PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference to visit three campus regarding expansion

slycat
May 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, and New Orleans.

ACU would be a fantastic pickup as they are good in almost all their sports.

http://www.acusports.com/mobile/index.aspx?story=10364

McNeese75
May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I agree, ACU would be a good choice

Sammy94
May 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
ACU is the best choice but what a long road trip.

BEAR
May 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
So is this the Southland in a couple of years?

UCA
Lamar
McNeese
Nicholls
Northwestern
Southeastern Louisiana
SFA
Sam Houston
Texas A&M C.C.
Abiline Christian
Oral Roberts
Incarnate Word
UNO
Houston Baptist

Sammy94
May 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Look at it like this:

West

SFA
Sam Houston
Texas A&M C.C.
Abiline Christian
Oral Roberts (non-football)
Incarnate Word
Houston Baptist

East

UCA
Lamar
McNeese
Nicholls
Northwestern
Southeastern Louisiana
UNO (non-football)

slycat
May 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
That puts the conference to 14 schools, 11 that play football. Wonder how the conference will be split?

slycat
May 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A&M-CC is non-football.

I like your split. Though Lamar and ORU could be switched. They could partner with UCA. Lamar is unique in that they fit well with both Texas and Louisiana schools.

slycat
May 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Or just add ACU to get to 12 and 10 football.

BEAR
May 24th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I may be only one of a few but I love the fact that the SLC is adding Oral Roberts University. What a regionally known school to be associated with for our conference! When we were NAIA and even division II, all I heard about was ORU baseball. Nice to have that kind of school history to add to the SLC. xthumbsupx

BEAR
May 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM
ACU vs. UCA...how many nicknames for that game can be made up? xlolx

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM
No interest from former D-I member Oklahoma City?

dgreco
May 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM
No interest from former D-I member Oklahoma City?

I believe they made a push in the early 2000's but never followed through. They definitely have some DI facilities. I am surprised they haven't moved to at least DII by now.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 24th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Could you envision a downgraded New Mexico State in that Southland conference?

Sammy94
May 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM
There has been talk of NMSU moving down but I don't see that happening. Texas A&M Kingsville has also been discussed which would add another football school.

MplsBison
May 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I don't believe any of these schools would tip a cross-over with the Sun Belt to the Southland's favor.

I could see SHSU, McNeese and UCA winning games, the rest probably not.

FormerPokeCenter
May 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'd like to see Abilene Christian in the mix....but...purely for selfish reasons....my old college roommate has a kid who's a freshman at Abilene Christian this year...it would be cool to get to see him play in Cowboy Stadium, where his Dad played ;)

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I may be only one of a few but I love the fact that the SLC is adding Oral Roberts University. What a regionally known school to be associated with for our conference! When we were NAIA and even division II, all I heard about was ORU baseball. Nice to have that kind of school history to add to the SLC. xthumbsupx

Much to the chagrin of us Summit League members....:(

dgtw
May 25th, 2012, 05:00 PM

You aren't theophobic about ORU like others are about Liberty?

RabidRabbit
May 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM

Baseball and getting away from going north for sports was a huge driver for Golden Eagles. I would contend that in most sports that joining the Southland was a step down for the Eagles from the the Summit.xtwocentsx

darell1976
May 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
There has been talk of NMSU moving down but I don't see that happening. Texas A&M Kingsville has also been discussed which would add another football school.

They were a pretty tough team in DII, we played them last in 2008...I wonder why they never decided to move up. I still remember the 67-44 thumping they gave us in 1986. Back then they were Texas A&I and had the late NFL star Johnny Bailey in the backfield.

Sly Fox
May 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Former Philadelphia Eagle Heath Sherman was Johnny's blocking back. The Javelinas have sent a ton of talent to the NFL over the years.

BEAR
May 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Baseball and getting away from going north for sports was a huge driver for Golden Eagles. I would contend that in most sports that joining the Southland was a step down for the Eagles from the the Summit.xtwocentsx

I look at it this way. ORU brings history and talent in baseball and basketball to the Southland. That only improves the Southland even if it is....a step down from the Summit in your opinion.

Catatonic
August 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
http://www.nola.com/uno/index.ssf/2012/08/southland_conference_board_of.html

News reports say the Southland Board of Directors meet tomorrow via teleconference to vote on the three schools visited over the summer--UNO, Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian.

Any predictions on the outcome?

TheRevSFA
August 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
All 3 get in, UNO doesn't sponsor football

McTailGator
August 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.nola.com/uno/index.ssf/2012/08/southland_conference_board_of.html

Any predictions on the outcome?

