PDA

View Full Version : BSC Commissioner comments on Fighting Sioux nickname vote

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/31188490/detail.html

BSC Commissioner Doug Fullerton said the team will play without a mascot for the season while things calm down. They’ll use the school letters logo instead.
Fullerton says the state decision put the conference at ease. “It is a relief for all of us including the president of UND, who I just got off the phone with. He's very excited,” Fullerton said Wednesday.

“We had spent the last year kind of assessing what the issues would be with our local Native American people in Montana; in Pocatello, ID; in Flagstaff, AZ; in Sacramento, CA, and we found that they were very concerned,” he said.
The vote sends the matter back to the state's Board of Higher Education, which is expected to re-retire the nickname and American Indian head logo. Seven years ago the NCAA deemed it hostile and abusive. It threatened penalties against the athletic teams if the name and logo weren't replaced.

The NDSBoHE told UND today to retire the name.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
So in theory.....what were to happen if they got enough petition signatures to put on the 2014 vote if people wanted "UND shall be the Fighting Sioux" in the state constitution?

Will it even come to that now? Can this be over for good?

Or why can't someone just keep trying to get petitions to get it on every vote from now until forever? As long as the same people who signed the first petition keep on signing them.....

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I wonder how the NDSU fans would feel if the state told them they couldn't call themselves Bison anymore.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I wonder how the NDSU fans would feel if the state told them they couldn't call themselves Bison anymore.

Many UND fans are convinced this day is coming.

I'm sure they'd do all they could to fight it.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
So in theory.....what were to happen if they got enough petition signatures to put on the 2014 vote if people wanted "UND shall be the Fighting Sioux" in the state constitution?

Will it even come to that now? Can this be over for good?

Or why can't someone just keep trying to get petitions to get it on every vote from now until forever? As long as the same people who signed the first petition keep on signing them.....

If they did get enough signatures it would go to a vote. They wanted enough signatures to put it to a vote in November 2012, but they are going to wait til 2014 because they don't have enough yet, however with Tuesday's 67% to 33% landslide, that will put the brakes on getting enough votes, because are 67% of ND going to change their mind? Plus with the Federal case of Spirit Lake vs the NCAA over (SL lost), this issue is very close to an end. You had Sioux County (Standing Rock), and Benson County (Spirit Lake) voting to retired the name, that has to hurt getting signatures as well.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Bison fans said "they wouldn't care" they only care about is the name NDSU...of course that has been changed along with their nickname...twice before. NDAC Farmers, NDAC Aggies, and now NDSU Bison.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
If they did get enough signatures it would go to a vote. They wanted enough signatures to put it to a vote in November 2012, but they are going to wait til 2014 because they don't have enough yet, however with Tuesday's 67% to 33% landslide, that will put the brakes on getting enough votes, because are 67% of ND going to change their mind? Plus with the Federal case of Spirit Lake vs the NCAA over (SL lost), this issue is very close to an end. You had Sioux County (Standing Rock), and Benson County (Spirit Lake) voting to retired the name, that has to hurt getting signatures as well.

Noted, but assuming a person or group could actually collect enough signatures - couldn't they put this issue back up for vote on every statewide vote from now until however long they want?

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Noted, but assuming a person or group could actually collect enough signatures - couldn't they put this issue back up for vote on every statewide vote from now until however long they want?

I guess they could. Just like I could petition enough signatures to start a law requiring UND to play NDSU every year only at the Alerus Center. This thing has died out massively, and when it shows 1 county out of 53 actually voted to save the name shows where this state lies in the issue. It would be a lot closer if word about the sanctions and the harm to UND didn't get out across the state.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Can we get a couple more threads on this? I don't think it's quite been beaten to death.

TheRevSFA
June 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Can we get a couple more threads on this? I don't think it's quite been beaten to death.

I had to rep this...actually made me bust out laughing in the office.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM

A overpriced dinky stadium they can't fill, a team that will struggle to be .500 this year, what else is there to talk about with them?

Hambone
June 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Be careful what you wish for.......

But, I agree. Darrel, let's try to keep all the Sioux nickname stuff in one thread. Or, if SE is serious, please start a couple more threads :)

Hambone
June 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
A overpriced dinky stadium they can't fill, a team that will struggle to be .500 this year, what else is there to talk about with them?

