PDA

View Full Version : PBS out, ESPN3 only for SOCON. Effective immediately

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jun/27/socon-can-be-seen-on-espn3-only-chattanooga/?sportscollege

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM
A surprising revelation considering Big Bird is the conference commissioner.

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2012/02/28/0427_ls_D06__Iamarino_2_col_t240.JPG?1151fa2e5d1f4 72822ac417764d7eb1b159e2f4c

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thank God. Talk about bush league. I will miss Bert and Ernie's sideline commentary though.

AppAlum2003
June 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
First telecast was bad.

No down and distance on the screen the entire game. No graphics at all for most of the game. Cameras stayed on QB for about 3 seconds AFTER passes thrown.

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM
First telecast was bad.

No down and distance on the screen the entire game. No graphics at all for most of the game. Cameras stayed on QB for about 3 seconds AFTER passes thrown.

I have the Wofford game from last year on DVD. At one point there was just a random shot of one part of the field during a break and you could here the two commentators just chatting about random stuff for a good 5 minutes.

asumike83
June 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
How am I going to follow the Antique Roadshow during football season now?! xpissedx

SpeedkingATL
June 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM
How am I going to follow the Antique Roadshow during football season now?! xpissedx

Who could forget that screwup! Did they just forget that they were suppose to televise a football game???? Some clown in the control room: "I'll switch to the game after I see how much that therre Dale Earnhart coke bottle is worth...I got one of dem".

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
So now I cant record the games. Damn.

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sJCf21jniSM/TVWxG2P8HWI/AAAAAAAAAss/y7A2LnGLGGQ/s1600/Big+Bird+sad.jpg

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2012/02/28/0427_ls_D06__Iamarino_2_col_t240.JPG?1151fa2e5d1f4 72822ac417764d7eb1b159e2f4c

Come on! Does no one see the striking resemblance here?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Overheard on Twitter?

@NotTomYeager: @NotCharlieCobb U Have No TV? LOLZ We have NBCSN gamez every week
@NotCharlieCobb: @NotTomYeager Nobody wants us FBS, SoCon sux, legggooo
@NotTomYeager: Press conference called for 12:30 tomorrow announcing exciting new CAA changes

asumike83
June 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sJCf21jniSM/TVWxG2P8HWI/AAAAAAAAAss/y7A2LnGLGGQ/s1600/Big+Bird+sad.jpg

Come on! Does no one see the striking resemblance here?

I repped you on the first one! I think the contract must have been canceled due to a conflict of interest.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
This is stupid, last year the Socon tries to sell this as some kind of big success, and some people bought it, and thought it was great that we had a TV deal, over the air, and free. We went through a load of crap with the different channels, not knowing which of multiple channels it would be on, then we got antiques roadshow instead of a game, we got camera men that bit on every. single. fake. The Qb would throw the ball, and the camera would be zoomed in so close you could never see the catch on the other end. The cameraman must also been in withdrawal, he sure shook like it. We got these foo foo theater crap commercials, and they'd rejoin the game after commercial break, and you'd have missed 2-3 plays!

When do the Presidents and ADs lose confidence in Imarino?

By the way, PBS and the Socon signed a 3 year deal, did both agree to end it, or is the Socon losing schools, enabling PBS to drop it by itself?

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
You know that PBS doesn't have an in house camera crew for the games. The schools usually contract out for the production staff. The same companies have probably been used for the past 10 years at each school regardless of channel affiliation.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
You know that PBS doesn't have an in house camera crew for the games. The schools usually contract out for the production staff. The same companies have probably been used for the past 10 years at each school regardless of channel affiliation.

The Socon provided the production crew, not the individual schools.

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The Soon contracted the on screen talent, but the cameras and operators were mostly done through the schools. I know because people in my production class were working some of the GSU games. Regardless, the people working together equipment didn't come from PBS, so blaming them for bad camera work doesn't make sense.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM
The Soon contracted the on screen talent, but the cameras and operators were mostly done through the schools. I know because people in my production class were working some of the GSU games. Regardless, the people working together equipment didn't come from PBS, so blaming them for bad camera work doesn't make sense.

