PDA

View Full Version : Which former GWFC team will be the first to win a Conference title?

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
With the GWFC no more which team will be the first to win or share a conference title? (latest GWFC teams only..sorry SDSU, NDSU, and UNC)

Big Sky:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
North Dakota
Southern Utah

MVFC:

South Dakota

Gil Dobie
June 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
NDSU 2011............Sorry :)

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM

Obviously you missed the end of the question....latest teams only.

Gil Dobie
June 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Obviously you missed the end of the question....latest teams only.

Then it should be asked, what is the next former GWFC team to win a conference title, not first. You can only be first once. ;)

I think the next one will be Poly or UND.

frozennorth
June 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
poly most likely, possibly this year

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I voted for Cal Poly

USD will not "sniff" a MV title for many years....probably never.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Then it should be asked, what is the next former GWFC team to win a conference title, not first. You can only be first once. ;)

I think the next one will be Poly or UND.

Maybe I should just asked which former GWFC team will be the first to win a conference title outright? Hasn't been done....yet.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
I voted for Cal Poly

USD will not "sniff" a MV title for many years....probably never.

At least they do have Joe Glenn as head coach so thats a positive...too bad their competition is going to be something never seen before.

BisonFan02
June 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Maybe I should just asked which former GWFC team will be the first to win a conference title outright? Hasn't been done....yet.

I'll take the Natty as the tiebreaker...UNI can paint their door if they want.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'll take the Natty as the tiebreaker...UNI can paint their door if they want.

One team it won't be will be Northern Colorado....you can bet the house on that.

MTfan4life
June 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
If Cal Poly can return to the quality football they were playing in the mid to late 2000's, they will be the first of this group to win their conference.

slostang
June 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
If Cal Poly can return to the quality football they were playing in the mid to late 2000's, they will be the first of this group to win their conference.

Ellerson was a great coach and he really turn Cal Poly into a top 25 program. He recruited a different type of athlete for his double eagle flex defense (small quick d-linemen for one). Walsh runs a more conventional 4-3 defense and we have had some growing pains while recruiting different athletes to run it. Walsh and his staff have been excellent recruiters and I think you will see the results of that in the next few years. Ellerson found some gems like Barden and Noble, but Walsh's recruiting classes from top to bottom have been better.

clenz
June 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
At least they do have Joe Glenn as head coach so thats a positive...too bad their competition is going to be something never seen before.

Now now...USD hasn't been that bad against the teams currently in the MVFC all time....They are 96-122-11 all time against current MVFC schools, and have only been outscored by 705 points in those games.....granted that is the only FCS conference they have a win % of over 40% all time.....MVFC 44, Big Sky 37, OVC 28, Pioneer 33, and Southland 14.

Maybe those numbers are skewed from games decades ago...lets look at games only during their D1 transition.

ISUr:
2011: @ ISUr: loss 3-28

NDSU:
2010: @NDSU: L 16-38

Northern Iowa:
2010: v UNI: L 14-19
2009: @ UNI: L 7-66
2008: @ UNI: L 13-24

Those are the games they have played against the MVFC during their transition. Not real good for them as their average score is 10-35.

Now, are they better right now than they were in 2008-2010? Yep. So is every single MVFC team....except MSU and maybe WIU.

Their records if you go back further against MVFC teams they've played at any point in history and it doesn't get any better.

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Wow... USD has a HORRIBLE football history.

darell1976
June 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Wow... USD has a HORRIBLE football history.

They have played another Dakota team for a DII National Title, so they haven't been all that bad.

TheBisonator
June 25th, 2012, 01:06 AM
They have played another Dakota team for a DII National Title, so they haven't been all that bad.

They've been pretty bad/mediocre for most of history. The mid-80's for them were a flash in the pan.

MTfan4life
June 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Now, are they better right now than they were in 2008-2010? Yep. So is every single MVFC team....except MSU and maybe WIU.

I think you left SIU out of that group. They were 25-11 during those three years, and they didn't exactly do so well last year.

coover
June 28th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Poly should be a very good team this year, but, under normal circumstances, probably (I say probably as we haven't yet seen any games this year and no one actually knows how good, how really good, anyone is yet)... probably would not be able to win the championship this year in the Big Sky .... but circumstances are not normal. Poly may have the easiest league schedule of any team in the Big Sky! They do not play Montana. They do not play Montana State. And their game with Eastern Washington is not considered to be a league game. They MAY go undefeated in league (even if they lose to EWU). A Big Sky Championship is easily foreseeable.

darell1976
June 28th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Poly should be a very good team this year, but, under normal circumstances, probably (I say probably as we haven't yet seen any games this year and no one actually knows how good, how really good, anyone is yet)... probably would not be able to win the championship this year in the Big Sky .... but circumstances are not normal. Poly may have the easiest league schedule of any team in the Big Sky! They do not play Montana. They do not play Montana State. And their game with Eastern Washington is not considered to be a league game. They MAY go undefeated in league (even if they lose to EWU). A Big Sky Championship is easily foreseeable.

I see them losing at least one conference game.:D

RabidRabbit
June 28th, 2012, 02:02 PM

++++ to da Bison with the right answer.

darell1976
June 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM
++++ to da Bison with the right answer.

How about I change it to former GWFC team to win a conference title...without sharing.xlolx

No_Skill
June 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
How about I change it to former GWFC team to win a conference title...without sharing.xlolx

Then it would definitely be the bison...this coming year. xlolx

darell1976
June 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Then it would definitely be the bison...this coming year. xlolx

touchexbowx

dakotadan
June 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cal Poly. Possibly this fall.

Then UND down the road.