PDA

View Full Version : For what special football trophy does your school compete?

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
At 7 feet, 6-inches tall and 320 pounds, Chief Caddo is the largest trophy in college football. The hand-carved wooden statue is awarded to the winner of the annual game between Northwestern State University (LA) and Stephen F. Austin University (TX). The tradition originated in 1960 when the loser (SFA) sent a 2,000 lb. Black Gum log to NSU. A local crafstman spent 230 hours carving The Chief. Since the two schools have been playing each other, Northwestern State holds a 41-18-3 record against SFA.

Below: ESPNU commentators with CHIEF CADDO.

bulldog10jw
June 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Besides the Ivy Championship, I believe there is a separate "Big Three" trophy for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton games against each other. No one won it last year since each team was 1-1 in the Y-H-P games.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Besides the Ivy Championship, I believe there is a separate "Big Three" trophy for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton games against each other. No one won it last year since each team was 1-1 in the Y-H-P games.

Is there an actual trophy or is it an honorary title?

Freightliner
June 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Iv'e seen the Chief Caddo Trophy as well (@SFA and at Northwestern St) and its HUGE!!

As for Texas State, we play Nicholls State in "The Battle for The Paddle". Whichever team wins gets a Canoe Paddle with each team's colors on one side.

Also, and I dont know If this is true or not (Terror, can ya help me out on this??) but the Texas State/Sam Houston State is one of the oldest rivalry games in College Football but no award/keepsake is given out for the winner (Unless its for the conference championship) :)

If I'm wrong...my apologies for bad info!:asswhip:

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Iv'e seen the Chief Caddo Trophy as well (@SFA and at Northwestern St) and its HUGE!!

As for Texas State, we play Nicholls State in "The Battle for The Paddle". Whichever team wins gets a Canoe Paddle with each team's colors on one side.

Also, and I dont know If this is true or not (Terror, can ya help me out on this??) but the Texas State/Sam Houston State is one of the oldest rivalry games in College Football but no award/keepsake is given out for the winner (Unless its for the conference championship) :)

Do you know the significance of the canoe paddle?

bulldog10jw
June 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Is there an actual trophy or is it an honorary title?

There is an actual trophy. I remember that the cover of one of Yale's game programs in the '70's had a picture on the cover of the Captain and the trophys Yale had won the previous year. One was the BIG THREE trophy.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
There is an actual trophy. I remember that the cover of one of Yale's game programs in the '70's had a picture on the cover of the Captain and the trophys Yale had won the previous year. One was the BIG THREE trophy.

Thanks! Maybe I can google a picture somewhere!

Wmbgskip
June 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I-64 trophy, named after the stretch of asphalt between Williamsburg and Richmond. Goes to the winner of the "Oldest Rivalry in the South", which W&M and Richmond have been playing since 1898 (115 Matches so far).

W&M Leads, 59-51-5.

--Skip

Pard4Life
June 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Lafayette-Lehigh does not have a trophy... except the one that goes to the MVP of the game.

We should have a trophy.. someting like the steel mill trophy or whatever.

SunCoastBlueHen
June 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
The Lambert Cup is awarded to the top football team in the east at the I-A, I-AA, Div II, and Div III levels. It is decided at the end of each season by a vote of sportwriters, broadcasters and ECAC members. Delaware has won a total of 18 Lambert Cups - the most of any division I-AA team. New Hampshire won last year's cup.

GeauxColonels
June 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Nicholls and Texas State have the "Battle for the Paddle" with the winner keeping the paddle painted with the colors of both schools. I think it was started after the Nicholls/SWT game was postponed in 1998 until the end of the season (actually the same day as the opening round of the I-AA playoffs) due to heavy rains in San Marcos that year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've always been told.

Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana play for the River Bell in the River Bell Classic (or "Battle for the Bell").

The inaugural River Bell Classic game, which took place on Nov. 15, 1975 in the New Orleans Superdome, was started as a battle of football rivals from opposite sides of the Mississippi River. Nicholls defeated Southeastern, 14-6, that day, before dropping five straight to the Lions from 1976-1980. Nicholls closed out the last five years of the rivalry with wins as the Colonels were victorious from 1981-1985. The Colonels and Lions met three times before the “Battle for the Bell” began, from 1972-1974, with Southeastern winning two of the three.