Read my post, I didnt exclude either party, Socon or PBS, from my criticism.

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I just don't think this is as much of a blow as some are making it out to be. The SoCon dropped the PBS deal because Chatty and Samford weren't getting equal coverage in their states. The conference expanded the ESPN3 deal to compensate. You can still see the games and some people are probably glad to be away from public TV.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I hated the deal, Id rather pay the $200,000 and have the SportSouth deal, that was available in 9 million homes. Losing PBS takes us out of 11 million homes. Many providers dont even allow ESPN3.

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I hated the deal, Id rather pay the $200,000 and have the SportSouth deal, that was available in 9 million homes. Losing PBS takes us out of 11 million homes. Many providers dont even allow ESPN3.

Any evidence that any other providers except out in Montana didn't pony up for it?

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I didn't think the PBS deal was bad from the commissioner's point of view. He found a way to save money while keeping us on TV. When facing tough financial decisions, it is hard to find a real fault in what he was trying to do.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Any evidence that any other providers except out in Montana didn't pony up for it?

Many providers dont carry ESPN3 because streaming video takes up so much data space, and slows service. Just like cell phone data plans. Oh, and they dont have to sell the rights to local carriers for broadcast, ESPN can block out whomever.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Was a stupid idea to put the games on PBS. As if anyone out there says "time for some relaxation...let me check PBS to see if there's a game on".

ESPN3 is more easily accessible on the net than a lot of backwater stations that the SoCon gets, anyways.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I didn't think the PBS deal was bad from the commissioner's point of view. He found a way to save money while keeping us on TV. When facing tough financial decisions, it is hard to find a real fault in what he was trying to do.

Did quite a bit of arguing on that point last year when Glass was bitching about it. I can see being unhappy with the change but the fact of the matter is that the conference commissioner works for the school presidents, they don't do this **** in a vacuum and force on schools.

I also suggested if those bitching were so offended by the deal the SoCon needed to make to save money that they put together the financial package to keep things as they were. Never saw any sort of activity on that either. Yet here is Glass Onion once again saying he would gladly paid $200,000 to keep it on Sports South or whatever it was. I wonder why he didn't do that?

He must still be talking about someone else paying the tab? He must still be giving financial advice to the people making the decisions on what is fiscally responsible for them?

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Did quite a bit of arguing on that point last year when Glass was bitching about it. I can see being unhappy with the change but the fact of the matter is that the conference commissioner works for the school presidents, they don't do this **** in a vacuum and force on schools.

I also suggested if those bitching were so offended by the deal the SoCon needed to make to save money that they put together the financial package to keep things as they were. Never saw any sort of activity on that either. Yet here is Glass Onion once again saying he would gladly paid $200,000 to keep it on Sports South or whatever it was. I wonder why he didn't do that?

He must still be talking about someone else paying the tab? He must still be giving financial advice to the people making the decisions on what is fiscally responsible for them?

Gee, I didnt see individuals in the CAA ponying up for their TV deal, their Commish actually lobbied and negotiated. Thats the commish's job, to lobby BOTH the Presidents, AND the companies for whats best for the conference. Apparently I was right last year about it being a horrible deal, after all, the 3 year contract lasted all of 1 year, unless Ursus thinks thats a clear sign of success, but in my opinion, his head is so far up his *** his tonsils are blocking his view.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Was a stupid idea to put the games on PBS. As if anyone out there says "time for some relaxation...let me check PBS to see if there's a game on".

ESPN3 is more easily accessible on the net than a lot of backwater stations that the SoCon gets, anyways.

