DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Details:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

Coaches quote:

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070512aaa.html

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'm calling the FiOS people. Do they know about this? It has to be stopped.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
"Our kids are very excited about playing on national television against a storied program like Princeton," Head Coach Kevin Kelly said.

But when you play against an un-storied, P.O.S. team like Lafayette, it's perfectly fine to be complicit in your employer's effort to shut down completely a regional broadcast that didn't necessarily benefit you, isn't that right, Coach Kelly?

Oh, and big props to Georgetown for playing Princeton for the first time since 1923. Wow. What an accomplishment. Do you know how many times our un-stroried, worthless little P.O.S. little college has played Princeton in that time? We're playing Princeton at home this year on October 6. Want to try to block that broadcast, too, Coach Kelly? After all Princeton would never in this lifetime travel to "Multi-Sport Field." Yet the Tigers travel to Easton for every other game. Maybe you should do something about that, Coach Kelly.

I now am reminded of how much I thoroughly detest Georgetown football. And I hope that the Tigers kick your collective arses out the back door, down the hill, off the top of Jadwin, and into Lake Carnegie. It would be worth showing up in my orange and black to witness the national embarrassment.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5684/notvavilogo.png

DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
After all Princeton would never in this lifetime travel to "Multi-Sport Field."

Sept. 28, 2013: Princeton at Georgetown
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-schedules.htm

van
July 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
[I]
I now am reminded of how much I thoroughly detest Georgetown football. And I hope that the Tigers kick your collective arses out the back door, down the hill, off the top of Jadwin, and into Lake Carnegie. It would be worth showing up in my orange and black to witness the national embarrassment.

Sorry Bogie, the Curse only exists between you two cats.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sept. 28, 2013: Princeton at Georgetown
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-schedules.htm

As CBS will never broadcast from Bucknell, right?

Georgetown either will fold or will be in the PFL by 2013. I'm bringing a huge "Denied" sign to the Princeton game and I will be sure that the ESPN cameras capture it.

Georgetown owes Lafayette a public apology for its conduct and its ensuing dismissiveness. I'm holding my breath.

Fordham
July 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
good stuff. congrats Hoyas

Ivytalk
July 5th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Princeton's program may be "storied," but lately that "story" has focused on almost total suckitude. Nobody will watch that game.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Personally, I think Princeton and ESPNU did this purposely to spite Bogie and Lafayette. Come on, Tigers, "The Curse" isn't enough? xlolx

bjtheflamesfan
July 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
"Our kids are very excited about playing on national television against a storied program like Princeton," Head Coach Kevin Kelly said.

But when you play against an un-storied, P.O.S. team like Lafayette, it's perfectly fine to be complicit in your employer's effort to shut down completely a regional broadcast that didn't necessarily benefit you, isn't that right, Coach Kelly?

Oh, and big props to Georgetown for playing Princeton for the first time since 1923. Wow. What an accomplishment. Do you know how many times our un-stroried, worthless little P.O.S. little college has played Princeton in that time? We're playing Princeton at home this year on October 6. Want to try to block that broadcast, too, Coach Kelly? After all Princeton would never in this lifetime travel to "Multi-Sport Field." Yet the Tigers travel to Easton for every other game. Maybe you should do something about that, Coach Kelly.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5684/notvavilogo.png

bitter much? xbawlingx

Sandlapper Spike
July 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
What was the deal with the Georgetown-Lafayette TV issue?

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
bitter much? xbawlingx

Yes, but it is a well-refined, tempered and practiced bitterness. Objective, measured and emotionless; designed to achieve a specific goal. And while revenge is a dish best served cold, I haven't yet the confidence that the brisk, chilly Halloween winds of Easton will supply these 2012 Leopards with the victory over Georgetown that ordinarily would quench my thirst for payback.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Princeton's program may be "storied," but lately that "story" has focused on almost total suckitude. Nobody will watch that game.

It's a shame what has happened at Princeton. In 2006 they finished 9-1 and ranked #18 in the country, now they're one of the 10 worst programs in FCS.