Please keep the gloves above the belt or you will begin receiving penalty points. Thank you. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
June 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Please keep the gloves above the belt or you will begin receiving penalty points. Thank you. :)

Not my fault that it's the only noteworthy thing about them. Hey, Jerry Springer gets viewers too.

LakesBison
June 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM
OF COURSE THE FANS WILL KEEP WEARING THE SIOUX LOGO AND CHANTING GO SIOUX.

THUS THE PROTESTS WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN, THE BIG SKY ARE FOOLS NOT TO DUMP THIS CESSPOOL.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 01:07 PM

THUS THE PROTESTS WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN, THE BIG SKY ARE FOOLS NOT TO DUMP THIS CESSPOOL.

And what do think about the Bison fans that will wear the Sioux Suck shirts and chant Sioux Suck (and in games that UND isn't in)?? I think the NA's will be more pissed about that.

LakesBison
June 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
your just like a 3 year old lil girl. ITS YOUR NAME ! FOR YEARS YOU OPPRESSED NATIVE AMERICANS. if you would of stayed flickertails, there would of been shirts that said "Flickertails suck ___" DUH.

you have only self to blame.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
your just like a 3 year old lil girl. ITS YOUR NAME ! FOR YEARS YOU OPPRESSED NATIVE AMERICANS. if you would of stayed flickertails, there would of been shirts that said "Flickertails suck ___" DUH.

Thats right, words from a mouth of a Seminoles fan....their day is coming. Are you going to be supportive of the Native Americans? Or are you going to tell them and the NCAA to go to hell.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Then you and darrell should get along fine. Don't understand the problem.

Hammerhead
June 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
The NDAC also used Fighting Aggies (long before "Fighting" was attached to Sioux) up until 1922 when the mascot changed to Bisons. I'm not sure when we dropped the "s" in Bisons and went with the grammatically correct Bison.

Bison fans said "they wouldn't care" they only care about is the name NDSU...of course that has been changed along with their nickname...twice before. NDAC Farmers, NDAC Aggies, and now NDSU Bison.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
The NDAC also used Fighting Aggies (long before "Fighting" was attached to Sioux) up until 1922 when the mascot changed to Bisons. I'm not sure when we dropped the "s" in Bisons and went with the grammatically correct Bison.

Whose idea was it to pronouce it Bizon and not Bison?

No_Skill
June 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM

s commonly has a z sound.

Reason
Season
Etc.

ncbears
June 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.

344Johnson
June 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM

I don't think there would be any major issue if NDSU reverted back to the Aggies. It is.....but a name. Granted, we have no reason to switch back.

I cannot wait to see what UND chooses, warhawks? stormbirds? Green storm? Modern nicknames just sound dumb. I would thoroughly enjoy it they chose something weird like that.

TheBisonator
June 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM

The University of Manitoba still hasn't gotten the correct grammatical info.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The University of Manitoba still hasn't gotten the correct grammatical info.

As long as you don't call it a buffalo, it should be fine.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
s commonly has a z sound.

Reason
Season
Etc.

I always known it pronounced as Bizon...I think its weird to hear it with an "s" sound. Even at zoo's and farms I still call it Bizon.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I don't think there would be any major issue if NDSU reverted back to the Aggies. It is.....but a name. Granted, we have no reason to switch back.

I cannot wait to see what UND chooses, warhawks? stormbirds? Green storm? Modern nicknames just sound dumb. I would thoroughly enjoy it they chose something weird like that.

Louisiana-Monroe (Indians to Warhawks)
Miami-Ohio (Redskins to Redhawks)
Marquette (Warriors to Golden Eagles)
Arkansas St (Indians to Red Wolves)
Chowan College (Braves to Hawks)
Indiana University, PA (Indians to Crimson Hawks)
McMurry University (Indians to War Hawks)
Midwestern State University (Indians to Mustangs)
Newberry College (Indians to Wolves)
Southeastern Oklahoma State U (Savages to Savage Storm)

5 schools have some type of Hawk...must be the most popular bird.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM

It gets even worse in the high schools when you let kids have a say. I remember the Grand Rapids (MN) Indians becoming the Thunderhawks.....whatever the **** that is.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
It gets even worse in the high schools when you let kids have a say. I remember the Grand Rapids (MN) Indians becoming the Thunderhawks.....whatever the **** that is.

