PDA

View Full Version : Players that aren't getting enough press

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have been too busy to post on message boards but have been watching a lot of tape.

Here are some players nobody seems to be talking about but they are legit guys to watch.

Just a note, IMO Elon WR Aaron Mellette is the best player in FCS. What he did vs Vandy, App State, and GSU was simply impressive. He is a future top 100 draft pick.

The best QB in FCS and it isn't even close IMO is Brad Sorensen of Southern Utah. He's a player. Big arm. Good size. Just needs to work on turnovers at times.

W&M CB B.W. Webb is another stud that people need to rate higher. If he were 6'0 or 6'1 he would be a top 50 draft pick.

A QB that people seem to be underrating is SELU CB Robert Alford. He is getting legit 4th-6th round grades from NFL folks and he has skills. Probably a 4.48 40 guy. He's like 5'11 186 and has long arms. I like him.

The most underrated RB and he's #3 on my board is NAU's Zach Bauman. Bauman is a stud, period. You can't argue his ability. Watch his highlight tape on Youtube if you can't get full games or don't get to see him in person.

I don't have Matt Evans as a top 20 player in FCS and he isn't even a top 3 LB in FCS IMO. I have Keith Pough, Jeremy Kimbrough, and Jody Owens ahead of him. He makes way too many tackles down the field and isn't overly fast or a major impact player. He's the 2nd most talented player on that defense, according to NFL scouts. They like the DT Jared Smith.

WR is a loaded class this year. Between the EWU trio, Rod Rumble, Spadola, Mellette, Tyrone Goard, Norman White, Xavier Boyce, Tyrone Walker, Gralyn Crawford, Shane Savage, and Cordell Roberson this is going to be a loaded year in FCS.

Word on the street is that if EWU QB Kyle Padron has a big year he will declare for the NFL Draft. He and Marcus Coker are two players high on my potential early entry watch list.

As for QBs outside of Sorensen I like Jeff Mathews, Casey Brockman, Kurt Hess, Taylor Heinicke, DeNarius McGhee, Matt Brown, Grant Enders, and Austin Sumner a lot. Those guys are all top tier QBs in FCS. I think 2 of them will play on Sundays for sure.

Terrance West, Tim Flanders, Bauman, Shakir Bell, Jordan Brown, Washaun Ealey, Coker, Jamaine Cooke, Miguel Maysonet, Andrew Pierce, Matt Denham, Mike Mayhew, Sam Ojuri, and Dae'Quan Scott are stud RBs. All of them are All-America caliber players.

My top TE is Colin Anderson of Furman. I do think there are about 5-7 good ones this year with 3 underclassmen who have a shot to be special for next year if they have a big year. Keep an eye on Richmond's Kevin Finney. The NFL likes him.

On the OL outside of Watford the NFL really likes Rogers Gaines, Terron Armstead, Terren Jones, YSU OG Lamar Mady, and Tenn St C Sherman Carter. Keep an eye on potential sleepers on the OL Mady, NDSU OT Billy Turner, SC State OG Sam Hammond, and Alabama A&M OT Jamaal Johnson-Webb.

For DE there are a lot of really good ones. I have about 8 or 9 as legit draftable or PFA types for this year and I have two juniors on my list for the NFL in 2014. Watch for Ben Obaseki, Willie Jefferson, Blake Oliaro, Frank Beltre, Joshua Williams, Jomarcus Savage, Joseph Lebeau, and Ross Brenneman. I like how Jarvis Wilson moves and runs. He's raw but could be an OLB in the NFL.

At DT the best is Brent Russell, it's not even close. Keep your eyes on Reid from Princeton and Burnette from ODU. Larsen at Southern Utah is solid and MSU's Zach Minter is a good one. UT Martin's Montori Hughes is loved by NFL scouts but his baggage has him outside of the draft on my board.

The top 10 LBs I have seen so far (in no order) are: Keith Pough, Craig Wilkins, Tyler Starr, Jody Owens, Alvin Scioneaux, Jeremy Kimbrough, Matt Evans, Clarence Bumpas, Wes Dothard, and Aaron Archie. Stephon Robertson of JMU is a junior who is a guy to watch.

Some potential stud underclassmen at LB outside of Bumpas, Dothard, Starr and Scioneaux are going to be Johnny Millard of Cal Poly, Todd Davis of Sac State, and Chad Hansen of Southern Utah. I also think that Ricky Irvin of SELU is not bad.

The top 10 CBs in no order are: BW Webb, Marcus Williams, Charles James, Demetrius McCray, Bookie Sneed, Robert Alford, Eriq Lewis, Jeremy Moore, and Dax Swanson.