They might all get in...

wr70beh
August 15th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I thought UNO was trying to drop down to D-II. Did they give up on that plan? I see that they announced a $12 million reduction to their already small budget (http://www.fox8live.com/story/19278035/uno-initiates-12-million-budget-reduction-plan). I didn't even think that college was going to last after getting ravaged by Katrina. They only sponsor 9 sports!

McCowboys
August 15th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I believe after UNO had decided to move down (I think originally they were going to Div. III), they got a new president and decided to stay division I. I believe they have just added track and field (men's and women's) to bring up the total number of sports. I don't know if they added cross country or not. They have club football, I believe, and a football team down the road is not totally out of the question. UNO also recently hired a new athletic director who, even before his term actually began, was there for all the meetings with the SLC as they investigated UNO for membership.

BluBengal07
August 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
it's crazy how fast UIW is making moves for such a young program.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
it's crazy how fast UIW is making moves for such a young program.

Maybe Trinity (SLC charter member) needs to give the Pioneer a call. They could probably hang with them.

slycat
August 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/Southland-will-bring-UIW-aboard-3797439.php

UIW is in. Looks like other two will get invites this week. ACU is the best of the bunch, good luck to them.

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Anyone checked if former Division I-ers Hardin Simmons or West Texas State (A&M) are interested down the road?

chrisattsu
August 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone checked if former Division I-ers Hardin Simmons or West Texas State (A&M) are interested down the road?

Hardened Sinners, McMurry, and Abilene Christian are all in the same city. McMurry just moved up to D2 and I would guess they are closer to FCS than HSU.

WT has the facilities, market, and history to be successful, but they have gone on record to say they want to be like Grand Valley State (a Montana of D2 if you will).

However, with ACU moving up, there is no telling how many West Texas (region) schools might be interested in following them.

Laker
August 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
http://acusports.com/news/2012/8/20/FB_0820121920.aspx?path=baseball

ACU says that they have been invited and will announce their decision Saturday. Meanwhile, Incarnate Word has a press conference on it today at 2 CDT- complete with refreshment! So they must be in too. No word if UNOrleans is in or not.

Catatonic
August 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Trying to learn the culture of the SLC: Do the Louisiana schools serve corndogs at tailgates like their LSU big brother? :)

Seriously, I will miss the Lone Star Conference but look forward to new or renewed rivalries with SLC schools.

chrisattsu
August 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Trying to learn the culture of the SLC: Do the Louisiana schools serve corndogs at tailgates like their LSU big brother? :)

Seriously, I will miss the Lone Star Conference but look forward to new or renewed rivalries with SLC schools.

The Louisiana schools that have come to San Marcos have had things like Boudin and gumbo during the later months.

Sam, Lamar, and SFA fans were your traditional Texas food (brisket sausage).

I will miss having ACU in the conference. The proximity made for a great rivalry and roadtrip

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
The Louisiana schools that have come to San Marcos have had things like Boudin and gumbo during the later months.

Sam, Lamar, and SFA fans were your traditional Texas food (brisket sausage).

I will miss having ACU in the conference. The proximity made for a great rivalry and roadtrip

Uh, sir..my tailgate menu varies...but the beer is always cold.

Sam_Kats
August 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I guess we break the mold too, ACU. I usually do some chicken/beef fajitas & shrimp brochette. Regardless, welcome to the Southland!

katstrapper
August 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I think the SLC is making this move because of the all the talk of more of SLC schools moving up to FBS. I like the addition of ACU. Would like to have seen maybe Tarleton State or West Texas A&M being courted. Both have solid Athletic programs INCLUDING FOOTBALL!!

Not excited about HBU, Oral Roberts or UNO.

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I think the SLC is making this move because of the all the talk of more of SLC schools moving up to FBS. I like the addition of ACU. Would like to have seen maybe Tarleton State or West Texas A&M being courted. Both have solid Athletic programs INCLUDING FOOTBALL!!

Not excited about HBU, Oral Roberts or UNO.

Oral Bob helped increase the SLC's RPI in Basketball and Baseball...they are a great addition.

lionsrking2
August 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Oral Bob helped increase the SLC's RPI in Basketball and Baseball...they are a great addition.

I agree with this ... ORU is a great addition to the league IMO ... ditto for Abilene Christian.

Not overly excited about Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist or UNO, but at least UIW has Tom Benson money behind them and I expect they'll ramp things up fairly quickly once they're Division I ... don't see the same happening at Houston Baptist and UNO is what it is.

chrisattsu
August 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Uh, sir..my tailgate menu varies...but the beer is always cold.

Rev, I have no doubts. I hope you are bringing your tailgate to San Marcos this year

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Rev, I have no doubts. I hope you are bringing your tailgate to San Marcos this year

Lumberjackfans will be there. Feel free to join us

dgtw
August 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM
So how many members does this give the Southland now? With the three newcomers and Houston Baptist on the way, that makes 14 total and 12 in football?

