PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely To Start I-AA Football?

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Here's a list of the last ten schools we've discussed in terms of adding football. In some cases, these schools would be bringing back football. In others, they would be kicking off for the first time.

Thoughts on the chances of each individual school?

East Tennessee State
George Mason
Lamar
UT-Arlington
UT San Antonio
A&M-Corpus Christi
Wichita State
Utah Valley State
UNC Wilmington
Xavier

BearsCountry
June 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I think Wichita State has the best shot, even though Texas A&M-Corpus Christi or one of the other Southland schools will have a good shot as well.

dbackjon
June 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I voted ETSU, George Mason, TAM-CC and UT-A.

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thoughts on the chances of each individual school?

East Tennessee State: Seems most likely. ETSU has some strategic decisions ahead of them and football has to play a part in it.

George Mason: Not anytime soon. Amazing that the school was one vote short in 1998 of trustee approval for 63 scholarships and it still isn't back on the school's radar. Probably won't make a serious effort until the CAA puts a "football or face realignment" message to its I-AAA schools.

Lamar: Perpetually on hold.

UT-Arlington: See Lamar.

UT San Antonio: Maybe within ten years.

A&M-Corpus Christi: See UTSA.

Wichita State: Seems to be more fan-driven than Unviersity driven. Not optimistic.

Utah Valley State: Along with ETSU, I voted for the Valley. It's the kind of school who really wants to move up the ladder and football would fit that.

UNC Wilmington: Nothing for a while, if ever.

Xavier: Not a compelling reason for the school to move at this point, short of the Pioneer or the A-10 forming an entirely new conference (after the CAA) with limited scholarships. Club football is a first step, though.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
How about Oral Roberts?

They've had a lot of success in bball and baseball last season. They're in a football rich area.

A game with Tulsa could be a big deal.

Would love to have them in the Great West, as well.

ETSU: I think they will bring it back. Not sure if they can build new or remodel the current place.

George Mason: Would compete with Maryland and the Redskins for Washington fans, but I could see it.

Lamar/UTArlington: already have facilities, just need money for scholarships and coaches.

UTSan Antonio: potentially a I-A program in the making. Play at the Alomodome. Would be like UT El Paso.

TAMU CC: Would fit perfect in the Southland with football. Is there enough support and money? I would actually throw UTPan American in this too. But is there even talk?

Wichita State: Wishful thinking by the Mayor if you're talking about I-A. I-AA is doable but the school doesn't want it. Maybe.

UVSC: I actually think that there is no way this will happen. Salt Lake already has: Utah, BYU, Utah State, and Weber State in its market. Not sure if there's room for UVSC.

UNCWilmington: I could see it, but is there money/support? Bball success has to get the alumni riled up for sure.

Xavier: I could see them in the Pioneer, but not scholarship ball.

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I would actually throw UTPan American in this too. But is there even talk?

UT Pan Am has no conference affiliation. They're behind UT-Arlington and UTSA in any phase of the game. Some nice facilities down in Edinburg, but their athletic budget is a mess, namely due to all the travel tied to their awful affiliation situation. I had a friend that got offered a job there. It was literally peanuts...

blukeys
June 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I voted ETSU, George Mason, TAM-CC and UT-A.

Personally, I see GMU's "interest" as a response to ODU's move in Va. They have to say they are doing "something" so they are looking at it. GMU has some real issues including the real estate costs in Alexandria Va.

But, from what I have read the president and administration are not behind a move to football.

Unless a huge alumni sentiment demands it, and I don't see this happening, GMU will be satisfied to be the darlings of the NCAA basketball tournament once every 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia State will have football before GMU!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SuperJon
June 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
No chance at all that Wilmington will.

Duck_Mav
June 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
2159UT Arlington got my vote, but it was entirely sentimental. Objectively, they have the best shot at fielding a team: They have the money, the facilities and the student interest. Lacking is leadership and commitment from the University President, and that's a killer.

chrisattsu
June 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I would love to see the Mavs field a football team. There is no reason why a major-sized Texas university shouldn't have a team.

Green Cookie Monster
June 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I would love to see the Mavs field a football team. There is no reason why a major-sized Texas university shouldn't have a team.

I completely agree, when a HS in Texas can draw 20,000, why can't a university in the 2nd largest market in Texas? Football is the King of Texas.

skinny_uncle
June 27th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I think any (or all) of the Texas schools are a possibilty.

