Debate/change/add as you see fit...

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Autobids:

At-large:

Is this smack talk playoff? Douche showdown? Cage match?

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not a douche.

I'm a well refined asshole. Thank you.

cbarrier90
July 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Is this smack talk playoff?

Well, that's what it turned into. And by the way, in no way is this supposed to be a personal attack on certain posters. In fact, I enjoy reading and responding to the input of all posters listed. I'm simply throwing out names that I think would be terrific representatives in this playoff. If anything, it is a compliment.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Autobids:

At-large:

Debate/change as you see fit...

There are plenty of SLC clowns, Rev is about the exact opposite.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Well, that's what it turned into. And by the way, in no way is this supposed to be a personal attack on certain posters. I'm simply throwing out names that I think would be terrific representatives in this playoff.

I'm personally glad you think so highly (or lowly?) of me

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm not a douche.

I'm a well refined asshole. Thank you.

I actually told my friend that the other day. That I was not a douche, just an *** hole. Perhaps a dick. But not a douche. There's just something about the title of "douche" that I want no part of. You and I are in a different genre of unpleasantry.

As soon as Ursus gets on this thread it's off to smack and or lounge.

cbarrier90
July 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'm personally glad you think so highly (or lowly?) of me

Your "Did ASU get an invite yet?" updates are pure gold, Rev, even if they do mock my beloved team.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Your "Did ASU get an invite yet?" updates are pure gold, Rev, even if they do mock my beloved team.

Haha....I can't resist. Nothing against App..I actually like App...but I can't resist.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Haha....I can't resist. Nothing against App..I actually like App...but I can't resist.

You like us so much you can't stand the thought of us leaving. Hence the anti-App-to-FBS zings all the time. Don't worry man, we'll come back to say hello after we move.

AshevilleApp2
July 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Autobids:

At-large:

Citdog in a rout.

BisonBohl
July 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Its must be the off-season...

pleahy1
July 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by cbarrier90
Autobids:

At-large:

Citdog in a rout.

I'll take chattownmocs in a long drawn out win. He'll just keep talking and whining until everyone else quits and goes home

NoDak 4 Ever
July 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Autobids:

At-large:

Citdog in a rout.

I'll take chattownmocs in a long drawn out win. He'll just keep talking and whining until everyone else quits and goes home

Oh my god, can you imagine an chattown/Mpls final? hundreds of pages of repetitive delusions.

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Autobids:

At-large:

Citdog in a rout.

Chattown: "blah blah blah, that's not what I saw, blah blah blah, we out played you, blah blah blah, some moral victory"
Lakes: "WOO! PuMp iT UP!!!! Partying in VEGAS! UND SUCKS!"
TheFan: "<insert internet tough guy threat>"
Citdog: "<insert wine/cheese crowd fan> is yankee scum"
MPLS: "*flings poo* I know you are, but what am I"
JBB: "<insert explicit gay porn>"

...and repeat. Who really wins?

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Chattown: "blah blah blah, that's not what I saw, blah blah blah, we out played you, blah blah blah, some moral victory"
Lakes: "WOO! PuMp iT UP!!!! Partying in VEGAS! UND SUCKS!"
TheFan: "<insert internet tough guy threat>"
Citdog: "<insert wine/cheese crowd fan> is yankee scum"
MPLS: "*flings poo* I know you are, but what am I"
JBB: "<insert explicit gay porn>"

...and repeat. Who really wins?

Oh do me! Do me!

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Oh do me! Do me!

I thought you took your ball and went home? Since when are you back in the game? :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
My 2$:

NDSU: Bison would win at GSU this year or at home.
UNI
App State
Ind State
YSU
Chatty
SIU
Citadel
WIU

I think NDSU, YSU and UNI could beat any SoCon team at their house this coming year. These 3 teams are going to be tough.

asumike83
July 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM
My 2$:

NDSU: Bison would win at GSU this year or at home.
UNI
App State
Ind State
YSU
Chatty
SIU
Citadel
WIU

I think NDSU, YSU and UNI could beat any SoCon team at their house this coming year. These 3 teams are going to be tough.

Depends what you mean by "could" beat any SoCon team at their house. If they played well, then it is certainly possible because they are all tough teams. However, with the exception of NDSU, I would not expect them to go into Paulson or Kidd-Brewer and walk out a winner this year. In the literal sense, yes they could but I wouldn't bet on it.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I thought you took your ball and went home? Since when are you back in the game? :D

Check Cbarrier's roster. I'm still in the game whether I like it or not.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 08:49 PM
You like us so much you can't stand the thought of us leaving. Hence the anti-App-to-FBS zings all the time. Don't worry man, we'll come back to say hello after we move.

Not so much like that, but you can think that all you want

I just find it funny that there are a ton of threads about App getting an invite and app going FBS but it hasn't happened

Skjellyfetti
July 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Why aren't there many threads on SFA? People just don't give a ****?

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Why aren't there many threads on SFA? People just don't give a ****?

True, but at least we don't look like asses going after a carrot that you won't catch for another decade

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Look, App is a FCS powerhouse who sets the standard for football, but what does it say when you have been passed up by a bunch of never-will-bes in regards to Charlotte and GA State and ODU? It means that what you've done in FCS doesn't mean **** due to Boone's size

Look at the other FBS transfers - they have the Tidewater, Charlotte, Atlanta, San Antonio/Austin, DFW, and Mobile/biloxi markets

Your FBS aspirations are about 15 years too late. The 90s jumps had to do with performance (somewhat)

Skjellyfetti
July 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Look, App is a FCS powerhouse who sets the standard for football, but what does it say when you have been passed up by a bunch of never-will-bes in regards to Charlotte and GA State and ODU? It means that what you've done in FCS doesn't mean **** due to Boone's size

Look at the other FBS transfers - they have the Tidewater, Charlotte, Atlanta, San Antonio/Austin, DFW, and Mobile/biloxi markets

You're not telling us anything we don't know.

But, should we should just say "**** it" and settle for the 2nd (or 3rd, depending on perspective) tier of college football?

I mean, the only thing we're hurting by pursuing FBS membership and not getting it is our online cred on an extremely niche message board. Right?

If our leadership believes it's in our university's best interest to move up... then, we should pursue that. Quitting because it's difficult or it takes time, etc. would be the absolute worst thing we could do, imo.

penguinpower
July 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Everyone needs to stop being homers and understand the conferences. Last year the CAA was down, the SoCon did not have the defenses that were required to win it all. This is a new year and the younger teams that were good and have retained talent will be in the hunt. Not being a homer, but MVFC and SoCon are probably positioned well with starters, however, it all depends on who had the ability to gain depth during the off season too. SHS was an anomaly IMOP because the Southland did not have as much talent and they did not have to rely on as much depth going into the playoffs. I know I will be crucified for this post, but it is my opinion. NDSU had the most depth and the best defense which resulted in a win. I getting to be an old man and I have seen many decades of football. The young teams that had potential the year before are the dark horses in the race, but the outliers are the teams that can bully themselves through weaker conferences and have a good starting team ready for the playoffs. The MVFC is a physical and brutal conference and many occurrences, when it is playoff time, the MVFC fails because many stars are sidelined with injuries. Given the limited # of scholarships, what happens is the depth becomes a factor, therefore, if you can have an easy schedule with a talented team you have a great opportunity. Not to bash SHSU, but they were outclassed against a deep NDSU team last year.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM

But, should we should just say "**** it" and settle for the 2nd (or 3rd, depending on perspective) tier of college football?

