PDA

View Full Version : AGS Preseason Poll... Why Should Your Team Be in the Top 25?

KNUTS
May 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
Like most of the national poll voters, I am lazy and refuse to do any research. So instead of voting the entire Big Sky into the top 25, help me out and tell me what your chances are and who you have returning so I can screw up my poll even more than usual.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
We won the national championship....END :D

HailSzczur
May 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Don't vote for us end of story

Like the idea knuts, because honestly I barely know what the rest of the CAA is like, let alone the rest of the country

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
8-3 record, returns 10 of 11 on offense and 17 overall.

Chance of enough votes for the top 25? 0%.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
8-3 record, returns 10 of 11 on offense and 17 overall.

Chance of enough votes for the top 25? 0%.

Well I usually go about ranking 35-40 teams (at least I used to) so that's not bad information for keeping them in that group and possibly seeing an early appearance if the season starts out well for them.

frozennorth
May 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Und was a borderline top25 team last year, and should be better with only a few losses and a potential upgrade at quarterback. new conference schedule will likely cause some hiccups, and the secondary remains a big concern.

NDSU returns the bulk of the firepower from what was by far the best team in the country last year, but do have questions at the all important o-line

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Because we're Appalachian ****ing State. Duh

NHwildEcat
UNH returns most of their players...QB is changing for the second season in a row, but the cadidates ALL looked solid in the Spring Game. We are also a perennial contender for the CAA and I no doublt think this season is more of the same. I am thinking we are nearly a lock for 8 wins...high side might see us going 10-1...depends on how things go in the CAA this year. Remember, Towson came out of no where last year...and ODU is in their final season with us as well as URI. I'd say we are on the top half of the conference...even willing to go with top 3.

How are the western schools shaping up folks? I don't want to be accused of ECB with my vote this week.

TheRevSFA
SFA had votes at the end of the year...returning just about everyone. I'd say place us 25th

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Well I usually go about ranking 35-40 teams (at least I used to) so that's not bad information for keeping them in that group and possibly seeing an early appearance if the season starts out well for them.

I'll be doing the same thing, but I will probably keep a list of 10-15 "bubble" teams that are on the radar for top 25...not necessarily rank them as it is tough enough sometimes to rank the last 5-10 spots.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Und was a borderline top25 team last year, and should be better with only a few losses and a potential upgrade at quarterback. new conference schedule will likely cause some hiccups, and the secondary remains a big concern.

NDSU returns the bulk of the firepower from what was by far the best team in the country last year, but do have questions at the all important o-line

I'm more concerned about the skill positions (WR in particular) than I am about the OL.

frozennorth
May 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
I'm more concerned about the skill positions (WR in particular) than I am about the OL.

if the guys who were injured last year can stay healthy, this years recievers could be better than last year. the incoming freshman talent should be pretty good too.

replacing veldman is a big deal too

BEAR
May 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Why UCA should be in the top 25.

1. Our QB is coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No he isn't.
2. All of our defense is coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. no it's not.
3. All of our coaches are coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No they're not.
4. We have an easier schedule. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No we don't.
5. We can win the Southland. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No not likely.
6. We play Bacone College. xeyebrowx xholyx
7. We beat Michigan a few years ago. xeyebrowx Wait. No. That wasn't us.
8. We .......

.....nevermind. xbangx xbangx

..so many eyebrow smileys. so little time. xlolx

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Why UCA should be in the top 25.

1. Our QB is coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No he isn't.
2. All of our defense is coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. no it's not.
3. All of our coaches are coming back. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No they're not.
4. We have an easier schedule. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No we don't.
5. We can win the Southland. xeyebrowx Oh wait. No not likely.
6. We play Bacone College. xeyebrowx xholyx
7. We beat Michigan a few years ago. xeyebrowx Wait. No. That wasn't us.
8. We .......

.....nevermind. xbangx xbangx

..so many eyebrow smileys. so little time. xlolx

You forgot to mention the turf...isn't that a rule for UCA posts? xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
if the guys who were injured last year can stay healthy, this years recievers could be better than last year. the incoming freshman talent should be pretty good too.

replacing veldman is a big deal too

Bold for emphasis, but I agree with you.

KNUTS
May 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
We won the national championship....END :D

Yep I have you guys at a solid 8 in the poll... xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'll be doing the same thing, but I will probably keep a list of 10-15 "bubble" teams that are on the radar for top 25...not necessarily rank them as it is tough enough sometimes to rank the last 5-10 spots.

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I meant to say anyway. I didn't rank the others just had them on the "watch list" type of thing. It made things much easier overall.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yep I have you guys at a solid 8 in the poll... xthumbsupx

Hahaha....thanks I guess? xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Yep I have you guys at a solid 8 in the poll... xthumbsupxxlolx

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Why should your team be in the top 2? That should be obvious. Oh did I forget the 5?

