PDA

View Full Version : UND Press Conference on I-AA Move Today

Gil Dobie
June 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Could be a new I-AA team on the horizon.

Grand Forks Herald Link (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/breaking_news/14869401.htm)

UND will hold a press conference related to its NCAA athletic classification at 3 p.m. today.

The school recently completed a study regarding classification. The Sioux are Division II in all sports except for men's and women's hockey, where they compete in Division I.

UND President Charles Kupchella will make the decision on whether to stay Division II or move up to Division I.

A UND stakeholders survey regarding classification brought out two areas of concerns about a possible move to Division I: How does UND fund the move and does the school have a Division I conference it can join.

JMU Duke Dog
June 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
I am sure Great West Conference members will be interested in seeing what is said in today's North Dakota press conference.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM
Keep us informed!

mainejeff
June 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
North Dakota to D-I would be great news!

Cap'n Cat
June 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
North Dakota to D-I would be great news!

It's gonna happen, whether now or later. Best now for them.

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Yup, it will happen as D II is IMO dying.

Great news.

bison95
June 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM
Could be a new I-AA team on the horizon.

Grand Forks Herald Link (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/breaking_news/14869401.htm)

UND will hold a press conference related to its NCAA athletic classification at 3 p.m. today.

The school recently completed a study regarding classification. The Sioux are Division II in all sports except for men's and women's hockey, where they compete in Division I.

UND President Charles Kupchella will make the decision on whether to stay Division II or move up to Division I.

A UND stakeholders survey regarding classification brought out two areas of concerns about a possible move to Division I: How does UND fund the move and does the school have a Division I conference it can join.

I thought Notre Dame was already D-I:confused: Sorry my givea****ter is broke on this subject, call me when kupajella finishes ****ting and gets off the pot

RabidRabbit
June 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yup, it will happen as D II is IMO dying.

Great news.

Not dying. However, it is soon to be a clear-cut amateur level relative to D-I. Doubt that it will go away. But if keep reducing schollies from the 36 maximum going below 30, then D-II will not have really any ability to compete with I-AA teams.

This should be the camel-back breaking stick for the NCC. Hope it leads to 2-4 more move ups out of the NCC.

ccd494
June 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Not dying. However, it is soon to be a clear-cut amateur level relative to D-I. Doubt that it will go away. But if keep reducing schollies from the 36 maximum going below 30, then D-II will not have really any ability to compete with I-AA teams.

I can see it dying, as it already died in hockey. To quote the esteemed Bison fan above, it makes sense to either poop and join DI or get off the pot and join DIII. Especially with the prevelance of non-scholly I-AA's showing that you can participate with the full boat of scholarships.

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
When's the last time a team 'moved' to Division II? Honest question. I think teams will continue to migrate out to Division I until the ones that are left decide to be Division III 'plus', and eventually they just stop doing that because there aren't enough left.

:twocents:

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
btw, where's the press conference already? It's 3:38!

Oh... that's right. The press release probably refers to the 'local' time of 3:00 and not the all important and universally recognized 'real' time of EST. My bad.

:D

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM

Oh... that's right. The press release probably refers to the 'local' time of 3:00 and not the all important and universally recognized 'real' time of EST. My bad.

Eastern Time Zone Bias :bang:
xlolx

Gil Dobie
June 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM

More East Coast Biased : smh : : smh : : smh : ;) xlolx

Gil Dobie
June 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM
When's the last time a team 'moved' to Division II? Honest question. I think teams will continue to migrate out to Division I until the ones that are left decide to be Division III 'plus', and eventually they just stop doing that because there aren't enough left.

NAIA's are migrating to DII. University of Mary, in Bismarck is in the process right now.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM

There have been some moving to DII from the NAIA.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
NAIA's are migrating to DII. University of Mary, in Bismarck is in the process right now.
:bang:

Beat me too it!

Isn't Minot State doing the same thing?

henfan
June 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
UND's move to D-I and I-AA is terrific news. Maybe they can use the opportunity of promoting their reclassification to also promote a new nickname for their athletics programs... if their court case fails.

Hoping that this drives USD to more seriously consider D-I membership.

Gil Dobie
June 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
:bang:

Beat me too it!

Isn't Minot State doing the same thing?

Minot is staying NAIA for now, Dickinson St was also thinking about it I believe. Upper Iowa just became DII recently too.

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
So D II is becoming the home of NAIA programs? I'd leave there too if I was a D II program worth my salt.

Gil Dobie
June 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM
So D II is becoming the home of NAIA programs? I'd leave there too if I was a D II program worth my salt.

Basically the whole NSIC conference is former NAIA schools. Conference member Winona St won the DII basketball championship this year.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM

And don't think that won't play in the thinking of UND - possibly USD as well - to be in the same Division as "U of Mary", etc...

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM

TECHNICALLY, it would be EDT or Eastern Daylight Time since we are currently in Daylight Savings Time (at least most of the country is). EST is during the winter months.

ucdtim17
June 21st, 2006, 04:12 PM
Dixie State is moving from NAIA to D2 as well if I'm not mistaken

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 04:12 PM
Dixie State is moving from NAIA to D2 as well if I'm not mistaken

They are actually moving from NJCAA - they were a junior college.