PDA

View Full Version : Why did BU leave America East?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/226-why-did-bu-leave-america-east

Where I risk the permanent ire of LU Hawker - and bring some stuff up that anyone who follows the AE, CAA, or Patriot League might be interested in reading.

PS. Monmouth is not mentioned anywhere in this piece.

LUHawker
June 21st, 2012, 09:59 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/226-why-did-bu-leave-america-east

Where I risk the permanent ire of LU Hawker - and bring some stuff up that anyone who follows the AE, CAA, or Patriot League might be interested in reading.

PS. Monmouth is not mentioned anywhere in this piece.

Actually a very reasoned piece. I appreciated that you only allowed for the reader to infer what could play out with the PL instead of carrying the banner.
xsmileyclapx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Actually a very reasoned piece. I appreciated that you only allowed for the reader to infer what could play out with the PL instead of carrying the banner.
xsmileyclapx

Thanks... you'd be surprised as to how many can't make that distinction... xlolx

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
OK: This time I stopped reading right here:

"Certainly Lacrosse is a "growing sport", and lacrosse has a passionate niche throughout the (let's just say it) richer, tonier, mostly private schools along the coasts.

It also happens that the Patriot League has risen to one of the top conferences in that sport nationally - if not quite the ACC, they're pretty darned close."

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM
OK: This time I stopped reading right here:

"Certainly Lacrosse is a "growing sport", and lacrosse has a passionate niche throughout the (let's just say it) richer, tonier, mostly private schools along the coasts.

It also happens that the Patriot League has risen to one of the top conferences in that sport nationally - if not quite the ACC, they're pretty darned close."

That's quality material right there - best laugh all morning!

RichH2
June 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Nice logical essay. Reader can draw their oen conclusions. TheQ is does this wave continue and how will it impact PL?

Engineer86
June 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
Figures two Delaware guys can't acknowledge the quality of Patriot League lacrosse. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
That's quality material right there - best laugh all morning!

While there's no official conference RPI for lax, the PL had four Top 25 teams to end the year - the same as the ECAC, ACC, and Big East. The CAA and Ivy League sit just behind these four conferences with 3 Top 25 teams.

Anyone who can't see that the PL is a top-tier conference in lacrosse simply isn't paying attention. Not the ACC or Big East - I didn't say that - but certainly not all that far away.

youwouldno
June 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
RPI is garbage anyway. Massey Ratings:

Men's Lacrosse
1. ACC
2. ECAC
3. Ivy
4. Colonial
5. Patriot
6. D-I Independents
7. Big East
8. NEC
9. AE
10. MAAC

In women's lacrosse, the PL was 8th out of 12.

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Why did BU leave America East?

So that it could join the PL in order to knock Lehigh off its mighty throne?

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
So that people in Boston would stop considering BU to be at the same level of UMass.

Engineer86
June 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
So that it could join the PL in order to knock Lehigh off its mighty throne?

It is tough to do, and I can understand why you would be looking for some help to do it.

RichH2
June 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
And what sport would that be? More likely PL will prove more challenging than AE.

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
RPI is garbage anyway. Massey Ratings:

Men's Lacrosse
1. ACC
2. ECAC
3. Ivy
4. Colonial
5. Patriot
6. D-I Independents
7. Big East
8. NEC
9. AE
10. MAAC

In women's lacrosse, the PL was 8th out of 12.

Massey knows nothing about men's lax. No one associated with lacrosse looks at Massey for any reason. The only accurate predictor is the LaxPower formula. Also, the ACC is not a lacrosse conference. It's four schools competing as independents. Together with Johns Hopkins (and Mercer) the Independents are first, followed by the ECAC, then a toss-up between Patriot and Ivy for third, with Patriot having the edge due to post-season success.

Next comes the CAA then the Big East, then a wide gap with the NEC, MAAC and AE at the bottom.

Also, someone (MplsBison, I believe) wrote that the Patriot is a one-bid lax conference. Really? It's a three (and potentially four) bid conference. Check your facts.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
While there's no official conference RPI for lax, the PL had four Top 25 teams to end the year - the same as the ECAC, ACC, and Big East. The CAA and Ivy League sit just behind these four conferences with 3 Top 25 teams.

