PDA

View Full Version : Sports network pre-season AA teams for 2012

kdinva
July 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/IAA-pre-12-team.htm

GlassOnion
July 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Im expecting very big things from this App State defense. Two pre-season All Americans, but hopefully another one of the 3 Senior LBs get on the post season, Grier isnt too far behind Kimbrough in production. Kimbrough was at 105 total tackles, 12 for a loss, 4 sacks, 1 Int, 2 forced fumbles, Greir was at 97 total tackles, 10.5 for loss, 2 sacks 1 Int, 1 forced fumble. I think Grier's worthy of some hype. Blair at DE will be a beast too.

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Haha....1, count em, 1 player for NDSU (granted 1st team) made the list...I would have thought at least a few other guys like Heagle would have at least been 3rd team.

Sam_Kats
July 9th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Lots of talent on those lists

chattownmocs
July 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Interesting that they had Dothard as a postseason 1st teamer last year and Kimbrough as a 2nd teamer. Now they are flip flopped. Doesn't make much sense but it is arguable. However, with a tackling machine like Consiglio gone I would expect Dothard's numbers to go up.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Im expecting very big things from this App State defense. Two pre-season All Americans, but hopefully another one of the 3 Senior LBs get on the post season, Grier isnt too far behind Kimbrough in production. Kimbrough was at 105 total tackles, 12 for a loss, 4 sacks, 1 Int, 2 forced fumbles, Greir was at 97 total tackles, 10.5 for loss, 2 sacks 1 Int, 1 forced fumble. I think Grier's worthy of some hype. Blair at DE will be a beast too.

I was going to mention BG. He's a good bit bigger than Kimbrough and though I don't think he can eclipse his best friend while they're at App, I think Grier will have a better shot doing well on Sundays eventually.

SpiritCymbal
July 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I expect GSU FB Dominique Swope to be in the mix for the post-season AA teams. Kid had 1,033 yards last year and only started 6 games. He'll be the clear-cut #1 this year and will have at least 11 starts.

CropDuster
July 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Haha....1, count em, 1 player for NDSU (granted 1st team) made the list...I would have thought at least a few other guys like Heagle would have at least been 3rd team.

Same for GSU. Brent Russell is the only player on any list.

Professor Chaos
July 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
It's actually a point of pride for me at this point. The fact that NDSU can put together such a solid team without the benefit of any real superstars (except for Marcus Williams) is a testament to the coaching staff and the program. Unless you're John Calipari, you can't recruit AA talent every year so having the ability to meld a bunch of good players into a great team is a more sustainable model for winning.

And there is only 93 spots available for all 120+ teams so there's bound to be plenty of snubs.

Professor Chaos
July 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Same for GSU. Brent Russell is the only player on any list.
Same for Montana, Delaware, Maine, Lehigh, Stony Brook, Youngstown St, and Northern Iowa.

GlassOnion
July 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Unless you're John Calipari, you can't recruit AA talent every year so having the ability to meld a bunch of good players into a great team is a more sustainable model for winning.

Unless you're App State's Jerry Moore. 84 All Americans over all, and since 2000:

Corey Hall DB, 1999 & 2000
Tyler Elkins C, 2000 & 2001
Jimmy Freeman DL, 2000
Daniel Wilcox TE, 2000
Billy Young OT, 2000
Josh Jeffries DE, 2001 & 2002
Justin Seaverns LB, 2001
Wayne Smith OT, 2001
Ryan Watson DT, 2001
Joe Patrick OG, 2002
Derrick Black DB, 2003
Nate McKinney P, 2003
K.T. Stovall DE, 2003
DaVon Fowlkes WR, 2004
Jason Hunter DE, 2005
Matt Isenhour OT, 2005 & 2006
Corey Lynch DB, 2005, 2006 & 2007
Marques Murrell DE, 2005 & 2006
Kevin Richardson RB, 2005, 2006 & 2007
Jeremy Wiggins DB, 2005 & 2006
Richie Williams QB, 2005
Daniel Bettis TE, 2006
Kerry Brown OG, 2006 & 2007
Armanti Edwards QB, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009
Pierre Banks LB, 2007 & 2008
John Holt OL, 2007
Julian Rauch PK, 2007
Scott Suttle C, 2007
Gary Tharrington DL, 2007
Jerome Touchstone DB, 2007
Anthony Williams DT, 2007
Jon Bieschke OT, 2008
Cortez Gilbert DB, 2008 & 2009
Mark LeGree DB, 2008, 2009 & 2010
Jacque Roman LB, 2008 & 2009
Mario Acitelli OL, 2009
D.J. Smith LB, 2009 & 2010
Jabari Fletcher DE, 2010
Daniel Kilgore OL, 2010
DeAndre Presley QB, 2010
Brian Quick WR, 2010 & 2011
Orry Frye OL, 2011
Jeremy Kimbrough LB, 2011
Demetrius McCray

