PDA

View Full Version : UC chancellor admits OVC talks (T-FP)

chattanoogamocs
June 21st, 2006, 03:06 AM
Remember how I said just last week that the reason why the SoCon might be holding off until November to decide on conference expansion was because they wanted to see what UC was going to do (once and for all)?

Well...

UC Chancellor admits OVC talks (Times-Free Press)
http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm9.showMessage?topicID=482.topic

This ought to liven up the summer a bit in Chattanooga (pro and con)

thirdgendin
June 21st, 2006, 04:06 AM
Very Interesting indeed. This may help out Samford, if they want into the SoCon. That may be the conference's move if it really wants to hold onto Chattanooga.

walliver
June 21st, 2006, 06:56 AM
If Chattanooga leaves (I hope not), would that make the SoCon less attractive to Samford (or Jacksonville State, for that matter)? If so, it would be hard to find TWO new football schools to bring the conference back up to 9 football schools.

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM
Very interesting. Chattanooga's departure would make the SoCon less interesting to JSU and Samford, but I think the JSU fans (at least the SoCon supporting ones) have made it clear they want the SoCon for football not because of UC.

An interesting possibility, UC moves to the OVC and JSU (and then Samford because of JSU ) moves to the SoCon. xlolx xlolx I know, I know not going to happen. Well it might.

Wally, I agree I would hate to see UC go but I don't think UC leaving should be looked at as terrible thing. It makes sense for UC to join the OVC.

On the other other hand, the SoCon needs to figure out what is going on amd make some moves. :nod:

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 08:08 AM
If UC joins the OVC, I don't see Samford or us leaving. I would think that JSU and Samford are leading the fight to after UC.

If UC left the SOCON and either JSU or Samford joined the SOCON the closest school would be Furman which is 3.5 to 4 hours for JSU and 4.5 to 5 for Samford.

It maybe that UC will stay in the SOCON if JSU and Samford are offered membership in the SOCON.

If UC leaves, wouldn't that leave GSU as the only non-Carolina School?

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 08:14 AM
If UC joins the OVC, I don't see Samford or us leaving. I would think that JSU and Samford are leading the fight to after UC.

If UC left the SOCON and either JSU or Samford joined the SOCON the closest school would be Furman which is 3.5 to 4 hours for JSU and 4.5 to 5 for Samford.

It maybe that UC will stay in the SOCON if JSU and Samford are offered membership in the SOCON.

If UC leaves, wouldn't that leave GSU as the only non-Carolina School?

I agree. My comment before was made for the potential irony not to potentially happening.

GSU would be the only non-Carolina school but for the Eagles that should only be a problem with labels not geographics. Statesboro is relatively close to Charleston where two SoCon schools reside and as far as other I-AA schools are concerned, there are not any of significance in a close proximity to the Eagles.

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
I agree. My comment before was made for the potential irony not to potentially happening.

GSU would be the only non-Carolina school but for the Eagles that should only be a problem with labels not geographics. Statesboro is relatively close to Charleston where two SoCon schools reside and as far as other I-AA schools are concerned, there are not any of significance in a close proximity to the Eagles.

If UC moved the OVC, CAA, MEAC, or stay in the SOCON or the only I-AA choices. The SOCON would probably win in the geographic area (I don't have time to do offical measuring).

Does the OVC also invite ETSU if they add football?

Now if GSU or App go I-A things could really get to shaking out.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
As the OVC stands now with APSU and UT Martin? I say EKU needs to move! Bring in UC and GSU and forget Austin Peay and send UT Martin packing, then the OVC would be more attractive to EKU fans. The OVC is just not the conference it once was and IF there was ANY possiblility of bringing in UC and GSU ( a really LONG shot I know) I would be one happy camper! This is only my opinion, but the OVC has not increased its position any with APSU (and UT Martin).

