PDA

View Full Version : Frisco to be Long-Term Host of FCS Title Game?

bluehenbillk
May 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
http://m.nbcdfw.com/nbcdfw/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mh867W7O&full=true#display

This, along with not hearing a peep about any kind of bidding process points towards the game most likely staying there longer than January of 2013....

THE HERD
May 31st, 2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. They did a great job hosting I believe and the area and people were very nice.

Sam_Kats
May 31st, 2012, 04:37 PM
I like it.

mocman1990
May 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM
While I miss it in Chattanooga, I am not sure if Chattanooga would take another run at it or not (at one point they had planned to), especially now that the U.S. Pro Cycling Championships are moving to town.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usa-cycling-pro-championships-moves-to-chattanooga-adds-womens-race

eaglewraith
May 31st, 2012, 05:08 PM
I honestly don't care where it's at cause I'll be there if we're in it, however...there's an answer to this question:

It was about, 'How do we work together and make it even a bigger and better event?'"

Get ESPN to market the **** out of the playoffs and put a big production on for the championship game. That'll draw intrigue and get people interested. It hasn't been about venue, the problem has been lack of marketing.

chattownmocs
May 31st, 2012, 05:08 PM
While I miss it in Chattanooga, I am not sure if Chattanooga would take another run at it or not (at one point they had planned to), especially now that the U.S. Pro Cycling Championships are moving to town.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usa-cycling-pro-championships-moves-to-chattanooga-adds-womens-race

I don't think that would have an affect. But I think the events committee was so stunned and angry that they didn't retain it that they may not make another run at it. They should have retained it last time.

MplsBison
May 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Good.

Keep it in a big market.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
NDSU, like Montana, will travel well representing the West. Last year's game was a perfect storm for Frisco with SHSU being so close and the Bison traveling well. Georgia Southern and Furman played each other in Tacoma and Pocatello.

As long as the host city is near a major airport, it really doesn't matter. Also, with the stupid geographical seeding there's not much chance of schools close to each other playing in the NC game anymore. The NCAA wants to be bothered with this game as little as possible and get out of it cheaply.

DJKyR0
May 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Frisco was great for the title game. Tons of local businesses knew it was going down and the city administration pumped it up to the community to help sell the town with a lot of out-of-state money coming in. The host facilities were great, the stadium was awesome, and Frisco in general was a very accommodating location. The 24-hour drive wasn't a blast but if it means we make the title game again, I'm in for round two.

Here's hoping I get to see the town a few more times. xnodx

BlueHenSinfonian
May 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM
For anyone who attended last year - were you able to get a feel about how many people were locals vs fans of the teams involved? I suppose SHSU being in the game throws it off a bit since those fans would be fairly local, but was there any indication that there is enough support in the area to still sell out the house if the teams participating end up being from opposite ends of the country next year?

SpiritCymbal
May 31st, 2012, 09:53 PM
For anyone who attended last year - were you able to get a feel about how many people were locals vs fans of the teams involved? I suppose SHSU being in the game throws it off a bit since those fans would be fairly local, but was there any indication that there is enough support in the area to still sell out the house if the teams participating end up being from opposite ends of the country next year?

Great question. I remember as a kid going to the 1991 NC game between Youngstown & Marshall in Statesboro. But I don't think it was well attended by fellow GSU fans. Attendance was around 13k...about the same as it was in Frisco for the Delaware/Eastern Washington game.

DJKyR0
May 31st, 2012, 11:25 PM

Didn't seem like all that many, particularly not those who weren't fans of another school nearby. There were a few UND fans and UNI fans who must've been from the Dallas area that we ran in to, and I'm sure plenty of the SHSU contingent was from that metro as well. Other than that didn't meet a whole lot of folks that were just Frisco citizens catching a football game against two teams they didn't recognize, though obviously this is just one person's experience. Others certainly could have had different scenes play out.

To answer your question a little more specifically, I didn't get the impression that a game against, say, Delaware and Eastern Washington would sell out if the two schools didn't do it themselves.

TheRevSFA
June 1st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Didn't seem like all that many, particularly not those who weren't fans of another school nearby. There were a few UND fans and UNI fans who must've been from the Dallas area that we ran in to, and I'm sure plenty of the SHSU contingent was from that metro as well. Other than that didn't meet a whole lot of folks that were just Frisco citizens catching a football game against two teams they didn't recognize, though obviously this is just one person's experience. Others certainly could have had different scenes play out.

To answer your question a little more specifically, I didn't get the impression that a game against, say, Delaware and Eastern Washington would sell out if the two schools didn't do it themselves.

