20. Georgia Southern
21. Eastern Illinois
22. Grambling State
23. Massachusetts
24. South Carolina State
25. William & Mary

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Nice kudos from the oldest college football guide - hope we can live up to it.

GO RED RAIDERS!!!!!

DuckDuckGriz
June 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
So I'm guessing it's on shelves now?

OL FU
June 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
1. New Hamsphire
2. Appalachian State
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Northern Iowa
6. Cal Poly
7. Illinois State
8. Youngstown State
9. Furman
10. Hampton
11. North Dakota State
12. Delaware
13. Nicholls State
14. Coastal Carolina
15. UC Davis
16. Texas State
17. Eastern Kentucky
18. McNeese State
19. Colgate
20. Georgia Southern
21. Eastern Illinois
22. Grambling State
23. Massachusetts
24. South Carolina State
25. William & Mary

Also, looks like a reasonable top 25, One can always argue the details but overall they did a good job.

OL FU
June 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Nice kudos from the oldest college football guide - hope we can live up to it.

GO RED RAIDERS!!!!!

19. Colgate
23. Massachusetts

Nice to be favored the first game

colgate13
June 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
19. Colgate
23. Massachusetts

Nice to be favored the first game

I'm betting we won't be the favorite! :)

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm betting we won't be the favorite! :)

I'm betting you won't either. Where is that game being played, Amherst?

colgate13
June 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm betting you won't either. Where is that game being played, Amherst?

Yes, and it's our opening game, of which Biddle is a horrific 2-8. That means that 8 of Biddle's 35 losses came in the opening game - almost 25%!

I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath! :): smh :

GaSouthern
June 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I can't find it in stores, anyone know where to get a copy???

June 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Also, looks like a reasonable top 25, One can always argue the details but overall they did a good job.The person who did the ranking is an AGS member.:nod:

lucchesicourt
June 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
For a new conference, the GWFC, with only 2 playoff elgible teams (the rest in transitional status) we have 3 top 15 teams, and 2 are not playoff elgible. NOT BAD GWFC!!!

DB_Atlantic10
June 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
For a new conference, the GWFC, with only 2 playoff elgible teams (the rest in transitional status) we have 3 top 15 teams, and 2 are not playoff elgible. NOT BAD GWFC!!!

:boring:

ErkPeterson
June 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Wow, we are ranked #20. Good I say. We have so many question marks about this upcoming season the lower the better IMHO. I have no qualms with the rankings. Then again its 1-AA and they don't mean squat, only good for reference.

AndrewFU21
June 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

According to the website, it comes out in print on the 27th.

June 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Note... S&S had four teams neither AGS nor Lindy's had ranked:
Colgate
Grambling
South Carolina St
William & Mary

and didn't rank eight teams that either AGS or Lindy's ranked:
Southern Illinois
Richmond
Hofstra
Lafayette
Northwestern St
Eastern Washington
Portland St
Montana State

they had:
5 A-10
3 GFC
3 GWFC
3 SLC
3 Socon
2 MEAC
2 OVC
1 BSC
1 Big South
1 PL
1 SWAC

GOKATS
June 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Other than the griz, not much respect for the BSC in this ranking. I think I'll save my money on their mag this year.

Kill'em
June 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
They will find we are better than #20.

carney2
June 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Note... S&S had four teams neither AGS nor Lindy's had ranked

and didn't rank eight teams that either AGS or Lindy's ranked

All in all a good job though. None of that [Huh?!!] crap like Lindy's.

Catmendue2
June 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I guess he must be one of the smartest AGS members too. Lawd Ham Mercy! its getting better over here.:hurray: :hurray:

dbackjon
June 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Other than the griz, not much respect for the BSC in this ranking. I think I'll save my money on their mag this year.

Yeah - two MEAC and two OVC, but one Big Sky??

June 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah - two MEAC and two OVC, but one Big Sky??e*** coast bias?

slostang
June 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
e*** coast bias?
I don't know, the GWFC has three of five teams ranked in the top 15.:hurray:

GOKATS
June 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
e*** coast bias?

I didn't say that. :nod:

Grizo406
June 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I know almost zero about polls, and "almost" left town a long, long time ago. Not trying to add proof to my last sentence, but I just can't figure out why Montana State was left off the list. I think they deserve to be there.

June 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
I know almost zero about polls, and "almost" left town a long, long time ago. Not trying to add proof to my last sentence, but I just can't figure out why Montana State was left off the list. I think they deserve to be there.Only one poll has been released. I think there are two others that will be coming in August.

Eaglegus2
June 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
I really like Georgia Southern being ranked #20. Because of all the changes in the offensive scheme, the Eagles will have a lot of question marks concerning defense also.