My high school (Grand Forks Central) had to drop its nickname (Redskins) in 1991. They didn't have an official nickname until we voted in the spring of 1994 to take place in the Fall of the 1994-95 school year. From 1991-1994 we were just Grand Forks Central then from 93-94 Maroon and Gray (our colors). They had the students pool together a list of names (approved by the teachers of course) and when the list was narrowed down to 2 names we voted..it was either Pride or Knights. Knights won by a landslide. As an alumn I was a Redskin for a month, and a Maroon and Gray, but at least when GFC wins a state title and hearing the word Knights, I can say..yep I voted for that name.

JSUBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Don't forget Dickinson State: Savages to Blue Hawks.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Don't forget Dickinson State: Savages to Blue Hawks.

While their High school still has the nickname Midgets.xeyebrowx Which one is worse?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
My high school (Grand Forks Central) had to drop its nickname (Redskins) in 1991. They didn't have an official nickname until we voted in the spring of 1994 to take place in the Fall of the 1994-95 school year. From 1991-1994 we were just Grand Forks Central then from 93-94 Maroon and Gray (our colors). They had the students pool together a list of names (approved by the teachers of course) and when the list was narrowed down to 2 names we voted..it was either Pride or Knights. Knights won by a landslide. As an alumn I was a Redskin for a month, and a Maroon and Gray, but at least when GFC wins a state title and hearing the word Knights, I can say..yep I voted for that name.

Knights is good, I always liked it. I'm biased, but I always loved being a Bruin. That to me, was the best one in the state.

I often tell people when I was in high school (86-90), North Dakota had teams called the Wops, Midgets, Demons, Satans, and Redskins.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Knights is good, I always liked it. I'm biased, but I always loved being a Bruin. That to me, was the best one in the state.

I often tell people when I was in high school (86-90), North Dakota had teams called the Wops, Midgets, Demons, Satans, and Redskins.

Knights is in the school song so thats why it was nominated. I remember a couple names was Grey Wolves, (which sounds okay), and Bulldogs (they didn't like it when students said, "we do it doggy style" so that was scratched).
As for the other ND teams you mentioned....only the Dickinson HS Midgets and the Bismarck HS Demons still survive.

I miss the Central Redskins:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/Central.jpg

344Johnson
June 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
As long as you don't call it a buffalo, it should be fine.

My hometown, Jamestown, claims to have a herd of Buffalo, and we are the Buffalo City. People around there refer to them as buffalo.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 07:44 PM
My hometown, Jamestown, claims to have a herd of Buffalo, and we are the Buffalo City. People around there refer to them as buffalo.

It could be because of that big statue you have.

TheRevSFA
June 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
My high school had a lame mascot - the volunteers. James Bowie high

Not as bad as the wampuscats, the New Braunfels Unicorns..etc...

frozennorth
June 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I'm biased, but I always loved being a Bruin. That to me, was the best one in the state.

I always enjoyed the sense of superiority over my fellow north dakotans that being a Fargo South Bruin provided.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I always enjoyed the sense of superiority over my fellow north dakotans that being a Fargo South Bruin provided.

South was really dominate in football, but I think that may have changed with the creation of Fargo Davies High School.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Plural vs singular?

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Webster's says either is an acceptable pronunciation and the word is identical for plural as well. Huh...I've just always heard "bizon" among alumni.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bison

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Webster's says either is an acceptable pronunciation and the word is identical for plural as well. Huh...I've just always heard "bizon" among alumni.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bison

Maybe its a ND thing, because hearing it pronounced with an "s" sounds weird, where in ND I only hear it with a "z".

clenz
June 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I've never heard it pronounced with a z until I was in Fargo for the game.......

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Must be 'Ze Germans'

Screamin_Eagle174
June 14th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've never heard it pronounced with a z until I was in Fargo for the game.......

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Same, until I was talking with an old NDSU fan at a bar in Cheney.