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
then the OVC would be more attractive to EKU fans. The OVC is just not the conference it once was
Honest/ironic question.... isn't the main reason that the OVC isn't the conference it once was the fact that EKU isn't the team they once were? I know some good teams have spent some time in the OVC such as YSU and WKU, but they didn't really have their success while an OVC member. As a member of the OVC YSU had only one trip to the playoffs in which they lost in the first round. WKU was only a member for two years.

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM
As the OVC stands now with APSU and UT Martin? I say EKU needs to move! Bring in UC and GSU and forget Austin Peay and send UT Martin packing, then the OVC would be more attractive to EKU fans. The OVC is just not the conference it once was and IF there was ANY possiblility of bringing in UC and GSU ( a really LONG shot I know) I would be one happy camper! This is only my opinion, but the OVC has not increased its position any with APSU (and UT Martin).

I will speak for the Eagles, GSU is not going to the OVC. Chatt, maybe . GSU, NOPE.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Honest/ironic question.... isn't the main reason that the OVC isn't the conference it once was the fact that EKU isn't the team they once were? I know some good teams have spent some time in the OVC such as YSU and WKU, but they didn't really have their success while an OVC member. As a member of the OVC YSU had only one trip to the playoffs in which they lost in the first round. WKU was only a member for two years.

Absoulutely, that is the question. First of all we have hung around in the second place position for far too many seasons! Not winning the OVC by losing one game to whoever, and finishing in 2nd place far too many times. Why? If I had the answer I would be the coach and could fix the problem. I am just saying that OVC is not attractive to "many" EKU fans. Are we playing to the mediocrity of our opponents? That is possibly part of the problem. I think it is more complex than that. Just as my rationale of not liking the OVC is not just one reason. Our biggest rival? wku. GONE! MTSU, another great football rivalry. GONE! Who wants to make a road trip to UT Martin? APSU coming back for football? What do they add? EKU had beaten AP 20 out of the last 20 times they had met, prior to them leaving the conference in football. Respect for the OVC? None. I could go on! I don't like the OVC as it is now, wish we would get out and I'm not apologizing for it.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
I will speak for the Eagles, GSU is not going to the OVC. Chatt, maybe . GSU, NOPE.

I don't blame them one little bit! Just wishful thinking on my part!

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM

While I'm not totally happy with the OVC, it appears they are trying to make good moves. The addition of Samford and JSU has raised the athletic level in the OVC. JSU has won several championships in their 3 years and Samford has won some too. IMO, JSU has raised the football bar (not high enough) and EKU and others are starting to demanded more from their programs. AP will be kept because of basketball and baseball. I'm not sure of Martins good sides. Just remember the Commissioner and the ADs have to lookout for the good of all sports not just football.

If EKU, EIU, and JSU can win some OOC games this year we maybe on the comeback.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
While I'm not totally happy with the OVC, it appears they are trying to make good moves. The addition of Samford and JSU has raised the athletic level in the OVC. JSU has won several championships in their 3 years and Samford has won some too. IMO, JSU has raised the football bar (not high enough) and EKU and others are starting to demanded more from their programs. AP will be kept because of basketball and baseball. I'm not sure of Martins good sides. Just remember the Commissioner and the ADs have to lookout for the good of all sports not just football.

If EKU, EIU, and JSU can win some OOC games this year we maybe on the comeback.

Well, my opinion is based on the fact that EKU has been a member of the OVC since its beginning and most of our rivals have moved on (and up). No offense intended against JSU and Samford, but we have not improved our status at all. While EKU fans are not satisfied with taking 2nd or 3rd place in any sport, we have won the men's all sports trophy the last 2 years (and maybe the year before that, can't remember). You are mistaken in your implication that EKU recently is demanding more for their sports programs, football and basketball has always been HIGH on the prority list for EKU fans. We just had overcome 10+ years of a president who tried kill football (and any other sport he could destroy) at EKU.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
I think the OVC is a conference on the rise, and UC is a good fit.

UT-Martin is finally making a firm commitment to football. Austin Peay is committed to bringing back FULL scholarship football. Murray State is committing new resources/money to football, to go along with the good basketball. Adding UC would only enhance OVC football.

