PDA

View Full Version : NDSU looks at FBS FOOTBALL!!

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
NDSU is discussing FBS football, it was on wday last night with the NDSU president

FCS Football ‏@FCS_Football
NDSU feeling some pressure to at least explore a move to FBS http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63709/

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
NDSU is discussing FBS football, it was on wday last night with the NDSU president

FCS Football ‏@FCS_Football
NDSU feeling some pressure to at least explore a move to FBS http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63709/
NM the question on the other thread cuz I didn't see you had posted the link here.

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Big 12 would be a great home. ;)

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
sorry urses! im just excited to see NDSU admin talk about it. Dean & Gene want FBS, time for the rest of NDSU to get on board!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2012, 12:03 PM
sorry urses! im just excited to see NDSU admin talk about it. Dean & Gene want FBS, time for the rest of NDSU to get on board!

Dean Bresciani: “I'd be hesitant. There are so many dynamics, not involving that came into play, what are other teams doing, how competitive other teams being, financially viable, right now all the indicators are against teams moving up to the FBS level.”

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Dean Bresciani: “I'd be hesitant. There are so many dynamics, not involving that came into play, what are other teams doing, how competitive other teams being, financially viable, right now all the indicators are against teams moving up to the FBS level.”

Which, in Lakes language means "WOO ****ING A! WE'RE GOING FBS!!!"

TheRevSFA
May 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
That's great that they are looking at it.

However, NDSU is not in anyone's footprint. Closest would be Big 12

Also the FargoDome (which NDSU doesn't own) does not have room for expansion...so maybe the tax payers can help fund the extra schollies and insane travel

FargoBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM
This is a definite shift from previous statements, not sure if it is anything too serious yet but it is clear that our admin is concerned about the FCS landscape. If we went now our only options are probably being a football only member of the MAC(a stretch to say the least) or trying to cobble together a group of FCS schools to rebuild the WAC.

TheRevSFA
May 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Isn't the geographic size of the WAC what tends to doom it?

I mean..I'd love SFA, Sam, Lamar, NMSU and McNeese in the South, with Idaho, NDSU, UNI, and (insert school here) in the north

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM
That's great that they are looking at it.

However, NDSU is not in anyone's footprint. Closest would be Big 12

Also the FargoDome (which NDSU doesn't own) does not have room for expansion...so maybe the tax payers can help fund the extra schollies and insane travel

Nope, probably not and wrong.

Big XII is not on the table, obviously. The closest and probably the only reasonable chance is if the MAC would expand this far west. Which I don't see. The ticket was going to be the WAC if Montana's moved up. That's looking pretty toast right now.

Dome probably can't be expanded, but apparently Idaho's dome is doing some new type of expansion. Not sure if Fargodome could look into that or not.

FBS move would not be funded by local or state taxpayers. The money would have to come from more donations to team makers and mostly likely a higher student fee, which they would have to approve with a vote. Travel budget wouldn't go up much, if at all, playing 4 away MAC games. NDSU already charters flights to all MVFC games except SDSU and maybe UNI (not sure) and now probably USD.

The extra 23 scholarships, if they went to ND, MN or players from states participating in exchange programs, would not cost that much. Tuition at NDSU, except the solidly non-resident rate, is pretty cheap.

TheRevSFA
May 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Nope, probably not and wrong.

Big XII is not on the table, obviously. The closest and probably the only reasonable chance is if the MAC would expand this far west. Which I don't see. The ticket was going to be the WAC if Montana's moved up. That's looking pretty toast right now.

Dome probably can't be expanded, but apparently Idaho's dome is doing some new type of expansion. Not sure if Fargodome could look into that or not.

FBS move would not be funded by local or state taxpayers. The money would have to come from more donations to team makers and mostly likely a higher student fee, which they would have to approve with a vote. Travel budget wouldn't go up much, if at all, playing 4 away MAC games. NDSU already charters flights to all MVFC games except SDSU and maybe UNI (not sure) and now probably USD.

The extra 23 scholarships, if they went to ND, MN or players from states participating in exchange programs, would not cost that much. Tuition at NDSU, except the solidly non-resident rate, is pretty cheap.

The taxpayer comment is pure sarcasm. I know you are going to have to raise fees, especially with your small enrollment, however, your alumni and traveling fan base is so strong I'm sure it'd be easy to get donations out of them.

The MAC won't go that far west with their current eastern shift in their footprint.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The taxpayer comment is pure sarcasm. I know you are going to have to raise fees, especially with your small enrollment, however, your alumni and traveling fan base is so strong I'm sure it'd be easy to get donations out of them.

The MAC won't go that far west with their current eastern shift in their footprint.

Well...they're certainly strong in spirit. But not necessarily as strong in cashflow.

For example, I think a lot of them drove down to Dallas from North Dakota. That's pretty cheap for such a hellacious drive. Granted it was the national championship and some people had tailgating rigs to show off. I'm not so sure we'd have much success in squeezing even $1million more out of them per year. I think it would have to be a significant increase in student fees.

FargoBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Isn't the geographic size of the WAC what tends to doom it?

I mean..I'd love SFA, Sam, Lamar, NMSU and McNeese in the South, with Idaho, NDSU, UNI, and (insert school here) in the north

Yeah the footprint is an issue, that said if the conference was football only maybe it would be more stable in the long run. Geography is less important when you remove all the other sports from the equation.

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
NDSU fans would fly to MAC or MWC or WAC easily.

Fargo to Chicago or Denver happens a couple times a day at Fargo Airport. NDSU needs to get in on some oil money donations and push into Minnesota more and this FBS thing would be off the ground and running tomorrow.

Aside from football, all of NDSU's other sports are at the top of their conference's and this would help them out with competition.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 17th, 2012, 03:01 PM
NFL would be a better fit, IMO. xcoffeex

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
NDSU fans would fly to MAC or MWC or WAC easily.

Fargo to Chicago or Denver happens a couple times a day at Fargo Airport. NDSU needs to get in on some oil money donations and push into Minnesota more and this FBS thing would be off the ground and running tomorrow.

Aside from football, all of NDSU's other sports are at the top of their conference's and this would help them out with competition.

Wait, aren't these all the teams that they aren't letting into the MVC because they don't raise the competitiveness?

BucBisonAtLarge
May 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM
With whom is the oil money affiliated? Now we see an avenue for spending that pesky state surplus, and ending the NDSU chip on the shoulder. If just one school fixed the WAC's problem, the presence of money and ambition would make this thread's topic more than mid May filler.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
With whom is the oil money affiliated? Now we see an avenue for spending that pesky state surplus, and ending the NDSU chip on the shoulder. If just one school fixed the WAC's problem, the presence of money and ambition would make this thread's topic more than mid May filler.

The voters of the State of North Dakota (United States) approved a constitutional amendment to create the fund. It will receive 30% of the state’s taxes on oil and gas production and extraction. It will be then transferred to a special fund in the state treasury.

The "North Dakota Legacy Fund" was established last year and is currently valued at $100 million.

http://www.swfinstitute.org/swfs/north-dakota-legacy-fund/

northernfire
May 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Not sure what the history is with NDSU and UND going D1 at different times but that is the past. It wouldn’t surprise me if NDSU and UND moved to FBS together at some point in the future. Going together would certainly enhance the prospects of a conference invite.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
NFL would be a better fit, IMO. xcoffeex

Small minds are easily amused.

xtroublex

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Well...they're certainly strong in spirit. But not necessarily as strong in cashflow.

For example, I think a lot of them drove down to Dallas from North Dakota. That's pretty cheap for such a hellacious drive. Granted it was the national championship and some people had tailgating rigs to show off. I'm not so sure we'd have much success in squeezing even $1million more out of them per year. I think it would have to be a significant increase in student fees.

IMO, Bison fans would come thru with more money easily if there was a FBS move. I think you would be surprised that Bison fans would definitely support a FBS move financially.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Dom Izzo tweeted this response to a question about the FBS move up:

http://twitter.com/#!/DomIzzoWDAY

Is the FargoDome big enough for FBS football?

No, one of the many issues preventing NDSU at this moment from moving up

Since NDSU is about 2 million from their BSA (new basketball arena upgrade goal) so NDSU won't have money for a new dome, city of Fargo won't have money for a new dome they do have that flooding issue to fix. So overall its all about $$$$$$.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM
If the FargoDome was built to its original capacity (27K) and not downsized, this would not be an issue.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM
If the FargoDome was built to its original capacity (27K) and not downsized, this would not be an issue.

Would NDSU have filled the 27,000 dome when it was built in 1992?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM

No.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 04:56 PM

Probably not.

But it would be nice in this discussion.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Probably not.

But it would be nice in this discussion.

Obviously they didn't think about FBS in the early 90's when they were still battling UND for the NCC title in DII. They could go FBS and the dome could rival the Kibbie Dome in Moscow, ID (just with more people since Idaho sucks).

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Since NDSU is about 2 million from their BSA (new basketball arena upgrade goal) so NDSU won't have money for a new dome, city of Fargo won't have money for a new dome they do have that flooding issue to fix. So overall its all about $$$$$$.

What?!?!

NDSU can sell well more than 19 THOUSAND tickets to a home football game. The fake rule that isn't enforced at the FBS level is that you must average 15k attendance over a rolling 2 year period.

How the heck can they say the Fargodome isn't big enough????

If they want more revenue, then increase ticket prices.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM
What?!?!

NDSU can sell well more than 19 THOUSAND tickets to a home football game. The fake rule that isn't enforced at the FBS level is that you must average 15k attendance over a rolling 2 year period.

Why doesn't NDSU charge tickets like UND. Where you pick a couple games and charge more like NDSU could charge more for Homecomming and say SDSU or UNI. (UND is charging more this season for Montana and NAU for Homecomming).

