PDA

View Full Version : C-USA commissioners keeping options open

hiyosef
June 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
According to the Winston Salem Journal, C-USA commissioners wrapped up their yearly meeting by saying they would continue to review and keep their options open as to adding new schools to their conference.

Apphole
June 15th, 2012, 01:06 PM
According to the Winston Salem Journal, C-USA commissioners wrapped up their yearly meeting by saying they would continue to review and keep their options open as to adding new schools to their conference.

I predict they take MTSU and WKU this October and the SBC takes App and GaSo.

That is unless Cobb's perpetual CUSA boner hasn't dissuaded Benson from taking ASU.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I predict they don't take anyone.

Oh and I predict the SBC looks west for teams (Lamar, Sam) before Appy

Not a slight against Appy, but you gotta keep Texas State and the Louisiana Schools happy.

Apphole
June 15th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I predict they don't take anyone.

No way they stay at 14. It's unsustainable and this isn't the first statement suggesting more additions.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 01:14 PM
No way they stay at 14. It's unsustainable and this isn't the first statement suggesting more additions.

And 16 isn't sustainable...do we need to go to the 90s WAC again?

asumike83
June 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I predict they take MTSU and EKU this October and the SBC takes App and GaSo.

That is unless Cobb's perpetual CUSA boner hasn't dissuaded Benson from taking ASU.

If MTSU and WKU (I'm assuming you meant WKU) leave the Sun Belt, I'm not sure there would be much interest coming from either side. That would take away two of the most geographically convenient teams in the East and leave Arkansas State, FAU, ULL, ULM, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and GA State. Even if GA Southern were to come along, travel would be a nightmare. Plus, I'm sure the Alabama and Louisiana schools would want to tighten the footprint if a couple of the eastern schools deflect.

Don't get me wrong, I would be fully supportive of a move to the SBC under the right circumstances. If it was an East/West split and we were in a division with MTSU, WKU, GA State and GA Southern, that makes sense. In that case, FAU would be the only burden from a travel standpoint. MTSU and/or WKU leaving will increase the mileage for all sports and make it less attractive, at least to me. However, if a moratorium looks like a real possibility, I doubt we'd shoot the idea down.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM

I don't see any football conference settling out over 12 in the near term.

I do think Clemson and Florida St will switch over to the Big XII, which will put both them and ACC (back) to 12.

crossfire07
June 16th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I don't think Florida State moves because they don't have the money.They are in debt up to their ***.

nwFL Griz
June 16th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I don't see any football conference settling out over 12 in the near term.

I do think Clemson and Florida St will switch over to the Big XII, which will put both them and ACC (back) to 12.

Clemson and FSU aren't going anywhere. Also, what about the SEC? They are at 14 already, and it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone leaves.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM

You mean the perpetual boner that comes from the fiscal analysis that said that a move was doable IF they went to a conference like a CUSA but was not doable in a conference like the SBC?

You know a whole lot about all this right? I mean certainly more than Cobb anyway because I've seen you hold him up as some sort of impediment to what you and some others want. You've taken shots and stated he should be fired for not giving you your way and you sure run your mouth about Cobb a lot. Considering that you wouldn't even have the notion to think you guys are gonna be some middlin' FBS team without the success that has happened under Cobb. The only reason you have such a high value of yourself and App is due to him bringing you to that doorstep.

Now because he hasn't carried you over the threshold to the CUSA or the mediocrity of the SBC yet you seem to think you can shoot arrows at the guy that was instrumental in getting you there?

You are one of the most spoiled little babies I've had the pleasure of chuckling at on the internet. As I've said before, you are the epitome of being born of 3rd base and thinking you hit a triple.

You couldn't hold Cobb's jockstrap if someone gave you a mechanical advantage to do so.

MplsBison
June 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Clemson and FSU aren't going anywhere. Also, what about the SEC? They are at 14 already, and it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone leaves.

They could very well be moving. It entirely hinges on if the Big XII thinks their conference champion will receive equal consideration for being picked by the selection committee for the playoff if it doesn't have to win a conference championship game.

Of course it's not fair, as the Pac 12, Big Ten and SEC champions all have to win their conference championship game.

Therefore that points to Big XII going to 12 (to qualify for the game) and the best candidates available for them to take are Florida St and Clemson, who are both publicly willing to consider the move.

Yes I agree that no one is leaving the SEC. So yeah, that was very stupid of me to say when the SEC is at 14 now. Doh! So let me modify it to this: I don't see any football conference settling out over 12 in the near term unless they have a very compelling financial case for doing so.

So in that case I think the CUSA has their 12 teams and adding Middle Tenn and West Kentucky wouldn't move the needle on the bottom line. It would end up reducing the payout each school receives.