GeauxLions94
June 28th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Put me down for the Texas schools and East Tennessee State. Could see a more rugged Southland with Lamar, UTA, UTSA (until it would move to I-A) and TAMU-CC.

Getting FB at ETSU makes sense. Don't know how support was in Johnson City, but weren' they ranked in the top 25 a couple of years before dropping the program?

Duck_Mav
July 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
When I attended Arlington in the 60s, Tarleton State and East Texas were our biggest rivals, but by the late 60s UTA thought it was going "big time." Big dream, small budget. (It seems like the only big name school we ever beat was TCU a couple of times.)
I enjoyed seeing the Texans play in Maverick Stadium a couple years ago, when you were getting new turf put in your home field.

mavfootballcomeback
September 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
uta has the market the student interest and the location is perfect and not to mention a stadium that needs repair but can hold its own!!! uta is a d-I school playing in D-I sports in basketball and baseball but since the congerence is D-II they are brought down. southland is a great conference but uta is in the market of a big time school. any information or links to old logos and football information would be greatly appreciated!!!!

GO MAVS!!!!!

ASU Kep
September 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Georgia State
Kennesaw State

nothingbutjsu
September 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Let me throw three more names out there:
Kennesaw State State
University of West Georgia
Presbyterain College (South Carolina)

BigSkyFan
September 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wow that one was hard to choose

GeauxColonels
September 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM
uta has the market the student interest and the location is perfect and not to mention a stadium that needs repair but can hold its own!!! uta is a d-I school playing in D-I sports in basketball and baseball but since the congerence is D-II they are brought down. southland is a great conference but uta is in the market of a big time school. any information or links to old logos and football information would be greatly appreciated!!!!

GO MAVS!!!!!
WHAT?!?!?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

blukeys
September 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have some links about schools actually looking into this. I know that in the last year both Georgia State and George Mason have begun to study this possibility with the authorization of studies being funded by the respective administrations.

I see Ga. State as being a better bet than GMU right now as it appears their admin is more favorable than GMU's. But GMU's admin. is getting pressure right now and Virginia is very I-AA football rich. With an Undergrad enrollment around 30,000+. GMU has a hard time justifying why they CAN'T support football. At GMU the fight in the end will come down to the BBAll superiorists v. football. There are groups at GMU who want it to be seen as a BBall school and don't want any competition.

Hansel
September 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM
most likely= somebody in texas :)

ChooChoo
September 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Here are the links for Georgia State's athletics and university (note our use of GSU, don't be fooled :smiley_wi ).
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwath/
http://www.gsu.edu/
Until recently there was a link to a poll concerning football. Our President has been very anti-football since his arrival in 1992. However, his stance either softened or posturing lessened his resistance with our inclusion into the CAA. Neither he or our AD will say anything pro-football, but have finally caved and given many of us what we wanted, a feasability study. The problem has been it was simple, amatuerish, and VERY poorly handled. Outside of posting it on the athletic site and e-mailing the link to students and faculty, NO effort was made to get the news of this study to the public. No alumni newsletter, e-mail, phone call, paper press, radio blurbs, TV reports. NOTHING. We are to believe we will be hearing by the end of the month how the study went. To me, all it will confirm is how our leaders are cowtowing to the State Board of Regents and other influential folks who like us being a state with two 1-As and Georgia Southern. Did I mention he is also the higheset paid "educator" in the state at 750K per (Wouldn't you walk the line)? Competition to the status quo is not welcome.
What they can't stop is growth and GSU has plenty of it.
Georgia State has greatly expanded it's footprint in downtown Atlanta the past decade. It is no longer a "commuter school".
It is the second largest university in a state with over 5 million people in the metro-Atlanta area alone.
The enrollment is at 40,000 with over 26,000 active on a daily basis.
The school has seen the average age drop consistantly, with over 2,500"traditional freshman" alone this fall.
There will be well over 5,000 to as many as 7,000 students in on-campus housing within 3 years.
It may not come with this administration, but its only a matter a of time before the influx of football minded, traditional students and alumni make football a reality.

ASU Kep
September 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Great info, ChooChoo, I'm from Atlanta and would really like to see them get a program going there. Georgia is such a fantastic football state I really think another I-AA would have little or no impact on UGA/GT/GSU...and of course, the other I-AA who shall remain unnamed.