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM
The "North Dakota Legacy Fund" was established last year and is currently valued at $100 million.

Its $353 MILLION according to todays inforum.com

Northernfire, youre making me laugh suggesting und could be fbs, they havent beaten a fbs team yet, and have zero signature wins. Cmon dude.

NDSU has the new basketball arena starting up const this fall, every ndsu sport would place top 1,2,3 in MWC,MAC,WAC.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Its $353 MILLION according to todays inforum.com

Northernfire, youre making me laugh suggesting und could be fbs, they havent beaten a fbs team yet, and have zero signature wins. Cmon dude.

NDSU has the new basketball arena starting up const this fall, every ndsu sport would place top 1,2,3 in MWC,MAC,WAC.

Oh Goldy, you start off with good information then just **** all over yourself in the rest of the post.

UND's endowment is about 50% more than NDSU's. Why? Because every rich doctor or lawyer went to UND, not NDSU. They will always have a better fundraising base and even besides old dead Uncle Ralph, they could probably come up with the scratch to fund the move IF and I only say IF, they really want to.

344Johnson
May 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Why doesn't NDSU charge tickets like UND. Where you pick a couple games and charge more like NDSU could charge more for Homecomming and say SDSU or UNI. (UND is charging more this season for Montana and NAU for Homecomming).

I am happy that we do not. It would raise more money but I really think that a flat rate is the right thing to do. If we did charge premium rates for certain games, I'd still go obviously.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Oh Goldy, you start off with good information then just **** all over yourself in the rest of the post.

UND's endowment is about 50% more than NDSU's. Why? Because every rich doctor or lawyer went to UND, not NDSU. They will always have a better fundraising base and even besides old dead Uncle Ralph, they could probably come up with the scratch to fund the move IF and I only say IF, they really want to.

I like how he threw signature wins and fbs wins in as a caveat as well considering what has happened recently to show that it has zero effect on whether someone moves or can move. It is primarily about money and how much your fans are willing to carry the water.

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Water mmmm high quality h20 ! Bobby boucher

clenz
May 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
NDSU mens basketball team isn't a top 3 Summit team....not even close to top 8 in MWC or top half MAC

Haven't looked at womens sports but we all know those don't matter
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

JSUBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:27 PM
There is not one good reason out there for NDSU to move up anytime soon. I can list at least a half dozen reason why not to, but they've already been posted here and at B'ville dozens of times.

JSUBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
NDSU bend basketball team isn't a top 3 Summit team....not even close to top 8 in MWC or top half MAC

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

No argument there. Hopefully things will improve in the coming years. Sounds like groundbreaking starts on the new BB facility may start as early as this fall.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lqWgiiCcF30/TK0v4owSjFI/AAAAAAAAAPI/4IPjw_PCE9Y/s1600/BisonRendering.jpg

Screamin_Eagle174
May 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Small minds are easily amused.

xtroublex

I'm glad you find me amusing.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM

I want a porsche right now. That doesn't mean I am going to be able to afford one for quite awhile.

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 03:17 AM

why? there are only going to be about 1500 seat not going to students or season ticket holders.

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 03:19 AM

i wonder if ndsu had better funding from the state if ndsu would be able to put more of its donations toward the endowment. probably.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM

I'm not sure they could come up with the scratch. UND's budgets for athletics are very comparable to NDSU's. You'd think that if the wealthy doctors and such were involved heavily, the budgets UND would be putting out there should be bigger than NDSU's. I am aware it is a bigger budget simply because of the hockey program being exceptionally expensive to run. I just don't know if they have the ability to raise X number of dollars if NDSU doesn't have it.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
No argument there. Hopefully things will improve in the coming years. Sounds like groundbreaking starts on the new BB facility may start as early as this fall.

The BSA is never going to be a good arena, just because they put some new seats in it.

I was at the DECC recently for UMD's graduation ceremony. THAT's a nice arena, given the size of the school and the crowds who watch Bulldog hockey. They even have video boards on all four sides. Just makes you shake your head at how poor NDSU's arena is and will still be, comparatively.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM

The BSA is never going to be a good arena, just because they put some new seats in it.

I was at the DECC recently for UMD's graduation ceremony. THAT's a nice arena, given the size of the school and the crowds who watch Bulldog hockey. They even have video boards on all four sides. Just makes you shake your head at how poor NDSU's arena is and will still be, comparatively.

You are aware that they are doing more than just putting new seats in it right? I would hope UMD has a nice arena, they are a very good hockey program. NDSU at best, will be a mid-major at some point in basketball.

LakesBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Ndsu needs to.ASK.for money thats the problem, they dont, they arent aggressive at all

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM
You are aware that they are doing more than just putting new seats in it right? I would hope UMD has a nice arena, they are a very good hockey program. NDSU at best, will be a mid-major at some point in basketball.

Comparing success in men's hockey to men's basketball is apples to asparagus.