I mean, the only thing we're hurting by pursuing FBS membership and not getting it is our online cred on an extremely niche message board. Right?

If our leadership believes it's in our university's best interest to move up... then, we should pursue that. Quitting because it's difficult or it takes time, etc. would be the absolute worst thing we could do, imo.

No I agree that you should strive for it, but realize it's probably not going to happen as soon as you think. I would love to be wrong on this

BisonBacker
July 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Man how did I miss this thread. I'd rep each one of you MOFO's who have posted in this thread but Its late and I'm to damned lazy but great reading and some funny shat and good analysis. xthumbsupx

Redbird Ray
July 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I love how everyone on here is just assuming that because App won several championships several years ago that they would have just rolled Illinois State last season. Not sure what would have happened but there's a lot of uninformed decisions on that one.

FWIW, Illinois State finished higher than App State in the Sagarin ratings last year, and was ranked ahead of them in the national rankings for a good part of the year last year as well. In fact, while App State had a pretty decent case for tourney inclusion, they were one of 3-4 teams I was pretty pissed that got in over Da Birds. The weak playoff showing against Maine exposed how overrated App State was last year. I'm pretty sure Illinois State would have been very capable of beating Appy last season.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I love how everyone on here is just assuming that because App won several championships several years ago that they would have just rolled Illinois State last season. Not sure what would have happened but there's a lot of uninformed decisions on that one.

FWIW, Illinois State finished higher than App State in the Sagarin ratings last year, and was ranked ahead of them in the national rankings for a good part of the year last year as well. In fact, while App State had a pretty decent case for tourney inclusion, they were one of 3-4 teams I was pretty pissed that got in over Da Birds. The weak playoff showing against Maine exposed how overrated App State was last year. I'm pretty sure Illinois State would have been very capable of beating Appy last season.

http://vicorientation.ca/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AndHereWeGo.gif

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2012, 07:35 AM

....just don't lose to EIU this year.....

ILL State was a very good team last year, saw it firsthand in Fargo. They will be tough this year again. Looking at their schedule it wouldn't surprise me if they enter the conference schedule 3-0.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
....just don't lose to EIU this year.....

ILL State was a very good team last year, saw it firsthand in Fargo. They will be tough this year again. Looking at their schedule it wouldn't surprise me if they enter the conference schedule 3-0.

They'd have made the playoffs if they hadn't stepped on their dicks against UNI. ISUb had a good shot but blew it too on the last day of the season.

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
In fact, while App State had a pretty decent case for tourney inclusion, they were one of 3-4 teams I was pretty pissed that got in over Da Birds. The weak playoff showing against Maine exposed how overrated App State was last year. I'm pretty sure Illinois State would have been very capable of beating Appy last season.

ASU was exposed as overrated long before the Maine game. If not for Elon choking on a 21-0 lead in the final week, ASU certainly wouldn't have been in the field.

And like it or not, the at-large bids are greatly influenced by history and, most importantly, $$$$. At the end of the day, if both ISU and ASU qualify for an at-large bid, ASU is going to get it simply because they can throw more $$$$ at the NCAA.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM

I agree that Appalachian was overrated last year, the playoff flop proved that pretty well as did subpar performances against Elon, Furman and Wofford.

Still, there is no basis for suggesting that Illinois State should have gotten the nod over App for a playoff bid. ASU was 8-3 with two FCS losses. Illinois State was 7-4 with 4 FCS losses, 3 to quality teams and 1 to the last place team in the OVC. ISU did not have a win over a playoff team. ASU was the only FCS team to beat Georgia Southern in the regular season. Appalachian had a better overall record despite playing a BCS opponent, a much better win on their resume than Illinois State and no loss that was anywhere near as ugly as losing to 2-win Eastern Illinois. Illinois State was a solid team but there is no argument to be made for them over Appalachian. 4 FCS losses and no marquee win or 2 FCS losses and a win over one of the national seeds. There is no comparison.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Great post. If all these nonsense rumors have taught us anything, it is that nobody really seems to know what is going on. We have no idea when the right opportunity will be available. It could be in five weeks or five years and we need to be ready when the time comes. In the meantime, I am happy with the direction our program is headed and could care less if other school's fans are amused at the difficult process.

TheRevSFA
July 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Great post. If all these nonsense rumors have taught us anything, it is that nobody really seems to know what is going on. We have no idea when the right opportunity will be available. It could be in five weeks or five years and we need to be ready when the time comes. In the meantime, I am happy with the direction our program is headed and could care less if other school's fans are amused at the difficult process.

You missed the boat. The process and you guys trying..that's not amusing

Seeing threads with "App will get invite by June 1st" and it not happening..that's amusing.

Redbird Ray
July 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I agree that Appalachian was overrated last year, the playoff flop proved that pretty well as did subpar performances against Elon, Furman and Wofford.

Still, there is no basis for suggesting that Illinois State should have gotten the nod over App for a playoff bid. ASU was 8-3 with two FCS losses. Illinois State was 7-4 with 4 FCS losses, 3 to quality teams and 1 to the last place team in the OVC. ISU did not have a win over a playoff team. ASU was the only FCS team to beat Georgia Southern in the regular season. Appalachian had a better overall record despite playing a BCS opponent, a much better win on their resume than Illinois State and no loss that was anywhere near as ugly as losing to 2-win Eastern Illinois. Illinois State was a solid team but there is no argument to be made for them over Appalachian. 4 FCS losses and no marquee win or 2 FCS losses and a win over one of the national seeds. There is no comparison.

Sure there's room for comparison. Two of apps non-conf wins came over HBCUs, basically D2 competition. The selection committee doesn't evaluate D1 wins that way, but everyone with even a scant amount of knowledge on FCS football knows that's pretty much how it is. Georgia Southern was a nice win for sure, but there were also plenty of shaky performances against mediocre to downright bad SoCon teams mixed in there as well.

ISU screwed themselves by faceplanting in week 1 against EIU, but had a 4 game winning streak (two of those wins would come over teams that would finish with higher sag ratings than appy) going into the final week of the year, when they took a top 5 team to double OT.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
You missed the boat. The process and you guys trying..that's not amusing

Seeing threads with "App will get invite by June 1st" and it not happening..that's amusing.

I agree, it is comical at this point. I know he was responding to your comment but what I said was not directed at you. There are a lot of people who love to tell us how amused they are that we haven't gotten an FBS invite.

TheRevSFA
July 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I agree, it is comical at this point. I know he was responding to your comment but what I said was not directed at you. There are a lot of people who love to tell us how amused they are that we haven't gotten an FBS invite.

I truly hope you guys do. You'd be one of the schools I supported moving up. You aren't getting it on market (like GA State, UNC-Charlotte, or TX State/UTSA) You guys are getting it because you aren't putting the cart before the horse. You can fill KBS..etc..etc...etc..

