PDA

View Full Version : App Football, amazing job!

GlassOnion
June 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
BOONE, N.C. — Three Appalachian State University athletic programs — men’s cross country, field hockey and football — have earned NCAA Public Recognition Awards for ranking among the top 10 percent nationally in their respective sports in the latest multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores, the NCAA announced on Thursday.

The APR provides a real-time look at a program’s academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each scholarship student-athlete. The APR formula accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team’s academic performance. Programs earning the latest Public Recognition Awards have compiled multi-year APRs that rank among the top 10 percent in their respective sports over a four-year period beginning in 2007-08 and ending in 2010-11.

The award is a first for Appalachian State’s football program and the first for any Southern Conference gridiron squad since Furman and Wofford earned the distinction in 2006-07. Of the 14 NCAA Division I FCS schools to receive the prestigious recognition on Thursday, Appalachian is the only to offer a full allotment of 63 football scholarships and the lone public institution. Eight of the 14 hail from the academically esteemed Ivy League. The Mountaineers have boasted the SoCon’s highest APR for four-straight years (2007-08 through 2010-11) while also winning the conference championship each season under head coach Jerry Moore.

xsmileyclapx

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205438813

cbarrier90
June 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
This thread is going to end well...

ursus arctos horribilis
June 14th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Very cool.

Apphole
June 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Smart and athletic, the whole package!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
...Appalachian is the only to offer a full allotment of 63 football scholarships and the lone public institution....

Way to hit all the hot buttons in one release... no other SoCon school offering that many schollies... slamming Georgia Southern's academics... questioning their role in the SoCon... I like it! xlolx

Apphole
June 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
This thread is going to end well...

Oh yeah thats right. I forgot how this works. Cue UNCc fans/Elon phans /that one Chatty fan in 5....4....3...

melloware13
June 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
It's good to see the positive side of APR making news.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Smart and athletic, the whole package!

Well...graduating and not transferring, anyway.

BEAR
June 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
What kind of APR do you need to get into this?

GlassOnion
June 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
What kind of APR do you need to get into this?

Dont think the NCAA has posted the whole thing yet, just the goodies. But, the article states that Field Hockey and Men's Cross Country earned a perfect 1,000 over the 4 year period, meaning they retained and graduated every single scholarship player in the past 4 years. I think the FB score is up close to 980 this year, and 970s in previous years.

ASUMountaineer
June 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well...graduating and not transferring, anyway.

And, that's bad how?

henfan
June 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM
No bad news in this thread. Congrats to the Apps.

Hammerhead
June 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'm sure they grade on a curve if App State is anything like Appalachian Emergency Room on SNL. :p

http://daisyfae.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/snl-appalachian-emergency-room.jpg

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM
And, that's bad how?

Not bad at all. But to imply APR is an indication how "smart" the team is....don't kid yourself.

GtFllsGriz
June 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Congrats to App State!

phoenix3
June 14th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah thats right. I forgot how this works. Cue UNCc fans/Elon phans /that one Chatty fan in 5....4....3...

Congrats to App football. Way to work!

WH49er
June 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Once again you can't keep us out of your mouth even in a thread about your student-athletes.

Congrats to all the athletes who have kept their eyes on the true prize and embraced a great opportunity xsmileyclapx

hapapp
June 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I sometimes think Apphole should have gone to UNCC as he seems to be green with envy. I'm disappointed that we still have no FBS home and the reasons that some have one. However, I see no reason to try and undue what has been done by insulting other schools. The more App fans rant and rave about it, the more open we are to ridicule.

91Niner
June 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
The Charlotte 49ers' men's tennis, women's tennis and men's cross country teams have won NCAA Public Recognition Awards for ranking among the top 10 percent nationally in their sports in the last multi-year Academic Progress Rates (APR).

This is the fourth consecutive year the women's tennis team has been honored, and the second straight year for the men's cross country team. It's the first time since 2004-05 for the men's tennis team.

The 49ers have had at least one team honored in each of the program's seven years.

Read more here: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2012/06/3-charlotte-49ers-teams-get-apr-honors.html#storylink=cpy

GSU EAGLES
June 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
And a special congratulations to the following individuals for earning perfect 4.0's last semester at App State

Football

Jimmy Dean Smith - Major - GHT (Goat Herding Techniques)
Billy Ray Brown - Major - MSC (Moonshine Still Construction)
Moon Pie Jones - Major - CGSFCPM (Conversion of Goat ***** to Fertilizer for Corn for Prodcution of Moonshine)

cbarrier90
June 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM
The Charlotte 49ers' men's tennis, women's tennis and men's cross country teams have won NCAA Public Recognition Awards for ranking among the top 10 percent nationally in their sports in the last multi-year Academic Progress Rates (APR).

This is the fourth consecutive year the women's tennis team has been honored, and the second straight year for the men's cross country team. It's the first time since 2004-05 for the men's tennis team.

The 49ers have had at least one team honored in each of the program's seven years.