I saw a lot of fans from other Southland Schools there to support Sam.

However, as for locals getting tickets..I doubt that was even possible. Look how fast it sold out. I bet there were locals at EWU vs Delaware.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM
I saw a lot of fans from other Southland Schools there to support Sam.

However, as for locals getting tickets..I doubt that was even possible. Look how fast it sold out. I bet there were locals at EWU vs Delaware.

Did you make it to this one Rev?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=88T3-bqm84U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CKlydm2IsUQ

TheRevSFA
June 1st, 2012, 08:49 AM
Did you make it to this one Rev?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=88T3-bqm84U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CKlydm2IsUQ

YouTube is blocked at work...but I'm assuming this is the video of the 1989 championship game in which the person who put it together was a GA South fan and it looks like they won 100-0, instead of showing SFA's highlights as well, correct?

And no..I didn't make it..I was 8 at the time.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM
No Rev. This was actually very complementary of SFA and showed all of the Jacks highlights as well. I was at that game and can testify that the two teams were more or less evenly matched and SFA just made more mistakes than the Eagles.

That game was Erk's last. When you get home, check out the end of Part 2 when Erk gives his interview.

TheRevSFA
June 1st, 2012, 10:06 AM
No Rev. This was actually very complementary of SFA and showed all of the Jacks highlights as well. I was at that game and can testify that the two teams were more or less evenly matched and SFA just made more mistakes than the Eagles.

That game was Erk's last. When you get home, check out the end of Part 2 when Erk gives his interview.

I plan on it. Damned work and blocking youtube unless it is work related.

Hammerhead
June 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have no complaints about my trip to Frisco. Are there better options in the southeast or up through the mid-Altlantic states where it's a little warmer and closer to most of the schools.

Is Los Angeles too far away? They have nice weather and no pro football teams to compete with although there is USC and UCLA. Las Vegas isn't too cold in January although there's the whole gambling thing the NCAA likes to avoid.

alvinkayak6
June 2nd, 2012, 02:02 AM
I think this gives the Southland conference (namely Sam Houston and mcneese and stephen f austin) a decided advantage in the playoff proceedings. not fair to the Southern Conference or CAA or Missouri Valley or Big Sky.

DJKyR0
June 2nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
I think this gives the Southland conference (namely Sam Houston and mcneese and stephen f austin) a decided advantage in the playoff proceedings. not fair to the Southern Conference or CAA or Missouri Valley or Big Sky.

If NDSU didn't outdraw SHSU despite being 800 miles further from Frisco than Huntsville, I'd agree.

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM

Kind of like Chatty did for the Southern?

McNeese72
June 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM

Explain, how so???????? Definitely won't help the teams get to Frisco as far as I can see.

Doc

ursus arctos horribilis
June 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM

It's a pretty negligible advantage if there is one. But if there is one...so what? It's gotta be somewhere and someone is gonna be closer to it than the other team in it most of the time. Same thing with every location it's ever been at that could draw a decent crowd.

Both teams sets of fans have an equal opportunity to make the trip and just because it may be easier for one team to get there than the other doesn't mean it still isn't fairly easy to get there and support the team if you want to.

I've been in Huntington, WV and Chattanooga, TN to see the Griz play and I've been there in 6 days notice and those places ain't close to me. If you don't go and want to make up an excuse that it's easier for someone else then that is fine. It's bull**** as an excuse but whoever wants to use it should feel free to do so. I know they're full of it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Again, I should have flipped the page before posting.

Already addressed I see.

Gothmog
June 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I have no complaints about my trip to Frisco. Are there better options in the southeast or up through the mid-Altlantic states where it's a little warmer and closer to most of the schools.

Is Los Angeles too far away? They have nice weather and no pro football teams to compete with although there is USC and UCLA. Las Vegas isn't too cold in January although there's the whole gambling thing the NCAA likes to avoid.

Are you saying that you think Dallas is too cold?

dgtw
June 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM

Ask Joe Montana about football in Dallas in January.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM

The Friday we got there I was in shorts and flip-flops. Saturdays game was sweatshirt weather but definitely nicer than what I came from. I've never seen leaves on trees in January.

Strommer10
June 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
The Friday we got there I was in shorts and flip-flops. Saturdays game was sweatshirt weather but definitely nicer than what I came from. I've never seen leaves on trees in January.

It was great weather all weekend down there. A bunch of us from my group even went into my cousins outdoor pool in Dallas after the game. It was cold but I've never been in an outdoor pool in January before that. The whole trip was a great experience!