But I do laugh at the threads...and throw in the occasional knock knock joke

Redbird Ray
July 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
BTW, I'm not hating on App. Just think it would be a closer game than most originally might have thought. App definitely deserved to be in over JMU and EKU last season.

Obviously, since Illinois State is going to win the national title this year, we would win a head to head with anyone from the SoCon in 2012.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Sure there's room for comparison. Two of apps non-conf wins came over HBCUs, basically D2 competition. The selection committee doesn't evaluate D1 wins that way, but everyone with even a scant amount of knowledge on FCS football knows that's pretty much how it is. Georgia Southern was a nice win for sure, but there were also plenty of shaky performances against mediocre to downright bad SoCon teams mixed in there as well.

ISU screwed themselves by faceplanting in week 1 against EIU, but had a 4 game winning streak (two of those wins would come over teams that would finish with higher sag ratings than appy) going into the final week of the year, when they took a top 5 team to double OT.

ISU's two non-conference opponents to open the season were 2-win EIU and 3-win, non-scholarship Morehead State. They went 1-1. App played a money game and two cupcakes, ISU played two cupcakes and an average South Dakota team.

The Sagarin doesn't really mean much, racking up losses to good teams will move you up the rankings considerably. Chattanooga, Eastern Washington, Southern Utah and Cal Poly were all ranked higher than App for that reason. Playing UNI close at home shows you are a competitive team but you have to win that game. They get that marquee win like App did over GSU, they are in the field and JMU or EKU is at home. I understand your beef with being left out but if you are comparing resumes, it should be with one of the 7-win teams who got in.

I do think ISU/ASU would have been a good game. Both teams were good and not great but I'd give Appalachian the nod.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM

ISU screwed themselves by faceplanting in week 1 against EIU, but had a 4 game winning streak (two of those wins would come over teams that would finish with higher sag ratings than appy) going into the final week of the year, when they took a top 5 team and gave away the game.

FIFY

So many chances they let slip through their fingers. A real victory would have helped, moral victories do not.

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM

UNI vs. Wofford
Indiana State vs. Furman
Southern Ill vs. Elon

If GSU played NDSU again with the same exact teams I believe that we would score more points than last season but the results would be the same.
NDSU proved on the field that they were the best FCS team in the nation in 2011. Although GSUs QB was a sound play caller his speed, quickness and agility never was a threat to your defense. I don’t know who our new QB will be but both contenders have the speed, quickness and agility that are needed to make the triple option a triple threat & if they can connect on 8 of 12 passes there will be hell to pay this year for the NDSU faithful. …………………………. ;-)

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
At the end of the 2012 season, take all the top 25 ranked teams from each conference, average the number for each conference. $50 the SoCon number is higher?

Figures.

We're talking about head to head match-ups, settled on the field, and you change it to rankings. No thanks.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Shouldn't of mattered.

IL St, IN St and YSU all deserved the playoffs last year. I don't give a ____ about anything. Better than 3 other teams that were in it.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
If GSU played NDSU again with the same exact teams I believe that we would score more points than last season but the results would be the same.
NDSU proved on the field that they were the best FCS team in the nation in 2011. Although GSUs QB was a sound play caller his speed, quickness and agility never was a threat to your defense. I don’t know who our new QB will be but both contenders have the speed, quickness and agility that are needed to make the triple option a triple threat & if they can connect on 8 of 12 passes there will be hell to pay this year for the NDSU faithful. …………………………. ;-)

Oh weird, a brainwashed triple option fan that thinks his school has a secret offense that no one can stop --- oh, just wait until we get the "right" players! What a joke.

If the triple option was any better than the rest of the offensive schemes, everyone would run it. Bohl's mentor and idol - Tom Osborne (***NOT*** Frank Solich) - is a legend and god among the triple option crowd. That's what Nebraska was running when it won national championships (defense won it, though). STILL, Bohl dictates to this day that NDSU will run the west coast offense. Smartest decision he's ever made.

Run along now, adult football is being discussed.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Figures.

We're talking about head to head match-ups, settled on the field, and you change it to rankings. No thanks.

Well considering you and I can't schedule games, it seemed like a good way to quantify/settle it.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Oh weird, a brainwashed triple option fan that thinks his school has a secret offense that no one can stop --- oh, just wait until we get the "right" players! What a joke.

If the triple option was any different from any other offensive scheme, everyone would run it. Run along now, adult football is being discussed.

By whom? I'm convinced that you are about 14 years old on summer break and only here because your mom has the porn filter on and you can't figure it out.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Well considering you and I can't schedule games, it seemed like a good way to quantify/settle it.

NDSU throat stomps GSU. UNI beats Wofford. Both of those teams finished ahead of every other SoCon team.

That works for me. Pay up.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
NDSU throat stomps GSU. UNI beats Wofford. Both of those teams finished ahead of every other SoCon team.

That works for me. Pay up.

False.

Congrats on 2 good teams though. If the 2011 NDSU and UNI squads played every single SoCon team, you might come out on top. The SoCon consistently has 3-4 teams vying for playoff spots. Not some cupcake conference schedule to dominate on the way to the playoffs like NDSU and UNI. Conference as a whole, SoCon>MVFC. This is the first year you can even claim to have a better conference champion.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
False.

Congrats on 2 good teams though. If the 2011 NDSU and UNI squads played every single SoCon team, you might come out on top. The SoCon consistently has 3-4 teams vying for playoff spots. Not some cupcake conference schedule to dominate on the way to the playoffs like NDSU and UNI. Conference as a whole, SoCon>MVFC. This is the first year you can even claim to have a better conference champion.

Wofford and App were both 6-2 and Woff beat App. Woff was 2nd. I am correct.

The top 5 from the MVFC last year were easily, easily more talented and more competitive than the top 5 in the SoCon. That's a $100 bet I'd take every day of the week.

As a whole, the MVFC is laughably more competitive than the SoCon. Especially last year. The MVFC literally beat each other up with modern, powerful running games that southern teams can't comprehend. They're too busy going shotgun with some little scatback QB doing roll outs and flinging a duck out to one of five 180lbs receivers. Except, of course, the teams running 1940's offenses.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM
As a whole, the MVFC is laughably more competitive than the SoCon. Especially last year. The MVFC literally beat each other up with modern, powerful running games that southern teams can't comprehend. They're too busy going shotgun with some little scatback QB doing roll outs and flinging a duck out to one of five 180lbs receivers. Except, of course, the teams running 1940's offenses.

How is the spread not modern? Do you watch BCS football or are you too busy watching toothless Canadiens figure skate and beat the **** out of each other?

That 1940's offense and our scatback QB spread had garnered 9 D-1 National Championships. Ours came in the last decade.

I'll take the speed of Southern football over the corn fed, fat ***, not good enough to play hockey breed you grow up in lutefisk town. The MVFC, even in it's strongest year by far last year (fluke BTW) was still not as strong, top to bottom, as the SoCon.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
How is the spread not modern? Do you watch BCS football or are you too busy watching toothless Canadiens figure skate and beat the **** out of each other?

That 1940's offense and our scatback QB spread had garnered 9 D-1 National Championships. Ours came in the last decade.