Keep your eyes on potential breakout CBs in Ivan Toomer of Gardner-Webb, Courtney Bridgett of Hampton, and Derrick Murray of Furman.

My top safeties are Kejuan Riley, Malcolm Bronson, Jordan Dangerfield, Jamaal White, Jestin Love, Serge Kona, and Darnell Taylor. Some sleepers to watch are Furman's Mitch McGrath, JMU's Dean Marlowe, and Matt Hermanson of Montana.

Some kickers and punters to watch are Zach Brown, Sean Baner, Jonathan Plisco, Cass Couey, Jake Miller, and Patrick Murray.

Looking at my top overall rankings a few players rated fairly high I did not mention above here are Wofford's Eric Breitenstein, EKU's Patrick Ford, K Tyler Sievertsen of UNI, and Montana OT Danny Kistler.

Here are the 20 names I would put on the Payton and Buchanan lists:

WALTER PAYTON WATCH
RB Zach Bauman, Northern Arizona, Jr., 5-10, 200
RB Shakir Bell, Indiana State, Jr., 5-8, 185
FB Eric Breitenstein, Wofford, Sr., 5-11, 225
QB Casey Brockman, Murray State, Sr., 6-2, 215
RB Jordan Brown, Bryant, Sr., 5-9, 185
RB Marcus Coker, Stony Brook, Jr., 5-11, 230
RB Jamaine Cook, Youngstown State, Sr., 5-9, 205
RB Matt Denham, Eastern Kentucky, Sr., 5-11, 181
RB Washaun Ealey, Jacksonville State, Sr., 5-11, 215
WR Nicholas Edwards, Eastern Washington, Sr., 6-3, 200
RB Tim Flanders, Sam Houston State, Jr., 5-9, 210
QB Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion, Soph., 6-1, 190
QB Jeff Mathews, Cornell, Jr., 6-4, 210
QB DeNarius McGhee, Montana State, Jr., 5-11, 210
WR Aaron Mellette, Elon, Sr., 6-4, 212
RB Andrew Pierce, Delaware, Jr., 5-11, 200
WR Rodrick Rumble, Idaho State, Sr., 6-2, 201
QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah, Sr., 6-5, 225
WR Ryan Spadola, Lehigh, Sr., 6-3, 205
RB Terrance West, Towson, Soph., 5-11, 223

BUCK BUCHANAN BATTLE
LB Aaron Archie, Indiana State, Sr., 6-0, 235
LB Clarence Bumpas, Northern Colorado, Jr., 6-2, 244
LB Wes Dothard, Chattanooga, Jr., 6-1, 235
LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Sr., 6-0, 227
DE Willie Jefferson, Stephen F. Austin, Sr., 6-6, 235
LB Jeremy Kimbrough, Appalachian State, Sr., 5-11, 238
DE Joseph Lebeau, Jackson State, Sr., 6-1, 245
CB Demetrius McCray, Appalachian State, Sr., 6-0, 185
DE Ben Obaseki, Indiana State, Sr., 6-3, 235
DE Blake Oliaro, San Diego, Jr., 6-5, 250
LB Jody Owens, Montana State, Sr., 6-0, 218
LB Keith Pough, Howard, Sr., 6-3, 235
FS Kejuan Riley, Alabama State, Sr., 6-0, 208
DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Sr., 6-2, 291
LB Alvin Scioneaux, Wofford, Sr., 6-2, 214
LB Tyler Starr, South Dakota, Jr., 6-5, 236
SS Darnell Taylor, Sam Houston State, Sr., 6-0, 190
CB B.W. Webb, William & Mary, Sr., 5-11, 175
CB Marcus Williams, North Dakota State, Jr., 5-11, 190
LB Craig Wilkins, Old Dominion, Sr., 6-2, 225

seantaylor
July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 AM
Swope is going to have an AP-espue year. Guy is up to 225 pounds and is going to murder Socon defenses this year with the extra attention being paid to McKinnon.

UMaineD
July 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Maines DE Mike Cole should be one of the juniors your talking about. Also Justin Perillo TE Junior from Maine. Both showed a lot this previous season.

Tribe4SF
July 2nd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Agree about B.W. Webb. His side is avoided by opponents, and his numbers since his freshman year are way down because of it. He broke out in 2009 with 8 INTs, and has only had three since.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/87298300736025707355.jpg

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
TE Colin Anderson at Furman might be the most uncoverable player in the SoCon, and possibly the FCS. Too big for a defensive back, too fast for a linebacker. Latest in a long line of great Furman TEs.

He may not be big enough for the NFL to get too interested, but he certainly keeps SoCon defensive coordinators up late at night.

SU DOG
July 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
There aren't many WRs in the FCS better than Kelsey Pope of Samford. Just ask Auburn.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Swope is going to have an AP-espue year. Guy is up to 225 pounds and is going to murder Socon defenses this year with the extra attention being paid to McKinnon.

