PDA

View Full Version : App State mentioned in same breath as Big XII?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19206833/big-12s-born-again-and-feeling-its-oats-at-10-12-or-14

In case you haven't noticed, it has become a suit-eat-suit world out there. The ACC has no reservations about cutting off the Big East at the knees twice since 2003. The recent TV deals/extensions given to the Pac-12, ACC and Big 12 by ESPN and Fox achieved a secondary goal for those rights-holders -- stiff-arming college-football hungry NBC Comcast from becoming a player. Without saying it, they're saying it: Today's traditional college football networks want the traditional college football powers on their air. Only.

The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Professor Chaos
May 31st, 2012, 09:28 AM
His source may want to find a new industry...

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
That would be awesome xlolx

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
App St> Florida St.

Reasons why:

1. They are in 17 TV markets
2. They will soon have 2...that's right 2 four lane highways going into Boone.
3. Boone is now an international airport
4. Boone has a Super Wal-Mart, Chilis, and a Jimmy Johns. (Cue the Jefferson's intro)
5. Their stadium is named after a convicted felon

I could go on and on.....

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 09:56 AM
Everyone, please come on in and take your shots at Appalachian now that a perfect thread has been created for doing so. We are sitting in the dunking booth, grab a ball and give it your best toss!

In case more fuel is needed, today we had two players declared academically ineligible for 2012. Trevor Sawyer, our 6-6, 230 lb projected starter at TE and Quarrterrio Morgan, our 3-star RB transfer who was supposed to compete for a starting spot as well.

Sometimes, you just have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOJY4NXYzM&feature=autoplay&list=PLC40BAFFE092FFB51&playnext=1&shuffle=80049

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 09:58 AM
Everyone, please come on in and take your shots at Appalachian now that a perfect thread has been created for doing so. We are sitting in the dunking booth, grab a ball and give it your best toss!

It's all in good fun man, it's just a message board. I'm sure I'll get some return fire.

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM
It's all in good fun man, it's just a message board. I'm sure I'll get some return fire.

No worries, I was just joking around too. Trust me, I don't get angry about anything that happens on the boards. When it rains, it sure does pour though. Sometimes it feels like the entire Appalachian fan base has been in Vegas for the last year watching the dealer land on 21! xlolx

darell1976
May 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM
App State before NDSU?? No way!!!!

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't think people are reading this. All the guy is saying is that the money is the same, no matter who the Big XII adds. He used App State as an example of how it doesn't matter. He is not implying that the Big XII is interested.

I know some of you get this, but some of the comments make me thinkna few misread it. :)

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 10:33 AM
App St> Florida St.

Reasons why:

4. Boone has a Super Wal-Mart, Chilis, and a Jimmy Johns. (Cue the Jefferson's intro)

Don't get me started on franchise restaurants. I know you're only familiar with Ruby Tuesday and Applebees (seeing as how they represent the UNCc "bar scene"), but Boone actually has a plethora of one-of-a-kind restaurants. Some of the best eating in the state on NC.

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Can this go to the smack forum please?

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think people are reading this. All the guy is saying is that the money is the same, no matter who the Big XII adds. He used App State as an example of how it doesn't matter. He is not implying that the Big XII is interested.

I know some of you get this, but some of the comments make me thinkna few misread it. :)

So you're saying I should call my cable company and cancel that subscription I just purchased for the Longhorn Network? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think people are reading this. All the guy is saying is that the money is the same, no matter who the Big XII adds....

.... whether it's the Crown Jewel of Southern football.... or the opposite extreme in his mind, App State. xlolx

That was my point.

FYI, I like App State. They're a Crown Jewel of FCS. Just not in the FBS.

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
.... whether it's the Crown Jewel of Southern football.... or the opposite extreme in his mind, App State. xlolx

That was my point.

FYI, I like App State. They're a Crown Jewel of FCS. Just not in the FBS.

Very subtle, but I picked up on the dig. Florida State is the crown jewel of Southern football? That is news to Nick Saban.

cbarrier90
May 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
App St> Florida St.

