PDA

View Full Version : Your Rival Game - Question

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Do you ever get sick of watching your team beat your rival every year?

I dont know much about the east coast football teams and their rivalry games simply because I dont care about anything east of Nebraska. But when things are so one sided and its basically a gimmie game each year do you ever tire of beating the bejeezus out of the bobca....I mean your rival?

McNeese75
June 9th, 2012, 01:08 PM
If it is a TRUE rivalry, you will NEVER get tired of beating them :D

Apphole
June 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM

I dont know much about the east coast football teams and their rivalry games simply because I dont care about anything east of Nebraska. But when things are so one sided and its basically a gimmie game each year do you ever tire of beating the bejeezus out of the bobca....I mean your rival?

The ASU/WCU rivalry is one-way. It's an annual beat down that only purple kitties care about. Easily the most one-sided "rivalry" in the FCS.

melloware13
June 9th, 2012, 01:35 PM
The ASU/WCU rivalry is one-way. It's an annual beat down that only purple kitties care about. Easily the most one-sided "rivalry" in the FCS.

Right now, the "Route 1 Rivalry" between UD and DSU is 3-0 UD with a scoring margin of 116-24, and all games played and scheduled are in Newark. However, Villanova remains as the primary rivalry, which is pretty much split, and the CAA has not allowed us to play JMU the past two years.

Apphole
June 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Right now, the "Route 1 Rivalry" between UD and DSU is 3-0 UD with a scoring margin of 116-24, and all games played and scheduled are in Newark. However, Villanova remains as the primary rivalry, which is pretty much split, and the CAA has not allowed us to play JMU the past two years.

56-18-1

HailSzczur
June 9th, 2012, 03:17 PM

23-21-1, and 5 of the last 6 isn't exactly split down the middle :p

But no I never get tired of it. It isn't even so much that I hate Delaware, its just almost always one of the best and most competetive of the season. I look foreard to the game every year, no matter how good or bad either team is it makes for a great game.

Ivytalk
June 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
If Harvard loses to Yale, I'm usually over it by the next day. It's a hard- fought game, but there's mutual respect and admiration. Penn, on the other hand...

Seawolf97
June 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Stonybrook -Liberty either one of us can win the conference title or kill eachother trying .

Go...gate
June 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Love beating Cornell, but also beating Princeton (or Rutgers, Army or Syracuse, if we ever play them again).

cbarrier90
June 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM
GSU is easily the primary rivalry. A win never gets old.

As much as I'd love for a western NC rivalry with WCU, it's to the point where if the game ends with a two-score margin, it's worrisome (see 2009 game.)

Beating Furman is nice, it just doesn't have the same rivalry flavor it did back in the day. For the older guard of ASU fans, I think they still regard Furman as the primary rivalry.

TheRevSFA
June 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Beating Northwestern State means we get the Chief which is great...

But winning or losing against Sam in any sport is remembered for a long time

813Jag
June 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM
There's no way beating Grambling gets old. Now losing 4 straight that gets old, really quickly xreadx

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM
23-21-1, and 5 of the last 6 isn't exactly split down the middle :p

But no I never get tired of it. It isn't even so much that I hate Delaware, its just almost always one of the best and most competetive of the season. I look foreard to the game every year, no matter how good or bad either team is it makes for a great game.

Thats what I was getting at, we dont have a competitive rivalry and most games are not close so there really isnt anything to look forward to. I want it to be a good game but its usually over by halftime.

Its so bad that if the bobcats went on a 30 game winning streak they still wouldnt be above .500 against us.

bobcathpdevil56
June 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Calm down, over the last ten years it is 6-4 in favor of the Gizzlies. It is no longer the 1990s

CropDuster
June 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Georgia Southern is kind of weird since we don't have an in state opponent. Older fans will say Furman is our biggest rival, but more recently App State and even Wofford have provided more close and important games.

ngineer
June 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM
NEVER. Currently, Lehigh is on a four game winning streak against the oldest of rivals in the United States:Lafayette, as game 148 will kickoff this coming November. Lafayette has about a 10 game edge in the series which goes back to 1884. There were numerous years in the late 1800's and early 1900's when two games were played each year...and one year, 3 games were played! hence, the more games than years from the first game. Lafayette dominated the series from about 20 years from the late '20s to late '40's (I think Lehigh might have won one two in the span). Things evened out the following 20 years, and since 1971, Lehigh has has a significant upper hand that has gradually narrowed Lafayette's once chasm wide lead. I've seen 41 LU-LC games, am now 60 years old, and believe I will indeed see the day when Lehigh will take the lead in the series. (;-)

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Love beating Cornell, but also beating Princeton (or Rutgers, Army or Syracuse, if we ever play them again).

xnodx

Losing to them is even worse. At least their hockey team is a better program than ours...