Tod
June 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Must be 'Ze Germans'

Never even heard of people using the "s" sound until now (or recently on AGS, at least).

clenz
June 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Must be 'Ze Germans'

Odd....I'm from a very German family (I'm the first generation that doesn't speak German well). Heck, I spent many summers with my cousins from Germany in Iowa.

Still have yet to hear anyone other than people in ND use the Z sound.

Hammerhead
June 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I think the Bizon pronunciation comes from the German and Norwegian accents. Some people up north would say they ate at a greazy spoon instead of a greasy spoon cafe.

North Dakota was full of weird high school mascots like Flickers, Wops, Midgets, Magicians, and Spoilers.

clenz
June 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't it be greazy zpoon?

Also, darell clear your PM's so you can get more.

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I think the Bizon pronunciation comes from the German and Norwegian accents. Some people up north would say they ate at a greazy spoon instead of a greasy spoon cafe.

North Dakota was full of weird high school mascots like Flickers, Wops, Midgets, Magicians, and Spoilers.

Who was this?

darell1976
June 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't it be greazy zpoon?

Also, darell clear your PM's so you can get more.

all clear!!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 14th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Never heard the z thing either until listening to a NDSU game on the radio a long time back. I was pretty sure the announcer was just mentally challenged. Turns out I was wrong, it was not just him.

HEY WAIT A MINUTE! The s in was & turns has a z sound! Holy crap, so does the word has! Double **** balls batman so does the word does....ahh crap, I used the word balls in there too. This could go on forever.

Ok, I take it back. It's only 1/2 az dumb az is zoundz.

Ginsbach
June 14th, 2012, 10:52 PM

Class A is boring - Class B is way more exciting in North Dakota. Only having 16 or 17 schools in the whole state in Class A means that making the state tournament is no big deal. Making the B meant being one of the top 8 out of 110 schools.

Go Pirates!

appsfan
June 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
OK, time to insert (or is it inzert?) a bad joke here: maybe UND should become the Lawyers? This way they would be a different type of Fighting Sue...

344Johnson
June 15th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Class A is boring - Class B is way more exciting in North Dakota. Only having 16 or 17 schools in the whole state in Class A means that making the state tournament is no big deal. Making the B meant being one of the top 8 out of 110 schools.

Go Pirates!

Steele? Oh gosh.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM

You also have the state mental hospital......the bison is not a buffalo.

http://suite101.com/article/the-bison-is-not-a-buffalo-a195515

Ginsbach
June 15th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Steele? Oh gosh.

You're too far west. I'm from Hankinson. District 1 all the way.

Steele had so many co-ops for a while (Steele-Dawson-Wing-Tappen-Tuttle-Pettibone) that I'm glad that they just go by Kidder County now.

slostang
June 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Then you and darrell should get along fine. Don't understand the problem.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Hammerhead
June 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
The Flickers were in Oriska, my dad's home town. I think their high school closed in the 60s or early 70s. The grade school there has been closed for as long as I can remember.

What's funny is that you can buy Oriska Flickers gear online and they even have the school colors of Blue and white. :)
http://www.prepsportswear.com/school/us/North_Dakota/Oriska/Oriska-School-Flickers.aspx?schoolid=3763

Who was this?

northernfire
June 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
In North Dakota were/are there schools known as: The “Max Cossacks” and the “Ayr Rifles?” If so, I miss the days of small town America. Those names were/are so very unique.

Gil Dobie
June 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
OK, time to insert (or is it inzert?) a bad joke here: maybe UND should become the Lawyers? This way they would be a different type of Fighting Sue...

.......or Fighting Zue or Zoo

darell1976
June 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
All this Z talk reminds me of a good pizza place....Zorbaz!!!
http://www.zorbaz.com/

All their "s" are replaced by "z".

Gil Dobie
June 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Zorbaz on the beach :)

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM

I thought about that when this conversation started. I used to go to the one in Perham all the time. I haven't been in one in about 15 years.

darell1976
June 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I thought about that when this conversation started. I used to go to the one in Perham all the time. I haven't been in one in about 15 years.

The one in Detroit Lakes is always packed, I like the one in Park Rapids and Pelican Lake. Fargo used to have one when I move here it was with a bar called The Rock which is closed.

aces1180
June 15th, 2012, 10:11 AM

I did a tour last summer and hit all 10 to get my Pazzport stamped...Got a T-shirt :).