Nicholls State holds a slight edge over Southeastern since the inagural River Bell Classic, with 7 wins and 5 losses (including the win in 2005). Nicholls held the trophy for 20 years from 1985-2005 until the renewal of the rivalry.

Personally, I hope this really takes off again. I mean, we hate McNeese and Northwestern State, but neither of them consider us their biggest rival and I know the same holds true for Texas St. It just makes send for Nicholls and SLU to try to play up this rivalry as much as possible. Their proximity is pretty close and they regularly compete for students out of the same areas (many River Parishes and New Orleans metro area students attend both schools).

GeauxColonels
June 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hey Demon Fan,
I know that the Nicholls St./Northestern St. game has been dubbed "The Battle of the NSUs," but didn't there used to be a trophy for that game as well?

JoshUCA
June 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-2005govtrophy~1.jpg
UCA and Arkansas Tech used to play (no longer since we moved up and they didn't) the Governor's Football Classic where the winner of the game would get the Governor's Trophy. It was a great rivalry that I will miss deeply, but UCA went out on top with the overall record in the 84 game series being 41-40-3 in favor of UCA!

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hey Demon Fan,
I know that the Nicholls St./Northestern St. game has been dubbed "The Battle of the NSUs," but didn't there used to be a trophy for that game as well?

I remember a carved "NSU" that was exchanged for a couple of years. I don't know if it still is. Also the winner is supposed to be given sole use of the NSU abbreviation and the loser is supposed to be referred to as nsu.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
UCA and Arkansas Tech used to play (no longer since we moved up and they didn't) the Governor's Football Classic where the winner of the game would get the Governor's Trophy. It was a great rivalry that I will miss deeply, but UCA went out on top with the overall record in the 84 game series being 41-40-3 in favor of UCA!

Hey JoshUCA,

Since Arkansas and Louisiana are neighbors, why don't you come up with a trophy for UCA and Northwestern State to exchange in years to come? The Razorbacks and LSU have a trophy "The Boot". We can't be outdone!

JoltinJoe
June 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
The Lambert Cup is awarded to the top football team in the east at the I-A, I-AA, Div II, and Div III levels. It is decided at the end of each season by a vote of sportwriters, broadcasters and ECAC members. Delaware has won a total of 18 Lambert Cups - the most of any division I-AA team. New Hampshire won last year's cup.

Just to clarify, the Lambert awards are given each year to the best team in the East at each level of play.

The "Lambert Cup" is the name of the award given tothe East's Top I-AA team. As you state, Delaware has dominated the Cup, winning it 18 times. The "Lambert Cup" is also awarded at the Division II and III levels.

However, the "Lambert Trophy" is what the award is called for the I-A teams. Penn State has won the Lambert Trophy 25 times.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Just to clarify, the Lambert awards are given each year to the best team in the East at each level of play.

The "Lambert Cup" is the name of the award given tothe East's Top I-AA team. As you state, Delaware has dominated the Cup, winning it 18 times. The "Lambert Cup" is also awarded at the Division II and III levels.

However, the "Lambert Trophy" is what the award is called for the I-A teams. Penn State has won the Lambert Trophy 25 times.

A nice bit of "trophy trivia". Thanks.

Green Cookie Monster
June 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Doesn't Chief Caddo violate the NCAA 'no Native American' law? ie. North Dakota Sioux.

I am sure if the NCAA gets word of this you will be playing for a 2,000 lb. piece of firewood.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Doesn't Chief Caddo violate the NCAA 'no Native American' law? ie. North Dakota Sioux.

I am sure if the NCAA gets word of this you will be playing for a 2,000 lb. piece of firewood.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That's why I'm bringing it to the surface. Our friends at W&M and North Dakota shouldn't have all the fun! BRING IT ON!

DUPFLFan
June 27th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The PFL championship

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
The PFL championship

Thanks. Yes, all of us in conferences compete for trophies of that conference or league. I had in mind special "big game" trophies like those that have been mentioned.

SunCoastBlueHen
June 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Joe.

JoshUCA
June 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hey JoshUCA,

Since Arkansas and Louisiana are neighbors, why don't you come up with a trophy for UCA and Northwestern State to exchange in years to come? The Razorbacks and LSU have a trophy "The Boot". We can't be outdone!

We should do that!!

ButlerGSU
June 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I-AA NC.