I'm looking forward to it. GSU RBs have big years in this offense so it will be interesting to see the kind of numbers they put up.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Maines DE Mike Cole should be one of the juniors your talking about. Also Justin Perillo TE Junior from Maine. Both showed a lot this previous season.

Yes both of them are on my watch list of potential NFL guys for 2014.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
TE Colin Anderson at Furman might be the most uncoverable player in the SoCon, and possibly the FCS. Too big for a defensive back, too fast for a linebacker. Latest in a long line of great Furman TEs.

He may not be big enough for the NFL to get too interested, but he certainly keeps SoCon defensive coordinators up late at night.

The NFL is very interested. He's 6'4 1/4, 233 pounds and he runs very well. He needs to become a better blocker but like you said he is a matchup nightmare. He's like Mellette and Quick in that you just could not stop either of the three completely last year in the passing game.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
There aren't many WRs in the FCS better than Kelsey Pope of Samford. Just ask Auburn.

Pope is a very good one but this year is a loaded group. Pope is a guy who I don't have in the top 15 now but I think will be top 5 for sure next year. He's a good player. His problem is that Quick and Mellette both were in the league last year and I think people overlook JJ Wilcox of GSU so the SoCon is loaded at WR. There are guys I would put 2nd or 3rd team who would be first team easily in other leagues.

The others had been dominant all year long and Pope really came on late after having the five catches for one yard against Elon. Starting with ASU he started to show he is going to be a very good one. I expect him to be a preseason All-American for next year.

In fact, as of right now I have him rated as the #2 junior WR in FCS.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
The NFL is very interested. He's 6'4 1/4, 233 pounds and he runs very well. He needs to become a better blocker but like you said he is a matchup nightmare. He's like Mellette and Quick in that you just could not stop either of the three completely last year in the passing game.

I've noted this a few times on Furman's forum, but Anderson's value was no more evident than in the game against Wofford.

Furman had a late lead in a close game with the ball. The Paladins churned clock and field by running two plays over and over (simple pitch and power runs). Despite giving up a bunch of ground, Wofford kept both of their safeties back. The only reason I could come up with was because they were trying to keep Furman from running their play action pass to Anderson down the seam, which had been a scoring play countless times during the season. It was not until the game was nearly over that Wofford loaded the box to stop the run.

That fourth quarter really impressed me and showed me the amount of respect there was for Anderson, even when he wasn't catching a pass. He allows Furman so much flexibility in their game plan, because teams have to respect his ability to run right past them.

katstrapper
July 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Darnell Taylor is definitely someone I think should be in consideration for Buck Buchanan Award if he has a repeat performance of last year. This kid can flat out play.

Eaglesrus
July 2nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
GA Southern DE Dion Dubose was out last season+ due to pretty much getting a knee destroyed at Western Carolina in 2010. At the time word was that we shouldn't expect to ever see him on the field again. Well, he's back, and from all acounts from those who have seen him in the Spring and during summer workouts he's back with a vengeance, no hesitation related to the injury whatsoever. He was a good one before the injury, so I'm hopeful he'll be turning some heads pretty early in the season.

EKU-n-GSU
July 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
GA Southern DE Dion Dubose was out last season+ due to pretty much getting a knee destroyed at Western Carolina in 2010. At the time word was that we shouldn't expect to ever see him on the field again. Well, he's back, and from all acounts from those who have seen him in the Spring and during summer workouts he's back with a vengeance, no hesitation related to the injury whatsoever. He was a good one before the injury, so I'm hopefully he'll be turning some heads pretty early in the season.

I'm hearing pretty much the same thing from my son...DD is very driven this year and should be an invaluable asset on defense.

TheRevSFA
July 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Darnell Taylor is definitely someone I think should be in consideration for Buck Buchanan Award if he has a repeat performance of last year. This kid can flat out play.

I agree. That kid is something

bjtheflamesfan
July 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have been too busy to post on message boards but have been watching a lot of tape.

Here are some players nobody seems to be talking about but they are legit guys to watch.

Just a note, IMO Elon WR Aaron Mellette is the best player in FCS. What he did vs Vandy, App State, and GSU was simply impressive. He is a future top 100 draft pick.

The best QB in FCS and it isn't even close IMO is Brad Sorensen of Southern Utah. He's a player. Big arm. Good size. Just needs to work on turnovers at times.

W&M CB B.W. Webb is another stud that people need to rate higher. If he were 6'0 or 6'1 he would be a top 50 draft pick.