The quality of the arena should be dictated by the size of the school and how much money it has to spend. The main arena is one of the identities of the school, like the football stadium. NDSU's arena is...well, pathetic. It's ugly. It's old. It's not open feeling.

It needs to be bulldozed and just start over.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Comparing success in men's hockey to men's basketball is apples to asparagus.

The quality of the arena should be dictated by the size of the school and how much money it has to spend. The main arena is one of the identities of the school, like the football stadium. NDSU's arena is...well, pathetic. It's ugly. It's old. It's not open feeling.

It needs to be bulldozed and just start over.

And where would NDSU play in the meantime? It is an old ugly building. But I think we'll be surprised to see how much nicer it is. Agree to disagree. Right now it is pathetic, it won't be anymore.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
And where would NDSU play in the meantime? It is an old ugly building. But I think we'll be surprised to see how much nicer it is. Agree to disagree. Right now it is pathetic, it won't be anymore.

Of course it will be nicer. When you go from the worst arena in the upper midwest at a larger public school - and that's not an exaggeration when you look at Duluth and Mankato's arenas - to one that's a bit nicer, yes that's a large improvement. But it's still going to be the worst! Most of the money is being spent on, admitidly needed, improvements to support and admin facilities. Bball practice facility, locker rooms, weight room, training room, offices. Not the arena.

Hardly anything is going to be done to make the exterior not look like an ugly white box.

I just wonder, why can't we have something like the DECC? They would've had that with the Fargodome expansion, but that got canned. Too darn bad.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Of course it will be nicer. When you go from the worst arena in the upper midwest at a larger public school - and that's not an exaggeration when you look at Duluth and Mankato's arenas - to one that's a bit nicer, yes that's a large improvement. But it's still going to be the worst! Most of the money is being spent on, admitidly needed, improvements to support and admin facilities. Bball practice facility, locker rooms, weight room, training room, offices. Not the arena.

Hardly anything is going to be done to make the exterior not look like an ugly white box.

I just wonder, why can't we have something like the DECC? They would've had that with the Fargodome expansion, but that got canned. Too darn bad.

Haha, you seriously think it is going to be the worst arena in the midwest? It is still going to hold around 6 thousand people. it is going to have a much nicer playing area. You have literally nothing to complain about as far as it goes. It is not like NDSU has ever been a powerhouse in basketball. What were you hoping for? Cameron Indoor? The new arena that Nebraska put up? It is going to be a nice place, the overall project is going to help out all of NDSU athletics. People are going to start probably coming to check out the new facility. Maybe NDSU basketball will start to become an event for more than just a season.

BisonHype!
May 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Listen, the idea of NDSU is not all that crazy. I think right now the timing could be better for NDSU finacially, but with conferences in the FBS level restructuring it might be the right time. If NDSU doesn't make the jump now, I do see them revisiting it in the next 5 years. I do believe that NDSU will eventually make this jump, and the college along with the fan base have this as a future goal. The biggest hurdles right now is that NDSU is getting their new Basketball facility built, and needs it to help make the jump. The other hurdle is finding a conference to join up with. Location is the problem, but I do think it will eventually be approached by a conference needing to add a college like NDSU. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that NDSU is the "CATS ***" or "OMG NDSU IS WANTED BY EVERYONE!"xcrazyx , but NDSU is an up and coming college that has a strong fan base (and growing), travels well for an FCS School, meets FBS requirements, above average facilities (after new BSA built), competitive in the major sports (NCAA Tourney Mens Basketball Appearance, NCAA FCS Football Championship, NCAA Softball Tourney Appearance (last 4 years), NCAA Volleyball Tourney Appearances, and Men's Baseball, and their Track Program is Pretty darn good too)xthumbsupx. It is an attainable dream for the fanbase, and not exactly a crazy idea to think NDSU will make the jump. I don't see NDSU making the jump now, but I do see it happening or NSDU atleast pursuing it in 5 years down the road or possibly sooner. If more FCS Teams make the jump to FBS, I see NDSU making the jump as well so they don't get left behind.xsmileyclapx

Ok, now those of you that would like to rip on me... Have at it! haha:p

word
May 18th, 2012, 11:31 AM
What were you hoping for? Cameron Indoor?

You realize Cameron Indoor is a ****hole right?

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM
You realize Cameron Indoor is a ****hole right?

I realize it is an old school venue. I should have stated I mean as far as recognition goes. It is like Mpls expects NDSU to have some venue that will make everyone in the land jealous. But then again, he is not a rational person.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I realize it is an old school venue. I should have stated I mean as far as recognition goes. It is like Mpls expects NDSU to have some venue that will make everyone in the land jealous. But then again, he is not a rational person.

I expect NDSU to have an arena the same quality as the DECC. Yes, that is true.

When the BSA project is finished, the arena will not be much better. The seats will be nicer to sit in, will wrap around the court a little bit better and there will be a concourse that goes around. That's it. They're not even adding 2 more video boards. The arena itself is just getting a spit-polish.