Anyone who can't see that the PL is a top-tier conference in lacrosse simply isn't paying attention. Not the ACC or Big East - I didn't say that - but certainly not all that far away.

It wasn't that long ago that UD went to the lax final four, but no one is under any illusion that the CAA is a "top-tier" conference. To be "top tier", that means you belong with the ACC schools. I don't see anyone who's had as many teams in the title game as the ACC has (6 in the last 8 years, including one year where both finalists were ACC teams). The Patriot League had two teams in the playoffs this year and went 1-2 collectively. It's a nice conference, but like most conferences out there, a considerable step down from the ACC schools. At least if you're paying attention.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Massey knows nothing about men's lax. No one associated with lacrosse looks at Massey for any reason. The only accurate predictor is the LaxPower formula. Also, the ACC is not a lacrosse conference. It's four schools competing as independents. Together with Johns Hopkins (and Mercer) the Independents are first, followed by the ECAC, then a toss-up between Patriot and Ivy for third, with Patriot having the edge due to post-season success.

Next comes the CAA then the Big East, then a wide gap with the NEC, MAAC and AE at the bottom.

Also, someone (MplsBison, I believe) wrote that the Patriot is a one-bid lax conference. Really? It's a three (and potentially four) bid conference. Check your facts.

Not to defend Mpls, but where are you coming up with this 3 and 4 bid conference? Wasn't this the first year the conference ever had more than 1 team in the tournament?

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM
I was obviously not referring to lacrosse, but men's basketball.

I know nothing about non-standard sports.

andy7171
June 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Not to defend Mpls, but where are you coming up with this 3 and 4 bid conference? Wasn't this the first year the conference ever had more than 1 team in the tournament?

Wait. Lehigh and Colgate got in this year. Who was the third? Is Georgetown in the PL for lax?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
To be "top tier", that means you belong with the ACC schools.... It's a nice conference, but like most conferences out there, a considerable step down from the ACC schools.

It also happens that the Patriot League has risen to one of the top conferences in that sport nationally - if not quite the ACC, they're pretty darned close.

So the difference between your statement and mine is... angels on the head of a pin? xconfusedx You think that the CAA and PL are a "considerable step down", I think it's closer than you imagine, but we agree that they are a step down.

youwouldno
June 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM

Well I don't actually follow lacrosse, though that could change when Furman starts playing in 2014, but the nature of the sport itself shouldn't matter. Massey's ratings perform reasonably well against Vegas in every sport it's been analyzed for. That LaxPower site does look interesting.

kdinva
June 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Massey knows nothing about men's lax. The only accurate predictor is the LaxPower formula. Also, the ACC is not a lacrosse conference.

LaxPower and the NCAA recognizes those four ACC men's lacrosse teams as a conf. unto itself............hence their tourney in April.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM
So the difference between your statement and mine is... angels on the head of a pin? xconfusedx You think that the CAA and PL are a "considerable step down", I think it's closer than you imagine, but we agree that they are a step down.

I think we're further apart then you're admitting, unless you're backing off your earlier claim that the Patriot League, if not the equal, was really close to the ACC. Hey, I'm a UD guy and we've had some nice recent success in the playoffs, but there's a big difference between fleeting success one year and being a year in, year out power conference. Those four ACC teams are a lock to make the playoffs really every year, and one of them is bound to make the finals every year and even win it. The Patriot League got two teams into the tournament for the first time ever this year, and one of them won a game. Kudos to them. Meanwhile two ACC teams made the final 4 - again. Your comparison is almost akin to me saying the CAA (pre VCU and ODU leaving) and the Big East are neck and neck in basketball.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wait. Lehigh and Colgate got in this year. Who was the third? Is Georgetown in the PL for lax?

There wasn't a third, Lehigh and Colgate were the only two. And Gtown plays lacrosse in the Big East.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM
LaxPower and the NCAA recognizes those four ACC men's lacrosse teams as a conf. unto itself............hence their tourney in April.

Eh, pay no mind to that tournament or the "ACC title" that comes along with that - these PL guys are on a roll today.

andy7171
June 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM
There wasn't a third, Lehigh and Colgate were the only two. And Gtown plays lacrosse in the Big East.

OK, I saw 3 and 4 teams from the PL mentioned and was like WTF!?! What did I miss.