Maroons
June 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM
I'm an EKU fan... and while I regret that MTSU has moved out of I-AA and that WKU is no longer in the conference, we do still get to play the Toppers. Furthermore, I'm not sure what else we could do. I don't see EKU in a position to take advantage of any options better than the OVC.

1) The OVC makes the most sense geographically. There isn't an NCAA conference at any level that makes more geographic sense for the Colonels. Maybe the Gateway is an option, but it would mean a lot more traveling, and then where do the others sports go?
2) EKU hasn't exactly been cleaning the conference house. Our premier sport hasn't won a conference title since 1997. As much trash as we want to talk about the new additions or the Tennessee schools, we haven't made a case that we're substantially superior. Our "All-Sports Trophies" have been won on the strength of Cross Country & Golf with help from Baseball and Football. We haven't made a statement that we're a dominant program looking for a new home, in my opinion.
3) The OVC isn't as bad as it was in the early 2000s. This excuse that the weakness of the conference is the reason no one is ready for the playoffs is pretty hypocritical of us. We haven't won it a decade! It's obviously not too weak for us! The OVC didn't diminish EKU athletics, EKU diminished EKU athletics.

But anyways... back to the point at hand. Generally, I'd be opposed to adding another Tennessee school a la ETSU. But Chattanooga brings a lot to the conference:
1) A great football facility and a quality football program.
2) A closer OVC school than any of the most recent additions.
3) A great city to visit (unlike say, Morehead, Martin, Cookevile, Charleston, IL)
4) A school with a similiar athletic committment.

I hope the Mocs get to join. I'd enjoy driving down 75 once every two years to watch a football game within a reasonable distance of Richmond.

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
I think the OVC is a conference on the rise
In what way?

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
I think the OVC is a conference on the rise, and UC is a good fit.

UT-Martin is finally making a firm commitment to football. Austin Peay is committed to bringing back FULL scholarship football. Murray State is committing new resources/money to football, to go along with the good basketball. Adding UC would only enhance OVC football.

I think UC fits very well into this basketball conference:eek: :o :)

Maroons
June 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
From Chattanooga's perspective, leaving the SoCon does weaken the football schedule considerably. But consider all of the other advantages:
1) 4 In-State Rivals (TSU, TTU, APSU, UT-Martin)
2) An easier road to the I-AA playoffs
3) Greater proximity to other schools.
4) Gives the OVC 12 schools for most sports, allowing Basketball, for instance, to split into divisions and further contain travel costs.

I have to think they are interested. And I certainly hope they are.

Psychored
June 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
WKU was only a member for two years.

Uh, not quite! Western Kentucky was a charter member of the OVC, spending 35 years in the conference before going independent in 1982. The Toppers won 9 Conference championships during their time in the OVC.:bow:

Maroons
June 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
WKU was in the OVC for football as recently as 1998, I believe. Did they remain the conference for football since the founding or was there some coming and going?

Just FYI... from a previous post... to clear up some confusion...

The OVC is the nation's 8th oldest conference and was founded in 1948 by the following members:

Eastern Kentucky University (1948-Present)
Evansville (1948-1952)
Louisville (1948-1949)
Morehead State (1948-Present)
Murray State (1948-Present)
Western Kentucky University (1948-1982)

People have been coming and going ever since, mostly from Tennessee:
Marshall (1949-1952)
Tennessee Tech (1949-Present)
Middle Tennessee (1953-2000)
East Tennessee (1957-1978)
Austin Peay (1963-Present)
Akron (1980-1987)
Youngstown St. (1981-1988)
Tennessee St. (1987-Present)
Southeast Missouri (1991-Present)
Tennessee-Martin (1992-Present)
Eastern Illinois (1996-Present)
Jacksonville State (2003-Present)
Samford (2003-Present)

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM

WKU made a return to the OVC in football only for a brief period (the conference asked them to join in all sports or leave at that time). However, WKU was a charter and long-time member of the OVC prior to leaving for the Sun Belt in the first place.

mainejeff
June 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM
What about Coastal Carolina and Hampton to the Southern?

