PDA

View Full Version : Images from 1976 UMass-Toledo games on my Blog

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I've got images from the 09/11/1976 UMass-Toledo game program (the earliest in my collection) up on my blog. I was there.

They're here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) .

Check out the 70's hair cuts on the UMass coaching staff, (which included future UMass Head Coach and curent VMI coach Jim Reid, future UMass Head Coach Bob Pickett, future Syracuse and Boston Patriots Head Coach Dick MacPherson).

And then there is the 1976 UMass roster. Notice the romping stompin' 220 pd offensive tackles we had back then.

OL FU
June 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I've got images from the 09/11/1976 UMass-Toledo game program (the earliest in my collection) up on my blog. I was there.

They're here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) .

Check out the 70's hair cuts on the UMass coaching staff, (which included future UMass Head Coach and curent VMI coach Jim Reid, future UMass Head Coach Bob Pickett, future Syracuse and Boston Patriots Head Coach Dick MacPherson).

And then there is the 1976 UMass roster. Notice the romping stompin' 220 pd offensive tackles we had back then.

Very cool post on the blog

I used to look a lot like that guy that is second from the right:eek:

saint0917
June 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Billy Coleman is a co-worker of mine. His desk and my desk face each other. :nod:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6712/1164/400/File0039.jpg

OL FU
June 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Billy Coleman is a co-worker of mine. His desk and my desk face each other. :nod:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6712/1164/400/File0039.jpg

Looking like him would be ok, I was talking about the haircut on the coaching staff shot. :nod:

blukeys
June 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Jim Reid was always a personal favorite of mine as a coach. He was a very hands on coach and a classy guy. His defenses always played tough. Nice to see a picture of him before the graying kicked in.

saint0917
June 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I was talking about the haircut on the coaching staff shot. :nod:

I know you were, but I was talking about Bill Coleman being a co-work of mine. :rolleyes:

colgate13
June 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I wasn't even 6 months old when this game was played! :D

OL FU
June 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I wasn't even 6 months old when this game was played! :D

So What:p I was six months multiplied by another number (with multiple digits):o

OL FU
June 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I know you were, but I was talking about Bill Coleman being a co-work of mine. :rolleyes:

:o :o :o

One of these days I will realize. Everything is not about me:D

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I wasn't even 6 months old when this game was played!

Glad everyone liked the old-time football shots.

By 1976 I had spent four years on a Destroyer back in Vietnam Era and then four years at UMass (70-74) and in 76 I purchased my first season tickets to UMass football.

Holy Crap! How did I get so old, so quick?:rotateh:

colgate13
June 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Holy Crap! How did I get so old, so quick?:rotateh:

Don't scare the young folks '74! :p

henfan
June 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Great stuff, '74. Thank you for sharing.

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
On the last page of the program is the add for a Chevette for $3,000. When I was in the Navy in the late sixties you could get a GTO with four-on-floor and positraction for $3,000. I almost re-enlisted to get the money to buy one.

One of the sailors I was friends with in Norfork had a 426 Hemi Charger. He put TWO Holly 1250 cfm carbs, Thrush mufflers, 4.54 rear end and Goodyear "H" width slicks on the rear. He got about 9/miles gallon of Sunoco 260...

We would cruise Norfork looking for Chevy SS396's to race.

The Hemi had an insane amount of power. With your foot off the gas, it would idle along at about 35 miles an hour. Touch the gas and the other six barrels of the Hollies would open up.:rotateh:

The thing would not steer worth a damm. With all that iron up front, one thing it would not do is go around steep curves.

He used to let me drive it sometimes. :nod:

Cap'n Cat
June 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Good stuff. Any of them coaches go on to bigger things, besides MacPherson?

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Good stuff. Any of them coaches go on to bigger things, besides MacPherson?

Well, as I said Reid went on to become Head Coach at UMass, Richmond and VMI. Reid was Head Coach at UMass from 86-91. He coached UMass to three Yankee Conference championships.

Bob Pickett was Head Coach at UMass 78-83. He had four Yankee Conference Championships and took the Minutemen to the first I-AA championship Game against FAMU in 1978.