Tod
June 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
This one:

http://www.i-aa.org/images/articles/32664_I-AATrophy100w2.jpg

Golden Eagle
June 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Tennessee Tech and Middle Tennessee State played for a totem pole from 1960 until Murfreesboro Jr. College moved up to I-A in 2000. We play again this year, so hopefully we can regain the prize.

The two schools have different names for the trophy. We rightfully call it "Shinny Ninny", as that is its name. They, on the other hand, see fit to call it "Harvey". Middle barely leads the all time series, 35-32-7.

chrisattsu
June 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Tarleton-
http://www.moodyscollectibles.com/pixfiles/13691.jpg
We used to play for a Silver Bugle against NTAC (now Texas-Arlington), but they lost the trophy during the final years of the rivalry. Tarleton uses the missing bugle as part of a traditional scavenger hunter during homecoming these days.
Currently, we do not play for special trophies that I can think of.

Texas State-
Battle for the Paddle. (mentioned previously). I can't find a picture of that.

89rabbit
June 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Starting in '08 this one:

As of right now, this one:

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/200410066-marker.jpg
The Dakota Marker

http://www.argusleader.com/gallery/2004/sdsu_ndsu/images/5.jpg

griz37
June 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Montana & Idaho used to play for the Brown Stein but now that the Vandals are too scared to play us it remains in Missoula where it belongs.

Lionsrking
June 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Personally, I hope this really takes off again. I mean, we hate McNeese and Northwestern State, but neither of them consider us their biggest rival and I know the same holds true for Texas St. It just makes send for Nicholls and SLU to try to play up this rivalry as much as possible. Their proximity is pretty close and they regularly compete for students out of the same areas (many River Parishes and New Orleans metro area students attend both schools).

If last year's game is any indication, I don't think there's any doubt that the rivalry is alive and well. Last year was a classic and the crowd was fantastic (9,000+ in a 7,400 seat stadium) considering we had already been eliminated from playoff contention. I just wish the 2006 game fell later in the schedule.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Tarleton-
We used to play for a Silver Bugle against NTAC (now Texas-Arlington), but they lost the trophy during the final years of the rivalry. Tarleton uses the missing bugle as part of a traditional scavenger hunter during homecoming these days.

Texas State-

That's a neat story. Too bad that the trumpet was lost....or was it? It is probably in an attic or antique shoppe in Arlington. Perhaps the scavenger hunt will yet, turn it up.

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM
If last year's game is any indication, I don't think there's any doubt that the rivalry is alive and well. Last year was a classic and the crowd was fantastic (9,000+ in a 7,400 seat stadium) considering we had already been eliminated from playoff contention. I just wish the 2006 game fell later in the schedule.

It does indeed sound like a great rivalry. I presume the winning team rings the river bell at midfield?

EKU05
June 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Before they went non-scholarship EKU and Morehead State used to play the last week of the regular season for "The Old Hawg Rifle." The winner basically being the football king of the mountain region in Kentucky (even though EKU itself is not really in the mountains it certain was designed to serve that area). Also, once upon a time the President of the winning school would cancel classes on the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week in celebration of a victory in the rivalry.

EKU and WKU play for nothing but hate and pride in the "Battle of the Bluegrass."

I also know off hand that when WKU was in the OVC they used to play Murray State for some kind of red belt.

Maroons
June 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Before they went non-scholarship EKU and Morehead State used to play the last week of the regular season for "The Old Hawg Rifle."

In case anyone is wondering... the prize was a literal rifle. I have seen pictures in the school paper of EKU ROTC cadets standing guard over the trophy during an Eastern/Morehead game. I believe it is in storage in the EKU archives until such as day as Morehead decides to rejoin the world of scholly football.

GaSouthern
June 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Only the National Championship

Until we can hold the (not real) Georgia Championship Trophy after beating GaTech and UGAy

OrneryAggie
June 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM
UCD and Suc St used to have a larger trophy than Chief Caddo for the annual Causeway Classic. The winner used to get an old victorian carriage. But UCD (a campus with over 5,000 acres) said they had no place to put it and gave up on it a couple years ago. Suc St gets to keep it win or lose now.
Brief history here:
http://www.csus.edu/pubaf/journal/fall2003/26causeway.htm

Now the only trophy UCD plays for is the 2 year old giant horseshoe trophy with Cal Poly. The state's 2 premier ag schools. You can see photos of it in some fellow aggie's signatures. (first post in this thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2633 )

carney2
June 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Lafayette-Lehigh does not have a trophy... except the one that goes to the MVP of the game.