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
From Chattanooga's perspective, leaving the SoCon does weaken the football schedule considerably. But consider all of the other advantages:
1) 4 In-State Rivals (TSU, TTU, APSU, UT-Martin)
2) An easier road to the I-AA playoffs
3) Greater proximity to other schools.
4) Gives the OVC 12 schools for most sports, allowing Basketball, for instance, to split into divisions and further contain travel costs.

I have to think they are interested. And I certainly hope they are.

I believe I have said this before but just to clarify. I hope Chattanooga does not leave, but I agree the positives outweighed the negatives.

The only real negative is if UC is going to attempt to upgrade football for a run at the NC. Playing in a weaker conference is not the place to be if that is a goal. Not that it cannot be done it is just more difficult. Everything else including geography, potential rivalries and other sports points to UC moving to the OVC.

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
The OVC has a long way to come back to what it was, but I think we have 3 legit top 25 teams this year...which is a start.

As for EKU...I think we're on the same track. This may very well be the best offense EKU has EVER put on the field, and the defense is always above average. It also won't hurt our bid to reclaim the OVC title that Eastern Illinois and Jacksonville State both have to visit Richmond this year.

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Uh, not quite! Western Kentucky was a charter member of the OVC, spending 35 years in the conference before going independent in 1982. The Toppers won 9 Conference championships during their time in the OVC.:bow:
I did miss that they started I-AA in the OVC but WKU never made the playoffs from the OVC 1978-1982.

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
OVC football may not be a negative for UTC. In the OVC they might be able to win a few more Auto-bids, and recruits love seeing teams in the post season. The OVC is not a strong conference right now, but you can still build a contender there.

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM
OVC football may not be a negative for UTC. In the OVC they might be able to win a few more Auto-bids, and recruits love seeing teams in the post season. The OVC is not a strong conference right now, but you can still build a contender there.

I understand and don't disagree. But I think looking at national champions over the years, it is easier to win it or even get there if you are from a stronger conference.

But yes, being in the OVC could benefit UC's football as well.

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM
What about Coastal Carolina and Hampton to the Southern?

Personally, I would love both SC State and Hampton in the SoCon. But I cannot see either leaving the MEAC unless the MEAC does something like opt out of the playoffs.

I hesitate to bring CCU into the conversation or we will have another 20 page thread moving to the smack board:eek:

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
In what way?

As stated in the rest of my post - UT-Martin's adding football scholarships, Austin-Peay going to full scholarship, Murray looking to upgrade (as evidenced by the coaching hire).

Of course, it could be argued that the OVC only has one way to go.

Mr. C
June 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
I believe that moving to the OVC would be a disaster for Chattanooga. If you can't compete for a title in the SoCon, the Mocs are not going to put themselves in a position to win a national title. They might find an easier route to the playoffs in the OVC, but it isn't going to help with recruiting, or much of anything else. I don't see much positive for the OVC to offer UTC, other than to cut a bit of travel costs. If UTC makes this move, it will be something they regret someday.

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
As stated in the rest of my post - UT-Martin's adding football scholarships, Austin-Peay going to full scholarship, Murray looking to upgrade (as evidenced by the coaching hire).
Fair enough, but we don't know if any of that will improve anything. There are a lot of teams that have been at full scholarship levels for years and they still stink.

As for Murray, they've had a slew of impressive coaches over the years (Frank Beamer, Houston Nutt, Ron Zook, Ralph Friedgen...). Griffin may turn out to be a great coach, but right now he's a guy with one HC position under his belt who's greatest achievement is going 4-4 in the OVC. He was a solid hire, but it's not like they hired Pete Carroll away from USC.

Ken_Z
June 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Personally, I would love both SC State and Hampton in the SoCon. But I cannot see either leaving the MEAC unless the MEAC does something like opt out of the playoffs.

i thought i heard Hampton had indicated real interest in moving into a higher level conference for all sports.

