PDA

View Full Version : Please Support UMES Football

superman7515
June 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM
The University of Maryland - Eastern Shore is a HBCU located in Princess Anne, Maryland (not too far from Ocean City and the resort beaches). They previously had a football team with probably their most well known football alum being Art Shell. The administration, in conjunction with the alumni association, are circulating a survey to bring back Hawks football. They have already announced a club team which will begin this season in the same conference as Coppin State, George Mason, Longwood, and Virginia Commonwealth. If you have a second, please fill out the linked survey (good until 6/15/2012) and tell the admin they should bring back Hawk football.

Hawk Football Interest Survey (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHc1UVhHQUdsemE0ZmhCMjJFdndKcVE6M Q)

Dane96
June 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM
The school is horrific in other sports; they should concentrate on those before bringing back football. PLUS...UMES is a bitch to get to.

superman7515
June 8th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Guess that depends on where you're coming from, it's right on a major highway and not far from the airport in Salisbury. They were only allowed back in the MEAC under the condition they bring back football within 2 years, but that was the early 80's, so they should have been thrown out and joined the MAAC or something years ago.

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM
So...did like half the slaves escaping north just stop in Baltimore/DC/Mid-atlantic for some reason?

Coppin, Morgan, East Shore, Bowie, Hampton, Norforlk, Howard, Del St, VA St, VA Union ......

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Mpls, that may be among the more uninformed posts you've made. Maryland was a southern state in the antebellum period.

To the point of colleges, Maryland did not have a flagship school of any kind until 1921 (What is today's Univ. of Maryland was an amalgam of schools), and schools like Coppin, Morgan, etc. were absorbed into the state system much later. (Morgan was a private unviersity at one time.) UMES (then Maryland State) was acquired, in part, to avoid having to admit African Americans at College Park.

The role of HBCUs in Maryland is still an ongoing legal issue.

http://washingtoninformer.com/index.php/financial-literacy/item/5811-maryland-hbcu-desegregation-trial-nearing-an-end

DSUrocks07
June 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
So...did like half the slaves escaping north just stop in Baltimore/DC/Mid-atlantic for some reason?

Coppin, Morgan, East Shore, Bowie, Hampton, Norforlk, Howard, Del St, VA St, VA Union ......

xconfusedx I don't know where to even go with this...

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM
xconfusedx I don't know where to even go with this...

Umm...history?

Jeez - can't even bring up slavery without upsetting AGS's knee-jerk HBCU posters. Carry on. x coffeex

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mpls, that may be among the more uninformed posts you've made. Maryland was a southern state in the antebellum period.

To the point of colleges, Maryland did not have a flagship school of any kind until 1921 (What is today's Univ. of Maryland was an amalgam of schools), and schools like Coppin, Morgan, etc. were absorbed into the state system much later. (Morgan was a private unviersity at one time.)

Huh? My question has nothing to do at all with public/private.

I'm wondering why there are such an incredible abundance of black universities in the Baltimore/DC/Mid-atlantic area. I know there was a separate Morrill act in 1890 to give equivalent funds for the founding of black schools, but I thought that was just one or two per state.

DSUrocks07
June 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Umm...history?

Jeez - can't even bring up slavery without upsetting AGS's knee-jerk HBCU posters. Carry on. x coffeex

Your post was highly confusing. The Mid-Atlantic region is one of the highest populated areas in the Old South. Atlanta has an abundance of HBCUs as well.

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Huh? My question has nothing to do at all with public/private.
I'm wondering why there are such an incredible abundance of black universities in the Baltimore/DC/Mid-atlantic area.

See the added link above. There is an argument that the state of Maryland maintained multiple and underfunded HBCU's schools as a dodge to defer the issue of desegregation at their flagship campus.

DC only has one HBCU, the University of DC, which was a merger of three smaller vocational colleges in the 1970's.

PAllen
June 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
See the added link above. There is an argument that the state of Maryland maintained multiple and underfunded HBCU's schools as a dodge to defer the issue of desegregation at their flagship campus.

DC only has one HBCU, the University of DC, which was a merger of three smaller vocational colleges in the 1970's.

Uh, sorry, but Howard is as HBCU as you can get.

DFW HOYA
June 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Uh, sorry, but Howard is as HBCU as you can get.