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 3rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Frisco was a great place to have the FCS title game.

I hope to make it there again this Jan!

crossfire07
June 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
As long it is in a city that you can fly into is fine with me.Having to fly in somewhere and then drive 2-3 hours to get to a city/game sucks.

henfan
June 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
We really enjoyed our time in Frisco/Plano, minus the stinky tap water in the area. It's a wise move to keep the FCS NC game there for as long as it works.

The Cats
June 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Frisco to be Long-Term Host of FCS Title Game?

I hope not, the game should be east of the Mississippi River, where the majority of teams are. Just sayin....

Hammerhead
June 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Yet 6 out of the last 20 teams to play in the championship game are located west of the Mississippi. :p

NoDak 4 Ever
June 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yet 6 out of the last 20 teams to play in the championship game are located west of the Mississippi. :p

Which is 30%. Meaning 70% of the teams are east. That, to me, is a majority!

crossfire07
June 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Frisco to be Long-Term Host of FCS Title Game?

I hope not, the game should be east of the Mississippi River, where the majority of teams are. Just sayin....

That has already been done and they couldn't keep it. I don't know of a bigger city than the DFW area in the east that wants it. If they did move it, a requirement should be that the city have ample air transportation.

Bogus Megapardus
June 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I still maintain that the title game would create the most interest at the largest and most well-known FCS stadium of all - the Yale Bowl.

MplsBison
June 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
That has already been done and they couldn't keep it. I don't know of a bigger city than the DFW area in the east that wants it. If they did move it, a requirement should be that the city have ample air transportation.

Would have to be Atlanta. No idea who would bid.

MAYBE Charlotte, but considering how much less of a hub CLT is than ATL and how close they are anyway - might as well be ATL.

Hammerhead
June 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, but only about 20% of the teams are west of the Mississippi so they are over-represented by a percent chance of being in the title game. Prolly cause there are more good teams out west.

Which is 30%. Meaning 70% of the teams are east. That, to me, is a majority!

grayghost06
June 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm all for the FCS remaining in Frisco as it's only 10 miles from where I live. Would be fantastic if my Dukes made it. From a less selfish standpoint however, flights out of the DFW area are considerably more expensive than flying out of a lot of other cities of comparable size. A lot of times, you'd think you were flying out of some hayseed location rather than the 9th largest US city & 4th largest metropolitan area.

crossfire07
June 4th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Would have to be Atlanta. No idea who would bid.

MAYBE Charlotte, but considering how much less of a hub CLT is than ATL and how close they are anyway - might as well be ATL.
Good thing about it in the DFW area, you have people from all of the country transplanted there.you can fly from any major city into DFW. Don't even get me started on the reasons to keep it out of Atlanta. Lol

aceinthehole
June 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I still maintain that the title game would create the most interest at the largest and most well-known FCS stadium of all - the Yale Bowl.

Agreed! Connecticut could use the tourism xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
June 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The Yale Bowl would still be a disadvantage to southern teams. The average high temp in New Haven for January is 37°. For comparison, the average January high in Dallas is 20° warmer.

LakesBison
June 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Frisco is fine, they just better remember to stock up on liqour/beer when NDSU plays there, they ran out of it at pretty much every bar that friday and saturday night!!

nothing like the BUDWEISER semi pulling up at 10:30pm and walking in with cases of Bud. hahaha.

chattownmocs
June 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM

They couldn't keep it? Who couldn't keep it? Why couldn't they keep it? Ample air transportation? Does Frisco even have an airport? Please, find and airline that flies to Chattanooga. It really isn't that hard. Or drive the hour and a half from atlanta as opposed to the 30 minutes from Dallas. Big Deal.

The idea that this game should be in a big city is absolutely asinine. What would be the advantage to that. Chattanooga is a perfect home to this game.

Hammerhead
June 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Said the completely unbiased poster. :) Most people in Fargo would tell you the Fargodome would be a perfect home. I'm sure you'd get live reports on all 3 locals newscasts the week of the game.

Chattanooga is a perfect home to this game.

bluehenbillk
June 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
They couldn't keep it? Who couldn't keep it? Why couldn't they keep it? Ample air transportation? Does Frisco even have an airport? Please, find and airline that flies to Chattanooga. It really isn't that hard. Or drive the hour and a half from atlanta as opposed to the 30 minutes from Dallas. Big Deal.

The idea that this game should be in a big city is absolutely asinine. What would be the advantage to that. Chattanooga is a perfect home to this game.