Reasons why:

That is a FINE eating establishment and so is JJ's! I had chicken crispers with fries last night and they were delicious! xlolx

To Mike's post, sucks to hear that about Sawyer. I was really hoping he would crack the starting lineup as the heir apparent to Jorden. As for Q, I wasn't all that impressed with him during the spring scrimmage, and that only leaves us with about 45 RBs on the depth chart now. At worst, this will probably mean Holloway misses out on a redshirt.

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM
That is a FINE eating establishment and so is JJ's! I had chicken crispers with fries last night and they were delicious! xlolx

If Michael Scott is doing business there, it good enough for anyone xthumbsupx

cbarrier90
May 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM
If Michael Scott is doing business there, it good enough for anyone xthumbsupx

FWIW, Boone did beat Charlotte to the punch with Macado's! Now THERE'S a good sammich!

LFN, thank you for this thread. I needed a pick-me-up, because as I type, Anthony Davis is giving an interview on the Dan Patrick Show where he says his mom hoped he would play for Jordan in Charlotte.

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Some of the best eating in the state on NC.

You either have the palate of a toothless meth head or your just being a homer. Nothing in Boone compare to what they have in the major cities of NC.

cbarrier90
May 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM
You either have the palate of a toothless meth head or your just being a homer. Nothing in Boone compare to what they have in the major cities of NC.

I call Peddler Steakhouse to the stand! http://www.peddlerofboone.com/

Honorable Mention: Woodland's BBQ

I do see what you're saying though. Of course Boone isn't going to compare to Charlotte with restaurants per square mile.

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
I call Peddler Steakhouse to the stand! http://www.peddlerofboone.com/

Honorable Mention: Woodland's BBQ

Woodlands is excellent! I try to stop by every time I make it up the mountain. I've searched low and high, have not been able to find better BBQ here in Charlotte. Peddler is pretty good but NOTHING can touch The Gamekeeper. Absolutely amazing.

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
I've searched low and high, have not been able to find better BBQ here in Charlotte.

Have you tried Midwood Smokehouse?

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM

Pure ignorance.

Black Cat
Comeback Shack
Woodlands BBQ
Coyote Kitchen (Just published in a few mags for their "boats")
Wolfies
Peddler
Cafe Portifino

Just to name a few.

Pinky's is alright. Best burger in the Charlotte.

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM

HA! I've been there a few times. It has nothing on Woodlands, I assure you. And it doesn't have live blue grass either.

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM

I have not, I'll have to check that out! Love Plaza Midwood though. It is a hike from my house but I love good BBQ, so I'll have to make the trip up there. My frequenting of the Plaza Midwood area has decreased significantly since The Penguin (The REAL Penguin) shut the doors.

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Pinky's is alright. Best burger in the Charlotte.

Love Pinky's but Bad Daddy's Burger Bar blows them away.

JSUBison
May 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Are you guys for real? Woodlands BBQ? xlolx No wonder all the other southern states looks down on NC BBQ when you call that dried out pulled pork lathered with vinegar and ketchup, "BBQ". The whole menu is bland. NC has good seafood on the banks, but that's about as far as it goes. xtwocentsx

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Are you guys for real? Woodlands BBQ? xlolx No wonder all the other southern states looks down on NC BBQ when you call that dried out pulled pork lathered with vinegar and ketchup, "BBQ". The whole menu is bland. NC has good seafood on the banks, but that's about as far as it goes. xtwocentsx

Dried out? Have you ever actually been there? NC is the standard in Southern BBQ, not sure what you are talking about. Some like Eastern NC, some like Western NC but the only competition is Kansas City BBQ, which is also delicious but not in the South.

cbarrier90
May 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Are you guys for real? Woodlands BBQ? xlolx No wonder all the other southern states looks down on NC BBQ when you call that dried out pulled pork lathered with vinegar and ketchup, "BBQ".

Well, I suppose when your BBQ is at the top, everybody else wants to drag it down...

JSUBison
May 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm not yanking your chain. Of course I've been there. My personal preference is any BBQ but NC. Having said that, I think Woodlands when compared to other NC style BBQ I've had is average at best. Been there 2X, and won't go back. Nobody I know is high up on it either. Not saying they are a bad restaurant, just that they don't know BBQ. :D

TheRevSFA
May 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
I like how this thread went onto barbecue...