MacPherson ended up the College Hall of Fame. He coached Syracuse to an undefeated season and a Orange Bowl win. He's in both UMass' and Syracuse's Hall of fame. Coached the Patriots for two years. Great guy. Tells great football stories.

Brooks went with MacPherson when he went to Syracuse. I thinlk Maxwell and Mullen also went to Syarcuse. Don't know any other details about them.

Cap'n Cat
June 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Well, as I said Reid went on to become Head Coach at UMass, Richmond and VMI. Reid was Head Coach at UMass from 86-91. He coached UMass to three Yankee Conference championships.

Bob Pickett was Head Coach at UMass 78-83. He had four Yankee Conference Championships and took the Minutemen to the first I-AA championship Game against FAMU in 1978.

MacPherson ended up the College Hall of Fame. He coached Syracuse to an undefeated season and a Orange Bowl win. He's in both UMass' and Syracuse's Hall of fame. Coached the Patriots for two years. Great guy. Tells great football stories.

Brooks went with MacPherson when he went to Syracuse. I thinlk Maxwell and Mullen also went to Syarcuse. Don't know any other details about them.

Cool. Did not know all that.

:)

Maverick
June 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Last I heard a couple of years ago, Clarence Brooks was on the Chicago Bears staff.

As to growing old quickly, you can't do that. But if you have children, you can age very quickly with some of the things they put a parent through.

Kinda like a variation on an old saying:

You do have to get older, but you don't have to grow up!!!:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Getting older is required, growing up is optional!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

Go...gate
June 20th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Didn't MacPherson tie Auburn in the Sugar Bowl in 1987?

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Was that the game that Auburn went for a tie instead of a win with no time left? Was that with Syracuse???

I know that MacPherson did get a win at the Orange Bowl. Can't think of the details off hand.

Tod
June 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
That's great! I had just turned 11. I remember the font on the cover very well, it was quite popular. Also, the plaid. Good stuff. :nod:

Marcus Garvey
June 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM
On the last page of the program is the add for a Chevette for $3,000. When I was in the Navy in the late sixties you could get a GTO with four-on-floor and positraction for $3,000. I almost re-enlisted to get the money to buy one.

Well, you wouldn't have had much time. GM dropped the compression on their engines in '71 (Chrysler held out until '72). Anyway, could you have afforded the insurance???

Oh, just to make you feel really old:
I was BORN in 1974!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Umass74
June 20th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Well, you wouldn't have had much time. GM dropped the compression on their engines in '71 (Chrysler held out until '72). Anyway, could you have afforded the insurance???

Well, when I joined the Navy in '66 I was paid $78.76/month (before taxes and deductions).

By 1970 as a Petty Officer Third Class, I was making big money---about $340/month if I remember right. That included $12/month sea pay...:p

blukeys
June 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM

One of the sailors I was friends with in Norfork had a 426 Hemi Charger. He put TWO Holly 1250 cfm carbs, Thrush mufflers, 4.54 rear end and Goodyear "H" width slicks on the rear. He got about 9/miles gallon of Sunoco 260...

We would cruise Norfork looking for Chevy SS396's to race.

The Hemi had an insane amount of power. With your foot off the gas, it would idle along at about 35 miles an hour. Touch the gas and the other six barrels of the Hollies would open up.:rotateh:

The thing would not steer worth a damm. With all that iron up front, one thing it would not do is go around steep curves.

He used to let me drive it sometimes. :nod:

In the 60's Chrysler ruled NASCAR (King Richard Petty)

My first car was a 1956 swept wing Dodge. If you could hold the car on the road you could get at least 135 miles an hour but the handling was atrocious. The 1956 and 57 Chevy's were also the real deal. Chevettes could be quick but they were so light you could not floor it off the line or you would do nothing but burn rubber for 600 yards.

Tod
June 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
That's great! I had just turned 11. I remember the font on the cover very well, it was quite popular. Also, the plaid. Good stuff. :nod:

Great football photos, too, BTW. I didn't mean any disrespect. :o :o :o

Umass74
June 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Great football photos, too, BTW. I didn't mean any disrespect.

