PDA

View Full Version : FCS regional challeges that I would pay to see!

Watch Yosef
June 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM
How would you feel about supporting regional football challenges? The prominent or ranked games could be shown on regional and national television? Here's an example of what I am recommending;

SoCon/CAA Challenge
MEAC/SWAC Challenge (already exsists)
NEC/Big South Challenge
Big Sky/MVFC Challenge
Southland/ Pioneer????

Instead of having one game as the MEAC & SWAC does. Have each conference entire membership square off with an opponent from another league. For example,

Appalachian State v. William & Mary
GA Southern v. New Hampsire
Wofford v. Old Dominion
Elon v. Richmond
Chattanooga v. James Madison
Citadel v. Maine
Furman v. Delaware
Western Carolina v. Rhode Island
Samford v. Towson

A cup would be presented to the winning conference comissioner to place at the league offices and the winning conference keeps the cup annually. The games should be played on Labor Day weekend on Saturday and Sunday. Would this be a great way to kick off the season.

asujch
June 4th, 2012, 02:21 AM
While this would be a really entertaining idea for us fans, conferences would never go for this, esp the socon/caa crowd. It puts many of the playoff teams in jeopardy of a loss early on. It's kind of like if the BIG 12 and SEC were all required to play each other in week one, it would hurt the bowl series.

I personally like the idea though, it reminds me of the ACC BIG 10 challenge during hoops season.

bonarae
June 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM
For the Ivies, this isn't possible right now given our very short schedule of 10 games. Season expansion to 12 games and playoff participation by the Ivy champion should be wishes of higher priority for Ivy football before anything else.

But there were challenges between the Ivies and their state university counterparts before, but they're not in the schedule currently:

Dartmouth - UNH
Brown - Rhode Island
Harvard - UMass (not possible anytime soon because UMass is a transition program to the FBS; last game was in 1988, when it ended in a melee on the streets of Boston)
Penn - Penn State (FBS-FCS; its last time was in the 1980's)
Princeton - Rutgers (FBS-FCS; last game was in 1980)
Yale - UConn (FBS-FCS; last game in 1998, when UConn was still I-AA)

But Cornell/Columbia - Stony Brook/Albany are still possible. These two along with Dartmouth - UNH and Brown - URI are the only possible Ivy-upper FCS in-state non-PL matches ATM.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 4th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I would love that if it were feasible, just don't think that it is, since the matchups would change year to year and teams would gripe about not playing at home.

UAalum72
June 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM
But Cornell/Columbia - Stony Brook/Albany are still possible. These two along with Dartmouth - UNH and Brown - URI are the only possible Ivy-upper FCS in-state non-PL matches ATM.
Yale could play Central Conn.

Sycamore51
June 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Yale could play Central Conn.

Is there a Conn St Univ already. If not why doesn't Central Conn move to that name. I always thought it was a smart move when SMS changed to MSU

bonarae
June 4th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Is there a Conn St Univ already. If not why doesn't Central Conn move to that name. I always thought it was a smart move when SMS changed to MSU

No. According to this (http://www.ctregents.org/contact#colleges), there are four Connecticut State Universities, each preceding with Central, Southern, Western and Eastern. Central is the largest of these.

BisonHype!
June 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Cool concept. And you would get some good FCS games out of it. Games would mean more to other teams in the conference not playing. Just having your conference get bragging rights for that year would be fun.

Tribal
June 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Rhody no longer plays in the CAA (NEC now, I think).

henfan
June 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Furman at Delaware? Would Furman actually show up this time?xsmiley_wix

While it might be a fun idea for hardcore FCS fans, it's not something that's going to make the respective schools money. Most schools like to have control over their schedules from year to year.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Whether the MVFC as a conference would go for this as a whole I don't know but I know NDSU would be against it. For the same reasons that NDSU's AD Gene Taylor doesn't want an annual series with UND. He would only be able to schedule 5 homes games every other year with an 11 game schedule due to the fact that these games would alternate home sites for the most part.

slostang
June 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Big Sky/Southland or the Big Sky/MVFC would be great to see. Problem for Cal Poly is that their schedule is mostly complete for the next 4 or 5 years. I am sure that is the same for a lot of teams.

mmiller_34
June 4th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Bracket Busters for football!!!!!!!!!