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
In what way?

We have 3 teams getting votes in the AGS poll.

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
We have 3 teams getting votes in the AGS poll.
The old norm for the OVC was three teams in the poll or rankings, not just receiving votes. :twocents:

2000 (GPI)
6. Western Kentucky
15. Eastern Illinois
16. Tennessee Tech

2001 (Poll)
3. Eastern Illinois
18. Eastern Kentucky
23. Tennessee Tech
Receiving votes. Tennessee State

6. Eastern Illinois
18. Eastern Kentucky
22. Southeast Missouri State
24. Murray State

OL FU
June 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
i thought i heard Hampton had indicated real interest in moving into a higher level conference for all sports.

I have heard that Hampton had SoCon interest but I am not sure when that interest existed. Prior to MEAC or after, I don't know.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM
I did miss that they started I-AA in the OVC but WKU never made the playoffs from the OVC 1978-1982.

And The Reason for that was::hurray:

1979: EKU IAA National Champs
1980: EKU IAA Runner Up
1981: EKU IAA Runner UP
1982: EKU IAA National Champs

Not that this makes any difference in how our program is viewed now. I still say I would like to see us move out of the OVC. There are more EKU fans out there than just me who feel this way, they just aren't on this Board. I, for one, am NOT satisfied with the OVC. Look at what our sister school and rival, wku, is doing and we happy to stay with the staus quo? Not me!

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
And The Reason for that was::hurray:

Not that this makes any difference in how our program is viewed now. I still say I would like to see us move out of the OVC. There are more EKU fans out there than just me who feel this way, they just aren't on this Board. I, for one, am NOT satisfied with the OVC. Look at what our sister school and rival, wku, is doing and we happy to stay with the staus quo? Not me!

And you think you would have more luck in SoCon?

Sun Belt is full, so that is out.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM

I don't know that for sure, I do think just as we will continue to improve all of our programs under the University President we now have and with finally a full time athletic director, we will be fine. It is not a question of success, because I think we will be successful in what ever conference we participate in. I will say this one more time, I don't like the OVC and unless the OVC makes some major waves in the next couple of years, it will still be what it is today. A conference that no one wants unless they are moving from DII or shopping for another one because of dissatisfaction with the one they are current members of. Just ask wku if they are interested in coming back?

89Hen
June 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM

Not that this makes any difference in how our program is viewed now
I disagree. Find the thread of top 10 most successful I-AA programs and you'll still see EKU on that list. That's due to the early success.

Mr. C
June 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
I have heard that Hampton had SoCon interest but I am not sure when that interest existed. Prior to MEAC or after, I don't know.
Hampton has had talks in times past with the SoCon about the possibility of moving. Don't know how serious those talks have ever been. I think it was more interest on Hampton's part. I too think Hampton and South Carolina State have a lot to offer.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM

I don't know that for sure, I do think just as we will continue to improve all of our programs under the University President we now have and with finally a full time athletic director, we will be fine. It is not a question of success, because I think we will be successful in what ever conference we participate in. I will say this one more time, I don't like the OVC and unless the OVC makes some major waves in the next couple of years, it will still be what it is today. A conference that no one wants unless they are moving from DII or shopping for another one because of dissatisfaction with the one they are current members of. Just ask wku if they are intersted in coming back?

I wouldn't use WKU as a guide - half their fans think they should be in the Big 10 or SEC...:rolleyes:

And I really don't agree with your characterization of the OVC as a place for DII members moving up, or people just holding until they find a better place. JSU and Samford joined - after their probation was over. Same with SEMO. No different than the SoCon, who actually has taken more recent DII members than the OVC. The rest of the conference has been stable. Other than MTSU (D-I move up) and WKU, no member has left the conference since YSU did in 1988.

chattanoogamocs
June 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
I believe that moving to the OVC would be a disaster for Chattanooga. If you can't compete for a title in the SoCon, the Mocs are not going to put themselves in a position to win a national title. They might find an easier route to the playoffs in the OVC, but it isn't going to help with recruiting, or much of anything else. I don't see much positive for the OVC to offer UTC, other than to cut a bit of travel costs. If UTC makes this move, it will be something they regret someday.

