PDA

View Full Version : App State homer ranks Jamal Jackson as SOCON's top QB

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/users/30765-john-hooper

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I guess it should come as no surprise, but really are these App fans really this delusion? The guy is a mediocre talent.

AppAlum2003
June 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
You had me at "bleacherreport"

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
You suggest that green QB from Chatty be the #1? Or perhaps the new guy in Statesboro?

Go on....
http://www.buppietheblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mr-burns-picture.jpg

xpopcornx

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I guess it should come as no surprise, but really are these App fans really this delusion? The guy is a mediocre talent.

I'm assuming that in your completely unbiased opinion, Terrell Robinson should be the top-ranked QB? He threw for 336 yards last season, a sample size too small to make him the conference's top QB in my opinion.

GSU, Wofford, Furman and Samford are all bringing in new, unproven quarterbacks. Wilson threw for a ton of yards at Elon last year but threw 21 picks. Sullivan at WCU is certainly no better than Jackson and Dupree at The Citadel runs the option well but is tough to compare to a typical passer.

The QB position has very little proven talent in the SoCon this year and it's hard to make an argument for another QB over Jamal Jackson. He threw for 2,000 yards and 15 TDs, rushed for another 7 scores. What would your order be?

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Of course if Chattown thinks the best QB in the SoCon is a Moc, then it's not homerism, as we all know the FCS goes through Chatty for everything.

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Why do you hate App so much chattown? Is it the 30 year losing streak? Or perhaps the fact that you're the butt of many a joke from App fans?

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Anyone in their right mind would have Wilson and Robinson ahead of Jackson.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Robinson didn't prove that he should be tops in the SoCon. 330 yards?

HappyAppy
June 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
In the 7 games Jamal Jackson started, he averaged 300 yards a game (268 passing, 31 rushing) with 17 total TDs. He has never had a full offseason as the number one guy before this year, and now he has a legitimate offensive coordinator to replace the committee of fools from last year. He belongs at the top of the preseason rankings. It's amazing that you don't see the irony in calling App fans homers, and in your next breath saying that a guy with 330 yards should be ahead.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Robinson didn't prove that he should be tops in the SoCon. 330 yards?

Anyone who watched the 2 QBs would take Terrell Robinson above Jackson. Robinson was raw but clearly is a better talent with a much higher ceiling.

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Anyone who watched the 2 QBs would take Terrell Robinson above Jackson. Robinson was raw but clearly is a better talent with a much higher ceiling.

Considering DP played against Chatty, how many times, if any, did you watch JJ play? Was there not a Vols game on or something?

blueballs
June 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Having seen all of the QB's in question play, I would go with Jackson too heading into the season.

Check back with me in December...

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Wilson is a turnover machine. 21 INT's in unacceptable by anyone's standards. He threw multiple interceptions in 7 of Elon's 11 games and the only team to not pick him off at least once was DII Concord. Robinson was an unproven passer who has not yet shown he can throw the ball consistently. Potential is great but until he proves he is a better QB than Jamal Jackson, there is no relevant argument to put Robinson ahead of him. The guy has 330 career passing yards and you act like he is getting slighted by only being ranked the #2 QB in the conference preseason. Jackson has had single games with nearly that many passing yards.

HappyAppy
June 26th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Considering DP played against Chatty, how many times, if any, did you watch JJ play? Was there not a Vols game on or something?

I think you just caught Chattown talking out of his A** again, but that is really no surprise.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Assuming that person didn't watch the game against Furman when he went for 3 yards and 2 INT's, right?

Eaglesrus
June 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You suggest that green QB from Chatty be the #1? Or perhaps the new guy in Statesboro?

Go on....
http://www.buppietheblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mr-burns-picture.jpg

xpopcornx

Which new guy in Statesboro? going into the pre-season I'm truly convinced that not even our coaches are certain who will start for us in September.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Assuming that person didn't watch the game against Furman when he went for 3 yards and 2 INT's, right?
He only threw the ball 7 times. Terrell Robinson had a dreadful day but willed his team down the field for 6 when the game was on the line. Unfortunately for him the defense collapsed on the next drive.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
What did Jamal Jackson accomplish? He proved that Appalachian still had the talent to beat teams without talent. He proved he could hit wide open receivers on short routes. The guy made a play or 2 down the field but his lack of arm strength and willingness to takes sacks were glaring. You can talk about all of his great numbers but he turned the ball over quite a bit himself.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Do you know how much credibility you lose when you just throw made up stats out there? Terrell Robinson had a dreadful day but willed his team down the field for 6 when the game was on the line. Unfortunately for him the defense collapsed on the next drive.

3 yards. 3 yards passing is pathetic, even with 80 rushing and a 1 yard TD.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
3 yards. 3 yards passing is pathetic, even with 80 rushing and a 1 yard TD.

7 attempts reject.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Do you know how much credibility you lose when you just throw made up stats out there? Terrell Robinson had a dreadful day but willed his team down the field for 6 when the game was on the line. Unfortunately for him the defense collapsed on the next drive.

As much as it hurts to lose credibility with you, I did not make those stats up. He threw for 3 yards and 2 INT's against Furman. Yes, he got some yards on the ground. Nobody is questioning his ability as a runner. However, in order to be considered a good QB, throwing the ball is somewhat of a prerequisite.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM
7 attempts reject.

1 completion? well I guess I should say 3 completions, except 2 went to the Paladins....

SpeedkingATL
June 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Both Jackson and Robinson played behind rather poor o-lines last year and App had no running game or offensive game plan to speak of. With improvement in those areas, both could be pretty darn good, if not both will be inconsistant. Not a lot of experienced performers at the QB position in the SoCon.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
As much as it hurts to lose credibility with you, I did not make those stats up. He threw for 3 yards and 2 INT's against Furman. Yes, he got some yards on the ground. Nobody is questioning his ability as a runner. However, in order to be considered a good QB, throwing the ball is somewhat of a prerequisite.

He threw the ball 7 times. When you fail to mention that little detail you do in fact lose all credibilty. When you fail to bring up the fact that he was 26-36 for 333 yards 6 tds and 1 int in the other games and made several spectacular plays through the air you lose even more.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
1 completion? well I guess I should say 3 completions, except 2 went to the Paladins....

But he played in several other games.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
But he played in several other games.

As you stated. Over the entire season, he put up what Jeremy Moses (2010 Payton Award Winner) put up in one game. Hell, his replacement (Brady Attaway) did the same thing last year.

Robinson can run..but he hasn't thrown enough to say he's a top QB. That's what the argument is.

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
The guy made a play or 2 down the field but his lack of arm strength and willingness to takes sacks were glaring.

I never realized being willing to take sacks was a favorable quality for a QB....

I thought it was a bad thing to get sacked. No wonder I thought JJ should be #1.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
What did Jamal Jackson accomplish? He proved that Appalachian still had the talent to beat teams without talent. He proved he could hit wide open receivers on short routes. The guy made a play or 2 down the field but his lack of arm strength and willingness to takes sacks were glaring. You can talk about all of his great numbers but he turned the ball over quite a bit himself.

He put up good yards against Furman through the air when the rest of his offense completely abandoned him.

Jackson is plenty good enough. He is not Armanti Edwards, and unfortunately for him, that's the guy that he will have to live in the shadow of.

MSUBobcat
June 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Come on people. He was 27-43 for 336 yards 6 TD and 3 INT in several games. Maybe not overwhelming numbers, but as the obviously non-homer Chattown stated, he has much more potential than the others. And wouldn't we all rather be judged on what we possibly could do, instead of what we have done?

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM
As you stated. Over the entire season, he put up what Jeremy Moses (2010 Payton Award Winner) put up in one game. Hell, his replacement (Brady Attaway) did the same thing last year.