I'll take the speed of Southern football over the corn fed, fat ***, not good enough to play hockey breed you grow up in lutefisk town. The MVFC, even in it's strongest year by far last year (fluke BTW) was still not as strong, top to bottom, as the SoCon.

I dunno Apphole. I think we showed we had plenty of "SPEED" against GSU, SHSU, etc.

Professor Chaos
July 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
###Apphole ##vs #MplsBison
http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/randmid_1335893242_stephensmithskip.jpg

What a battle!

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I dunno Apphole. I think we showed we had plenty of "SPEED" against GSU, SHSU, etc.

One team, one year. You could never match the consistent speed of a southern conference. Just look at the way the SEC dominates year after year.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM
###Apphole ##vs #MplsBison
http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/randmid_1335893242_stephensmithskip.jpg

What a battle!

If I start to lose, I can always play the race card.

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM

If the triple option was any better than the rest of the offensive schemes, everyone would run it. Bohl's mentor and idol - Tom Osborne (***NOT*** Frank Solich) - is a legend and god among the triple option crowd. That's what Nebraska was running when it won national championships (defense won it, though). STILL, Bohl dictates to this day that NDSU will run the west coast offense. Smartest decision he's ever made.

Run along now, adult football is being discussed.

MplsBison, I stated in my post the NDSU was the best team in FCS in 2011. Your coaching was excellent and you had the players to execute your offensive & DEFENSIVE scheme. NDSU had all the parts in place to romp through the FCS. Are you saying that your players weren’t the best on the field and it was all coaching? Now I’ll give it to you that your coaching was excellent but you need a certain corps of players to go as far as you did. What I’m saying is that this years GSU QB will decide on how far we will go. I think we have the coaching staff & the players to make another run in the playoffs, but the QB will be the key to our progress.

Mpls "Run along now, adult football is being discussed." Sorry coachxconfusedx

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM

MVFC already kicked the SoCon's a____, duh! Ready for another helping of grits?

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
MplsBison, I stated in my post the NDSU was the best team in FCS in 2011. Your coaching was excellent and you had the players to execute your offensive & DEFENSIVE scheme. NDSU had all the parts in place to romp through the FCS. Are you saying that your players weren’t the best on the field and it was all coaching? Now I’ll give it to you that your coaching was excellent but you need a certain corps of players to go as far as you did. What I’m saying is that this years GSU QB will decide on how far we will go. I think we have the coaching staff & the players to make another run in the playoffs, but the QB will be the key to our progress.

The QB is the most important position in team sports.

That's like saying, "if it rains, then my grass should get wet".

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
MVFC already kicked the SoCon's a____, duh! Ready for another helping of grits?

That's a pretty bold statement considering the size of the sample. Since the Wofford game was a wash, the NDSU/GaSo game is the only sample from which you're basing your claim.

Let's step back to 2007. It follows of course that you believe the SoCon was stronger than the Big 10 that year in light of an equally unrepresentative sample? Eh?

Grits are ****ing delicious. You eat pee pee fish. You are in no position to criticize regional cuisine.

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
The QB is the most important position in team sports.

That's like saying, "if it rains, then my grass should get wet".

By god, I think you've got it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houndawg
July 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
False.

Nonsense. UNI, NDSU, and ISU, were all lucky to beat SIU. ISU and NDSU both got lucky scores off of tipped passes at the end of the game and UNI was ranked 2nd and playing at home. All were one score games.xcoffeex

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Nonsense. UNI, NDSU, and ISU, were all lucky to beat SIU. ISU and NDSU both got lucky scores off of tipped passes at the end of the game and UNI was ranked 2nd and playing at home. All were one score games.xcoffeex

Geez. Dale Lennon must have crashed into a truck hauling mirrors and black cats then. That's a lot of bad luck.

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM
That's a pretty bold statement considering the size of the sample. Since the Wofford game was a wash, the NDSU/GaSo game is the only sample from which you're basing your claim.

Let's step back to 2007. It follows of course that you believe the SoCon was stronger than the Big 10 that year in light of an equally unrepresentative sample? Eh?

Grits are ****ing delicious. You eat pee pee fish. You are in no position to criticize regional cuisine.

Hey Apphole, I don’t know, but I kinda like Mpls's. He has the ability to make a big deal out insignificant thing & refute himself in the same post. He’s kind of like a hermaphrodite. He has the ability to screw himself with each post! EAT MORE GRITS

tribefan40
July 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Meh. I think it's a lot of bluster based on reputation and record when nobody's looking at the actual matchups. The playoffs are a continual example of that and last year was no different. Who expected stony brook to play shsu so tight? odu takes gsu to the wire, jmu plays ndsu as close or closer than anyone else. It's all about the matchup.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hey Apphole, I don’t know, but I kinda like Mpls's. He has the ability to make a big deal out insignificant thing & refute himself in the same post. He’s kind of like a hermaphrodite. He has the ability to screw himself with each post! EAT MORE GRITS

You had me at hermaphrodite

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
As an Appy fan you are probably fond to farm animals too, but stay on point old man we are talking about Mpls!

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Meh. I think it's a lot of bluster based on reputation and record when nobody's looking at the actual matchups. The playoffs are a continual example of that and last year was no different. Who expected stony brook to play shsu so tight? odu takes gsu to the wire, jmu plays ndsu as close or closer than anyone else. It's all about the matchup.

And yet, all of these are CAAFC *losses*! (except Stony Brook, which won't be in the CAAFC as long as it's still admin'ed by the CAA)

CAAFC, sit down in the corner. Grownups are talking.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Last year is all that counts, and barely at that.

2007?? Might as well be 1947.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
And yet, all of these are CAAFC *losses*! (except Stony Brook, which won't be in the CAAFC as long as it's still admin'ed by the CAA)

CAAFC, sit down in the corner. assholes are talking.

FIFY

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
False.

Really?

NDSU would have won the SoCon last year, period. The MV is tougher than sh**, all the teams beat up one another.

344Johnson
July 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM

That southern speed App had got dominated by Maine. Another Northern team. Northern Iowa is extremely athletic as well as is NDSU. I don't buy that southern speed argument for FCS as much as for the FBS.

One team, one year. You could never match the consistent speed of a southern conference. Just look at the way the SEC dominates year after year.

Ok. NDSU is going to disappear. One year wonder. Surely NDSU will become a slow, unathletic B1G-esque team. Northern Iowa, total joke. Illinois State, Indiana State, and Youngstown State clearly aren't emerging or re-emerging as teams to be taken seriously. Oh, and those awful Salukis are our Chattown. South Dakota, Misery St., and Western Illinois are only three teams that don't scare me.

ValleyChamp
July 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
This is really dumb.

DJKyR0
July 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1absZ.jpg

Milktruck74
July 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
MVFC wins on the book ends (albeit a very tough fight) and SoCon takes the entire middle!!!

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I liked my tournament better... :(

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'm curious what OBJECTIVE measure you southern folks are using to justify this notion that southern teams are faster. What is considered the south? Are we looking at 40 times?

It is a myth that has been perpetuated for far too long that has absolutely no roots in reality. I have never seen one shred of evidence that southern teams overall are faster.