Unless something big changes the game won't come back to Chatty. The bid they submitted was a joke next to Frisco's. Why do you think the game was awarded to Frisco within 24 hours of final presentations? Don't get me wrong, I have zero against Chatty & think it's a good venue, but there is a reason you're not hearing the NCAA look to put the game elsewhere as long as they're getting the coin from Frisco.

chattownmocs
June 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Unless something big changes the game won't come back to Chatty. The bid they submitted was a joke next to Frisco's. Why do you think the game was awarded to Frisco within 24 hours of final presentations? Don't get me wrong, I have zero against Chatty & think it's a good venue, but there is a reason you're not hearing the NCAA look to put the game elsewhere as long as they're getting the coin from Frisco.

Where in the world did you hear that? I would love to see some evidence of this claim.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2010/2/26/169877/Football-Title-Game-Moves-to-Frisco.aspx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Where in the world did you hear that? I would love to see some evidence of this claim.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2010/2/26/169877/Football-Title-Game-Moves-to-Frisco.aspx

“They told me one of the deciding factors was that the NCAA thought the players in the championship game would have a more enjoyable experience in the greater Dallas area than in Chattanooga,’’ said a disappointed Smith.

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/5/1/6/6/3/9/I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpeg

Apphole
June 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Chattanooga is a perfect home to this game.

Because there's no chance UTC's in it!

*zing*

chattownmocs
June 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
“They told me one of the deciding factors was that the NCAA thought the players in the championship game would have a more enjoyable experience in the greater Dallas area than in Chattanooga,’’ said a disappointed Smith.

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/5/1/6/6/3/9/I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpeg

Yeah, that doesn't really make much sense. The game is in Frisco, Texas. 30 minutes outside of Dallas. If I were a coach I would rather not have to shuttle my players 20 minutes back and forth to have a great time.

crossfire07
June 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Frisco is 28 miles from DFW which is a major hub. Chatty is a commuter city that you can not fly directly into and is no where ANYTHING major.If I drive in from Atlanta then that means I have to rent a car and drive. I had rather just 1 plane ride and a 30 minute hotel shuttle.Some people like going to a big city and enjoy themselves before and after a game.The DFW area offers DAYS of things to do.In Chatty, once you see ROCK CITY, it is time to go home :)

chattownmocs
June 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Frisco is 28 miles from DFW which is a major hub. Chatty is a commuter city that you can not fly directly into and is no where ANYTHING major.If I drive in from Atlanta then that means I have to rent a car and drive. I had rather just 1 plane ride and a 30 minute hotel shuttle.Some people like going to a big city and enjoy themselves before and after a game.The DFW area offers DAYS of things to do.In Chatty, once you see ROCK CITY, it is time to go home :)

Amazing how many experts we have on Chattanooga from people who live everywhere but here. Chattanooga is called the scenic city for a reason. There are many many things to do there. You could not see it in a month. It has been named one of the top cities for outdoor adventure in the country by numerous publications. It is a perfect place for limitless, clean, fun for a student athlete, or the parent of a student athlete, or a fan. Dallas is a great place to go to a strip club or do something of that nature. Not exactly where I would want my football team.

As far as not being able to fly in there, false. There is an airport and you can fly in from most major cities. Catch a connector flight. You can shuttle from Atlanta to Chattanooga as well. It happens every day. Once again, not sure where you are getting your wildly false information.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, that doesn't really make much sense. The game is in Frisco, Texas. 30 minutes outside of Dallas. If I were a coach I would rather not have to shuttle my players 20 minutes back and forth to have a great time.

I didn't even get into Dallas. I drove in but those that flew came into DFW which is alread on the north end, close to Frisco. We stayed in Plano and had a blast. Frisco/Plano had everything we needed so no shuttling required.

LakesBison
June 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Ndsu teams and fans stayed 1 mile from stadium.
Dallas or Texas doesnt like football?? Really??

& I actually enjoyed the strip clubs in dallas

eaglewraith
June 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Ndsu teams and fans stayed 1 mile from stadium.
Dallas or Texas doesnt like football?? Really??

& I actually enjoyed the strip clubs in dallas

I've heard Babydolls is awesome if it's still open.

crossfire07
June 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Amazing how many experts we have on Chattanooga from people who live everywhere but here. Chattanooga is called the scenic city for a reason. There are many many things to do there. You could not see it in a month. It has been named one of the top cities for outdoor adventure in the country by numerous publications. It is a perfect place for limitless, clean, fun for a student athlete, or the parent of a student athlete, or a fan. Dallas is a great place to go to a strip club or do something of that nature. Not exactly where I would want my football team.