If you just looked at the move for one sport, I would agree with you...but UC has 17 sports to worry about, not just football.

I am a huge supporter of football, but this is a basketball school first (men's and women's) and it has been for 25 years...and in basketball, the OVC has numerous advantages over the SoCon...most notably, the OVC basketball tournament is only 2 hours away in Nashville, as opposed to Mocfans annual 7 to 8 hour trek to a Charleston (we would easily have 3 or 4 times more fans attend Nashville).

...and from a standpoint of our Olympic sports, every dollar not spent on travel, is a dollar spent towards recruiting, coaches salary, etc (because of budget concerns, our soccer and volleyball teams barely leave the State of Tennessee to begin with...basically, the just leave the State for SoCon matches)

...and finally, one of the biggest non-financial issues that face the AD (at any school) is grades and missed class time...which is always an issue in a bus league when a 1/3 of the conference is more than 7 hours each way (and that is without expansion mentioned schools like CCU, VMI, UNCW)...in the OVC, about half the teams we would play, the Mocs could be back in their own beds by about 1am...instead of coming in at 5 or 6am...and still expected to be at class a couple of hours later (non football)

I am happy in the SoCon...I would be happier with the OVC...I will be happy with which ever way the school decides to go...but I would also love to be able to drive less than 3 hours to 5 or 6 schools in the OVC...as of now, there isn't a single school in the SoCon I can say that about (WCU is the closest and right 3.5-4 hours).

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
I disagree. Find the thread of top 10 most successful I-AA programs and you'll still see EKU on that list. That's due to the early success.

Well, hallelujah! :hurray:
Some one recognizes EKU's accomplishments and doesn't say we are living in the past! THANK YOU!!:nod:

I wouldn't use WKU as a guide - half their fans think they should be in the Big 10 or SEC...:rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth!xlolx

GO EASTERN! WHIP western!

Maroons
June 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'd just like to know where you would have us go. Sure, the OVC is no bed of roses... but what choices do we have? And furthermore, most of the recent additions have been positives, in my opinion. EIU, JaxSt and Samford are all competetive and I am glad they joined.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'd just like to know where you would have us go. Sure, the OVC is no bed of roses... but what choices do we have? And furthermore, most of the recent additions have been positives, in my opinion. EIU, JaxSt and Samford are all competetive and I am glad they joined.

Maroons,

I don't understand why you are so defensive regarding this. IF you are in Richmond and around EKU, you surely know there are those who want EKU out of the OVC. As far as where at this particular time? There isn't an easy answer to this and this will be the problem IF we ever do decide to get out. I am sorry, you are so offended by my desire to get out of the OVC, but if MTSU and wku can move on so can we (BTW, they weren't winning the OVC every year when they left). I am just one LONG time EKU fan and I don't see us improving our lot at all. This is not an indictment against JSU, EIU or Samford, it is an EKU fan who is still suffering over the departure of MTSU and wku. It will never be the same for those of us fans who were around back in the heyday of the OVC. Look where all of the teams have gone that we not only competed with, but beat on a regular basis. Besides MTSU and wku, how about a few of these: Marshall, Central Florida, Troy, Akron, Youngstown, get the picture?:bang: You can say get over it, but on the other hand I say it is time for us to consider moving on also.