Professor Chaos
July 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Unless you're App State's Jerry Moore. 84 All Americans over all.
My point was that you can't depend on having superior talent all the time. I'm sure there are other schools like Montana and Delaware who could put together similar lists but titles aren't won because a school had 5 preseason All-Americans.

GlassOnion
July 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
My point was that you can't depend on having superior talent all the time. I'm sure there are other schools like Montana and Delaware who could put together similar lists but titles aren't won because a school had 5 preseason All-Americans.

Shoot, they can be won when you have 9, like the 2007 season. The number of All Americans on a team can also correlate to the number of quality players. If you've got 5 All Americans, you likely have 10 or 12 all coference guys. Its not like teams that have 5 AA's have 17 other scrubs starting.

BEAR
July 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
It's actually a point of pride for me at this point. The fact that NDSU can put together such a solid team without the benefit of any real superstars (except for Marcus Williams) is a testament to the coaching staff and the program. Unless you're John Calipari, you can't recruit AA talent every year so having the ability to meld a bunch of good players into a great team is a more sustainable model for winning.

And there is only 93 spots available for all 120+ teams so there's bound to be plenty of snubs.

I checked out your OL positions..no wonder the QB is so successful! Big uglies like that make gaps and give the QB time to toss that rock! Comparing to my team's OL...um..running from Six-One to Six-Four..yours starts at Six-four and up! Whatta ya feed them up there? xlolx Time to recruit up north now I guess!

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I checked out your OL positions..no wonder the QB is so successful! Big uglies like that make gaps and give the QB time to toss that rock! Comparing to my team's OL...um..running from Six-One to Six-Four..yours starts at Six-four and up! Whatta ya feed them up there? xlolx Time to recruit up north now I guess!

Don't worry, none of them are AA and must not be any good. :D Honestly though, we did lose 2 starters off of the line that has me a bit worried (one of them, Cornick, was an AA last year).

Professor Chaos
July 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
That's one thing the upper midwest is good at producing; cornfed farmboys (or at least with cornfed boys with farmboy mentalities). We don't have as many speedsters up here as you do down there but when you run through something you don't need to run around it.

asumike83
July 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
When was the last time Appalachian did not have a single player on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team offense? Not saying we have anyone that deserves that nod pre-season but I'd have to think it was around 2003 or so. Honestly, I kind of like the clean slate on offense. Lots of unproven talent, I'm excited to see what they can do with a cohesive offensive staff.

Kimbrough and McCray are very deserving on defense though, should be another very solid group.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Only two PL guys on the entire list and Fordham is ineligible for the league title. I can't believe a GTown or HC player didn't make the list. Both schools have a couple of really talented players returning.

By the end of the year NT Sajjad Chagani, 6'2 290, 3 year starter 2nd team All PL as a JR, Mike Vuono SR 6'3 295 OL First team All PL and Zach Barket SR 5'10 210 RB 1st team All PL with have a shot to crack the list.

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM

It's no different than DII or DIII for these publications.