As far as not being able to fly in there, false. There is an airport and you can fly in from most major cities. Catch a connector flight. You can shuttle from Atlanta to Chattanooga as well. It happens every day. Once again, not sure where you are getting your wildly false information.

It is not false at all. I did not ever say you could not fly in there. I said it is a commuter airport meaning you have to fly to a major city then fly in. It is a small time airport. You can fly straight into DFW from all over the world.

chattownmocs
June 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
It is not false at all. I did not ever say you could not fly in there. I said it is a commuter airport meaning you have to fly to a major city then fly in. It is a small time airport. You can fly straight into DFW from all over the world.

OK, can you fly to Frisco?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Jesus, you are either just stupid or being intentionally dense. I can understand coming from a town the size of Chattanooga that you don't understand the concept of a metropolitan area, but DFW airport is a reasonable distance from elsewhere in the city, just like any other large city.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Who cares? If it's 20-30 minutes and a hotel shuttle picks up you up and deposits you there then it's the same as flying into Chatty which I've done and then got on a bus to go to the hotel which was at least 20-30 mins. as well.

I liked Chatty a lot but they got beat out and from all assertions it's a good venue that it was moved to. It was at a good venue prior to the move.

I don't have the #'s at hand but I have seen them in the past and remember that Chatty was outbid by a wide margin.

The one and only thing I did not like about Chatty is they were not good at serving drinks in an efficient fashion at a lot of places The Griz events were at. They were flat out bad at it.

Chatty was top notch in all other areas from my experience there.

Tubby Raymond
June 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Frisco is 28 miles from DFW which is a major hub. Chatty is a commuter city that you can not fly directly into and is no where ANYTHING major.If I drive in from Atlanta then that means I have to rent a car and drive. I had rather just 1 plane ride and a 30 minute hotel shuttle.Some people like going to a big city and enjoy themselves before and after a game.The DFW area offers DAYS of things to do.In Chatty, once you see ROCK CITY, it is time to go home :)I'm in the minority but greatly preferred Chatty to Frisco, not just because of the outcome either.

DFW is a wasteland compared to the beauty of the Chatty area.

3 airports to choose from and scenic ride in and back. Fireworks TOO

TheRevSFA
June 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, that doesn't really make much sense. The game is in Frisco, Texas. 30 minutes ou, or Ptside of Dallas. If I were a coach I would rather not have to shuttle my players 20 minutes back and forth to have a great time.

Obviously you have never been to Frisco or Plano or DFW area.

Let's see..9th major market in the US, or Chattanooga...

I'd take the major market if I was trying to make money off of it.

katstrapper
June 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Great venue for this game and event. Frisco does an awesome job of hosting.

MplsBison
June 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM

I am frankly surprised at how many direct flights there are to other continents from DFW and on foreign carriers as well. Emirates, Qantas, Korean, Lufthansa.

Delta basically has MSP on lockdown and they've got London, Paris, Amsterdam and Tokyo for direct flights to other continents, that's it.

alvinkayak6
June 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Kind of like Chatty did for the Southern?

You can't say that Sam Houston State wouldn't have an advantage over Weber State.

Hammerhead
June 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Judging from aerial photos, it looks like there is more parking around the stadium in Frisco. Did they have anything like the tailgate town on gameday before this year? The pre-game activities were a nice warm-up for the action on the field and I'm sure they will keep the tailgate town going.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Judging from aerial photos, it looks like there is more parking around the stadium in Frisco. Did they have anything like the tailgate town on gameday before this year? The pre-game activities were a nice warm-up for the action on the field and I'm sure they will keep the tailgate town going.

That was never lacking in Chatty either. The parking lot tailgating was there but it was a small part of the tailgating and there was not an enormous amount of parking in the paved lots but right across the street there was a big open air, covered area called the Cricket Pavillion with dirt parking around it and it was a pretty big party central there. There were also warehouse style tailgating in one of the buildings that was real close (across the parking lot) as well.

Bands, food, tons of beer, bring your own, all was covered in that place.

FargoBison
June 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM
The game belongs close to a major airport, sorry Chatty but you should be out of the running forever. I don't really care if the game moves further east, just put it at an easy location to travel to by air. That said I though Frisco did a great job putting the game on, even if some places close to the stadium weren't prepared for the demand they were going to see.

I'm sure Chatty is a nice city, too bad it isn't closer to a major airport.

Grizo406
June 4th, 2012, 10:47 PM

I love Chattanooga, and could easily live in your fine city!

The last time I was there was in 2008 and was treated very well by the locals. What won me over was the fact that there was a condom store not too far from T-Bones, and Davenport stadium.