Robinson can run..but he hasn't thrown enough to say he's a top QB. That's what the argument is.

Well he didn't play the entire season so that is a weak argument. The argument is ridiculous. If we were asking who the best passer would be, the answer is unquestionably Wilson from Elon. He is a far better passer than Jackson. The question that needs to be asked of Robinson is "can he pass well enough" and the answer is yes. He doesn't have to be the best passer in the league to be the best QB.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
He threw the ball 7 times. When you fail to mention that little detail you do in fact lose all credibilty. When you fail to bring up the fact that he was 26-36 for 333 yards 6 tds and 1 int in the other games and made several spectacular plays through the air you lose even more.

Well then, in the interest of full disclosure, here is a side-by-side of what Jackson and Robinson did in 2011:

Robinson
Passing: 27-43 (62.8%), 336 yards, 6 TD, 3 INT, yards/attempt: 7.8, QB Rating: 97.5
Rushing: 90 rushes, 417 yards. 4.6 YPC, 5 TD

Jackson
Passing: 161-262 (61.5%), 2,001 yards, 15 TD, 8 INT, yards/attempt: 7.6, QB Rating: 138.4
Rushing: 89 rushes, 296 yards, 3.3 YPC, 7 TD

Jackson was sacked 11 times in 262 passing attempts. Robinson was sacked 8 times in 43 pass attempts.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Come on people. He was 27-43 for 336 yards 6 TD and 3 INT in several games. Maybe not overwhelming numbers, but as the obviously non-homer Chattown stated, he has much more potential than the others. And wouldn't we all rather be judged on what we possibly could do, instead of what we have done?

He has the potential to be very special. But he is already better than Jackson, he was better than him last year.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I personally think ranking the SoCon quarterbacks at this stage is ludicrous. Only three teams return their starting quarterback (Elon, App, and The Citadel).

Six teams are under new full time management. Several of those teams (like Furman, GSU, and UTC) won't know who their starter will be until summer practice. This article is ranking quarterbacks in the conference before the coaches even rank them on the depth chart.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
He has the potential to be very special. But he is already better than Jackson, he was better than him last year.

Jackson started most of the season. He threw for a measly 1700 more yards than Robinson. He had 1500 more yards of total offense. He threw for 9 more touchdowns. His team had a better record. His team had a better offense.

How is that not enough to justify a preseason ranking above Robinson?

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I personally think ranking the SoCon quarterbacks at this stage is ludicrous. Only three teams return their starting quarterback (Elon, App, and The Citadel).

Six teams are under new full time management. Several of those teams (like Furman, GSU, and UTC) won't know who their starter will be until summer practice. This article is ranking quarterbacks in the conference before the coaches even rank them on the depth chart.

The only thing more ludicrous is rating a new QB #1 when there was a more successful QB from a more successful team returning....

It's a Chattown thread, of course it's ridiculous.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Well then, in the interest of full disclosure, here is a side-by-side of what Jackson and Robinson did in 2011:

Robinson
Passing: 27-43 (62.8%), 336 yards, 6 TD, 3 INT, yards/attempt: 7.8, QB Rating: 97.5
Rushing: 90 rushes, 417 yards. 4.6 YPC, 5 TD

Jackson
Passing: 161-262 (61.5%), 2,001 yards, 15 TD, 8 INT, yards/attempt: 7.6, QB Rating: 138.4
Rushing: 89 rushes, 296 yards, 3.3 YPC, 7 TD

Jackson was sacked 11 times in 262 passing attempts. Robinson was sacked 8 times in 43 pass attempts. I though Jackson was the one with a willingness to take sacks?

Interesting formula for passer rating. Staring at the numbers I don't think they could possibly be right. And yes Jackson will fold and hide when he is under pressure. Some of Robinson "sacks" were on designed run and others were coverage sacks that he desperately tried to escape from often making several people miss. You can bring up these meaningless numbers all day long. I watched them both play, as did many other people who now football much better than you. And Robinson is head and shoulders above that guy in pure talent, and he played better than him a year ago.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Jackson started most of the season. He threw for a measly 1700 more yards than Robinson. He had 1500 more yards of total offense. He threw for 9 more touchdowns. His team had a better record. His team had a better offense.

His team didn't have a better record in the games that he started. He didn't lead his team on TD drives at nearly the same rate. Sorry for your poor argument.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 10:53 AM
His team didn't have a better record in the games that he started. He didn't lead his team on TD drives at nearly the same rate. Sorry for your poor argument.

Do you have a rate of TD drives as opposed to other QBs?

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
You can bring up these meaningless numbers all day long. I watched them both play, as did many other people who now football much better than you.

Thanks for the new sig!

chattanoogamocs
June 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Why do you hate App so much chattown? Is it the 30 year losing streak? Or perhaps the fact that you're the butt of many a joke from App fans?

These conversations always crack me up. Chattown can write one sentence and have 20 App fans all in a tizzy for a week. Chattown is playing you and you fall for it every time. Which begs the question, who is really the butt of the joke? Think about that one for a minute. :)

MSUBobcat
June 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Interesting formula for passer rating. Staring at the numbers I don't think they could possibly be right. And yes Jackson will fold and hide when he is under pressure. Some of Robinson "sacks" were on designed run and others were coverage sacks that he desperately tried to escape from often making several people miss. You can bring up these meaningless numbers all day long. I watched them both play, as did many other people who now football much better than you. And Robinson is head and shoulders above that guy in pure talent, and he played better than him a year ago.

In the interest of full disclosure, Chattown is right about the QB rating; Robinson is actually 160.5 not 97.5. Source - http://www.primecomputing.com/

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM
In the interest of full disclosure, Chattown is right about the QB rating; Robinson is actually 160.5 not 97.5. Source - http://www.primecomputing.com/

Last time I trust Yahoo! I honestly did think that seemed a bit low myself. They must be doing the NFL-style rating.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/195115

CID1990
June 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the new sig!

Chattown, you complete me. Best entertainment since Opie.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
And just to be clear, I would rate Robinson as the second best QB in the SoCon coming into the year, with Wilson third. I just don't think he's proven enough as a passer to be considered above Jackson at this point and Wilson has got to cut down on the turnovers. He could prove otherwise with a full season under center but not yet. I will also say that I do not consider Jackson an elite QB, he's just the best of a thin crop at the position after all that was lost due to graduation.

MSUBobcat
June 26th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Last time I trust Yahoo! I honestly did think that seemed a bit low myself. They must be doing the NFL-style rating.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/195115

Yes, it appears they used the NFL rating. Yahoo also shows Jackson as 91.5 in 2011.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Terrell Robinson drive summary

At Georgia Southern

TD
TD
End Half
INT
TD
TD

VS WCU

TD
FG
TD
punt
TD
punt
TD
Fumble
punt
TD
punt
punt
punt

At Elon

punt
TD
punt
punt
TD
TD
End half
punt
punt
TD
TD
End Half

Vs. Furman

punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
End half
Int
punt
INT
downs
TD
fumble

I won't include the Samford game because although Robinson played he was very limited and didn't have the reigns for even the majority of any drive

But as you can see even including the terrible Furman game he led the Mocs to TDs on 15 of 35 drives. Before the Furman game it was 14 of 24 drives. You can't just look at the stats. This guy can lead this team to pay dirt on a consistent basis.

cbarrier90
June 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM

At Georgia Southern

TD
TD
End Half
INT
TD
TD

VS WCU

TD
FG
TD
punt
TD
punt
TD
Fumble
punt
TD
punt
punt
punt

At Elon

punt
TD
punt
punt
TD
TD
End half
punt
punt
TD
TD
End Half

Vs. Furman

punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
End half
Int
punt
INT
downs
TD
fumble

I won't include the Samford game because although Robinson played he was very limited and didn't have the reigns for even the majority of any drive

But as you can see even including the terrible Furman game he led the Mocs to TDs on 15 of 35 drives. Before the Furman game it was 14 of 24 drives. You can't just look at the stats. This guy can lead this team to pay dirt on a consistent basis.