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Maroons,

I don't understand why you are so defensive regarding this. IF you are in Richmond and around EKU, you surely know there are those who want EKU out of the OVC. As far as where at this particular time? There isn't an easy answer to this and this will be the problem IF we ever do decide to get out. I am sorry, you are so offended by my desire to get out of the OVC, but if MTSU and wku can move on so can we (BTW, they weren't winning the OVC every year when they left). I am just one LONG time EKU fan and I don't see us improving our lot at all. This is not an indictment against JSU, EIU or Samford, it is an EKU fan who is still suffering over the departure of MTSU and wku. It will never be the same for those of us fans who were around back in the heyday of the OVC. Look where all of the teams have gone that we not only competed with, but beat on a regular basis. Besides MTSU and wku, how about a few of these: Marshall, Central Florida, Troy, Akron, Youngstown, get the picture?:bang: You can say get over it, but on the other hand I say it is time for us to consider moving on also.

Your not wanting the SOCON or the Gateway your wanting I-A.

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Maroons,

I think you are reminiscing over something that you will never be able to re-create.
Marshall, UCF, Troy, Akron and Youngstown were ephemerial members of the OVC, and were never the core - flitting in and out.
5 of those schools are now I-A in football, and all are scattered over the MAC, SunBelt, Gateway, and Horizon leagues. Are you saying the only way to make you happy is for EKU to go I-A, and try to get into the Sunbelt with MTSU/WKU (except football) and Troy?

WKU fans seem mostly unhappy with their current arrangement - football in Gateway, rest of sports in a Sunbelt, a conference that last year was rated worse in Basketball than the OVC, and is getting weaker with the admission next season of two of the bottom 10% of D-I schools, UL-M and FAU.

And MTSU has never been able to re-create the OVC feeling either, their fans don't seem to want to come and watch FAU, Troy, FIU, UNT, etc.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
First of all Troy and UCF were not ever members of the OVC, and Marshall was only a member back before I was going to EKU games, however they all were teams we were playing and BEATING 15 years ago! My point is this. We have stayed in the OVC and have not improved our program or our stature in IAA one iota! Again who wants to go to UT Martin or APSU for a football game? Although wku is a bitter rival, their fans will know exactly what I am talking about!

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
First of all Troy and UCF were not ever members of the OVC, and Marshall was only a memeber back before I was going to EKU games, however they all were teams we were playing and BEATING 15 years ago! My point is this. We have stayed in the OVC and have not improved our program or our stature in IAA one iota! Again who wants to go to UT Martin or APSU for a football game? Although wku is a bitter rival, their fans will know exactly what I am talking about!

And going to Troy or Akron is desirable??

Instead of bellyaching, what is your solution? Going to I-A Sunbelt?

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM

So, are you in favor of moving your team to the OVC?

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM
So, are you in favor of moving your team to the OVC?

Beings that would be a LONG way away, no.

And since the Big Sky is better in football, and basketball than the OVC (and better than the Southern and Sunbelt in basketball) - no.

But, I have a lot of ties to OVC teams (Murray, EKU, EIU, TT), and don't find it nearly as offensive as you do.

I guess you could try to join the Big Sky...... ;)

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM

I've been to Troy and Clarksville. Give me Clarksville any day. Never been to Akron but I'm sure it's better than Troy. Troy does play better football than AP, though.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM
It's the whole picture, I don't expect you to go back and read all my posts on this, but as I said earlier today there are many reasons. Going to Martin, TN and the high school field that APSU has is just the straw that breaks the camels back.

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM
I would love to see the OVC move up the I-AA latter, too. EKU is the only team in our league with the history in I-AA to lead that move. When JSU entered the OVC EKU was one of the few schools I any knowledge of. This was because of their football success. Their are not a lot of options for EKU in the I-AA world. The SOCON is a great deal of traveling as would be the Gate or CAA. The most logical choice if leaving the OVC would be to join the MAC.

Things are not perfect in the OVC but if the commissioner can get UC it would be a great move. The only other logical schools would be ETSU and WKU that are playing I-AA or might be playing.

Cocky
June 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
It's the whole picture, I don't expect you to go back and read all my posts on this, but as I said earlier today there are many reasons. Going to Martin, TN and the high school field that APSU has is just the straw that breaks the camels back.