Milktruck74
May 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I see The Mocs a solid 20-25. Russ finally has HIS recruits on Defense and it is looking Ghee-double-Ohhh-Dee...Good. We will get scored on next year, but other teams will need to bring it, to do so. The Offense can only get stronger by practicing against that D everyday. I think our O will start to come together into a solid unit. BJ was great and turned around the entire program, but I think we expected too much out of him. Remove him from the picture, and 10 other guys step up. I'm not Chattown, so I will stop a little short of a National Championship (or a Superbowl), but being a realist...I feel pretty good about this years team.

Smitty
May 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Because we're Appalachian ****ing State. Duh

We belong in the top 25 because we picked up App State coaches. Just because we finished 8-36 in the past 4 years, doesn't mean we still don't deserve a vote.... xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
We belong in the top 25 because we picked up App State coaches. Just because we finished 8-36 in the past 4 years, doesn't mean we still don't deserve a vote.... xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

We should be ranked even higher for getting rid of said coaches. Spier is the only legitimate coach that I was sorry to see go. His recruiting impact will help you guys a lot, but that will take a while to really get going.

TheRevSFA
May 23rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
You, most definitely, need Sam as number 2.

I mean, for ****s sake, they made Runner Up T-Shirts. They are PROUD of that game

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
You, most definitely, need Sam as number 2.

I mean, for ****s sake, they made Runner Up T-Shirts. They are PROUD of that game

I think NDSU fans were some of the biggest customers for those shirts....see quite a few of them around here.

cpalum
May 23rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Reasons Cal Poly should be in the top 25

1. Cause they usually are after the games are played...suffice to say that means they should be in before the games are played.

2. Andre Broudous...

3. Walsh needs to get into the payoffs this year otherwise I expect his tenure as HC to end.

4. For the first time in forever Cal Poly has a good team and a favorable schedule.

5. They will be additionally motivated by their first year in the Big Sky

Houndawg
May 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM

I like our chances because SIU's defense handled that firepower pretty easily last season. Last years MVC best front seven will be better this year with the DBs having some experience.

Last years six game losing streak was a trial by fire for QB Kory Faulkner against some of the better defenses in FCS (NDSU, YSU, UNI) and he improved every game. Two new RBs will help and from what I saw in the spring game, if you like how hard Jewel Hampton ran, you're going to love Iowa xfer Mik'ail McCall, son of former heavyweight boxer Oliver McCall and little brother of national champion weight thrower Geneva McCall.

The o line is a question with the loss of two AAs, I think we have the horses but our front seven is so good that its hard to tell in spring.

Other questions - WR and the QB situation. No doubt about Faulkner's improvement in a very tough league last year but McIntosh was leading the MVC in total offense per game when he went down - SIU likes to run the QB, and Mac is definitely the better runner. Could be a slippery call for the coaching staff.

Bottom line: our defense will keep games close again this year and the experience at QB and DB will again be the difference between 4-7 and 7-4.

Playoffs: Make it into the playoffs and we could be a tough out. Unfortunately the MVC looks to be even tougher than last year.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
EWU returns 17 starters from last year, including two 1000-yard WRs, plus 6-5 1000-yard WR Brandon Kaufman from 2010 (broken hand in 2011). We have SMU QB Kyle Padron (gunslinger Texas native QB like BLM, but 4 inches taller, 25 or so lbs heavier, and had a lot better numbers at SMU) transferring in, plus a beast of a DT from UW who transferred in last year but didn't play, who is now eligible (Andru Pulu).

But forget all that. I want EWU to fly under the radar. :D

BEAR
May 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
You forgot to mention the turf...isn't that a rule for UCA posts? xthumbsupx

We are undefeated on the big ugly. xlolx

ndsubison
May 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
The MVFC is tough EVERY year, and SIU's record is misleading. I never rule out SIU. INHO, SIU, IllSt and IndSt, and for sure YSU could all have made some noise in the playoffs last year. Hopefully the expanded field will prove that in coming years. The toughest team in nation last year came from the toughest conference. I believe there's a correlation there. GO BISON!! GO VALLEY!! (F@#K UND and UNI, lol)

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think NDSU fans were some of the biggest customers for those shirts....see quite a few of them around here.

I wondered where they all went. I never saw one in person and I really thought it was a joke. I even made a trip to the bookstore to see if it was true and was told they never carried them.

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
You forgot to mention the turf...isn't that a rule for UCA posts?

I thought that rule belonged to EWU?

bojeta
May 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Reasons Cal Poly should be in the top 25

1. Cause they usually are after the games are played...suffice to say that means they should be in before the games are played.