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/256791.jpg

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM

The Bleacher Report is about as credible as your predictions. Who gets upset by anything from BR?

14-12

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The Bleacher Report is about as credible as your predictions. Who gets upset by anything from BR?

14-12

I found it funny. The sad thing is that he is actually more realistic than the majority of your fan base.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
43% passing...is his hero Tebow? Congrats. HA!

Not sure if serious.

GlassOnion
June 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM

This guy can lead this team to pay dirt on a consistent basis.

I dont think many of us consider 42% "consistant." Nor 55th in the nation in scoring offense.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I dont think many of us consider 42% "consistant."

Not many of you know anything about football.

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Not sure if serious.

Of course not...I'm trying out the Chattown method.

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM

This is gold Jerry! Gold!

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/256791.jpg

Awesome. I'll to my part to make sure this meme goes viral.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM

"not many of you know much about driving," says the person going the wrong way on the interstate.

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
"not many of you know much about driving," says the person going the wrong way on the interstate.

Ah yes. The classic, "I'm at odds with everyone here, so everyone here must be wrong." Classic symptom of the DK affect

I diagnosed Chattown long ago, but this thread is just another example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'll say this much...if I was going to predict which QB will produce more offense this year between Robinson and JJ, it's not that difficult a pick. App's play-calling was horrendous and JJ still had a decent season. With a competent play-caller he'll be dangerous.

Also, while I guess it's only fair to put the three returning starters at the top, I wouldn't bet against McKinnon moving up this list as the season goes on. The guy's really nimble like Jayson Foster and is stronger. Should be a dangerous player.

Saint3333
June 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Just to clarify Jackson did not start until the 6th game of the season.

The fact that those two are considered in the top three tells me that this is the weakest preseason ranking the SoCon has seen in awhile. This is a knock on either as both have a ton of potential it just shows how depleted the QB position is headed into 2012.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Jamal does need to work on his decision-making and ability to make his reads quicker. He has the tendency to sit in the pocket a bit longer than you'd like to see and he needs to improve on looking off defenders and not staring down his receiver. Those are things most all young quarterbacks need to work on and I think he will improve. The physical tools are there. Anyone who thinks his arm strength is suspect has likely not seen him play before. Ask anyone who was at the Georgia Southern game about the 56-yard touchdown he threw to Brian Quick in stride at the beginning of the 2nd Quarter. He's got all the arm you need.

Here is my preseason SoCon QB rankings. Entirely too early but fun nonetheless:

1) Jamal Jackson - Appalachian
2) Terrell Robinson - Chattanooga
3) Thomas Wilson - Elon
4) Dakota Derrick - Furman
5) Ben Dupree - The Citadel
6) Jerick McKinnon - GSU
7) Brian Kass - Wofford
8) Eddie Sullivan - Western Carolina
9) Ben Neill - Samford

Some of these guys are not even solidified as starters and I made some of the decisions purely on reputation, practice reports or what I've heard from fans of the respective school. I'm sure things will change a lot throughout the year but it is just for fun and that's where I see it as of now. I think Dakota Derrick and Jerick McKinnon could both end up much higher by the end of the season.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Jamal does need to work on his decision-making and ability to make his reads quicker. He has the tendency to sit in the pocket a bit longer than you'd like to see and he needs to improve on looking off defenders and not staring down his receiver. Those are things most all young quarterbacks need to work on and I think he will improve. The physical tools are there. Anyone who thinks his arm strength is suspect has likely not seen him play before. Ask anyone who was at the Georgia Southern game about the 56-yard strike through the air he threw to Brian Quick in stride at the beginning of the 2nd Quarter. He's got all the arm you need.

Here is my preseason SoCon QB rankings. Entirely too early but fun nonetheless:

3) Thomas Wilson - Elon
6) Jerick McKinnon - GSU
7) Brian Kass - Wofford
9) Ben Neill - Samford

Some of these guys are not even solidified as starters and I made some of the decisions purely on reputation, practice reports or what I've heard from fans of the respective school. I'm sure things will change a lot throughout the year but it is just for fun and that's where I see it as of now. I think Dakota Derrick and Jerick McKinnon could both end up much higher by the end of the season.

Are you talking about the play at 2:45 here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I8c7uhlNBw&list=UUEkjuXtUX1OMy-SZl8-K8_w&index=5&feature=plcp

That is one of the main reason I said he has no arm strength. The guy rolls out, SETS HIS FEET, and throws the ball as hard as he can to get it 44 yards. Weak.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
That is one of the main reason I said he has no arm strength. The guy rolls out, SETS HIS FEET, and throws the ball as hard as he can to get it 44 yards. Weak.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-em4MGJ-nwbc/T-n_tekDLcI/AAAAAAAAAEg/aIpUpMvWt40/s800/jamal.JPG

As you can see in the picture, his feet are not set in a normal throwing position. He is rolling out to his left with a man in his face and tosses a perfect strike 45 yards down the field. That is a very tough throw to make, especially for a right handed QB. If he had come set, he would have his shoulders facing the sideline with his right foot planted.

I know you hate Appalachian and all but can you really not give any ASU player their due for a great play? That was an excellent throw.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-em4MGJ-nwbc/T-n_tekDLcI/AAAAAAAAAEg/aIpUpMvWt40/s800/jamal.JPG

As you can see in the picture, his feet are not set in a normal throwing position. He is rolling out to his left with a man in his face and tosses a perfect strike 45 yards down the field. That is a very tough throw to make, especially for a right handed QB. If he had come set, he would have his shoulders facing the sideline with his right foot planted.

I know you hate Appalachian and all but can you really not give any ASU player their due for a great play? That was an excellent throw.

Actually his feet are nearly perfectly set for the point at which the ball is, he rotates his hips the proper direction as he brings the ball forward to release it. . It was a great play. Certainly doesn't show any great arm strength. Terrell Robinson is being judged by his worst game(the only one that wasn't very good) but apparently your boy get's judged by his best play.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Actually his feet are nearly perfectly set for the point at which the ball is, he rotates his hips the proper direction as he brings the ball forward to release it. . It was a great play. Certainly doesn't show any great arm strength. Terrell Robinson is being judged by his worst game(the only one that wasn't very good) but apparently your boy get's judged by his best play.

He is still rolling out when he releases the ball and I think that a right handed QB making that throw across his body while rolling left does show arm strength but there is no sense in arguing.

Did you read all the criticisms I made about him before mentioning that one play which showed a strong arm? I'm not judging him on that one play, just using that play to show that he has the arm to make tough throws. How many times during a season do you really need your QB to hit a man more than 50 yards down field? He's got plenty of arm. I also put Robinson as the second best QB in the SoCon in spite of one horrible game and a very small sample size. If I was judging him solely on his performance against Furman, he'd obviously be nowhere near the top. He is a talented kid, he just hasn't shown enough with his passing ability yet. Arm strength is no question for him either, but accuracy and the ability to read coverage schemes are concerns.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7135188

Wow look at this play from Robinson, no question about his passing ability right?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7135538

dang, this dude is phenomenal look at that play. Questions answered.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
What asumike said:
He is still rolling out when he releases the ball and I think that a right handed QB making that throw across his body while rolling left does show arm strength but there is no sense in arguing.

Did you read all the criticisms I made about him before mentioning that one play which showed a strong arm? I'm not judging him on that one play, just using that play to show that he has the arm to make tough throws. How many times during a season do you really need your QB to hit a man more than 50 yards down field? He's got plenty of arm. I also put Robinson as the second best QB in the SoCon in spite of one horrible game and a very small sample size. If I was judging him solely on his performance against Furman, he'd obviously be nowhere near the top. He is a talented kid, he just hasn't shown enough with his passing ability yet. Arm strength is no question for him either, but accuracy and the ability to read coverage schemes are concerns.