The other facilities within the BSA will be very nice. The practice facility for bball, especially.

No_Skill
May 18th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I want a porsche right now. That doesn't mean I am going to be able to afford one for quite awhile.

You can actually get an entry level 944 for pretty cheap.

JSUBison
May 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM
You can actually get an entry level 944 for pretty cheap.

I think Johnson's weekly $20 allowance goes to Natty Light, Thunderbird and Ripple, so yeah, he can't afford one.

ps: Johnson, looking forward to your 2:30am post on Bisonville this saturday! :p

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Listen, the idea of NDSU is not all that crazy. I think right now the timing could be better for NDSU finacially, but with conferences in the FBS level restructuring it might be the right time. If NDSU doesn't make the jump now, I do see them revisiting it in the next 5 years. I do believe that NDSU will eventually make this jump, and the college along with the fan base have this as a future goal. The biggest hurdles right now is that NDSU is getting their new Basketball facility built, and needs it to help make the jump. The other hurdle is finding a conference to join up with. Location is the problem, but I do think it will eventually be approached by a conference needing to add a college like NDSU. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that NDSU is the "CATS ***" or "OMG NDSU IS WANTED BY EVERYONE!"xcrazyx , but NDSU is an up and coming college that has a strong fan base (and growing), travels well for an FCS School, meets FBS requirements, above average facilities (after new BSA built), competitive in the major sports (NCAA Tourney Mens Basketball Appearance, NCAA FCS Football Championship, NCAA Softball Tourney Appearance (last 4 years), NCAA Volleyball Tourney Appearances, and Men's Baseball, and their Track Program is Pretty darn good too)xthumbsupx. It is an attainable dream for the fanbase, and not exactly a crazy idea to think NDSU will make the jump. I don't see NDSU making the jump now, but I do see it happening or NSDU atleast pursuing it in 5 years down the road or possibly sooner. If more FCS Teams make the jump to FBS, I see NDSU making the jump as well so they don't get left behind.xsmileyclapx

Ok, now those of you that would like to rip on me... Have at it! haha:p

Do you see NDSU taking SDSU with them or trying to get all 4 teams to make the jump. NDSU could make it as of now with their stadium and I think SDSU could too, UND could if they upgraded Memorial Stadium to a 20,000 seat stadium, as for USD...they may be the only Dakota team left behind.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM

What?!?!

I was just about to say. According to Wikipedia the FargoDome seats about 19k, which is about the same as ODU's Foreman Field and ODU just accepted an invite to C-USA.

Sounds like the admin is trying to placate the fan base to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I was just about to say. According to Wikipedia the FargoDome seats about 19k, which is about the same as ODU's Foreman Field and ODU just accepted an invite to C-USA.

The fan base, with the exception of a few jerkoffs, doesn't care about moving up.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM

If by placate you mean "lie to them and make FBS sound impossible", then yes.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think Johnson's weekly $20 allowance goes to Natty Light, Thunderbird and Ripple, so yeah, he can't afford one.

ps: Johnson, looking forward to your 2:30am post on Bisonville this saturday! :p

My weekly allowance this time of year goes to keystone light....wonderful for beer darts ;) Maybe a bottle of Jag too.

Tonights topic will probably be some long rant about how NDSU should tell UND to go **** itself.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I expect NDSU to have an arena the same quality as the DECC. Yes, that is true.

When the BSA project is finished, the arena will not be much better. The seats will be nicer to sit in, will wrap around the court a little bit better and there will be a concourse that goes around. That's it. They're not even adding 2 more video boards. The arena itself is just getting a spit-polish.

The other facilities within the BSA will be very nice. The practice facility for bball, especially.

So essentially, because it won't have 2 new video boards, it is a waste? Rather than looking like a large high school gymnasium, it is going to look like a real basketball venue.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
So essentially, because it won't have 2 new video boards, it is a waste? Rather than looking like a large high school gymnasium, it is going to look like a real basketball venue.

It's not a waste. Never said it was. I'm glad they're doing something and it will be an improvement.

What I said is that it still won't be a nice arena. Duluth and Mankato will still have better arenas. That's inexcusable to me, but obviously not to everyone.

I'm not sure what you consider a "real" bball facility to look like, but the BSA arena is not going to be that IMO.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
It's not a waste. Never said it was. I'm glad they're doing something and it will be an improvement.

What I said is that it still won't be a nice arena. Duluth and Mankato will still have better arenas. That's inexcusable to me, but obviously not to everyone.

I'm not sure what you consider a "real" bball facility to look like, but the BSA arena is not going to be that IMO.

Duluth and Mankato also don't have $50 million indoor arenas like the Fargodome.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM

That is great for them that they will have better arenas for their flagship sport, hockey. Keep in mind, basketball is 2nd fiddle in Fargo. Always has been, always will be. The SHAC/BSA will be a huge step up from what we had, and may give that place a real atmosphere that NDSU deserves.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
That is great for them that they will have better arenas for their flagship sport, hockey. Keep in mind, basketball is 2nd fiddle in Fargo. Always has been, always will be. The SHAC/BSA will be a huge step up from what we had, and may give that place a real atmosphere that NDSU deserves.