ChooChoo
September 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I actually feel for that program. You'd think they would eventually break out of their slump, but instead they fall more and more into the abyss of public consciousness. They desperately need to reconsider being in Division I.
I've been lurking for many, many months with several questions pertaining to possible new 1-AA programs. From what I can tell, I think that South Dakota moving up would seem to be inevitable with the other 3 Dakotas all having done so or in the process. Is there anything that may keep that from happening?
Also, what's the biggest difference between Minnesota St.-Mankato and St.Cloud St.? Has Mankato considered or tried dropping the name designation and why is there only one Division 1 school in that state?

aust42
September 11th, 2006, 10:52 AM
George Mason will start a football program in 2009. I thought this was old news?

nothingbutjsu
September 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Football at Ga State would be good for the city of Atlanta but they have a real problem. Because it is a truely urban university, space to build a stadium would be an issue. I don't think they would draw enough fans to play at the GA Dome. The nearest open air stadium of any size is Lakewood Stadium. Lakewood is owned by the city of Atlanta and needs a lot of work. Plus it's not in a very good area.

GSU does have student housing, but it's 5 miles away from campus next to Ga Tech in the old Olympic Village.

ChooChoo
September 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Football at Ga State would be good for the city of Atlanta but they have a real problem. Because it is a truely urban university, space to build a stadium would be an issue. I don't think they would draw enough fans to play at the GA Dome. The nearest open air stadium of any size is Lakewood Stadium. Lakewood is owned by the city of Atlanta and needs a lot of work. Plus it's not in a very good area.

GSU does have student housing, but it's 5 miles away from campus next to Ga Tech in the old Olympic Village.

Actually, Herndon Stadium on the Morris Brown campus is sitting empty and its only 2 miles away. http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/georgia/atlanta_herndon.shtml
It seats around 15,000.
The GSU Village next to Tech is going away. We are currently building one of the the largest dorms in the counrty on Piedmont Rd. just three or so blocks from the formal campus. Known as University Commons, it will house over 2,000 students. Watch it being built.
http://74.246.165.42/webcam.htm
There is also University Lofts available as well as two other housing developments coming including a Greek Village. The current Village next to Tech will be for sell soon (Tech says they don't need it either).

Husky Alum
September 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
George Mason will start a football program in 2009. I thought this was old news?

That's news to everyone who competes with GMU in the CAA. Old Dominion is starting football in 2009, not George Mason.

nothingbutjsu
September 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Don't see Morris Brown giving up the stadium.

dbackjon
September 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Don't see Morris Brown giving up the stadium.

If they are not using it, why not lease it??

NSUDemon98
September 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM

GO MAVS!!!!!

Aside from the largest run-on sentence I have ever read, the SLC is not Division II and we certainly don't bring UTA down. You are starting to sound like Texas St. with that "the SLC brings us down" bull*****.

nothingbutjsu
September 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
The college is recovering from it's problems. They will probably restart the athletic program by 2010.

ASU Kep
September 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Actually, Herndon Stadium on the Morris Brown campus is sitting empty and its only 2 miles away. http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/georgia/atlanta_herndon.shtml
It seats around 15,000.
The GSU Village next to Tech is going away. We are currently building one of the the largest dorms in the counrty on Piedmont Rd. just three or so blocks from the formal campus. Known as University Commons, it will house over 2,000 students. Watch it being built.
http://74.246.165.42/webcam.htm
There is also University Lofts available as well as two other housing developments coming including a Greek Village. The current Village next to Tech will be for sell soon (Tech says they don't need it either).

That truly is a very impressive looking dorm. When I was home a few weeks ago me and a buddy of mine drove past it and (who goes to Ga State) were amazed (he communtes and had actually never even heard it was being built). It's good that you guys are fighting the "older, commuter school" impression, because thats a pretty bad rap. I actually got into GSU out of HS but decided not to go for those reasons.

ChooChoo
September 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM
The college is recovering from it's problems. They will probably restart the athletic program by 2010.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Brown_College
"As of the 2005-2006 school year, MBC has 66 students and nine professors. The school has $25 million in long-term debt, and both the alumni association and the African Methodist Episcopal Church have pledged to keep the school from closing. The school plans to have 107 students in the fall of 2006, the same number when the school opened in 1881.

On May 1, 2006, former MBC-president Dolores Cross pled guilty to fraud, namely embezzling millions of dollars in federal funds from the government and students."