What Chattown heard: blah blah blah blah App State is the best blah blah he's hating on Nooga, blah blah blah blah no one loves me blah blah blah my team is better than yours..blah blah blah I'm a crank.

cbarrier90
June 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM

If you're going to criticize his passing ability, here's a tip: don't pick a pass he completes 50 yards for a touchdown.

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312952210

Wow look at this play from Robinson, no question about his passing ability right?

He was totally past the line of scrimmage when he threw that

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
He was totally past the line of scrimmage when he threw that

Line of scrimmage was the 48. Threw the ball at the 47 1/2. Try again.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7135188

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7135538

dang, this dude is phenomenal look at that play. Questions answered.

*tap tap*

Is this thing on?

Those clips perfectly exemplify a couple of things I've said about Robinson:

1) Arm strength is no question for him, he is a very talented kid.
2) He has not shown enough with his passing yet. He has to do it consistently. Those are both great throws but I just watched nearly 20% of his passing yards in 2 quick highlights.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Look at this beast in his 1st start! So smooth

http://www.gomocs.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?CLIP_ID=792546&oemid=17700&KEY=&type=vod&id=805920&db_oem_id=17700&CLIP_FILE_ID=805920

CID1990
June 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
3) Thomas Wilson - Elon
6) Jerick McKinnon - GSU
7) Brian Kass - Wofford
9) Ben Neill - Samford

Dupree is our probable starter, but by no means a lock. Rare for us, we have a 3 way QB competition.

GlassOnion
June 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Dupree is our probable starter, but by no means a lock. Rare for us, we have a 3 way QB competition.

Is Dupree the 5'6 guy?

GlassOnion
June 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Look at this beast in his 1st start! So smooth

http://www.gomocs.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?CLIP_ID=792546&oemid=17700&KEY=&type=vod&id=805920&db_oem_id=17700&CLIP_FILE_ID=805920

Jamal Jackson's first start included 19 straight completions. Finished 21 of 27 with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a 187 passer rating.

Here's Jackson, 2:05 mark, making a better throw than anything you just posted.

http://youtu.be/tALC8DZ6oNU

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM

xbawlingx

I love your posts, they are hilarious. You are really talented. Granted, not nearly as talented as Jamal Jackson, but pretty darn talented nonetheless. Keep up the good work!

AGS is always ripe for a chattown troll-by.

bjtheflamesfan
June 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
My quarterback can beat up your quarterback!

(that is what this is looking like)

CID1990
June 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Is Dupree the 5'6 guy?

Yep. He's a great runner, but I think if we find someone with an arm he might be riding the pine.

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Yep. He's a great runner, but I think if we find someone with an arm he might be riding the pine.

Wow, that is a short QB! However, he could be perfect for an option offense. I used to play safety back in the high school days and faced a lot of option teams. I always hated trying to tackle those quick little bastards.

CID1990
June 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Wow, that is a short QB! However, he could be perfect for an option offense. I used to play safety back in the high school days and faced a lot of option teams. I always hated trying to tackle those quick little bastards.

He is solid, but last year we were just too one-dimensional in terms of our ability to throw the ball. That said, it is tough for a little guy to throw out of most TO formations. We have added some new ones this year to see if he can't be more of a threat in the air.

Considering how little we threw the ball last year and how much the other teams knew this limitation (the box was always stacked) it speaks volumes about the team that we won the games that we did (along with the close losses). I think we can realistically have a 6-7 win season this year if we can throw the ball with as little as a 30-40 percent reception rate. Our home schedule gives us a boost with the likely middle-of-the-pack opponents this year, so we'll see.

CID1990
June 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Correction: Ben is 5'9" and 180 lbs. Still not a big guy by any stretch. He's sneaky though.

WUTNDITWAA
June 26th, 2012, 09:11 PM

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy300/AppinVA/5ce006c1.jpg

This message board IS CHEAP!!!

seantaylor
June 27th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Got no beef with JJ being there preseason. McKinnon will top the list postseason. Robinson most overrated player the league.

Milktruck74
June 27th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Let's face it, the strength in the SoCon this year is not in the QB position. Based on the returners from last year, being ranked #1 is alot like being the tallest pigmy. I'm not saying someone may not have a break out season, but based on what we have to go by....NOBODY is that great.

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Let's face it, the strength in the SoCon this year is not in the QB position. Based on the returners from last year, being ranked #1 is alot like being the tallest pigmy. I'm not saying someone may not have a break out season, but based on what we have to go by....NOBODY is that great.

Speak for Yosef. JJ should have a break out year with the chess master back calling the plays. I'll bet Walter Payton finalist.

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hXaNDLcYhWE/Tgxo_L8csbI/AAAAAAAAAIY/xRyneLSZ4jk/s1600/chessmaster.jpg

Eaglesrus
June 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I woke up a happy guy today, because I knew that I would get to witness an epic, all-day battle royale. Apphole, chattown, seantaylor.........xpopcornx

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hXaNDLcYhWE/Tgxo_L8csbI/AAAAAAAAAIY/xRyneLSZ4jk/s1600/chessmaster.jpg

I don't know where you'd be if you didn't have your google image search

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Got no beef with JJ being there preseason. McKinnon will top the list postseason. Robinson most overrated player the league.

No way a triple option QB tops any list ever.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM

I'm sure the Georgia Southern fans will completely agree with that. Six national titles and not a single top quarterback.

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm sure the Georgia Southern fans will completely agree with that. Six national titles and not a single top quarterback.

If you're looking for padded stats from a QB, it would be extremely difficult to garner those kind of numbers in the TO. McKinnon could dominate in the position and lead his team to a #7 NC. He'll accrue some good rushing stats, several TD's maybe a big pass here and there, but he won't be in the statistical realm of QB's in different offensive schemes, even those playing for less successful teams.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I dont think McKinnon will be there. I dont think he passes for more than the 1400 Jaybo did. I do think GSU has a good chance to get three 1,000 yard rushers though.

As far as most overated, Chattown rated Wilson at #2, Id say thats highly over rated considering he threw just about as many INTs as TDs. And thats no joke, 21 Interceptions, 23 Touchdowns. Thats one loose cannon.

Eaglesrus
June 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
If you're looking for padded stats from a QB, it would be extremely difficult to garner those kind of numbers in the TO. McKinnon could dominate in the position and lead his team to a #7 NC. He'll accrue some good rushing stats, several TD's maybe a big pass here and there, but he won't be in the statistical realm of QB's in different offensive schemes, even those playing for less successful teams.

At the risk of being accused of dredging up ancient history, and being told that there will never be another Tracy Hamm (I would agree), I will still point out that he "was known for his abilities as a dual threat quarterback. In his college career with Georgia Southern he became the first quarterback to rush for 3,000 yards and pass for 5,000 yards in a career". Not saying one of our current guys will do it, just that it can be done.

blueballs
June 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Greg Hill (1999) and Chaz Williams (2002) both won SoCon POTY while running the GSU option and Tracy Ham is in the College Football HOF, so that statement is patently false.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Greg Hill (1999) and Chaz Williams (2002) both won SoCon POTY while running the GSU option and Tracy Ham is in the College Football HOF, so that statement is patently false.

Great season. Ended the year with staggering offensive numbers and one unused timeout.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
IIRC, Chaz was all-conference as a running-back.