They just opened one in Spicer (which I need to visit) and there are plans to build one next to the new hockey arena here in Bemidji. There pizza is awesome, but their Mexican food it what I really love.

darell1976
June 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I did a tour last summer and hit all 10 to get my Pazzport stamped...Got a T-shirt :).

They just opened one in Spicer (which I need to visit) and there are plans to build one next to the new hockey arena here in Bemidji. There pizza is awesome, but their Mexican food it what I really love.

Now thats a tour I would like to do. Free t-shirt and good food...can't beat that.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
How about the North Dakota Fighting Zuul?
http://takemystockplease.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/zuul-ghostbuste.jpg

AmsterBison
June 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Two other nicknames got changed in North Dakota recently - sorry if they've been mentioned before.

Wahpeton used to be called the "Wops" - not sure what they had for a mascot. Now they're the Huskies.

The other nickname actually was collateral damage from the Sioux nickname wars. It's no coincidence that the Devils Lake Satans name came under fire at the same time as nickname supporters really started pushing the idea that nicknames honor the namesake.

aces1180
June 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Two other nicknames got changed in North Dakota recently - sorry if they've been mentioned before.

Wahpeton used to be called the "Wops" - not sure what they had for a mascot. Now they're the Huskies.

The other nickname actually was collateral damage from the Sioux nickname wars. It's no coincidence that the Devils Lake Satans name came under fire at the same time as nickname supporters really started pushing the idea that nicknames honor the namesake.

The best part about the Devils Lake change was that they had to change the replacement name from The Blaze to the Firebirds...Apparently, Blaze could be considered slang weed. :)

aces1180
June 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Now thats a tour I would like to do. Free t-shirt and good food...can't beat that.

It was pretty fun...A little costly though when you factor in the price of the food and gas to get there. I enjoyed seeing all the different set-ups and local nuances.

They have been planning the location in Bemijdi for almost three years, but I'm still hopeful.

The DL Zorbaz is pretty special to my wife and I, as we went on our first date there, it hosted our Groom's dinner and was the first place we went after our wedding dance to celebrate with our friends. Lots of money spent at that place.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
It was pretty fun...A little costly though when you factor in the price of the food and gas to get there. I enjoyed seeing all the different set-ups and local nuances.

They have been planning the location in Bemijdi for almost three years, but I'm still hopeful.

The DL Zorbaz is pretty special to my wife and I, as we went on our first date there, it hosted our Groom's dinner and was the first place we went after our wedding dance to celebrate with our friends. Lots of money spent at that place.

What about the pizza place there owned by the olympian? Isn't that a pretty famous local pizza place?

aces1180
June 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
What about the pizza place there owned by the olympian? Isn't that a pretty famous local pizza place?

Dave's Pizza...It's awesome.

Ginsbach
June 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
The Flickers were in Oriska, my dad's home town. I think their high school closed in the 60s or early 70s. The grade school there has been closed for as long as I can remember.

What's funny is that you can buy Oriska Flickers gear online and they even have the school colors of Blue and white. :)
http://www.prepsportswear.com/school/us/North_Dakota/Oriska/Oriska-School-Flickers.aspx?schoolid=3763

For what it's worth, when I was in high school in the early 2000's the sports teams were still called Maple Valley/Oriska. Oriska didn't even have the best pre-Maple Valley nickname, either. That honor belongs to the Tower City Clams. All three of the schools that now make up Maple Valley had awesome mascots. Oriska Flickers, Tower City Clams, and Buffalo Bison.

In North Dakota were/are there schools known as: The “Max Cossacks” and the “Ayr Rifles?” If so, I miss the days of small town America. Those names were/are so very unique.

The Max Cossacks still exist. The Ayr Rifles are now part of the Northern Cass Jaguars.