We should have a trophy.. someting like the steel mill trophy or whatever.

We had this discussion on another thread and nothing really popped out and lit up our imaginations. I seem to remember that the top vote getter (if we had been voting) would have been some variation of The Olde Leather Helmet.

Personally, I wouldn't mind dragging Bucknell into this and making it some kind of a three way award. These schools are so close together in almost every way that a Siamese triplet or "joined at the hip" award might be appropriate. (Sorry, Gaters, but you spent so many years (decades!) trying to become the ninth Ivy that I cannot yet take you seriously.)

EKU05
June 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
In case anyone is wondering... the prize was a literal rifle. I have seen pictures in the school paper of EKU ROTC cadets standing guard over the trophy during an Eastern/Morehead game. I believe it is in storage in the EKU archives until such as day as Morehead decides to rejoin the world of scholly football.

Perhaps even sooner than that, Maroons. I've heard that if a 12th game is approved that Coach Hope has at least brought up the idea of playing Morehead (only in Richmond as long as they are non-scholarship). That would make a lot of sense. Among "easier" (and by that I mean not against elite 1AA teams) types of games no one would draw a crowd to Roy Kidd Stadium better than Morehead would. They would bring a fair number of fans on their own...they always do for basketball.

But you actually probably have more of an inside scoop than I do...have you heard anything about that possibility?

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
UCD and Suc St used to have a larger trophy than Chief Caddo for the annual Causeway Classic. The winner used to get an old victorian carriage. But UCD (a campus with over 5,000 acres) said they had no place to put it and gave up on it a couple years ago. Suc St gets to keep it win or lose now.
Brief history here:

Now the only trophy UCD plays for is the 2 year old giant horseshoe trophy with Cal Poly. The state's 2 premier ag schools. You can see photos of it in some fellow aggie's signatures. (first post in this thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2633 )

Thanks for the links. The victorian carriage was unique (and large). The horsehoe trophy is cool as well.

kats89
June 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM

It is the oldest Tx I-AA rivalry. From last year's 2005 press release....

OLDEST I-AA RIVALRY IN TEXAS
The series between the Bearkats and the Bobcats is the oldest
NCAA Division I-AA football series in Texas. The two schools
have battled under different names and in four leagues, but the
series has been interupted only by a World War during the past
81 years. The Bobcats have won 46 games, the Bearkats 33, and
there have been four ties.

Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin play for "The Battle of the Piney Woods".

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
It is the oldest Tx I-AA rivalry. From last year's 2005 press release....

Sam Houston and Stephen F Austin play for "The Battle of the Piney
Woods".

Is there an actual trophy associated with the Battle of the Piney Woods?

Brad82
June 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
two-governors cup and lambert cup.
Yes,we have won them a couple of times.

SU Jag
June 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Wow, why dont yall queeze them in you schedule? You guys could play them in the opener every year!:nod:

swaghook
June 27th, 2006, 05:53 PM
NDSU used to play UND for the Nickel trophy. I'm sure the rivalry will resume by at least 2009.

http://www.ndsubluekey.com/images/nickeltrophy2.jpg

parr90
June 27th, 2006, 05:59 PM
This one:

I thought since you were listing all those sayings at the bottom of your page you could add " I voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it"

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Wow, why dont yall queeze them in you schedule? You guys could play them in the opener every year!:nod:

Problem solved! UCA will be full Southland Conference members in a couple of years and we will become regular rivals!

foghorn
June 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Joe.

The Lambert Cup is only awarded to the top D-IAA team in the East. The top Div. II and II teams are given Lambert 'awards'. http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2004/lambert010704.html

http://www.ecac.org/uploadedFiles/Press_Releases/Lambert_Poll_and_Releases/2005%20Final%20Lambert%20Poll%20Release.pdf

Demon Fan
June 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
NDSU used to play UND for the Nickel trophy. I'm sure the rivalry will resume by at least 2009.

http://www.ndsubluekey.com/images/nickeltrophy2.jpg

Neat looking trophy; who presently holds it?