I still think the winner in that deal was Georgia Southern. I've noted this before, but watching the Furman/GSU game this season was like watching a four hour commercial for Georgia Southern University. They interviewed virtually everyone on the sideline with a blue shirt on.

hapapp
June 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM

My provider (Century Link) in SW VA doesn't offer ESPN3. You would be surprised how many don't provide it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Gee, I didnt see individuals in the CAA ponying up for their TV deal, their Commish actually lobbied and negotiated. Thats the commish's job, to lobby BOTH the Presidents, AND the companies for whats best for the conference. Apparently I was right last year about it being a horrible deal, after all, the 3 year contract lasted all of 1 year, unless Ursus thinks thats a clear sign of success, but in my opinion, his head is so far up his *** his tonsils are blocking his view.
Trying to say things for me are ya? What I said was that it was a better deal for the conference than PAYING for coverage. So was it a great deal...no it wasn't, but it was better than the previous deal according to your school presidents and then the vessel with which they made the move...the conference commissioner.

You want to compare the CAA TV deal or even the BSC deal with what you have. I get that. The fact is that you apparently don't have the draw for TV that you think you have. Hell I think you have it too for that matter but it has not been shown in the deals you have presented to you.

You look for the easy people to blame in a situation so good for you I guess. PBS is blamed for the quality of what the schools have done as far as hiring production teams. The commissioner is blamed for decisions he could not have made without the school presidents saying "this is what we need to do" and so forth. I can't remember for sure but didn't someone post last year that this deal was done with a unanimous vote? That means App was on board.

Nobody ever said it was a great deal so try and get on track here. It was said that it was the best option available in the fiscal sense according to those that had fiduciary responsibility of the budget. You know what I'm talking about...the people that actually have skin in the game?

The Moody1
June 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I thought for sure they could get a TV deal with the Disney channel, because everything about this conference screams Mickey Mouse.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
It's worth asking - what's ESPN3's coverage in the states where there are SoCon schools? If even a part of App/GSU's region of influence doesn't carry it, this is an epic fail on top of an epic fail.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I thought for sure they could get a TV deal with the Disney channel, because everything about this conference screams Mickey Mouse.

Yeah, nothing shows more that App and maybe GSU are not nearly the draw that some think as far as TV than this sort of thing. Heck BSC members were bitching a month or so ago about UM or MSU being in every game Roots was broadcasting this year but the fact of the matter is they will all be getting money because of it. It's too bad that the SoCon doesn't have that available that the two top programs could draw in enough TV support that they could help lift the conference and themselves financially like that.

asumike83
June 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, nothing shows more that App and maybe GSU are not nearly the draw that some think as far as TV than this sort of thing. Heck BSC members were bitching a month or so ago about UM or MSU being in every game Roots was broadcasting this year but the fact of the matter is they will all be getting money because of it. It's too bad that the SoCon doesn't have that available that the two top programs could draw in enough TV support that they could help lift the conference and themselves financially like that.

To be fair, we both know it is not quite that simple. It is not just about how much you could draw in TV support but also the competition for that coverage. I think that Appalachian and Georgia Southern would get just as many viewers as Montana and Montana State. However, ASU/GSU compete against UNC, NCSU, UGA and GT among others for coverage in their states while the Montana schools have no other in-state competition. Being the only show in town is a big selling point for getting good TV coverage.

BR54Niner
June 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Amen! It's no wonder Charlotte had no interest in joining such a Mickey Mouse conference. Apparantly, not that many more people will be watching App St football on TV this year than Charlotte football.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
To be fair, we both know it is not quite that simple. It is not just about how much you could draw in TV support but also the competition for that coverage. I think that Appalachian and Georgia Southern would get just as many viewers as Montana and Montana State. However, ASU/GSU compete against UNC, NCSU, UGA and GT among others for coverage in their states while the Montana schools have no other in-state competition. Being the only show in town is a big selling point for getting good TV coverage.

Absolutely agree but it makes the point that we are what we are in spite of the overblown value that we've all seen put out by some groups in some fan bases.

You are not in that group mike, just to be clear here.xthumbsupx

asumike83
June 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Absolutely agree but it makes the point that we are what we are in spite of the overblown value that we've all seen put out by some groups in some fan bases.

You are not in that group mike, just to be clear here.xthumbsupx

I understand where you're coming from, trust me!