If anything, you may be able to get me on board with because of certain types of offenses that teams run they are better able to show off their speed, but as a whole even SEC teams are not any faster than any other conference when looked at objectively.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm curious what OBJECTIVE measure you southern folks are using to justify this notion that southern teams are faster. What is considered the south? Are we looking at 40 times?

It is a myth that has been perpetuated for far too long that has absolutely no roots in reality. I have never seen one shred of evidence that southern teams overall are faster.

If anything, you may be able to get me on board with because of certain types of offenses that teams run they are better able to show off their speed, but as a whole even SEC teams are not any faster than any other conference when looked at objectively.

Comeon man, do we really have to spell it out?

(sigh) We have more black people.

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2002/01/not_so_fast.html

Southern teams do not have more black players on their teams than Northern teams, so southern teams just get all the fast black guys?

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM

I don't know about that have you seen our newest recruit???

http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ted-danson-black-face.jpg

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11845

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&SPID=12811&SPSID=104461

I'm not familiar with slate.com and their hard hitting sports journalism, so I went to the source.

If you look at starters, not just players in general, you'll find that the vast majority of starters at App are of color and NDSU is more than half honkeys.

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11845

http://www.goasu.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&SPID=12811&SPSID=104461

I'm not familiar with slate.com and their hard hitting sports journalism, so I went to the source.

If you look at starters, not just players in general, you'll find that the vast majority of starters at App are of color and NDSU is more than half honkeys.

And yet NDSU beat the piss out of 2 Southern teams and looked like the faster team to me in both games, weird.

I admit Slate.com is most likely not the best source.

If you want to continue to believe this myth to make you feel better fine, but don't act like it's actually true.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Are you talking southern teams in general or southern as in Ga.Southern? If you want to know the speed GSU used to possess watch the first video in the first post. In 1999 we averaged 430 ground yards per game, 120 passing and 50 points per game over the 15 game season. We did it through speed and execution. The 2000 team had roughly the same states. After the destruction of the team by the 2 Head Coaches before Paul Jonson, Monken is on the verge of recruiting the speed and talent to restore our program. We are almost their and the key to this year’s success will be the new QB.

TheRevSFA
July 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I liked my tournament better... :(

I did too..I might have won it

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Are you talking southern teams in general or southern as in Ga.Southern? If you want to know the speed GSU used to possess watch the first video in the first post. In 1999 we averaged 430 ground yards per game, 120 passing and 50 points per game over the 15 game season. We did it through speed and execution. The 2000 team had roughly the same states. After the destruction of the team by the 2 Head Coaches before Paul Jonson, Monken is on the verge of recruiting the speed and talent to restore our program. We are almost their and the key to this year’s success will be the new QB.

It may come as a surprise with me being from North Dakota and all, but I do own a television set and a computer. I am basing my opinion on many, many years of watching college football and seeing that southern teams don't look any faster to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Whoo! Citdog's racial detector should be going off soon. Can't wait to hear what he has to say!

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/03/racialtranscend.gif

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
It may come as a surprise with me being from North Dakota and all, but I do own a television set and a computer. I am basing my opinion on many, many years of watching college football and seeing that southern teams don't look any faster to me.

Over all you may be right, But the Ga.Southern teams that played for 8 NCs were particularly quick and fast. It would be a great undertaking to look up the 40 yard dash times for each team or just the top 20 FCS teams so you'll just have to use your TV and objective view to base your opinion on.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Whoo! Citdog's racial detector should be going off soon. Can't wait to hear what he has to say!

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/03/racialtranscend.gif

E-Gads lets not wish that upon this thread!

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
And yet NDSU beat the piss out of 2 Southern teams and looked like the faster team to me in both games, weird.

I admit Slate.com is most likely not the best source.

If you want to continue to believe this myth to make you feel better fine, but don't act like it's actually true.

I'm wasn't saying NDSU was slow last year, just that all-in-all, southern teams have more black people and the speed of the game is typically faster. Not saying it's a causal relationship or anything....

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Over all you may be right, But the Ga.Southern teams that played for 8 NCs were particularly quick and fast. It would be a great undertaking to look up the 40 yard dash times for each team or just the top 20 FCS teams so you'll just have to use your TV and objective view to base your opinion on.

I have no doubt that those GSU teams were very fast. What's interesting about football is a team that is executing well looks like they are much faster than their opponent because they are playing at full speed. I will take a slower guy running at full speed because he knows his assignment over a fast guy who is playing tentatively every time.

Do you really believe that southern teams as a rule are faster than northern teams? Honest question: In your head where is the dividing line between north and south?

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'm wasn't saying NDSU was slow last year, just that all-in-all, southern teams have more black people and the speed of the game is typically faster. Not saying it's a causal relationship or anything....

But they were a northern team playing a southern team?

I am being serious, what is this opinion based on other than you being from the south or at least a fan of a southern team?

I agree, that black athletes as a general rule are faster. But it doesn't apply in every case. So to say that because a team has more black people they must be faster isn't necessarily true.

I am white and was faster than many of the black players on my team at the same position in college. The fastest player in the 40 on NDSU's roster when I played was white.

It just seems like such a weird myth to perpetuate when there isn't a shred of objective evidence that it is true. I am so fascinated by this for some reason.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I have no doubt that those GSU teams were very fast. What's interesting about football is a team that is executing well looks like they are much faster than their opponent because they are playing at full speed. I will take a slower guy running at full speed because he knows his assignment over a fast guy who is playing tentatively every time.

Do you really believe that southern teams as a rule are faster than northern teams? Honest question: In your head where is the dividing line between north and south?

Good underlined observation but I must have all 3, speed, quickness & execution to be satisfied. I will say that we have had some fullbacks in the past that were slower than average but our blocking was so good that their toughness and balance, not speed made them successful. As far as North vs. South vs. West having the faster players I have no idea. I would suspect that the top recruiting teams get the athletes that they need to execute their offensive schemes successfully.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
But they were a northern team playing a southern team?

I am being serious, what is this opinion based on other than you being from the south or at least a fan of a southern team?

I agree, that black athletes as a general rule are faster. But it doesn't apply in every case. So to say that because a team has more black people they must be faster isn't necessarily true.

I am white and was faster than many of the black players on my team at the same position in college. The fastest player in the 40 on NDSU's roster when I played was white.

It just seems like such a weird myth to perpetuate when there isn't a shred of objective evidence that it is true. I am so fascinated by this for some reason.

I never argued that every southern team was faster than every northern team, necessarily. I'd just be really surprised if every starter below the MD line on average didn't have a better 40 time than the northern teams.

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I never argued that every southern team was faster than every northern team, necessarily. I'd just be really surprised if every starter below the MD line on average didn't have a better 40 time than the northern teams.

Interesting, it is just nearly impossible to prove one way or another from my perspective.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting, it is just nearly impossible to prove one way or another from my perspective.

Yeah it is. Agree to disagree I suppose.

clenz
July 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Last season UNI had 3 players on the team that were at the national track meet in sprint races...they also dominated the MBC sprig.t races as well. Typically had 3 of the top 4 finishers in meets

They all also freely admitted they weren't the fastest on the team as well

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah it is. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Works for me.