A QB that people seem to be underrating is SELU CB Robert Alford. He is getting legit 4th-6th round grades from NFL folks and he has skills. Probably a 4.48 40 guy. He's like 5'11 186 and has long arms. I like him.

The most underrated RB and he's #3 on my board is NAU's Zach Bauman. Bauman is a stud, period. You can't argue his ability. Watch his highlight tape on Youtube if you can't get full games or don't get to see him in person.

I don't have Matt Evans as a top 20 player in FCS and he isn't even a top 3 LB in FCS IMO. I have Keith Pough, Jeremy Kimbrough, and Jody Owens ahead of him. He makes way too many tackles down the field and isn't overly fast or a major impact player. He's the 2nd most talented player on that defense, according to NFL scouts. They like the DT Jared Smith.

WR is a loaded class this year. Between the EWU trio, Rod Rumble, Spadola, Mellette, Tyrone Goard, Norman White, Xavier Boyce, Tyrone Walker, Gralyn Crawford, Shane Savage, and Cordell Roberson this is going to be a loaded year in FCS.

Word on the street is that if EWU QB Kyle Padron has a big year he will declare for the NFL Draft. He and Marcus Coker are two players high on my potential early entry watch list.

As for QBs outside of Sorensen I like Jeff Mathews, Casey Brockman, Kurt Hess, Taylor Heinicke, DeNarius McGhee, Matt Brown, Grant Enders, and Austin Sumner a lot. Those guys are all top tier QBs in FCS. I think 2 of them will play on Sundays for sure.

Terrance West, Tim Flanders, Bauman, Shakir Bell, Jordan Brown, Washaun Ealey, Coker, Jamaine Cooke, Miguel Maysonet, Andrew Pierce, Matt Denham, Mike Mayhew, Sam Ojuri, and Dae'Quan Scott are stud RBs. All of them are All-America caliber players.

My top TE is Colin Anderson of Furman. I do think there are about 5-7 good ones this year with 3 underclassmen who have a shot to be special for next year if they have a big year. Keep an eye on Richmond's Kevin Finney. The NFL likes him.

On the OL outside of Watford the NFL really likes Rogers Gaines, Terron Armstead, Terren Jones, YSU OG Lamar Mady, and Tenn St C Sherman Carter. Keep an eye on potential sleepers on the OL Mady, NDSU OT Billy Turner, SC State OG Sam Hammond, and Alabama A&M OT Jamaal Johnson-Webb.

For DE there are a lot of really good ones. I have about 8 or 9 as legit draftable or PFA types for this year and I have two juniors on my list for the NFL in 2014. Watch for Ben Obaseki, Willie Jefferson, Blake Oliaro, Frank Beltre, Joshua Williams, Jomarcus Savage, Joseph Lebeau, and Ross Brenneman. I like how Jarvis Wilson moves and runs. He's raw but could be an OLB in the NFL.

At DT the best is Brent Russell, it's not even close. Keep your eyes on Reid from Princeton and Burnette from ODU. Larsen at Southern Utah is solid and MSU's Zach Minter is a good one. UT Martin's Montori Hughes is loved by NFL scouts but his baggage has him outside of the draft on my board.

The top 10 LBs I have seen so far (in no order) are: Keith Pough, Craig Wilkins, Tyler Starr, Jody Owens, Alvin Scioneaux, Jeremy Kimbrough, Matt Evans, Clarence Bumpas, Wes Dothard, and Aaron Archie. Stephon Robertson of JMU is a junior who is a guy to watch.

Some potential stud underclassmen at LB outside of Bumpas, Dothard, Starr and Scioneaux are going to be Johnny Millard of Cal Poly, Todd Davis of Sac State, and Chad Hansen of Southern Utah. I also think that Ricky Irvin of SELU is not bad.

The top 10 CBs in no order are: BW Webb, Marcus Williams, Charles James, Demetrius McCray, Bookie Sneed, Robert Alford, Eriq Lewis, Jeremy Moore, and Dax Swanson.

Keep your eyes on potential breakout CBs in Ivan Toomer of Gardner-Webb, Courtney Bridgett of Hampton, and Derrick Murray of Furman.

My top safeties are Kejuan Riley, Malcolm Bronson, Jordan Dangerfield, Jamaal White, Jestin Love, Serge Kona, and Darnell Taylor. Some sleepers to watch are Furman's Mitch McGrath, JMU's Dean Marlowe, and Matt Hermanson of Montana.

Some kickers and punters to watch are Zach Brown, Sean Baner, Jonathan Plisco, Cass Couey, Jake Miller, and Patrick Murray.

Looking at my top overall rankings a few players rated fairly high I did not mention above here are Wofford's Eric Breitenstein, EKU's Patrick Ford, K Tyler Sievertsen of UNI, and Montana OT Danny Kistler.