2. Andre Broudous...

3. Walsh needs to get into the payoffs this year otherwise I expect his tenure as HC to end.

4. For the first time in forever Cal Poly has a good team and a favorable schedule.

5. They will be additionally motivated by their first year in the Big Sky

+1

frozennorth
May 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
EWU returns 17 starters from last year, including two 1000-yard WRs, plus 6-5 1000-yard WR Brandon Kaufman from 2010 (broken hand in 2011). We have SMU QB Kyle Padron (gunslinger Texas native QB like BLM, but 4 inches taller, 25 or so lbs heavier, and had a lot better numbers at SMU) transferring in, plus a beast of a DT from UW who transferred in last year but didn't play, who is now eligible (Andru Pulu).

ewu was far from terrible last year, and with a more favorable schedule would have likely made the playoffs. I'd like to see how they need qb gels with the team, but i have them tentatively ranked somewhere in the mid-teens. could definitely go higher if things start to roll.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
I thought that rule belonged to EWU?

:D

10-2 on the red so far.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
ewu was far from terrible last year, and with a more favorable schedule would have likely made the playoffs. I'd like to see how they need qb gels with the team, but i have them tentatively ranked somewhere in the mid-teens. could definitely go higher if things start to roll.

Sounds about right.

Silenoz
May 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Because we have a consecutive weeks ranked streak (whatever it's up to) that needs to hold up since all our other ones ended in 2010

cpalum
May 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
because we are undefeated this seasonxnodx

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
The OVC could and perhaps should have 2 teams in the top 25.

The MEAC should have just one, at this point (Bethune-Cookman).

Alabama State may just well be that one team that could go undefeated and win the national title (that is if they actually competed for a FCS title).

DSUrocks07
May 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
3-8 last season. Decent recruiting class. Full season of Coach Blount's offense under their belts. I fully expect us to receive several Top 25 votes from those who don't realize that we are NOT Delaware ;) :D

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

McNeese72
May 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
We shouldn't. We need to earn our way in during the season.

Nuff said.

Doc

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
UND won a share of their conference last season and returns a lot of starters and has a FBS transfer as potential starting QB, they went 5-3 in DI games last season (with 2 of those losses FBS teams), beat 2 ranked teams last year (Southern Utah, and South Dakota), was ranked through part of the season, and now with an a new AQ conference, and playoff eligibility the hype in UND football is growing and fans are going to fill up the Alerus to see teams like Montana, Portland State, Southern Utah, and Cal Poly. I wouldn't put UND in top 10 or even 15 but 16-25 I do believe UND at this point belongs in there somewhere.

TheValleyRaider
May 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Because you like us? :) You really like us? :) :) :)

Twentysix
May 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
I like our chances because SIU's defense handled that firepower pretty easily last season. Last years MVC best front seven will be better this year with the DBs having some experience.

Last years six game losing streak was a trial by fire for QB Kory Faulkner against some of the better defenses in FCS (NDSU, YSU, UNI) and he improved every game. Two new RBs will help and from what I saw in the spring game, if you like how hard Jewel Hampton ran, you're going to love Iowa xfer Mik'ail McCall, son of former heavyweight boxer Oliver McCall and little brother of national champion weight thrower Geneva McCall.

The o line is a question with the loss of two AAs, I think we have the horses but our front seven is so good that its hard to tell in spring.

Other questions - WR and the QB situation. No doubt about Faulkner's improvement in a very tough league last year but McIntosh was leading the MVC in total offense per game when he went down - SIU likes to run the QB, and Mac is definitely the better runner. Could be a slippery call for the coaching staff.

Bottom line: our defense will keep games close again this year and the experience at QB and DB will again be the difference between 4-7 and 7-4.

Playoffs: Make it into the playoffs and we could be a tough out. Unfortunately the MVC looks to be even tougher than last year.

Didnt you score 3 points? We weren't the best offense in the country.

Btw last year, Green 24 Gold 17. This year Green 3 Gold 0. Be afriad, be very afraid.

dgreco
May 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
bryant should be receiving some votes because it returns most of its starters on both sides of the ball, including hill finalist Jordan Brown. They had a shot to win the conference last year, but missed out with a few missteps in winnable games.

Seawolf97
May 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
StonyBrook should be in the Top 20. Returning just about everyone and we added Marcus Coker RB - transfer from Iowa and #2 running back in the Big Ten last year and Adrian Coxson from Maryland who will give us our third stud WR . Kevin Norell comes back as a senior as does Jordan Gush. We gave Sam Houston St a real scare on their own field last season. Kyle Essington a backup QB this time last year finished as one of the best QB's in FCS and will return with Miguel Maysonet as our other RB.

Twentysix
May 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
StonyBrook should be in the Top 20. Returning just about everyone and we added Marcus Coker RB - transfer from Iowa and #2 running back in the Big Ten last year and Adrian Coxson from Maryland who will give us our third stud WR . Kevin Norell comes back as a senior as does Jordan Gush. We gave Sam Houston St a real scare on their own field last season. Kyle Essington a backup QB this time last year finished as one of the best QB's in FCS and will return with Miguel Maysonet as our other RB.