If Austin Peay is so bad why do the Titans have summer camp there?

dbackjon
June 21st, 2006, 06:45 PM

This summer will be the first time. And APSU has put in a brand new field season before last.

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 07:02 PM

I have not been there since they left IAA scholarship football, but at one time many HS stadiums were as good as theirs.

Maroons
June 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't say I'm especially defensive... I just don't see a better option and I'm curious where you would want us to go.

MAC-I want Eastern football to keep playing for championships, which means I-AA. No matter how high we may rise, we won't get to play for a I-A title. So, no MAC. Plus, it's a long way and I don't care about Buffalo, Directional Michigan, Akron, Toledo or the others.

SunBelt-Again, don't want to go I-A. And as for pulling a "western" and going for all sports but football...I'm not interested in all that traveling. The only close teams would be MTSU and WKU. It would be nice to play them again, but it's not worth going to Denver for.

SoCon-Too much traveling. And while the hardcore football fans (like you and I) would salivate at the tradition in games such as EKUvGSU/Furman/AppState, I don't think the average fan would care very much. Such a move would be done for sole benefit of football.

Gateway-We'd have to find a new conference for the other sports, because the OVC is demanding institutions play football. Morehead has been grandfathered in.

A-10-I can't believe I'm even mentioning this... these schools aren't even close.

C-USA-Even if they called, we couldn't afford to add the extra sports and the travel costs.

What is left? The SEC? The Pioneer League? I just don't know where else we would go.

Golden Eagle
June 21st, 2006, 10:49 PM
Eh, just ignore the (few but very vocal) EKU whiners who imagine their school to be something great and above us bottomfeeders down at Peay and Martin and Tech. The OVC is the best place for the Colonels, it was sixty years ago and still is today. I'd hate to hear what they would say if they had actually won any titles recently. They laughably point to MTSU "moving up", forgetting that the Raiders made a colossal mistake they are suffering from every day. I guarantee you they got more fans (ignoring desperate ploys like having rap concerts at halftime) to come see them battle traditional rivals like TTU and Peay and EKU than Louisiana Lafayette or some such nonsense. Let's see how many fans come to see the mighty EKU take on Missouri State/Central Michigan/Wofford.

And anyways, having UT-Chattanooga join up would be great.

GaSouthern
June 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
http://printereagle.younce.net/Images/ovc.gif
Looking at that picture UTC is a perfect fit... I also think they would make the playoffs in the first three years if they made the jump. I would miss UTC but would never blame them for making the jump!

chattanoogamocs
June 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM
that is a cool map...mind if I use it on Mocfans? (I will save it to my sever)

youwouldno
June 25th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Like I think someone alluded to, this could also be a power play by UTC to have a say in who gets invited if/when the SoCon expands.

chattanoogamocs
June 25th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Not true.

Quite honestly, I haven't heard a school mentioned yet that would excite the average fan here in Chattanooga.

Unless the SoCon is going to try and turn around and steal OVC schools, there really isn't anyone close to Chattanooga for us to push for...so what kind a "hand" can we really force? Pretty much every school mentioned is equally far removed from Tennessee (save Samford...which still doesn't appear to be a strong likelihood...all the Carolina schools mentioned seem much more realistic).

All this comes down to is that both leagues are looking to expand...and Chattanooga happens to be right in the middle of the OVC...it would be a no-brainer for them not to talk...but that does not mean there is some big conspiracy.

The OVC and SoCon will both allow Chattanooga to weigh the options and, once and for all, make a decision...and then everyone can go from there. Obviously, if UC did decide to move, it would probably change the candidates for exapansion...and even the number of schools taken.

OL FU
June 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
http://printereagle.younce.net/Images/ovc.gif
Looking at that picture UTC is a perfect fit... I also think they would make the playoffs in the first three years if they made the jump. I would miss UTC but would never blame them for making the jump!

I hate to say it it makes sense for Chattanooga to make this move.

I don't agree with the playoff sentence. Certainly puts them in a better position. This year will see much improvement in the OVC.