Darts on a dart board.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
If Eastern fails to develop a running game this year, we could have 3 AA WRs by the season's end with Padron throwing to them. :D

BEAR
July 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Probably one of the smallest LBs I have ever seen...but this kid is so freakin' football smart its unreal. Speed to the ends and contain on assignment are his strengths. It seems like his name is called on every tackle. Glad to see his name in that list. Reminds me of Jordan Babineaux.

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2011/5/4/player_allison-seth%202011.jpg

#12 Seth Allison
Position: LB
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
Class: Senior
Hometown: Stuttgart, Ark.

Played in 33 career games…has made 168 tackles, including 92 solos and 17.5 for loss…has 4 sacks for a loss of 38 yards…has broken up two passes, forced two fumbles, recovered one fumble for a touchdown and blocked one kick…intercepted six passes for 48 yards and one touchdown

Awards: 2011 Sports Network/Fathead.com second team All-American…2011 All-Southland Conference First Team…2011 Southland Conference All-Academic Team…2010 All-Southland Conference Honorable Mention…2010 Southland
Conference All-Academic Team

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I expect GSU FB Dominique Swope to be in the mix for the post-season AA teams. Kid had 1,033 yards last year and only started 6 games. He'll be the clear-cut #1 this year and will have at least 11 starts.

I imagine Swope will be in the conversation. Still, until someone proves otherwise, Britenstein is the best runner in the conference. Wofford was a top 5 team based pretty much on one player.

ViennaSpider
July 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Congrats to Kendall Gaskins on his selection. With a little blocking up front, Kendall should have a fantastic senior year for the Spiders.

seantaylor
July 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
GSU will have a bunch of guys on the post season list. Names to look out for are Swope, Byrd, Wilcox, Dubose, Eubanks, Gebhardt, and Antwionne Williams.

dgreco
July 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I was hoping Jordan Brown would of been on the First team, especially after his performance last year.

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM
No Robert Alford = suspect list.

SpiritCymbal
July 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I imagine Swope will be in the conversation. Still, until someone proves otherwise, Britenstein is the best runner in the conference. Wofford was a top 5 team based pretty much on one player.

Agreed. Not trying to say that I think Swope will definitely be 1st team AA, but I think he has the potential to be considered one of the top 3 FB's in the nation once the season is over.

GoAgs72
July 10th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Interesting for the California teams - San Diego (two) has one more on the pre-season All-American list than UC Davis (one), Cal Poly (none) and Sac State (none) combined.

seantaylor
July 10th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Agreed. Not trying to say that I think Swope will definitely be 1st team AA, but I think he has the potential to be considered one of the top 3 FB's in the nation once the season is over.

Ill take it even further. Swope will out rush Ben Stein this season.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 10th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Probably one of the smallest LBs I have ever seen...but this kid is so freakin' football smart its unreal. Speed to the ends and contain on assignment are his strengths. It seems like his name is called on every tackle. Glad to see his name in that list. Reminds me of Jordan Babineaux.

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2011/5/4/player_allison-seth%202011.jpg

#12 Seth Allison
Position: LB
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
Class: Senior
Hometown: Stuttgart, Ark.

Played in 33 career games…has made 168 tackles, including 92 solos and 17.5 for loss…has 4 sacks for a loss of 38 yards…has broken up two passes, forced two fumbles, recovered one fumble for a touchdown and blocked one kick…intercepted six passes for 48 yards and one touchdown

Awards: 2011 Sports Network/Fathead.com second team All-American…2011 All-Southland Conference First Team…2011 Southland Conference All-Academic Team…2010 All-Southland Conference Honorable Mention…2010 Southland
Conference All-Academic Team

That's what JC Sherritt was for us, except he was an inch or two shorter, and had about 150/160 tackles a year his final two years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2012, 06:52 AM

IMO, Heagle is a superstar. He could play on any Big 10 team right now. Some guys get overlooked.

Skjellyfetti
July 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Congrats to Kendall Gaskins on his selection. With a little blocking up front, Kendall should have a fantastic senior year for the Spiders.

An alum of my high school! Cheering for Kendall from a distance and hoping he doesn't play App in the playoffs. xthumbsupx