Despite their struggles, a trip to Princeton Stadium to catch a Tigers game is always worth it.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
It's a shame what has happened at Princeton. In 2006 they finished 9-1 and ranked #18 in the country, now they're one of the 10 worst programs in FCS.

Despite their struggles, a trip to Princeton Stadium to catch a Tigers game is always worth it.

My question is whether Surace will survive the season. A third straight horrible season will probably doom him. And Georgetown will be the favorite in this game, guaranteed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
My question is whether Surace will survive the season. A third straight horrible season will probably doom him. And Georgetown will be the favorite in this game, guaranteed.

I don't understand why Princeton has struggled so much the last 15 years. They always seem to have quality individual talent but for some reason the Tigers can't put it together.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Personally, I think Princeton and ESPNU did this purposely to spite Bogie and Lafayette. Come on, Tigers, "The Curse" isn't enough? xlolx

Despite my best effort, and despite Hoya complaints that they don't really have an in-league rival, Georgetown seems nonplussed about engaging Lafayette in a nice "TV Rivalry." I'm sure they'd like to have a nice Princeton or a Penn rivalry - but we had dibs on those two a long, long time ago. Besides, Princeton is nowhere near as mean-spirited as am I so no rivalry is likely to start there on the basis of smack.

While I don't think that ESPNU knows or cares about last season's TV debacle, I can be reasonably certain that Georgetown worked just a tiny bit harder with FiOS to make sure that the Princeton/Georgetown broadcast would be good to go.

It's always nice to be reminded by Georgetown Athletics that Lafayette and the rest of the Patriot League really isn't worth their effort.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I am picturing Bogie and myself calling this game for ESPNU, somehow. I think it would be a pretty damned entertaining three hours of television, with Bogie consistently referring back to the Georgetown/Lafayette TV fracas and me railing against the fact that the Ivies choose not to compete in the FCS playoffs. Must-see TV! xlolx

DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I am picturing Bogie and myself calling this game for ESPNU, somehow. I think it would be a pretty damned entertaining three hours of television, with Bogie consistently referring back to the Georgetown/Lafayette TV fracas and me railing against the fact that the Ivies choose not to compete in the FCS playoffs. Must-see TV!

If you think he's angry now, wait for the thread when Ch. 69 gets to televise the Lehigh @ Georgetown game in November.

RichH2
July 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I am grateful to ESPNU for getting Bogie off lax and back to football. The quest is LEGEN ( wait for it ) ! DARY!

Ivytalk
July 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM

It is a very nice stadium, I'll grant you that.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I am picturing Bogie and myself calling this game for ESPNU, somehow. I think it would be a pretty damned entertaining three hours of television, with Bogie consistently referring back to the Georgetown/Lafayette TV fracas and me railing against the fact that the Ivies choose not to compete in the FCS playoffs. Must-see TV! xlolx

I would amass a compendium of pejoratives to put even my most strident Lehigh attack to shame.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
If you think he's angry now, wait for the thread when Ch. 69 gets to televise the Lehigh @ Georgetown game in November.

You started a thread about Georgetown being on television. Against one of Lafayette's traditional OOC rivals, no less. Did you expect that I would sit idly by without comment as the accolades for televised Hoya football poured in from AGS well-wishers?

Precious little prospect of that. xrolleyesx

LBPop
July 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm sitting in my office totally amazed that Georgetown football has become relevant enough to cause this much commotion. Kind of nice, actually.;)

RichH2
July 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
It is indeed. With Lehigh coming back to the pack a bit,race will be fun.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I would amass a compendium of pejoratives to put even my most strident Lehigh attack to shame.

http://sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Summerall-Madden.jpg

LFN: "Darby tucks it under his wing and gets four yards up the middle... and the Ivy League still doesn't have a postseason."

Bogie: "See, here's Georgetown's SID. Boom. Here was the TV camera over there, and then (scribbling)... he knocks him out of the play! Just like that."

