PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Finds WR at VaTech

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Kats were hurting at the WR position and despite Malone never catching a pass, he does have two years of eligibility left and should be seen as an upgrade for the Kats coming from a I-AA school. Let's hope he's ready to play for the Kats this fall.

About midway down the story:

MALONE LEAVING: Receiver Michael Malone, the son of basketball Hall of Famer Moses Malone of Petersburg, has secured his release from Tech and plans to transfer to Division I-AA Sam Houston State in Huntsville, Texas. Malone has two years of eligibility remaining and will be able to play immediately since he is going to a Division I-AA school. Malone never caught a pass at Tech and played sparingly on special teams.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&c

Bio:
http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2003/malone.html

exbearkat
May 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM
This is certainly a step in the right direction. We immediately get better at the WR position with his addition. I like the size to go along with a 36 inch vertical. Those two things in themselves are going to make it difficult to cover this kid. :)

blackfordpu
May 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
This is certainly a step in the right direction. We immediately get better at the WR position with his addition. I like the size to go along with a 36 inch vertical. Those two things in themselves are going to make it difficult to cover this kid. :)

All good points but can he catch the ball. All of that means nothing if he can't haul in the pig skin. He has never caught a pass in his college career so once again we have a good recieving core in theory but no proven recievers.

kats89
May 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Definitely a good pickup for us. Gives me a little sigh of relief, but we could use another one or two. Just give Whitten time I think. Even though I was skeptical at first, it appears he is starting to put his stamp on the program.

Sly Fox
May 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Hopefully, this one of Moses' offspring pans out better than Moses Jr. did on the hardcourt in his many travels.

You boys up in Huntsville have really excelled at these I-A transfers the past few years in particular.

McNeese75
May 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
He certainly has potential with his physical attributes but is obviously very unproven at this level. Good luck to the young man.

UMgrizzlies
June 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
There's a reason he didn't at least see some playing time for the hokies. That team enjoys its passing game, and it suprises me to hear that he did not have some catches.

txstman
June 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
All this is is a chance to bring in a name. The man hasn't sniff an offensive opportunity in two years. It will be three years after the upcoming season.

Nice to see a Malone in Texas though, hope the boosters like his dad.

kats89
June 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
All this is is a chance to bring in a name. The man hasn't sniff an offensive opportunity in two years. It will be three years after the upcoming season.

Nice to see a Malone in Texas though, hope the boosters like his dad.

Big words coming from a fan of a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs since the 80's, and that was DII.

asufan87
June 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
My dad is a Va Tech alum and long time Hokie fan. Says that Malone came to Va. Tech as a walk on and just wasn't going to see many reps with the receivers they currently have. Probably a wise move on his part to transfer for playing time. No one wants to waste away on the depth chart forever. He does have the physical size you like to see in a receiver.

kats89
June 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
That is how we got Noah Allen from Oklahoma. He got buried in the depth charts.

txstman
June 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Yes, but people actually recognize Allen for the talent he is supposed to be. Does Malone have this kind of hubbub around him?

kats89
June 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, but people actually recognize Allen for the talent he is supposed to be. Does Malone have this kind of hubbub around him?

You will find out at the end of the season when he burns your secondary for 2 tds.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM
You will find out at the end of the season when he burns your secondary for 2 tds.

to quote another bearkat..."Very optimistic but unlikely."

so let me get this straight. you guys from sam are blasting texas state fans for having confidence in this years team--a confidence based on scheduling, coaching, experience, and talent--but you can't take the heat when we criticize your blind confidence in someone who hasn't even caught a pass?

sounds reasonable :rolleyes:

blackfordpu
June 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I have not seen anyone blast TX State, just expressed opinions. Based on what I know of your team I do not see them having the season you are predicting especially at the scores you are predicting.

When it comes to the WR thing, yes we have confidence because the scouts must have seen something in him for him to go to a school like Virginia Tech. He may not have caught a pass in a game yet but obviously he can play or he would have not been with that school. I am uneasy about him and am not going to jump to any conclusions but I have faith that Whitten would not have signed a kid who can not play.

kats89
June 9th, 2005, 12:45 AM

so let me get this straight. you guys from sam are blasting texas state fans for having confidence in this years team--a confidence based on scheduling, coaching, experience, and talent--but you can't take the heat when we criticize your blind confidence in someone who hasn't even caught a pass?

scheduling, experience and talent?????? xlolx

win the conference and make it to the playoffs and then we will talk. until then xazzx

blackfordpu
June 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM

You play two D-II games. How can you say scheduling? Experience with what? Talent where (explination and where was it last season)? The coaching part I dont know enough to question too much but....

txstman
June 10th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Wait, you are busting on us for two DII games? Someone else had that last season...oh wait it was you.

And sure VaTech saw something in him, his dad and the name. Not that I fault them, it was a smart decision to connect Moses Malone to the university, but it does not make him a good receiver because he rode the bench at some DIA university.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Anyone from Sam talking about scheduling has no business. The only thing we can say to the Bobcats about their scheduling is that if the Cats fall to the Div II schools, that's awful and we should also tell them that they shouldn't jump up and down and in circles over their Div II games, talking about winning the conference after those. Sam fans surely didn't and Bobcat fans do have the biggest egos in the conference. They should be confident about getting more wins due to a weak schedule.

Moses Malone will bring name recognition and be on the level, if not higher than the I-AA recievers that we typically see. That's fine with those in Bearkat Country. He has the qualities we're looking for and anyone that's older and knows how college football works for us considering how many WRs we lost.