JSUBison
July 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Man how did I miss this thread. I'd rep each one of you MOFO's who have posted in this thread but Its late and I'm to damned lazy but great reading and some funny shat and good analysis. xthumbsupx

Whoa, *** n' titties, and guns in the sig, with CAPS LOCK use in the post. I think Lakes has hijacked Backer's account. xlolx

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Does the official Bison homepage give the 40 times of the payers?

Bison06
July 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Does the official Bison homepage give the 40 times of the payers?

I doubt it, I have always wanted that information as well and have never been able to find it anywhere.

Houndawg
July 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Geez. Dale Lennon must have crashed into a truck hauling mirrors and black cats then. That's a lot of bad luck.

Not really. Just a young QB getting his feet wet in the toughest conference in the division.xnodx

Houndawg
July 11th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Last season UNI had 3 players on the team that were at the national track meet in sprint races...they also dominated the MBC sprig.t races as well. Typically had 3 of the top 4 finishers in meets

They all also freely admitted they weren't the fastest on the team as well

You'd think all that speed would show better in the playoffs./..

BisonFan02
July 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Hey Apphole, looks like I found your quote.

Apphole: "The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade'n the big… the owner… the slave owner would, would, would, would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have ah, ah big, ah big, ah big black kid see…"

I'm going to start calling you Jimmy the Greek instead.

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Whoa, *** n' titties, and guns in the sig, with CAPS LOCK use in the post. I think Lakes has hijacked Backer's account. xlolx

Now thats funny. Now to come up with something witty or not so witty that lakes would have said. IT"S RAINING BITCHES

clenz
July 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
You'd think all that speed would show better in the playoffs./..

Just proof speed isn't the end all

DJKyR0
July 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Just proof speed isn't the end all

James Madison, Georgia Southern, and Sam Houston State all came into their respective matchups with NDSU saying the Bison couldn't handle "all their speed." Can't believe this still needs to be brought up. Not the end all indeed.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
James Madison, Georgia Southern, and Sam Houston State all came into their respective matchups with NDSU saying the Bison couldn't handle "all their speed." Can't believe this still needs to be brought up. Not the end all indeed.

Exactly. I am curious what reasoning fans from these schools use for NDSU winning the games against them. Was NDSU just that much better that they were able to overcome the difference in speed or was NDSU much faster than they expected or maybe even the faster team on the field?

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
If speed was all that mattered, Appalachian would not have lost 4 games and been bounced in the first round. Speed can be the difference between a good player and a great player but I'll take good coaching, discipline and football smarts over speed alone every time.

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Exactly. I am curious what reasoning fans from these schools use for NDSU winning the games against them. Was NDSU just that much better that they were able to overcome the difference in speed or was NDSU much faster than they expected or maybe even the faster team on the field?

I think there were several contributing factors, but it ultimately boils down to NDSU being better than we were. I also think that it would have been much closer if we had played outdoors on natural turf, but that NDSU would still have gotten the win. This is just speculation on my part, obviously, but I have to admit that in my opinion being in your dome had much more of an adverse impact on us than I expected it to going in.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I think there were several contributing factors, but it ultimately boils down to NDSU being better than we were. I also think that it would have been much closer if we had played outdoors on natural turf, but that NDSU would still have gotten the win. This is just speculation on my part, obviously, but I have to admit that in my opinion being in your dome had much more of an adverse impact on us than I expected it to going in.

What effect would playing indoors have vs. playing outdoors?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 12th, 2012, 09:54 AM

NC game was outdoors on turf with a speedy option team.

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM
NC game was outdoors on turf with a speedy option team.

Not OUR speedy option team, but even at that, the championship game was closer than ours, which is all that I said I would have expected, not a win. I also think the noise level had much more affect than I expected, as you guys said it would. I think it made our guys hesitate, rather than firing off as they normally would. Also, I'm really glad to read that the dome is getting a new surface; I sat behind Jaybo Shaw's dad and before the game he said that Jaybo absolutely hated the old one. I know, your guys were playing on the same surface, but at least they were used to it.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Not OUR speedy option team, but even at that, the championship game was closer than ours, which is all that I said I would have expected, not a win. I also think the noise level had much more affect than I expected, as you guys said it would. I think it made our guys hesitate, rather than firing off as they normally would. Also, I'm really glad to read that the dome is getting a new surface; I sat behind Jaybo Shaw's dad and before the game he said that Jaybo absolutely hated the old one. I know, your guys were playing on the same surface, but at least they were used to it.

Back to my original question then, was NDSU just that much better that they could overcome our inferior speed in your mind or were we just faster than you thought a team from the north could be?

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Back to my original question then, was NDSU just that much better that they could overcome our inferior speed in your mind or were we just faster than you thought a team from the north could be?

Not sure when I ever said you had inferior speed, but I did already say that y'all were a better team. I didn't respond in order to get into an argument, just to express my opinion on the question asked.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Not sure when I ever said you had inferior speed, but I did already say that y'all were a better team. I didn't respond in order to get into an argument, just to express my opinion on the question asked.

I understand you haven't been part of the conversation that has been going on in the rest of this thread, but that has been the theme of the conversation. Southern teams supposedly are much faster and I have been asking for some objective measure that shows this is the case.

Also, leading up to the game all NDSU fans heard about was how fast these southern teams were and we would never be able to keep up.

Sometimes on message boards you are having a conversation with a person from a fanbase and you assume all the fans of that team share that opinion. I apologize for lumping you in with the others.

clenz
July 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I understand you haven't been part of the conversation that has been going on in the rest of this thread, but that has been the theme of the conversation. Southern teams supposedly are much faster and I have been asking for some objective measure that shows this is the case.

Also, leading up to the game all NDSU fans heard about was how fast these southern teams were and we would never be able to keep up.

Sometimes on message boards you are having a conversation with a person from a fanbase and you assume all the fans of that team share that opinion. I apologize for lumping you in with the others.

It's a lot like teams from the South saying us boys from up north can't handle the heat of playing down south - yet dismiss what it would be like playing outside in Iowa, North Dakota, Montana, Wisconsin, etc... in November and December as no big deal. Yet it's been upper 90's and triple digits pretty much all summer up north...when was the last time it got to 10 degrees with 30 MPH winds and a couple feet of snow/ice on the ground down south?

As for the "fat white boys comments"....UNI's starting roster was

QB: black
both RB: black
top 3 wr: black
TE: black
5 OLD: white

DL: 3 of 4 black/mix
LB: all were black/mix
DB: 3 of 4 black

Yep....all fat, slow, white corn fed guys.

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
.........I apologize for lumping you in with the others.

Thanks. Perhaps others will respond with something that better addresses your question.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Corn fed white guys. Like him?

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2011/12/17/x00079_93.jpg

yeah, that's a cast on his hand.

Or this guy?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/087JdQR0aufqb/439x.jpg

He had the flu that day too.