I do think it is a bit of a catch-22 for many of the top FCS programs in terms of TV coverage though. I believe that many of the top FCS schools (App, GSU, Delaware, JMU, Montana, NDSU, etc.) could draw just as many or more viewers than some of the non-BCS FBS schools out there if given consistent coverage/advertising on decent regional stations. However, most stations do not want to go out on a limb for the FCS conferences so we'll probably never know.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Trying to say things for me are ya? What I said was that it was a better deal for the conference than PAYING for coverage. So was it a great deal...no it wasn't, but it was better than the previous deal according to your school presidents and then the vessel with which they made the move...the conference commissioner.

You want to compare the CAA TV deal or even the BSC deal with what you have. I get that. The fact is that you apparently don't have the draw for TV that you think you have. Hell I think you have it too for that matter but it has not been shown in the deals you have presented to you.

You look for the easy people to blame in a situation so good for you I guess. PBS is blamed for the quality of what the schools have done as far as hiring production teams. The commissioner is blamed for decisions he could not have made without the school presidents saying "this is what we need to do" and so forth. I can't remember for sure but didn't someone post last year that this deal was done with a unanimous vote? That means App was on board.

Nobody ever said it was a great deal so try and get on track here. It was said that it was the best option available in the fiscal sense according to those that had fiduciary responsibility of the budget. You know what I'm talking about...the people that actually have skin in the game?

Paragraph by paragraph.

#1. Being a cheap-*** is not always the better deal. You get what you pay for, in this case, we got ****, cause we didnt pay ****. I dont think this is some new breaking philosophy.

#2. Hell, we think we do too. Thats why we bitch about it. We didnt sign a TV deal while App was in the middle of consecutive NCs, Nor after App beat Michigan, nor after Davidson and Steph Curry made the ncaa run. Who should have been in the pilot house getting that **** done? Me? No, the freakin' Commissioner!

#3.

a.) Nothing to do with "easy to blame." He's the freaking Commish! He is responsible for finding a direction for the conference, and selling it to the Presidents, and everyone else concerned.

b.) The schools DID NOT hire the production team.
"The league, along with CSE, will now produce each telecast and will also retain the rights. In addition, the league will have control over pregame, halftime and postgame content while both parties will have an equal share of the sponsor breaks."

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205180228&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Thats the league, NOT INDIVIDUAL SCHOOLS. Both parties, the League office, and PBS deserve criticism when they produce a piss poor product.

#4. Every FAN has skin in the game. How would you like it if Montan's games were only broadcast on ESPN3 and you couldnt get ANY of Montana's games because you dont get ESPN3, and they dont feel like selling the rights locally? Does writing a check every year to the school lighten those feelings? Hell no.

The fact is, YOU have no skin in the Socon TV game, so YOURE opinion means precisely ****. I and every Socon fan, booster, students, alumn, whatever, have skin in the game, because WE pay for representation. Taxes dont pay for North Carolina athletics, people like me do.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Every FAN has skin in the game. How would you like it if Montan's games were only broadcast on ESPN3 and you couldnt get ANY of Montana's games because you dont get ESPN3, and they dont feel like selling the rights locally?

xlolx

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/csj-classic-archives/2011-fcs-archive/120-espn-dont-mess-with-our-playoff-games

ESPN's TV rights to the FCS playoffs included a guarantee to televise one game in round one, two quarterfinal playoff games, both semifinal games, and the national championship game in January in Frisco, TX.

As a part of the agreement, ESPN owned the rights to all of the other games, too, and made a decision to broadcast it on their Internet-only streaming solution, ESPN3.

For some markets, this worked fine, as some cable companies pay to offer this service to their subscribers.

But in the state of Montana, only one, tiny cable company in the corner of the state offered ESPN3 to their subscribers, meaning that the throngs of people who could not get tickets to either game would be unable to watch the game at all.

Some Cat and Griz fans even set up a bonfire, torching ESPN signs to state their disapproval.

"I'm offended by ESPN's discrimination against Montana and I take it very personal," Bobcat fan Fred Thomas told KXLH in Helena, "because they're covering games today that are from the east coast and they should be more fair and equal throughout America in their coverage."