TheRevSFA
July 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM
The tagline for this game could be - "The Team with no playoff hopes vs the Team without a decent field to play on"

CFBfan
July 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Despite my best effort, and despite Hoya complaints that they don't really have an in-league rival, Georgetown seems nonplussed about engaging Lafayette in a nice "TV Rivalry." I'm sure they'd like to have a nice Princeton or a Penn rivalry - but we had dibs on those two a long, long time ago. Besides, Princeton is nowhere near as mean-spirited as am I so no rivalry is likely to start there on the basis of smack.

While I don't think that ESPNU knows or cares about last season's TV debacle, I can be reasonably certain that Georgetown worked just a tiny bit harder with FiOS to make sure that the Princeton/Georgetown broadcast would be good to go.

It's always nice to be reminded by Georgetown Athletics that Lafayette and the rest of the Patriot League really isn't worth their effort.

It's a home game for Princeton NOT the Hoyas Bogie!!!

Seawolf97
July 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Anytime an FCS game is broadcast on any national station it is plus for those programs and FCS in general. Congrats on this one!

BucBisonAtLarge
July 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Great deal! With the addition of Bucknell-Harvard, that is four PL-involved games on national cable outlets, plus the weekly coverage both LC and LU get...

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm sitting in my office totally amazed that Georgetown football has become relevant enough to cause this much commotion. Kind of nice, actually.;)

You'll thank us all some day. Grass roots rivalry building is not a task for the shy or the feint of heart.

LFN: "Darby tucks it under his wing and gets four yards up the middle... and the Ivy League still doesn't have a postseason."

Bogie: "See, here's Georgetown's SID. Boom. Here was the TV camera over there, and then (scribbling)... he knocks him out of the play! Just like that."

Further proof that you and I should be permitted into the booth. We could make quite a shambles. And given my close familiarity with the Princeton campus (we could bring Go...gate in on this, too), we could do a taped pre-game segment with a tour of Princeton eating clubs to point out the comparisons to real fraternities. Then go live to the A&B for the Hoya-bashing post game.

Yes, I realize that. And both schools have contracts with FiOS, which underscores further last season's inexcusable nonchalance and lack of diligence by the Hoyas.

Great deal! With the addition of Bucknell-Harvard, that is four PL-involved games on national cable outlets, plus the weekly coverage both LC and LU get...

The true test will be in whether ESPNU slants it more as an Ivy game or a Patriot game.

Go...gate
July 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Anytime an FCS game is broadcast on any national station it is plus for those programs and FCS in general. Congrats on this one!

Yes.

CFBfan
July 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, I realize that. And both schools have contracts with FiOS, which underscores further last season's inexcusable nonchalance and lack of diligence by the Hoyas.

GU's deal with FIOS is only for home games....just not sure how that applies to this?

RichH2
July 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Next Q, once schollies take hold will Ivies schedule any PL squad other than Hoyas?

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Next Q, once schollies take hold will Ivies schedule any PL squad other than Hoyas?

Ivy commish Robin Harris:

"We have certain rivalries with the Patriot League that I think will continue. There may be other games that stop because there will be reasons to look at other athletic scholarship schools. But, certainly, I like the relationship that we have with the Patriot League and I hope that that continues."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/02/15/five-side-ivy-leagues-robin-harris/

Now, the real question is, when Ms. Harris points out "certain rivalries with the Patriot League," does that even include Georgetown? One could argue defensibly that it does not.

Bogus Megapardus
July 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM
GU's deal with FIOS is only for home games....just not sure how that applies to this?

And Georgetown's contract with the Patriot League requires it to accommodate live television broadcasts, to work faithfully and diligently to avoid conflicts borne of individual contractual arrangements, and to notify other league members in a timely fashion of any potential difficulty. I think we all can agree that Georgetown, quite unapologetically, never even attempted any of those things last season. Keep in mind always that Georgetown consciously and deliberately made a pact with FiOS to block LSN broadcasts. It then disguised that fact from Lafayette until the very last second - when the LSN crew, equipment and booth talent already were on location and after LSN already had made third party broadcast and advertising commitments. And never a word of regret about the situation it caused.

Princeton has had a contract with FiOS since 2006. Yet no difficulty with LSN broadcasts ever arises when Lafayette plays at Princeton Stadium. That's because Princeton cares enough to supply notice of a potential conflict and to secure appropriate waivers well in advance when it faces its long time-rival to the north.