McTailGator
August 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
So how many members does this give the Southland now? With the three newcomers and Houston Baptist on the way, that makes 14 total and 12 in football?

SLC WEST (AKA SAINTS CONFERENCE)

ORAL ROBERTS
INCARNATE WORD *
ABILENE CHRISTIAN *
HOUSTON BAPTIST *
SFA *
SHSU *
TEXAS A&M - Corpus Christi (Latin: Body of Christ)

SLC EAST (AKA SINNERS CONFERENCE)

UCA *
NORTHWESTERN *
MCNEESE *
NICHOLLS ST *
SOUTHEASTERN LA *
UNO
LAMAR*

*11 Football Schools (TOO MANY)

dgtw
August 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I believe after UNO had decided to move down (I think originally they were going to Div. III), they got a new president and decided to stay division I. I believe they have just added track and field (men's and women's) to bring up the total number of sports. I don't know if they added cross country or not. They have club football, I believe, and a football team down the road is not totally out of the question. UNO also recently hired a new athletic director who, even before his term actually began, was there for all the meetings with the SLC as they investigated UNO for membership.

According to their website, they sponsor six sports for each gender. Baseball for dudes, volleyball for the chicks and track, cross country, golf and tennis for both. I suppose they do both indoor and outdoor track, so that would be 14.

They had planned to join the DII Gulf South Conference but decided not to. They have said they want to start football.

I agree 11 or 12 is too many for an FCS league seeing as how you can't have a playoff title game.

River
August 20th, 2012, 08:51 PM
ACU is a nice pick up. They will preform well in football and track. Every other sport they have not preformed that well the past few years. Also, how is recruiting going to be for the next 4 years when they are not allowed to play for a conference championship?

IWU is another story. Bad at just about everything. Womens basketball had a decent year last year. Nice new football stadium, but not better than most 2A or 3A high schools, basketball and volleyball gym is a joke, baseball field is ok. Parking for all sporting events is so limited. Football has a out 3500 at games, but that will go down to next to nothing when games get out of hand the next few years. For basketball games they have more cheerleaders then fans. IWU is in for a long long journey in every single sport. This move is strictly ego driven.

Catatonic
August 21st, 2012, 07:48 AM
ACU is a nice pick up. They will preform well in football and track. Every other sport they have not preformed that well the past few years. Also, how is recruiting going to be for the next 4 years when they are not allowed to play for a conference championship?

IWU is another story. Bad at just about everything. Womens basketball had a decent year last year. Nice new football stadium, but not better than most 2A or 3A high schools, basketball and volleyball gym is a joke, baseball field is ok. Parking for all sporting events is so limited. Football has a out 3500 at games, but that will go down to next to nothing when games get out of hand the next few years. For basketball games they have more cheerleaders then fans. IWU is in for a long long journey in every single sport. This move is strictly ego driven.

Slight disagreement. ACU Mens and Womens Tennis, Golf, Soccer, baseball and softball teams have all done well in the past few years. M&W basketball, not so much. To be brutally honest, we have sucked in BB. But you are right, track has been our claim to fame. 50-plus Mens and womens NCAA D2 championships in outdoor/indoor track. Lots of recent success in football, as well. Regulars in the D2 play offs the past few years.

The NCAA rule that prohibits playing for league championships or playoffs for five years will hurt recruiting. This will present a real handicap I imagine. Be gentle.

katstrapper
August 21st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Big Sky has 13 football playing schools and it appears to work out for them every year. The additions of UNO, UIW, Oral Roberts, HBU and ACU dont excite me at all for the future of the Southland.

As far as football playing programs, ACU is the only solid program out of UIW, HBU (who doesnt have a football team yet) and ACU. Future football schedules dont turn my head. I think the commissioner was/is pulling straws and is just being reactive.

DFW HOYA
August 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM

Could UIW play at Alamo Stadium for select games? Only one exit down US 281.

McTailGator
August 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM
HEY ACU>>>

So now that you guys appear to be going D-I, will someone be opening up an unofficial sports fans forum like all the SLC teams have? Would be nice to pop in on you guys from time to time and check on your progress to the SLC.

Catatonic
August 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
HEY ACU>>>

So now that you guys appear to be going D-I, will someone be opening up an unofficial sports fans forum like all the SLC teams have? Would be nice to pop in on you guys from time to time and check on your progress to the SLC.

Prolly not until our Trustees approve the move. A vote is scheduled Saturday. After that? I hope so.

McTailGator
August 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Remember, it has to be fan based and not associated with the school. that is why you see UN-OFFICIAL on all the D-I forums. They are fan run.