HailSzczur
June 9th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Thats what I was getting at, we dont have a competitive rivalry and most games are not close so there really isnt anything to look forward to. I want it to be a good game but its usually over by halftime.

Its so bad that if the bobcats went on a 30 game winning streak they still wouldnt be above .500 against us.

I get what you're saying. Sounds like what we have in basketball with St. Joes. They like to think there is a rivalry there, a 'Holy War', when in reality its 43-25 and we've won 11 of the last 15. But at least yours is an instate thing and you can chalk it up to bragging rights or something of all else fails

Hellgate60
June 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Calm down, over the last ten years it is 6-4 in favor of the Gizzlies. It is no longer the 1990s

It's kinda sad that you can do the last 26 years and the cats still have only four wins against the Griz.

Tribal
June 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM
W&M vs UR is the oldest rivalry in the south, one which the Tribe enjoys a marginal advantage.

I wouldn't call it a "rivalry" (when I think of rivalry, I think of total disdain for your opponent) but UNH hasn't beaten W&M since the 90's. Some exceptional Cats teams have lost to poor Tribe teams during that stretch.

bjtheflamesfan
June 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
VMI-Liberty was our big one, although with Liberty having never lost @VMI and the Roos only winning once ever in Lynchburg, it dos get tiresome. Stony Brook is quickly becoming a rival with both teams winning in each other's house.

LakesBison
June 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
NDSU BEATING MINNESOTA all the time gets repetitive,Ndsu is only 1-3 vs rival UNI, BUT 1-0 in FCS.titles and beating sdsu handily last 2 years has become borrrinng..

Dayum, me drunk, forgot not to post here, ooops, sorry mom!

I-16Bandit
June 10th, 2012, 01:33 AM
NDSU BEATING MINNESOTA all the time gets repetitive,Ndsu is only 1-3 vs rival UNI, BUT 1-0 in FCS.titles and beating sdsu handily last 2 years has become borrrinng..

Dayum, me drunk, forgot not to post here, ooops, sorry mom!

No no... I think your mom told you to NEVER post here. Period.

blueballs
June 10th, 2012, 07:28 AM
GSU/App is an incredible rivalry...

The crowds are always huge at either place, the game always has conference and national implications (either GSU, App, or both have been in at least the semis 11 out of the last 14 years), and the rivalry is pretty even.

The rivalry has also produced some epic games, moments, and memories too- GSU's FG on the last play in '94, App's defeat by 1 pt of the 1999 GSU juggarnaut, GSU's end zone int to win in 2000, JR Revere's performance when App snapped Peterson's 100 yd game streak in 2001, the goalpost through the bus in '03, Jayson Foster and GSU ending App's home win streak in '07, and the OT games of '06, '08, and '10.

Some of the fans/alums/former players of other programs I've hosted at the App/GSU game- Cap'n Cat, D1B, Ivytalk- noted how intense the rivalry and play is. It just doesn't get any better than that at this level.

kdinva
June 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
VMI-Liberty was our big one, although with Liberty having never lost @ VMI

1995: VMI 50; LU 31, in Lex..........
2002: VMI 38; LU 14, in Lex......
2003: VMI should have won in Lynchburg, but a major Keydet meltdown (back to back VMI turnovers in LU territory w/VMI up 28-17) in the 4th period gave the game to the Flames.