I'm certainly pleased to see that Georgetown now has decided to make an effort . . . because it's Princeton. But were it Lafayette or another Patriot team? I doubt it.

DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM
And Georgetown's contract with the Patriot League requires it to accommodate live television broadcasts, to work faithfully and diligently to avoid conflicts borne of individual contractual arrangements, and to notify other league members in a timely fashion of any potential difficulty. I think we all can agree that Georgetown, quite unapologetically, never even attempted any of those things last season. Keep in mind always that Georgetown consciously and deliberately made a pact with FiOS to block LSN broadcasts. It then disguised that fact from Lafayette until the very last second - when the LSN crew, equipment and booth talent already were on location and after LSN already had made third party broadcast and advertising commitments. And never a word of regret about the situation it caused.

[Give it a few more days and Bogus will claim Georgetown is in default of its Patriot League obligations and that this game should be retroactively forfeited in the name of good sportsmanship and better turnout at the Coke Zone.]

Let's remind the 99% of the readers unaffiliated with this thread what happened: Lafayette Sports Network runs its broadcasts through RCN Cable. One of RCN's chief competitors is Verizon, which has rights to 3-4 Georgetown home games a year from the Unfriendly Confines of Multi-Sport Field. In the years when Georgetown didn't have a TV provider, LSN broadcast the Leopards' five wins from 2001-09 without incident. In 2011, Verizon exercised exclusivity to its home game rights for cable (NOT online) and denied access to MSF for RCN cable (NOT online) to broadcast the game on a rival service. Remember, LSN did broadcast the game online.

(No one presumed to note the obvious--there is practically no room in the MSF press box (and yes, it's a box) to hold two active broadcast crews, much less cameras. Quote from the Morning Call blog that night: "This place is brutal. I'm seated between the public address announcer and a Georgetown intern who is in charge of pumping music into the stadium..." No WiFi, no press food table, and certainly no facilities for a halftime break.)

But back to the corporate side of it. When Notre Dame hosts Michigan, ESPN can't cover the game if NBC has the rights at Notre Dame Stadium. If Budweiser is the official beer at the Eagles games, Miller can't show up and expect to set up taps. You can't fly a banner for Brooks shoes over the Olympic trials because Nike will have you thrown out of the stadium:

http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/at-olympic-trials-shoe-companies-compete-too/

This is a dispute between two cable providers, not the coaches, not the teams, not the universities. If the PL was even remotely interested about this,have them sign an league wide agreement which binds all its teams to the same rules.In the interim, it's just one cable provider against each other, and if Verizon wants to send a truck to Fisher Field, RCN can return the favor. In the meantime, on to Princeton.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 6th, 2012, 01:53 AM
As an impartial observer, whenever Lehigh plays Princeton, WFMZ has successfully made deals to broadcast Lehigh's local broadcast team from within Princeton stadium on a fairly regular basis. Granted, Princeton Stadium is one of the nicest stadiums in all of FCS, with enough room for three entire camera crews (no exaggeration), and WFMZ is not a direct competitor with Verizon or FiOS. But Princeton has seen its local coverage on WFMZ as a net positive for the program, not something to be locked away, never to be seen again.

Over the years, WFMZ has never offered to broadcast from the Lehigh announcing crew at MSF to my knowledge. They haven't broadcast from Georgetown ever (to my knowledge), not from Bucknell in the last decade (they may have in the 80s/90s), and, since 2000, not from Fordham. Colgate and Holy Cross almost always get WFMZ games, however.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 6th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I think a big part of the issue is the downright silliness of the FiOS deal for Georgetown. In most normal TV deals, part of the deal is to actually broadcast the games so they're actually shown on actual TV screens, live. Is Georgetown's the only one where it's essentially against the rules to do so? I think it would be a lot more palatable to the LSN crowd to only have one broadcaster if the games were broadcast live in the DC area to an actual audience. Instead, to preserve some "deal" with Verizon, (that cannot possibly involve actual money or public demand for Georgetown football broadcasts), LSN's live broadcast is essentially kicked out so that cameramen who aren't going to broadcast the game on TV can film it.