MplsBison
June 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I don't think Florida State moves because they don't have the money.They are in debt up to their ***.

That would be one reason to move. More money in the Big XII than the ACC.

DFW HOYA
June 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM

For now. One call from the Pac-12 to Austin and the rest of the conference is in panic mode.

asumike83
June 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
For now. One call from the Pac-12 to Austin and the rest of the conference is in panic mode.

Possibly, although I'm not sure if Texas is in any rush to leave. They are making money hand over fist, have traditional conference rivals and their own TV network. I think they might be content to maintain their vice grip on the Big XII's balls.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Possibly, although I'm not sure if Texas is in any rush to leave. They are making money hand over fist, have traditional conference rivals and their own TV network. I think they might be content to maintain their vice grip on the Big XII's balls.

I think the Pac has approached them already and didn't get the warm reception from TX anyway haven't they? I assume it's for the reasons you stated above and may be less likely until things make TX feel otherwise anyway.

I know there was not a formal offer or anything but I thought the Pac had made that call already.

frozennorth
June 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think the Pac has approached them already and didn't get the warm reception from TX anyway haven't they? I assume it's for the reasons you stated above and may be less likely until things make TX feel otherwise anyway.

I know there was not a formal offer or anything but I thought the Pac had made that call already.

tl;dr texas wanted to pac-12 to play it's way, and the pac-12 said no.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
tl;dr texas wanted to pac-12 to play it's way, and the pac-12 said no.

Gotcha.

MplsBison
June 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM

No. The Pac 12 already wanted Texas back when they were adding Colorado. It was denied because they wouldn't be allowed to keep their third tier TV rights (ie, the Longhorn Network).

Texas is king of the Big XII and likes it that way. They're not going anywhere. Plus they just worked out a new deal for a compliment bowl to the Rose bowl, with the SEC.

seantaylor
June 17th, 2012, 03:53 AM
GSU has a real problem in both administration and the intelligence of our fan base. We have an AD that is a pathological liar, who has hoodwinked and practically burnt the school to the ground. Yet, the latest lie from our AD, which our zaftig fans are falling for, is that the idiotic decision to build a track at Paulson, and remove students and future boosters from the equation, is now justified. These rubes actually want to believe resurfacing a track(who the f cares anyway because we dont have male track), is akin to demoing an obsolete facility, and building an entire new track and SOCCER facility across town.

crossfire07
June 17th, 2012, 08:03 AM

You have to have money before you can move.There is an exit fee of about 20 mil (?) to pay. Their entire university is in debt.Not just the athletic department.They should just stay.They moved to the ACC to be dominant in football in a basketball conference.Let the get back to that again.Besides, they are not ready for the Big 12.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2012, 09:16 AM
No, no, no....FSU would not be paying any fees. The Big XII would be taking care of that. They did the same for West Virginia.

It's just a simple business decision. You make more money in the Big XII, probably get more exposure from a better TV deal and you have better access to the new FBS playoff.

It's done with the one exception being if the Big XII decides to commit to their 10 members only. The only way they'll do that is if they feel satisfied somehow that their champion not having to win a conference championship game (when the Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC and ACC champions do) won't be a detractor against them in the committee's eyes. I know Texas has a lot of prowess in college football, but not THAT much.

AppMan
June 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I've learned to pay just as much attention to what isn't being said. Until CUSA states they do not want ASU in their league we have a shot.

nwFL Griz
June 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
No, no, no....FSU would not be paying any fees. The Big XII would be taking care of that. They did the same for West Virginia.

It's just a simple business decision. You make more money in the Big XII, probably get more exposure from a better TV deal and you have better access to the new FBS playoff.

It's done with the one exception being if the Big XII decides to commit to their 10 members only. The only way they'll do that is if they feel satisfied somehow that their champion not having to win a conference championship game (when the Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC and ACC champions do) won't be a detractor against them in the committee's eyes. I know Texas has a lot of prowess in college football, but not THAT much.

Sorry Mpls. You are way off here. There is nothing "done." I suggest you hunt arouond the web for some of the stuff that came out of FSU's BOT meeting from Friday. FSU is staying put. Clemson might be a different story, but I doubt they leave as well.

A key date in this is Aug 15. That is the day that schools have to let the ACC know they are leaving, in order to be effective the following year. So, if you don't hear anything before then, nothing is happening in the near term and all this will probably play out again next summer.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sorry Mpls. You are way off here. There is nothing "done." I suggest you hunt arouond the web for some of the stuff that came out of FSU's BOT meeting from Friday. FSU is staying put. Clemson might be a different story, but I doubt they leave as well.

A key date in this is Aug 15. That is the day that schools have to let the ACC know they are leaving, in order to be effective the following year. So, if you don't hear anything before then, nothing is happening in the near term and all this will probably play out again next summer.