TheValleyRaider
June 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Eh, pay no mind to that tournament or the "ACC title" that comes along with that - these PL guys are on a roll today.

Eh, the ACC title is really only for bragging rights between the 4 teams and a chance to get extra games in against big competition. The ACC does not meet the minimum standard to qualify as a conference for lacrosse, so the conference champion does not get an autobid. Distinction without difference, I suppose, since they all get in anyway, but officially, that is the case

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
OK, I saw 3 and 4 teams from the PL mentioned and was like WTF!?! What did I miss.

Well it's still a bit of a WTF - the guy did say the PL is a 3 bid conference and maybe even a 4 bid one. Nevermind that that has never happened, but why let that get in the way of a good boast?

BucBisonAtLarge
June 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
See how many head-to-head match-ups PL Lax gets with those four ACC independents... Anywhoooooooo why is it that BU left?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
See how many head-to-head match-ups PL Lax gets with those four ACC independents... Anywhoooooooo why is it that BU left?

Perhaps it's the part of the article that GF didn't bother to read... xlolx

Sader87
June 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
BU left the AE to "rub shoulders" with the likes of Colgate and Bucknell instead of (no offense) UMBC and Hartford and the PL needed another school in New England....end of discussion/thread.

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM

The NCAA does not recognize the ACC as a lacrosse conference. LaxPower does so only as a matter of convenience. The ACC does not have a tournament auto-bid.

non-standard sports

It depends upon where you're from. Around here hockey and lacrosse are hardy "non-standard."

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Perhaps it's the part of the article that GF didn't bother to read... xlolx

What's to read? You're still hanging on to this notion that the PL and ACC are pretty close to equal - did you come off of that notion or not? The PL had 4 games against the ACC this year, including 2 in the playoffs. Is that supposed to be significant? I mean, the ACC teams have to play somebody. By that measure, the CAA must be fantastic as they had 3 matchups in the regular season.

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
The NCAA does not recognize the ACC as a lacrosse conference. LaxPower does so only as a matter of convenience. The ACC does not have a tournament auto-bid.

It depends upon where you're from. Around here hockey and lacrosse are hardy "non-standard."

Why are you arguing this? Why does it matter what the NCAA recognizes in this case? There is an ACC tournament in men's lax, it's sponsored by the ACC, they give out an ACC championship trophy to the winner and they even have end of season ACC sponsored awards. They don't get an auto-bid because they don't meet the minimum requirement for number of teams, but they are very much a conference by almost every definition of the term. You PL guys get real hung up on nuances sometimes and just miss the bigger picture.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Why are you arguing this? Why does it matter what the NCAA recognizes in this case? There is an ACC tournament in men's lax, it's sponsored by the ACC, they give out an ACC championship trophy to the winner and they even have end of season ACC sponsored awards. They don't get an auto-bid because they don't meet the minimum requirement for number of teams, but they are very much a conference by almost every definition of the term. You PL guys get real hung up on nuances sometimes and just miss the bigger picture.

FBS football is organizing a 4-team playoff. It's sponsored by the conference, they will present some sort of "championship trophy" and there will probably be an all-playoff team.

This does not mean, as a result, the NCAA recognizes it as a championship. The NCAA has their own criteria for conferences, including such things like a minimum number of teams.

Last I checked, the NCAA sponsors the Division I lacrosse championships.

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
FBS football is organizing a 4-team playoff. It's sponsored by the conference, they will present some sort of "championship trophy" and there will probably be an all-playoff team.

This does not mean, as a result, the NCAA recognizes it as a championship. The NCAA has their own criteria for conferences, including such things like a minimum number of teams.

Last I checked, the NCAA sponsors the Division I lacrosse championships.

Wow. Anything else obvious you want to post about? Did the Earth keep turning today?

The original argument centered around the one poster saying the ACC was not a conference for lacrosse, which from an NCAA postseason viewpoint was never contested, but was mocked from a concept of fans on message boards comparing one conference to another. Of course, even in your own blog you refer to the ACC as a conference when comparing the PL to it, so you would seem to be conflicted now between your own article and your now seemingly acquiesence to the NCAA. But on the bright side, if you disregard the ACC as a conference now then you can start politicking that the PL is maybe the best lax conference in the nation now - maybe if the Big East loses some teams and the NCAA autobid you can knock them off too.

van
June 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
What's to read? You're still hanging on to this notion that the PL and ACC are pretty close to equal - did you come off of that notion or not? The PL had 4 games against the ACC this year, including 2 in the playoffs. Is that supposed to be significant? I mean, the ACC teams have to play somebody. By that measure, the CAA must be fantastic as they had 3 matchups in the regular season.