I guess it could have been worse.

asumike83
May 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM

... it could have been chili!

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 11:38 AM
I've eaten in Boone and I've eaten in Charlotte. I just don't see a whole lot of difference....and don't even get me started with all that east coast BBQ bias, crap. My family's had cattle for 150 years and drove it overland from the Rio Grande Valley to Omaha back in the day. You easterners don't know **** about BBQ ;)

TheRevSFA
May 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
... it could have been chili!

The state dish of Texas is Chili, FYI. Please don't question us again.

No_Skill
May 31st, 2012, 12:04 PM
The state dish of Texas is Chili, FYI. Please don't question us again.

...with lots of beans. ;)

TheRevSFA
May 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM
...with lots of beans. ;)

Ya shure yabetcha, don'tcha know?

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 12:12 PM
I have not, I'll have to check that out! Love Plaza Midwood though. It is a hike from my house but I love good BBQ, so I'll have to make the trip up there. My frequenting of the Plaza Midwood area has decreased significantly since The Penguin (The REAL Penguin) shut the doors.

Pinky's is the soul of the old Penguin

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not yanking your chain. Of course I've been there. My personal preference is any BBQ but NC. Having said that, I think Woodlands when compared to other NC style BBQ I've had is average at best. Been there 2X, and won't go back. Nobody I know is high up on it either. Not saying they are a bad restaurant, just that they don't know BBQ. :D

You're an ignorant fool that not only most likely ordered the wrong thing, but has had your taste buds chemically seared off by lutefisk your whole life.

Pulled pork bbq, with a healthy potion of SPICY vinegar based sauce. That is all.

Oh and the fried okra and corn bread will cause spontaneous ejaculation if you're not used to such delicious food.

No_Skill
May 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM

Ouch man, ouch. :)

WUTNDITWAA
May 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
App fans have managed to turn a thread on AGS into one about BBQ.

Our work here is done. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Of course, the Big XII is host to the real ( ;) ) BBQ - Kansas City style.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/07/3474384/talking-gates-bbq-and-big-12-basketball.html

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM

This is one of the least intelligent things I have read on the internet. What does city size have to do with cooking ability?

mmiller_34
May 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM
This is one of the least intelligent things I have read on the internet. What does city size have to do with cooking ability?

"You cannot give rep points to the same post twice"

Well said.

TheRevSFA
May 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM

I repped this...because it's pure truth.

A prime example is Florida's kitchen in Livingston, Texas. If any of the Sam guys haven't been there, make the trip.

Best food for miles around...in a small *** town

AppAlum2003
May 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM
I repped this...because it's pure truth.

A prime example is Florida's kitchen in Livingston, Texas. If any of the Sam guys haven't been there, make the trip.

Best food for miles around...in a small *** town

Just ate at Outlaw BBQ in Mount Pleasant, TX. I have to say... I think I enjoy Texas BBQ better than NC BBQ.

Mntneer
May 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM

Thought I was on the MMB for a second there ;)

mmiller_34
May 31st, 2012, 01:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XEHwUBubk

TheRevSFA
May 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Just ate at Outlaw BBQ in Mount Pleasant, TX. I have to say... I think I enjoy Texas BBQ better than NC BBQ.

Cooper's BBQ in Llano is my favorite in all of Texas.

Grand Prize in Texas City is pretty damned good. Same with Butcher Boys in Nacogdoches.

I'll have to try Outlaw next time we go up to Mount Pleasant to visit my wife's family.

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 01:58 PM
Prasek's Hillje Smokehouse on Hwy 59 near Victoria is damned hard to beat....

SpeedkingATL
May 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM

Come over to any of the App message boards where every thread eventually goes to barbecue......

I just wish some BBQ joint around Atlanta could learn how to make a decent vinegar based cole slaw!

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 02:15 PM

Big cities attract a higher level of culinary talent. Any great chef wants to showcase his or her talents to as many people as possible. Also, the reason why the majority of culinary schools are located in larger cities.