Gil Dobie
June 10th, 2012, 08:17 AM
NDSU and SDSU have become a pretty good rivalry in FBS, but with USD now in the picture that may change from the SDSU perspective. UNI is probably the next closest in the new conference, reviving an old DII series. We'll have to see how history treats the Panther rivals part deaux.

darell1976
June 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Beating your rival never gets old its getting beaten by your rival that gets tiring. When NDSU beat UND for 12 straight years 1981-1992 it seemed like that game couldn't get over fast enough. Especially in the mid 80's when UND was getting thumped 63-0 or 49-0. It was horrible to watch (from my fanbase point of view), then it seemed the streak would never end in the early 90's...UND would be within a few points only to have NDSU prevail at the end by either a pick (1992) or a QB sack in the redzone (1991). So is it tiring beating your rival....HELL NO!!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Beating your rival never gets old its getting beaten by your rival that gets tiring. When NDSU beat UND for 12 straight years 1981-1992 it seemed like that game couldn't get over fast enough. Especially in the mid 80's when UND was getting thumped 63-0 or 49-0. It was horrible to watch (from my fanbase point of view), then it seemed the streak would never end in the early 90's...UND would be within a few points only to have NDSU prevail at the end by either a pick (1992) or a QB sack in the redzone (1991). So is it tiring beating your rival....HELL NO!!!

So you can relate to montana state...good to know.

GeauxPokes09
June 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
When you have not lost to rival at home in over 2 decades, is it still a rival?

McNeese72
June 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
When you have not lost to rival at home in over 2 decades, is it still a rival?

Even when they have only agreed to play you once in over two decades and got their butts kicked when they did (wonder if it will be another 21 years before they agree to a game again), the embers are still smouldering. ;)

Doc

SFA 93
June 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
During the Coach Harper Era

Sam Houston State (2-3) 35-49-2 Overall
Northwestern State Louisiana (3-2) 23-42-3 Overall

GOODY26
June 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Norfolk State biggest rivalary is Hampton U. I don't think I'll ever tire of us beating Hampton.xnodx

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 10th, 2012, 02:59 PM
The last time the bobcats had control of our "rivalry" was 1910, by 1955 we were up 40-10.

1986 is when this thing started to get really ugly and by 2012 the series currently stands at 71-36-5

One other side note there were games in 1905, 1906, 1907, 1915, 1918 and then again in 1942-1945 that were not played or this series would be 80-36-5 or if I score it like the bobcats do and count ties as wins it would be 85-36. When your rival has to go on a 50 year win streak to go up 1 game its not really fun anymore.

xcoffeex

Apphole
June 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM

The crowds are always huge at either place, the game always has conference and national implications (either GSU, App, or both have been in at least the semis 11 out of the last 14 years), and the rivalry is pretty even.

The rivalry has also produced some epic games, moments, and memories too- GSU's FG on the last play in '94, App's defeat by 1 pt of the 1999 GSU juggarnaut, GSU's end zone int to win in 2000, JR Revere's performance when App snapped Peterson's 100 yd game streak in 2001, the goalpost through the bus in '03, Jayson Foster and GSU ending App's home win streak in '07, and the OT games of '06, '08, and '10.

Some of the fans/alums/former players of other programs I've hosted at the App/GSU game- Cap'n Cat, D1B, Ivytalk- noted how intense the rivalry and play is. It just doesn't get any better than that at this level.

Agreed

Sader87
June 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
We really don't have a "football rival" anymore...it was BC before we went PL, but even that rivalry had become very one-sided by the time it ended in 1986 (we only won in 1966, 1977 and 1978 from 1965-1986)...I'd contend that it should be Colgate today.

Ivytalk
June 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM

I'm a believer, blueballs! GSU-ASU is as good as it gets.

Engineer86
June 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
LU-LC beating them never gets old, as long as they have the historical lead. But there is so much more that the game. The tailgate is a mutual hate/respect party. The discount to LU's season tickets is the ability to get an LU-LC tickets. You want into the game, buy season tickets or scalp.

WileECoyote06
June 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
After a 12 game losing streak from 1989 to 2002; NCCU has kept it pretty even with A&T over the past decade:
NCCU: 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010
NC A&T: 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011

Aggie Pride Died!

FormerPokeCenter
June 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Even when they have only agreed to play you once in over two decades and got their butts kicked when they did (wonder if it will be another 21 years before they agree to a game again), the embers are still smouldering. ;)

Doc

Doc, he's a 2009 graduate, so I think he's referring to the fact that McNeese hasn't lost to Northwestern in the Hole since 1988. Hell, he might not have been alive for the tail end of the regular series with USL... ;)

I wouldnt' call USL a rivalry....they're not actually our rival. Our bitch? Sure. Our whipping boy? Certainly....rival?