ASUMountaineer
June 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I just don't think this is as much of a blow as some are making it out to be. The SoCon dropped the PBS deal because Chatty and Samford weren't getting equal coverage in their states. The conference expanded the ESPN3 deal to compensate. You can still see the games and some people are probably glad to be away from public TV.

Was this a new revelation? Why did the SoCon not work this out before signing the deal? Incompetence, or did they overlook it? Both?

I honestly don't see how the SoCon presidents can have confidence in Iamarino.

SpiritCymbal
June 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
The SoCon is a f'ing joke these days....This is just another decision that's so absurd it would be funny if it wasn't so damn pathetic.

And anyone that thinks that last year and this year's SoCOn broadcast deal is a good thing is a f'ing moron. DENIAL is such an addictive drug.

Eaglesrus
June 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I still think the winner in that deal was Georgia Southern. I've noted this before, but watching the Furman/GSU game this season was like watching a four hour commercial for Georgia Southern University. They interviewed virtually everyone on the sideline with a blue shirt on.

As they should have.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Paragraph by paragraph.

#1. Being a cheap-*** is not always the better deal. You get what you pay for, in this case, we got ****, cause we didnt pay ****. I dont think this is some new breaking philosophy.

#2. Hell, we think we do too. Thats why we bitch about it. We didnt sign a TV deal while App was in the middle of consecutive NCs, Nor after App beat Michigan, nor after Davidson and Steph Curry made the ncaa run. Who should have been in the pilot house getting that **** done? Me? No, the freakin' Commissioner!

#3.

a.) Nothing to do with "easy to blame." He's the freaking Commish! He is responsible for finding a direction for the conference, and selling it to the Presidents, and everyone else concerned.

b.) The schools DID NOT hire the production team.
"The league, along with CSE, will now produce each telecast and will also retain the rights. In addition, the league will have control over pregame, halftime and postgame content while both parties will have an equal share of the sponsor breaks."

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205180228&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Thats the league, NOT INDIVIDUAL SCHOOLS. Both parties, the League office, and PBS deserve criticism when they produce a piss poor product.

#4. Every FAN has skin in the game. How would you like it if Montan's games were only broadcast on ESPN3 and you couldnt get ANY of Montana's games because you dont get ESPN3, and they dont feel like selling the rights locally? Does writing a check every year to the school lighten those feelings? Hell no.

The fact is, YOU have no skin in the Socon TV game, so YOURE opinion means precisely ****. I and every Socon fan, booster, students, alumn, whatever, have skin in the game, because WE pay for representation. Taxes dont pay for North Carolina athletics, people like me do.

Stop being a cheapskate then and start ponying up the money you are always talking about. You don't have any more skin in the game than I do. You want to see the games televised and so do I.

You like to keep saying "you get what you pay for".xlolx

You have it backwards slick. This is a case of getting paid what you are worth due to who wants to buy your product. I mean seriously what you are talking about is an infomercial.

PBS is broadcasting the product that the LEAGUE put together. Blaming PBS for biting on fakes is like blaming them because the camera work on the commercial that you put together for them was ****ty. The SoCon is led by ASU/GSU as far as football goes so your school should have a large part of what you are bitching about as far as watching...not PBS.

I've had my share of chuckles at some camera guys that have done Griz games and the fact that if they were the defense we were playing we'd have a 100 pts. at 1/2 time, but I've never arbitrarily went out and blamed NBC, CBS, PBS, or the Loch Ness for things our local station and probably our school put together.

As LFN said, when we had a chance of missing out on something we valued we did something about it. I even suggested that you do something long before that happened last year in the playoffs and it turned out that I wasn't full of **** on the matter. If it means enough to enough people then you can get it changed if you don't sit on your *** and just bitch about it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I understand where you're coming from, trust me!

I do think it is a bit of a catch-22 for many of the top FCS programs in terms of TV coverage though. I believe that many of the top FCS schools (App, GSU, Delaware, JMU, Montana, NDSU, etc.) could draw just as many or more viewers than some of the non-BCS FBS schools out there if given consistent coverage/advertising on decent regional stations. However, most stations do not want to go out on a limb for the FCS conferences so we'll probably never know.