Actually, ACC played 6 games against PL schools and went 4-2. No question ACC is still king of the hill, but I believe the point was that PL is an improving conference. Did not check head to head with ECAC, but I would say that PL and ECAC were pretty close last year overall.

heath
June 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
PL lax is on the rise but doesn't even sniff ACC lax. These are final polls.
2005-ACC= 3 in top 10, PL= 1
2006-ACC=2 in top10,PL=1
2007-ACC=4 in top 10,PL=1
2008-ACC=4 in top 10,PL=1
2009- ACC=3 in top 10,PL=0
2010-ACC has 4 of the top 5,PL=0 in top 10
2011-ACC=4 in top 10,PL=1
2012-ACC=3 in top 10,PL=2
The ACC has 3 titles during this time,and .........never mind,you get the point. Comparing the PL to the ACC in lax is like comparing the ACC to the SEC in footballxlolx

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Actually, ACC played 6 games against PL schools and went 4-2. No question ACC is still king of the hill, but I believe the point was that PL is an improving conference. Did not check head to head with ECAC, but I would say that PL and ECAC were pretty close last year overall.

My bad, I missed Navy in there.

If the point was the PL was an improving conference, we wouldn't be having this discussion - of course it is. The point that had been made was saying that the PL, if not already there, was right with the ACC and that, to most people, isn't supported by anything concrete, as demonstated by heath in his post.

van
June 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
My bad, I missed Navy in there.

If the point was the PL was an improving conference, we wouldn't be having this discussion - of course it is. The point that had been made was saying that the PL, if not already there, was right with the ACC and that, to most people, isn't supported by anything concrete, as demonstated by heath in his post.

Well the quote was "It also happens that the Patriot League has risen to one of the top conferences in that sport nationally - if not quite the ACC, they're pretty darned close."

One of the top conferences seems pretty reasonable. ACC better, ECAC and IVY comparable.

4-2 in head to head, with one of the losses a last second goal by Md over Lehigh, seems competitive if not pretty darn close to me.

dgtw
June 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
How many schools in a conference have to sponsor a sport before the NCAA will give them an autobid?

UAalum72
June 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
How many schools in a conference have to sponsor a sport before the NCAA will give them an autobid?
Six

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Six

Yeah, but the conference has to be good enough to deserve the auto-bid too. You don't just get it.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM

Six

Yeah, but the conference has to be good enough to deserve the auto-bid too. You don't just get it.

This is conclusive proof that Mpls fell on his head at birth.

UAalum72
June 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
This is conclusive proof that Mpls fell on his head at birth.

You are once again completely wrong (except for football, which we aren't talking about here). There are no requirements that a conference be "good enough", only that it have six teams, be together long enough, and meet the requiremes of Bylaws 31.3.4.1 thru 31.3.4.7.

31.3.4.7 Limitations on Automatically-Qualifying Positions.
31.3.4.7.1 Team Sports Other Than Men’s Basketball. In team sports, per Bylaw 31.3.4.6-(a), excluding football and any team sport in which automatic qualification is not offered, the sport committee must award, if a sufficient number of applications for automatic qualification exist, at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria and provide play-in criteria. In sports other than men’s volleyball, men’s water polo and women’s water polo, the remaining 50 percent of the championship field shall be reserved for at-large teams. It will be the responsibility of the Championships/Sports Management Cabinet to determine if a conference play-in to a championship field is to be administered by the NCAA championships staff or by the member conference.
(Adopted: 4/20/99, Revised:
11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D112.pdf

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Well first of all, I *was* talking about football. Specifically, that the Pioneer League doesn't deserve an auto-bid because they are financially unable to obtain the means to become national competitive.

However, I fail to see how what you posted backs up your position in the slightest. Just read the sentence you highlighted without all the lawyeresqe mid-sentence interjections:

In team sports the sport committee must award at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria and provide play-in criteria.