Nothing is decided about this year until the BCS playoff format and selection criteria are set. Once that happens, it all depends on what the Big XII wants. If they want two more members - FSU and Clemson are gone. End of story, nothing you can say will change that.

If they're happy at 10, then no other major conference movements for the time being.

nwFL Griz
June 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nothing is decided about this year until the BCS playoff format and selection criteria are set. Once that happens, it all depends on what the Big XII wants. If they want two more members - FSU and Clemson are gone. End of story, nothing you can say will change that.

If they're happy at 10, then no other major conference movements for the time being.

You can say that all you want, it doesn't make it true.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2012, 09:17 PM
You can say that all you want, it doesn't make it true.

It's true. Regardless what I say.

Why are you hopeful that FSU stays in the ACC? They've never been a flag bearer for ACC football.

TheRevSFA
June 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM
No. The Pac 12 already wanted Texas back when they were adding Colorado. It was denied because they wouldn't be allowed to keep their third tier TV rights (ie, the Longhorn Network).

Texas is king of the Big XII and likes it that way. They're not going anywhere. Plus they just worked out a new deal for a compliment bowl to the Rose bowl, with the SEC.

You have that backwards. Texas wanted in the PAC 12, however the PAC 12 wouldn't let them keep the network

Grizalltheway
June 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM

Why are you hopeful that FSU stays in the ACC? They've never been a flag bearer for ACC football.

Why don't you ever cite any outside sources to back up your statements, instead of just repeating yourself ad nauseum until people just give up out of frustration?

MplsBison
June 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Why don't you ever cite any outside sources to back up your statements, instead of just repeating yourself ad nauseum until people just give up out of frustration?

Oh right. I'll just cite the secret meetings and emails of the FSU, ACC and Big XII administration....

MplsBison
June 18th, 2012, 07:02 AM
You have that backwards. Texas wanted in the PAC 12, however the PAC 12 wouldn't let them keep the network

Whatever, same result.

Texas would be in the Pac 12 (or Pac 16) right now if they could've had the Longhorn Network. Scott said no so they pieced the Big XII back together.

Apphole
June 18th, 2012, 08:30 AM
You mean the perpetual boner that comes from the fiscal analysis that said that a move was doable IF they went to a conference like a CUSA but was not doable in a conference like the SBC?

You know a whole lot about all this right? I mean certainly more than Cobb anyway because I've seen you hold him up as some sort of impediment to what you and some others want. You've taken shots and stated he should be fired for not giving you your way and you sure run your mouth about Cobb a lot. Considering that you wouldn't even have the notion to think you guys are gonna be some middlin' FBS team without the success that has happened under Cobb. The only reason you have such a high value of yourself and App is due to him bringing you to that doorstep.

Now because he hasn't carried you over the threshold to the CUSA or the mediocrity of the SBC yet you seem to think you can shoot arrows at the guy that was instrumental in getting you there?

You are one of the most spoiled little babies I've had the pleasure of chuckling at on the internet. As I've said before, you are the epitome of being born of 3rd base and thinking you hit a triple.

You couldn't hold Cobb's jockstrap if someone gave you a mechanical advantage to do so.

Wow tell us how you really feel...

I've always been a Cobb supporter. He has done many things through my time as an App fan (yes, I've been on board for the majority of his tenure). He's done great things with our marketing, the coaching hires of Vincent and Pollard ect and had some mishaps with the Capel hire and the inability to close an FBS deal so far.

I rightfully applaud him for his successes and criticize him for specific mistakes. I've never made broad statements about him being a "bad AD" ect. I'm not spewing blind, ignorant hate but nor will I drink the koolaid and ignore CLEAR mistakes that have been made, especially during this FBS move. It's called being objective

49RFootballNow
June 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Apphole, here you go:

http://asasupplies.com/images/BURNAID_PACKETS.jpg

Apphole
June 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Apphole, here you go:

http://asasupplies.com/images/BURNAID_PACKETS.jpg

xcoffeex I guess that means I have a skin allergy to disingenuous inaccuracies. Pass the aloe.

nwFL Griz
June 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM

I don't care one way or another what FSU does. I think the ACC is better with FSU than without, but in the end, FSU has to do what is best for FSU.

That being said, despite all the internet chatter, stuff I'm hearing indicates FSU is not going to the Big XII.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 18th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not spewing blind, ignorant hate but nor will I drink the koolaid and ignore CLEAR mistakes that have been made, especially during this FBS move. It's called being objective

Clear mistakes huh? According to you...or some others that don't have an inkling other than you bought you first set of season tickets recently?

As I said, there was a study and I think it said something to the effect that going to a **** FBS conference would not give App the chance it needs to make it. So if that is what the study came up with then are you still claiming objectivity?

