PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Football League versus the Ivy League Football Challenge 2012

DetroitFlyer
June 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Date: September 15, 2012

Games:

San Diego at Harvard; 12:30 PM

Marist at Columbia; 12:30 PM

Butler at Dartmouth; 7:00 PM

Should be three really good games. Of course I will be pulling for the PFL to go 3-0!

Sycamore51
June 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'll predict the Ivy league goes 3-0 here

kdinva
June 5th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'll predict the Ivy league goes 3-0 here

+1

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
One opposes athletic aid on an ideology basis...the other, simply can't afford it.

Should be great match-ups!

Ivytalk
June 5th, 2012, 09:46 AM
+1

+2

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Butler-Dartmouth might be a game.

RichH2
June 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM
San Diego s/b a game until mid 2nd half. Others wont be competitive. IL 3-0

Dane96
June 5th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Butler will be a game. Dartmouth is AWFUL! I watched couple of practices and games last year.

UAalum72
June 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
It's a bold man who relies on Columbia for the third win.

crusader11
June 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'd rather see a formal Patriot League - Ivy League challenge. It is pretty much already in place, but make a set weekend out of it:

Holy Cross - Harvard
Colgate - Cornell
Lehigh - Princeton
Lafayette - Penn
Fordham - Columbia

These five are all natural games. Then, it gets tricky with the following teams: Bucknell, Georgetown, Yale, Dartmouth, and Brown.

Also, the PL has 7 teams while the Ivy has 8.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Butler will be a game. Dartmouth is AWFUL! I watched couple of practices and games last year.

Side note, I didn't watch the whole match but I'm pretty sure Dartmouth just won the national championship at the highest level in Rugby 7's, over Arizona as well as the 3rd place game that Cal won over some friggin' university called "Life" (really?).

Quite a few of those boys look like they'd make fine fullbacks and linebackers. Seriously.

Have the coaches tried to recruit any of these guys to play on the team?!?!

bojeta
June 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Ya... I'm gonna buck the trend and predict 2-1 PFL

bonarae
June 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
3-0 Ivy.

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Side note, I didn't watch the whole match but I'm pretty sure Dartmouth just won the national championship at the highest level in Rugby 7's, over Arizona as well as the 3rd place game that Cal won over some friggin' university called "Life" (really?).

Quite a few of those boys look like they'd make fine fullbacks and linebackers. Seriously.

Have the coaches tried to recruit any of these guys to play on the team?!?!

Life from Georgia? It's a chiropractic school. The school I go to, Palmer, just placed third in Div I Men's.

ngineer
June 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Butler/Dartmouth will be competitive. Marist can hang for a half. Harvard handles Torreos.

tourguide
June 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I predict none of these games will matter when deciding the teams in the playoffs

Ivytalk
June 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I predict none of these games will matter when deciding the teams in the playoffs

Really going out on a limb there, aintcha?:p

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Life from Georgia? It's a chiropractic school. The school I go to, Palmer, just placed third in Div I Men's.

Heck if I know. I just watched a little bit of the match where they played Cal in the 3rd place game and their uniforms were white with a black "LIFE" across the chest.

If it really is a chiropractic school - then that's just fantastic. Guys who are learning to adjust spines for a living and then smashing theirs for fun. I guess they can adjust each other after the game.

It was on one of the major network mid-day sports slots last weekend.

danefan
June 6th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Heck if I know. I just watched a little bit of the match where they played Cal in the 3rd place game and their uniforms were white with a black "LIFE" across the chest.

If it really is a chiropractic school - then that's just fantastic. Guys who are learning to adjust spines for a living and then smashing theirs for fun. I guess they can adjust each other after the game.

It was on one of the major network mid-day sports slots last weekend.

Yes it was Life from Georgia. I had to look it up as it was such an odd man out of that rest of the schools.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM
How the heck does some chiro school have a top ranked club athletic team in anything???

I suppose you're going to tell me that UC-San Francisco has the top ranked men's short track speed skating club?

Model Citizen
June 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
What's a Harvard?

RichH2
June 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
What's a Harvard?

Among many other things a much much better football team than any in the Pioneer

superman7515
June 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM

BYU won the rugby national championship in May, 49-42 over Arkansas State. Rugby 7's isn't considered the national champion, although yes Dartmouth did win the recently televised USA Seven's Collegiate Rugby Championship.

blackbeard
June 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Harvard
Marist
Dartmouth

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
BYU won the rugby national championship in May, 49-42 over Arkansas State. Rugby 7's isn't considered the national champion, although yes Dartmouth did win the recently televised USA Seven's Collegiate Rugby Championship.

Seven's is rugby.

Ask the Olympics.

Model Citizen
June 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Among many other things a much much better football team than any in the Pioneer

Is not.

Model Citizen
June 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Why only three games? There should be eight.

Could they be played on MSP guy's birthday? He's a big fan--5/25 posts here so far.

BucBisonAtLarge
June 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I just don't see the great flush of optimism regarding Columbia football-- 2-1, with Butler scaring the Big Green as well.

RichH2
June 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Is not.

Boy are you in for a rude awakening. Harvard a definite top 20 team and probably a borderline top 10.

PantherRob82
June 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
How the heck does some chiro school have a top ranked club athletic team in anything???

I suppose you're going to tell me that UC-San Francisco has the top ranked men's short track speed skating club?

Apparently it's not too hard since Life and Palmer both have great teams. :)

Palmer has been to 3 straight Men's D-I Final Fours.

MplsBison
June 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Apparently it's not too hard since Life and Palmer both have great teams. :)

Palmer has been to 3 straight Men's D-I Final Fours.

Man that's f'ed up. I wonder if they recruit guys to go to chiro school...just so they can play rugby?

"That was a great season..."

"Totally dude, we rocked em' good. So what are we going to do now?"

"Well....I guess we both got this Chiro degree....so...we....make people's backs and necks pop?"

"Sweet"

dgtw
June 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Since rugby isn't an official NCAA sport, although it is an "emerging sport" for women. So pretty much any college can compete for the national championship.

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Boy are you in for a rude awakening. Harvard a definite top 20 team and probably a borderline top 10.

Congratulations in advance for those beauty contest votes.

I hope H can put up a fight against USD, unlike the Ivy co-champions the Toreros played a few years ago.

crusader11
June 7th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Is the PFL a 7 on 7 league?

Model Citizen
June 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Is the PFL a 7 on 7 league?

...said the fan of the team that's 0-2 v. USD.

NEXT

PantherRob82
June 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Since rugby isn't an official NCAA sport, although it is an "emerging sport" for women. So pretty much any college can compete for the national championship.

We compete in D-I Men's. There is also a D-I college, that is what BYU won this year.

PantherRob82
June 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Man that's f'ed up. I wonder if they recruit guys to go to chiro school...just so they can play rugby?

"That was a great season..."

"Totally dude, we rocked em' good. So what are we going to do now?"

"Well....I guess we both got this Chiro degree....so...we....make people's backs and necks pop?"

"Sweet"

Go figure that MplsBison would give an uneducated response. xreadx

MplsBison
June 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Go figure that MplsBison would give an uneducated response. xreadx

Oh wow...come on man I was playing.

I know people in real life that do it for a living.

dgtw
June 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Being a rugby playing chiropractor would be good idea. A solid hit in the right place could guarantee future business.

Go...gate
June 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
We doing weekly picks already?

Ivytalk
June 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Congratulations in advance for those beauty contest votes.

I hope H can put up a fight against USD, unlike the Ivy co-champions the Toreros played a few years ago.

Harvard will beat San Diego by two scores. Nolo contendere.

MplsBison
June 7th, 2012, 09:42 PM

They're called "goals" when the forward advances the ball past the keeper.

Sader87
June 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
The fact that this thread exists is bad for the Ivy League....

DetroitFlyer
June 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
The fact that this thread exists is bad for the Ivy League....

Well, not yet, but once the Ancient Eight goes 0-3 at home against the PFL....:D

Model Citizen
June 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM
This thread has a few hits, but maybe 20 different people in the world read have read it? Aside from that, the comments here by third parties are complete nonsense.

401ks
June 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
...said the fan of the team that's 0-2 v. USD.

NEXT

xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
June 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM

You are being courteous. Me on the other hand...

Harvard 41, San Diego 10

Marist should beat Columbia... and both Butler and Dartmouth are pretty bad, but I'd bet Dartmouth's "quality" of bad-ness is better.