I do expect the Eagles to provide a competitive game with Furman & App State.:nod:

I also think that Furman is under-rated in the poll.

The Big Sky should have another team ranked in the top 25. I will leave it for its members and fans to debate who the team should be.:smiley_wi

June 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
... I also think that Furman is under-rated in the poll...It's not a poll, it is one person's ranking.xcoffeex

GaSouthern
June 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
S&S's only uses one person to determine the top 25?

ekufbfan
June 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah - two MEAC and two OVC, but one Big Sky??

Just yesterday you were giving me grief about wanting out of the OVC and NOW you are questioning rankings for OVC teams? I guess it proves my point.........

EKU05
June 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Perhaps the Big Sky deserved more, but EKU and EIU are both for real.

June 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
S&S's only uses one person to determine the top 25?See post #10 in this thread.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Nice to see three SLC schools...namely Nicholls at the top of that list. It'd be nice if Nicholls continued playing some solid football and made a name for themselves. Could we say fourth SLC school to be in the I-AA semifinals in the last five, six years?

blukeys
June 22nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
The person who did the ranking is an AGS member.:nod:

Could that be a writer from south of the Mason Dixon Line?????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Eaglegus2
June 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
It's not a poll, it is one person's ranking.xcoffeex

Sorry Ralph...........I had surgery on Monday. I have been on a steady diet of pain pills. My reading comprehension isn't very good.

Once, I run out of pain medication it will improve.xlolx :nod:

June 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Sorry Ralph...........I had surgery on Monday. I have been on a steady diet of pain pills. My reading comprehension isn't very good. Once, I run out of pain medication it will improve.xlolx :nod:You take it easy and I hope recovery is soon. Too bad your meds are running out... :D

blukeys
June 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry Ralph...........I had surgery on Monday. I have been on a steady diet of pain pills. My reading comprehension isn't very good.

Once, I run out of pain medication it will improve.xlolx :nod:

Those after surgery pain meds are the GREATEST!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

I would have stayed on them forever but my doctor followed the rules and took me off. I would have given up Jack Daniels for those meds. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

shakdaddy3
June 22nd, 2006, 07:47 PM

then who did it? street or smith... afterall, it's one person's right? :smiley_wi

June 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
then who did it? street or smith... afterall, it's one person's right? :smiley_wistrith:p

I-AA Fan
June 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM

They released this poll on June 16 ...the yearbook is due June 27, next week. I would imagine many have it on the shelves already.

Pard4Life
June 23rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Yes, and it's our opening game, of which Biddle is a horrific 2-8. That means that 8 of Biddle's 35 losses came in the opening game - almost 25%!

I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath! :): smh :

So are you already making an excuse of why you lost the game in case you do?

I like these rankings.. much better than Lindy's. Colgate should be ranked and Lafayette should be on the border of the top 25.. and it seems like SS got that right... although I am not sure about Hampton as high as 10.

blueballs
June 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
You take it easy and I hope recovery is soon. Too bad your meds are running out... :D

He'll switch to liquor when the pills run out.

JD, give me a call when you feel up to it.

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM

Interesting - is he a member of the AGS Poll as well? Just curious.

bluehenbillk
June 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Picked up my S&S copy last night in the Pittsburgh Airport, had Paul Puz from Penn State on the cover. As usual, very well done, I was surprised O'Connor had Towson rated last in the A-10 South, will make some good reading.

GeauxColonels
June 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Nice to see three SLC schools...namely Nicholls at the top of that list. It'd be nice if Nicholls continued playing some solid football and made a name for themselves. Could we say fourth SLC school to be in the I-AA semifinals in the last five, six years?
No, but we CAN say National Champions!! :thumbsup:

Nah, being realistic, I'll be satisfied making it back to the playoffs this year and maybe winning a playoff game. It will be tough getting back to the post season with this conference though.

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Picked up my S&S copy last night in the Pittsburgh Airport, had Paul Puz from Penn State on the cover. As usual, very well done, I was surprised O'Connor had Towson rated last in the A-10 South, will make some good reading.

If Towson could arrange a schedule of Lock havens and Elons, they'd do just fine every year.

Grizo406
June 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
I've got five t-shirts from the teams listed on Street & Smith, and I wear them proudly!

My only complaint with their rankings is that Montana State wasn't included, and I can't help but think that if I'd bought a Bobcat shirt, they would have made the list.

I feel like a such a cheap, dirty bastard for not shelling out $16.00 to show some love, and support for another team from Montana.:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xlolx :bawling: :D

blukeys
June 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
So are you already making an excuse of why you lost the game in case you do?