Not in this lifetime ;)

Go...gate
June 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
We really don't have a "football rival" anymore...it was BC before we went PL, but even that rivalry had become very one-sided by the time it ended in 1986 (we only won in 1966, 1977 and 1978 from 1965-1986)...I'd contend that it should be Colgate today.

HC-Colgate has been a very durable rivalry over eight or nine decades. We have played each other in all sports in good times and bad and the schools have a lot in common and have great respect for each other.

kdinva
June 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Norfolk State biggest rivalary is Hampton U. I don't think I'll ever tire of us beating Hampton.xnodx

This game should always be the final game of the regular season.........I ihope both AD's are working on that xcoffeex

Hammerhead
June 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I still maintain North Dakota is NDSU's biggest rival even though we haven't paid in years. One of Rocky Hager's good quotes is around the 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cwbop13A9yQ#t=121s

Another good quote of his is that loosing to those knuckleheads means a year of hell.

LakesBison
June 10th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Bullcrap! Moveon.org

clenz
June 10th, 2012, 10:46 PM
The only team I consider a rival of UNI is SIU.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 06:51 AM
The only team I consider a rival of UNI is SIU.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

and that is why a rivalry isn't a rivalry just because they tell us it is.

Dakota Marker my ***.

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 11th, 2012, 08:05 AM
UNH will play Maine for the 100th time this year. UNH leads the series, 48-43-8

More even then most of the rivalry games reported on this thread

carney2
June 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM
If Harvard loses to Yale, I'm usually over it by the next day.

If true (Is it? Think hard. Explore your heart of hearts and deep down in the marrow of your bones.) then you're not a fan. I wondered why you spent so much time pondering that ball that delicately balanced on the roof of Lafayette's Bourger Varsity House at the last Harvard @ Lafayette game. Just not focused on what really matters.

As for me, still kicking the dog over last year's "no show" performance at Squawkville.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM
UNH will play Maine for the 100th time this year. UNH leads the series, 48-43-8

More even then most of the rivalry games reported on this thread

NDSU and UND had played 110 times before they stopped 10 years ago.

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Why did they stop?

WAIT.....how about starting a thread about UND and NDSU football so we have "one" on the site? Then you could discuss that and inform everyone about 2 programs we know nothing about due to lack of information. Kosher?

No_Skill
June 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Why did they stop?

WAIT.....how about starting a thread about UND and NDSU football so we have "one" on the site? Then you could discuss that and inform everyone about 2 programs we know nothing about due to lack of information. Kosher?

That's one hell of an idea!

I also think it would be a great idea if you would start some "clever" threads in an attempt to troll for some unsuspecting MSU fans. Savvy?

Sam_Kats
June 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I'd put The Battle of the Piney Woods up against ANY FCS rivalry in the country...good stuff every year, no matter the records...

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655669/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/12/1655457/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655672/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655676/3/628x471.jpg

Even though that Sam fan lost the battle, his team won the war xnodx
And, yes, Flanders landed that

Smitty
June 11th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Even though App fans hate to admit it, they still like playing WCU. You would think with a 75% chance of winning (almost what, 98.999999% now) they wouldn't be complaining. Other sports it is pretty even though.

Either way if we can get a football team going it may spark some interest back into the rivalry.

asumike83
June 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Even though App fans hate to admit it, they still like playing WCU. You would think with a 75% chance of winning (almost what, 98.999999% now) they wouldn't be complaining. Other sports it is pretty even though.

Either way if we can get a football team going it may spark some interest back into the rivalry.

I do like playing WCU, will be making my first trip to Cullowhee this year if my schedule permits the travel. Coach Speir is a hard guy to root against.

However, I do consider Georgia Southern our biggest rival. Appalachian/Georgia Southern is the best rivalry in the FCS, in my opinion.

TheRevSFA
June 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'd put The Battle of the Piney Woods up against ANY FCS rivalry in the country...good stuff every year, no matter the records...

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655669/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/12/1655457/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655672/3/628x471.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/06/24/15/1655676/3/628x471.jpg

Even though that Sam fan lost the battle, his team won the war xnodx
And, yes, Flanders landed that

I'm glad you put that photo of that dude getting popped. He shouldn't have come over running his mouth..and THEN he shouldn't have thrown the first punch.