I think we will know and probably sooner rather than later. It seems that ESPN is getting a little competition and the competition is starting small and aiming at FCS conferences as a toe dip into the College Football arena. At some point soon it's gonna be cheap enough that a school or conference could have it's own network on an internet basis and make money of of that anyway. A setup like Big Sky TV should be rolling around to other conferences in the near future I would think.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Stop being a cheapskate then and start ponying up the money you are always talking about. You don't have any more skin in the game than I do. You want to see the games televised and so do I.

You like to keep saying "you get what you pay for".xlolx

You have it backwards slick. This is a case of getting paid what you are worth due to who wants to buy your product. I mean seriously what you are talking about is an infomercial.

PBS is broadcasting the product that the LEAGUE put together. Blaming PBS for biting on fakes is like blaming them because the camera work on the commercial that you put together for them was ****ty. The SoCon is led by ASU/GSU as far as football goes so your school should have a large part of what you are bitching about as far as watching...not PBS.

I've had my share of chuckles at some camera guys that have done Griz games and the fact that if they were the defense we were playing we'd have a 100 pts. at 1/2 time, but I've never arbitrarily went out and blamed NBC, CBS, PBS, or the Loch Ness for things our local station and probably our school put together.

As LFN said, when we had a chance of missing out on something we valued we did something about it. I even suggested that you do something long before that happened last year in the playoffs and it turned out that I wasn't full of **** on the matter. If it means enough to enough people then you can get it changed if you don't sit on your *** and just bitch about it.

You are full of ****. You try to call me out on something in which you have no business, where it turned out my opinion was right? How stupid is that?

And YOU didnt do anything about the playoff crap. You wrote no check, you bitched about it on AGS just like we are, and enough people bitched, and SOMEONE ELSE wrote the check. Trying to pass that off as your accomplishment? How arrogant are you? I signed that petition too smart guy, I guess I can claim victory too? Good thing for Montana playoffs are a national issue, and not a single conference's issue.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
You are full of ****. You try to call me out on something in which you have no business, where it turned out my opinion was right? How stupid is that?

And YOU didnt do anything about the playoff crap. You wrote no check, you bitched about it on AGS just like we are, and enough people bitched, and SOMEONE ELSE wrote the check. Trying to pass that off as your accomplishment? How arrogant are you? I signed that petition too smart guy, I guess I can claim victory too? Good thing for Montana playoffs are a national issue, and not a single conference's issue.

Wow your really pissy about this huh? Whine all you want then.

To answer one of your questions though, I'm pretty ****in' arrogant.

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Was this a new revelation? Why did the SoCon not work this out before signing the deal? Incompetence, or did they overlook it? Both?

I honestly don't see how the SoCon presidents can have confidence in Iamarino.

When the deal was first announced, there were some concerns over Chatty and Samford not getting much coverage in their state. Iamarino said they would get them more coverage or find another deal. He kept his word and dropped the PBS deal.

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Here's our PBS sucks thread from the fall

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?87083-Samford-University-joined-the-SoCon-for-PBS-coverage...&highlight=pbs+SoCon

apaladin
June 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM
When the deal was first announced, there were some concerns over Chatty and Samford not getting much coverage in their state. Iamarino said they would get them more coverage or find another deal. He kept his word and dropped the PBS deal.

... and in turn gave everyone no coverage, LOL. Makes sense to me. I know USF/UTC and ECU/ASU Sept 1st and Furman/Clemson Sept 15th are on Fox Regional Networks and on ESPN3. Will these games count toward the 8 SoCon games promised?

ASUMountaineer
June 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Hmmm...I'll take your word for it. I don't remember them saying the deal would be dropped (what was the point of signing a 3-year deal then?). I still don't see how the SoCon presidents can have confidence in Iamarino.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wow your really pissy about this huh? Whine all you want then.

To answer one of your questions though, I'm pretty ****in' arrogant.

Nah, youre not, but this is the second time, a year apart, you've busted my balls on this. It was hard to defend then, and nearly impossible now.

Have a safe trip to Boone.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nah, youre not, but this is the second time, a year apart, you've busted my balls on this. It was hard to defend then, and nearly impossible now.