Tod:

None taken. Being young is great! :)

Marcus Garvey
June 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM
In the 60's Chrysler ruled NASCAR (King Richard Petty)

My first car was a 1956 swept wing Dodge. If you could hold the car on the road you could get at least 135 miles an hour but the handling was atrocious. The 1956 and 57 Chevy's were also the real deal. Chevettes could be quick but they were so light you could not floor it off the line or you would do nothing but burn rubber for 600 yards.

The 426 Hemis are maintance headaches. They're fast and powerful engines, designed to run a full throttle for a few hundred miles, such as during a NASCAR race. You constantly have to tweak them. The only reason they were offered in street cars was to comply with NASCAR rules at the time.

Give me a 440 6bbl (aka "6-Pack") any day. It'll beat a 426 Hemi in the 1/4 Mile, (assuming the same rear axle on both cars) though it doesn't have the top speed of a hemi. :D

bkrownd
June 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Woah! Plaid!

blukeys
June 28th, 2006, 10:38 PM
The 426 Hemis are maintance headaches. They're fast and powerful engines, designed to run a full throttle for a few hundred miles, such as during a NASCAR race. You constantly have to tweak them. The only reason they were offered in street cars was to comply with NASCAR rules at the time.

Give me a 440 6bbl (aka "6-Pack") any day. It'll beat a 426 Hemi in the 1/4 Mile, (assuming the same rear axle on both cars) though it doesn't have the top speed of a hemi. :D

I specifically referred to Richard Petty and a Nascar stock car and not to a Stock drag racer. Yes 426 Hemis are a maintenance headaches but what else does a NASCAR mechanic have to do? He must maintain the sponsor's engine. King Richard dominated NASCAR in the late 60's and early 70's. Thanx to Petty Chrysler was King during the late 60's and early 70's .

You bring up drag racers when my example was Richard Petty???????? What drag race did Petty participate in??????? EVER!!!!

This is what I said "In the 60's Chrysler ruled NASCAR (King Richard Petty)"
Your response is about drag racers?????xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

NASCAR is not drag racing!!!! If you don't know the difference watch FX or NBC on Sundays.

If you want to debate the quality of engines then start a thread but no one should confuse Richard Petty for a drag racer. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Umass74
June 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
UPDATE:

I just added another image from the 09/11/76 game program to my UMass Football blog.

It shows one of UMass' all time great players Joe McLaughlin sacking Dartmouth's QB in a scrimmage played the week before.

Why it's a good human interest story is that Joe McLaughlin's son has just signed with the Minutemen as a DE.

As I said in another thread here at AGS: "Holy Crap! I'm getting old" :o

The image and blog entry are here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) .

Later entries have pushed the game program images off the front page of the blog. Click on the "past blogs by month" section for 06/01/06 to 06/30/06 to access them. Click twice on any image for the largest view.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hey 74, are you going to be adding any pics from the Nov. 13th, 1976 UNH game in Amherst? Sorry, I couldn't resist! :p :p Actually, seeing that you guys beat Toledo that year only makes me appreciate what UNH accomplished that year even more!!

I'll second that "how did I get this old" feeling!!!! I had already turned 26 before that November day that I recall being very, very cold. IIRC, one of the coldest football games I've ever attended, colder than any game I've attended in Durham! But putting a 23-0 hurting on UMass was not something I had ever experienced so we hardly felt the cold!! Yukon Jack also had something to do with that!! xlolx We nipped you guys in 1975, 14-11 to gain the D-II autobid, but hadn't beat you guys since my freshman year (16-0 in 1968). So, wins over UMass were a very significant accomplishment. Those two seasons really started the Bill Bowes era at UNH.

For the record, UNH in 1976 got the autobid to the eight team D-II playoffs and headed out to Bozeman for a Quarterfinal matchup with Montana State. That day in Amherst prepped the Wildcats for another extremely cold day out in Montana, but the Bobcats won 17-16 and then went on to win the D-II Championship.

Umass74
June 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Hey 74, are you going to be adding any pics from the Nov. 13th, 1976 UNH game in Amherst? Sorry, I couldn't resist! Actually, seeing that you guys beat Toledo that year only makes me appreciate what UNH accomplished that year even more!!

I was very likely there. I've been to a number of frozen games at Durham. xlolx

UMass-UNH has always been a tong war. Looking forward to this year's version...