Some other awesome nicknames that used to exist in North Dakota Class B:

Forman Phantoms
Cogswell Cogs
Rutland Roosters
Sheldon Shadows
Ayr Rifles
Fairmount Pheasants
Starkweather Stormkings
Hebron Brickmakers
Hankinson St. Francis Frankies
Ashley Aces
Antelope Atoms

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
For what it's worth, when I was in high school in the early 2000's the sports teams were still called Maple Valley/Oriska. Oriska didn't even have the best pre-Maple Valley nickname, either. That honor belongs to the Tower City Clams. All three of the schools that now make up Maple Valley had awesome mascots. Oriska Flickers, Tower City Clams, and Buffalo Bison.

The Max Cossacks still exist. The Ayr Rifles are now part of the Northern Cass Jaguars.

Forman Phantoms
Cogswell Cogs
Rutland Roosters
Sheldon Shadows
Ayr Rifles
Fairmount Pheasants
Starkweather Stormkings
Ashley Aces
Antelope Atoms

My favorite Texas ones (besides the New Braunfels Unicorns..which is my absolute favorite)

Knippa Rockcrushers
Nazareth Swifts
Springtown Fighting Porcupines
Mesquite Skeeters
Farmersville Farmers/Lewisville Fighting Farmers (two different schools)
Grapeland Sandies
Hereford Whitefaces
Falfurrias Fighting Jerseys
Marfa Shorthorns
Robstown Cotton Pickers

Ginsbach
June 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM
My favorite Texas ones (besides the New Braunfels Unicorns..which is my absolute favorite)

Knippa Rockcrushers
Nazareth Swifts
Springtown Fighting Porcupines
Mesquite Skeeters
Farmersville Farmers/Lewisville Fighting Farmers (two different schools)
Grapeland Sandies
Hereford Whitefaces
Falfurrias Fighting Jerseys
Marfa Shorthorns
Robstown Cotton Pickers

Those are all fantastic. The Unicorns is probably the best mascot possible for a high school.

Are the Whitefaces/Cotton Pickers still around? I imagine those might be a bit... controversial.

Fighting Porcupines sound pretty intense. North Dakota has the Central Cass Squirrels, but they're apparently a bit more docile.

I haven't been out in Idaho long enough to learn the high school mascots out here, but I imagine there are some gems.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Those are all fantastic. The Unicorns is probably the best mascot possible for a high school.

Are the Whitefaces/Cotton Pickers still around? I imagine those might be a bit... controversial.

Fighting Porcupines sound pretty intense. North Dakota has the Central Cass Squirrels, but they're apparently a bit more docile.

I haven't been out in Idaho long enough to learn the high school mascots out here, but I imagine there are some gems.

Whiteface is a type of Hereford cow..so it makes sense in that regard.

I believe Robstown still uses the Cotton Pickers name.

Ginsbach
June 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Whiteface is a type of Hereford cow..so it makes sense in that regard.

I believe Robstown still uses the Cotton Pickers name.

That makes quite a bit more sense. There's a cow mascot in North Dakota that always made me laugh - the New Salem Holsteins.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM
That makes quite a bit more sense. There's a cow mascot in North Dakota that always made me laugh - the New Salem Holsteins.

I'm trying to think of some other good ones we have...the Wampuscats is one...the Moguls is one too

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Clintonville, WI is The Truckers. I always loved that one.

TheRevSFA
June 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
More Texas Mascots

Baytown-Lee Ganders
Brazosport Exporters
Cuero Gobblers
Dallas-Washington Pegasus
Hamlin Pied Pipers
Weatherford Kangaroos
Roscoe Plowboys

Here's a list of a lot of them

http://kylgrafx.com/outlook/mascots.htm

bobcathpdevil56
June 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Hebron Bandits:)

bobcathpdevil56
June 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Forman Phantoms
Cogswell Cogs
Rutland Roosters
Sheldon Shadows
Ayr Rifles
Fairmount Pheasants
Starkweather Stormkings
Hebron Brickmakers
Ashley Aces
Antelope Atoms

Oops maybe they are no longer the Hebron Bandits

Hammerhead
June 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cogswell should sue Hanna-Barbera for using Cogswell Cogs on The Jetsons.
Brickmakers isn't that unusual. It's the big industry in town just like meat packing used to be big (maybe still is) in West Fargo.

Forman Phantoms
Cogswell Cogs
Rutland Roosters
Sheldon Shadows
Ayr Rifles
Fairmount Pheasants
Starkweather Stormkings
Hebron Brickmakers
Ashley Aces
Antelope Atoms

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Brickmakers isn't that unusual. It's the big industry in town just like meat packing used to be big (maybe still is) in West Fargo.