Have a safe trip to Boone.

The defense is simple. The conference Prez's, I think all of them from what I remember, agreed that not paying for coverage was better than paying to have it broadcast since the coverage was fairly limited in scope and even further limited with those outside the footprint that wanted it.

I love watching SoCon games and in particular App, GSU, Furman, Wofford because they are teams I've seen in person and follow and since they will be on ESPN3 I hope to have a hook up to watch as many as I can again this year. The beauty of it is that it can be rewatched on there if I am at another game. It's only my perspective but being to watch those games on a Sunday is gonna be heaven on earth for me.

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Welcome to our clubhouse, SoCon. You will find that the misery reigns deep here.

Signed,

The Missouri Valley Football Conference

asumike83
June 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
My thoughts are two-fold:

1) I don't really see it as much better or worse than the PBS deal. It will restrict some of the regional SoCon fans from watching if they cannot access ESPN3 but maybe that will actually get some of them to make it to a game one or two more than they would have before. It also makes these games available for some of our alumni and fans that live in other parts of the country who may not have previously been able to watch.

2) I wish they had been willing and able to keep the SportSouth deal. Higher quality production on a regional sports network that was familiar and easy to get flipped on in a sports bar. It was the best thing we've had going that I can remember as far as TV coverage.

It does not affect me much either way because I will be at all the home games and several road games, have ESPN3 access and pay for GoASU TV online. However, the lack of coverage is disappointing. I love the idea of a casual sports fan flipping through the channels on Saturday, coming across an Appalachian State game that is a back and forth affair, then deciding to stay tuned and watch. Unfortunately, that is not an option at this point.

Gringer1
June 27th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...I'll take your word for it. I don't remember them saying the deal would be dropped (what was the point of signing a 3-year deal then?). I still don't see how the SoCon presidents can have confidence in Iamarino.

"Iamarino told the Times Free Press last month that the SoCon wanted its games televised statewide in all five states within the league footprint. If that didn't happen, he said, the conference would move forward without a TV deal." It might seem nonsensical to give nobody coverage, but as the commissioner, he has to treat every school the same. If Chatty and Samford aren't getting the same in state coverage as the others, he has to do something about it.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
The defense is simple. The conference Prez's, I think all of them from what I remember, agreed that not paying for coverage was better than paying to have it broadcast since the coverage was fairly limited in scope and even further limited with those outside the footprint that wanted it.

I love watching SoCon games and in particular App, GSU, Furman, Wofford because they are teams I've seen in person and follow and since they will be on ESPN3 I hope to have a hook up to watch as many as I can again this year. The beauty of it is that it can be rewatched on there if I am at another game. It's only my perspective but being to watch those games on a Sunday is gonna be heaven on earth for me.

Throws me off, Ive got a library of recorded games, now I'll get to watch them, but they dissappear after 6 months never to be seen again. I actually just got a new system to burn the DVDs for Christmas. SOL now. I think Mike hit a point too, viewing parties at the bar are now out. Its frustrating.

SU DOG
June 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Just my personal opinion, but as a Samford Fan, I had no gripes about the way the deal turned out last year. It wasn't state-wide, but the SoCon games were picked up in B'ham by TV station MY-68. They also produced one on their own, the Samford- UTC Game. Now I'm NOT saying that I didn't like the SportSouth deal better, because I definitely did. I am saying, however, that I really don't think that Samford was slighted that much as it turned out.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Just my personal opinion, but as a Samford Fan, I had no gripes about the way the deal turned out last year. It wasn't state-wide, but the SoCon games were picked up in B'ham by TV station MY-68. They also produced one on their own, the Samford- UTC Game. Now I'm NOT saying that I didn't like the SportSouth deal better, because I definitely did. I am saying, however, that I really don't think that Samford was slighted that much as it turned out.