Not a good enough excuse. There are plenty of DI football schools that have afterthought bball teams and still have nice arenas.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Duluth and Mankato also don't have $50 million indoor arenas like the Fargodome.

And NDSU doesn't have a good arena. What's your point?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Duluth and Mankato built their arenas with hockey in mind. Fargo built its arena for football. I remember very vividly the initial discussion for replacing the civic center. It was going to be something on the scale of the DECC. Instead, they chose to get in with NDSU to build a replacement for Dacotah Field.

To compare the BSA/SHAC with either of those arenas is apples/oranges.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM

What are your complaints about the BSA?

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm just happy we are getting a nice new venue which will certainly make NDSU more attractive to recruits, fans, and possibly at some point if the Summit falls apart, a new conference. Whether or not they could have perhaps made it a more impressive venue is another discussion. I'm just excited that possibly by the time I graduate, I will be in a nice new arena and presumably with a much better atmosphere considering a lot of people will want to check it out.

AmsterBison
May 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM

No FieldTurf.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
No FieldTurf.

LMAO

Used to have Tartan Surface I believe.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM

"no new video boards."
"not any real improvements."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/media/full/jpg/2010/09/28/ndsu-bison-sports-arena.jpg and http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/Picture1.jpg

compared to...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/IF/IFXLGDEZAXOQZEU.20111108171749.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mQtRC0EegIU/TCtVq1M47YI/AAAAAAAABTw/hmk1Vvomhtc/s1600/bsa+2.jpg and http://www.ndsu.edu/images/buildings/photos/bldg.bsa_1.jpg

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 04:20 PM
"no new video boards."

Corners look better. I always like the BSA when it was called the New Fieldhouse ;)
Used to be a fullhouse almost every game when Askew and Berwald were playing.
The best part was the women's games would draw a crowd from people coming early to the mens game. Eventually that crowd loved the women's games too.
Will mixed drinks still be allowed, or are they not allowed currently. ;)

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Corners look better. I always like the BSA when it was called the New Fieldhouse ;)
Used to be a fullhouse almost every game when Askew and Berwald were playing.
The best part was the women's games would draw a crowd from people coming early to the mens game. Eventually that crowd loved the women's games too.
Will mixed drinks still be allowed, or are they not allowed currently. ;)

Oh, well they have a rule, you need to be wearing a coat...and a coke bottle that is about 50/50 with Morgan is allowed. ;)

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
"no new video boards."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/media/full/jpg/2010/09/28/ndsu-bison-sports-arena.jpg and http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/Picture1.jpg

compared to...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/IF/IFXLGDEZAXOQZEU.20111108171749.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mQtRC0EegIU/TCtVq1M47YI/AAAAAAAABTw/hmk1Vvomhtc/s1600/bsa+2.jpg and http://www.ndsu.edu/images/buildings/photos/bldg.bsa_1.jpg

Whats going to be the capacity of the "new" BSA? That first pic is very impressive!! (although on the video board there is no more Alltel its now AT&T.)

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Whats going to be the capacity of the "new" BSA? That first pic is very impressive!! (although on the video board there is no more Alltel its now AT&T.)

I don't think the capacity is set to really change. It currently holds 6,000 people says wikipedia. The Bison Illustrated article says it will hold 5,700 people. Which seems weird that it will be smaller, but I suppose with actual seats rather than bench seats. I guess we'll see eh?

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I don't think the capacity is set to really change. It currently holds 6,000 people says wikipedia. The Bison Illustrated article says it will hold 5,700 people. Which seems weird that it will be smaller, but I suppose with actual seats rather than bench seats. I guess we'll see eh?

5700-6000 is a pretty good number. I have been to 3 NDSU basketball games (not involving UND) and that arena does need an upgrade. It will be worth the wait.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
If by placate you mean "lie to them and make FBS sound impossible", then yes.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. :)

TheBisonator
May 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
5700-6000 is a pretty good number. I have been to 3 NDSU basketball games (not involving UND) and that arena does need an upgrade. It will be worth the wait.

The new capacity will be 5,945.

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I personally would hold off and aim for 8k or so.

I think this is the sort of this where ten years later they will be disappointed they set the bar low, just like some people are with the fargodome.

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Do you see NDSU taking SDSU with them or trying to get all 4 teams to make the jump. NDSU could make it as of now with their stadium and I think SDSU could too, UND could if they upgraded Memorial Stadium to a 20,000 seat stadium, as for USD...they may be the only Dakota team left behind.