Appaholic
June 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Soooo....you're taking solace in the fact he only threw 7 times.....and that is why he only had 3 yards passing.....along with 2 interceptions......OK Chattown....good argument!xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Soooo....you're taking solace in the fact he only threw 7 times.....and that is why he only had 3 yards passing.....along with 2 interceptions......OK Chattown....good argument!xthumbsupx

Part of the head scratcher is that Furman had a physical defense, and teams had to earn their touchdowns, but the team was not particularly good between the twentys. I think the Paladin D ranked ahead of only Western Carolina (who is in their own stratosphere) in total defense in the SoCon. That is to say, I can see where UTC could have struggled to score against Furman (like App did and Wofford did), but not necessarily be unable to complete a pass. I'd like to think of Furman's defense as the iron curtain, but sadly, they were not that good. Decent, but not that good.

blueballs
June 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Great season. Ended the year with staggering offensive numbers and one unused timeout.

That was in 2004...

... 2002 was the year GSU led Furman at Furman on their homecoming 35-0 at halftime and Sir Paladin tasted the turf. ;-)

I can see how you have repressed that memory... the same way I did GSU/FU 2009. LOL

CID1990
June 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Not even for rushing? Jack Douglas still holds the record, I think.

Apphole
June 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM

I didn't think that statement through. Here's the point I was trying to make. After all, we're discussing top SoCon QB's. You need stellar numbers, well rounded use, Walter Payton consideration ect IMHO.

seantaylor
June 28th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Lol. We've had two QBs win the Payton and two more that should have.

Mr. C
June 28th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Lol. We've had two QBs win the Payton and two more that should have.

Wrong as usual, ST. Georgia Southern's only Payton Award winners were Adrian Peterson and Jayson Foster. Last time I checked, AP wasn't a QB. Tracy Ham's years pre-dated the Payton.

AppAlum2003
June 28th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Wrong as usual, ST. Georgia Southern's only Payton Award winners were Adrian Peterson and Jayson Foster. Last time I checked, AP wasn't a QB. Tracy Ham's years pre-dated the Payton.

Jayson Foster wasn't a QB either... (despite where he lined up)

But DAMN could he run and make wannabe-tacklers look foolish.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 28th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jayson Foster is classified as a quarterback because he can't be classified as an omniback.

:D

blueballs
June 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Folks tend to forget how good he really was...

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Jayson Foster wasn't a QB either... (despite where he lined up)

But DAMN could he run and make wannabe-tacklers look foolish.

He made Furman look bad for three years.

I do take some comfort in knowing that Foster's last carry against Furman his senior year ended in the only hard lick I ever saw a defensive player get on him. Furman's MLB squared him up nicely and caused a fumble (despite the ruling the "ground" caused it). GSU's kicker was nice enough to shank their second bite at the apple, though. :)

AppAlum2003
June 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM

I do take some comfort in knowing that Foster's last carry against Furman his senior year ended in the only hard lick I ever saw a defensive player get on him. Furman's MLB squared him up nicely and caused a fumble (despite the ruling the "ground" caused it). GSU's kicker was nice enough to shank their second bite at the apple, though. :)

His game in Boone during his Payton year was amazing. I don't normally like to say this because it sounds ridiculous, but he honestly was 1 - 2 steps faster than ANYONE on the field that day. Not just straight ahead speed, but lateral speed. He was sliding in and out of tackles like me against my 9 year old nephew in the backyard.

chattownmocs
June 28th, 2012, 01:35 PM
His game in Boone during his Payton year was amazing. I don't normally like to say this because it sounds ridiculous, but he honestly was 1 - 2 steps faster than ANYONE on the field that day. Not just straight ahead speed, but lateral speed. He was sliding in and out of tackles like me against my 9 year old nephew in the backyard.

You play tackle football with your 9 year old nephew?

blueballs
June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM

That hit knocked Foster crazy and pretty much made Hatcher play for the FG instead of the TD...

That play was just incredible... GSU had fourth and forever inside the last two minutes and Foster breaks off a mind boggling run only to be helicoptered by one of Furman's defenders. You could hear the hit all over the stadium- it was a wonder he got up. Just a spectacular play by both Foster and the Furman defender who laid the wood. FWIW I thought it was a fumble...

blueballs
June 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Armanti Edwards was coming off an injury (he had missed a couple of games) and threw a pick 6 to Carson Hill on App's first possession after GSU had scored on their first possession.

After that it was just a shoot out between two of the most exciting players in SoCon history (Edwards and Foster). Quentin Taylor made the game saving play for GSU by pushing Edwards out of bounds right at the stick in the last minute to turn the ball over on downs and thwart Armanti's furious comeback.

That game was definitely the highlight of the Hatcher era at GSU and one of the most exciting games in an incredibly exciting rivalry.

asumike83
June 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Armanti Edwards was coming off an injury (he had missed a couple of games) and threw a pick 6 to Carson Hill on App's first possession after GSU had scored on their first possession.

After that it was just a shoot out between two of the most exciting players in SoCon history (Edwards and Foster). Quentin Taylor made the game saving play for GSU by pushing Edwards out of bounds right at the stick in the last minute to turn the ball over on downs and thwart Armanti's furious comeback.

That game was definitely the highlight of the Hatcher era at GSU and one of the most exciting games in an incredibly exciting rivalry.

Great game, however painful it may be. We hadn't lost at home in 5 years before then.

AppMan
June 28th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Not convinced Jackson is the best QB on the ASU squad. He played behind a very young and poorly coached O-line and was coached by a guy that was shown the door following the season. Jamal showed heart, desire, the ability to make plays under pressure and delivers an exceptional long ball. However, he is a marginal option QB and runner. The main thing he has going for him, he is the only guy on the squad with starting ecxperience. I won;t be suprised to see someone else turn some heads during fall camp.

asumike83
June 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Not convinced Jackson is the best QB on the ASU squad. He played behind a very young and poorly coached O-line and was coached by a guy that was shown the door following the season. Jamal showed heart, desire, the ability to make plays under pressure and delivers an exceptional long ball. However, he is a marginal option QB and runner. The main thing he has going for him, he is the only guy on the squad with starting ecxperience. I won;t be suprised to see someone else turn some heads during fall camp.

I think Paul Magloire could make some noise in camp as a freshman but I'd be pretty surprised if Jamal was considered for demotion. I think having Satterfield as his position coach will help him make his reads in the option. He'll never be a DeAndre Presley or Armanti in terms of running the football but I can see Coach Satterfield using a similar play-calling strategy as he did for Richie Williams in 2005. Of course, it all hinges on a much improved running game. If we can't move the ball on the ground much better than last year, it will be an uphill battle.

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I think Paul Magloire could make some noise in camp as a freshman but I'd be pretty surprised if Jamal was considered for demotion. I think having Satterfield as his position coach will help him make his reads in the option. He'll never be a DeAndre Presley or Armanti in terms of running the football but I can see Coach Satterfield using a similar play-calling strategy as he did for Richie Williams in 2005. Of course, it all hinges on a much improved running game. If we can't move the ball on the ground much better than last year, it will be an uphill battle.

You make an interesting point. I think when we look back on the three year run of App State we might well consider Kevin Richardson as the most valuable player during that time. Williams and Edward both benefited from having a workhorse in the backfield that Jayson Foster never had.

Apps03
June 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
You make an interesting point. I think when we look back on the three year run of App State we might well consider Kevin Richardson as the most valuable player during that time. Williams and Edward both benefited from having a workhorse in the backfield that Jayson Foster never had.

I certainly don't want to take anything away from KR but I've often thought the line from those years was the biggest key to the success. Kerry Brown just moved people. Richardson was often 5-7 yards downfield before the first defender touched him.

asumike83
June 29th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I certainly don't want to take anything away from KR but I've often thought the line from those years was the biggest key to the success. Kerry Brown just moved people. Richardson was often 5-7 yards downfield before the first defender touched him.