On my visit, I spent a lot of time/money in all three of the above mention places and had a terrific time!

That type of diversity is what got me to thinkin'..."Hey, I could live here!".xnodx

Apphole
June 4th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I preferred it in Chatty where we could regularly set the stadium's attendance record.

crossfire07
June 5th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Obviously you have never been to Frisco or Plano or DFW area.

Let's see..9th major market in the US, or Chattanooga...

I'd take the major market if I was trying to make money off of it.

I give up trying to make someone believe that p00 DOES stink. :)

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Some of the arguments on this thread are as if Chattanooga dd not successfully host the game for 13 years and turn it around from what it was before. I don't see any great improvement from Frisco to this point. Similar attendance. Maybe they offered more money but I doubt the game has as much stamina in Frsico as it did in Chattanooga.

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Some of the arguments on this thread are as if Chattanooga dd not successfully host the game for 13 years and turn it around from what it was before. I don't see any great improvement from Frisco to this point. Similar attendance. Maybe they offered more money but I doubt the game has as much stamina in Frsico as it did in Chattanooga.

Maybe they won't have the money after pizza hut took off.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
IMO, if I'm going to travel to see Lehigh play for the national title I could careless what other sightseeing options are available. In fact, i would prefer it be in a location where it's all about the game.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
IMO, if I'm going to travel to see Lehigh play for the national title I could careless what other sightseeing options are available. In fact, i would prefer it be in a location where it's all about the game.

How many people can justify a trip like that just for a football game?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Outside of the reception the night before, all I did was go to the game, and I drove by myself from Ohio.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM

How many people can justify blowing a boatload of money to attend a football game along with various other activities? If you just go to the game and keep your entertainment limited to food and drink you can do it without breaking the bank.

Why do some people drive 10 hours roundtrip "just for a football game"?

bluehenbillk
June 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Maybe they offered more money but I doubt the game has as much stamina in Frsico as it did in Chattanooga.

You just answered your own question.

Per my earlier post which you just cried wolf on: I used to live in Overland Park, KS, former home of the NCAA before it moved to Indy & still talk to a few people at the NCAA. The fact of the matter is, with the deal the NCAA got from Frisco in guaranteed money, they could play in front of a completely empty stadium & be better off financially then with the deal they had in Chattanooga, that's what the difference in the bids was & that's why the NCAA did the unheard of, which actually IMHO was a diss to Chatty & award the game to Frisco less than 24 hours after the presentations were done.

Believe me, I have no ill will towards Chattanooga, and I don't think Frisco should be the game's permanent home either, personally I'd like to see it rotate around. But the NCAA was having financial issues with carrying the 1-AA/FCS football tournament & got what they needed out of Frisco which was a serious chunk of change. I don't know the number but I was just told the difference between the two bids was "substantial". If you hear other things about playing the game in a metro area, etc, that's nothing but fluff. The NCAA made the decision on one factor: ca-ching.

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
How many people can justify blowing a boatload of money to attend a football game along with various other activities? If you just go to the game and keep your entertainment limited to food and drink you can do it without breaking the bank.

Because it's not just a football game.....lol. You have school pride, the entertainment, the experience, you can make it into more of a trip too, and your team probably won't be at the National Championship Game every year. Well, I can dream they will anyways!xholyx

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM
You just answered your own question.

Per my earlier post which you just cried wolf on: I used to live in Overland Park, KS, former home of the NCAA before it moved to Indy & still talk to a few people at the NCAA. The fact of the matter is, with the deal the NCAA got from Frisco in guaranteed money, they could play in front of a completely empty stadium & be better off financially then with the deal they had in Chattanooga, that's what the difference in the bids was & that's why the NCAA did the unheard of, which actually IMHO was a diss to Chatty & award the game to Frisco less than 24 hours after the presentations were done.

Believe me, I have no ill will towards Chattanooga, and I don't think Frisco should be the game's permanent home either, personally I'd like to see it rotate around. But the NCAA was having financial issues with carrying the 1-AA/FCS football tournament & got what they needed out of Frisco which was a serious chunk of change. I don't know the number but I was just told the difference between the two bids was "substantial". If you hear other things about playing the game in a metro area, etc, that's nothing but fluff. The NCAA made the decision on one factor: ca-ching.