It seems like there should have been some communication should have happened between the two schools on the TV aspect of this, but didn't. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Verizon was so pissed at RCN that they denied the 0.1 share that the game would get to RCN. More likely this could have been settled weeks in advance, amicably, but no phone call was ever made.

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
No one is arguing "for" Verizon in this case--it's a business squabble that benefits no one. And in case one asks, who is the cable provider to Georgetown University? No, not Verizon. It's RCN.

http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/j/georgetown

kdinva
July 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Quote from the Morning Call blog that night: "This place is brutal. I'm seated between the public address announcer and a Georgetown intern who is in charge of pumping music into the stadium..." No WiFi, no press food table, and certainly no facilities for a halftime break.)

What is being done about this?

meanwhile, when VMI built and opened their FB Building in 1989, the Press area was drawn up and designed and built with only 2 broadcast booths (the architect didn't think, at the time, about a 3rd booth for the rare TV game). Now, for a TV game in Lex., the VMI radio crew huffs it to the roof w/the Team film crews, and tarps rigged for any weather issues. xshakefistx

apaladin
July 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM

That's all well and good, but have you noticed that when ESPNU televises an FCS regular season game they rarely offer up the best that FCS has to offer?

CFBfan
July 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM
That's all well and good, but have you noticed that when ESPNU televises an FCS regular season game they rarely offer up the best that FCS has to offer?

while that's true I would assume they feel that they are getting name recognition with 2 nationaly recognized univ's. and more people may watch becasue of name recognition than say UNH or Elon or Wofford GSU, etc.....

Bogus Megapardus
July 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Give it a few more days and Bogus will claim Georgetown is in default of its Patriot League obligations and that this game should be retroactively forfeited in the name of good sportsmanship and better turnout at the Coke Zone.

At $35.00 a ticket, those Coke Zone seats actually sell out!

Let's remind the 99% of the readers unaffiliated with this thread what happened

Well, that's part of it. Here's how I understand the process. LSN is an independent network. LSN contracts with RCN Cable for production services in order to broadcast, for live television, all Lafayette home and away football games, all home men's and women's basketball games, select away basketball games, and a handful of other sports. LSN arranges for commercial advertising from the typical kinds of sponsors associated with college sports - Coke, Met Life, Honda, Nike, Chick-fil-A, Papa John's, etc. That pays the bills and all supports all of our student-athletes.

Once the game and the advertising are packaged, LSN then distributes the package for broadcast to several outlets. RCN Cable, which has franchise territories in parts of the Lehigh Valley, Western New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston and Washington, D.C., is one such outlet. RCN Cable pays and/or barters for broadcast rights to the package and broadcasts the games live over its captive sports channel in those markets.

LSN also licenses the broadcast to WBPH TV-60 in the Lehigh Valley. WBPH TV-60 is a commercial, over-the-air television station. It broadcasts all of the games as well. WBPH TV-60 is included in the basic cable package of Comcast, Patriot Cable and - yes, even FiOS - customers in the Philadelphia/Delaware/New Jersey region. Similarly, WBPH TV-60 is included in the basic package for Dish Network and DirecTV customers in those areas as well. Tens of millions of people are able to view live television broadcasts of Lafayette games in this fashion. RCN Cable numbers pale by comparison.

Last season, Georgetown and FiOS blocked not only the "competing" RCN Cable broadcast of the Lafayette/Georgetown game, it also blocked the WBPH TV-60 over-the-air broadcast, which they had no right to do. Astonishingly, the game already was listed for broadcast on FiOS itself - because FiOS carries WBPH TV-60 in Philadelphia - until Georgetown and FiOS nixed it at the very last second.

The comparisons to NBC, Notre Dame, etc. are not apt. ESPN can't broadcast a Notre Dame game becasue NBC has an exclusive right to broadcast Notre Dame games. The operative words are, "to broadcast." I could understand FiOS asserting exclusivity over Georgetown football games if FiOS intended "to broadcast" the game itself. But FiOS did not intend to broadcast the game. FiOS never listed the game for broadcast, it never produced a broadcast package for the game, and in fact it never broadcast the game, anywhere, at and time. The sole result of the action that FiOS/Georgetown took was not to maintain their competitive right. Rather, it was merely to obstruct LSN, along with its advertisers and production crew.