Tod
June 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I thought since you were listing all those sayings at the bottom of your page you could add " I voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it"

WTF??? xidiotx :nonono2: :mad:

JoshUCA
June 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Arkansas Tech doesn't want to play us anymore due to the big difference in the number of scholarships...

SU Jag
June 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Arkansas Tech doesn't want to play us anymore due to the big difference in the number of scholarships...

I see! :nod:

slycat
June 27th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Nicholls and Texas State have the "Battle for the Paddle" with the winner keeping the paddle painted with the colors of both schools. I think it was started after the Nicholls/SWT game was postponed in 1998 until the end of the season (actually the same day as the opening round of the I-AA playoffs) due to heavy rains in San Marcos that year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've always been told.

Nicholls State and Southeastern Louisiana play for the River Bell in the River Bell Classic (or "Battle for the Bell").

The inaugural River Bell Classic game, which took place on Nov. 15, 1975 in the New Orleans Superdome, was started as a battle of football rivals from opposite sides of the Mississippi River. Nicholls defeated Southeastern, 14-6, that day, before dropping five straight to the Lions from 1976-1980. Nicholls closed out the last five years of the rivalry with wins as the Colonels were victorious from 1981-1985. The Colonels and Lions met three times before the “Battle for the Bell” began, from 1972-1974, with Southeastern winning two of the three.

Nicholls State holds a slight edge over Southeastern since the inagural River Bell Classic, with 7 wins and 5 losses (including the win in 2005). Nicholls held the trophy for 20 years from 1985-2005 until the renewal of the rivalry.

yes the rains caused flooding in the hill country regoin and the game was postponed from october to late november.

slycat
June 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM

The weather forced the meeting between then-Southwest Texas State and Nicholls State to be postponed twice before eventually being cancelled. With conditions so nasty, legend says Nicholls State had to paddle its way back to Thibodaux, La., because the Texas Department of Public Safety had shut down Interstate 35 and Interstate 10.

Ever since that game, a painted wooden paddle is passed between the two schools, with the winner of the meeting getting control of the paddle for the following year.

Maroons
June 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Perhaps even sooner than that, Maroons. I've heard that if a 12th game is approved that Coach Hope has at least brought up the idea of playing Morehead (only in Richmond as long as they are non-scholarship). That would make a lot of sense. Among "easier" (and by that I mean not against elite 1AA teams) types of games no one would draw a crowd to Roy Kidd Stadium better than Morehead would. They would bring a fair number of fans on their own...they always do for basketball.

But you actually probably have more of an inside scoop than I do...have you heard anything about that possibility?

I haven't heard anything since the 12th game thing became a possiblity... but if I remember, I'll bring it up sometime this next season in a conversation with Coach Hope.

A few years ago I had heard that Eastern and Morehead had discussed it but that Eastern was unwilling to meet Morehead's demands. Morehead reportedly wanted a large monetary garauntee and a large chunk of free tickets. Eastern didn't feel like it was a financially reasonable offer and it was scuttled.

My hope is that if Chattanooga joins, the OVC puts the screws to Morehead about bringing back scholarship football. It may be unlikely, but I'm hoping...

Maroons
June 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
The weather forced the meeting between then-Southwest Texas State and Nicholls State to be postponed twice before eventually being cancelled. With conditions so nasty, legend says Nicholls State had to paddle its way back to Thibodaux, La., because the Texas Department of Public Safety had shut down Interstate 35 and Interstate 10.

Ever since that game, a painted wooden paddle is passed between the two schools, with the winner of the meeting getting control of the paddle for the following year.

That is a good story!

HiHiYikas
June 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
That'd be the old mountain jug. App vs. WCU. ASU leads the all-time series something like 52-18-2 or something like that, but the jug has only been part of the rivalry since 1976. WCU does a good job at taking it away from us just often enough to keep things interesting.

Since 1985, the jog has gone to WCU only twice (1998 and 2004). The games are usually better than the lop-sided win totals for ASU suggest.

It's a fun tradition...Sports Illustrated once called it "the best college football rivalry you've never heard of," and the 1979 game was the second college football game ever broadcast by a fledgling network called ESPN.

WCU's site has a nice write-up about the jug. Given that ASU has the thing 9 out of 10 years, you almost never see a photograph of the catamount side of it.

http://catamountsports.cstv.com/genrel/011305aah.html

elkmcc
June 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
This one:

Exactly my thoughts!