Read more here: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2012/06/3-charlotte-49ers-teams-get-apr-honors.html#storylink=cpy

And a special congratulations to the following individuals for earning perfect 4.0's last semester at App State

Football

Moon Pie Jones - Major - CGSFCPM (Conversion of Goat ***** to Fertilizer for Corn for Prodcution of Moonshine)

Thanks for not disappointing, guys!

Apphole
June 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I sometimes think Apphole should have gone to UNCC as he seems to be green with envy. I'm disappointed that we still have no FBS home and the reasons that some have one. However, I see no reason to try and undue what has been done by insulting other schools. The more App fans rant and rave about it, the more open we are to ridicule.

I sure could have gone there. I was accepted a week after applying.

Anyway, I mentioned Elon as well. Just expected either a jab at App or a "oh yeah? Well look what our school did." I should have switched GaSo for Elon.

Oh look! An example of my prediction right after your comment!

Solidarity Appy

Eaglesrus
June 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Congratulations to all the ASU student-athletes that contributed to making this happen; well done!

Tod
June 14th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Always good to hear that students are performing well!

ASUMountaineer
June 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Not bad at all. But to imply APR is an indication how "smart" the team is....don't kid yourself.

I didn't imply it, so no kidding here.

ASUMountaineer
June 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Football

Jealousy is very unbecoming. Moonshine Still Construction is a vital way of life, and clearly a badass major. The other two, I mean...someone has to herd the goats to Eagle Creek to crap, and anything that aids the production of moonshine should be appreciated.

Lastly, it's unfortunate that GSU EAGLES did not receive recognition for excellent academic performance as he misspelled "production" when attempting to talk smack about academic performance. :D

AshevilleApp2
June 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Jealousy is very unbecoming. Moonshine Still Construction is a vital way of life, and clearly a badass major. The other two, I mean...someone has to herd the goats to Eagle Creek to crap, and anything that aids the production of moonshine should be appreciated.

Lastly, it's unfortunate that GSU EAGLES did not receive recognition for excellent academic performance as he misspelled "production" when attempting to talk smack about academic performance. :D

Beat me to it! xlolx

walliver
June 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Football

I don't see any issue here. These three fine student-athletes have received education that qualifies them for real-life careers. These fine young men will start their profitable businesses immediately after graduation and contribute immediately to the public welfare. Unlike all the english, PE, history, and economics majors (from just about every school) who will be dependent on checks from mom and dad while they look for work.:)

MorgantonAPPAlum
June 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Football

Someone read my thesis.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I didn't imply it, so no kidding here.

I know you didn't. Someone else did.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 15th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Very nice for App. Turnover also factors in negatively to APR and GSU's 4 coaches in 6 seasons from 2005-2010 had a huge impact on APR. I'm as proud of our Eagles football team for posting the highest team GPA for the second consecutive year.

One thing about FCS is that the vast majority of athletes need to earn the degree because we're not part of the NFL Farm System.

alvinkayak6
June 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Always good to hear that students are performing well!

It's more the absence of bad academic performance than anybody winning the Rhodes scholarship.

alvinkayak6
June 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Congrats to App State!

Getting a pat on the back from the NCAA is like getting a potato chip from a trash-stealing raccoon.

EKU-n-GSU
June 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Very nice for App. Turnover also factors in negatively to APR and GSU's 4 coaches in 6 seasons from 2005-2010 had a huge impact on APR. I'm as proud of our Eagles football team for posting the highest team GPA for the second consecutive year.

One thing about FCS is that the vast majority of athletes need to earn the degree because we're not part of the NFL Farm System.

From the GSU Athletics website:

"Georgia Southern student-athletes achieved a record grade point average of 2.96 for the 2011-2012 academic year and several teams posted record single-season GPAs this past spring semester. The Eagles tallied a 3.0 GPA for the spring 2012 semester, topping their record effort of 2.92 set during fall 2011. The women's athletics programs all registered team GPAs of 3.0 and above for both the spring semester and the academic year while the men's teams combined for a 2.81 for the spring, their highest-ever single-semester GPA.

Contributing to the spring semester GPA record, 224 student-athletes representing all 15 teams posted GPAs of 3.0 or better. Seventy-five Eagles were eligible for the Dean's List with GPAs of 3.5-3.99 and 44 Eagles were listed on the most recent President's List with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Football had the most 4.0 student-athletes on the President's and Dean's List with seven and 11, respectively. Women's Soccer and Swimming & Diving each had six members of their teams on the President's List. Ten Eagle Softball players were the most by any one women's team represented on the Dean's List.

"The record grade point averages for the academic year and this last semester are further evidence of our student-athletes' commitment to excellence in the classroom," said Georgia Southern Director of Athletics Sam Baker. "While GPA may be only one of the indicators of academic success, as a department we are proud of the efforts of our teams, coaches and academic support staff as these numbers continue to rise."

With a department-best 3.42 GPA for the 2011-2012 academic year, Eagle Volleyball took top team honors for the second straight year as well as posting the best spring semester GPA with a 3.42. Fourteen members of the squad earned GPAs of 3.0 or better with six on the Dean's List and four on the President's List this past semester. The Georgia Southern Men's Soccer team finished 2011-2012 with the highest GPA among the men's programs with a 3.22 for the year. Seven were named to the Dean's List with five members of the team on the President's List. Men's Tennis had the highest single-semester team GPA with a 3.39 this spring semester.