I'm just saying, they could REALLY use the money. They have 100 students and no sports with a 15K seat stadium sitting empty. They don't have to sell the place but if they really want out of debt they should at least consider leasing that joint. Heck, they should be asking someone to lease it.

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Brown_College
"As of the 2005-2006 school year, MBC has 66 students and nine professors. The school has $25 million in long-term debt, and both the alumni association and the African Methodist Episcopal Church have pledged to keep the school from closing. The school plans to have 107 students in the fall of 2006, the same number when the school opened in 1881.

On May 1, 2006, former MBC-president Dolores Cross pled guilty to fraud, namely embezzling millions of dollars in federal funds from the government and students."

I'm just saying, they could REALLY use the money. They have 100 students and no sports with a 15K seat stadium sitting empty. They don't have to sell the place but if they really want out of debt they should at least consider leasing that joint. Heck, they should be asking someone to lease it.
Only 66 students now? Wow. 2010 for athletics seems optimistic.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Aside from the largest run-on sentence I have ever read, the SLC is not Division II and we certainly don't bring UTA down. You are starting to sound like Texas St. with that "the SLC brings us down" bull*****.

You should check out the Lamar fan site...

They have one fan already clamouring about hosting the Univ of Texas in Houston at Reliant Stadium once they get football back on board...

They are also saying McNeese's success has a direct correlation to Lamar ending football...

UNHknowledge
September 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I would just like to see a Wilmington vs. Coastal Carolina rivalry brew up in I-AA. But yea, I don't see it ever happening.

nothingbutjsu
September 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Didn't say Morris Brown would begin football in 2010. I said athletics. A basketball team consist of 10-15 students.

Needless to say, I don't feel MBC would be willing to lease or sale the stadium. Doesn't hurt to look into it.

Henny
September 12th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Any thoughts of Mt. Union moving up. I dont know what their stadium situation is, but for God sake, how many D-III titles can a team win ?

Dallas Demon
September 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM
You should check out the Lamar fan site...

They have one fan already clamouring about hosting the Univ of Texas in Houston at Reliant Stadium once they get football back on board...

They are also saying McNeese's success has a direct correlation to Lamar ending football...

McNeese always handily beat Lamar in football, so they are obviously off with their remarks.

Dallas Demon
September 12th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I completely agree, when a HS in Texas can draw 20,000, why can't a university in the 2nd largest market in Texas? Football is the King of Texas.

DFW is the largest market in Texas, fourth largest in the U.S. behind New York City, L.A., and Chicago.

UTA should have never dropped football. As a result, North Texas has really far surpassed UTA in many areas overall IMO.

SO ILLmatic
September 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM
George Mason should be able to start up a team after all of the bank they collected from making the Final Four.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM
George Mason should be able to start up a team after all of the bank they collected from making the Final Four.

Final Four payouts are not like the BCS--it's spread out over 6-7 years and some it is spread across other conference members in some cases. Nonetheless, GMU is the largest Division I school without football (enrollment=30,000) and it's overdue.

art vandelay
September 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM
the university of vermont should. but we will see if they ever do.

kicker
September 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM
someone mentioned kennesaw state. are they actually thinking of starting football? i know ksu is quickly growing. one thing i don't understand is why valdosta state doesn't consider moving up to 1-AA. i heard north alabama was giving it consideration.

ucdtim17
September 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Final Four payouts are not like the BCS--it's spread out over 6-7 years and some it is spread across other conference members in some cases. Nonetheless, GMU is the largest Division I school without football (enrollment=30,000) and it's overdue.

Long Beach State - 35,000
CSU Fullerton - 35,000
CSU Northridge - 33,000

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Latest from Lamar faithful:

"LU dropped football and Mcneese shoot to the top. UTSA, CC, and LU add football, Texas st, SFA, Mcneese and SHSU drop like a rock."

The TT's response:

"Last I checked, McNeese was still pretty good when Lamar had football. In fact, Lamar won a title in 1971 (never to win one again) and then McNeese won one in 1976, 1978, 1979 and 1980, representative of 40% of their SLC titles. Wasn't Lamar still around then? McNeese had apparently already shot to the top before Lamar dropped football.

While Lamar had football, McNeese was higher in the SLC standings than Lamar 14 of the 16 years they were in the conference together. Seems Lamar was the one to suffer when McNeese joined the conference.