If they did it with SDSU it may make more appealing to a conference, but I don't think that UND, SDSU, or USD even would meet all the requirements to make the jump to FBS. It is more likely that NDSU makes the jump alone or with Montana. Again, if more of the FCS powerhouses start making the jump, NDSU AND MONTANA would almost be forced to make the jump or risk being left behind. I would compare it to why NDSU made the jump into the FCS. I know Montana would rather not make the jump to FBS, but who wants to be king of the guppies if all the other powerhouse name schools make the jump?

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
If they did it with SDSU it may make more appealing to a conference, but I don't think that UND, SDSU, or USD even would meet all the requirements to make the jump to FBS. It is more likely that NDSU makes the jump alone or with Montana. Again, if more of the FCS powerhouses start making the jump, NDSU AND MONTANA would almost be forced to make the jump or risk being left behind. I would compare it to why NDSU made the jump into the FCS. I know Montana would rather not make the jump to FBS, but who wants to be king of the guppies if all the other powerhouse name schools make the jump?

I would think Montana State would go with Montana before NDSU. UM-MSU are instate rivals just like NDSU and oh never mind.;)

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I would think Montana State would go with Montana before NDSU. UM-MSU are instate rivals just like NDSU and oh never mind.;)

If you don't meet the FBS requirements why would you go with? Plus you were left behind before. Obviously that wasn't a dealbreaker when we made the jump to FCS.xpeacex

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Just because Montana goes, doesn't mean Montana State will or won't go as well. If Montana finds a situation that fits their program, they will do what is best for them instead of worrying what Montana State thinks. They will probably try to get them to go with, but if Montana State pulls a UND, lol.... let's just say they will do the same as NDSU did. Gotta do what is right for the program and not let another school hold you back.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Just because Montana goes, doesn't mean Montana State will or won't go as well. If Montana finds a situation that fits their program, they will do what is best for them instead of worrying what Montana State thinks. They will probably try to get them to go with, but if Montana State pulls a UND, lol.... let's just say they will do the same as NDSU did. Gotta do what is right for the program and not let another school hold you back.

You're wrong on that Hype I have a pretty strong feeling. Nobody's risking being left behind around here. We don't give two ****s what manufactured hysteria goes around with other schools.

There are only recently admitted FCS schools making the jump and ODU would have been fine in the CAA and were welcome members but the others were not big parts of the FCS landscape.

This Chicken Little thing running around lately is pretty amusing though.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I've figured out your act ursus.

Now that the WAC is dead, Montana is stuck. There is no where upwards to go - you're not big enough or good enough to jump straight from the Big Sky to the Mountain West.

So you put on a big show and tell everyone who will listen about how "Montana's ain't care about movin' up". Truth is, it's more about (lack of) opportunity than desire.

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Now that the WAC is dead, Montana is stuck. There is no where upwards to go - you're not big enough or good enough to jump straight from the Big Sky to the Mountain West.

So you put on a big show and tell everyone who will listen about how "Montana's ain't care about movin' up". Truth is, it's more about (lack of) opportunity than desire.

I think Montana would fit in fine in the MWC. Enrollment puts Montana ahead of Air Force and Wyoming, endowment is larger than Air Force, Fresno State, and San Jose State. Football capacity is 300 less than Utah State. Plus they certainly would fit in the footprint of the conference.

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
You're wrong on that Hype I have a pretty strong feeling. Nobody's risking being left behind around here. We don't give two ****s what manufactured hysteria goes around with other schools.

There are only recently admitted FCS schools making the jump and ODU would have been fine in the CAA and were welcome members but the others were not big parts of the FCS landscape.

This Chicken Little thing running around lately is pretty amusing though.

Ursus, if every big time FCS school bails, why would you as a Montana fan want to stay? Unless you prefer to stay on top because without the schools that left you feel that a championship at that level will now mean more (which it won't), there is no reason to stay. It seems to me your saying your fine where your at because Montana can't compete at the next level. If that is the case, fine. Montana should be able to compete in the right conference. Sometimes better competition also makes you better as a school as well.

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If you don't meet the FBS requirements why would you go with? Plus you were left behind before. Obviously that wasn't a dealbreaker when we made the jump to FCS.xpeacex

I wasn't talking about NDSU taking UND right away. UND won't move until they leave the Alerus and that contract still has around 8-10 years to go. I think UM would take Montana State over NDSU since they are in-state rivals.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/article_e8108fe0-712b-11df-9ee7-001cc4c002e0.html

With UM actively pondering the move, and MSU, at least for the moment, sitting tight, the question begs to be asked: Could the Grizzlies leave the Big Sky Conference without the Bobcats?

Several sides seem to be examining the notion, including outgoing UM president George Dennison and MSU president Waded Cruzado.

"I think it's a difficult issue," said Dennison, who plans to retire this summer. "The idea of one school leaving without the other would require a painful and very difficult discussion. The rivalry is good for the state, it stimulates the entire state."

New to MSU this year, Cruzado already sees the value of the rivalry.

"It galvanizes the spirit of alma mater, it brings back alums, supporters and friends from the community," Cruzado said. "It can be a very powerful tool to build a sense of community for our university and the state."