Well, of course--I was talking about publicly funded HBCU's. (If you want to get into Howard's federal funding issue, that's another topic.)

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Great link and extremely interesting info. Thanks!

Yeah what I mainly didn't understand was why Maryland had so many black universities to begin with. Clear now. Also didn't realize there are U of Baltimore, U of Maryland at Batimore and U of Maryland, Baltimore County all in the public uni state system.

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Honestly though, if you're a white high school graduate from an upper middle class home in Maryland....your parents are really going to let you attend Coppin or Morgan - in the city of Baltimore - because they had an MBA or engineering program first?

That's pretty obtuse.

DSUrocks07
June 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Honestly though, if you're a white high school graduate from an upper middle class home in Maryland....your parents are really going to let you attend Coppin or Morgan - in the city of Baltimore - because they had an MBA or engineering program first?

That's pretty obtuse.

If you are a high school graduate, and you allow your PARENTS to decide where you go to college...then you shouldn't go to college.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2012, 10:10 AM
These posts by MplsBison are like cries for attention - and help.

TheBisonator
June 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
If I was a prospective college student born and raised in MD and a local HBCU had the best program available for my study in my region, I'd go to the HBCU.

Hell, I almost went to Arkansas-Pine Bluff cause they offered me a partial scholarship.

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
If I was a prospective college student born and raised in MD and a local HBCU had the best program available for my study in my region, I'd go to the HBCU.

Hell, I almost went to Arkansas-Pine Bluff cause they offered me a partial scholarship.

That's fine on principle, but what are the odds that a HBCU in a state with UM College Park and Johns Hopkins is going to have the best program? I'd say "none to mid-none".

DSUrocks07
June 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
That's fine on principle, but what are the odds that a HBCU in a state with UM College Park and Johns Hopkins is going to have the best program? I'd say "none to mid-none".

Why wouldn't it? Only so much money to go around to invests in developing courses and programs. Even at the mainstays of UM and John Hopkins. So you are saying that you would go to a watered down Business Administration course at a "flagship school" over one at an HBCU that specializes in your career field? So you can say, "Oh I graduated from University of Maryland"?

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Why wouldn't it? Only so much money to go around to invests in developing courses and programs. Even at the mainstays of UM and John Hopkins. So you are saying that you would go to a watered down Business Administration course at a "flagship school" over one at an HBCU that specializes in your career field? So you can say, "Oh I graduated from University of Maryland"?

Well....yeah.

Granted, I don't know how highly ranked Morgan's programs are - but I'm just guessing that any program JH has is going to automatically be better than Morgan's. Maybe not UM.

WileECoyote06
June 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM
The school is horrific in other sports; they should concentrate on those before bringing back football. PLUS...UMES is a bitch to get to.
Just to be accurate. UMES won back-to-back national titles in women's bowling in 2011 and 2012. A national title for a non-BCS school is well worth mentioning.

MplsBison
June 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Just to be accurate. UMES won back-to-back national titles in women's bowling in 2011 and 2012. A national title for a non-BCS school is well worth mentioning.

Alaska-Fairbanks has been national champs in rifle. I'd say they're about equal accomplishments.

dgtw
June 8th, 2012, 09:53 PM
The NCAA website has a video of the UMES bowling team. Bunch of white chicks.

http://www.ncaa.com/video/archive/bowling

Dane96
June 9th, 2012, 12:52 AM

I hope you are joking.

PAllen
June 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Holy Crap! I'm about to agree with Mpls on something. The odds that any of the HBCUs in MD have the best program are zero. If there is a scholarship offer, that is one thing, but he is absolutely right on the white suburbanites preferring one of the many alternatives in the Baltimore area.

On a side, DFW, I wasn't picking on you about Howard, just sort of helping Mpls' make his point (Holy Crap Again!). While a definite population center, there are a lot of HBCUs in the Baltimore/DC area. Morgan, Coppin, Bowie, Howard, and UDC, all less than 50 miles apart. Add in the Delmarva (without adding much more population) and you get Delaware St. and UMES too. Good history though on why MD has so many state schools.