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Is there an actual trophy associated with the Battle of the Piney Woods?

No, but I've called on the SGA at SHSU to do it several times, try to make something that would exchange sides to the winner of the game...

swaghook
June 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Neat looking trophy; who presently holds it?

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=74352
Unfortunately UND by beating NDSU in OT the last year they played in DII.: smh :

But I can see NDSU making up for that when they resume the game.:nod:

paytonlives
June 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Grizlies vs kitties

Kiss My Apps
June 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
The "Old Mountain Jug"

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421546553/5.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Maine and New Hampshire play for the Brice-Cowell Musket. There is a decent photo of the musket on page five of the UNH Prospectus. Also, the MVP of the UMass-UNH game is awarded the Bill Knight Trophy.

UNH Football Prospectus (http://www.unhwildcats.com/pdf/football/prospectus.pdf)

It's within a PDF document and I wasn't able to save it to attach here. Here's a picture that isn't quite as good:

BigDukeDawg
June 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
i dont think my school has any special trophy to play for other than the NC obviously, it kinda seems like my school doesnt have many traditions at all with football.... that sucks

catbob
June 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Grizlies vs kitties

We've had that trophy more than you, and look what field it is on. ;)

blackfordpu
June 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Tarleton-

Texas State-

I attended Tarleton for my first two years of college. Great school and had a great time in the dorms!:nod:

The tradition they have there is second to none.

chrisattsu
June 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I attended Tarleton for my first two years of college. Great school and had a great time in the dorms!:nod:

The tradition they have there is second to none.

I enjoyed my Undergraduate Years there. You are exactly right when you say that tradition is second to none. Everything about that school has some kind of tradition attached to it. They have an indocrination process very similar to A&M. While we are part of the system, you will find few Purple Blooded Texans that identifiy themselves as Aggies. We may have been purchased by Texas A&M, but we're Tarleton.

blackfordpu
June 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I enjoyed my Undergraduate Years there. You are exactly right when you say that tradition is second to none. Everything about that school has some kind of tradition attached to it. They have an indocrination process very similar to A&M. While we are part of the system, you will find few Purple Blooded Texans that identifiy themselves as Aggies. We may have been purchased by Texas A&M, but we're Tarleton.

My god-father was a Purple Poo. :)

chrisattsu
June 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
My god-father was a Purple Poo. :)

http://www.tarleton.edu/students/st_clehman/images/poo.jpg

Poo huh... that's pretty cool. I had so many encounters with the Poo, at first I hated them, I felt like they represented the school in a negative light (plus I have a hatred for clowns like no other), but after a while I learned to enjoy having them around. And talk about having home-court advantage when 12 of these guys show up during basketball game and walk along the baseline. It throws every visiting team out of their rhythm.

Green Cookie Monster
June 28th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Brief history here:

It was replaced with the Causeway Cup, which Sac State won this year in overall competition with UC Doofis.

June 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM
That'd be the old mountain jug... Given that ASU has the thing 9 out of 10 years, you almost never see a photograph of the catamount side of it.You did last year in the I-AA.org Magazine 2005 Fall Preview:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Jug_2004/sullivan-lg.jpg

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I remember a carved "NSU" that was exchanged for a couple of years. I don't know if it still is. Also the winner is supposed to be given sole use of the NSU abbreviation and the loser is supposed to be referred to as nsu.
Really? Never knew about the "NSU" / "nsu" thing. :thumbsup: :D :hurray:

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I remember the first year after that, at Nicholls State. We heard about it so we brought a pirogue paddle to the game and a friend of mine bought a small paddle used for stirring boiling crawfish and we painted that with each schools colors on opposite sides and waived them around the entire game. Good Times.:thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah, 2005 was a GREAT game with a terrific atmosphere. I didn't even mind sitting in the end zone (we were actually pretty close to the field so we let the refs know when they missed calls :D )

Engineer91
June 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
We had this discussion on another thread and nothing really popped out and lit up our imaginations. I seem to remember that the top vote getter (if we had been voting) would have been some variation of The Olde Leather Helmet.

Personally, I wouldn't mind dragging Bucknell into this and making it some kind of a three way award. These schools are so close together in almost every way that a Siamese triplet or "joined at the hip" award might be appropriate. (Sorry, Gaters, but you spent so many years (decades!) trying to become the ninth Ivy that I cannot yet take you seriously.)