As with any great run like we had winning championships and putting up huge offensive numbers, the entire unit was solid top to bottom. Kerry Brown was an absolute monster and our run game did drop off with the graduation of Brown, Suttle and Co. However, Richardson was a true workhorse that seemingly never missed a snap. A perfect spread RB that could run between the tackles, get tough yards when we needed them and handle all the blocking responsibilities that come with playing RB in that scheme. Hard to say who the most valuable player was over the three-year stretch but in terms of who was the biggest nightmare to plan a defense for, Armanti was in a league of his own.

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 08:41 AM
As with any great run like we had winning championships and putting up huge offensive numbers, the entire unit was solid top to bottom. Kerry Brown was an absolute monster and our run game did drop off with the graduation of Brown, Suttle and Co. However, Richardson was a true workhorse that seemingly never missed a snap. A perfect spread RB that could run between the tackles, get tough yards when we needed them and handle all the blocking responsibilities that come with playing RB in that scheme. Hard to say who the most valuable player was over the three-year stretch but in terms of who was the biggest nightmare to plan a defense for, Armanti was in a league of his own.

No doubt Armanti was the guy you had to get to, but sometimes it takes two to make things click. With Furman, Ingle Martin was a heckuva quarterback, but I'm not sure he would have put up such numbers if not for the Volkswagen wearing #45 behind him.

AppMan
June 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
No dount KR played a huge part in their success, but defenses had to sit back and respect #14's ability to throw and run when things broke down up front. When UR beat us in the playoffs they came at Armanti because they knew he couldn't run. With a healthy set of wheels under AE I have little doubt the Apps would have won 4 in a row.

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
No dount KR played a huge part in their success, but defenses had to sit back and respect #14's ability to throw and run when things broke down up front. When UR beat us in the playoffs they came at Armanti because they knew he couldn't run. With a healthy set of wheels under AE I have little doubt the Apps would have won 4 in a row.

Without a patch of ice, you wouldn't have won the first :)

AshevilleApp2
June 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Remember that the slip was on third down. Big number 45 got stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1. :)

And if Richie Williams was healthy, it wouldn't have been that close to begin with.

AppMan
June 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Patch of ice? Guys ran around on that piece of real estate all day without slipping. Don't blame the turf just because Ingle couldn't keep his balance. I suppose the five Apps that met the VW at the goal line had on magic shoes...... ;>) Guess it can be said without #14 we wouldn't have won the other two! But we did .... and we did!

344Johnson
June 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
so....when is chattown going to start making preposterous statements again? I have refreshed this thread like 5 times in the past 20 minutes just waiting.

blueballs
June 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
so....when is chattown going to start making preposterous statements again? I have refreshed this thread like 5 times in the past 20 minutes just waiting.

Yup... too bad the thread devolved into a discussion about good football players instead of Chatty players. :-)

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Patch of ice? Guys ran around on that piece of real estate all day without slipping. Don't blame the turf just because Ingle couldn't keep his balance. I suppose the five Apps that met the VW at the goal line had on magic shoes...... ;>) Guess it can be said without #14 we wouldn't have won the other two! But we did .... and we did!

No one debates that Apps defense stuffed Felton on the goal line. It wouldn't even be a topic if Ingle Martin wasn't so inexplicably uncovered. Had he rushed to the pylon, dove, and was driven back by a motivated App defense, you'd never hear a word about it. Furman fans still lament it because it was a perfect play call, perfect execution, no defender within fifteen yards, would likely have sealed the game, and put Furman in the national title contest, had one of the great athletes in the history of SoCon football unbelievably not fallen down at the two with naught a defensive player in sight.

So, I just don't get all excited about what little bit of luck could have happened to give App a fourth championship when overlooking the little bits of luck that happened that allowed them to win the first.

Saint3333
June 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
That endzone is haunted no doubt about it, too many strange things have happened in that corner.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The two best GSU-ASU games ever. I mean "best" in a non-homer sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1u106l3jg

That second one was in 2008 and shows the big plays of both teams. About 3 times in the last 5 minutes of the game you're pretty sure it's over, but something happens and it's a game again.

ElonPride
June 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Jayson Foster is classified as a quarterback because he can't be classified as an omniback.

:D

Foster was simply a beast. One of the best all around athletes ever in FCS.

But, as far as QBs go this season, there really aren't any true standouts. At the moment, I would probably put Jackson at the top of the list....if simply not for potential alone. Wilson could be a good QB, considering his size and arm strength. He needs to improve timing.

AppMan
June 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
No one debates that Apps defense stuffed Felton on the goal line. It wouldn't even be a topic if Ingle Martin wasn't so inexplicably uncovered. Had he rushed to the pylon, dove, and was driven back by a motivated App defense, you'd never hear a word about it. Furman fans still lament it because it was a perfect play call, perfect execution, no defender within fifteen yards, would likely have sealed the game, and put Furman in the national title contest, had one of the great athletes in the history of SoCon football unbelievably not fallen down at the two with naught a defensive player in sight.

So, I just don't get all excited about what little bit of luck could have happened to give App a fourth championship when overlooking the little bits of luck that happened that allowed them to win the first.

One can go back and recall many oddities happening during a season which may have determined the outcome of a game. Besides, I seem to remember a certain All American QB leaving the game with 6 1/2 minutes remaining in the first quarter. Prior to the injury ASU's offense was having their way with the FU defense and had Williams not been injured the game would not have even been close enough for the "slip" to matter. These things just seem to have a way of working out.

hiyosef
June 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM
That endzone is haunted no doubt about it, too many strange things have happened in that corner.

That corner of the field is The Black Hole. ASU opponent's dreams of winning seem to disappear in that corner. Only exception is FU going for 2.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM

I am starting a thread about players I have watched tape on this off-season that have really impressed me with some overrated and underrated guys out there. Figured I would chime in here.

Based on the current tape out there, let me first say that being the best QB in the SoCon is like being the tallest midget in the room. Robinson, Wilson, and Jackson neither are top 25 QBs in FCS right now.

I think Robinson is the most talented in the short time he was on the field but in defense of the other two he hasn't played enough to know if he can adjust after defenses scheme against him.

Wilson throws a lot of interceptions and the only reason he has the numbers he does is because he has the best player in FCS on his team (Mellette) and they throw the ball a lot. He turns the ball over way too many times to say he is the best for sure.

The only reason I think Jackson is probably the best right now is because he has the best TD-INT ratio and he does have the upside.

With that said, by the end of the year my prediction is that Jackson will be the 3rd best QB in the league behind the GSU QB and either Wilson or Robinson because I expect one of them to have a big year. I feel like the SoCon will have a very good group of QBs in 2013 because everyone except Wilson will be back.

You really sound like an App hater with your thread like this. Yes Hooper did go to App State and he is only at Bleacher Report because he can't get in with a legit media outlet. Phil Steele and TSN both gave him a shot and he blew those chances. He has some problems though that aren't his fault so you can't say he is just a flat out idiot.

As for being a homer just because someone graduated from a school doesn't make them a homer when they talk about that school. If that's the case then you are a Chatty homer and I think everyone needs to ignore anything you say about Chatty players, correct? I think not. But based on your logic that would be true.

Your logic is wrong but I think the best QB in the SoCon in the postseason is not a name anyone fully expects to be now. It could be Robinson or Wilson but I think someone like the GSU QB will come out of nowhere and be that guy.

ASUMountaineer
July 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
I am starting a thread about players I have watched tape on this off-season that have really impressed me with some overrated and underrated guys out there. Figured I would chime in here.

Based on the current tape out there, let me first say that being the best QB in the SoCon is like being the tallest midget in the room. Robinson, Wilson, and Jackson neither are top 25 QBs in FCS right now.

I think Robinson is the most talented in the short time he was on the field but in defense of the other two he hasn't played enough to know if he can adjust after defenses scheme against him.