Cobb's boner as you have called it was based on actual number crunching. What your objective opinion is based on is emotion and a need to feel like you are better because your team is viewed as a "big boy" by people that don't give a damn about App.

I've watched you base your objectivity and your criticism toward Cobb (multiple times) on this one issue. I don't know where on this planet that can be considered objective

I don't mean for you to take this personally but it's probably tough not too but you are not objective. You are a one issue dude right now that his eggs all in one basket for whatever reason. If you want to see objective guys that make a decent argument instead of just lobbing crap like "Cobb needs to be fired if we don't get this SBC invite" then look at what asumike or ASUMountaineer do.

Seven Would Be Nice
June 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
GSU has a real problem in both administration and the intelligence of our fan base. We have an AD that is a pathological liar, who has hoodwinked and practically burnt the school to the ground. Yet, the latest lie from our AD, which our zaftig fans are falling for, is that the idiotic decision to build a track at Paulson, and remove students and future boosters from the equation, is now justified. These rubes actually want to believe resurfacing a track(who the f cares anyway because we dont have male track), is akin to demoing an obsolete facility, and building an entire new track and SOCCER facility across town.

You seem to be good at providing examples of that.

We're building the football ops building, moving practices to the soccer stadium, soccer stadium to the practice field. That's the plan and non of your name calling or xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingxxbawlingx will change that. We know you don't like SB, but it's time to get over it and just accept what we're doing. What's in the past is in the past.

Grizalltheway
June 18th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Oh right. I'll just cite the secret meetings and emails of the FSU, ACC and Big XII administration....

If they're secret, how do you have any idea what was said in them? xrolleyesx

cbarrier90
June 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
He's done great things with our marketing, the coaching hires of Vincent and Pollard ect and had some mishaps with the Capel hire and the inability to close an FBS deal so far.

I rightfully applaud him for his successes and criticize him for specific mistakes. I've never made broad statements about him being a "bad AD" ect. I'm not spewing blind, ignorant hate but nor will I drink the koolaid and ignore CLEAR mistakes that have been made, especially during this FBS move. It's called being objective

Have you ever stepped back and thought perhaps the lack of an FBS move is due to something out of our control? (hint: location)

If you want to criticize Cobb and the administration, the criticism should be directed at the fact that they've been so secretive throughout the process. When inquiring minds are starved for information, it usually leads to wild speculation, and over time, eagerness drives that "speculation" to become a "fact" in one's mind. So when info finally is released regarding the issue, and it doesn't fully satisfy what one erroneously believed to be a "fact," that person starts spouting ridiculous notions like firing the guy who was at the helm of a boom in ASU athletics for the past six years.

AshevilleApp2
June 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM

How do you know he wasn't at them? xeyebrowx

Apphole
June 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Have you ever stepped back and thought perhaps the lack of an FBS move is due to something out of our control? (hint: location)

If you want to criticize Cobb and the administration, the criticism should be directed at the fact that they've been so secretive throughout the process. When inquiring minds are starved for information, it usually leads to wild speculation, and over time, eagerness drives that "speculation" to become a "fact" in one's mind. So when info finally is released regarding the issue, and it doesn't fully satisfy what one erroneously believed to be a "fact," that person starts spouting ridiculous notions like firing the guy who was at the helm of a boom in ASU athletics for the past six years.

Location is out of our control, but one thing that isn't out of our control is how we market ourselves. I'm sure you read Cobb's letter to Alumni. It was full of powerful information about how much we would in fact be desirable to an FBS conference from a media market standpoint, but it was too little too late. That was a week after CUSA's last round of invites and it was only an effort to placate an incredibly restless fanbase that hadn't heard a peep from the top of the Mountain since the feasibility study came out. It was very clear from the verbiage of the letter that he just gotthe memo about conference movement revolving around TV deals and media market in May, when all us message board nerds have known for a year. Cobb was content with parading our trophies, facilities ect, and taking an invite for granted.

Again, I've never said Cobb is a failure ect. I'm pointing out a single, crucial mistake that's costing us big time. If you and Ursus (I know you do) frequented Appfan, you'd find me jumping to Cobb's defense on a daily basis. I'm not scrambling to fire the guy, but I'm not naive enough to sweep this foul up under the rug.

Nothing about my conceptions of Cobb, positive or negative, are based on "speculation." Only what has, and most importantly hasn't, come to pass.

Grizalltheway
June 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
How do you know he wasn't at them? xeyebrowx

Just a hunch.xcoffeex

cbarrier90
June 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Location is out of our control, but one thing that isn't out of our control is how we market ourselves.

We can market ourselves as the greatest thing since sliced bread but if the conference can't make any $$$ in our market, it does no good.

