PDA

View Full Version : Schiefelbein: Time now for Southern to get moving

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Pretty rough review from Schiefelbein of the Advocate in Baton Rouge regarding the Southern University Athletic program.

The article confuses me on whom the blame is on. The university system? Possibly the state for the lack of state-issued bonds? The university itself for it's inability to utilize the money that was increased? Or is it all of the above?

Would definitely like to swing through Baton Rouge to check out a Southern game. May very well do the Bayou Classic this year. Lots of I-AA football nearby. Time to take advantage!
-------------
Here are some snapshots:

* Since a fire in the F.G. Clark Activity Center in late September 2002, the SU athletic department has been housed in Jesse Owens Hall and the training rooms and weight rooms have been in temporary trailers.
* Less than a month after a December 2002 letter from SU football coach Pete Richardson to the Board of Supervisors to inform that body of the horrendous state of the athletics facilities, SU Chairman Edward Jackson in January 2003 announced a plan to put construct a $5 million sports complex under the west side of A.W. Mumford, with construction to begin that summer. (Ex-Athletic Director Floyd Kerr promised lights for the practice fields would begin that month).

A $3 surcharge was added to football tickets that fall. The practice-field lights were never installed, and the idea for the 29,000-square feet facility was eventually scrapped.

* In November 2003, the board again took up the issue, this time giving the go-ahead for $8-10 million to enclose the north end zone.
* In June 2004, the board increased ticket prices by $12 and a month later raised student fees by $64 per semester to help pay for the assorted projects. That July, the State Bond Commission approved a cooperative endeavor between the school and a subsidiary of the Southern University System Foundation.
* In November 2004, officials held a groundbreaking ceremony just past the north end zone, with Jackson saying the financing was all in place and that construction would begin in the spring, no later than the summer, of 2005.

That timetable — and the plan to sell state bonds — fell by the wayside as well.

All of this brings us to here, late June 2006, and optimism again. Guarded optimism, of course.

Southern needs to get this project done, needs to get this done right and needs to get this done soon.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3222056.html?showAll=y

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
terrorist, why didn't you post this article

SU takes step to raise funds for facilities

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 24, 2006

Southern University has received a key go-ahead as the school seeks a major boost to its athletics facilities, the biggest facet of which is the enclosure of the north end of A.W. Mumford Stadium.

Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc sent a letter Thursday that allows Southern to continue with its plan to fund a $60 million revenue bond project through a private investment firm.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/3222066.html

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Didn't see the article in all honesty...

However, they were both published on the same day and it seems my post was an editorial by the individual who reported in the second article related to the information regarding SU's previous steps not being in the right direction...

R.A.
June 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
terrorist, he called you a terrorist...

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM
terrorist, he called you a terrorist...

Atleast he's using the oldest joke in the book...how many times have I heard that one? xidiotx

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Didn't see the article in all honesty...

However, they were both published on the same day and it seems my post was an editorial by the individual who reported in the second article related to the information regarding SU's previous steps not being in the right direction...
The first line in the article you reffered to mentions the article I posted. SO in other words, you a flat out lie.:nono:

Retro
June 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM

SU takes step to raise funds for facilities

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 24, 2006

Southern University has received a key go-ahead as the school seeks a major boost to its athletics facilities, the biggest facet of which is the enclosure of the north end of A.W. Mumford Stadium.

Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc sent a letter Thursday that allows Southern to continue with its plan to fund a $60 million revenue bond project through a private investment firm.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/3222066.html

That still doesn't explain what has happened to the money raised so far in the previously mentioned editorial.. It looks like they are attempting to sell bonds to raise money again, but they should already have some money in place to do some work as mentioned in the TT's post.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
SO in other words, you a flat out lie.:nono:

Come on now SUjagTILLiDIE, you know TT's got a logical explanation for this. *snicker*

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
That still doesn't explain what has happened to the money raised so far in the previously mentioned editorial.. It looks like they are attempting to sell bonds to raise money again, but they should already have some money in place to do some work as mentioned in the TT's post.
The money is in the bank and will be used to service the debt.:cool:

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2006, 06:16 AM
The first line in the article you reffered to mentions the article I posted. SO in other words, you a flat out lie.:nono:

"How much stock do Southern fans put into the story placed on this page, just to the right, about how the school has a letter getting them another step closer to selling bonds that will pay for athletics facilities upgrades?"

Considering I do not get the actual Advocate in it's paper form and only see the web version, I took a look to the right that day and all I saw was an ad for a 2 Quarter Pounder with Cheese Value Meal. Granted, I'm sure there's plenty at SU that have taken advantage of this deal, I in all honesty did not know about the other story as I was literally confused about that first paragraph.

For all you SWAC burger lovers, see what I mean on the web site link below...SUjagTILLiDIE, you should throw down some change and we'll split it! I love me a quarter pounder! :hurray:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3222056.html?showAll=y