PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: CAA Formally Invites App State/Davidson/Charleston

Pages : [1] 2

ncguitarplyr
June 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.appstatenation.com/2012/06/22/report-caa-formally-invites-appalachian-state-davidson-charleston/

Kinda hope this is true, but we'll have to put our FBS dreams on hold for awhile if we go.

BisonFan02
June 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
xpopcornx

whitey
June 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Pretty excited if this is true.

cbarrier90
June 22nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Have we not learned to wait until multiple sources (and credible ones, at that) confirm before we start threads like this or did we not learn from the multitude of Sun Belt/C-USA threads?

Sorry, goblueridge.net doesn't cut it.

ASUMountaineer
June 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Have we not learned to wait until multiple sources (and credible ones, at that) confirm before we start threads like this or did we not learn from the multitude of Sun Belt/C-USA threads?

Sorry, goblueridge.net doesn't cut it.

Ehh, it's a message board. If people are looking for concrete news here they must be lost. The point of the board is for speculating and rumor-mongering.

SpiritCymbal
June 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
IF TRUE....

Then Ga. Southern fans would be in full on panic mode.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Seriously, who is this guy?

JSUBison
June 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
xpopcornx

No kidding. Can't wait till Apphole gives his take.

RichH2
June 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Davidson????? They quit PL .

ninerID
June 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?108660-Old-Dominion-To-CUSA&p=1793505&highlight=#post1793505

May 17th: Appalachian should just put their FBS fairy tale books back on the shelf, accept who they are and beg to get into the CAA.

Sandlapper Spike
June 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
I think BlueRidge.net got its info from several tweets by Burlington Times-News reporter Adam Smith. If so, the "formal invite" part is not correct. Smith reported that Davidson/CofC/Appy "formally had been contacted" by the CAA, which I think is a big difference than "formal invite".

ncguitarplyr
June 22nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah I found those tweets too and updated the post.

As far as sources go, I don't think my wordpress blog should be held to New York Times standards. I think it's fair enough that I clearly cite my sources always and it's up to you guys to make up your mind.

CID1990
June 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Will be sorry to see App go if and when that happens.

As for those adjunct members that don't play football, dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out.

youwouldno
June 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Smith also tweeted the other day that he didn't know what "formal contact" even means.

heath
June 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Seriously, who is this guy?

Ditto=look in the mirrorxnodx

cbarrier90
June 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM

xpopcornx

HailSzczur
June 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?108660-Old-Dominion-To-CUSA&p=1793505&highlight=#post1793505

May 17th: Appalachian should just put their FBS fairy tale books back on the shelf, accept who they are and beg to get into the CAA.

Beg? I'm not to familiar with anything but the football side, but I feel like they would welcome APP with open arms. I would personally. I would love to play them every year and really want to take a road trip down there. Plus it would certainly solidify the CAA as best conference.

proasu89
June 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Beg? I'm not to familiar with anything but the football side, but I feel like they would welcome APP with open arms. I would personally. I would love to play them every year and really want to take a road trip down there. Plus it would certainly solidify the CAA as best conference.

Consider the source.

UNH Fanboi
June 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
This is just what the CAA needs, another FBS wannabe xrolleyesx

RadioFan
June 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
I see no downside in it for the CAA. They Invite App and if App doesn't join then no biggie. They do join and the CAA gets a powerhouse and a possible $1 Million very soon.

spartanhead
June 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I see no downside in it for the CAA. They Invite App and if App doesn't join then no biggie. They do join and the CAA gets a powerhouse and a possible $1 Million very soon.Until TV stop running the show, App is stuck in 1AA.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Will be sorry to see App go if and when that happens.

As for those adjunct members that don't play football, dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out.

I agree. If and when, I will hate to see ASU leave.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM

LFN gives opinion and analysis. I don't think I have ever seen him mistate the factsxconfusedxxrolleyesx

chattownmocs
June 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
If this is true. App state is the small potatoes of this deal as an addition to the CAA. This would give them a monster basketball conference.

chattownmocs
June 23rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hate to see Davidson and Charleston go. will weaken the basketball. Fire shulman and we will be back in the ncaa tourney every year.

GSU EAGLES
June 23rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
App is definitely not leaving due to the $1 million CAA exit fee. They will stay in the SOCON until they make it to FBS or know 100% sure that is not happening. No way they move now only to get a FBS invite a year later and are forced to pay $1 million. Also if JMU and Delaware leave for CUSA right after App joins, then that would be a disaster for them. Too risky.

RadioFan
June 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
If this is true. App state is the small potatoes of this deal as an addition to the CAA.

This just screams jealousy. App State wouldn't be small potatoes to any FCS conference. 28,000-30,000 fans each home game would look good on TV for the CAA.

Pfft. 30,000 would look good for CUSA/SBC too.

BlueHenSinfonian
June 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM
App would be a welcome addition to the CAA. With the exodus of UMass, ODU, and URI the CAA has lost some strength, but adding App would re-establish the CAA as the premier FCS league bar-none.

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2012, 07:00 AM
The problem is, this makes zero sense for App State. They are already in a good football conference, and they have stated repeatedly their desire to go to the FBS. Making a lateral move, IMO, would tell their fan base they are running up the white flag on the FBS dream. Apps administration has been kind of a loose cannon on this whole realignment issue, but even they wouldn't go through the monumental pain in the rear it would be to change conferences for a "short time."

Saint3333
June 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Would the SoCon allow App to join a FBS conference for football only? The CAA would.

Read an interesting (somewhat long shot idea) that the MAC expands to 16 for football taking App, JMU, and UD. Academically it makes sense.

Again I don't see it happening but it's fun to discuss during the slow summer months.

fc97
June 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
where do you get that the caa would let app stay in the league and play football out. there is no precedent for that now. odu and georgia state didnt do it.

Saint3333
June 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
CAA football league is different than the CAA.

GlassOnion
June 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
The problem is, this makes zero sense for App State. They are already in a good football conference, and they have stated repeatedly their desire to go to the FBS. Making a lateral move, IMO, would tell their fan base they are running up the white flag on the FBS dream. Apps administration has been kind of a loose cannon on this whole realignment issue, but even they wouldn't go through the monumental pain in the rear it would be to change conferences for a "short time."

Where in the world do you get that from? The committee recommended FBS, the administration and BOT OKed the pursuit of FBS, and twice now, App has come out and publicly stated that FBS was our goal, and that CUSA was our first choice. There have been zero other official statements. That sounds like the cannon is pretty well sighted in to me. Where is "loose cannon" warranted in that?

youwouldno
June 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
CAA football league is different than the CAA.

That's technically true, but in practice it probably doesn't matter. If the CAA football league disintegrates due to FBS moves, affiliate defections, etc., what will the remaining schools do? I don't think William & Mary is going to drop football, for instance. So it creates a lot of instability if the CAA football conference is on the ropes, which it really is already considering only 4 CAA members also belong to the football league.

If the CAA was some really amazing conference, the football problems would be one thing. But at this point the CAA is barely superior to the SoCon in terms of strength, having only a legacy TV deal that won't last and a presence in high-income northern markets (relevant mainly for expensive private schools). Taking out the three CAA members who have departed, here are the Sagarin conference ratings for the past 5 years in basketball:

........ SoCon CAA
2011-12: 24 22
2010-11: 19 14
2009-10: 17 18
2008-09: 24 15
2007-08: 13 15

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2012, 12:26 PM
There's nothing for App. in the CAA. It won't help them get to FBS any faster. It will raise travel costs. That, and the CAA south is getting crowded with good football teams as it is which will make it harder to get playoff games.

chattownmocs
June 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
This just screams jealousy. App State wouldn't be small potatoes to any FCS conference. 28,000-30,000 fans each home game would look good on TV for the CAA.

Pfft. 30,000 would look good for CUSA/SBC too.

Jealous of what? Them supposedly going to the CAA? Why in the world would that make Chattanooga jealous? Do you think we want to be in the CAA? We are where we want to be, we want to continue to excel where we are. This would be a basketball move, see 2 basketball schools and 1 football school just to sure things up.

The idea that the CAA wants App STate for anything other than football, or that they would allow them to play in a different football conference is amazingly laughable.

NHwildEcat
June 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
If true, this is a bad decision by the CAA and another showing of poor leadership by Yeager. When will it be enough for the CAA to demand that programs joining see this as a long term solution rather then a launching point for their desires to play FBS level football. Sure it would be fun and make the CAA better in football for a year or so, but App wants to play FBS there is no denying that and because of that they should hang out in the SoCon until their opportunity comes up.

Even though UNH is a football member only I am tired of seeing the football programs join or start-up just to run out with the first blonde they see.

Yeager and the AD's/President's need to get their **** together.

GlassOnion
June 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Jealous of what? Them supposedly going to the CAA? Why in the world would that make Chattanooga jealous? Do you think we want to be in the CAA? We are where we want to be, we want to continue to excel where we are. This would be a basketball move, see 2 basketball schools and 1 football school just to sure things up.

The idea that the CAA wants App STate for anything other than football, or that they would allow them to play in a different football conference is amazingly laughable.

you have to "excel" before you can "continue to excel." When is the last time chatty finihed even in the top 3?

Saint3333
June 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
you have to "excel" before you can "continue to excel." When is the last time chatty finihed even in the top 3?

Don't waste your time with this ut-k fan.

AppAlum2003
June 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Ugh... this whole situation is really starting to get embarrassing. Committee recommends going FBS... no one calls... switch FCS conferences? We're seriously not even good enough for the Sunbelt or MAC? Frustration is boiling over with me...

phoenix3
June 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Would the SoCon allow App to join a FBS conference for football only? The CAA would.

Read an interesting (somewhat long shot idea) that the MAC expands to 16 for football taking App, JMU, and UD. Academically it makes sense.

Again I don't see it happening but it's fun to discuss during the slow summer months.

Seriously? Why do you think the CAA wants App If not for football? I might see it the other way, where App plays football in the CAA & in another conference for other sports. The worth of App is in football.

asumike83
June 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Unless another moratorium on transitioning to FBS is implemented, I don't think Appalachian is going to leave the SoCon for another FCS conference. A $1 Million exit fee, more travel, ending series with long-standing conference rivals and the possibility that JMU/Delaware could bolt in the relatively near future make this move too risky in my opinion.