They totally should have changed it to the Cogswell Cannons in tribute to Tony Stein.

Gil Dobie
June 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Grand Forks Central Redskins

Screamin_Eagle174
June 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
The University Of North Dakota Fighting Fettes
The University Of North Dakota Buffalo Bill Fettes

or

The University Of North Dakota Eimeria Bovis
http://www.bisoncentre.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=214&Itemid=313

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cogswell Cogs is a terrible name. I hate schools that do that. The town across the river is the Rock Island Rocks.

Ginsbach
June 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Forman Phantoms
Cogswell Cogs
Rutland Roosters
Sheldon Shadows
Ayr Rifles
Fairmount Pheasants
Starkweather Stormkings
Hebron Brickmakers
Ashley Aces
Antelope Atoms

Oops maybe they are no longer the Hebron Bandits

The mascots of teams in Class B in North Dakota change all the time due to school closings, consolidations, and co-ops. Hebron was the Brickmakers, the co-oped for just football with Glen Ullin to be the Glen Ullin/Hebron Bandits and then co-oped all sports to become Glen Ullin/Hebron Bearkats.

When I was in high school, we had a whole slew of different mascots depending on sports and co-op status. Hankinson Pirates, Hankinson/Fairmount/Campbell-Tintah Titans, Wapheton/Breckenridge/Hankinson Huskies, Tri-State (Rosholt/Fairmount/Campbell-Tintah/Hankinson) Tigers, Lidgerwood/Hankinson/Fairmount... It gets confusing. Even worse, those teams don't always last - HFCT was only around for 3 years, WBH was a 5 year deal, Tri-State was only a few years.

They totally should have changed it to the Cogswell Cannons in tribute to Tony Stein.

Cogswell Cogs is a terrible name. I hate schools that do that. The town across the river is the Rock Island Rocks.

Cogswell High School hasn't been around in numerous decades. They've been absorbed into the Sargent Central Cadets.

It may not be unusual, but it's still unique and one of my favorites in the state.

Gil Dobie
June 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM

You'd love the Wisconsin HS, Elk Mound Mounders.

AmsterBison
June 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM
You'd love the Wisconsin HS, Elk Mound Mounders.

My all-time favorite ND HS nickname (which somebody already listed) is the Starkweather Stormkings, but the Kenmare Honkers is a close second.

semobison
June 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM
The Honkers is great, how about the Garrison Troopers, or the old Belfield Bantams sometimes called The little fighting cocks!

UAalum72
June 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I've always liked the Greenwich (NY) Witches, to make sure you know their defiantly local pronunciation of the town name as 'Green - witch' and not 'Gren-itch' as it's pronounced in England, Connecticut, and the Village in NYC.

Also the Doane Stuart Thunder Chicken. The tiny interfaith (Episcopalian/Catholic) school's mascot stands 6 and a half feet tall, is yellow and orange, and brandishes a lightning bolt. It's also known to play the bagpipes. The school gym is known as the "Chicken Coop."

appsfan
June 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Here are a few from NC:
Asheboro Blue Comets
(Greensboro) Grimsley Whirlies
(Kanapolis) Brown Wonders
Rocky Mount Gryphons
(Winston-Salem) Reynolds Demons

ursus arctos horribilis
June 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
There was a shirt in Red's in Missoula for the Orofinio, ID high school. The Orifino Maniacs.

http://www.rbsportinggoods.com/images/emb_orofino_maniacs.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qh5bbu-IUsI/TwFZygba-NI/AAAAAAAAAc0/U1olEROnrcY/s1600/MANIAC.jpg

BucBisonAtLarge
June 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Nathan Hale-Ray High School in East Haddam, CT, the mighty "Little Noises"-
The "Little Noises" references the rumbles accompanying the low intensity earthquakes that have been happening in the lower Connecticut River valley since the precolonial era. The other name of the village is Moodus, from the Algonquin word 'machimoodus' for 'little noises'

UNDColorado
June 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Then you will love this: the Cando, Odnacs...at least that's what they were in youth hockey back in the day.