I simply asked for some evidence and you have yet to show it. If this information was made public than you should be able to provide some information on what the figures were. After thinking about it I would not be surprised if the Chattanooga Sports and events committee would not be able to out bid the Southland conference. That being said, I don't think the bid made a whole lot of difference to the NCAA. They rake in so much money from the NCAA basketball tourney that this is just peanuts anyway. I would guess that the real money comes from ESPN for the broadcasting rights. The only problem is that wasn't this game shown on Saturday afternoon on Jan.7 on ESPN2 rather than the final Friday night in December on ESPN. Doubt that has anything to do with the venue but the NCAA seems to have made a mistake in allowing that to happen. They need to worry about the atmosphere and the credibility of their product and not just the few peanuts more that can be generated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Because it's not just a football game.....lol. You have school pride, the entertainment, the experience, you can make it into more of a trip too, and your team probably won't be at the National Championship Game every year. Well, I can dream they will anyways!xholyx

I completely agree with you. My point is, if I'm going to travel to see Lehigh play for the national title I could careless about the touristy stuff. The game itself and the events directly related to it is all I need.

blaw0203
June 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Frisco is a HORRIBLE location for the game, 2010 proved that with the VERY LOW attendance! The 2011 game only got 20k fans because of how close Sam Houston State is to Frisco. A destination such as Orlando, Florida would be a much better option for the FCS Championship Game!

OIA is a nice airport and travel would be easy for fans from anywhere. Plus, there is the Disney factor. ESPN already airs the game and ESPN is owned by Disney. If Disney is brought on as the title sponsor, they are capable of rolling out the red carpet unlike any other entity in the WORLD! Student athletes could stay in Disney Hotels complimentary, a parade could be set up throughout the Magic Kingdom, the opportunities to what Disney can provide are endless. Then, given that Disney, Universal, and Sea World are in Orlando, that would be a HUGE PLUS for fans with families who could view it as enjoying football and having a family vacation ALL IN ONE! Orlando, FL is a great spot for this game.

The Citrus Bowl is big and needs some work, but the City and County does have plans to renovate it. If another venue is preferred, keep in mind there is UCFs Bright House Stadium that could host. Either would provide the space needed to grow the game and possibly raise the profile of FCS!

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Yes, you can drive yourself, sleep in your truck in the parking lot, go to the game and then drive back when it's over. Then it only costs you gas, the game ticket and some hot dogs from the gas station.

Can I sign up for that now?

NoDak 4 Ever
Frisco is a HORRIBLE location for the game, 2010 proved that with the VERY LOW attendance! The 2011 game only got 20k fans because of how close Sam Houston State is to Frisco. A destination such as Orlando, Florida would be a much better option for the FCS Championship Game!

OIA is a nice airport and travel would be easy for fans from anywhere. Plus, there is the Disney factor. ESPN already airs the game and ESPN is owned by Disney. If Disney is brought on as the title sponsor, they are capable of rolling out the red carpet unlike any other entity in the WORLD! Student athletes could stay in Disney Hotels complimentary, a parade could be set up throughout the Magic Kingdom, the opportunities to what Disney can provide are endless. Then, given that Disney, Universal, and Sea World are in Orlando, that would be a HUGE PLUS for fans with families who could view it as enjoying football and having a family vacation ALL IN ONE! Orlando, FL is a great spot for this game.

The Citrus Bowl is big and needs some work, but the City and County does have plans to renovate it. If another venue is preferred, keep in mind there is UCFs Bright House Stadium that could host. Either would provide the space needed to grow the game and possibly raise the profile of FCS!

You sure there aren't some islands in the Atlantic that wouldn't be farther from the western US? Your arguments are about as strong as chattown

MplsBison

12k NDSU fans, many from ND and Minnesota.

Try again.

NoDak 4 Ever
Yes, you can drive yourself, sleep in your truck in the parking lot, go to the game and then drive back when it's over. Then it only costs you gas, the game ticket and some hot dogs from the gas station.

Can I sign up for that now?

Only if you can get a ticket.

bluehenbillk
June 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
They rake in so much money from the NCAA basketball tourney that this is just peanuts anyway. I would guess that the real money comes from ESPN for the broadcasting rights. The only problem is that wasn't this game shown on Saturday afternoon on Jan.7 on ESPN2 rather than the final Friday night in December on ESPN. Doubt that has anything to do with the venue but the NCAA seems to have made a mistake in allowing that to happen.

Broadcasting rights for the FCS Championship Game? You're kidding right? The most watched FCS game in history was seen by slightly more than 2 million viewers. How much, if anything, do you think the NCAA is getting from ESPN to televise this game, no matter where it's played. Do us a favor, go do your own research & come back to us with the answers you find.

blaw0203
June 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM
12k NDSU fans, many from ND and Minnesota.