Just for the sake of argument, say that both JMU and Delaware follow ODU out the door to the FBS. Appalachian would then be in a football conference that is no better than the SoCon with more travel, no existing rivalries of any sort and a $1 Million bill to foot if they don't like it. I don't think that the ASU administration is going to make this decision based on basketball and from a football standpoint, the safest move is to stay put and see what shakes out.

appsfan
June 24th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Very reasonable post, asumike83, as usual.

Saint3333
June 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Don't waste your time with this ut-k fan.

Seriously? Why do you think the CAA wants App If not for football? I might see it the other way, where App plays football in the CAA & in another conference for other sports. The worth of App is in football.

You're right the other 130+ conference championship prove your point.

Go...gate
June 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Davidson would be a great addition to CAA basketball, and their academic standing can only help the broader perception of the conference.

fc97
June 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM
caa football is a different entity in name only. the same people run it, with the same issue of long term viability

also, people need to keep in mind that this is not an invite, this is coverage of who yeager told the socon they were contacting first, before the socon meetings.

130+ championships is fantastic. how many are in track? how many are counting regular season vs tournament? youre saying olympic sports matter now, just a week ago you were saying this is about basketball.

phoenix3
June 25th, 2012, 05:20 AM
With all due respect to the 130+ conference championships, the CAA is looking to shore up a conference. They will be looking for teams that will look good on their new TV contract. It seems that Their top priority is basketball due to their recent losses, then football then down the list maybe a little baseball then 50 feet of other non sports stuff like academics, desire to make an FCS commitment, market size, etc. Then they might be interested in some of the other sports programs. So, as great as the championships in track, women's basketball and wrestling may be, I seriously believe that they, altogether, don't represent a flicker compared to App's championships in football and basketball. Which is to say football. App's main worth to the CAA, it would appear to a logically thinking person, is their football.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM
You're right the other 130+ conference championship prove your point.

I'm sure the CAA is falling over themselves to add App's track program.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 07:32 AM
The hate is strong with you guys today. Keep it coming. Baseball has won over 30 games for 6 straight years, women's basketball has finished top 3 for 3 straight years, soccer is improving. This winter App had two All-America wrestlers (I know the CAA doesn't have wrestling), a NIT sweet 16 finish in WBB with a win over NCSU, and 3 innings away from a super regional with wins over Oklahome and UVA. Do you still believe App is just track (6 sports by the way) and football. Academically App fits in with the CAA as well.

App brings more of a market share from western NC than any SoCon team does their respective area, 100,000 alumni and 70% live within 3 hours of Boone. Remember I didn't say location I said market share, big difference.

I don't think App will consider joining but the recent comments seem to indicate a green eyed monster by some.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM
The hate is strong with you guys today. Keep it coming. Baseball has won over 30 games for 6 straight years, women's basketball has finished top 3 for 3 straight years, soccer is improving. This winter App had two All-America wrestlers (I know the CAA doesn't have wrestling), a NIT sweet 16 finish in WBB with a win over NCSU, and 3 innings away from a super regional with wins over Oklahome and UVA. Do you still believe App is just track (6 sports by the way) and football. Academically App fits in with the CAA as well.

App brings more of a market share from western NC than any SoCon team does their respective area, 100,000 alumni and 70% live within 3 hours of Boone. Remember I didn't say location I said market share, big difference.

I don't think App will consider joining but the recent comments seem to indicate a green eyed monster by some.

You get push back not because of some feigned envy, but because it is a poor argument to suggest that the CAA's interest (if there is any interest at all) is for App State's "total package." They are interested in football.

I'd be interested to see your support for the position that App claims most of the "market" of Western North Carolina.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Don't even bother. Most of these people know everything you're saying, but they choose to ignore it. All the facts and stats about ASU are no match for blind hatred by the green-with-envy crowd.

Better to just drop the following emoticron and continue to consistently beat all these people's schools in most every sport they play...

xcoffeex

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 08:16 AM
You get push back not because of some feigned envy, but because it is a poor argument to suggest that the CAA's interest (if there is any interest at all) is for App State's "total package." They are interested in football.

I'd be interested to see your support for the position that App claims most of the "market" of Western North Carolina.

They only shred of truth in this post revolves around the fact that football drives conference realignment.

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM

While App has a market in terms of alumni living close to the school, Paladin is right..you are wanted in the CAA for football. Not Basketball..maybe baseball, but football is what will drive you guys.

henfan
June 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Is a $1M exit fee really going to stop any school who wants to reclassify from relocating from the CAA? If that's even a slight consideration, the said school has no business even thinking about FBS FB. Reclassification would require an investment of millions more just to meet minimum NCAA requirements.

There's the possibility that the new conference, if they wanted the school badly enough, would pay some or all of the CAA exit fee for them.

As for App & the CAA, it could very well be a temporary move. With no FBS conference prospects on the table, just how long 'temporary' would be a question. Then there's the prospect of ASU being left behind in a depleted SoCon. They face the possibility of losing GSU to the FBS. Furman and/or Elon could move to CAA, with Davidson and/or Charleston. A lot of interesting questions for ASU to ponder.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Read what I wrote:

asucrutch23
June 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Do you not see how these 2 bolded statements are different things? He didn't claim that App claims "most of the market of WNC," simply that App brings more of a market share from WNC than any SoCon team does from their respective area.

I don't know for sure that App brings more of a market share from its area than any other SoCon team does from its respective area, and frankly don't know where to find those numbers. But stating what Saint stated is not near as farfetched as you made it out to be.

I honestly don't know what SoCon team could even come close to staking a claim to its market the way App can to WNC. If you can prove me wrong, I'd love to see the numbers. xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Read what I wrote:

That's like saying that the Luxembourg soccer league gets more of a market share of Luxembourg than the EPL. It may be true, but who cares? Nobody is trying to dominate the Luxembourg TV market.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Is a $1M exit fee really going to stop any school who wants to reclassify from relocating from the CAA? If that's even a slight consideration, the said school has no business even thinking about FBS FB. Reclassification would require an investment of millions more just to meet minimum NCAA requirements.

There's the possibility that the new conference, if they wanted the school badly enough, would pay some or all of the CAA exit fee for them.

It certainly would not stop any team currently in the CAA but as you mentioned, the costs of making the move are significant enough already. If moving to FBS is the plan, it does not make much sense from a business standpoint to pay the SoCon's exit fee and set yourself up for another $1M in the near future. To the best of my knowledge, the inviting conferences did not foot the bill for the exit fees to be paid by GA State, ODU or UMass. If there is no recent precedent for it, I would not count on anyone else covering that cost. Is it a large enough amount that it would force us to possibly decline an FBS offer for financial reasons? No, but as is the case with most non-BCS athletic departments, we are not in a position to eat $1M without good reason. There is also the added travel costs of flying all our non-revenue sports to Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

As for App & the CAA, it could very well be a temporary move. With no FBS conference prospects on the table, just how long 'temporary' would be a question. Then there's the prospect of ASU being left behind in a depleted SoCon. They face the possibility of losing GSU to the FBS. Furman and/or Elon could move to CAA, with Davidson and/or Charleston. A lot of interesting questions for ASU to ponder.

If Appalachian makes the move or gives serious consideration to it, I believe that would be the reason. Watching the SoCon getting gutted around us may change some minds but I believe that Davidson will be staying put and I don't see Furman leaving either. I think that Georgia Southern will be FBS at some point but we are further along in the process and it seems pretty unlikely that they would receive an invite before us. I do not want to see Elon/Charleston leave but their departures would not be enough to send ASU into panic mode.

Barring a moratorium on moving to FBS or a mass exodus from the SoCon, I think the chances of Appalachian leaving the SoCon for another FCS conference are minimal.

phoenix3
June 25th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Haha. Ok, let me say this another way: Any FCS conference would be thrilled to have App's football program. When a conference needs a replacement for two strong mid major men's basketball programs, which is what the CAA has openly said their primary focus is apon, do you think App is the school they would run to? If they were looking for a school that had overall sports program success, then why is Davidson the crown jewel in all of this?

Am I envious of App's football success over the last 10 years? Yep. Am I envious of your success on other programs? Maybe a little in WBB. Otherwise no. I couldn't care less about track and wrestling. The rest I'm comfortable with Elon's success. But it doesn't matter! We were talking about what the CAA wants from APP! The answer is football. You could have 1,130 conference championships in the same percentages per sport. It wouldn't change the point that the CAA wants App for football.

phoenix3
June 25th, 2012, 09:11 AM
The point being, does it make sense that the CAA would invite App to join knowing that football would be played elsewhere? Well, decide for yourself...

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
That's like saying that the Luxembourg soccer league gets more of a market share of Luxembourg than the EPL. It may be true, but who cares? Nobody is trying to dominate the Luxembourg TV market.

Last time I checked the CAA would not be able to add ACC or Big East programs. Therefore of the programs available to the CAA App does bring more market share than anyone.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Unrelated:

CUSA Comish:

"Q. How serious a candidate was Appalachian State for Conference USA membership, and is there a chance for the Mountaineers to join later?

“Appalachian is a fine university that reached out to us when they began to explore the possibility of FBS membership. They have aspirations of moving up to a higher platform, and I’m not comfortable talking about the details of that dialogue or anything in the future.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/24/3339618/c-usa-commissioner-pleased-with.html#storylink=cpy"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/24/3339618/c-usa-commissioner-pleased-with.html

I think our best bet is to go SBC and wait for a possible CUSA invite.

ABS: Anything but the SoCon

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
The point being, does it make sense that the CAA would invite App to join knowing that football would be played elsewhere? Well, decide for yourself...

Sounds like the CAA has decided. The CAA knows that App football (and maybe all sports) would be gone should an FBS invite materialize yet they still contacted them before other SoCon programs.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Do you not see how these 2 bolded statements are different things? He didn't claim that App claims "most of the market of WNC," simply that App brings more of a market share from WNC than any SoCon team does from their respective area.

I don't know for sure that App brings more of a market share from its area than any other SoCon team does from its respective area, and frankly don't know where to find those numbers. But stating what Saint stated is not near as farfetched as you made it out to be.