I'm sure you read Cobb's letter to Alumni. It was full of powerful information about how much we would in fact be desirable to an FBS conference from a media market standpoint, but it was too little too late. That was a week after CUSA's last round of invites and it was only an effort to placate an incredibly restless fanbase that hadn't heard a peep from the top of the Mountain since the feasibility study came out. It was very clear from the verbiage of the letter that he just gotthe memo about conference movement revolving around TV deals and media market in May, when all us message board nerds have known for a year.

I did read the letter and I'm glad it was finally issued, albeit about a year later than it should have been issued. The idea that the freakin' athletic director is clueless about conference movement is ridiculous. There's a reason you and I are sitting at our computers and he is in the AD office. All conference movement that is "discussed" on message boards is pure speculation, but there again, if the idea is thrown around long enough with no information to prove it false, eventually people start believing it's true.

All of this could have been avoided had he or someone within the department issued something often explaining what the thought process was going to be and what the study found, but no. They released two "bombshells." First was the announcement of the study, and second was the mother-of-all "bombshells," the update that basically told the world we were already better than the Sun Belt, our market was okay, and we were on the fast track to C-USA.

From there, we never heard a peep from the administration. What were we supposed to think, especially after the most recent announcements?

Cobb was content with parading our trophies, facilities ect, and taking an invite for granted.

He was parading the tradition, facilities, and support because that is ultimately what ASU brought to the table that was unique to all the prospective schools. C-USA made it clear that all you need is a half-built stadium in a good market and you're in.

If you and Ursus (I know you do) frequented Appfan, you'd find me jumping to Cobb's defense on a daily basis.

I stopped frequenting that cesspool once everybody began trolling with their own FBS agendas. The blog format as it is is not conducive to good football discussion.

Nothing about my conceptions of Cobb, positive or negative, are based on "speculation." Only what has, and most importantly hasn't, come to pass.

I don't think we've seen the last of conference shuffling just yet. I do think ultimately, ASU will be in a "mid-major" FBS conference. Where or when, who knows? But I'm not about to panic just yet...

...that will be if and when Georgia Southern leaves.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Common sense.

asumike83
June 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM
As to the topic of Cobb, I feel that an AD is similar to the QB on the football team or the point guard on the basketball team. As the face of a university's athletic department, an AD typically gets too much credit for the positives and too much blame for the negatives.

Was Cobb very fortunate to take over at Appalachian when he did? Absolutely, talk about walking into a gold mine. He came on board in 2005 and the football team immediately won three consecutive National Championships and scored (arguably) the biggest upset in the history of college football. The credit for those accomplishments goes to the coaches and players that won the games. However, Charlie did a great job capitalizing on that success by putting money back into our athletics department. Significant upgrades to Kidd-Brewer Stadium, new baseball facilities, indoor practice facility and a new soccer stadium were just some of the investments made in ASU athletics. He has also done a fine job of working to get our students and alumni involved and increasing donations to the Yosef Club, which is bringing in more money than ever before.

As for the realignment issue, I do think he could have handled certain aspects better but I'm not sure that it would have resulted in C-USA or any other conference selecting us over the big market schools. The shift in realignment moved towards TV markets when the Big East started plucking the C-USA schools in the biggest metro areas. That, combined with a moratorium on moving up that was in effect while ASU football was absolutely peaking and would have been a commodity for most mid-major FBS conferences, ended up forcing him to deal with about the worst timing you could think of for a school in our position. I would like a bit more transparency to limit all this speculation but the realignment aspect of his job is the one area where he got dealt a sh** hand.

The lack of transparency and seeming lack of urgency given the possibility of getting hit with another moratorium is frustrating but overall, I think Charlie Cobb has done a fine job in his time at Appalachian.

Silenoz
June 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM
As to the topic of Cobb, I feel that an AD is similar to the QB on the football team or the point guard on the basketball team. As the face of a university's athletic department, an AD typically gets too much credit for the positives and too much blame for the negatives.

Yep

WH49er
June 18th, 2012, 07:03 PM
He was parading the tradition, facilities, and support because that is ultimately what ASU brought to the table that was unique to all the prospective schools. C-USA made it clear that all you need is a half-built stadium in a good market and you're in.

I would give you more credit on your posts but you ruin solid statements with fallacies. Other than the football stadium all of our facilities are equal or better than App's but by all means continue to criticize our half built stadium that will be finished in 2 months.

Not exactly what sure is unique about App that CUSA doesn't already have in Marshall.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I don't care one way or another what FSU does. I think the ACC is better with FSU than without, but in the end, FSU has to do what is best for FSU.

That being said, despite all the internet chatter, stuff I'm hearing indicates FSU is not going to the Big XII.

Yes, that's what is being said now.