So, Georgetown breached its obligation to the Patriot League to facilitate the LSN broadcast because Georgetown and FiOS knew that there would be no exclusive, competing broadcast. Georgetown and FiOS knew that there would be no competing, exclusive broadcast because no broadcast ever was produced. Georgetown did nothing whatsoever to try to remedy the situation.

And that, dear AGS readers, is the rest of the story.

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If FiOS is actually paying someone not to broadcast games, there's a problem with their business model.

Bogus Megapardus
July 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM
If FiOS is actually paying someone not to broadcast games, there's a problem with their business model.

Georgetown owes Lafayette a public apology. I will continue to hold my breath.

Superbly penned piece on The Third Rail (http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2012/07/friday-night-lights.html), though, DFW. After reading it, and for a solid five minutes afterwards, I was so moved by your passion that I considered regretting some of my AGS rants towards Georgetown.

Go...gate
July 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
The game also marks a philosophical change in PU scheduling which will continue at least through 2017, in that Colgate, en route to 60 FB scholarships will be replaced on two season schedules by "low/moderate equivalency" Georgetown and "non-scholarship" Davidson. Just my opinion, but I have a feeling that the phasing in of such opponents is how the Ivy plans to handle the PL's adoption of grants-in-aid. We may see the curtailment or the complete ending of some old series, and that is not happy news.

Engineer86
July 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
while that's true I would assume they feel that they are getting name recognition with 2 nationaly recognized univ's. and more people may watch becasue of name recognition than say UNH or Elon or Wofford GSU, etc.....

I wonder how many people would watch a college football game because of the name of the school, unless they have an interest. I really think they have a better shot at attracting more viewers going after true FCS fans by showing a top 20 FCS matchup each week.

LBPop
July 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I wonder how many people would watch a college football game because of the name of the school, unless they have an interest. I really think they have a better shot at attracting more viewers going after true FCS fans by showing a top 20 FCS matchup each week.

That's an interesting question and I can offer a little anecdotal perspective. When I was following LBKid around the east coast watching the Hoyas, the team was winning two or three games each year---and very few of those were Patriot League games. But despite that poor record, I was frequently taken by the respect that the team garnered from casual fans at other schools. At places like Stony Brook and Marist seeing the Georgetown football team was a big deal...and I was kind of surprised because I was used to hearing from the Lehigh/Lafayette/Holy Cross fans who pitied the poor Georgetown fans (much worse than hearing typical trash talk). Sure, the people who were drawn by the Georgetown name were not the "hard core" FCS fans that knew about the Hoyas' plight. But they were football fans who certainly knew about Georgetown.

My point here is that this board is full of people who know their football--especially FCS. But maybe the folks selecting the Georgetown vs. Princeton game to be televised understand that they might need to appeal to the other, much larger, group. I'm not saying they are right, but I can tell you that name recognition and the reputation of the institution matter. And in the end, that's a large part of why LBKid went to Georgetown...not the "stellar record" of the football team, but the "stellar" quality of the school.

Engineer86
July 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM
That is great for a kid to choose a school, but no one other than Pop and an alumni is watching their football game and in the case of these teams even non-football alumni are not watching it, so the viewers are near zero

TheValleyRaider
July 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM
That is great for a kid to choose a school, but no one other than Pop and an alumni is watching their football game and in the case of these teams even non-football alumni are not watching it, so the viewers are near zero

Could always grab a few wandering eyes. People like familiar names, and Georgetown and Princeton are certainly familiar. Heck, CBS scrolls Ivy League scores on their bottom line during their broadcasts, right there with the Big 10 and SEC

The game also marks a philosophical change in PU scheduling which will continue at least through 2017, in that Colgate, en route to 60 FB scholarships will be replaced on two season schedules by "low/moderate equivalency" Georgetown and "non-scholarship" Davidson. Just my opinion, but I have a feeling that the phasing in of such opponents is how the Ivy plans to handle the PL's adoption of grants-in-aid. We may see the curtailment or the complete ending of some old series, and that is not happy news.