I honestly don't know what SoCon team could even come close to staking a claim to its market the way App can to WNC. If you can prove me wrong, I'd love to see the numbers. xnodx

There are no numbers, he just made it up. App has "market share" in one market- Boone- which is a tiny, irrelevant market. The hills of western NC are not a "market." Statesboro, Ga. is larger than Boone and I imagine GSU has a pretty decent following there.

I get that App fans are smarting over the lack of an FBS invite, but c'mon.

phoenix3
June 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
"Sounds like the CAA has decided. The CAA knows that App football (and maybe all sports) would be gone should an FBS invite materialize yet they still contacted them before other SoCon programs."

xrolleyesx Well, there it is...

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Sounds like the CAA has decided. The CAA knows that App football (and maybe all sports) would be gone should an FBS invite materialize yet they still contacted them before other SoCon programs.

You're just making stuff up. No point in that.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM
There are no numbers, he just made it up. App has "market share" in one market- Boone- which is a tiny, irrelevant market. The hills of western NC are not a "market." Statesboro, Ga. is larger than Boone and I imagine GSU has a pretty decent following there.

I get that App fans are smarting over the lack of an FBS invite, but c'mon.

I'm so freaking tired of this "market" talk... Yes, ASU is located in Boone, NC which is a small, ski resort area. I get that. But to say that ASU's only "market" is Boone is absurd. I live in Hickory, NC which is about an hour away from Boone and has a population of nearly 42,000. In fact, if you want to count the entire Unifour area (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unifour) you can make that number nearly 400,000 people. All of those people get ASU football on their local FM/AM radio stations on Saturdays.

That doesn't even count the number of ASU alumni that live in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh.

The ASU "market" has to be pretty strong when we're bringing in over 30,000 patrons a game.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Unrelated:

CUSA Comish:

"Q. How serious a candidate was Appalachian State for Conference USA membership, and is there a chance for the Mountaineers to join later?

“Appalachian is a fine university that reached out to us when they began to explore the possibility of FBS membership. They have aspirations of moving up to a higher platform, and I’m not comfortable talking about the details of that dialogue or anything in the future.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/24/3339618/c-usa-commissioner-pleased-with.html#storylink=cpy"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/24/3339618/c-usa-commissioner-pleased-with.html

It isn't our fault you guys peed in your cereal.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'm so freaking tired of this "market" talk... Yes, ASU is located in Boone, NC which is a small, ski resort area. I get that. But to say that ASU's only "market" is Boone is absurd. I live in Hickory, NC which is about an hour away from Boone and has a population of nearly 42,000. In fact, if you want to count the entire Unifour area (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unifour) you can make that number nearly 400,000 people. All of those people get ASU football on their local FM/AM radio stations on Saturdays.

That doesn't even count the number of ASU alumni that live in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh.

The ASU "market" has to be pretty strong when we're bringing in over 30,000 patrons a game.

No, it doesn't. Media numbers are evaluated on an entirely different scale. There is actual data on markets like Charlotte and App basically doesn't register at all.

Having a few percent just doesn't matter. No one will pay for that. Broadcast value comes from large shares in relevant markets. App has zero and that's why C-USA took a pass.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM
No, it doesn't. Media numbers are evaluated on an entirely different scale. There is actual data on markets like Charlotte and App basically doesn't register at all.

Having a few percent just doesn't matter. No one will pay for that. Broadcast value comes from large shares in relevant markets. App has zero and that's why C-USA took a pass.

So you're telling me that FIU, UNCC, UTSA and North Texas have large shares of their respective markets? It is about location and potential, not their existing market share. I do not claim the Charlotte market by any means. It will always be a UNC/ACC city but I don't think you can spend any significant amount of time here and say that Appalachian does not have a presence.

ThompsonThe
June 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Crap, crap, crap. Market doesn't mean anything if you don't have market share. App State has four different areas surrounding them that would be able to turn on about 3 1/2 million TV sets. We are more urban than a lot of schools in that respect. People make up crap all the time and then some dufas runs with it.
If people had rather turn on a TV and watch GaState instead of App State fine, but cannot imagine that.

And by the way, we do not want a CAA invitation and never have.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM

I can't wait for CUSA to fall flat on their faces with this whole "let's take the biggest markets possible" crap.

If the biggest markets made the best teams, UI-Chicago should be in the SEC.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM

BS!

If you quantify media mentions of ASU in the Charlotte Observer (and especially in the sprawling greater Charlotte area's papers in Gastonia, Monroe, Matthews Pineville, ect) along with TV/Radio mentions, you'd find a great deal of coverage. The same goes for merchandise sales. Go to any sports store in the Charlotte area malls and you will find just about all the ASU gear you could ever want.

Nothing in the realm of the ACC ect, but to say it wouldn't register at all is asinine.

What our administration has to overcome is the misconception that media value is entirely dependent on one central urban area adjacent to the school rather than several markets that ultimately add up the the same amount of interested publics/TV viewers ect. x number of people=x number of people.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
So you're telling me that FIU, UNCC, UTSA and North Texas have large shares of their respective markets? It is about location and potential, not their existing market share. I do not claim the Charlotte market by any means. It will always be a UNC/ACC city but I don't think you can spend any significant amount of time here and say that Appalachian does not have a presence.

Right, C-USA had to target potential rather than existing strength. I was commenting in general... the principle is the same either way.

Whether App has a presence in certain markets is not the question. Of course there are App fans in major NC cities. The question is, what percent of total TV viewers can App deliver on gameday? The answer is just too small for App to have broadcast value. I get why it's frustrating for App fans but it's just the way things are.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
You're just making stuff up. No point in that.

Does everyone (including the CAA) know that App would leave the FCS should an FBS invite materialize - Yes.

Did the CAA contact App before any other football playing SoCon member - Yes.

Which part did I make up?

Don't worry Furman if App says no you'll be contacted next most likely.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Does everyone (including the CAA) know that App would leave the FCS should an FBS invite materialize - Yes.

Did the CAA contact App before any other football playing SoCon member - Yes.

Which part did I make up?

Don't worry Furman if App says no you'll be contacted next most likely.

There is no indication the CAA contacted App before any other SoCon football member. There are a couple dubious reports concerning "formal contact," which is something else. The CAA has probably talked to all kinds of schools and there is no way to know the order of phone calls, nor is that probably of any significance. Maybe Yeager went alphabetically. You just don't know and shouldn't pretend otherwise.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Right, C-USA had to target potential rather than existing strength. I was commenting in general... the principle is the same either way.

Whether App has a presence in certain markets is not the question. Of course there are App fans in major NC cities. The question is, what percent of total TV viewers can App deliver on gameday? The answer is just too small for App to have broadcast value. I get why it's frustrating for App fans but it's just the way things are.

I think the frustration is teams like UNCC and GaSt for ASU fans...

Can anyone honestly tell me that the "locals" in Charlotte and Atlanta sit around on Saturday and say "hey, I wonder what's on the TV... hey look, UNCC (or GaSt) is on, I'll watch that instead of the SEC or ACC game on ABC/CBS/Whatever". It's just not happening. I live an hour away from Charlotte and work just outside of the city... of the population sample I know, probably 95% could care less about UNCC unless they went there.

bluehenbillk
June 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Personally I can't see the up-side in App moving to the CAA unless they thought the SoCon was going to ever fall apart & wanted it for security. Why they'd move to a tougher football conference & probably have less postseason appearances makes no sense.

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Unrelated:

CUSA Comish:

You aren't going SBC, Hoss. I hate to break it to you, but SBC is probably done taking schools.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM
You aren't going SBC, Hoss. I hate to break it to you, but SBC is probably done taking schools.

We've had probably five threads with App State fans coming to grips with the fact that they will be in the FCS for the foreseeable future. Market, not market, whatever. FBS conferences are not interested.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM

They're only done until they get raided again and realignment is far from over.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Let's all face reality. No matter how many times some random blog or 3rd rate media outlet mentions App State as having a small chance of moving somewhere, they aren't going anywhere. They are going to stay right where they are and continue to steadily decline.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Can anyone honestly tell me that the "locals" in Charlotte and Atlanta sit around on Saturday and say "hey, I wonder what's on the TV... hey look, UNCC (or GaSt) is on, I'll watch that instead of the SEC or ACC game on ABC/CBS/Whatever". It's just not happening. I live an hour away from Charlotte and work just outside of the city... of the population sample I know, probably 95% could care less about UNCC unless they went there.

NO!!! You must not read from the book!
http://www.filmsite.org/fotos/mummy10.jpg

(enter UNCC trolls)
What have we done
http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1999_The_Mummy/Thumb/999TMY_Jonathan_Hyde_006.jpg

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM
They're only done until they get raided again and realignment is far from over.

Alright, but what's today's date? I can do my knock knock joke...

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM
We've had probably five threads with App State fans coming to grips with the fact that they will be in the FCS for the foreseeable future. Market, not market, whatever. FBS conferences are not interested.

Saving quote...

Rekdiver
June 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Said the perrenial cellar dweller in the A10 and soon to be the sacrificial lamb in the CUSA

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
NO!!! You must not read from the book!
http://www.filmsite.org/fotos/mummy10.jpg

(enter UNCC trolls)
What have we done
http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1999_The_Mummy/Thumb/999TMY_Jonathan_Hyde_006.jpg

This honestly might be the best thing you have ever posted.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM

There's also an extent to which "market" really means travel accessibility. Ga. State will never be a big deal in Atlanta. Maybe they can do OK but it's basically a somewhat larger UAB.

If App was easy to travel to, C-USA may well have invited App even without media upside.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM
The best part is the idea that the SOCON isn't good enough for them. Which is interesting because they start really pushing to get out as soon as they are no longer on top.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/cae/lowres/caen15l.jpg

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 10:38 AM
There's also an extent to which "market" really means travel accessibility. Ga. State will never be a big deal in Atlanta. Maybe they can do OK but it's basically a somewhat larger UAB.

If App was easy to travel to, C-USA may well have invited App even without media upside.

Do you drive a skateboard?

fc97
June 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM
its like you guys dont read

theres nothing saying appalachian was contacted first over other football schools. it says that the caa told the socon it was contacting app, davidson and charleston and others. they were the only ones mentioned.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Saving quote...

I've said the exact same thing for years on this forum.