344Johnson
July 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
It's a lot like teams from the South saying us boys from up north can't handle the heat of playing down south - yet dismiss what it would be like playing outside in Iowa, North Dakota, Montana, Wisconsin, etc... in November and December as no big deal. Yet it's been upper 90's and triple digits pretty much all summer up north...when was the last time it got to 10 degrees with 30 MPH winds and a couple feet of snow/ice on the ground down south?.

LOL @ southern fans who say because they played in the snow once that they can handle the snow of the North just fine. Big difference between the snow they get on a nice day. and the snow our guys, and the Montana's deal with. And before some southerner says "your team play in a dome," our guys practice outside.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
LOL @ southern fans who say because they played in the snow once that they can handle the snow of the North just fine. Big difference between the snow they get on a nice day. and the snow our guys, and the Montana's deal with. And before some southerner says "your team play in a dome," our guys practice outside.

I dont know what youre talking about, Southern snow is wet and miserable. You've heard of "dry heat," well "wet cold" isnt exactly a joy. Being wet in 17 degrees with a 30 mph wind is common in Boone, and its comparable to usual -20s in Alaska. I can still remember my beard freezing in a 5 minute walk to class in Boone.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Even in Central Ohio, the world shuts down with 2 inches of snow. They call 10 degrees "bone chilling". It's pretty funny.

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Even in Central Ohio, the world shuts down with 2 inches of snow. They call 10 degrees "bone chilling". It's pretty funny.

How hot does it get up in Cana... I mean North Dakota? :) Serious question though. I'm not sure...

NoDak 4 Ever
July 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
How hot does it get up in Cana... I mean North Dakota? :) Serious question though. I'm not sure...

It is just as ugly in the summer as it is in the winter. 90's with high humidity. It's just gross. Still don't know why anybody settled there.

344Johnson
July 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I dont know what youre talking about, Southern snow is wet and miserable. You've heard of "dry heat," well "wet cold" isnt exactly a joy. Being wet in 17 degrees with a 30 mph wind is common in Boone, and its comparable to usual -20s in Alaska. I can still remember my beard freezing in a 5 minute walk to class in Boone.

17 degrees eh? I see you are talking about our November-December type weather?

July and August are hot. 90's. Not as consistently humid as my experiences in the south. drink water.

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
It is just as ugly in the summer as it is in the winter. 90's with high humidity. It's just gross. Still don't know why anybody settled there.

The winters. That's why.

2 weekends ago, it was 117 down here. I guess for a weekend, Statesboro was HOT HOT HOT.

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Got on an elevator with a guy yesterday who was pretty well drenched with sweat. It was actually a relatively mild day, especially compared to the last few weeks, but he said something to the effect of "we northerners have trouble handling ths heat". Now, before y'all jump on me let me say that I see lots of tourists that appear to be handling it just as well as us locals; I think it has more to do with the individuals makeup than where they're from.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM

It is truly sad that I am going to come across as proud of this, but you really don't want to try and match wits with people from Fargo when talking about bad weather.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/01/fargo-wins-title-as-americas-toughest-weather-city/

clenz
July 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Image of the thermometer at a school in Iowa a couple days ago

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552596_10151090523079808_720970854_n.jpg
The winters. That's why.

2 weekends ago, it was 117 down here. I guess for a weekend, Statesboro was HOT HOT HOT.

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'll honestly take 110 degree weather with relatively low humidity over 95 degree weather with high humidity. The humidity is what does you in.

I guess Iowa can be HOT HOT HOT too!

clenz
July 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I'll honestly take 110 degree weather with relatively low humidity over 95 degree weather with high humidity. The humidity is what does you in.

Damn straight......Sadly, it doesn't take much humidity when it's 95+ for it to heat up really damn fast.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 11:17 AM
It is truly sad that I am going to come across as proud of this, but you really don't want to try and match wits with people from Fargo when talking about bad weather.

Nobody is arguing that the weather in Fargo doesnt suck, but acting like playing in 17 degree wet weather in Boone NC when the wind chill is 0, is dumb, its not fun. And having to sit in it for 5 hours isnt pleasant either, but I wouldnt expect fans of a team playing in a DOME to be bitching about their weather.

At least Montana fans have the decency to tough it out.

clenz
July 12th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Nobody is arguing that the weather in Fargo doesnt suck, but acting like playing in 17 degree wet weather in Boone NC when the wind chill is 0, is dumb, its not fun. And having to sit in it for 5 hours isnt pleasant either, but I wouldnt expect fans of a team playing in a DOME to be bitching about their weather.
No doubt that 17 with a WC of 0 sucks....but that's a good day during the winter up north. There are days in CF where the high is 0 and the WC is -20 in December....Fargo is worse yet.

The fact Montana does it is cool....I'd support an outdoor stadium for UNI. However, there is are multiple reasons there isn't.

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552596_10151090523079808_720970854_n.jpg

This doesn't mean much at all.

It's over 30 degrees higher than your average July high in Cedar Falls. xrolleyesx

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Im quite familiar with northern weather, upstate New York, been to Alaska. Hell, I once froze my *** off in Amarillo.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM

It's a sad reality in this part of the country, but there would be nobody at the games if we were unlucky enought to hit one of those crazy cold days that can come up in December in our part of the country.

17 degrees and wet does suck, but it isn't lose your toes or die if you are out in it for a 5 hour game type of cold.

Ideally, we would be able to afford a retractable roof, because there are some beautiful days in Sep, Oct, Nov, and sometimes even December up there. But it is cost prohibitive and a dome is really the only way to go.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 12th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Believe me, I would love to see a southern team come up to Fargo in December and play. The actual air temp is zero and the WC is 20-40 below. There are two things about Fargo, it is always super cold in the winter and it is always super windy all year long. There was a great game between NDSU and Augustana where the snow was blowing so hard you couldn't see a thing. I'd LOVE to see you play in that.

clenz
July 12th, 2012, 11:29 AM
This doesn't mean much at all.

It's over 30 degrees higher than your average July high in Cedar Falls. xrolleyesxSince June 27th Cedar Falls has seen days of 83, 91, 95 97 99 100 99 102 92 86 91 86 88 93 all before heat index is factored in.....

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Believe me, I would love to see a southern team come up to Fargo in December and play. The actual air temp is zero and the WC is 20-40 below. There are two things about Fargo, it is always super cold in the winter and it is always super windy all year long. There was a great game between NDSU and Augustana where the snow was blowing so hard you couldn't see a thing. I'd LOVE to see you play in that.

So would I, that would be fun to watch! It was a blizzard in the '09 Montana game and that was great entertainment.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM

See App State Western Illinois, 2010, or App State Montana, the second half, 2009. App/western illinois, App had 3 road plows actually clear the field at half time, and 5-6 guys with leaf blowers attempting to clear the lines after each play.

344Johnson
July 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Got on an elevator with a guy yesterday who was pretty well drenched with sweat. It was actually a relatively mild day, especially compared to the last few weeks, but he said something to the effect of "we northerners have trouble handling ths heat". Now, before y'all jump on me let me say that I see lots of tourists that appear to be handling it just as well as us locals; I think it has more to do with the individuals makeup than where they're from.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/01/fargo-wins-title-as-americas-toughest-weather-city/

I totally forgot about that. We are the champs. Proof that we aren't sally's for playing football indoors.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
See App State Western Illinois, 2010, or App State Montana, the second half, 2009. App/western illinois, App had 3 road plows actually clear the field at half time, and 5-6 guys with leaf blowers attempting to clear the lines after each play.