Wilson throws a lot of interceptions and the only reason he has the numbers he does is because he has the best player in FCS on his team (Mellette) and they throw the ball a lot. He turns the ball over way too many times to say he is the best for sure.

The only reason I think Jackson is probably the best right now is because he has the best TD-INT ratio and he does have the upside.

With that said, by the end of the year my prediction is that Jackson will be the 3rd best QB in the league behind the GSU QB and either Wilson or Robinson because I expect one of them to have a big year. I feel like the SoCon will have a very good group of QBs in 2013 because everyone except Wilson will be back.

You really sound like an App hater with your thread like this. Yes Hooper did go to App State and he is only at Bleacher Report because he can't get in with a legit media outlet. Phil Steele and TSN both gave him a shot and he blew those chances. He has some problems though that aren't his fault so you can't say he is just a flat out idiot.

As for being a homer just because someone graduated from a school doesn't make them a homer when they talk about that school. If that's the case then you are a Chatty homer and I think everyone needs to ignore anything you say about Chatty players, correct? I think not. But based on your logic that would be true.

Your logic is wrong but I think the best QB in the SoCon in the postseason is not a name anyone fully expects to be now. It could be Robinson or Wilson but I think someone like the GSU QB will come out of nowhere and be that guy.

I'm not questioning your opinion, but is it hard to believe that "GSU QB" will be the best in the SoCon when the name is "GSU QB?" Does GSU know who their QB will be? I'm not asking because I think Jackson will be, I have no idea who will be...just curious if there is something you know that we don't.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'm not questioning your opinion, but is it hard to believe that "GSU QB" will be the best in the SoCon when the name is "GSU QB?" Does GSU know who their QB will be? I'm not asking because I think Jackson will be, I have no idea who will be...just curious if there is something you know that we don't.

No, it's not. Let me put it to you this way. If I put out an all-conference team Dozier from Furman and Breitenstein of Wofford were both gone and I had the no name from the Furman OL and Wofford RB on my list would you really question it when you consider how consistent those positions from those schools have been? Or an OL from Wofford. Not really a reason to question because you know their rep. GSU has had some good QBs and we both know their QB will be a good one.

Now, I would never put him preseason first-team right now but either of the two are solid players and I believe they will lead GSU to the SoCon title and be on the all-conference team. I'm putting Jackson on the first-team but to be honest it's only because he has the fewest or the least deadly weaknesses of the others in the league who played.

Remember when I said that I would put DeAndre Presley as the preseason All-American QB his senior year but I said he won't be there at the end of the season? I only put him there because there was not enough on the resume of Brad Sorensen, Casey Brockman, Bo Levi Mitchell, Chris Lum, etc. to warrant putting them on? Sorensen put it together mid-season in 2011 while the others were either transfers or played lesser competition on a weekly basis and thus I didn't want to put them ahead of a returning Walter Payton Award Finalist entering the year. The same goes here.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM

I guess he's seen both Youyoute and McKinnon on film. They both could potentially be top SoCon QBs.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I guess he's seen both Youyoute and McKinnon on film. They both could potentially be top SoCon QBs.

Have not seen either in a game yet but with the GSU offense and the type of evaluators I know the GSU coaches are I think it's pretty safe to assume the starter will be a good one this year.

GlassOnion
July 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
My money's on Jackson.

I watched him QB a 2011 App team which had an abysmal rushing game. The first App State team since 2004 that has not had a 1,000 yard rusher. The majority of 2005-2010 App teams, had TWO 1,000 yard rushers. Cadet led the 2011 team with just 713 yards. Jackson was 26 of 45 for 280 yards against Maine, in spite of the ground game producing just 3 measly yards.

With a new and competant OL coach, App returning 12 scholarship Olinemen, 6 of which have started at some point, gaining Rod Chisholm, Mike Frazier, Tysean Holloway at RB and returning Steven Miller at the same, all signs point to much better production from the ground game, which IMO creates a big bounce in stats for Jackson. Oh, and how did I forget, Scott Satterfield?

Meanwhile,
Chatty, who's rushing game was 2x as abysmal as App's, loses two OL starters, and the element of surprise when it comes to the QB position. Chattanooga's top 2 RBs combined for about the same number of yards as Cadet alone for App.

GSU in the mean time, will try out a new QB, behind some new OL starters, in an offense that passes only a fraction of the time. If the rushing game is as effective as most people believe, they'll pass even fewer times. Jaybo Shaw passed for 600 fewer yards than Jackson, in 6 more starts, behind a better OL. I do not see a freshmen QB at GSU passing for over 2,000, and I dont think a QB who passes for less than 2,000 can get "best QB" honors.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
My money's on Jackson.

I watched him QB a 2011 App team which had an abysmal rushing game. The first App State team since 2004 that has not had a 1,000 yard rusher. The majority of 2005-2010 App teams, had TWO 1,000 yard rushers. Cadet led the 2011 team with just 713 yards. Jackson was 26 of 45 for 280 yards against Maine, in spite of the ground game producing just 3 measly yards.

With a new and competant OL coach, App returning 12 scholarship Olinemen, 6 of which have started at some point, gaining Rod Chisholm, Mike Frazier, Tysean Holloway at RB and returning Steven Miller at the same, all signs point to much better production from the ground game, which IMO creates a big bounce in stats for Jackson. Oh, and how did I forget, Scott Satterfield?

Meanwhile,
Chatty, who's rushing game was 2x as abysmal as App's, loses two OL starters, and the element of surprise when it comes to the QB position. Chattanooga's top 2 RBs combined for about the same number of yards as Cadet alone for App.

GSU in the mean time, will try out a new QB, behind some new OL starters, in an offense that passes only a fraction of the time. If the rushing game is as effective as most people believe, they'll pass even fewer times. Jaybo Shaw passed for 600 fewer yards than Jackson, in 6 more starts, behind a better OL. I do not see a freshmen QB at GSU passing for over 2,000, and I dont think a QB who passes for less than 2,000 can get "best QB" honors.

It will be interesting for sure because now Satterfield has complete control so if ASU takes a step back it will be on him but if the offense blossoms and starts churning out 35 or 40 points a game we know it's because of a lot of what SS has done. This App offense could potentially be an elite offense with all the speed they have. All signs point to App being very good on offense. If they aren't then SS is going to have a lot of work to do in the spring and would have the tools because if you look ASU only has one high impact senior on offense (Steven Miller). Miller is not even a star but he is fast and able to break big runs. I believe he will have a solid year in this offense.

GlassOnion
July 2nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
It will be interesting for sure because now Satterfield has complete control so if ASU takes a step back it will be on him but if the offense blossoms and starts churning out 35 or 40 points a game we know it's because of a lot of what SS has done. This App offense could potentially be an elite offense with all the speed they have. All signs point to App being very good on offense. If they aren't then SS is going to have a lot of work to do in the spring and would have the tools because if you look ASU only has one high impact senior on offense (Steven Miller). Miller is not even a star but he is fast and able to break big runs. I believe he will have a solid year in this offense.

With the defense App has coming back, I'll be happy with 28 ppg, but I'd bet on closer to 35. Satterfield loves getting the RB into the pass game, I believe Miller has a big season on the outside, and Chisholm and Frazier move the ball inside the redzone, something we've lacked for a few years, but now with ~300 lb average on the OL, we should be able to take advantage of.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
My money's on Jackson.

Meanwhile,

I guess from my seats, though they return a lot of linemen, I think App is suffering from a couple dismal recruiting years at the position. That's the position they have to shore up. I'm not sure the offense will take off (regardless of who is calling the plays) until they starting getting the defensive line off the ball.

Saint3333
July 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Look for Jackson's completion percentage to increase this year. If the players can keep up we should see a very interesting offense this year.