Here are the 20 names I would put on the Payton and Buchanan lists:

WALTER PAYTON WATCH
RB Zach Bauman, Northern Arizona, Jr., 5-10, 200
RB Shakir Bell, Indiana State, Jr., 5-8, 185
FB Eric Breitenstein, Wofford, Sr., 5-11, 225
QB Casey Brockman, Murray State, Sr., 6-2, 215
RB Jordan Brown, Bryant, Sr., 5-9, 185
RB Marcus Coker, Stony Brook, Jr., 5-11, 230
RB Jamaine Cook, Youngstown State, Sr., 5-9, 205
RB Matt Denham, Eastern Kentucky, Sr., 5-11, 181
RB Washaun Ealey, Jacksonville State, Sr., 5-11, 215
WR Nicholas Edwards, Eastern Washington, Sr., 6-3, 200
RB Tim Flanders, Sam Houston State, Jr., 5-9, 210
QB Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion, Soph., 6-1, 190
QB Jeff Mathews, Cornell, Jr., 6-4, 210
QB DeNarius McGhee, Montana State, Jr., 5-11, 210
WR Aaron Mellette, Elon, Sr., 6-4, 212
RB Andrew Pierce, Delaware, Jr., 5-11, 200
WR Rodrick Rumble, Idaho State, Sr., 6-2, 201
QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah, Sr., 6-5, 225
WR Ryan Spadola, Lehigh, Sr., 6-3, 205
RB Terrance West, Towson, Soph., 5-11, 223

BUCK BUCHANAN BATTLE
LB Aaron Archie, Indiana State, Sr., 6-0, 235
LB Clarence Bumpas, Northern Colorado, Jr., 6-2, 244
LB Wes Dothard, Chattanooga, Jr., 6-1, 235
LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Sr., 6-0, 227
DE Willie Jefferson, Stephen F. Austin, Sr., 6-6, 235
LB Jeremy Kimbrough, Appalachian State, Sr., 5-11, 238
DE Joseph Lebeau, Jackson State, Sr., 6-1, 245
CB Demetrius McCray, Appalachian State, Sr., 6-0, 185
DE Ben Obaseki, Indiana State, Sr., 6-3, 235
DE Blake Oliaro, San Diego, Jr., 6-5, 250
LB Jody Owens, Montana State, Sr., 6-0, 218
LB Keith Pough, Howard, Sr., 6-3, 235
FS Kejuan Riley, Alabama State, Sr., 6-0, 208
DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Sr., 6-2, 291
LB Alvin Scioneaux, Wofford, Sr., 6-2, 214
LB Tyler Starr, South Dakota, Jr., 6-5, 236
SS Darnell Taylor, Sam Houston State, Sr., 6-0, 190
CB B.W. Webb, William & Mary, Sr., 5-11, 175
CB Marcus Williams, North Dakota State, Jr., 5-11, 190
LB Craig Wilkins, Old Dominion, Sr., 6-2, 225

Guy you ought to keep an eye on is Patrick Kelly out of Liberty. of his 8 career TDs, 5 have gone for 50 or more yards and averaged just under 15 yards per catch last season playing behind All-American Chris Summers.

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
NDSU Safety, Colten Heagle

blueballs
July 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
NDSU Safety, Colten Heagle

That's a dirty word in Statesboro... ;-)

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Lehigh RB Zach Barket could be in line for a huge year. He had a very solid 2011 season despite battling injuries much of the year. Lehigh should be a much more balanced team on offense this year with a run orientated QB in Colvin and Barket and Sherman at RB

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
That's a dirty word in Statesboro... ;-)

"Heagled"....the act of getting blown up, de-cleated, and/or crushed......"Dude, did you see that? Jaybo Shaw got Heagled" :D

Screamin_Eagle174
July 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hope that rumor about Padron isn't true. Where'd you hear it from? Also, what are your thoughts on CB TJ Lee III? I've noticed he's been getting a little press/accolades even though he didn't put up particularly special numbers last year. During the spring last year though I thought he was very talented and had a lot of potential. Seems like a natural ball hawk.