HailSzczur
June 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM
While this would be a really entertaining idea for us fans, conferences would never go for this, esp the socon/caa crowd. It puts many of the playoff teams in jeopardy of a loss early on. It's kind of like if the BIG 12 and SEC were all required to play each other in week one, it would hurt the bowl series.

I personally like the idea though, it reminds me of the ACC BIG 10 challenge during hoops season.

Aside from that alot of teams would take a huge financial hit. I'm not sure the actual percentage but a good deal of FCS tend to start there season with money making FBS games. However I do love the idea.

LakesBison
June 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
If other conferences are any good, they can MEET our conference teams in the playoffs.

mocman1990
June 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM
How would you feel about supporting regional football challenges? The prominent or ranked games could be shown on regional and national television? Here's an example of what I am recommending;

SoCon/CAA Challenge
NEC/Big South Challenge
Big Sky/MVFC Challenge
Southland/ Pioneer????

Instead of having one game as the MEAC & SWAC does. Have each conference entire membership square off with an opponent from another league. For example,

Wofford v. Old Dominion
Elon v. Richmond
Citadel v. Maine
Furman v. Delaware
Samford v. Towson

A cup would be presented to the winning conference comissioner to place at the league offices and the winning conference keeps the cup annually. The games should be played on Labor Day weekend on Saturday and Sunday. Would this be a great way to kick off the season.

I would like to see Chattanooga play Richmond, particularly since Huesman used to coach there and Asst Coach Healy was a QB for the Spiders. Would make for a good storyline.

apaladin
June 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Furman at Delaware? Would Furman actually show up this time?xsmiley_wix

While it might be a fun idea for hardcore FCS fans, it's not something that's going to make the respective schools money. Most schools like to have control over their schedules from year to year.

Obviously, that game would have to be at Furman. xnodxxthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I pitched this idea years ago, without any support from those in the PL family that enjoy established H-Y-P rivalries, but...

Week three of the schedule (or week 1 on the Ivy calendar) should be a challenge series based on the finish in the previous season. Assuming eight PL teams (and that's a stretch, but play along), #1 Ivy plays #1 PL, #2 vs. #2, etc.

This might catch a little more momentum as Ivy teams begin to limit scholarship PL teams from future schedules.

MplsBison
June 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Bracket Busters for football!!!!!!!!!

Right, except good luck getting FCS coaches to sign on for that.

Football is such a different animal than bball. Every loss can potentially cost a football coach his career. In bball - meh, so you lose 5 games. As long as you make the NCAA tournament, all is good.

Silenoz
June 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
If other conferences are any good, they can MEET our conference teams in the playoffs.

Okay, that seems to work out pretty well for us

Sader87
June 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
For the Ivies, this isn't possible right now given our very short schedule of 10 games. Season expansion to 12 games and playoff participation by the Ivy champion should be wishes of higher priority for Ivy football before anything else.

But there were challenges between the Ivies and their state university counterparts before, but they're not in the schedule currently:

Dartmouth - UNH
Brown - Rhode Island
Harvard - UMass (not possible anytime soon because UMass is a transition program to the FBS; last game was in 1988, when it ended in a melee on the streets of Boston)
Penn - Penn State (FBS-FCS; its last time was in the 1980's)
Princeton - Rutgers (FBS-FCS; last game was in 1980)
Yale - UConn (FBS-FCS; last game in 1998, when UConn was still I-AA)

Brown and URI still play annually.

Penn and Penn St haven't played since 1958.

bonarae
June 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I pitched this idea years ago, without any support from those in the PL family that enjoy established H-Y-P rivalries, but...

Week three of the schedule (or week 1 on the Ivy calendar) should be a challenge series based on the finish in the previous season. Assuming eight PL teams (and that's a stretch, but play along), #1 Ivy plays #1 PL, #2 vs. #2, etc.

This might catch a little more momentum as Ivy teams begin to limit scholarship PL teams from future schedules.

Great idea, but I'm already tired of Ivy teams playing only PL teams in the Ivies' OOC schedules. Yale-Cal Poly in 2013 is just a baby step into diversifying the OOC schedule, but I'm also afraid that the Ivies' level of competition may be watered down with the lower quality opponents currently found in our present and future OOC schedules.

Brown and URI still play annually.

Penn and Penn St haven't played since 1958.