I realize that the FBS drum beat will continue from App State fans. The reality is college football just went through a monumental shift and FBS conferences were not interested in App State. You really can't spin it another way.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I realize that the FBS drum beat will continue from App State fans. The reality is college football just went through a monumental shift and FBS conferences were not interested in App State. You really can't spin it another way.

The shifting is a long way from over.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I've said the exact same thing for years on this forum.

We are on the edge of a complete overhaul of the BCS system and you still think movement is over....

CUSA grabbed every large market they could in a desperate effort to replace big markets they lost/copy the Big East in their "the bigger the market, the better the teams" trend. We haven't been passed up on by "every FBS conference." Cobb had one and only one FBS conference in mind and they got their fill on large markets for the time being. When the realization of CUSA addition trends finally hits Charlie Cobb, we'll find out how many other FBS conferences have no desire to add us.

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
We are on the edge of a complete overhaul of the BCS system and you still think movement is over....

CUSA grabbed every large market they could in a desperate effort to replace big markets they lost/copy the Big East in their "the bigger the market, the better the teams" trend. We haven't been passed up on by "every FBS conference." Cobb had one and only one FBS conference in mind and they got their fill on large markets for the time being. When the realization of CUSA addition trends finally hits Charlie Cobb, we'll find out how many other FBS conferences have no desire to add us.

BCS overhaul = what for FCS schools wanting to go FBS??

Do you really think the BCS overhaul is going to give the SBC, WAC, CUSA, MAC opportunities to play for a NC? NO. Not at all. BCS is going to limit themselves to SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC-12 and MAYBE let the ACC and Big East play on occasion.

So you lose a chance to be national champion ever again for an opportunity to win in the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, which was only a big seller last year because UL-L played in it.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Do you really think the BCS overhaul is going to give the SBC, WAC, CUSA, MAC opportunities to play for a NC? NO. Not at all. BCS is going to limit themselves to SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC-12 and MAYBE let the ACC and Big East play on occasion.

It means that another chain of dominoes is set to fall. When the ACC/Big East schools who are serious about football are hit with the reality that they are on the outside looking in, they will be moving to the SEC/Big 10/Big 12. When that happens, the ACC will raid the Big East, the Big East will raid C-USA and then there will be some doors opening for FCS schools ready for the transition.

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM
It means that another chain of dominoes is set to fall. When the ACC/Big East schools who are serious about football are hit with the reality that they are on the outside looking in, they will be moving to the SEC/Big 10/Big 12. When that happens, the ACC will raid the Big East, the Big East will raid C-USA and then there will be some doors opening for FCS schools ready for the transition.

You missed the point, you aren't moving UP, you are moving LATERALLY by going to CUSA or SBC at this point.

..and please don't say CUSA would be great for App State basketball...your basketball program is horrible :)

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM

So you lose a chance to be national champion ever again for an opportunity to win in the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, which was only a big seller last year because UL-L played in it.

The creation of super conferences = trickle down. There are only so many glorified community colleges in big cities. Eventually conferences will have to move strength of program and fan following farther up the list of credentials. I'm not worried, just extremely impatient.

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
The creation of super conferences = trickle down. There are only so many glorified community colleges in big cities. Eventually conferences will have to move strength of program and fan following farther up the list of credentials. I'm not worried, just extremely impatient.

Once again you have missed the point as well. It's not moving up at this point as you cannot play for a national championship at that level. You can play for the NOLA bowl.

Congrats.

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
You missed the point, you aren't moving UP, you are moving LATERALLY by going to CUSA or SBC at this point.

..and please don't say CUSA would be great for App State basketball...your basketball program is horrible :)

Apphole just stated that with the overhauling of the BCS system, the movement is not over, which is 100% true. The comment that started this was that the FBS just went through a huge shift and nobody wanted to Appalachian. The counterpoint was that with a BCS overhaul in the works, the shifts occurring at the FBS level are just getting started.

It is a different argument all together as to whether you think moving to C-USA/SBC is a move up or not. The idea that we would not be playing for national championships anymore is a reality that every Appalachian fan has accepted at this point and the overhaul of the BCS system does not change that at all. It does, however, open the door for other FBS opportunities.

Our basketball program has been horrible the past couple of seasons and this is certainly not a basketball move, I agree.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
The NCAA can prevent the chain reaction with another moratorium.

Even if they don't, it's unlikely there will be consolidation into 4 super conferences. Five is probably the minimum and the TV networks won't want to lose out on the northeastern markets. SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC-12, ACC, with the Big East remaining as a basketball power with no football schools (raiding the A-10, which wouldn't cause a football chain reaction).

The Moody1
June 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Do you drive a skateboard?

Most times of the day, A team could fly into Hickory and make it to Boone quicker than flying into Atlanta and get to Ga. State.

He may have a hard time getting to Boone on his skateboard but he would get his time back in a hurry with his trip down the mountain. xlolx

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hickory? You're talking about Hickory? The only Hickory I know is Indiana and it doesn't even really exist. BE SERIOUS!

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Apphole just stated that with the overhauling of the BCS system, the movement is not over, which is 100% true. The comment that started this was that the FBS just went through a huge shift and nobody wanted to Appalachian. The counterpoint was that with a BCS overhaul in the works, the shifts occurring at the FBS level are just getting started.

It is a different argument all together as to whether you think moving to C-USA/SBC is a move up or not. The idea that we would not be playing for national championships anymore is a reality that every Appalachian fan has accepted at this point and the overhaul of the BCS system does not change that at all. It does, however, open the door for other FBS opportunities.

Our basketball program has been horrible the past couple of seasons and this is certainly not a basketball move, I agree.

Has every App fan accepted it? Or just the fans on AGS? Saying that every fan at App has accepted it is pretty ballsy when it might not be the case.

I guess after you've won one, to have the opportunity to play for nothing is the next step?

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hickory? You're talking about Hickory? The only Hickory I know is Indiana and it doesn't even really exist. BE SERIOUS!

Oh you know, the city with a metro of close to 400,000 that is 40 minutes away from Boone.

ninerID
June 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Said the perrenial cellar dweller in the A10 and soon to be the sacrificial lamb in the CUSA

since the 2005-06 season when we first joined the A10, we've won 44 regular season championships. No other school is even close. Basketball has sucked as of late, but as an athletics program overall, it's no contest.

But don't let facts get in the way.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Oh you know, the city with a metro of close to 400,000 that is 40 minutes away from Boone.

Metropolitan area-A metropolitan area is a region consisting of a densely populated urban core and its less-populated surrounding

So a "city" of 40,000 has a metro area of 400,000?

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Yes because Hickory's Metro is the Unifour. Which includes 4 cities and a whole lot of towns. There are 340,000 people in the Unifour. Which is all within an hour of Boone.

ninerID
June 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Metropolitan area-A metropolitan area is a region consisting of a densely populated urban core and its less-populated surrounding

You have to think like an app state person.

When you consider the belief that Boone part of the Charlotte market (and about 6 others apparently) because old people with Digital TV receivers can get their news from Charlotte (TriCities, Triad, Boston, DC....) and weather warnings, you start to think outwardly about everything. You also start using inflated math. 360k quickly becomes 400k, an hour drive sounds better if its 45 min, etc.

superman7515
June 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
11 pages and not a shred of evidence that anyone has gotten an invite. Winning.

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM
What kind of broadcast affiliate network does UNC-C have?

I'd wager smaller than App's.

Especially with WKBC being the "Home" of App Sports. It reaches 4 states and covers all the Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory and part of Greensboro area.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Mapquest "Atlanta Airport to Athens, GA" for me please.

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1550007

2011-12 APPALACHIAN ISP SPORTS NETWORK AFFILIATES
updated August 1, 2011

City
WKBC-FM 97.3* - North Wilkesboro, Hickory, Charlotte, High Country
WATA-AM 1450 - Boone
WFMR-AM 1230 - High Point, Greensboro
WZGV-AM 730 - Charlotte, Rock Hill, S.C., Salisbury
WZGM-AM 1350 - Black Mountain, Asheville
WPWT-AM 870 - Bristol, Tenn./Va., Johnson City, Tenn.
WTOE-AM 1470 - Spruce Pine
WCOG-AM 1320# - Greensboro, Winston-Salem
WDNC-AM 620# - Durham
WHKP-AM 1450# - Hendersonville
WLON-AM 1050# - Lincolnton
WSML-AM 1200# - Burlington, Greensboro
WZTK-FM 101.1# - Greensboro, Raleigh

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Has every App fan accepted it? Or just the fans on AGS? Saying that every fan at App has accepted it is pretty ballsy when it might not be the case.

I guess after you've won one, to have the opportunity to play for nothing is the next step?

I didn't say that every Appalachian fan supports the move and is on board with not playing for national championships. However, I think that every Appalachian fan who is even somewhat informed accepts the fact that if we move to C-USA/SBC/MAC, we will not be playing for national titles.

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I personally like being FCS. I'd like to see App in a conference with GaSo, Furman and Wofford, and a good portion of the CAA (Maine, NHU, UDel, JMU, Towson, W&M, UR, 'Nova).

The Moody1
June 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Do you come here every day so you can get schooled? Another example is Greenville, SC.

Population (2010)

• City 58,409
• Urban 400,492
• Metro 636,986

OL FU
June 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM

I don't really know but the City of Greenville is about 50,000 people with an MSA of close to 1M.

youwouldno
June 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Mapquest "Atlanta Airport to Athens, GA" for me please.

Georgia State is in Athens?

I hope you are not comparing App to the University of Georgia, whose sports media are worth many millions of dollars.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Basically whats happening is there is a chain of a bunch od small towns spread over 4 counties and Hickory happens to be the largest of these small towns. It is actually called the Unifour, or Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton metro area. I see nowhere where it is simply calld the Lenoir metro area, nor is it a traditional metro area.