Houndawg
July 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Mycole Pruett will be one of, if not the, best TE in FCS this season. He would have been last season if not for the QB problem.

bojeta
July 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Personally, I think Broadous deserves more attention. Option QB with plenty of passing yards and only 1 int in 19 games!!

washingtonpost.com
College Football
Scoreboard | Standings | Teams | Leaders | Polls
Andre Broadous
Rating Yards TD
136.7 1235 9
Team: Cal Poly Mustangs Height: 6-0 Born: 9/4/1989
Position: QB Weight: 205 Hometown: Portland, OR
Class-Eligibility: GS-Sr

Career Passing Stats
Year Team G Cmp Att Comp % Yds Yd/A TDs Int Sacked Yds
2009 CalPly 3 0 0 - 0 - 0 0 0 0
2010 CalPly 5 41 64 64.1 510 8.0 4 0 5 39
2011 CalPly 11 101 170 59.4 1235 7.3 9 1 18 101
Career 19 142 234 60.7 1745 7.5 13 1 23 140

Career Rushing/Receiving Stats
Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs
2009 CalPly 3 9 8 0.9 0 0 0 - 0
2010 CalPly 5 87 305 3.5 3 0 0 - 0
2011 CalPly 11 204 646 3.2 18 1 8 8.0 0
Career 19 300 959 3.2 21 1 8 8.0 0

hidalgo
July 3rd, 2012, 12:15 AM
Duquesne Larry McCoy RB and Sean Patterson QB........when they play against ODU wont be a secret anymore.

NCAGGIE
July 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Mike Mayhew has had a fine career for us.
http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=204932032

cpalum
July 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Personally, I think Broadous deserves more attention. Option QB with plenty of passing yards and only 1 int in 19 games!!

washingtonpost.com
College Football
Scoreboard | Standings | Teams | Leaders | Polls
Andre Broadous
Rating Yards TD
136.7 1235 9
Team: Cal Poly Mustangs Height: 6-0 Born: 9/4/1989
Position: QB Weight: 205 Hometown: Portland, OR
Class-Eligibility: GS-Sr

Career Passing Stats
Year Team G Cmp Att Comp % Yds Yd/A TDs Int Sacked Yds
2009 CalPly 3 0 0 - 0 - 0 0 0 0
2010 CalPly 5 41 64 64.1 510 8.0 4 0 5 39
2011 CalPly 11 101 170 59.4 1235 7.3 9 1 18 101
Career 19 142 234 60.7 1745 7.5 13 1 23 140

Career Rushing/Receiving Stats
Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs
2009 CalPly 3 9 8 0.9 0 0 0 - 0
2010 CalPly 5 87 305 3.5 3 0 0 - 0
2011 CalPly 11 204 646 3.2 18 1 8 8.0 0
Career 19 300 959 3.2 21 1 8 8.0 0

Yep...I agree with you but honestly the reason is more about what I think he will do this year than what he has done over the past couple.

What most folks don't know is that Cal Poly should have played AB as the starter in 2010. Instead we heard lot of hoopla in 2010 about some bogus injury. The fact is that Walsh elected to go with Tony Smith as the senior even though Broadous clearly was the more talented QB....in my mind we lost a few games because of that decision....(UC Davis in particular). When Broadous did play in that year we were far more dynamic on offense. It is a shame that we did not see Broadous more often when Cal Poly still had Dominque Johnson at WR. If we had his numbers would be far better.

I think last year was a development year for the offense, Cal Poly had two freshman at WR (Castaneda and Tucker) both developed into solid players last year and I expect them to really shine this year. Broadous will have by far his best year statistically this year if everyone remains healthy.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hope that rumor about Padron isn't true. Where'd you hear it from? Also, what are your thoughts on CB TJ Lee III? I've noticed he's been getting a little press/accolades even though he didn't put up particularly special numbers last year. During the spring last year though I thought he was very talented and had a lot of potential. Seems like a natural ball hawk.

I heard it from his time at SMU that he might look to play just one year when he transfers down. Remember though, FBS transfers who produced in FBS usually only stick around one year when they do transfer down.

Lee is a good player but just too small for the NFL, IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mycole Pruett will be one of, if not the, best TE in FCS this season. He would have been last season if not for the QB problem.

You mean Pruitt right? Yes, he is a good one. I have him among my top TEs.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mike Mayhew has had a fine career for us.
http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=204932032

He's a good player! If he were bigger the NFL would really love him. He's a free agent on my preseason board.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Duquesne Larry McCoy RB and Sean Patterson QB........when they play against ODU wont be a secret anymore.

They aren't a secret. I have them both All-NEC. McCoy is a very good RB. This is just a stacked class. I almost hated ranking the RBs because there are so many good ones and being #15 this year would be like being #7 or #8 in many years. This is a very good group!

bojeta
July 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Yep...I agree with you but honestly the reason is more about what I think he will do this year than what he has done over the past couple.

What most folks don't know is that Cal Poly should have played AB as the starter in 2010. Instead we heard lot of hoopla in 2010 about some bogus injury. The fact is that Walsh elected to go with Tony Smith as the senior even though Broadous clearly was the more talented QB....in my mind we lost a few games because of that decision....(UC Davis in particular). When Broadous did play in that year we were far more dynamic on offense. It is a shame that we did not see Broadous more often when Cal Poly still had Dominque Johnson at WR. If we had his numbers would be far better.