I hate to be a stickler here, but Missoula and Macomb are not Fargo.

I am not saying you haven't played in any sort of bad weather, I am only trying to explain why NDSU decided playing in a dome was necessary if we ever wanted to have home playoff games in December.

The only example that works is the Green Bay Packers. They have such a loyal(see annoying) fan base that they would sit out in anything to watch the team. NDSU isn't quite there yet, but we are working on the annoying part.xnodx

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM

I am not saying you haven't played in any sort of bad weather, I am only trying to explain why NDSU decided playing in a dome was necessary if we ever wanted to have home playoff games in December.

The only example that works is the Green Bay Packers. They have such a loyal(see annoying) fan base that they would sit out in anything to watch the team. NDSU isn't quite there yet, but we are working on the annoying part.xnodx

Well play where you want, but its a bit disingenuous to criticise teams that play in all inclement weather when your team and fans spend their saturdays in a covered and heated dome. By the way, I'd love to see App play in that dome, and NDSU roll into Boone.

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Just my opinion but if the fans will show up and tailgate in December now, they would go to the games even if they are outdoors. I do see the reason for playing in the dome but I think moving back to an outdoor stadium would be great. The home-field advantage you'd get by hosting teams not used to that weather may be even more advantageous than the volume of the dome.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Well play where you want, but its a bit disingenuous to criticise teams that play in all inclement weather when your team and fans spend their saturdays in a covered and heated dome. By the way, I'd love to see App play in that dome, and NDSU roll into Boone.

What are you looking for here an award for playing outdoors. It's different in this part of the country I think we've established that.

Just like my highschool coach used to say when players weren't wearing long sleeve shirts out to practice in late October. "It doesn't make you tough to freeze your *** off, it's just make you an idiot."

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Since June 27th Cedar Falls has seen days of 83, 91, 95 97 99 100 99 102 92 86 91 86 88 93 all before heat index is factored in.....

It's an extraordinary heat wave. But, it's not typical of Cedar Falls weather. 118 certainly isn't. xlolx

Your average July high is 85.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/USIA0137

Eaglesrus
July 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM

I'll admit that I was very happy that it was much better weather than normal when we were there in December, at least that's what everyone that we talked to told us.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
"It doesn't make you tough to freeze your *** off, it's just make you an idiot."

What does that make the population of North Dakota then? That directly refutes the "toughest city" article. I guess everyone below the Mason Dixon is a genius then.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Just my opinion but if the fans will show up and tailgate in December now, they would go to the games even if they are outdoors. I do see the reason for playing in the dome but I think moving back to an outdoor stadium would be great. The home-field advantage you'd get by hosting teams not used to that weather may be even more advantageous than the volume of the dome.

There are alot of people who feel the same way you do. NDSU played outdoors all the way through the '92 season with great success. Most older NDSU fans agree that a lot of those playoff games in December were not attended very well due to poor weather. They moved inside to alleviate this problem and NDSU went into a draught for the next 10 years and never played a playoff game in the fargodome up until two years ago.

Bison06
July 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
What does that make the population of North Dakota then? That directly refutes the "toughest city" article. I guess everyone below the Mason Dixon is a genius then.

It doesn't directly refute anything. We stay indoors when it's that cold out because we feel like keeping all of our appendages.

Yeah people from the south are known to be geniuses.

bisonboone11
July 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Temperature comparison:

Boone, NC:
- Average high in July = 79F
- Average low in January = 21F
- Highest recorded temp = 93F
- Lowest recorded temp = -24F

Statesboro, GA:
- Average high in July = 93F
- Average low in January = 36F
- Highest recorded temp = 109F
- Lowest recorded temp = 1F

Fargo, ND:
- Average high in July = 82F
- Average low in January = 0F
- Highest recorded temp = 114F
- Lowest recorded temp = -48F

This information is according to weather.com. Fargo has the highest recorded temperature and the lowest recorded temperature of any of the compared cities, and Fargo won (lost?) the Weather Channel's "America's Toughest Weather City".

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Temperature comparison:

Boone, NC:

Statesboro, GA:

Fargo, ND:

This information is according to weather.com. Fargo has the highest recorded temperature and the lowest recorded temperature of any of the compared cities, and Fargo won (lost?) the Weather Channel's "America's Toughest Weather City".

Yet you play in a dome..pussies :D

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Temperature comparison:

Boone, NC:

Statesboro, GA:

Fargo, ND:

Boone has the lowest average July high, lowest all-time high and an average low of 21 in January, which is perfect in my book. This only further proves that Boone is a piece of heaven that fell from the sky and landed in the North Carolina mountains!

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Temperature comparison:

Boone, NC:

Statesboro, GA:

Fargo, ND:

Congrats, it got hot once. Our average is 93. Hell, it's 88 now but feels like 96 (it's suppose to rain soon). Factor in humidity, and there is no contest.

Are we really having a pissing contest over weather? Must be the off-season.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Congrats, it got hot once. Our average is 93. Hell, it's 88 now but feels like 96 (it's suppose to rain soon). Factor in humidity, and there is no contest.

Don't forget to factor in the gnats.

bisonboone11
July 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Average afternoon humidity in Statesboro in the hottest month (July) ~ 58% (estimated off of graph)
Average afternoon humidity in Fargo in the hottest month (July) ~ 59% (estimated off of graph)
According to city-data.com

Also, I didn't bring up weather, but I thought I would provide a few facts rather than just giving opinions.

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Also, I didn't bring up weather, but I thought I would provide a few facts rather than just giving opinions.

I brought up weather originally. Geezus... Take a drink and relax. Pretty sure the consensus was that Statesboro is hotter than Fargo, which is true. 1 day anomalies aren't a true representation of the everyday weather.

Our record low isn't even your average. That's ridiculous!

344Johnson
July 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I brought up weather originally. Geezus... Take a drink and relax. Pretty sure the consensus was that Statesboro is hotter than Fargo, which is true. 1 day anomalies aren't a true representation of the everyday weather.

Our record low isn't even your average. That's ridiculous!

I wonder how the folks in the arctic circle feel.

EKU-n-GSU
July 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Don't forget to factor in the gnats.

Yep...that's why our guys don't need protein powder...

344Johnson
July 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Yep...that's why our guys don't need protein powder...

Our guys don't need blood transfusions. Just swallow some mosquitos and your back to normal.

Houndawg
July 14th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Temperature comparison:

Boone, NC:

Statesboro, GA:

Fargo, ND:

Sounds like the weather channel hasn't visited Fairbanks. xcoffeex

NoDak 4 Ever
July 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I had to bump this to share that my wife is actually applying for a job at App State. The weather sold her. Now I lived for a year in Brookings, SD which is about the size of Boone but I had Sioux Falls less than an hour away. I'm not sure I could handle that small and remote a location but it's on the list!

TheRevSFA
July 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds like the weather channel hasn't visited Fairbanks. xcoffeex

Nor did they visit Barrow