91Niner
June 25th, 2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1550007

2011-12 APPALACHIAN ISP SPORTS NETWORK AFFILIATES
updated August 1, 2011

City
WKBC-FM 97.3* - North Wilkesboro, Hickory, Charlotte, High Country
WATA-AM 1450 - Boone
WFMR-AM 1230 - High Point, Greensboro
WZGV-AM 730 - Charlotte, Rock Hill, S.C., Salisbury
WZGM-AM 1350 - Black Mountain, Asheville
WPWT-AM 870 - Bristol, Tenn./Va., Johnson City, Tenn.
WTOE-AM 1470 - Spruce Pine
WCOG-AM 1320# - Greensboro, Winston-Salem
WDNC-AM 620# - Durham
WHKP-AM 1450# - Hendersonville
WLON-AM 1050# - Lincolnton
WSML-AM 1200# - Burlington, Greensboro
WZTK-FM 101.1# - Greensboro, Raleigh

You do realize that App's broadcasts get "bumped" OFTEN on MANY of those stations by other programming/teams/etc. right?

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Only with stations with # next to them.

Still pretty large for a FCS team.

91Niner
June 25th, 2012, 12:16 PM
What kind of broadcast affiliate network does UNC-C have?

I'd wager smaller than App's.

Especially with WKBC being the "Home" of App Sports. It reaches 4 states and covers all the Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory and part of Greensboro area.

The details of Charlotte's new network have not yet been released, but from a very reliable source the school has multiple "bidders" including all of the major college broadcasting networks. Charlotte did not have much of a network before (without football---no one would) but the school recently bought out the (last 1-2 years) holder of our broadcast rights (Signature Sports) so they are obviously confident in a good deal being made soon.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM

I hope you are not comparing App to the University of Georgia, whose sports media are worth many millions of dollars.

I was wondering the same thing. Georgia State is in downtown Atlanta, about 10 minutes from the busiest airport in the world. UGA is in Athens, which depending on traffic, is probably an 1:15-30 to the Atlanta airport.

UGA is a bad example. UGA has chairs in their football offices worth more than most FCS schools entire football budget.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
What have we done
The details of Charlotte's new network have not yet been released, but from a very reliable source the school has multiple "bidders" including all of the major college broadcasting networks. Charlotte did not have much of a network before (without football---no one would) but the school recently bought out the (last 1-2 years) holder of our broadcast rights (Signature Sports) so they are obviously confident in a good deal being made soon.

91Niner
June 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM
No, I know that 730AM would bump App for Charlotte (in our contract with them) but I don't think we had any conflicts so far (last year was Charlotte's first on 730).

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Good enough. I couldn't find details about UNC-C Sports Network so I figured someone here would know.

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm sure a lot of schools also have their own Online network. App's GOASU streams video and audio for every game possible (unless it's on TV)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Basically whats happening is there is a chain of a bunch od small towns spread over 4 counties and Hickory happens to be the largest of these small towns. It is actually called the Unifour, or Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton metro area. I see nowhere where it is simply calld the Lenoir metro area, nor is it a traditional metro area.

So that then means, logically, if you REALLY want that media market, you've got to get Lenoir-Rhyne, right?

bigCasu
June 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM
College football is about the regular season, not the postseason. 11 games > 1 to 4 games.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM

My point: It's difficult to get to Athens, GA too. But somehow the SEC makes it work.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Georgia State is in downtown Atlanta, about 10 minutes from the busiest airport in the world. UGA is in Athens, which depending on traffic, is probably an 1:15-30 to the Atlanta airport.

UGA is a bad example. UGA has chairs in their football offices worth more than most FCS schools entire football budget.

Not comparing the UGA and ASU Athletic Programs. You said it better than I could, though. In order for a team to get to Athens, they need to fly into ATL and then driver an hour and a half to Athens. Teams can fly into the TN Tri-Cities airport and take a bus to Boone in an hour and a half.

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM
My point: It's difficult to get to Athens, GA too. But somehow the SEC makes it work.

And by difficult you mean pressing your right foot down for <2 hours?

It's not hard to get to Boone. In fact, if two teams arrived at Charlotte Douglas airport, one heading to UNCC and one heading to App between 4-7 pm, the bus to Boone might make it there first.

49RFootballNow
June 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
And by difficult you mean pressing your right foot down for <2 hours?

It's not hard to get to Boone. In fact, if two teams arrived at Charlotte Douglas airport, one heading to UNCC and one heading to App between 4-7 pm, the bus to Boone might make it there first.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

The funny part is you probably believe that! xawesomex

Saint3333
June 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM
If he would have said one lands in Hickory or Tri-cities headed to Boone it would be a close race.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Shouldn't you be over on the CUSA boards?

</sourgrapes>

cbarrier90
June 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ehh, it's a message board. If people are looking for concrete news here they must be lost. The point of the board is for speculating and rumor-mongering.

14 pages later, are you happy with the direction of this "discussion?"

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM

The funny thing is, it's actually taken me two hours to get from 77 to the University area before. Charlotte traffic is the worst in the south east. But yes I was exaggerating of course. That post was obviously facetious.

Charlotte to Boone is a 2-hour drive. If that's difficult to certain people, those aren't the types to travel to any football game, let alone leave their township. Those types of people might make it to the VFW BINGO game every month or so. For us normal people, Boone is plenty accessible. That was my point.

91Niner
June 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM
The funny thing is, it's actually taken me two hours to get from 77 to the University area before. Charlotte traffic is the worst in the south east. But yes I was exaggerating of course. That post was obviously facetious.

Charlotte to Boone is a 2-hour drive. If that's difficult to certain people, those aren't the types to travel to any football game, let alone leave their township. Those types of people might make it to the VFW BINGO game every month or so. For us normal people, Boone is plenty accessible. That was my point.

The ONLY way that could be true is if there was an accident that stopped traffic for atleast 1 hour. You can go from 77 (Carowinds area even) to within site of UNC Charlotte without ever leaving an interstate (I-77, 85 and 485). No way that takes 2 hours even with "heavy" traffic.

superman7515
June 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Charlotte traffic is the worst in the south east.

Not far off...

America's 75 Worst Commutes (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/01/19/americas-75-worst-commutes.html)
#18 - Interstate 264 in Virginia Beach
#22 - Interstate 75 in Atlanta
#23 - Interstate 275 in Tampa
#35 - East Independence Blvd in Charlotte

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Not far off...

America's 75 Worst Commutes (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/01/19/americas-75-worst-commutes.html)

As a whole, there is no city I hate driving in more than Atlanta. Worst traffic I have ever had to to deal with, although I have never driven in L.A.

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Not far off...

I can confirm #35 - decided to grin and bear it and take 74 back from the beach this year... not the best decision in the world, but still quicker than any other route. Not only is 74 (Independence) bumper-to-bumper, but as soon as you get free, you're pretty lucky if some moron doesn't take your bumper with him/her on his/her way!

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM
As a whole, there is no city I hate driving in more than Atlanta. Worst traffic I have ever had to to deal with, although I have never driven in L.A.

At least in Atlanta when you get cut off the person actually DRIVES THE ****ING SPEED LIMIT

Apphole
June 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The ONLY way that could be true is if there was an accident that stopped traffic for atleast 1 hour. You can go from 77 (Carowinds area even) to within site of UNC Charlotte without ever leaving an interstate (I-77, 85 and 485). No way that takes 2 hours even with "heavy" traffic.

I was on 485 and never saw an accident scene. The volume was just that bad right under 77, right before the Pineville exit and especially at Johnston Rd. There may have been a wreck but I saw no aftermath nor did I hear about it on the radio.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
This thread is rapidly approaching the "jump the shark/Sun Belt invite for App tomorrow?" status.

Incidentally, can someone bump that again?

49RFootballNow
June 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Charlotte traffic is the worst in the south east.

So you have obviously never driven in Atlanta.........

Shouldn't you be over on the CUSA boards?

</sourgrapes>

And deny you my august presence? NEVER!

asumike83
June 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I actually had a job offer in Atlanta a few years back and among other factors related to job itself, the horrible traffic I dealt with in my time down there for all the interviews kept me from making the plunge. I would go insane if I had to spend time on I-75 in Atlanta on a daily basis. I can deal with it when making a Braves trip but I think I'd permanently be in a bad mood if I had to make that commute every day.

49RFootballNow
June 25th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Best way to see Atlanta is by air, as you fly over it.

Tuscon
June 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
That's why I live IN the city and just take MARTA. When looking for a job, I made it being on a MARTA line a priority(which is severely limiting). Also, if you don't live in the 'burbs the morning commute is pretty good in any direction. It's the afternoon that's killer.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
That's why I live IN the city and just take MARTA. When looking for a job, I made it being on a MARTA line a priority(which is severely limiting). Also, if you don't live in the 'burbs the morning commute is pretty good in any direction. It's the afternoon that's killer.

The "subway to nowhere."

T-Dog
June 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Maybe it's because I like driving, but I loved going down the Interstate in downtown Atlanta bumper to bumper at what felt like 90 mph. I stayed in a hotel at Norcross and drove downtown five days in a row. I still remember sprinting across Olympic Park at 11:30 pm after a concert at the Arena to beat some fast-approaching storms.

RadioFan
June 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe it's because I like driving, but I loved going down the Interstate in downtown Atlanta bumper to bumper at what felt like 90 mph.

If you were going 90 mph on an Atlanta interstate you were driving at 3am.

91Niner
June 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I was on 485 and never saw an accident scene. The volume was just that bad right under 77, right before the Pineville exit and especially at Johnston Rd. There may have been a wreck but I saw no aftermath nor did I hear about it on the radio.

That explains it....you went the wrong way. If you were on 485 near Pineville, the quickest way to UNC Charlotte (assuming it was near rush hour) would be 485 Inner back to 85 (or back to 77 and then 85) and straight to the school. The section of 485 from Pineville to Matthews (either direction) is by far the worst during rush hour(s).

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM
If you were going 90 mph on an Atlanta interstate you were driving at 3am.

No...I can quite easily make the claim of going between 85-90 mph on I-85 heading to the airport. Didn't think I was going to get my rental back in time!

WUTNDITWAA
June 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
This thread is rapidly approaching the "jump the shark/Sun Belt invite for App tomorrow?" status.

Incidentally, can someone bump that again?

Only after another thread gets started about who really should be in the Patriot League.

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2012, 08:17 AM
14 pages later, are you happy with the direction of this "discussion?"

No need to be happy or sad...it's a message board, who cares? What bearing does this "discussion" have on anything?

Eaglesrus
June 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM

I don't know about the VFW, but they pour a really good margarita at the American Legion where we play bingo.

Dane96
June 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Pointing above...why I live in a City.

Margarita's at a VL while playing Bingo.