I think last year was a development year for the offense, Cal Poly had two freshman at WR (Castaneda and Tucker) both developed into solid players last year and I expect them to really shine this year. Broadous will have by far his best year statistically this year if everyone remains healthy.

+1

Houndawg
July 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
You mean Pruitt right? Yes, he is a good one. I have him among my top TEs.

Yes, that's him. Also have another xfer RB from Iowa who will make everybody forget about Jewel Hampton if he runs like I saw in the spring game.

NCAGGIE
July 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
He's a good player! If he were bigger the NFL would really love him. He's a free agent on my preseason board.
Yep you are right, he will break the school rushing record if he avoids injury. He also seems to have good character and is a hard worker.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
I heard it from his time at SMU that he might look to play just one year when he transfers down. Remember though, FBS transfers who produced in FBS usually only stick around one year when they do transfer down.

Why did he go through the process of getting the Medical RS then to get the extra year back? Would he have enough resume to leave early for the NFL with 1.5 good seasons in FBS, one in FCS?

bjtheflamesfan
July 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Guy you ought to keep an eye on is Patrick Kelly out of Liberty. of his 8 career TDs, 5 have gone for 50 or more yards and averaged just under 15 yards per catch last season playing behind All-American Chris Summers.

No love for Kelly?

GATA
July 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM

Didn't you already **** Zeke Rozier up enough with your baseless predictions? I thought Robert Brown was the next AP too?

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
No love for Kelly?

I have him rated but not quite in the top 20 WRs. This is a very good group. Brian Quick was about the only highly rated WR on my list who graduated.

bjtheflamesfan
July 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
I have him rated but not quite in the top 20 WRs. This is a very good group. Brian Quick was about the only highly rated WR on my list who graduated.

Gotcha...PK definitely can be a gamebreaker. be interesting to see now that he is the one they are game planning for how he does.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Why did he go through the process of getting the Medical RS then to get the extra year back? Would he have enough resume to leave early for the NFL with 1.5 good seasons in FBS, one in FCS?

My guess is that he wouldn't want people to think he is definitely bolting. Like I said, he would need a big year to do it and would still want to see what his stock is with the NFL first, I'm sure. Just saying it's something that I've heard be tossed around. I don't know Padron though so maybe that's changed. I have heard Coker at Stony Brook might come out early, too. Both could be rumors. I definitely want to see what happens if both dominate this year.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
My guess is that he wouldn't want people to think he is definitely bolting. Like I said, he would need a big year to do it and would still want to see what his stock is with the NFL first, I'm sure. Just saying it's something that I've heard be tossed around. I don't know Padron though so maybe that's changed. I have heard Coker at Stony Brook might come out early, too. Both could be rumors. I definitely want to see what happens if both dominate this year.

Gotcha, thanks. If he did have a Payton or Championship year, where would you project him? Are his past injuries a concern?

hidalgo
July 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM
smallcollege football fan: re Duquesne rb McCoy and qb Patterson....good to hear where can I see your list? thanks

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Bringing this back because the NDSU roster has been updated. :D I'm not sure if his name has been floated over here or not, but watch for RB #23 John Crockett....coming in a bit hyped up (had trouble with some academics), but he is a freak athlete...been looking forward to seeing him on the field since he was recruited.

Sycamore51
July 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Indiana St has a kid, Myles Walker, that is a 6'8 250lb d lineman that could be a stud. He was all state in hs out of Texas. Played in the army all-American bowl too. He started on our basketball team the past few years, but graduated. He's now in grad school and playing football this year for the syc's. I'm sure he's rusty, but he's athletic as hell and could help out on the line with big Ben. He has the potential to be a beast

Bam
July 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM
For EKU---- I will mention WR Tyrone Goard (Phil Steele likes him) & TE Matt Lengel ( 6' 7 Beast)

katstrapper
July 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
SmalCollegeFBFan,

What about these guys from SHSU..... Where are they grading?

OL Kaleb Hopson .. 6-6, 300 ... Has started 35 games as LT for the Bearkats and been a very solid player for the Kat OL.

DT JT Cleveland .. 6-0, 290 .. Probably a little small for NFL, but this guy can play. Very disruptive in the middle and has a nose for the ball.

DB Darnell Taylor .. 6-0, 195 .. Getting a lot of attention across the country. Definitely a physical player in the secondary.

smallcollegefbfan
July 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM
SmalCollegeFBFan,

What about these guys from SHSU..... Where are they grading?

OL Kaleb Hopson .. 6-6, 300 ... Has started 35 games as LT for the Bearkats and been a very solid player for the Kat OL.