The above facts would lead me to believe at this point that Lamar's addition would not impact the conference as much as a UTSA (which has a more rounded SLC athletic program than that of the one in Beaumont) or A&M-CC (which managed to have success as a Div I independent and is much more scenic than any SLC institution)."

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Long Beach State - 35,000
CSU Fullerton - 35,000
CSU Northridge - 33,000

Thanks for the update. I've heard that claim from GMU fans in the past, perhaps they meant the largest D-I school never to have had football.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
From the UTAMavericks.com fan board. I've requested a link if one is available, but very interesting to see if UTSA gets football up and running...

According to the latest San Antonio Business Journal-

Late last month, according to UTSA Athletic Directior Lynn Hickey, a feasibility study was delivered to UTSA President Richard Romo. That study outlines some options for launching a footbal program.
Hickey, who came to UTSA from football-hungry Texas A&M, has previously told the Business Journal: "We need football. I want football."

Another quote from the article-
"We anticipate that football will eventually be part of the equation." Buskirk says Rommo will ultimately decide the football issue. " But I think it's coming," he says.

Reed Rothchild
October 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Witchita State. Lots of Oil Money at that school and a town that are HUGE fans of all athletics programs.

MplsBison
October 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
UTSA is a no brainer.

Esp. in a town the size of SA with no NFL team, in a state like TX (and probably not going to be one for a while with the Saints staying in NO and the NFL owners not wanting to expand past 32).

They should be about doing what UT El Paso is doing in the Sun Bowl but in the Alamo dome.

Witchita State seems like a Gateway I-AA no brainer to me given their MVC ties. But I suppose the bball fans/brass will see it as a threat and put the kibosh on it. Too bad.

Mike Johnson
October 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM
UVSC: I actually think that there is no way this will happen. Salt Lake already has: Utah, BYU, Utah State, and Weber State in its market. Not sure if there's room for UVSC.

Last year the student body president at Utah Valley made a determined effort to start football, openly discussing plans as often as he could. In the end, the president of the college stated that football is definitely in Utah Valley's future, but that the timing is wrong now as he did not not want to jeopardize the transition to the NCAA (this is year five of seven) and the conversion to university status by adding additional commitments now.

The Provo-Orem area is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country and is approaching a half a million people. It has a rivalry with the Ogden-Clearfield metro area that has Weber State. As BYU more and more looks nationally for resources and students, the Utah Valley area is concentrating its support more and more on the public college in their area. I think football is four to five years away at Utah Valley, but I think it is coming. The response of the community and the students last year showed that they would want it.

There is also the other factor that Utah State received a warning letter for average attendance below the 15,000 requirement. This year, they are 6000 fans short of that average so far and will need to average 18,000 fans in each of their last two games. As that would take a miracle, they are likely to go to sanctions at the end of this year. One more year failing to average 15,000 at home in the next eight and the NCAA rules dictate that they will be reclassified I-AA. They have to be making contingency plans for that possibility. The various rules that have protected these teams (30,000-seat stadium rule--only need to certify once every four years; only need to count five home games and not all of them; play in a conference with six teams that qualify; or the option to chose all games and not just five home games) are all gone. Instead, count I-AA teams can be counted toward home scheduling and bowl qualification once per year paving the way to push some of the I-A teams down to I-AA for failing to keep up attendance. Utah could end up in a few years with 2 I-A , 4 I-AA, and 1 II teams.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think Wichita State's issue would be that they want to compete at the I-a level and not I-AA. I know they've already ruled out non-scholarship.

SDFan
October 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I honestly think UTSA could have shots at selling out the Dome. May sound rediculous, but did you grow up in San Antonio like i did?

Football in Texas is god. Imagine if they grabbed some local kids from like half hour away. Hell, whole towns would drive there to see a local kid play college. I've seen groups of a thousand drive to see the Longhorns.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I think Texas has enough I-AA teams, don't you? :D

Retro
October 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I honestly think UTSA could have shots at selling out the Dome. May sound rediculous, but did you grow up in San Antonio like i did?

Football in Texas is god. Imagine if they grabbed some local kids from like half hour away. Hell, whole towns would drive there to see a local kid play college. I've seen groups of a thousand drive to see the Longhorns.

Even if they do start football, they will not sell out the dome unless they play Texas, A&M or the Dallas Cowboys.. xidiotx

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think Texas has enough I-AA teams, don't you? :D

Only five...SFA, TxSt, SHSU, PVA&M and TxSo...