Kidding...sort of.

TheRevSFA
June 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Knock Knock...

Eaglesrus
June 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Pointing above...why I live in a City.

Margarita's at a VL while playing Bingo.

Kidding...sort of.

Savannah's a city, you should visit sometime. The Legion is at Tybee (better known as the beach), however.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I think the official batting average for App rumors right now remains at .000.

The Cats
June 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
If you are eagerly awaiting news of who will be admitted to the CAA, you just might have a little wait ahead of you.

It will probably be around Christmas (yes Christmas) before the CAA announces any new members, according to Gary Miller, the Chancellor of UNCW (& recently named chairman of the CAA's Council of Presidents)

"The presidents work as a fairly cohesive committee. We have our views and express them, but we can reach consensus. I'll help that process by organizing discussion and then help the commissioner when it's time for potential members."

Multiple schools close to UNCW – Davidson, College of Charleston and Elon, among others – have been rumored to be on the CAA's wish list. Miller said it's possible they could all arrive just in time for Santa Claus.

"Christmas is a realistic goal," he said of a timeframe for announcing new members.

"It's a difficult question to answer, because the schools we want to talk to have time constraints, they're in conferences already, they have exit strategies. We would like to see some things happen quickly – and definitely by next year."

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120624/ARTICLES/120629835?p=1&tc=pg (go to page #2 of the article)

asumike83
June 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I think the official batting average for App rumors right now remains at .000.

It was never rumored that we were going to the CAA, only reported that they contacted us about membership. Do you think that is false?

fc97
June 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
the uncw prez says that an announcement for plan will be christmas. this is no different than announcing pitt and syracuse for the acc but annoucing timeline and plan later

walliver
June 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM
the schools we want to talk to have time constraints

Sounds like the CAA hasn't talked to anyone yet ... or more likely, the UNC-W Chancellor is completely out of the loop.

whitey
June 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Report: SoCon issues July 4 deadline for College of Charleston’s decision regarding CAA (http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120628/PC20/120629183/report-socon-issues-july-4-deadline-for-college-of-charleston-s-decision-regarding-caa)

With an apparent deadline looming, College of Charleston officials remain tight-lipped on the school’s future in the Southern Conference.

The conference reportedly has given three of its member schools until next week to declare their intentions of staying in the SoCon or leaving for the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Times-News of Burlington, N.C, reported that the SoCon has given a tentative deadline of July 4 for the College of Charleston, Appalachian State and Davidson.

Looks like some decisions might be made in the next few days one way or the other.

rokamortis
June 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Elon just announced yesterday they will be joining the A Sun as an affiliate for women's lacrosse to start in 2014. I may be wrong but I assume they wouldn't make that announcement if they were still seriously considering CAA membership - which sponsors the sport.

NHwildEcat
June 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Elon just announced yesterday they will be joining the A Sun as an affiliate for women's lacrosse to start in 2014. I may be wrong but I assume they wouldn't make that announcement if they were still seriously considering CAA membership - which sponsors the sport.

Yeah, would have to believe Elon is not in the running...

NHwildEcat
June 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Report: SoCon issues July 4 deadline for College of Charleston’s decision regarding CAA (http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120628/PC20/120629183/report-socon-issues-july-4-deadline-for-college-of-charleston-s-decision-regarding-caa)

Looks like some decisions might be made in the next few days one way or the other.

Good! The sooner this begins to shake the sooner we know where eastern college football stands.

danefan
June 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
If they add App State, who else joins in football? 9 is a great size, except if you have 4 known FBS flight risks in your league.

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

Add Stony Brook and you get to 10, but that doesn't solve the flight risk problem.

Convince URI to stay and add Albany and you have 12.

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Albany
Stony Brook
URI

Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

But that awkwardly splits UD and Nova.

I guess we'll see in the near future, but adding App State now buys some more time.

whitey
June 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Interesting. I agree with you. If they felt they were still in the running for a CAA spot they wouldn't have announced this.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2012, 09:08 AM
If they add App State, who else joins in football? 9 is a great size, except if you have 4 known FBS flight risks in your league.

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

Add Stony Brook and you get to 10, but that doesn't solve the flight risk problem.

Convince URI to stay and add Albany and you have 12.

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Albany
Stony Brook
URI

Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

But that awkwardly splits UD and Nova.

I guess we'll see in the near future, but adding App State now buys some more time.

Why would App leave rivalries with Furman, GSU and Wofford as well as regional games with Western and UTC in order to make a lateral move to the Yankee conference and play games in Maine and New Hampshire?

And their stated goal is an invitation to an I-A conference.

You gotta be kidding me.

Apphole
June 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Why would App leave rivalries with Furman, GSU and Wofford as well as regional games with Western and UTC in order to make a lateral move to the Yankee conference and play games in Maine and New Hampshire?

And their stated goal is an invitation to an I-A conference.

You gotta be kidding me.

Here here

danefan
June 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I have no clue why App would move to the CAA, but I wouldn't have expected the CAA to even extend an offer if App wasn't seriously considering it.

ElonFirefighter
June 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Its hard to say. We need a home for the lacrosse team if no invite is been sent yet then we must jump on the oppertunity of the A-Sun. If we have to compeat a few years before bringing that one team over so be it. But to sit there idel an wait is not an option. Also furman had an invite to the A-Sun.

asumike83
June 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
The travel is likely a big sticking point, given how much our administration has harped on low travel costs and regional rivals. JMU would provide the regional rival but the football conference would span from South Carolina to Maine with these additions. More importantly, non-revenue sports would span from South Carolina to Massachusetts. I'm sure it would be split into divisions but it would still be a considerable increase from the SoCon where every school is a bus trip. Plus, given all the FBS flight risks already in the CAA, it is anybody's guess as to what the conference will look like in only a few years. Risky move in my opinion, and one that would require ASU to completely give up on FBS football which seems unlikely.

Apphole
June 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Its hard to say. We need a home for the lacrosse team if no invite is been sent yet then we must jump on the oppertunity of the A-Sun. If we have to compeat a few years before bringing that one team over so be it. But to sit there idel an wait is not an option. Also furman had an invite to the A-Sun.

You been drinking?

aceinthehole
June 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

If they get App St. it makes sense to stay at 9 - but I doubt that happens. Although, CAA Football would have some schools with FBS intentions, I think they can just replace those schools as they exit the league. It may take 4 or more years before any of those schools actually get an FBS invite.

If they really wanted to get to 12 for football, they could add 3 FB-only members.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I have no clue why App would move to the CAA, but I wouldn't have expected the CAA to even extend an offer if App wasn't seriously considering it.

App. moving to the CAA makes even less sense.

ElonFirefighter
June 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
You been drinking?

Yes, SHhhhh dont tell my boss

Apphole
June 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, SHhhhh dont tell my boss

Well hopefully you're not emailing him today with all those typos. Geez.

Do firemen use email?

MplsBison
June 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Well we I don't think they officially have. This is just a "report", after all.

My guess is that CAA has contacted App about joining. But like I said, it really makes no sense given App's near term goal.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
PSSSSSST - hey CAA, I know a team that you can have for your football conference!

Youngstown State!

Get them out of the MVFC, thank you very much.

ElonFirefighter
June 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Do firemen use email?

Email, text, anything to get through a 24 hour shift. BTW I’m a volunteer Firefighter; it’s the office job that pays the bills. Good news is the boss is away so the kids will play.

AppMan
June 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Trust me on this. My source is impeccable. There have been NO official invitations handed out by the CAA. There have not been any campus visits. Some feelers have been sent out, waters have been tested and informal discussions taken place. Some gentleman agreements may actuially have been reached, but don't expect to hear anything "official" until September or October.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Trust me on this. My source is impeccable. There have been NO official invitations handed out by the CAA. There have not been any campus visits. Some feelers have been sent out, waters have been tested and informal discussions taken place. Some gentleman agreements may actuially have been reached, but don't expect to hear anything "official" until September or October.

Isn't the SoCon forcing the issue by making these schools commit to staying or leaving by next week?

In that case, I can't see any way that App doesn't commit to staying in the SoCon, contingent upon receiving an offer to join the CUSA or Sun Belt sometime in the future.

rokamortis
June 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Isn't the SoCon forcing the issue by making these schools commit to staying or leaving by next week?

Does the alleged ultimatum have any teeth? What would stop a school from declaring their allegiance one week and then leaving the week after?

I don't buy the ultimatum scenario - the conference has no real leverage.

asumike83
June 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Does the alleged ultimatum have any teeth? What would stop a school from declaring their allegiance one week and then leaving the week after?

I thought the same thing. What is the SoCon going to do about it? Kick out Davidson, Charleston and/or Appalachian if they don't give a response by July 4? If the ultimatum stated in the article really is being given by the SoCon, I see no way they can enforce it without getting rid of valuable members that would possibly (or most likely, in the case of ASU/Davidson) have stayed otherwise.

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I thought the same thing. What is the SoCon going to do about it? Kick out Davidson, Charleston and/or Appalachian if they don't give a response by July 4? If the ultimatum stated in the article really is being given by the SoCon, I see no way they can enforce it without getting rid of valuable members that would possibly (or most likely, in the case of ASU/Davidson) have stayed otherwise.

Probably lacks teeth, but as a measure where the conference can address other teams intentions is valuable.

I've always taken the position that if you are leaving, then leave. Let everyone else worry about how to carry on without you.

AppAlum2003
June 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Probably lacks teeth, but as a measure where the conference can address other teams intentions is valuable.

I've always taken the position that if you are leaving, then leave. Let everyone else worry about how to carry on without you.

Queue the "Boone" jokes.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Maybe it doesn't force them to be kicked out, but it will get press.

Sounds like the CAA wanted to go hush-hush and not let the cat out of the bag until later this year. SoCon fights back by making it public news now.

SpiritCymbal
June 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Perhaps the SoCon would allow those schools to leave without paying the exit fee (or a reduced cost of the exit fee) if they do so by July 4th but will charge them full boat if they leave after July 4th?

asumike83
June 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Perhaps the SoCon would allow those schools to leave without paying the exit fee (or a reduced cost of the exit fee) if they do so by July 4th but will charge them full boat if they leave after July 4th?