I like these rankings.. much better than Lindy's. Colgate should be ranked and Lafayette should be on the border of the top 25.. and it seems like SS got that right... although I am not sure about Hampton as high as 10.

Hampton should definitely not be as high as 10 IMHO.

June 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Remember that S&S had LaSalle and Drake in the top 25 last year.

Tribe4SF
June 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Remember that S&S had LaSalle and Drake in the top 25 last year.

:nod: Our buddy from the RTD produced a real head-scratcher last year. No complaints from me this year, since he includes the Tribe as a marginal addition.:hurray:

Tribe4SF
June 24th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Hampton should definitely not be as high as 10 IMHO.

I'm with you on that. The Pirates are a fine team, but last year showed again that they need to earn their way into the top 10. This years squad might do it if their line play improves enough to hang in the trenches for four quarters against a playoff team. Some new found offensive balance should help.

mikebigg
June 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm with you on that. The Pirates are a fine team, but last year showed again that they need to earn their way into the top 10. This years squad might do it if their line play improves enough to hang in the trenches for four quarters against a playoff team. Some new found offensive balance should help.

We will find out Labor Day Weekend... Will a Grambling win put us in the top ten, OR will it just drop Hampton down?

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM
We will find out Labor Day Weekend... Will a Grambling win put us in the top ten, OR will it just drop Hampton down?

Since I don't have Hampton in the top 10, a Grambling win won't put them in mine, or the AGS top 10. I have HU at #16 (same as the poll), and Grambling #24 (poll has them #30). If Grambling wins they'll move up.

Last year I had HU in the top 10 going into the playoffs. I doubt I'll vote them there again without evidence of better line play. Beating Grambling convincingly would be a first step, but I don't see that happening.

Linehawg
June 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I've looked at these for a couple of days now and looked over all the gains and losses. I understand Richmond's drop after their great season but I honestly can't see JMU still that high. A couple of outstanding players to be sure but way too many new faces on both sides of the ball. Are they still riding a two-year old wave?

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I've looked at these for a couple of days now and looked over all the gains and losses. I understand Richmond's drop after their great season but I honestly can't see JMU still that high. A couple of outstanding players to be sure but way too many new faces on both sides of the ball. Are they still riding a two-year old wave?

I agree on JMU. They lost too many faces on the lines to be a top 5 team.

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I don't have JMU top 5, but they've gotten transfer help along both fronts. UNH and UMass both look better to me at this point, but JMU looks best in the A-10 South.

MACHIAVELLI
June 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM

xlolx The loss by Hampy will kill their poll hopes. Hampton will drop 6 THE ICON will rise two. The pollsters will say. "Hampton could even beat them, so we won't rank them high. Even if they happen to win the MEAC they will be on the road and have a low seed if they make the playoffs. On the otherhand THE ICON will crawl up the polls. With everyother win we will stay pat, constantly being leap frogged and as in most cases in the past will fall a spot or two during an open weekend. We already understand this from the start.

mikebigg
June 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM
xlolx The loss by Hampy will kill their poll hopes. Hampton will drop 6 THE ICON will rise two. The pollsters will say. "Hampton could even beat them, so we won't rank them high. Even if they happen to win the MEAC they will be on the road and have a low seed if they make the playoffs. On the otherhand THE ICON will crawl up the polls. With everyother win we will stay pat, constantly being leap frogged and as in most cases in the past will fall a spot or two during an open weekend. We already understand this from the start.

I know...but we'll just keep on playing and winning games. I think we will have some close ones this year, but an undefeated season is quite possible. Yes, that includes U of H.

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I know...but we'll just keep on playing and winning games. I think we will have some close ones this year, but an undefeated season is quite possible. Yes, that includes U of H.

If you beat Houston, you'll get plenty of respect. The "H factor" (Hampton and Houston) will likely keep you from being undefeated.

Catmendue2
June 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Lawd you know the pollsters don't you. Last three years are prime examples. Mcneese took a major hit after barely beating Grambling in 02.

parr90
June 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Top ten in D11 maybe. When are you guys gonna learn that if you dont play in the real AA then you cant be legit.

cosmo here
June 25th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Top ten in D11 maybe. When are you guys gonna learn that if you dont play in the real AA then you cant be legit.

District 11 ? In PA they play some pretty good football, but Grambling would crush them. Same thing in Louisiana, I'm sure . . :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: : smh :

blukeys
June 25th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I never ranked Hampton very high as I saw them in '04 and was not impressed with the exception of Curtis Mathes.