OK? That says nothing about how a conference meets such criteria that then enables their champions to begin receiving automatic-bids to the post season tournament. Play-in criteria is talking about play-in games to the tournament.

UAalum72
June 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Well first of all, I *was* talking about football. Specifically, that the Pioneer League doesn't deserve an auto-bid because they are financially unable to obtain the means to become national competitive.

However, I fail to see how what you posted backs up your position in the slightest. Just read the sentence you highlighted without all the lawyeresqe mid-sentence interjections:

In team sports the sport committee must award at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria and provide play-in criteria.

OK? That says nothing about how a conference meets such criteria that then enables their champions to begin receiving automatic-bids to the post season tournament. Play-in criteria is talking about play-in games to the tournament.
The previous 25 or so posts were about lacrosse. The Pioneer League is not involved, and the exception for football is noted.

BTW the Pioneer has not been denied an autobid because they're not good enough, or not well-financed. They were denied because there are not enough playoff spots for every conference, AND football's one-game-a-week schedule doesn't allow for play-in games. If another league gave up the playoffs, they would have gotten in without additional financing.

'Play-in criteria' would be how the games are set up, and which conferences are in them. The criteria for automatic qualification are provided in the Division I Manual. I did not see anything relating to 'quality', 'performance' or 'good enough'. You are free to read the manual yourself, following the link I provided. If you insist on remaining ignorant despite the source I've provided, I can't help you.

You seem to have the old adage backward. You seem to think it's better to open your mouth and prove yourself a fool, than remain silent and leave the issue in doubt.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
No. I will not be wasting my time reading an NCAA manual. From cripes sake.

You already posted something from it which didn't backup your argument, so I'm simply left to assume you misread the manual anyway. Unless you want to post more statements from it.

UAalum72
June 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
No. I will not be wasting my time reading an NCAA manual. From cripes sake.
"It frightens me to think of the state of the world, if everyone had your driving curiosity."- Inherit the Wind

You already posted something from it which didn't backup your argument, so I'm simply left to assume you misread the manual anyway. Unless you want to post more statements from it.
It did back up my argument, you're just too dense to see it.

Sorry, the burden of proof is on you. I can't post any statements that I didn't see, as I refuse to make things up. I'll leave that to you.

dgreco
June 23rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120621/SPORTS/706219918

The article speaks to possibly Quinnipiac and/or Bryant moving to AEast. IF Bryant did receive an invite and moved to AEast would that open the door for football sponsorship? Could it mean a school like CCSU would also get an invite? 10 teams, 6 FB playing school?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
“You have to look and ascertain the lay of the land every day,” Scarano said. “What if America East collapsed tomorrow? What if four teams left tomorrow and there was no America East? . . . If you’re an athletics director in Division I today, as every day goes by you have to be considering where you stand in your league and where your league stands and what your options are. It’s just the way it is right now in the industry.”

What an interesting choice of words.

That still gives three non-football schools - Vermont, Binghamton, Hartford, or UMBC - veto power to adding football.

Is that threat enough for all four football-playing schools to break free? Possibly.

The CAA, one of the top FCS football conferences, is looking for new members to replace Old Dominion and Georgia State.

The four America East schools who sponsor FCS football could fit the bill in multiple sports, and they could also be very tempted by a TV deal with NBC Sports that blows away the TV contract of America East.

It would be easy for New Hampshire and Maine, already in the CAA for football, to flip from America East to the CAA.

And if the CAA adds Albany and Stony Brook in all sports, they get two more football schools that are part of the New York State system, along with fairly decent hoops, lacrosse, and baseball programs.

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
If CCSU and Bryant leave the NEC, would NJIT have a chance to be admitted?

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Well the quote was "It also happens that the Patriot League has risen to one of the top conferences in that sport nationally - if not quite the ACC, they're pretty darned close."

One of the top conferences seems pretty reasonable. ACC better, ECAC and IVY comparable.

4-2 in head to head, with one of the losses a last second goal by Md over Lehigh, seems competitive if not pretty darn close to me.

xbangx

mainejeff
June 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120621/SPORTS/706219918

The article speaks to possibly Quinnipiac and/or Bryant moving to AEast. IF Bryant did receive an invite and moved to AEast would that open the door for football sponsorship? Could it mean a school like CCSU would also get an invite? 10 teams, 6 FB playing school?