DT JT Cleveland .. 6-0, 290 .. Probably a little small for NFL, but this guy can play. Very disruptive in the middle and has a nose for the ball.

DB Darnell Taylor .. 6-0, 195 .. Getting a lot of attention across the country. Definitely a physical player in the secondary.

Scouts like Taylor and Swanson. Cleveland is considered too small. Hopson hasn't gotten much print.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Many have talked about Spadola and Barket on Lehigh's offense, but 6'2 290 lb DT Sajjad Chagani kind of flies below the radar compared to those guys and could even get NFL looks with a strong year, IMO.

Apphole
July 31st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Brandon Grier is really under ratted IMO. Mainly because Kimbrough, his fellow linebacker and good friend, eclipses him. The media tends to avoid harping on two players of the same position and on the same team. He's bigger and faster then Kimbrough, but I suppose his football IQ isn't to Jeremy's level. Together the two are unstoppable.

UNH72Plus
July 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
Hard to believe anyone wouldn't have Matt Evans in the top three at linebacker. Last year, during a schedule that included an FBS team (Toledo) and five FCS playoff teams, he had 165 total tackles (86 solo), three interceptions (two for TDs), two sacks, three forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in quickness.

smallcollegefbfan
July 31st, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hard to believe anyone wouldn't have Matt Evans in the top three at linebacker. Last year, during a schedule that included an FBS team (Toledo) and five FCS playoff teams, he had 165 total tackles (86 solo), three interceptions (two for TDs), two sacks, three forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in quickness.

My problem with Evans is that he doesn't make a lot of plays near the backfield. Most of his tackles are down field and to be honest they gave up a lot of points on defense so he had to run everywhere and was the only good one outside of Beranger and McNally. Coaches I have talked to say McNally was the best player on that defense and most CAA coaches believe Evans is the 2nd or 3rd best LB in the CAA, which shows to be true because they didn't pick Evans as CAA DEF POY but the media (who mostly just sees stats) picked him as the Buck Buchanan winner. I think Kimbrough and Pough are both better than him and I would probably put Stephon Robertson above him as well.

bjtheflamesfan
July 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
I know you dont talk much about kick returners but a guy I think you need to keep an eye on is Kevin Fogg. He led the nation in kick return TDs last year (only player in the country with 3) and kick return average (33.52 yards per return). He is someone who can give Liberty an instant advantage from the word go. He also has proven to be a solid defensive back as well.

UNH72Plus
August 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
My problem with Evans is that he doesn't make a lot of plays near the backfield. Most of his tackles are down field and to be honest they gave up a lot of points on defense so he had to run everywhere and was the only good one outside of Beranger and McNally. Coaches I have talked to say McNally was the best player on that defense and most CAA coaches believe Evans is the 2nd or 3rd best LB in the CAA, which shows to be true because they didn't pick Evans as CAA DEF POY but the media (who mostly just sees stats) picked him as the Buck Buchanan winner. I think Kimbrough and Pough are both better than him and I would probably put Stephon Robertson above him as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree until the season starts, but just for the record, Pough wasn't POY last year is a relatively weak conference, and Kimbrough didn't even make the first team All So-Con team last year.

bojeta
August 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Andre Broadous finally got some press as he was placed on the College Football Performance Awards watch list.
http://collegefootballperformance.com/overall-awards/fcs-performers/

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Bringing this back because the NDSU roster has been updated. :D I'm not sure if his name has been floated over here or not, but watch for RB #23 John Crockett....coming in a bit hyped up (had trouble with some academics), but he is a freak athlete...been looking forward to seeing him on the field since he was recruited.

Bump.....:D

seantaylor
October 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Jimmy fking Dean

R.A.
October 7th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Keith Pough, Howard University "Bison"

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
need to mention Jackson, the App QB. had another big day against Elon, 4 td passes, a rushing td and 95 yds rushing. By far, the best QB in the SC

redspider
October 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I agree with your assessment of Kevin Finney. However, I think there are two more players on Richmond who you should keep an eye out for. Not this draft class but next year I would say keep an eye out on the 260 pound DL Kerry Wynn. He had an impressive performance yesterday against Villanova and has had a great season.

As far as this year you can't talk about draft prospects from FCS without mentioning Cooper Taylor. He actually was added to the Buck Buchanan watch list (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_10_3_2012.htm). Your list needs to add the new players. He has had a monster season after transferring from Georgia Tech. He had two interceptions versus VMI with a cast on one hand. I would be surprised if no NFL team picked him up.

BisonFan02
April 16th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Bump....like the recruiting talk, might be fun to look back.

BisonFan02
April 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM

Shameless self promotion, but I posted this on 7/30 about Crockett being someone to watch...it panned out well for the Bison. :D (looks like I already bumped this thread previously as well...haha)