McNeese2012
June 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM

That is pretty well the only area they had to go out of the south to get an education at that time. Don't mind the HBCU posters. They don't like the slave issue being mentioned unless it is them bringing it up then it is perfectly OK and nobody especially their own says anything about so blow them off.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 9th, 2012, 04:12 PM
That is pretty well the only area they had to go out of the south to get an education at that time. Don't mind the HBCU posters. They don't like the slave issue being mentioned unless it is them bringing it up then it is perfectly OK and nobody especially their own says anything about so blow them off.

What are you talking about? The only HBCU poster that answered him treated him respectfully and answered his query. Nothing wrong with the question and the answer(s) have been good as well because I hadn't even thought about why there were so many geographical close like they are in those areas.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM
As small as their enrollment is and the travel they'd incur within the MEAC, that'll be a sizable challenge.

superman7515
June 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Just had three individuals and the men's 400 relay named NCAA All-Americans this weekend as well.

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Just had three individuals and the men's 400 relay named NCAA All-Americans this weekend as well.

Didn't look up the individuals, but the 4x100m team from MD-ES was one of only 4 teams out of 24 in the preliminary rounds not to break 40.10sec, along with NC A&T and Savannah St.

They obviously didn't make the final.

You sure you read correctly that the 4x100m team got AA honors??? Maybe they just mean that they participated at the NCAA meet.

WileECoyote06
June 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I hope you are joking.

Nope, not at all. Bowling is a sport too; and they are national champions.

superman7515
June 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Didn't look up the individuals, but the 4x100m team from MD-ES was one of only 4 teams out of 24 in the preliminary rounds not to break 40.10sec, along with NC A&T and Savannah St.

The individuals were from the female team but the release said it was the mens relay team that got it.

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM
The individuals were from the female team but the release said it was the mens relay team that got it.

There's no way. They placed last in their heat in the prelims. Must be a mistake.

GeauxPokes09
June 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Watching women bowl is about as exciting as watching them play softball.Just can't do it.

WileECoyote06
June 12th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Watching women bowl is about as exciting as watching them play softball.Just can't do it.

There are quite a few sports that are unwatchable at the college level: rifle, fencing, hockey, golf, and water polo, etc come to mind. But I do respect the athletes who participate. The original comment was that their other sports program is horrendous. Kind of hard to make that claim when they have back-to-back national championships; and three in the past five years in a sport.

caribbeanhen
June 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
If you are a high school graduate, and you allow your PARENTS to decide where you go to college...then you shouldn't go to college.

WTF? As a father who's supporting 3 college kids, they only get 49 pct of the vote, if the kid wants to pay for it himself than he goes where ever he would like..

andy7171
June 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Maryland was a Union state because Lincoln jailed the majority of the State Legislature. Also, slaves were allowed in Maryland.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Maryland was a Union state because Lincoln jailed the majority of the State Legislature. Also, slaves were allowed in Maryland.

So why the heck did so many of them land there? Wouldn't seem like the safest place for a just escaped slave from Georgia to call it good in Maryland...

andy7171
June 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
So why the heck did so many of them land there? Wouldn't seem like the safest place for a just escaped slave from Georgia to call it good in Maryland...

Maryland is roughly 30% african american. Is 4 HBCU's really too much? Considering it wasn't all that easy to get into another school prior to the 1960's?
Baltimore City/County alone
HBCU - Morgan, Coppin
nonHBCU - Towson, UMBC, Loyola, Stephenson, Goucher, Hopkins

And I think they refered to themselves as freed not escaped.

DSUrocks07
August 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
WTF? As a father who's supporting 3 college kids, they only get 49 pct of the vote, if the kid wants to pay for it himself than he goes where ever he would like..

*thread resurrection powers activate*

So if your kid wanted to go to USF, you would tell them that they would have to go to UCF or they'll have to pay for it themselves (I say this assuming that tuition costs for in-state students in Florida at either school are comparable).

Obviously if you wanted to go to an expensive private college and the money wouldn't allow it that's one thing. But to write off an entire group of schools when the cost difference is negligible is ridiculous.

344Johnson
August 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM

My Dad told me if I wanted help paying for school that I could go to NDSU, or come up with some logical argument as to why I wanted to go elsewhere. Also, UND was not allowed. I should try to get into Law School, threaten to go to UND, and watch him pay me to go to Minnesota.