You don't throw the first punch unless you know you're going to land it.

Apphole
June 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM

I don't mind winning the jug at home. It's sort of like playing NC A&T or Central. Playing in the Whee isn't so glorious. It adds to the bush league misperception from our larger peers (ECU ect) that we're struggling to overcome.

Without question GSU is our main rival. Especially the last two years. Upsetting each respective #1 at home and storming the field.

Smitty
June 11th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I don't mind winning the jug at home. It's sort of like playing NC A&T or Central. Playing in the Whee isn't so glorious. It adds to the bush league misperception from our larger peers (ECU ect) that we're struggling to overcome.

Without question GSU is our main rival. Especially the last two years. Upsetting each respective #1 at home and storming the field.

Yup hopefully with the new administration we can get the much needed upgrades. The video board was a good addition but something has to be done with the press box. Its amazing at how wins can change the whole experience...

WileECoyote06
June 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
This game should always be the final game of the regular season.........I ihope both AD's are working on that xcoffeex

I've never understood this. I've always figured the schools must prefer the game in October.

dmksioux
June 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
So you can relate to montana state...good to know.

Except that, unlike MSU-UM series, UND leads the all time series 62-45-3 and they lead in "Nickle Trophy" games 35-30.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Except that, unlike MSU-UM series, UND leads the all time series 62-45-3 and they lead in "Nickle Trophy" games 35-30.

yes but we lead in spelling Nickel correctly in this thread 1-0

Gil Dobie
June 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM

What is the all-time series with both team playing each other in the same division? NDSU was listed as NAIA for a number of years. Just curious as UND generally does good against NAIA teams.

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM

You are kind of a douchebag even for a commie liberal. Maybe it was a simple tyop?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
You are kind of a douchebag even for a commie liberal. Maybe it was a simple tyop?

A simple what? Better a douchebag than an asshole with no command of the language.

darell1976
June 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
What is the all-time series with both team playing each other in the same division? NDSU was listed as NAIA for a number of years. Just curious as UND generally does good against NAIA teams.

What years? The NCC was created in 1922... so 1894-1921?

UND was 14-9-1 against NDSU in those years.

dmksioux
June 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Congrats on leading at something...:p

Gil Dobie
June 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM
What years? The NCC was created in 1922... so 1894-1921?

UND was 14-9-1 against NDSU in those years.

They were in the same conference, but NDSU was NAIA prior to 1961. Not sure how many years.

darell1976
June 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM
They were in the same conference, but NDSU was NAIA prior to 1961. Not sure how many years.

How the hell did that work?xconfusedx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Jeez. Thank you for taking it as it was intended. xthumbsupx

Sam_Kats
June 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
A simple what? Better a douchebag than an asshole with no command of the language.

Damn, No Dak - Alpha tee'd that one up for you & you took the bait.

Well played, Alpha

Hammerhead
June 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just because NDSU doesn't need UND anymore, there is no other team I would enjoy beating the crap out of and no other loss that would cause me as much angst.

Bullcrap! Moveon.org

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Damn, No Dak - Alpha tee'd that one up for you & you took the bait.

Well played, Alpha

Sorry, my brain thinks in English.

That being said, he/she and I never miss an opportunity to call each other names.

Professor Chaos
June 11th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Bwahaha! Well played Gil.

Hammerhead
June 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
NDSU (then NDAC) and UND stopped playing each other in all sports in the 1900s.

I have a book titled AC/SU: A History of the North Dakota Agricultural College & North Dakota State University in Photographs published by the N.D. Institute for Regional Studies.

One of the historical events from 1907 is:
"The ill feelings between NDAC and UND result in the cancellation of all athletic events between the two institutions 'on account of football difficulties.' " :)

bulldog10jw
June 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
If Harvard loses to Yale, I'm usually over it by the next day. It's a hard- fought game, but there's mutual respect and admiration. Penn, on the other hand...

I think I would agree with IT if I remembered what it was actually like to beat Harvard. :(

bulldog10jw
June 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yale is actually in the unique position of having two big rivals, Harvard and Princeton. The downside for Yale is, while Harvard is THE GAME for us, Yale is THE GAME for Princeton. So Princeton is always "up" for Yale a little more than the other way around.