At this point it looks like only Q would join AE if Stony Brook stays.........if Stony Brook leaves, then Bryant would be invited as well.

RichH2
June 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
xbangx

You seem upset. A shame but does not alter facts of last season. A one time fluke. Perhaps but not likely. Army, LU, Gate and Bucknell return bulk of their squads. Not sure about Navy but expect they will be better. HC new and improving. Lafayette caught in Admin trashing their sports programs prttey much across the board so I would not expect them to get back to where they were only a few years ago for quite awhile.No doubt ACC4 and ECAC are stronger as groups. IL has 2 good teams and the Big East 2 perhaps 3. You seriously think either is better now than the PL.

MplsBison
June 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
"It frightens me to think of the state of the world, if everyone had your driving curiosity."- Inherit the Wind

It did back up my argument, you're just too dense to see it.

Sorry, the burden of proof is on you. I can't post any statements that I didn't see, as I refuse to make things up. I'll leave that to you.

You made a claim that a conference qualifies for an auto-bid if it has six teams. Then you posted a statement from the NCAA manual that said essentially the following: "In team sports, the sport committee must award at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria".

Utterly failed to post something proving your claim.

MplsBison
June 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
At this point it looks like only Q would join AE if Stony Brook stays.........if Stony Brook leaves, then Bryant would be invited as well.

If the AE wants football and SB stays, which is going to happen, it would be a lot smarter to invite Bryant.

Then you just need Vermont to restart their program and it's done. Wow, Delaware would really look foolish then.

Sader87
June 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
UVM is not bringing back scholarship football. They actually dropped it well before many of these same types of schools did (BU, Hofstra, Northeastern etc)...in 1974 or 1975 I believe...they were never even 1-AA (D2). Vermont is also one of the worst states (possibly THE worst) in the country for high school football.

UAalum72
June 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
You made a claim that a conference qualifies for an auto-bid if it has six teams. Then you posted a statement from the NCAA manual that said essentially the following: "In team sports, the sport committee must award at least 50 percent of the championship field to conferences that meet automatic-qualification criteria".

Utterly failed to post something proving your claim.The question was how many teams does a conference require for an autobid. I said six. (This is correct. It's in the Division I Manual. I provided a link).

You claimed that wasn't enough, a conference also had to be good enough.

You have utterly failed to post something proving your claim.

dgreco
June 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
If the AE wants football and SB stays, which is going to happen, it would be a lot smarter to invite Bryant.

Then you just need Vermont to restart their program and it's done. Wow, Delaware would really look foolish then.

Back when Bryant was transitioning, the school wanted to get in the PL and said that they were not a AEast type school. However, no one talked about the NEC until they were invited and accepted. I think the PL is out of the question even now with the PL looking for a 10th (most likely a more southern school).

However, if the AEast is serious about football and looking for 2 members to 10 I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant and a CCSU to move to the AEast. I think Monmouth might be a better fit for the AEast, but the reports have included Bryant so we shall see.

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM

The best of the autobid conferences:

http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/MensLacrosse.aspx

GannonFan
June 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM
You seem upset. A shame but does not alter facts of last season. A one time fluke. Perhaps but not likely. Army, LU, Gate and Bucknell return bulk of their squads. Not sure about Navy but expect they will be better. HC new and improving. Lafayette caught in Admin trashing their sports programs prttey much across the board so I would not expect them to get back to where they were only a few years ago for quite awhile.No doubt ACC4 and ECAC are stronger as groups. IL has 2 good teams and the Big East 2 perhaps 3. You seriously think either is better now than the PL.

Not upset at all - just mystified at the logic that had someone first saying that the PL was pretty much right with or just behind the ACC, then several people backing off of that and saying they certainly didn't mean such a silly statement, and now several, including you now, falling back to it and calling it a fact now. The facts were, the PL got two teams in the playoffs for the first time ever, and one of them made the second round. Meanwhile the ACC sent two of its 4 teams to the final 4...again. The facts clearly point to the ACC being a superior league, to everyone. No shame in that. Still mystified that people seem to want to deny that reality.

Engineer86
June 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe DU can beat someone besides WC this year and you will be able to join the playoff fun. That might put you in a better mood. xcoffeex