I figure we had to see this coming somewhat. Dartmouth dropped us even before scholarships, we haven't seen Brown or Columbia in years (Brown seems especially sad). About the only Ivy that seems like they'll still play us is Cornell (fingers crossed)

ngineer
July 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Maybe ESPNU thought they were getting a preseason basketball game...

LBPop
July 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM

I defer to Mr. Neilsen.

CFBfan
July 9th, 2012, 08:47 AM

and you say that with such conviction and certainty based on what??

ngineer
July 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM

I question that. Would be interesting to see actual data on viewership. I think "true" college football fans, and even anyone who likes a a football game, and perhaps one involving schools that are not normally associated with football, will check it out. I know I am always checking out other football games involving schools that are not "center ring". I don't always stay with the game, but if it provides some interestng moments, I can be sucked in.

Bogus Megapardus
July 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Here's the composite national broadcast schedule (http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm) for the weekend of September 22, showing the competition for the Princeton/Georgetown game:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/681/compositetvschedule.png

If you happen to be home that Friday evening (and not at a High School game) and you are in the mood for some football, I'd like to think that, for a lot of folks, Georgetown vs. Princeton would be a very appealing alternative to Baylor vs. La.-Monroe. Georgetown and Princeton are household brand names for reasons other than football. People just might want to see what such a game might look like. When they tune in and see that it's real, high-caliber, fast-paced DI football in a beautiful, multi-tiered stadium, they might stick around for a while.

Interestingly, Harvard, Brown, Lafayette, Bucknell, Yale and Cornell all play on national television the next day (unless Georgetown and FiOS decide to try to . . . never mind. xrolleyesx)

EDIT: All times shown above are Central Time. Here's the 2012 broadcast schedule in Eastern Time:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-07-10/2012-national-TV-schedule/56134756/1

DFW HOYA
July 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
If you happen to be home that Friday evening (and not at a High School game) and you are in the mood for some football, I'd like to think that, for a lot of folks, Georgetown vs. Princeton would be a very appealing alternative to Baylor vs. La.-Monroe. Georgetown and Princeton household brand names for reasons other than football. People just might want to see what such a game might look like. When they tune in and see that it's real, high-caliber, fast-paced DI football in a beautiful, multi-tiered stadium, they might stick around for a while.

Thanks for the link. And it's not only Baylor vs. NE Louisiana (um, Louisiana-Monroe), it's in Monroe, little of which exudes a scenic college campus. Here's their stadium--not much larger than Princeton (30,477) but likely to have more in the seats:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i189/qng001/malone_stadium.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/qng001/malone_stadium.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the link. And it's not only Baylor vs. NE Louisiana (um, Louisiana-Monroe), it's in Monroe, little of which exudes a scenic college campus. Here's their stadium--not much larger than Princeton (30,477) but likely to have more in the seats:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i189/qng001/malone_stadium.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/qng001/malone_stadium.jpg

I don't know about that fans in the seats part. Princeton fans always seem to show for the Friday games, and I think Friday Night Lights will suppress the number of Baylor fans that make the trip... I think it will be a toss-up in terms of attendance at both games, both clearing about 10,000-12,000 each.

Worth mentioning that Monroe only averaged 15,000 per game last year.

Bogus Megapardus
July 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Here's the composite national broadcast schedule (http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm) for the weekend of September 22, showing the competition for the Princeton/Georgetown game

After reading DFW HOYA's post on the Georgetown Board (http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=football&thread=25894&page=1#503336), it occurs to me that all of the times shown on the composite schedule that I posted in the above link are Central time. DFW supplied a link showing the 2012 composite broadcast schedule in Eastern Time:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-07-10/2012-national-TV-schedule/56134756/1

This serves as a reminder of necessary and essential reinforcement of east coast bias in all things related to FCS football. DFW should have called out my ineptitude. Let that be a lesson to me.