SBU is in my top 10 until they prove to me they dont belong there.

McNeese75
May 23rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Uhhhhhh, NO

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM

yeah, you really better be giving them some serious attention or you just are not paying attention. Albany should get a good look as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM

Mine as well!

Seawolf97
May 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Everyone is really pumped for this years team . May even get our first FBS win at Army.

Sycamore51
May 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Because Indiana State brings back nearly the entire defense, a few stud WR's, and the best RB in FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 23rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
For Lehigh...

- The Hawks return one of the best group of skill players in the country. The "new" QB has seen significant time since his Fr. year.
- Experienced OL, Secondary and LB group
- The return of HC Andy Coen and OC Dave Cecchini
- Very favorable schedule
- Lehigh has averaged nearly 9 wins a season since 1998

Three biggest questions
1. Can Colvin polish his passing skills?
2. Depth along the DL
3. Special Teams, cost Lehigh against UNH and really hurt them against NDSU

LakesBison
May 23rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
NDSU should be the ONLY team in the dakota's, minnesota's, wisconsin's in the top 25.

344Johnson
May 24th, 2012, 12:01 AM
NDSU should be the ONLY team in the dakota's, minnesota's, wisconsin's in the top 25.

Cause Minnesota and Wisconsin have so many FCS teams...

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 12:03 AM
We beat the #1 and #2 teams in the CAA last year, just fell apart in games we should have won. Sasek, who should have been the QB last year if not for getting knocked out for the season in the 1st game is looking healthy in Spring and Summer practice, and we have a very solid transfer from Bowling Green waiting in the wings.

On defense our secondary is looking stronger than ever, on offense we have several transfers on the line and at TE to make things happen right away, and we still have Andrew Pierce, arguably the best RB in the league ready to return, along with Hayes, very solid in his own right, ready to relieve the pressure.

gotts
May 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Ditto on what 344J said.

USD went 6-0 at the DakotaDome (3 wins against sub-DI competition), but managed to lose all 5 road games. So basically 3-5 vs. D-I competition.

UND went 5-3 against D-I competition, with 2 of those wins coming over non-scholly Drake (in which they managed only one touchdown) and Northern Colorado (a slim two point victory). For UND to be in my top 25 this year, they are going to have to put away teams that they should easily beat.

SDSU went 5-6 last year with a bad loss on the road against Cal Poly (34 points) and dropped a close one on the road to playoff-bubble team Illinois State (in which I believe Austin Sumner made his first ever start at QB). Of the three teams listed, they are the closest to the top 25 and will be interesting to watch with Sumner at QB.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM

The usual amount of solid reasoning from you LB. Thanks for nothing, once again.xthumbsupx
You are so petty and ridiculous I am sure you will be the factor that pushes some to go with UND in the top 25 when they can't decide between them and someone else. Congrats on being the finger on the scale.xlolx

GeauxLions94
May 24th, 2012, 02:17 AM

OK that settles it, EWU is No. 1 in my book xthumbsupx

frozennorth
May 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Everyone is really pumped for this years team . May even get our first FBS win at Army.

I considered putting sb at #1. I'm expecting big things.

Smitty
May 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM

EWU would never get my #1 vote due to the awful field.... Considering how much talent dropped from the 2010 year to 2011 I still wouldn't consider them top 25 until the 5th week.

BisonHype!
May 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Agreed! I don't know how that will turn out. I am sure we will be okay, but we definitely need some guys to step up at that position.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
EWU would never get my #1 vote due to the awful field.... Considering how much talent dropped from the 2010 year to 2011 I still wouldn't consider them top 25 until the 5th week.

Good to know we have voters that take into account things that aren't relative. And we didn't lose a whole lot of talent from 2010 to 2011. xcrazyx

Houndawg
May 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Didnt you score 3 points? We weren't the best offense in the country.

Btw last year, Green 24 Gold 17. This year Green 3 Gold 0. Be afriad, be very afraid.

Yes, the week after we lost the MVC leader in offense. I'm not saying our case is easy to make, since we were 4-7 and 2-6 in the MVC. I'm saying that of our 6 MVC losses only two were by more than one score, YSU by 12 and SDSU by 11. Both wins were also by one score; in my mind that puts us right in the mix in what was last year and will be again this year a very tough league. Three of the losses occurred on the final drive on tipped passes, my point being that we could have been 7-4 very easily and our three freshman DBs now have some D1 game experience and hopefully won't get beat by an effing flea flicker this year. Personally, I see us in the 4-5-6 position in the MVC, but I'll bet that of YSU, UNI, NDSU, and ISU we win two of them.