Of course, being up for a game hasn't helped Yale over the last ten years against Harvard, though there were a couple of games that Yale could have and maybe should have won.

mocman1990
June 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM
chattanooga's only real football rivalry dropped their program. :(

Ivytalk
June 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Yale is actually in the unique position of having two big rivals, Harvard and Princeton. The downside for Yale is, while Harvard is THE GAME for us, Yale is THE GAME for Princeton. So Princeton is always "up" for Yale a little more than the other way around.

Of course, being up for a game hasn't helped Yale over the last ten years against Harvard, though there were a couple of
games that Yale could have and maybe should have won.

And Yale is The Game for Harvard! Princeton is a bunch of effete, limp-wristed tea-sippers.

I-16Bandit
June 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Very well put! On top of all that, I think you know that you have a solid rivalry when you absolutely detest a certain school, but still respect them.

TheBisonator
June 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Also 9>1 as well. We like that too.

dmksioux
June 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Also 9>1 as well. We like that too.

That's fine, but try to stay on topic. The question was, "Do you get tired of beating your rival year after year?" I don't recall that NDSU ever beat UND in a Championship game. Head to head UND leads the series by a fairly wide margin. And to answer that question, no, I would never get tired of beating NDSU every year, every other year, or whenever we get the game back on the schedule.

LakesBison
June 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
you're NOT our rival. Northern Iowa & SDSU are, and Minnesota is a rival thanks to the *** whipping NDSU puts on them.

TheRevSFA
June 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
you're NOT our rival. Northern Iowa & SDSU are, and Minnesota is a rival thanks to the *** whipping NDSU puts on them.

Now now Sam, does NDSU and UND have a traveling trophy they play for?

dmksioux
June 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Nice to see your still monitoring the the interwebs for any UND/NDSU references Lakes!

LakesBison
June 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I had to post my Exit Poll http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?109408-The-fate-of-UND-Athletics.....&p=1801545&viewfull=1#post1801545

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Now now Sam, does NDSU and UND have a traveling trophy they play for?

Sadly, this is the last we ever saw of it.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/media/full/jpg/2010/04/01/0402-nickel-trophy-2.jpg

LakesBison
June 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
who cares, ancient history. NDSU has done more in last 8 years then they have in 100+ years.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
who cares, ancient history. NDSU has done more in last 8 years then they have in 100+ years.

That's good, you're on to the bargaining stage.

TheRevSFA
June 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Sadly, this is the last we ever saw of it.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/media/full/jpg/2010/04/01/0402-nickel-trophy-2.jpg

Then perhaps you need to play them again to get it back

Minnesota is not NDSU's rival either (though they are in your mind)

Sam_Kats
June 12th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I think Lake's biggest rival is COMMON SENSE...and it seems undefeated against you

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I think Lake's biggest rival is COMMON SENSE...and it seems undefeated against you

^^^^This^^^^

813Jag
June 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM

I think the best battles in that series took place on CS.com

LakesBison
June 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM
NDSU beat U Minnesota twice (10-9 on blocked fg for loss) , NDSU has beaten them 4 times in baseball, 2 times softball, 1 time womens bball, soccer. Theres a rivalry.

TheRevSFA
June 12th, 2012, 11:29 AM
NDSU beat U Minnesota twice (10-9 on blocked fg for loss) , NDSU has beaten them 4 times in baseball, 2 times softball, 1 time womens bball, soccer. Theres a rivalry.

They have bigger rivals, like Wisconsin and Iowa.

While you may view it as a rivalry, it's not. This isn't Sam Humann University. You don't get to make the decisions, amigo

TheBisonator
June 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM

We've beaten them almost a dozen times in baseball, as I recall.

I think we beat them at least twice, maybe 3 times this season alone.

clenz
June 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
UNI's only football rival (regardless what others want you to believe) is SIU.

Every MVFC school like to act like UNI is their rival, and maybe to their fan base we are. The only school that UNI recognizes is SIU. Missouri State used to be a "rival" as well, but UNI leads that series 27-5 (MSU has only won twice since 1990).

YSU fans see UNI as a rival, but YSU hasn't beaten UNI since 2000 and only twice since 1990

Indiana State....well prior to last year they were the worst team in the nation.