Like I said, wait until the FBS playoffs are ironed out. It only makes perfect sense that the Big Ten and Pac 12 will want conference champions who win a championship game to receive higher weighting than conference champions who don't have to win a championship game. Those two combined should be able to topple Texas and the SEC, which are aligned to try and force the top 4 teams into the playoffs only (no auto-bids for conference champions).

I think the compromise lies in the selection committee. Then you can truly say that the top 4 teams were in fact selected....by the committee. And the Big Ten can get their way in the sense too if the committee is directed to give higher consideration for conference champions and especially those who win a championship game.

Then the Big XII will be forced to join up with the other conferences in having a championship game - and btw the only reason they ditched it is because Texas almost lost to Nebraska that one year and would've not gone to the BCS championship game. They'll need two more teams and the best teams that they'd realistically be able to take would be Florida St and Clemson. Those are the best football programs in the ACC (most money, biggest stadiums, etc. - in that sense).

cbarrier90
June 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I would give you more credit on your posts but you ruin solid statements with fallacies.

Dangit! That's all I was hoping for!

Other than the football stadium all of our facilities are equal or better than App's

How many times are opinions like these going to be stated as fact in this junk-measuring contest? Am I not allowed to have pride in ASU's own facilities without measuring them against somebody else? Can both school's facilities be nice in both schools' fans' biased opinions?

but by all means continue to criticize our half built stadium that will be finished in 2 months.

I try on this board to not be another Apphole. If he wants to have a vandetta against Charlotte, so be it, but he doesn't speak for the entire fanbase.

At no point did I ever criticize anything about Charlotte. In fact, I never mentioned Charlotte in either post. Rather, it was a criticism of the decision of C-USA, a conference that decided it was better to have the Charlotte market with a team that has yet to take the field rather than an addition like ASU, which has shown over the last five years that the support, facilities, etc. are there and would have provided natural rivalries with Marshall and ECU, teams ASU has played in-conference before.

ASUMountaineer
June 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I would give you more credit on your posts but you ruin solid statements with fallacies. Other than the football stadium all of our facilities are equal or better than App's but by all means continue to criticize our half built stadium that will be finished in 2 months.

Not exactly what sure is unique about App that CUSA doesn't already have in Marshall.

I don't believe he mentioned your other facilities. While I understand your defensiveness, I don't think he was criticizing UNCC's other sports facilities, just the one that is central to realignment.

In addition, I don't think he was making an argument that ASU should be invited to CUSA, so I'm not sure what your comment about uniqueness has to do with his post. With that said, I think you're right. CUSA is concerned with adding schools located in big markets and ASU does not offer that.

If location prevents ASU for moving to FBS then so be it. I would not want ASU to be located anywhere else.

ASUMountaineer
June 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Was Cobb very fortunate to take over at Appalachian when he did? Absolutely, talk about walking into a gold mine. He came on board in 2005 and the football team immediately won three consecutive National Championships and scored (arguably) the biggest upset in the history of college football. The credit for those accomplishments goes to the coaches and players that won the games. However, Charlie did a great job capitalizing on that success by putting money back into our athletics department. Significant upgrades to Kidd-Brewer Stadium, new baseball facilities, indoor practice facility and a new soccer stadium were just some of the investments made in ASU athletics. He has also done a fine job of working to get our students and alumni involved and increasing donations to the Yosef Club, which is bringing in more money than ever before.

As for the realignment issue, I do think he could have handled certain aspects better but I'm not sure that it would have resulted in C-USA or any other conference selecting us over the big market schools. The shift in realignment moved towards TV markets when the Big East started plucking the C-USA schools in the biggest metro areas. That, combined with a moratorium on moving up that was in effect while ASU football was absolutely peaking and would have been a commodity for most mid-major FBS conferences, ended up forcing him to deal with about the worst timing you could think of for a school in our position. I would like a bit more transparency to limit all this speculation but the realignment aspect of his job is the one area where he got dealt a sh** hand.

The lack of transparency and seeming lack of urgency given the possibility of getting hit with another moratorium is frustrating but overall, I think Charlie Cobb has done a fine job in his time at Appalachian.

Couldn't say it any better myself. Excellent post.

alvinkayak6
June 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Yes, that's what is being said now.

Like I said, wait until the FBS playoffs are ironed out. It only makes perfect sense that the Big Ten and Pac 12 will want conference champions who win a championship game to receive higher weighting than conference champions who don't have to win a championship game. Those two combined should be able to topple Texas and the SEC, which are aligned to try and force the top 4 teams into the playoffs only (no auto-bids for conference champions).

I think the compromise lies in the selection committee. Then you can truly say that the top 4 teams were in fact selected....by the committee. And the Big Ten can get their way in the sense too if the committee is directed to give higher consideration for conference champions and especially those who win a championship game.