Honestly, I could see that if it were only Appalachian. Since we are a bit of a flight risk already, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that so they could move on. However, I don't think they want to give Davidson/Charleston any sort of incentive to leave.

AppMan
June 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think all parties involved have enough incentives to bolt.

SpiritCymbal
June 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Honestly, I could see that if it were only Appalachian. Since we are a bit of a flight risk already, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that so they could move on. However, I don't think they want to give Davidson/Charleston any sort of incentive to leave.

Agreed. That was the only thing I could think of as to why the SoCon would entertain the idea of an ultimatum.

superman7515
July 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
CAA Realignment: Yeager Expects CAA Realignment, Expansion in Next Couple of Weeks (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-caa-yeager-realign-update-20120706,0,541610.story)

Expect the Colonial Athletic Association to unveil its new look in the coming weeks, commissioner Tom Yeager said, as he and his conference mates enjoy a blessedly private respite from the public anguish and upheaval of the previous couple of months.

"We're making progress," Yeager said. "But at this time of year, you're working around other people's schedules, with things like graduations and vacations. It slows some things down, but everyone still understands how important it is."

Yeager, as expected, wouldn't bite on specifics of membership discussion or possible candidates. He wouldn't even get into the north-south or basketball-football dynamics of an all-sports conference that, for one more year, stretches from Boston to Atlanta, and a football league that extends from Maine to Atlanta.

"We've told people all along that we're not trying to establish any artificial deadlines," Yeager said. "You want to have everybody ask and answer all the questions. We're all agreed that at the end of this thing, we want everyone to make a decision that they're comfortable with and put it behind them and move forward."

The departures of VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia State leave the CAA with nine all-sports members. The football league is down to seven schools, with ODU, Georgia State and Rhode Island headed elsewhere.

Though the CAA figures to absorb schools both north and south of its mid-Atlantic base in attempts to shore up both marquee sports, Yeager said that the primary criteria for expansion candidates is "institutional fit."

Seawolf97
July 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I susect no later than mid August we will know all the details.

Sandlapper Spike
July 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I susect no later than mid August we will know all the details.

Sounds about right. I noticed in the body of the story it said "in the coming weeks", but the headline said "in next couple of weeks". Not quite the same thing, necessarily.

danefan
July 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Though the CAA figures to absorb schools both north and south of its mid-Atlantic base in attempts to shore up both marquee sports, Yeager said that the primary criteria for expansion candidates is "institutional fit."

"We're all different in a lot of ways, but we have a lot of institutional similarities, as well," he said.

He talked in general terms about bringing in schools that will suddenly become part of a different geographic footprint than that to which they're accustomed (Southern Conference? Big South? America East?).

There are academic components, he said, as well as competitive factors, in areas of talent, track record and facilities.

"These are schools that want to compete, that want to be successful," he said. "They want to be able to match the resources and some of the bells and whistles that the schools they'll be competing against have. They don't want to be just another body on the schedule."

Some interesting tidbits in there.

clenz
July 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Long shot here...but...

COME ON YSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAA seems to be okay with a massive footprint. The MVFC/MVC likes the small footprint and loves the perfect round robin scheduling. With USD joining this year the scheduling doesn't fit perfectly anymore. Drop YSU and get back to it!

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
With you a million percent clenz - YSU, get your butts over to the CAA football conference.

That would free up the possibility for a new Summit League member to get a spot in the MVFC.

clenz
July 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM
With you a million percent clenz - YSU, get your butts over to the CAA football conference.

That would free up the possibility for a new Summit League member to get a spot in the MVFC.
Or it would keep the conference at 9 leaving a perfect round robin schedule...which the league has said it wants. That's why the MVC all sport conference doesn't want to move from 10 members as it leaves perfect scheduling for all other sports

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Or it would keep the conference at 9 leaving a perfect round robin schedule...which the league has said it wants. That's why the MVC all sport conference doesn't want to move from 10 members as it leaves perfect scheduling for all other sports

Sounds like the MVC schools don't want the Summit schools to pull even in the number of MVFC teams!

I guarantee NDSU-SDSU-USD-Western Ill-Eastern Ill would win 3 of 5 minimum from UNI-SIU-IL St-In St-MO St. xnodx xnodx xnodx

EIU would have built in rivalries with the Illinois schools in the MVFC as well as Indiana St. They'd be a great addition to the Summit and be a perfect travel partner for Western Ill. They don't belong in the Kentucky-Tenn-Alabama conference (OVC)

clenz
July 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Sounds like the MVC schools don't want the Summit schools to pull even in the number of MVFC teams!

I guarantee NDSU-SDSU-USD-Western Ill-Eastern Ill would win 3 of 5 minimum from UNI-SIU-IL St-In St-MO St. xnodx xnodx xnodx

EIU would have built in rivalries with the Illinois schools in the MVFC as well as Indiana St. They'd be a great addition to the Summit and be a perfect travel partner for Western Ill. They don't belong in the Kentucky-Tenn-Alabama conference (OVC)

No....it has to do with determining a true champion since conference title game aren't allowed.

What if ISUb and UNI both go undefeated in conference play this year? They don't play eachother...who wins the conferece?

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM
No....it has to do with determining a true champion since conference title game aren't allowed.

What if ISUb and UNI both go undefeated in conference play this year? They don't play eachother...who wins the conferece?

Irrelevant in I-AA conferences. Both are guaranteed spots in the playoffs and seeding wouldn't change if one was the outright champion or not.

clenz
July 7th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Irrelevant in I-AA conferences. Both are guaranteed spots in the playoffs and seeding wouldn't change if one was the outright champion or not.
Not completely irrelevant...but I'll let you think so.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Not completely irrelevant...but I'll let you think so.

Only reason I-AA conference champion designation would matter is to get the auto-bid.

In your scenario, both UNI and IN St would make the playoffs and the seeding those teams received would not be affected by which one was technically designated the conference champion. So it's completely irrelevant.

That's correct. Live with it and move on.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 7th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Long shot here...but...

COME ON YSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAA seems to be okay with a massive footprint. The MVFC/MVC likes the small footprint and loves the perfect round robin scheduling. With USD joining this year the scheduling doesn't fit perfectly anymore. Drop YSU and get back to it!

I'd be happy to see YSU join the CAA, but why does the MVFC want them out? Is it just the location of the school? YSU had a lot of success in the not so distant past, thought it is a bit odd there don't seem to be many YSU posters here.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'd be happy to see YSU join the CAA, but why does the MVFC want them out? Is it just the location of the school? YSU had a lot of success in the not so distant past, thought it is a bit odd there don't seem to be many YSU posters here.

Before they were in the Gateway/MVFC and not since The Vest headed west.

344Johnson
July 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Before they were in the Gateway/MVFC and not since The Vest headed west.

I still like having Youngstown in the conference. Good football school.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
YSU came into the leage in 1997, and at point the league had only 7 teams. WKU came in in 01 (left in 06). For a long time the MVFC only had 7 and 8 teams. Well, with the requird number of teams required for an AL outliers like WKU and YSU were needed in case something crazy happened, and WKU realy wasn't that much of an outlier. With the addition of the 3 Dakota schools that puts the league at 10 teams - which is great and seems like a very stable conference as there are teams that "Want" to go FBS, but none of them are really pursuing it that hard.

The MVFC, while separate from the MVC, is run by people from the MVC (and is really just the step brother of the MVC). That is significant in the fact that the MVC is very much in favor or having a "perfect scheduling number". 10 teams for basketball/volleyball as it allows for perfect travel partner situations and allows for all teams to be played twice. That same attitude is carried over tot he MVFC, and 10 isn't a good scheduling number. I know MLPS disagrees with me on this (even though it is the stance of the conference) BUT by having a perfect schedule it allows for a true champion which you don't get with double digit teams. Ending up with a shared title is very different if the two teams have played each other and if the teams haven't.

Now, there isn't a "push" to have them leave the conference. However, since the announcement of USD there seems to be people being more vocal about the lack of support for YSU. Their fans constantly complain about a lack of respect for their history, they admit the don't fit in with the MVFC schools, the fact they ARE a massive outlier and the conference has said they like a "tight" footprint., their fans don't want FCS they want the MAC, they have little man syndrome from being in Ohio (I'd be angry too if we were left behind but Akron, BGSU, Kent St, Miami, Ohio, and Toledo were all in my state as well I guess - along with fOSU and Cinci), the CAA has shown they are willing to be a "stepping stone" for the FBS while the MVFC wants no part of it.

As for their success - they really haven't had it since they joined the MVFC....ESPECIALLY since the turn of the century. Their average finish since joining the conference is 4th (Admittedly not that bad). HOWEVER, since Tressel left they have fallen back by quite a bit. They've finished in last place as many times as they've won the title outright. They've also finished in the bottom half of the MVFC 7 times (15 seasons). They've been to the playoffs just twice since Jimmy left - during 2 of UNI's worst two regular seasons in the last decade (although one year did result in a magical playoff run)

Teams that don't see them every year still think of the mid 90's, but the fact is YSU isn't even close to that anymore. To put them in CAA terms....YSU:MVFC::JMU:CAA. A couple good years that get remembered over all the bad - but mostly just average.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well first of all, keep in mind that Youngstown is no more likely to join the CAA than it is the MVC.

It's a member of the Horizon League and that's its only option in the foreseeable future unless the MAC takes them for all sports.

I would like to see them move from the MVFC to the CAA FC. They're in eastern Ohio, meaning they're basically Pennsylvania away from the East coast. They'd fit in well with Delaware, Nova and the Virginia schools for football. They're eastern time zone as well.

Granted Indiana St is also eastern time zone, but it's on the western border of Indiana, some counties in western IN do observe central time and lastly any team in the MVC that wants scholarship varsity football is automatically in the MVFC.

Otherwise, the MVFC is a nice, central timezone conference.

There are two main reasons why greater than 9 members correct and acceptable for the MVFC.

1) designating a technical conference champion is utterly useless in I-AA. Any shared champions of the MVFC will automatically be in the playoffs and their seeds won't be affected by which is the technical champion.

2) the Illinois and Indiana St schools don't want to have to travel to the Dakotas twice a year. That can't happen with a round robin. Having 10 members or better yet 12 members allows a more regional scheduling.