Illinois State could "maybe" make a case as they've been the most successful against UNI of anyone except SIU (4 wins since 2000). UNI still leads the series 19-9 though. UNI fans don't really see ISUr as a rival though, more of "That pesky team UNI loses too that we really shouldn't"

All three of the Dakota schools are too new to D1 to really be a rival just yet. Sure, NDSU is likely on it's way there but that's about it right now. Yeah, if you want to go back to the 60's and 70's in the D2 ranks we are "rivals".

WIU falls between ISUr and YSU....

PAllen
June 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Any day Lafayette loses in anything is a good day. If they lose to Lehigh, all the better. If it's in football, perfection.

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Is it just me or is North Dakota like the Chuck Norris of........pretty much everything?

Maybe they should be everyones rival.............even though we wouldnt stand a chance.

xcoffeex

saccat
June 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Is it just me or is North Dakota like the Chuck Norris of........pretty much everything?

Maybe they should be everyones rival.............even though we wouldnt stand a chance.

xcoffeex

What shows a true rivalry? When a fan of the team that wins the most, has to start a post on a message board to ask if it is still a rivalry...

Apphole
June 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I thought NDSU's rival was the Greenbay packers...

hawkineer
June 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM
LU-LC beating them never gets old, as long as they have the historical lead. But there is so much more that the game. The tailgate is a mutual hate/respect party. The discount to LU's season tickets is the ability to get an LU-LC tickets. You want into the game, buy season tickets or scalp. "LU-LC beating them never gets old, as long as they have the historical lead." Hell it never gets old, period.xthumbsupx "Mutual respect party"?????? I don't think so!xsmhx

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
What shows a true rivalry? When a fan of the team that wins the most, has to start a post on a message board to ask if it is still a rivalry...

Sure....

ngineer
June 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
A significant measure of how intense your rivalry is, is this Question: Do you hate losing to those scumbags more than the joy of beating them?

Hammerhead
June 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
The Grand Forks Herald thinks UND is NDSU's biggest rival.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/238690/

Published June 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
UND receives NDSU’s football banner from NCAA
By: Wayne Nelson, Grand Forks Herald

The UND athletic department received a package Wednesday that drew a few chuckles — at the expense of the NCAA. The package included the 2011 NCAA Division I football championship banner intended for North Dakota State... The NCAA shipped the championship banner with good intentions but sent it to UND — North Dakota State’s biggest rival.

LakesBison
June 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM
it just proves that they ARENT a rival, else this wouldnt of happened.

Silenoz
June 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Can't argue with that logic xlolx

Derp a derp

Silenoz
June 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM
^

dmksioux
June 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM

You better contact "Deadspin", or at least comment on their article Lakes. According to their headline, UND is the rival school xrotatehx:p

http://deadspin.com/5918130/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

What's the difference between North Dakota and North Dakota State? **** if the NCAA knows

:D

MarkCCU
June 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Nope. We usually have close games.

Ha. Good one.

heath
June 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
LU-LC beating them never gets old, as long as they have the historical lead. But there is so much more that the game. The tailgate is a mutual hate/respect party. The discount to LU's season tickets is the ability to get an LU-LC tickets. You want into the game, buy season tickets or scalp.

Why would you do either?Just watched some of the replay on FCSA and there were plenty of seats available from the start.If THAT game is such a rivalry the stands would have been full prior to kickoff.xconfusedx Wake up Lehigh Valley

EKU-n-GSU
June 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Georgia Southern is kind of weird since we don't have an in state opponent. Older fans will say Furman is our biggest rival, but more recently App State and even Wofford have provided more close and important games.

Talking with my son (rising sophomore OT) and the OL/OC, Furman is our main rival. Guess this goes back to the '85 and '88 1-AA championship games. I don't know if I've attended a sporting event where the home crowd - students, alum, and locals - were more 'vocal' in their contempt for their opponent. I guess this year's trip to Traveler's Rest is going to be interesting...

813Jag
June 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
A significant measure of how intense your rivalry is, is this Question: Do you hate losing to those scumbags more than the joy of beating them?
i don't even like my relatives that went to our rival up north. xreadx that makes losing feel worse than getting kicked in the junk.

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM
i don't even like my relatives that went to our rival up north. xreadx that makes losing feel worse than getting kicked in the junk.

Agreed, especially when it's at home. Thankfully it's only happened twice in my lifetime.