This is the first game of the season and both teams will no doubt go thru many changes as the season progresses. The problem for Hampton is their non con schedule is so weak that a loss to Grambling will be difficult to make up. With the exception of SCSU no MEAC opponent has the cred to help them move up. If a win helps Grambling in the polls (For me it will depend on how the game develops and looks) I really don't understand the big deal. The I-AA championship is decided on the field and Grambling has chosen not to participate. So if Grambling finishes 5th in some I-AA poll, who cares????????

Once again Grambling will not have played with the big boys.

The only positive for Grambling is if they pound Hampton and then Hampton wins the I-AA championship.

Keep Dreaming. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

MACHIAVELLI
June 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM
The only positive for Grambling is if they pound Hampton and then Hampton wins the I-AA championship.

Still wouldn't matter.

mikebigg
June 25th, 2006, 10:06 PM

I feel the same about whatever program you are trying to rep. What the **** is real AA? Some clown posted crap about Grambling "avoiding" 1AA teams and the rest of you sheep follow suit with the same garbage... So weak and pathetic.

During Coach Rob's tenure, we scheduled and played teams from across the country... Coach Spears is trying to follow that process but is restricted due to the 9 game mandate. During Doug Williams tenure, he didn't like to play other state schools. It had nothing to do with any fear factor, but his own personal feelings on the matter.

I'm not a proponent of the playoffs...my reason has nothing to do with the level of competition. I just don't think the NCAA plays fair with the seeding nor with the payouts. As long as that's the case...I wouldn't want to see Grambling participate. But we'd gladly do a home and home whenever, wherever. Yall got balls enuff to sign on the line? We don't duck anyone!!!!

MACHIAVELLI
June 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I feel the same about whatever program you are trying to rep. What the **** is real AA? Some clown posted crap about Grambling "avoiding" 1AA teams and the rest of you sheep follow suit with the same garbage... So weak and pathetic.

During Coach Rob's tenure, we scheduled and played teams from across the country... Coach Spears is trying to follow that process but is restricted due to the 9 game mandate. During Doug Williams tenure, he didn't like to play other state schools. It had nothing to do with any fear factor, but his own personal feelings on the matter.

I'm not a proponent of the playoffs...my reason has nothing to do with the level of competition. I just don't think the NCAA plays fair with the seeding nor with the payouts. As long as that's the case...I wouldn't want to see Grambling participate. But we'd gladly do a home and home whenever, wherever. Yall got balls enuff to sign on the line? We don't duck anyone!!!!

I agree with everything you said except that home and home thing. If we got 12 games, the SWAC dropped the 9 game mandate to 7 or we went AA Indy. Then I wouldn't mind a home and home with anyone. But not before what I mentioned happens.

McNeeserocket
June 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Lawd you know the pollsters don't you. Last three years are prime examples. Mcneese took a major hit after barely beating Grambling in 02.

Actually, McNeese beat Grambling by a score of 52-20 in 2002. In 2003 McNeese and Grambling played a close one and McNeese only won by a score of 31-20.

Catmendue2
June 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Actually, McNeese beat Grambling by a score of 52-20 in 2002. In 2003 McNeese and Grambling played a close one and McNeese only won by a score of 31-20.

My bad ROCKET. But the point still stands and Mcneese did take a hit even though they won.

McNeese75
June 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
My bad ROCKET. But the point still stands and Mcneese did take a hit even though they won.

What hit are you talking about??? If you are saying it was a very physical football game, then yes, I agree it was a good hard hitting game by both teams. If you are inferring that is somehow affected the Cowboys rankings, etc, then no, that did not happen.

Catmendue2
June 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
What hit are you talking about??? If you are saying it was a very physical football game, then yes, I agree it was a good hard hitting game by both teams. If you are inferring that is somehow affected the Cowboys rankings, etc, then no, that did not happen.

Mcneese GPI rating fell more after winning against Grambling than it did in a lost to KSU by more than 30 points. That's a 10th rank KSU team that lost to Marshall the next week.

mlbowl
June 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Mcneese GPI rating fell more after winning against Grambling than it did in a lost to KSU by more than 30 points.

and what does that have to do with the AGS "pollsters"???

Catmendue2
June 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM
and what does that have to do with the AGS "pollsters"???

Well, for three years the pollsters have said they used da GPI to rank I-AA teams and conferences for the playoffs. Isn't this how the A-10 gets 8-3 and 7-4teams in the playoffs, ahead of 9-2 teams like SCSU.

McNeese75
June 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Mcneese GPI rating fell more after winning against Grambling than it did in a lost to KSU by more than 30 points. That's a 10th rank KSU team that lost to Marshall the next week.

I guess that hit was a strength of schedule slam due to our opponent :D

(I'm kidding Cat :nod: )