Barring any chance of Drake moving over to the MVFC, Eastern Illinois is the correct choice for the Summit and the MVFC - or do I dare say, the Summit football conference??? xnodx xnodx

Longhorn
July 8th, 2012, 03:04 PM
To put them in CAA terms....YSU:MVFC::JMU:CAA. A couple good years that get remembered over all the bad - but mostly just average.

You obviously don't know a damn thing about JMU or the CAA. For the record, JMU has posted more CAA wins over the past 9 years (tied with New Hampshire w/49, UD is next with 43 wins) than any other CAA program, with 4 playoffs appearances and a NC. That's far cry from "average"...which is a label that better fits UNI and its lack of a NC and its tin can field house.

Postscript Edit: During that same time time period, UNI posted 52 wins in a weaker conference and YSU 30.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 03:20 PM
You obviously don't know a damn thing about JMU or the CAA. For the record, JMU has posted more CAA wins over the past 9 years (tied with New Hampshire w/49, UD is next with 43 wins) than any other CAA program, with 4 playoffs appearances and a NC. That's far cry from "average"...which is a label that better fits UNI and its lack of a NC and its tin can field house.

Postscript Edit: During that same time time period, UNI posted 52 wins in a weaker conference and YSU 30.

MVFC is a stronger conference than CAAFC. Would've taken 6 of 10 in a crossover.

Or didn't you notice when JMU had it's throat stomped in Fargo?

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM

JMU wins since 2000 5 6 2 5 7 6 1 7 9 8 12 6 6 8

I'm glad they can win the CAA,because apparently those are the only games they win.]

One or two good years surrounded by a crap ton of mediocrity....

Lehigh Football Nation
July 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Youngstown is no more likely to join the CAA than it is the MVC. They're in eastern Ohio, meaning they're basically Pennsylvania away from the East coast. They'd fit in well with Delaware, Nova and the Virginia schools for football. They're eastern time zone as well.

I think to myself, Mpls' posts can get any dumber, can they? Then he posts this beauty.

Yes, steel-town Youngstown is a lot like Delaware, Villanova, Richmond and William & Mary. xlolx It probably doesn't need to be said, but I can't think of a worse institutional fit for those schools than YSU.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think to myself, Mpls' posts can get any dumber, can they? Then he posts this beauty.

Yes, steel-town Youngstown is a lot like Delaware, Villanova, Richmond and William & Mary. xlolx It probably doesn't need to be said, but I can't think of a worse institutional fit for those schools than YSU.

....BUT SERIOUSLY.....You can have them.

*I realize you aren't in the CAA, but still...

Hell, you in the PL can have them too

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the daily non-sequitor troll post.

It's a football-only conference, the CCAFC. Not the all-sports conference. I made that crystal clear, of course.

No need for institutional matches in that case. New Hampshire and Maine match with Richmond? Nope. Troll.

The city has anything do with it, other than purely from a geographical/logistical point of view? Nope. Troll.

ccd494
July 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Youngstown State? Are their diplomas written in crayon or have they upgraded to a Sharpie yet?

There's no way W&M, Richmond, Villanova want to be associated with that glorified trade school. Heck, I don't want MAINE associated with that pre-school equivalent.

State Line Liquors
July 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM
The CAA is looking for all sport members, that meet the institutional profile. Youngstown adds nothing from an academic or basketball prestige standpoint. Additionally, they really don't make life much easier from a travel standpoint for anyone currently in the league.

I realize nobody is seriously suggesting YSU is even under consideration for the CAA, but I just felt the need to reinforce how unrealistic they are. They ain't even in the discussion.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
The CAA is looking for all sport members, that meet the institutional profile. Youngstown adds nothing from an academic or basketball prestige standpoint. Additionally, they really don't make life much easier from a travel standpoint for anyone currently in the league.

I realize nobody is seriously suggesting YSU is even under consideration for the CAA, but I just felt the need to reinforce how unrealistic they are. They ain't even in the discussion.

****...we're sick of 'em....

Take 'em for a couple years until they decide to go to the MAC

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the daily non-sequitor troll post.

It's a football-only conference, the CCAFC. Not the all-sports conference. I made that crystal clear, of course.

No need for institutional matches in that case. New Hampshire and Maine match with Richmond? Nope. Troll.

The city has anything do with it, other than purely from a geographical/logistical point of view? Nope. Troll.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23171848.jpg

whitey
July 9th, 2012, 08:34 AM

I'm glad they can win the CAA,because apparently those are the only games they win.]

What are you talking about? In the last 10 years JMU has gone to the playoffs 5 times and won a National Championship. They have one season below .500 (and that happened in 2002). 80-43 overall for a .650 winning percentage. 55-27 in conference play for a .670 winning percentage. 99% of I-AA teams would kill for that record. That's anything but a "crap ton of mediocrity".

2011: 8-5 (5-3) *
2010: 6-5 (3-5)
2009: 6-5 (4-4)
2008: 12-2 (8-0) *
2007: 8-4 (6-2) *
2006: 9-3 (7-1) *
2005: 7-4 (5-3)
2004: 13-2 (7-1) * [National Champions]
2003: 6-6 (5-4)
2002: 5-7 (5-4)

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Youngstown State? Are their diplomas written in crayon or have they upgraded to a Sharpie yet?

There's no way W&M, Richmond, Villanova want to be associated with that glorified trade school. Heck, I don't want MAINE associated with that pre-school equivalent.

Good thing Youngstown is in the Horizon League, then. And that won't be changing any time soon.

Now about the CCA FC....

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Weird! A Delaware fan speaking on behalf of what the CAA shall be doing?? Who would've thunk it!

Sorry Delaware, your days of playing god in the CAA are over. The conference will be adding basketball schools in the south. END

The separate entity, CAA FC is another issue entire. One that is not concerned about institutional fit, obviously, as Maine has nothing in common with Richmond or W&M.

They fit perfectly with the other football programs and they're an eastern team, the only requisites.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Sorry Delaware, your days of playing god in the CAA are over. The conference will be adding basketball schools in the south. END

Oh, irony. Those who cast stones at others by (incorrectly) calling their posts non-sequiturs thus issues a completely unsubstantiated non-seqitur of his own.

I would also like to point out that the distance between "eastern teams" in Orono, Maine and Youngstown, Ohio is 839 miles, or a 14 1/2 hour drive.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Oh, irony. Those who cast stones at others by (incorrectly) calling their posts non-sequiturs thus issues a completely unsubstantiated non-seqitur of his own.

I would also like to point out that the distance between "eastern teams" in Orono, Maine and Youngstown, Ohio is 839 miles, or a 14 1/2 hour drive.

Kinda like a drive across Texas

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Orono, MA to Williamsburg, VA - 842 mi.

Yep, complete mismatch.

And only you, a complete twit, would take the most extreme case possible to make it appear like you were making a lucid argument without actually making anything of the sort (something you're a master of). Luckly I was able to quickly expose it for the fraud it is.

henfan
July 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
It's too bad that AGS mods have allowed this board to be co-opted by a few trolls. xthumbsdownx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Orono, MA to Williamsburg, VA - 842 mi.

Yep, complete mismatch.

And only you, a complete twit, would take the most extreme case possible to make it appear like you were making a lucid argument without actually making anything of the sort (something you're a master of). Luckly I was able to quickly expose it for the fraud it is.

Work out that non-sequitur thing yet? I'll wait.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM
It's too bad that AGS mods have allowed this board to be co-opted by a few trolls. xthumbsdownx

Yes, it's terrible.

State Line Liquors
July 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Weird! A Delaware fan speaking on behalf of what the CAA shall be doing?? Who would've thunk it!

The separate entity, CAA FC is another issue entire. One that is not concerned about institutional fit, obviously, as Maine has nothing in common with Richmond or W&M.

They fit perfectly with the other football programs and they're an eastern team, the only requisites.

xlolx

Save yourself a few posts here for a topic that you might know something about. You'll be at 9k in no time if you stick to the thread with the videos about the lovely quilt on the floor of your football arena.

Longhorn
July 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Hey, remind everyone on AGS, where is UNI's National Championship?

asumike83
July 9th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Marques Murrell knocked it loose and Jason Hunter ran into the end zone with it. :D

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Sitting in Fargo on loan...we haven't been in the FCS long enough yet.

Skjellyfetti
July 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Marques Murrell knocked it loose and Jason Hunter ran into the end zone with it. :D

xlolx xsmileyclapx

FormerPokeCenter
July 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM
LOL, ouch....that was brutal to read....As a McNeese fan, with two trips to the dance, but no hardware to show for it...I feel their pain!

asumike83
July 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
LOL, ouch....that was brutal to read....As a McNeese fan, with two trips to the dance, but no hardware to show for it...I feel their pain!

May have been a low blow but I just could NOT resist!

Only ribbing the Northern Iowa folks a bit. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed all the UNI fans in Chattanooga. Met some great Panthers fans on that trip, very gracious before and after the game.

TheRevSFA
July 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Knock knock...

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Knock knock...

Who's there?

TheRevSFA
July 10th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Who's there?

July 10th

ASUMountaineer
July 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
July 10th

July 10th who?

TheRevSFA
July 10th, 2012, 08:05 AM
July 10th who?

It's July 10th..and App State stillllll doesn't have an invite.

Bah Dum Tssss

Note: That was for cbarrier....

ASUMountaineer
July 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM
It's July 10th..and App State stillllll doesn't have an invite.

Bah Dum Tssss

Note: That was for cbarrier....

Crap! :(

xoutofrepx

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Work out that non-sequitur thing yet? I'll wait.

I was still waiting for you to make an actual argument on here. Lord knows I'd be waiting forever for you to do something journalistic.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
xlolx

Save yourself a few posts here for a topic that you might know something about. You'll be at 9k in no time if you stick to the thread with the videos about the lovely quilt on the floor of your football arena.

Thanks for confirming I'm correct and you have no comeback.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I was still waiting for you to make an actual argument on here. Lord knows I'd be waiting forever for you to do something journalistic.

Still waiting...
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Still waiting...

Like I said, waiting forever.

You've never done a journalistic thing in your life. You upload extended message board posts to a free-hosted blog and you don't get paid to do it.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM

You've never done a journalistic thing in your life. You upload extended message board posts to a free-hosted blog and you don't get paid to do it.

Still waiting.
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Still waiting.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Get a room, you two.