Very rarely will you hear someone like Wolfgang Puck say I want to open my next restaurant in Sumter, SC.

Small towns may have their good spots here and there but they never compare to the larger cities as a whole.

AshevilleApp2
May 31st, 2012, 02:21 PM

I've had both and really enjoy both. I'll take pork over beef. NC wins.

Edit: Woodlands isn't good 'cue. Sorry App folks.

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM
Big cities attract a higher level of culinary talent. Any great chef wants to showcase his or her talents to as many people as possible. Also, the reason why the majority of culinary schools are located in larger cities.

Very rarely will you hear someone like Wolfgang Puck say I want to open my next restaurant in Sumter, SC.

Small towns may have their good spots here and there but they never compare to the larger cities as a whole.

Philistine....

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM
Philistine....

Simpleton......oooo see what I did there.

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, you referred to your intellectual better as a simpleton, in perhaps the most ironic post on AGS today....Congrats!

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, you referred to your intellectual better as a simpleton, in perhaps the most ironic post on AGS today....Congrats!

Here we go....

You really do have the traits of a female narcissist.

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM

Oh I see. You're into "fine dining." xlolx

A little pink smear in the middle of a funky shaped plate will never compare to restaurants with character and soul, no matter how much more you pay for it.

Character: Just one of the many facets in which UNCC comes up very short.

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Here we go....

You really do have the traits of a female narcissist.

Project much?

TheBisonator
May 31st, 2012, 02:47 PM
I like both Carolina and KC BBQ. I hate Texas BBQ. I have never found a Texas-style BBQ establishment (In Texas or out of TX) that didn't have dry, stringy ribs. Plus TX BBQ tends to use dry rub too much, and I prefer my ribs saucy.

KC BBQ I love more for the meat. Carolina BBQ for the sauces they use. (I like mustard/vinegar based sauces, just my personal preference).

WH49er
May 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM

A little pink smear in the middle of a funky shaped plate will never compare to restaurants with character and soul, no matter how much more you pay for it.

Not all "fine dining" is as pretentious as you want to make it seem.

I give you credit for staying in true Apphole form. Another pestilent assumption followed by an insult.

At this point I've chalked it up as your mother breast fed you too long.

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Not all "fine dining" is as pretentious as you want to make it seem.

I give you credit for staying in true Apphole form. Another pestilent assumption followed by an insult.

At this point I've chalked it up as your mother breast fed you too long.

Pshhh, I was eating medium-rare steaks the day after I was born.

Don't try to pretend that your Alma mater isn't surrounded by nothing but franchise restaurants. What kind of college student would drive 20 minutes down town and pay $80 for "Wolfgang's" prized spoon full of gourmet cat food?

49RFootballNow
May 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM

Don't worry, I'm here to get this thread back on track.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w476/Stanton49/Charlie1a.jpg

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM

You're so good at memeing.

FormerPokeCenter
May 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Pshhh, I was eating medium-rare steaks the day after I was born.

Don't try to pretend that your Alma mater isn't surrounded by nothing but franchise restaurants. What kind of college student would drive 20 minutes down town and pay $80 for "Wolfgang's" prized spoon full of gourmet cat food?

if you do a "Fine Dining, Charlotte, NC" search on Google, the first listing that comes up is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse... ;)

asu3peat
May 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
Chima Brazilian steakhouse in downtown Charlotte is awesome. Went there my past two b-days. The parmesan encrusted pork tenderloin, as Apphole so eloquently put it, will make you spontaneously ejaculate.

BBQ = Pork

As another poster pointed out, Woodlands is good "Q" but it's not the best in NC.

49RFootballNow
May 31st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Chima Brazilian steakhouse in downtown Charlotte is awesome. Went there my past two b-days. The parmesan encrusted pork tenderloin, as Apphole so eloquently put it, will make you spontaneously ejaculate.

BBQ = Pork

As another poster pointed out, Woodlands is good "Q" but it's not the best in NC.

Chima is awesome. Apphole, can you clear your PM box so I can send you one?

Apphole
May 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Chima is awesome. Apphole, can you clear your PM box so I can send you one?