I think Lehigh-Lafayette-Rutgers used to play for the little brass cannon, but I can't find any references to it. I will have to look at some of my old programs.

The cannon was missing for many years - but something which looks very similar was "found" and is now used at most home games.

Pard4Life
June 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I think Lehigh-Lafayette-Rutgers used to play for the little brass cannon, but I can't find any references to it. I will have to look at some of my old programs.

The cannon was missing for many years - but something which looks very similar was "found" and is now used at most home games.

Oh, that little thing you fire every time you score? Unecesary and dumb... now Army unloads full-sized cannons!

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM

This is the best I could do. It's from the 2005 Nicholls State Football Media Guide.
You can add to that a 32-29 Nicholls State victory in 2005 bringing the record to 4-4 for both teams since the inception of the "Battle for the Paddle".

The 2005 game was a barnburner with Nicholls State leading then #5-ranked Texas State 14-7 at the half and 26-7 after 3 quarters of play. The Bobcats outscored the Colonels 22-3 in the 4th quarter to send the game into OT as Nicholls State kicker Alex Romero kicked a 23-yard field goal as time expired.

In OT, Texas State drove to the Nicholls State 10-yard line before Cory Vavala forced a fumble ending the Bobcat threat. The Colonels then moved to the Texas State 11-yard line and kicked a 27-yard field goal to seal the victory and take back possession of the paddle.

DuckDuckGriz
June 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Montana and Montana State now compete for "The Great Divide Trophy." It was added to the rivalry in (I think) 2002. It is to be used for the next 100 years of Griz-Cat games. Close to 3 feet high, about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide, the bronze depicts a grizzly bear and a bobcat grasping the side of the craggy mountain in an attempt to reach the football that sits on top. The mountain is to represent the Continental Divide, which is hte most notable physical separation between Missoula and Bozeman.

I'm told that before this they competed for something called the Grizzly-Bobcat painting but I don't know what that's about.

http://www.missoulian.com/content/articles/2001/11/17/export37647.jpg

Montana and Idaho compete for the Little Brown Stein. I'm not sure how long this has been in the rivalry but I know it's been there since atleast 1939. The Little Brown Stein has been resting comfortably in Missoula since 2000.
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2005_2006_an/Photos/Fan_Photos/Jim_Baker/t_11242001_47.JPG

DUPFLFan
June 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks. Yes, all of us in conferences compete for trophies of that conference or league. I had in mind special "big game" trophies like those that have been mentioned.

Sorry if your offended... it's the only one we get to play for...:(

Demon Fan
June 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry if your offended... it's the only one we get to play for...:(

Not offended at all! It is I who should apologize, if I came across that way.

Freightliner
June 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
This is the best I could do. It's from the 2005 Nicholls State Football Media Guide.
You can add to that a 32-29 Nicholls State victory in 2005 bringing the record to 4-4 for both teams since the inception of the "Battle for the Paddle".

I've heard that the "Original Paddle" is located at Bubba's in Thibidoux. Any way you can corroborate on that?

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I've heard that the "Original Paddle" is located at Bubba's in Thibidoux. Any way you can corroborate on that?
Hmmm. It's highly possible. Next time I'm down in Thibodaux I'll definitely try to look into it for you!

Tod
June 29th, 2006, 12:17 AM
You know, I'll defend Griz football and our rivaly with the 'Cats any day of the week. Hell, I'll defend the 'Cats if backed into a corner.

But it would be nice to see that trophy from a better...angle?

Looks like the **** meteor from Joe Dirt.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/010420/dirt_l.jpg

DuckDuckGriz
June 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I wonder if we could find a better graphic of it. I saw it up close, it's a pretty damn cool trophy. They put it on the 50 yardline of the hosting team of that year's Griz-Cat game prior to the game. Atleast they did in Missoula in `04 and I assume that's what the picture was from in Bozeman.

GeauxColonels
June 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM
It does indeed sound like a great rivalry. I presume the winning team rings the river bell at midfield?
If I remember correctly the Colonels did grab that bell, hold it up and ring it. It was a great game, highly emotional and hard-fought on both sides and those guys up in Hammond do a TREMENDOUS job putting on a game. The campus is very nice too - overall, it's a WONDERFUL college football atmosphere out there and I look forward to many years of Nicholls State / Southeastern matchups!