That's not too bad! Aren't there more in other states, namely on the east coast (bias)?

MplsBison
October 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I was thinking I-A for UTSA anyway. They'd be Southland initially, maybe partnering with TX St., and moving to I-A shortly after. I see them doing at least what UTEP does.

As far as UVSC goes:

I guess I don't understand the regions of the SLC area all that well.

First of all Logan isn't really part of the SLC area, is it? It's pretty close to Idaho. In fact, I could see something going on with Idaho State vs. Utah State (though USU is a true land grant where as ISU was a junior college).

Ogden is in the SLC to the north and Orem is in the SLC to the south.

If Utah and esp. BYU weren't so close, it would seem like a no brainer that Weber and UV should partner and ID St and UT St should partner.

In all honesty, Montana and Utah State should be in the opposite place as far as their positions in the BSC and WAC go. But now that USU is in the WAC, I think they'll fight tooth and nail to stay in the WAC and stay in I-A.

It'd be interesting to see if they would actually be knocked down to I-AA.

I think the Big Sky would take them in a second. But I don't think the NCAA would actually do that to a school. I think there would be lawsuits. Etc.

So Maybe Idaho State moves up? Who knows.

But Weber/UV does make sense for travel partners.

Then, as far as SUU goes, who knows. Maybe wait for Dixie State to move up to DI and partner with them.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Elon actually finally got around to starting it this season.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I've heard Kennesaw State University outside of atlanta is looking to start a 1-AA team soon. Alot of kids from ATL that can't get in anywhere go there, maybe thats a huge untapped pool of football superstarsxlolx xlolx xlolx

th0m
October 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM

That's not too bad! Aren't there more in other states, namely on the east coast (bias)?

Lowly VA already has more than 5. JMU, W&M, Richmond, Norfolk State, Hampton, VMI, Liberty. And ODU will be added to the family shortly.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM
If Mason tries to get a team together, I don't think they should form in the I-AA arena... but they could eventually match other I-AA VA schools in success after a good and steady build-up

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM
There is also the other factor that Utah State received a warning letter for average attendance below the 15,000 requirement. This year, they are 6000 fans short of that average so far and will need to average 18,000 fans in each of their last two games. As that would take a miracle, they are likely to go to sanctions at the end of this year. One more year failing to average 15,000 at home in the next eight and the NCAA rules dictate that they will be reclassified I-AA. They have to be making contingency plans for that possibility. The various rules that have protected these teams (30,000-seat stadium rule--only need to certify once every four years; only need to count five home games and not all of them; play in a conference with six teams that qualify; or the option to chose all games and not just five home games) are all gone. Instead, count I-AA teams can be counted toward home scheduling and bowl qualification once per year paving the way to push some of the I-A teams down to I-AA for failing to keep up attendance. Utah could end up in a few years with 2 I-A , 4 I-AA, and 1 II teams.

Well, the GWFC could use a 6th member, and that would make a nice rival for SUU! :hurray:

PMB4Life
October 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I scanned through this thread... this got me thinking about Boston University. What's the deal with them? Any new interest?

BRING BACK TERRIER FOOTBALL! THIS DOG AIN'T DEAD!:D

CSU BUCS
October 17th, 2006, 06:05 PM

They're six in South Carolina.

Seven next year when PC moves up.

JDC325
October 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Georgia State
Kennesaw State

Ditto and dont forget West GA and Valdosta could basically move up at anytime.

nothingbutjsu
October 18th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I look for West GA too soon. But they need to get much better before they make the jump to D1-AA. I've seen them play twice in person and twice on TV this year. They are bad. UWG needs a coaching change.

Cocky
October 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I've heard Kennesaw State University outside of atlanta is looking to start a 1-AA team soon. Alot of kids from ATL that can't get in anywhere go there, maybe thats a huge untapped pool of football superstarsxlolx xlolx xlolx

Must be several students wanting to go to KSU. Their enrollment is 3rd to UGA and GT and their standards are not much less than the other state schools.

Dabnus Brickey
October 19th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Someone mentioned Presbyterian in South Carolina earlier, they're going to be in the Big South soon and play Div. I-AA.

MarkCCU
October 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
i remember hearing some nose about UNC-W gaining a football team in the coming years....haven't heard anyhthing in a year or so