PDA

View Full Version : regular 12th game mandate back on for 2007 season

Freightliner
June 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM
*From NCAA.Org*

The NCAA national office has received the requisite number of requests to override the defeat of a proposal to add a 12th regular-season game in Division I-AA. More than 15 requests from Division I-AA institutions have been submitted, which means the Division I Board of Directors must revisit the proposal at its August meeting.

Read More (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/Association+Updates/Board+will+reconsider+I-AA+12th+game+-+06-19-06+update)

mainejeff
June 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
*From NCAA.Org*

The NCAA national office has received the requisite number of requests to override the defeat of a proposal to add a 12th regular-season game in Division I-AA. More than 15 requests from Division I-AA institutions have been submitted, which means the Division I Board of Directors must revisit the proposal at its August meeting.

Read More (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/Association+Updates/Board+will+reconsider+I-AA+12th+game+-+06-19-06+update)

Good.

Tod
June 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM
*From NCAA.Org*

That's great! I hope we get it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JMU Duke Dog
June 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know the schools that are requesting the override? I know JMU supported I-AA football teams being allowed to schedule up to 12 regular season games; however, I am currently unaware of if JMU was one of the schools to request an override.

blukeys
June 20th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Good.

Agreed maybe Maine could get 11 games in that season!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

MR. CHICKEN
June 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Good.

REAL GOOD!....................AWK!

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Not sure what will happen now. Not sure it'll fly at all, but it should be interesting to say the least to see what happens in August, now that they'll have plenty of time to implement it for 2007...

I do think they were trying to rush it last go-around. There'll be a year now for them to implement it and get more teams ready for it..

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
As expected, SWAC/I-AA guru Nick Deriso blogged about a hot topic that has come back to the forefront, the fight for the 12th game. I wonder what other 19 schools joined Grambling in this one...

Override and out
The NCAA, after receiving the required number of objections, has put the question of a 12th game for Division I-AA schools back on its August agenda.

The measure was somehow defeated last April - even though it had the support of several I-AA programs (including, very vocally, Grambling State), I-AA representatives on the Division I Management Council and the Division I-AA Governance Committee.

The NCAA asks for 15 objections to any vote in order for it to be reexamined. They got about 20, with GSU again joining a chorus asking why 12 games is good for I-A but not the lower classification.

Grambling State coach Melvin Spears - who labors under a much-maligned
nine-game league mandate - confirms that conference members submitted a letter to override the proposal's defeat.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/06/override-and-out.html

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
The 12th game thing is PERFECT for those not planning on participipating in the I-AA play-offs.

MACHIAVELLI
June 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM
The 12th game thing is PERFECT for those not planning on participipating in the I-AA play-offs.

:thumbsup:

bluehenbillk
June 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Believe me, I'm a college football junkie & want to see teams play as many games as possible, heck I wish we played more than 12. However, this seems like beating a dead horse. I know there are schools out there who want to play 12 games but I don't think the majority do. It's been well-publicized that out of the 12 A-10 schools, 9 of them oppose playing 12 games every year.

henfan
June 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
There's certainly compelling reasons to both support and oppose 12th game legislation for I-AA. Personally, I'm for giving schools the option of scheduling 12. If I were running a self-supporting, playoff-eligible FB program though, I might not elect to play 12. However, there are plenty of schools for whom a 12th game could go a long way towards balancing FB debt. With so little opportunity to collect additional revenue at the I-AA level, it seems foolish not to allow schools to cash in. OTOH, I understand the kinds of pressures this legislation would put on schools to schedule 12 who don't necessarily need to do so. And there's always a question of whether or not an extra game is in the student-athletes' best interest. Tough question.

McTailGator
June 24th, 2006, 12:10 PM

But those are not the schools wanting to make the change.

The schools that did not wnat it, don't even want 11.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I-AA should have the option of playing 12 per year.

That doesn't mean they'd have to do it.

This would be a big help to schools that only have 5 home games. NDSU, for example, could get another home game if we could go 12.