Georgia Southern student-athletes must be enrolled full-time with a minimum of 12 credit hours during the course of a semester as a requirement of their participation in NCAA competition. The GPAs comparisons are based on semester grades since Georgia Southern converted from the quarter system following the 1997-98 academic year."

As far as I'm concerned, I'm elated every time I see any student-athlete doing well. College-level athletics is a demanding full-time job; throw in a 12-hr. minimum load (labs don't usually count!) and they have a pretty tough row to hoe. Congrats to ASU, GSU, and all student-athletes that didn't forget the academics part of their commitment.

firemoose
June 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM
From the GSU Athletics website:

"Georgia Southern student-athletes achieved a record grade point average of 2.96 for the 2011-2012 academic year and several teams posted record single-season GPAs this past spring semester. The Eagles tallied a 3.0 GPA for the spring 2012 semester, topping their record effort of 2.92 set during fall 2011. The women's athletics programs all registered team GPAs of 3.0 and above for both the spring semester and the academic year while the men's teams combined for a 2.81 for the spring, their highest-ever single-semester GPA.

Contributing to the spring semester GPA record, 224 student-athletes representing all 15 teams posted GPAs of 3.0 or better. Seventy-five Eagles were eligible for the Dean's List with GPAs of 3.5-3.99 and 44 Eagles were listed on the most recent President's List with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Football had the most 4.0 student-athletes on the President's and Dean's List with seven and 11, respectively. Women's Soccer and Swimming & Diving each had six members of their teams on the President's List. Ten Eagle Softball players were the most by any one women's team represented on the Dean's List.

"The record grade point averages for the academic year and this last semester are further evidence of our student-athletes' commitment to excellence in the classroom," said Georgia Southern Director of Athletics Sam Baker. "While GPA may be only one of the indicators of academic success, as a department we are proud of the efforts of our teams, coaches and academic support staff as these numbers continue to rise."

With a department-best 3.42 GPA for the 2011-2012 academic year, Eagle Volleyball took top team honors for the second straight year as well as posting the best spring semester GPA with a 3.42. Fourteen members of the squad earned GPAs of 3.0 or better with six on the Dean's List and four on the President's List this past semester. The Georgia Southern Men's Soccer team finished 2011-2012 with the highest GPA among the men's programs with a 3.22 for the year. Seven were named to the Dean's List with five members of the team on the President's List. Men's Tennis had the highest single-semester team GPA with a 3.39 this spring semester.

Georgia Southern student-athletes must be enrolled full-time with a minimum of 12 credit hours during the course of a semester as a requirement of their participation in NCAA competition. The GPAs comparisons are based on semester grades since Georgia Southern converted from the quarter system following the 1997-98 academic year."

As far as I'm concerned, I'm elated every time I see any student-athlete doing well. College-level athletics is a demanding full-time job; throw in a 12-hr. minimum load (labs don't usually count!) and they have a pretty tough row to hoe. Congrats to ASU, GSU, and all student-athletes that didn't forget the academics part of their commitment.

+1 to GSU. I'm glad to see this from all of our schools. Shows that we aren't just a parking places for a bunch of guys that can only produce on the field (see UNC-Chapel Hill)

AppMan
June 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM

I'm going to cringe when the ASU's men's basketball APR is released. Considering the amount of player turnover we've had the past two years ASU may wind up in the minus column.

hapapp
June 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Can't resist the dig can you? When you dislike someone you don't give them an inch. xsmashx

Appaholic
June 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
All this with a couple of gang rape investigations....see Montana, you can have it both ways....

BR54Niner
June 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
All this with a couple of gang rape investigations....see Montana, you can have it both ways....

xdohxxhurrayx OMG! App State = poor man's Griz xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
xdohxxhurrayx OMG! App State = poor man's Griz xlolx

BR, don't start stepping on my lines you SOB. This is where Appa & I reside and you will not start infringing on me and Appa's shtick.

It was a good line though.

IN YOUR FACE APPAHOLIC!

Appaholic
June 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
BR, don't start stepping on my lines you SOB. This is where Appa & I reside and you will not start infringing on me and Appa's shtick.

IN YOUR FACE APPAHOLIC!

Glad I could help...you still coming to game Sept? We can debate which school has handled reported rapes by active football players in more insensitive manner....

ASUMountaineer
June 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM

IN YOUR FACE APPAHOLIC!

I bet you say that a lot whenever you two get together. Alpha says you have excellent aim. xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I bet you say that a lot whenever you two get together. Alpha says you have excellent aim. xnodx

True, my nickname is "William Tell Flesh Cannon" so you know it's true.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Glad I could help...you still coming to game Sept? We can debate which school has handled reported rapes by active football players in more insensitive manner....

Give a call when you get the opportunity.

ASUMountaineer
June 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM
True, my nickname is "William Tell Flesh Cannon" so you know it's true.

xsmileyclapx