I don't think anyone was slighted. I think folks like to complain. Was it perfect? No. Most of our schools are far down the pecking order (even the big schools) when it comes to TV time on Saturdays. I've always taken the approach that Furman gets on TV a couple times a season, and I'm just happy to have the opportunity to watch them.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM
If it is true that the TV deal was pulled because some president (UTC's or Samford's) said that the broadcast situation with PBS distribution was unfair, how short-sighted is that if the net result is App State and/or Georgia Southern exiting stage right? It's almost as if he or she wants to push the self-destruct button on the SoCon.

Gringer1
June 28th, 2012, 12:00 AM
If it is true that the TV deal was pulled because some president (UTC's or Samford's) said that the broadcast situation with PBS distribution was unfair, how short-sighted is that if the net result is App State and/or Georgia Southern exiting stage right? It's almost as if he or she wants to push the self-destruct button on the SoCon.

I don't know how much the Samford or Chattanooga administrations were complaining, but I do know that Iamarino said either everybody got the same coverage or the deal would be changed.

seantaylor
June 28th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Iamdanmarino is related to Sammy Baker. This is a fking joke. Worst AD in America works for worst conference commissioner in America

eaglewraith
June 28th, 2012, 07:04 AM
2) I wish they had been willing and able to keep the SportSouth deal. Higher quality production on a regional sports network that was familiar and easy to get flipped on in a sports bar. It was the best thing we've had going that I can remember as far as TV coverage.

Actually, in terms of video quality, the PBS broadcasts were much better than the SportSouth broadcasts. Every SportSouth game I watched was in 4:3 SD, and I only watched them on the HD channel. They had to fill in the sides with those stupid bars. Every PBS game I watched was in high quality widescreen, some if not all in HD. The announcers weren't the greatest but they weren't that bad either. I wish they'd improved the graphics a little bit, and that first game with no down/distance or clock was pretty damn lame. They did learn from that mistake at least.

Oh yea, also no Sam Wyche. I really got tired of him saying we were holdng on every other play.

AppAlum2003
June 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM

He's just playing the role of Jack Kevorkian for the SoCon at this point. It's turned into a joke at this point.

chattownmocs
June 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM
The SOCON might not be the prettiest girl in town but she is the only one who wants App State. Oh wait, I forgot there was this really plain Jane up the street that called App State the other night. IDK, maybe the rest of us are just jealous though.

ASUMountaineer
June 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
"Iamarino told the Times Free Press last month that the SoCon wanted its games televised statewide in all five states within the league footprint. If that didn't happen, he said, the conference would move forward without a TV deal." It might seem nonsensical to give nobody coverage, but as the commissioner, he has to treat every school the same. If Chatty and Samford aren't getting the same in state coverage as the others, he has to do something about it.

What is the date of that quote, before or after the PBS deal was signed?

ASUMountaineer
June 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Actually, in terms of video quality, the PBS broadcasts were much better than the SportSouth broadcasts. Every SportSouth game I watched was in 4:3 SD, and I only watched them on the HD channel. They had to fill in the sides with those stupid bars. Every PBS game I watched was in high quality widescreen, some if not all in HD. The announcers weren't the greatest but they weren't that bad either. I wish they'd improved the graphics a little bit, and that first game with no down/distance or clock was pretty damn lame. They did learn from that mistake at least.

Oh yea, also no Sam Wyche. I really got tired of him saying we were holdng on every other play.

We either watched different games, or TWC didn't offer UNC-TV Explorer in HD because it was never in HD for me last year. The film crew couldn't follow the ball, several games there was no sound for long periods of time, and the video quality was very poor. Perhaps Georgia PBS is leaps and bounds over NC PBS (which wouldn't be necessarily surprising).

asumike83
June 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM

I was speaking more to the production quality in terms of camera work, replays, graphics, sound, etc. I have a PBS HD channel but unfortunately was not able to get any of the games in HD. Plus, although it does not have any effect on the quality of the broadcast, it is kind of nice to have your games played on a sports channel.

The Moody1
June 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Actually, in terms of video quality, the PBS broadcasts were much better than the SportSouth broadcasts. Every SportSouth game I watched was in 4:3 SD, and I only watched them on the HD channel.

The last season games were on SS they sere presented in Widescreen SD. No bars.