All clear. Whisper away

mmiller_34
May 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM

http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20061228/Fine-Dining-Entrees-175812.jpg

No words.

walliver
May 31st, 2012, 11:57 PM
REAL BBQ is mustard-based, like the politically incorrect Piggy Park BBQ, not the vinegar soaked monstrosity made in NC.

eaglewraith
June 1st, 2012, 06:56 AM

BBQ = Pork

I've always heard that Brazilian steakhouses are fantastic. I've yet to try one out.

asumike83
June 1st, 2012, 07:07 AM
I've always heard that Brazilian steakhouses are fantastic. I've yet to try one out.

Yes, Chima is F-ing amazing. Bring your appetite.

ASUMountaineer
June 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM
I've had both and really enjoy both. I'll take pork over beef. NC wins.

Edit: Woodlands isn't good 'cue. Sorry App folks.

Great post. The best BBQ, as much as I hate to say it, is down east. Whole hog and vinegar...done.

Eaglesrus
June 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM

Some are fantastic but, as with any type of restaurant, not all places that call themselves Brazilian steakhouses are good. We arrived in Myrtle Beach sort of late one evening with no place to eat in mind. Driving around we saw a place that claimed to be one of those. Probably should have passed it up, gotten a dozen from the Krispy Kreme that was nearby and called it a night.

WUTNDITWAA
June 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
REAL BBQ is mustard-based, like the politically incorrect Piggy Park BBQ, not the vinegar soaked monstrosity made in NC.

Nope. Lexington NORTH Carolina!

WUTNDITWAA
June 1st, 2012, 07:38 AM

I've really got to get started on those memes.

Eaglesrus
June 1st, 2012, 07:38 AM
On the barbecue topic, I think this thread proves that which type is "best" is a matter of taste and to some extent what you're used to. Having said that, as far as I'm concerned you can keep pretty much anything containing vinegar as an ingredient; barbecue, cole slaw..........

asumike83
June 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM
Great post. The best BBQ, as much as I hate to say it, is down east. Whole hog and vinegar...done.

I grew up in Raleigh on the dividing line, so I had the luxury of not having to choose sides. I love Eastern and Western NC barbecue. Very different, both equally delicious.

TheRevSFA
June 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM

Chama Gaucha in Houston is incredible

49RFootballNow
June 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yes, Chima is F-ing amazing. Bring your appetite.

I'd suggest skipping lunch and maybe even breakfast the day of a Chima visit.

WUTNDITWAA
June 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM

Texas de Brazil is the shiznit.

Tintin
June 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
I've eaten in Boone and I've eaten in Charlotte. I just don't see a whole lot of difference....and don't even get me started with all that east coast BBQ bias, crap. My family's had cattle for 150 years and drove it overland from the Rio Grande Valley to Omaha back in the day. You easterners don't know **** about BBQ ;)

Barbecue is pork, not beef. The whole pig and nothing but the pig.

Oh and woodlands ok, but not that great. Isn't it also in blowing rock?

ASUMountaineer
June 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
I grew up in Raleigh on the dividing line, so I had the luxury of not having to choose sides. I love Eastern and Western NC barbecue. Very different, both equally delicious.

I agree. Personally, I prefer eastern-style. But, I won't turn either down (same goes for the mustard-style down in South Cack).

eaglesrthe1
June 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM

If you need to use sauce, or want to use sauce on your BBQ, then you aren't eating good BBQ.

SpiritCymbal
June 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM

Oh jesus! Piggy Park.....mouth just filled up with saliva. Soooooooooooooooooooo good.

Anyone that's ever been to middle Ga. will know when I say "White Diamond" too.

eaglewraith
June 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Oh jesus! Piggy Park.....mouth just filled up with saliva. Soooooooooooooooooooo good.

Anyone that's ever been to middle Ga. will know when I say "White Diamond" too.

Been living here 5 years, only been to White Diamond once.

ThompsonThe
June 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Please raise your heads, and open your mouths,
as we all say - praise be to BBQ huuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2012, 07:18 AM
big 12 related, App beat Sooners in NCAAs yesterday.