Sorry. Didn't really check CFBDW. xpeacex

Pitz
June 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Wofford v. Old Dominion
Elon v. Richmond
Citadel v. Maine
Furman v. Delaware
Samford v. Towson

That's a solid block of games, and would certainly provide better evidence for arguments on Selection Sunday. I imagine the MVFC/Big Sky block would look just as enticing. North Dakota St. vs. Montana, Northern Iowa vs. Montana St...etc, etc.

DetroitFlyer
June 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM
There is a bit of a PFL / Ivy League challenge this year. Both leagues should formalize and promote this challenge.

Sader87
June 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM
We have played 3 or 4 Ivies annually for about 80 years...hardly something new.

Ivytalk
June 4th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Think outside the tackle box. Harvard-Maine or Harvard- UNH ( they play in ice hockey now).

bojeta
June 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Big Sky/Southland or the Big Sky/MVFC would be great to see. Problem for Cal Poly is that their schedule is mostly complete for the next 4 or 5 years. I am sure that is the same for a lot of teams.

What a beautiful problem to finally have!!! :)

MplsBison
June 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM
There is a bit of a PFL / Ivy League challenge this year. Both leagues should formalize and promote this challenge.

One is opposed to athletic aid on ideology....the other, simply can't afford it.

Indeed a compelling match-up.

Sader87
June 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
We really haven't NOT played any local regional FCS schools over the years...I'd like to see us play some SoCon or Midwest or West-Coast-region schools once in awhile.

bonarae
June 5th, 2012, 04:52 AM

But PFL's talent level isn't quite as high as the major FCS conferences have...

Think outside the tackle box. Harvard-Maine or Harvard- UNH ( they play in ice hockey now).

Thanks for the heads up IT. I overlooked ice hockey for quite a while...

We really haven't NOT played any local regional FCS schools over the years...I'd like to see us play some SoCon or Midwest or West-Coast-region schools once in awhile.

I agree with you. See IT's comment on extending rivalries in other sports to football (if they field a football team at all...)

State Line Liquors
June 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Furman v. Delaware

I think you mean Delaware v. Furman. We've already tried the cornbread in Greenville once recently...xrolleyesx

Bulldog87
June 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I'd like to see some type of combo MEAC/SoCon/CAA deal. Our Northern schools DMV,Del State could face the CAA schools and our southern schools could face the SoCon schools. Example,SCSU vs Furman,Woord,Elon App State,Ga Southern,Citadel,SSU,FAMU BCUA&T,NCCU vs same schools on a rotaing basis home and home every 2 years. Howard,Hampton,Morgan,DSU,NSU vs the CAA schools same format. BTW,I meant Wofford.

bojeta
June 5th, 2012, 07:38 PM
One good thing about our experience in the Great West Conference was the need to travel wherever and whenever possible to play FCS teams. In the past decade, this has taken us to:

2011 - South Dakota State W 48-14, South Alabama W 41-10
2010 - Tx State L 12-21, McNeese State W 40-14, Old Dominion W 50-37, St. Francis W 41-33
2009 - S. Dakota State W 21-14
2008 - Northwestern State W 52-18, S. Dakota State W 42-28, North Carolina Central W 49-3
2007 - Texas State L 35-38, Iona W 55-7
2006 - Savannah State W 55-0
2004 - Texas State W 38-21
2002 - Northern Iowa L 26-29
2001 - Northern Iowa L 13-31

Overall great experience, but the Big Sky schedule with NO DII teams to play and only 1 - 2 FBS teams a year is FAR BETTER!!!

Sycamore51
June 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see INST play some out east teams. We play nearly all Midwest teams. I'm not sure who the last FCS team we've played outside of the midwest

GeauxLions94
June 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM

SoCon/CAA Challenge
NEC/Big South Challenge
Big Sky/MVFC Challenge
Southland/ Pioneer????

Wofford v. Old Dominion
Elon v. Richmond
Citadel v. Maine
Furman v. Delaware
Samford v. Towson

What? No love for the OVC or Patriot League???

You could have either of the following scenarios:
OVC/Southland and MVFC/Big Sky
OVC/MVFC and Southland/Big Sky

Patriot League could then pair off with Pioneer League ...