App had bad recruiting years on the oline in 2008 and 2009, but 2010 - 2012 they have done a good job there.

ASU's coaching staff has been upgraded. These lineman now have someone that will build them up and he played in the league for 8 years.

My biggest concern about ASU's offense is TE and depth at WR, but I'm betting Price and one of the two incoming freshman step up in 2012.

ASUMountaineer
July 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
No, it's not. Let me put it to you this way. If I put out an all-conference team Dozier from Furman and Breitenstein of Wofford were both gone and I had the no name from the Furman OL and Wofford RB on my list would you really question it when you consider how consistent those positions from those schools have been? Or an OL from Wofford. Not really a reason to question because you know their rep. GSU has had some good QBs and we both know their QB will be a good one.

Now, I would never put him preseason first-team right now but either of the two are solid players and I believe they will lead GSU to the SoCon title and be on the all-conference team. I'm putting Jackson on the first-team but to be honest it's only because he has the fewest or the least deadly weaknesses of the others in the league who played.

Remember when I said that I would put DeAndre Presley as the preseason All-American QB his senior year but I said he won't be there at the end of the season? I only put him there because there was not enough on the resume of Brad Sorensen, Casey Brockman, Bo Levi Mitchell, Chris Lum, etc. to warrant putting them on? Sorensen put it together mid-season in 2011 while the others were either transfers or played lesser competition on a weekly basis and thus I didn't want to put them ahead of a returning Walter Payton Award Finalist entering the year. The same goes here.

Thanks. Again, I wasn't questioning the correctness of your opinion, just wanting to understand why you felt confident saying that an unnamed QB would be the best in the league.

As to DeAndre and the others in your last paragraph, again I wasn't trying to imply you were wrong. However, I think most of us should be able to provide our line of reasoning when giving opinions. That's what I was hoping to get, and I appreciate that you provided it.

ASUMountaineer
July 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM

I don't doubt that they could be, just was asking for the reasoning behind the opinion. I wish our game was in Boone again this season!

GlassOnion
July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I guess from my seats, though they return a lot of linemen, I think App is suffering from a couple dismal recruiting years at the position. That's the position they have to shore up. I'm not sure the offense will take off (regardless of who is calling the plays) until they starting getting the defensive line off the ball.

The dismal recruiting years were 4-5 years ago. The past 3 years have been great for the OL. We're loaded with Jrs, Sophs and Fr and RsFr.

There were some HUGE issues with the previous OL coach, benching players, rants and personal issues, starting 9 or 10 different players on the line throughout the season. First coach that Jerry Moore's sent off in quite some time. They called it a "mutual decision" but of course...

Apphole
July 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Bob McClain was a ****er. He sabotaged his own career just as surly as he sabotaged our offense last year. Dead weight and good riddance. I couldn't imagine having a more dismal offense than what we did last year.

GlassOnion
July 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
I cant find any info at all on them getting new jobs, neither Mclain or Chris Moore. I figured if they had gotten a HS job or assistant job at a university it would have made it to google.

Apphole
July 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I cant find any info at all on them getting new jobs, neither Mclain or Chris Moore. I figured if they had gotten a HS job or assistant job at a university it would have made it to google.

When I first saw McClain, I knew there was something off about him. I should never be bigger than an O-line coach

blueballs
July 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM

Youyoute and McKinnon both have the explosiveness to be 1000-1500+ rushers while throwing for 1000+. If either goes 1000/1000 AND GSU wins the conference, they will get some kind (might not be 1st team) of all conference honor.

Both of those guys are DANGEROUS runners.

GlassOnion
July 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Youyoute and McKinnon both have the explosiveness to be 1000-1500+ rushers while throwing for 1000+. If either goes 1000/1000 AND GSU wins the conference, they will get some kind (might not be 1st team) of all conference honor.

Both of those guys are DANGEROUS runners.

I believe the conference honor you may be thinking of is "offensive player of the year," which is exactly what they should be if they go 1,000/1,000.

blueballs
July 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I believe the conference honor you may be thinking of is "offensive player of the year," which is exactly what they should be if they go 1,000/1,000.

IMO that one is Britenstein's to lose but I see your point...

seantaylor
July 3rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
McKinnon is the best athlete in the conference by a good margin. With the weapons that we have at the skill position, I expect him to have a Chaz Williams type season in 2002

CID1990
July 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
McKinnon is the best athlete in the conference by a good margin. With the weapons that we have at the skill position, I expect him to have a Chaz Williams type season in 2002

This is 2012.

In Statesboro it is 1921, but that still isn't 2002.

WUTNDITWAA
July 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
This is 2012.

I thought it was always 1861 at The Citadel.

blueballs
July 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
This is 2012.

We'll see Cid... McKinnon is among the handful of best athletes in the conference. I don't think anybody can debate that.

Personally, I hope Youyoute grabs the QB job by the throat so McKinnon can play DB. His perfomance at DB in the playoffs last year against VERY good competition was astounding considering he had never played the position before. If he was a DB full time he might have a future playing on Sundays because athletically he is the truth and he'd ahve two years to figure out the position.

IMO that would be the best and highest use of the available talent, but that scenario only works if Youyoute makes it work, and right now none of us know if that will be the case.

GATA
July 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM

Living on potential is basically Chattanooga Mocs football in a nutshell. It's the same old story. Chattown Mocs wants to be praised for the POTENTIAL of his team (which isn't nearly as high as he thinks it is). Can't blame him...when you don't have ACTUAL accomplishments to fall back on you can only talk about how good you should be.

I mean, Chatty really hasn't accomplished Jack **** in the last 1,000 years. And there is no good excuse as to why they should suck so bad. It's mind-bottling.

It got so bad last year he was asking for people to gobble his balls when Chatty had like 2 wins. He wanted the Mocs declared the best team in the conference because they LOST so many close games. Break out the participation trophies and the ice cream cake!

CID1990
July 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
We'll see Cid... McKinnon is among the handful of best athletes in the conference. I don't think anybody can debate that.

Personally, I hope Youyoute grabs the QB job by the throat so McKinnon can play DB. His perfomance at DB in the playoffs last year against VERY good competition was astounding considering he had never played the position before. If he was a DB full time he might have a future playing on Sundays because athletically he is the truth and he'd ahve two years to figure out the position.

IMO that would be the best and highest use of the available talent, but that scenario only works if Youyoute makes it work, and right now none of us know if that will be the case.

BB, I dont know bout all that. Go back and read SeanHomer's post real close.

Then you'll see!

CID1990
July 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I thought it was always 1861 at The Citadel.

amen bro

Eaglesrus
July 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM

I absolutely agree, especially since I heard recently that he really looks like a linebacker in the weight room, and is faster than he was last season. Sounds like somebody that we need to be hitting somebody.

EKU-n-GSU
July 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I absolutely agree, especially since I heard recently that he really looks like a linebacker in the weight room, and is faster than he was last season. Sounds like somebody that we need to be hitting somebody.

McKinnon is a freak in the weight room, but I doubt he'd be mistaken for a linebacker; he's just too small for that position. I was very impressed with his DB play in the playoffs last year, but frankly, I like is on-field demeanor for QB than DB. I don't dis-trust Youyoute, I just think McKinnon is more mature, and will make better decisions with the ball in his hands.

GATA
July 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
McKinnon is a freak in the weight room, but I doubt he'd be mistaken for a linebacker; he's just too small for that position. I was very impressed with his DB play in the playoffs last year, but frankly, I like is on-filed demeanor for QB than DB. I don't dis-trust Youyoute, I just think McKinnon is more mature, and will make better decisions with the ball in his hands.

I expect Mckinnon to win the job in the Fall with Youyoute as the main backup who gets used SPARINGLY at other positions.