Then the Big XII will be forced to join up with the other conferences in having a championship game - and btw the only reason they ditched it is because Texas almost lost to Nebraska that one year and would've not gone to the BCS championship game. They'll need two more teams and the best teams that they'd realistically be able to take would be Florida St and Clemson. Those are the best football programs in the ACC (most money, biggest stadiums, etc. - in that sense).

Since when did Texas like the SEC? News to me.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Since when did Texas like the SEC? News to me.

The SEC and Big XII made a new bowl recently, meant to be the compliment to the Rose bowl between the Big Ten and Pac 12.

Quickly afterward, and to no one's surprise, the Big XII aligned behind the SEC's stance of "top 4 only" in the FBS playoff. The SEC wants to make sure they can get two teams in the playoff if possible.

The Big XII aligned with them to make sure they were the 4th conference, not the ACC. But now it appears headed the direction of the selection committee, etc. So all the FBS conferences are still going to have a chance and it's not just going to be the four champions from the four big conferences.

crossfire07
June 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Where does Charlottes Chancellor get his info from?

"The 49ers will spend $6 million per year on FCS football – the total athletic budget is about $11 million – and the football portion will jump to $8-16 million when they move to FBS (much of that is because of the increase from 63 scholarships for FCS to 85 for FBS). Look for the budget to be on the lower end of that spectrum, however. Ohio State’s football budget in 2011-12 is $13 million and it’s hard to imagine Charlotte needing to spend that much."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/05/3221652/breaking-down-the-move-to-fbs.html

Ohio State spending only 13 mil? ha ha Their coach makes 4 mil a year. This guy is in dream land.

WH49er
June 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
How many times are opinions like these going to be stated as fact in this junk-measuring contest? Am I not allowed to have pride in ASU's own facilities without measuring them against somebody else? Can both school's facilities be nice in both schools' fans' biased opinions?

I try on this board to not be another Apphole. If he wants to have a vandetta against Charlotte, so be it, but he doesn't speak for the entire fanbase.

At no point did I ever criticize anything about Charlotte. In fact, I never mentioned Charlotte in either post. Rather, it was a criticism of the decision of C-USA, a conference that decided it was better to have the Charlotte market with a team that has yet to take the field rather than an addition like ASU, which has shown over the last five years that the support, facilities, etc. are there and would have provided natural rivalries with Marshall and ECU, teams ASU has played in-conference before.

Half finished stadium in a large market, what other school would you be speaking of?

You stated App offered something to the conference that no one else has, which I disagree with. Charlotte's facilities were a simple comparsion. While we have no tradition, Marshall stands for a better comparsion.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Where does Charlottes Chancellor get his info from?

"The 49ers will spend $6 million per year on FCS football – the total athletic budget is about $11 million – and the football portion will jump to $8-16 million when they move to FBS (much of that is because of the increase from 63 scholarships for FCS to 85 for FBS). Look for the budget to be on the lower end of that spectrum, however. Ohio State’s football budget in 2011-12 is $13 million and it’s hard to imagine Charlotte needing to spend that much."
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/05/3221652/breaking-down-the-move-to-fbs.html

Ohio State spending only 13 mil? ha ha He is only 100mil off! Their coach makes 4 mil a year. This guy is in dream land.

No I don't think so...

Coaches make money, sure - but players don't make s___ compared to what the programs pull in, anyway.

Head coach - $4million
Coordinators - $1mil each
Rest of football coaching staff - $2mil total
85 scholarships - $4mil
Travel budget (regular season) - $1mil
Recruiting budget - $0.5mil?
Operating costs (including training table) - $1.5mil?

That's $15mil and I may well be over estimating.

Trek222
June 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
That's $15mil and I may well be over estimating.

You were really close actually. The total operating costs at Ohio State last year were $13,040,136. Mind you, this was with Luke Fickell as the head coach, so add on ~3.5 million for Meyers salary.

Source: http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/31/ohio-states-football-budget/

cbarrier90
June 19th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Half finished stadium in a large market, what other school would you be speaking of?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by insinuating that the stadium was only half-built when apparently it is, according to you, two months away from completion.

I realize now that I should have referred to it as "a 4/5 completed stadium in a large market." I will be more sensitive moving forward when it comes to my awareness about the progress of stadium construction projects.

Please accept my most sincere apologies. I assure you a misunderstanding of this nature will not happen again.

crossfire07
June 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM
With the way the big schools do their books, I think 13 mil for Ohio State is low. Really low.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
With the way the big schools do their books, I think 13 mil for Ohio State is low. Really low.

I just explained how it's not.

What is the extra money being spent on? How much?

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM

That number is nonsense. If you add the coach's salary to the recruiting budget you probably come close to that number.

GlassOnion
June 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM
You were really close actually. The total operating costs at Ohio State last year were $13,040,136. Mind you, this was with Luke Fickell as the head coach, so add on ~3.5 million for Meyers salary.

Source: http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/05/31/ohio-states-football-budget/

That same site aso has information citing Ohio State spending $31,763,036 on just their football program. They spend an additional $4.55 million on basketball.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

Apphole
June 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM
David Scott is the worst journalist at the CO. The guy is absolutely clueless about virtually everything he writes.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM
That number is nonsense. If you add the coach's salary to the recruiting budget you probably come close to that number.

So you're saying Ohio State's recruiting budget per year is $13mil - $4mil for the head coach's salary = $9mil?

No.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
The number of 14 million total expenses is FLAT OUT NONSENSE.

Ohio State's Athletic Budget is 113 million per year, about 34 million of it on football.

That link posted is rubbish.

Game day expenses alone are almost $9million at Ohio State.

cbarrier90
June 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
David Scott is the worst journalist at the CO. The guy is absolutely clueless about virtually everything he writes.

Considering it's the CO, that's saying something...

Apphole
June 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Considering it's the CO, that's saying something...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cbarrier90 again.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The number of 14 million total expenses is FLAT OUT NONSENSE.

Ohio State's Athletic Budget is 113 million per year, about 34 million of it on football.

That link posted is rubbish.

Game day expenses alone are almost $9million at Ohio State.

Careful.

We're talking about specifically football budget. The costs of operating a game day at the stadium would fall under something like the athletic department's facilities budget.

In my opinion, expenses what appropriately falls under the football budget are things like: coaching staff salary, recruiting expenses for that sport, equipment for that sport, travel expenses for that sport, scholarship for that sport. Not much else.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Then their budget is 25 million

Same difference. 14 million is laughable.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Then their budget is 25 million

Same difference. 14 million is laughable.

Not really. See above, I gave an example for how it could be reasonable. You're simply including some other line items that don't appropriately belong under the football budget.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Bison...go crawl up another tree or down a hole.

These are public numbers. If you take the 9 million off the reported 34 (9 million game day) then you get 25 million.

Total expenses get to $131,000,00 when you add in the following:

$18,205,929 for annual Capital Debt payment ($17,205,929) and facility construction project reserves for Outdoor Fields/Outdoor Tennis Court Renovation Project ($1,000,000) in FY2011. When included, total department expenses for FY2011 were $131,390,784.

Hell, without football, the average head coach salary across men and women is nearly $300,000! THE AVERAGE! Generally speaking this translates to the low end making more than most FCS Head Football coaches.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
So...what are you saying?

Yes, I agree. The athletic department's overall budget was $131mil. That sounds right.

It's very possible that the specific football budget within the AD budget could be only $13-15mil. I gave an example of how that is reasonable by only considering certain line items to be under the football budget. You haven't given any example that builds up to $25mil.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I dont have to give an example...it's ****ing public records available to all. It isn't speculation...it is fact.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I dont have to give an example...it's ****ing public records available to all. It isn't speculation...it is fact.

The only fact is the total athletic budget.

You've shown nothing other than that.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ope+government+athletics

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM

BOOM!

Haven't seen that one in a while. xlolx

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks for providing the link showing that the survey was filled out incorrectly.

I gave a correct example. You've given nothing.

Dane96
June 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
LOL. You are too much.

Can we wipe out 7000 of his 8136 dumbass posts.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:06 AM
You realize that the OPE thing is just a survey filled out by someone at the athletic dept, right? Probably a summer intern.

Nope, they never make mistakes.

Dane96
June 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM
You realize that you are a tool, right?

Blue Eagle
August 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
GSU has a real problem in both administration and the intelligence of our fan base.

Are you a van gorder clone?

You must be very perceptive to be able to determine the intelligence of all of the Ga Southern fan base!

I have not met all of them, but most of the ones I have met seem reasonably intelligent!!

Of course, you are correct about the AD, but fortunately he is no longer the AD!!

I doubt most of our fan base fell for his latest lie which is probably one of the reasons he is no longer our AD!

All of the Ga Southern fans I have spoken with are very happy he is no longer the AD!!!

Squealofthepig
August 4th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Are you a van gorder clone?

You must be very perceptive to be able to determine the intelligence of all of the Ga Southern fan base!

I have not met all of them, but most of the ones I have met seem reasonably intelligent!!

Of course, you are correct about the AD, but fortunately he is no longer the AD!!

I doubt most of our fan base fell for his latest lie which is probably one of the reasons he is no longer our AD!

All of the Ga Southern fans I have spoken with are very happy he is no longer the AD!!!

There are only so many exclamation marks any one can use before being deemed, for lack of a better term, "more than happy". Nine seems WAY too many.