Am I missing anyone?

blueballs
June 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see some type of combo MEAC/SoCon/CAA deal. Our Northern schools DMV,Del State could face the CAA schools and our southern schools could face the SoCon schools. Example,SCSU vs Furman,Woord,Elon App State,Ga Southern,Citadel,SSU,FAMU BCUA&T,NCCU vs same schools on a rotaing basis home and home every 2 years. Howard,Hampton,Morgan,DSU,NSU vs the CAA schools same format. BTW,I meant Wofford.

I agree with you here and you have touched on the essence of what would be required to make something like this work.

FCS is still largely a regional phenomenom. Therefore, any "challenges" like this would work better if there was a regional component. A MEAC/SoCon or OVC/SoCon "challenge" could produce some good storylines... such as Hatcher against GSU or SCSU vs. GSU (which should be played annually on a home and home basis). SCSU vs. El Cid would be VERY intriguing as well and I could list many others, such as NC A&T vs. App or Elon.... but IMO the key is keeping the schools close to one another and playing games that should probably be played anyway which would gin up interest and possibly cerate rivalries.

cpalum
June 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
What a beautiful problem to finally have!!! :)

I thought the same thing...

ekufbfan
June 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
What? No love for the OVC or Patriot League???

You could have either of the following scenarios:
OVC/Southland and MVFC/Big Sky
OVC/MVFC and Southland/Big Sky

Patriot League could then pair off with Pioneer League ...

Am I missing anyone?

Addressing WHO I would like to see EKU pick up a series with are some old rivals from 1990's (not really interested in who anyone else in the OVC plays). Furman, Ga So, App State maybe in even Youngstown State. Liberty or VMI also. We do have a home and home with Coastal Carolina starting this year.

darell1976
June 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
One good thing about our experience in the Great West Conference was the need to travel wherever and whenever possible to play FCS teams. In the past decade, this has taken us to:

2011 - South Dakota State W 48-14, South Alabama W 41-10
2010 - Tx State L 12-21, McNeese State W 40-14, Old Dominion W 50-37, St. Francis W 41-33
2009 - S. Dakota State W 21-14
2008 - Northwestern State W 52-18, S. Dakota State W 42-28, North Carolina Central W 49-3
2007 - Texas State L 35-38, Iona W 55-7
2006 - Savannah State W 55-0
2004 - Texas State W 38-21
2002 - Northern Iowa L 26-29
2001 - Northern Iowa L 13-31

Overall great experience, but the Big Sky schedule with NO DII teams to play and only 1 - 2 FBS teams a year is FAR BETTER!!!

I agree...UND got to see a host of new FCS teams that this region never saw before, like Lamar, Stony Brook, Northwestern St, and Drake...while traveling to Northwestern St, Stephen F. Austin, Central Arkansas, Idaho State, Southeastern Louisiana, and Southern Illinois. We also renewed relationships with former foes (and former conference foes) Northern Colorado, South Dakota State and Montana. The GWFC provided scheduling problems with only 4 conference games, but that led us to see a lot of different teams, with different formations to prepare us for the future. I cannot wait until the BSC games start!!!! I would love to see a BSC/MVFC challenge. Just since UND was conference members with 4 of the teams in the MVFC (USD, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI).

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I would like to see NDSU schedule some games with the CAA. I don't know how many would want to come to Fargo but some games with them would be a nice addition to the schedule.

ImAllIn
June 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Bojeta, I remember that Cal Poly game at McNeese. The weather was horrible that night.There was a game stoppage because of it.

bojeta
June 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Bojeta, I remember that Cal Poly game at McNeese. The weather was horrible that night.There was a game stoppage because of it.

Yep. Lightning strikes and all! I wasn't able to be there, but the Cal Poly people that went had nothing but great things to say about the McNeese fans!! Hope we meet again... in the playoffs!!

crossfire07
June 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yep. Lightning strikes and all! I wasn't able to be there, but the Cal Poly people that went had nothing but great things to say about the McNeese fans!! Hope we meet again... in the playoffs!!

I remember that game as well. We had a home and home series but our trip to Cali got messed up by a hurricane I believe. I was looking forward to that trip.

elon77
June 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Elon vs William and Mary.

ngineer
June 10th, 2012, 10:41 PM
PL has had a 'working relationship' with the IL for many years and prior to PL becoming eligible for the I-AA playoffs, there had been talk of each league's champion facing off the weekend after Thanksgiving. So, Although we're one team short of the IL's 8, it would make sense to square off with them in some manner. But, I don't see this ever happening.