Try again.

NDSU fans outnumbered SHSU?

If NDSU fans didnt mind traveling to Frisco TX (as you stated), surely they wouldnt mind venturing to sunny Orlando FL! Unlike NDSU, Eastern Washington and Deleware fans did not take to Frisco which is why attendance was a paltry 13k fans. THATS PATHETIC FOR THE FCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! FCS is better than that! 2012 will be an eye-opener to the viability of Frisco as a location to host this game.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM

If NDSU fans didnt mind traveling to Frisco TX (as you stated), surely they wouldnt mind venturing to sunny Orlando FL! Unlike NDSU, Eastern Washington and Deleware fans did not take to Frisco which is why attendance was a paltry 13k fans. THATS PATHETIC FOR THE FCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! FCS is better than that! 2012 will be an eye-opener to the viability of Frisco as a location to host this game.

I very good number of fans drove or took charter busses, a straight shot down I-29 to Texas, about 17 hrs on the road. That same trip would take almost twice as long to Orlando. I don't think that's even an option.

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM
He just wants it close to FAMU..that's all.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 02:34 PM
He just wants it close to FAMU..that's all.

That's the only way it will be close to FAMU anytime soon.

Sam_Kats
June 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Dwight Howard doesn't like Orlando...just saying

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Espn paid the Ncaa 550 million dollars for the rights to broadcast all championship events except basketball. We all know the ncaa doesnt own the television righrs to the bcs. How much did.the.southland conference bid to get the game again?

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Espn paid the Ncaa 550 million dollars for the rights to broadcast all championship events except basketball. We all know the ncaa doesnt own the television righrs to the bcs. How much did.the.southland conference bid to get the game again?

More than Chatty did.

Simple enough.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM

If Finley Stadium and PHP/FCD Stadium have the same capacity but the latter has end zone seating an a less cavernous setup, the sightlines are better. Not only that but I wanted breakfast and there was a subway adjacent to our tailgating lot, there WERE tailgating lots, and TONS of parking. Just the stadium alone wins.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM

1000 mi to Dallas or 1800 mi to Orlando. OR, direct flight to Dallas vs flying to Atlanta and then Orlando.

I'd be fine with the game Atlanta. Not Orlando.

eaglewraith
June 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM

This guy.

I'd be going for the football game....period.

And some alcohol, but that's secondary to the game.

eaglewraith
June 5th, 2012, 04:55 PM

You forget one thing. ESPN cares dick about promoting the playoffs and the championship in general. As a result, ESPN/ABC/Disney couldn't give 2 ****s about making this game a spectacle. If they did, they wouldn't keep scheduling it so close to the Cotton Bowl.

The playoffs need better marketing. Make it a bigger event that draws in viewers, then worry about moving it somewhere when it actually sells out on a consistent basis.

It'll never happen, so Frisco is as good of a place as any right now.

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
If Finley Stadium and PHP/FCD Stadium have the same capacity but the latter has end zone seating an a less cavernous setup, the sightlines are better. Not only that but I wanted breakfast and there was a subway adjacent to our tailgating lot, there WERE tailgating lots, and TONS of parking. Just the stadium alone wins.

I guarantee you that Finley stadium has better sight lines. Almost certainly better tailgating as well in the pavilion. Forget all that if you would rather have a convenient Subway than enjoy all of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jNHZedA4o&feature=fvwrel

First 6 minutes, All within walking distance of your downtown hotel,

I feel sorry for you.

Chattanooga has arrived. Frisco dreams of one day being like Chattanooga.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM

I would go anywhere to watch the Bison!

crossfire07
June 5th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Chattanooga is a has been.Get over it.She left and she isn't coming back.Go try and stay busy keeping the bicycle championship in town.Chattanooga can't mess with Texas!

Tubby Raymond
June 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Frisco looks like set at Paramount back in the old days, nothing behind the facade. No there, there

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM
This guy.

I'd be going for the football game....period.

And some alcohol, but that's secondary to the game.

I should know better than to ask a simple question of AGS.

Instead of interpreting it correctly, that I was implying most people can't justify to their families (wives), to their employers, to their own checking accounts, etc. spending a lot of money or time to fly or drive somewhere far away *just* to see a football game (and not make it a family vacation, or something of the like) - AGS takes it on a complete tangent.

No, tangent assumes that you started from the right path, then veered off course.

You teleported to a completely different plane of reality. Yes, that's better.

As if I personally challenged each and every one of you hardcore fans, who would dare claim that he would travel to the national championship game?

*shakes head*

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing