PDA

View Full Version : GA State has fastest rising tuition in country

ButlerGSU
June 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Good to be #1 in something I guess...

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/15/where-are-college-costs-going-up-14-public-universities-with-the-fastest-growing-tuition/#1-georgia-state-university

melloware13
June 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM
All of the schools on the list are from Georgia, Arizona, and California. I'd say that says more about the states than anything.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2012, 08:26 AM
All of the schools on the list are from Georgia, Arizona, and California. I'd say that says more about the states than anything.

Probably the 3 worst performers when it comes to public education at the high school level.

ButlerGSU
June 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Probably the 3 worst performers when it comes to public education at the high school level.

Don't look now brainiac ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/state-education-rankings-_n_894528.html

Also: http://www.uschamber.com/reportcard/2009

Actually, in GA State's defense, the state of Georgia has some of the lowest tuition in the nation to begin with so that is what makes the percentage jump look so bad. Georgia is still below the national average for tuition.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Actually that'd be Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

Texas isn't so great, due to a high population and no funding for education.

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Georgia State may be engaging in what is called "price elasticity" for tuition--what is the gain by increasing tutition versus the marginal loss of students? If tuition goes up 25% but GSU only stands to lose 5% of its paying students, is it a gain?

Classic example of testing the edges of tuition is Boston University. BU accepts 49% of applicants and charges $42,994 for tuition (room and board not included). By contrast, Harvard accepts 6% of applicants with tuition of $40,866. In theory, there is no good reason BU should be more expensive than Harvard but the school figures that the demand of students who want to study in Boston is strong enough that they can overcharge for the opportunity to attend school there.

darell1976
June 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM

I was thinking the same thing. California is very broke so I would think they would need to raise the money somewhere..I guess taking it from students without a job and surviving on student loans is the way to do it. Colleges are so expensive that no one is going to want to go unless you can get a scholarship (either be really smart or really athletic).

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Don't look now brainiac ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/11/state-education-rankings-_n_894528.html

Also: http://www.uschamber.com/reportcard/2009

Actually, in GA State's defense, the state of Georgia has some of the lowest tuition in the nation to begin with so that is what makes the percentage jump look so bad. Georgia is still below the national average for tuition.

Wow, you really proved me wrong there with your study results. The problem is that I have seen tangible evidence that shows Georgia, California. Arizona and Mississippi at the very bottom. Certainly sourcing the Huffington post would not help your argument.

ButlerGSU
June 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Wow, you really proved me wrong there with your study results. The problem is that I have seen tangible evidence that shows Georgia, California. Arizona and Mississippi at the very bottom. Certainly sourcing the Huffington post would not help your argument.

What's this tangible evidence you speak of?

The Science and Engineering Readiness Index (SERI) measures how high school students are performing in physics and calculus -- based on publicly available data, including Advanced Placement scores, National Assessment of Educational Progress reports, teacher certification requirements by state and enrollment data.

It was developed by Susan Wite from the Statistical Research Center at the American Institute of Physics and physicist Paul Cottle of Florida State University. If you actually read the article you would have seen that.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2012, 12:28 PM

The Science and Engineering Readiness Index (SERI) measures how high school students are performing in physics and calculus -- based on publicly available data, including Advanced Placement scores, National Assessment of Educational Progress reports, teacher certification requirements by state and enrollment data.

It was developed by Susan Wite from the Statistical Research Center at the American Institute of Physics and physicist Paul Cottle of Florida State University. If you actually read the article you would have seen that.

How many high school students in Georgia even take Calculus? Wow seems like a great study.

spartanhead
June 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM

It was developed by Susan Wite from the Statistical Research Center at the American Institute of Physics and physicist Paul Cottle of Florida State University. If you actually read the article you would have seen that.LOL!

bojeta
June 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Actually that'd be Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

Texas isn't so great, due to a high population and no funding for education.

Thank you for a more enlightened view. Those who are NOT educators have ZERO understanding of the true issues which include, to name a few: Funding (CA is dead last per pupil), class size (35-45 is the norm in CA), number of non-English languages spoken (over 100 in Los Angeles Unified alone), migrant populations (agriculture based), ever changing standards and benchmarks from politicians who know NOTHING about educating youth, and my favorite..... penalizing schools who fail to meet an intentionally impossible curve which becomes steeper every year and penalizes schools which exceed the target by making it proportionally steeper the following year. Couple all this with standardized tests which are totally biased towards East Coast history and White upper middle class experiences, and you you get results which..... are not really that far apart!! The relatively small difference in performance is exaggerated for political purposes by scoring tactics that turn small REAL numbers into large percentile differences. In the end.. the highest performing California students are on par with the highest performing students in the rest of the country and the lowest with the lowest. California's educational system continues to be the one many other states look to. You see, educators get it! They know we're doing great things here, but the deck is stacked against us in so many ways.

dbackjon
June 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Arizona's do-nothing, far-right legislature is violating their constitutional oath by defunding Arizona's schools.

These tea-bagger criiminals have no business being in office - all they do is a) stick their noses in women's private lives b) cut services, including constitutionally mandated services c) politically posture on immigration d) cut funding from education.

All the REPUBLICAN slime in Arizona need to be in jail. this is 100% a Republican issue.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 15th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Arizona's do-nothing, far-right legislature is violating their constitutional oath by defunding Arizona's schools.

These tea-bagger criiminals have no business being in office - all they do is a) stick their noses in women's private lives b) cut services, including constitutionally mandated services c) politically posture on immigration d) cut funding from education.

All the REPUBLICAN slime in Arizona need to be in jail. this is 100% a Republican issue.

Preach it barebackjon!

http://trcs.wikispaces.com/file/view/493px-Marx_Engels_Lenin.svg.png/39210586/493px-Marx_Engels_Lenin.svg.png

Grizalltheway
June 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
bojeta-great post.xnodx

chattmocs-you continue to make Paris Hilton look like a goddamn Rhodes scholar. Don't know how you manage it, but keep up the good work.

realgsu
June 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/15/where-are-college-costs-going-up-14-public-universities-with-the-fastest-growing-tuition/#1-georgia-state-university

Interesting that the research universities (GSU, Tech, UGA) were all on the list but Ga Southern was not. Guess you don't need tuition hikes when you have class in trailers.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM
California, Arizona, and Georgia are all have among the very worst public school systems in America. If they aren't 48,49, 50 they aren't far off. Not that any public school system is worth a damn. The last thing they need is more funding. Get that weak **** out of here.

bojeta
June 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
California, Arizona, and Georgia are all have among the very worst public school systems in America. If they aren't 48,49, 50 they aren't far off. Not that any public school system is worth a damn. The last thing they need is more funding. Get that weak **** out of here.

Blah, blah, blah... I'll just consider the source (and your grammar, which you no doubt perfected in a private school), and let this one die.

Back to FCS football!

Tod
June 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Actually, the ONLY thing they need is more funding. Well, that and conservatives to stop mandating the teaching of fiction.

GoAgs72
June 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
California public K-12 schools are seriously under-funded. The University of California is still a premier institution because they are raising tuition at an astronomical rate to counteract the lack of public funding. All three of my kids are products of the University of California (two are still students) and the cost is almost a deal-breaker. Most of the problems in public funding of education in California have been budget obstructionism by the Republican minority, excessive liberal spending by the Democratic majority and Proposition 13 which severely limited property taxes and caused all levels of government to scramble to find new ways to fund programs.

chattownmocs
June 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM
The Euro-Trash liberas are out in full force on AGS. The answer to everything is more government funding. If Californians should have figured out anything in their disastrous state by now, it is that the government CAN NOT do it. Instead, they want the government to raise property taxes. They want to be taxed more on stuff that they own. What an asinine idea that is. They probably want funding for their ugly *** back tats as well.

344Johnson
June 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
This got political awfully quick.......

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
This got political awfully quick.......

Probably should have been in the lounge in the first place. I'm not sure what tuition has to do with FCS football.

GSU EAGLES
June 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Probably should have been in the lounge in the first place. I'm not sure what tuition has to do with FCS football.

Athletic fees are part of tuition. Ga State has funded their entire $20 million athletic budget through state money and athletic fees less $500k the boosters give and $950k in ticket sales.

Grizalltheway
June 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Athletic fees are part of tuition. Ga State has funded their entire $20 million athletic budget through state money and athletic fees less $500k the boosters give and $950k in ticket sales.

Technically they're extra fees on top of tuition. At least that's how it showed up on my bills at UM. xtwocentsx

Saint3333
June 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM
88% of GA St.'s athletic budget comes from student fees, App fans complain about ASU's student athletic fee and 45% of App's budget is funding by donations and ticket sales. 88% is the highest of any program in the CAA or SoCon.

It is going to be interesting to see what joining the FBS does for them in that regard.

76ers
June 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM

Once again a GaSo troll starting threads about GSU. Infatuated much? SMH. GaSo and crAPP State < Clowns.

#SOCON4LIFE!

76ers
June 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM

GSU's first year of ticket sales at $950K topped GaSo by approximately $100K. I'm fairly certain that Podunk school has never topped $900K. GTFOH with that BS!

Your fans are begging to increase student fees as we speak. Once again, clown talk!

Saint3333
June 17th, 2012, 09:23 AM
GA St., a school of convenience. Your own fans don't care and certainly the city of Atlanta doesn't either.

Tribal
June 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Actually, the ONLY thing they need is more funding. Well, that and conservatives to stop mandating the teaching of fiction.

Right, because "conservatives" own the CA legislature.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
xlolx

That is not directed at anyone or the conversation here on this thread. Just a smiley test.

Tod
June 18th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Right, because "conservatives" own the CA legislature.

I was not talking about only California.

GeauxLions94
June 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Off subject, but schools in the University of Louisiana system (SLU, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Grambling, Louisiana Tech, UNO, La.-Monroe, La.-Lafayette) are being cut $55 million in FY 2012-13 ... Southeastern's cut is a measly $9.7 million ...

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRI1gvFsw5je16NOX7LgJ2V5TTKvezt Zd41HJ7rWGor3JsI0Ok