With that, would the Montana University System's Board of Regents even allow such a move that could have such profound effects on the state's two universities?

While Dennison believes there is "no question at all" that the regents have the authority to prevent a school from seeking new conference affiliation, Commission of Higher Education Sheila Stearns said the state's educational governing body has yet to take up the subject.

"I just think that all of this conversation is buzz," Stearns said. "It is not rooted in anything that has ... in any way been brought forward to the Board of Regents for even preliminary discussion."

Regent Todd Buchanan, a Billings finance manager and former Bobcat quarterback, said he doesn't believe the idea of ending or altering the 'Cat-Griz rivalry would be a good one.

"There's something unique and romantic about a longtime rivalry in one conference that I kind of consider a priority," he said. "I'm very proud to watch both programs compete at this level as well as they do."

Have NDSU, and SDSU give these guys a call about leaving an in-state rival. Maybe they will see the light.

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I wasn't talking about NDSU taking UND right away. UND won't move until they leave the Alerus and that contract still has around 8-10 years to go. I think UM would take Montana State over NDSU since they are in-state rivals.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/article_e8108fe0-712b-11df-9ee7-001cc4c002e0.html

Have NDSU, and SDSU give these guys a call about leaving an in-state rival. Maybe they will see the light.

Didn't seem to hurt NDSU making the jump and leaving UND. Did well right away, and quickly won a National Championship. It was better for the program. Good luck against the SD School of Mines (DII).xlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Didn't seem to hurt NDSU making the jump and leaving UND. Did well right away, and quickly won a National Championship. It was better for the program. Good luck against the SD School of Mines (DII).xlolxxlolxxlolx

We will just as a lot of Big Sky teams and MVFC teams play non DI teams. As for jumping to the FCS (I still hate the idea of not moving up..damn you Kupchella and Thomas) NDSU made the most of it and so did SDSU. But now thats over with, 4 Dakota teams found AQ conferences and all 4 are playoff eligible this fall. I can't see the Montana Board of Regents allowing UM to jump to the FBS without MSU.

frozennorth
May 19th, 2012, 05:04 PM

i think it's actually UM that needs to learn from ndsu and sdsu

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 05:10 PM

As usual you don't have a handle on the argument because you don't understand that I really never have seen any value in the FBS system. That's OK if you think you have a grip on what I'm saying and have it figured out. You are wrong quite often and I expect nothing less from you.xthumbsupx

Here's a quote I made on CS two years ago to AZGriz when the talk of moving up was be bandied about to show you how wrong you are however.

"Ursus A. Horribilis"

You also take a list of bad teams from a multiple year period and want to act like that's the list? You're a pathetic mother ****er dude and I realize it don't mean **** to you but you will be able to do that if we go to that ****hole WAC conference as well. God damn I hope that conference folds soon.

"AZGrizFan"

Really? ISU? UNC? Sac State? SUU? Have those teams EVER been good? I take bad teams from a multiple year period BECAUSE THEY'RE BAD TEAMS YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT. Pull your head even remotely out of your *** and you'd see that. :kisswink:

Oh, and the conference that's gonna fold is the BSC....just as soon as the WAC takes PSU & Sac State...either that or it becomes even MORE watered down by replacing those two doormats with even WORSE doormats in SUU and Central Washington. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: And when the WAC ALSO takes UC-Davis and/or Cal Poly there will literally be NOONE left for us to play out west EXCEPT the Fort Lewis's and Western States of the world.

Congratulations, you'll get your wish. 14-0 every year and a loss in the playoffs. But hey, at least it'll be a home game, right? :roll:

When the WAC was a viable alternative I did not want to see the Griz go there. I been doing this for a lot longer than you have MPLS because there are and have been a lot of Griz fans that think like you do...they have wishes that their dicks were bigger and like to have their team be the patch for their hopes and dreams for themselves.

That ain't me, I'm packin'.xthumbsupx

Here's the link from a couple years if you felt like doing the research you would find that it was the same even years before that. I've seen you ask for the link when it doesn't fit into your belief system so the entire argument is presented below for you.

BTW, there is salty language on this board so you been warned.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17674&start=25#p340980

Congrats on your super terrific skills in figuring out the peoples MPLS.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ursus, if every big time FCS school bails, why would you as a Montana fan want to stay? Unless you prefer to stay on top because without the schools that left you feel that a championship at that level will now mean more (which it won't), there is no reason to stay. It seems to me your saying your fine where your at because Montana can't compete at the next level. If that is the case, fine. Montana should be able to compete in the right conference. Sometimes better competition also makes you better as a school as well.

For one you are looking at a snap shot in time when you are saying all the top schools are bailing and that is not even the case because a few are bailing and App was always a good team but they were not the top of heap in the playoffs until 2006 so that is fairly recent in the grand scheme.

None of the schools talking about moving can compete at the next level. That's been proven time and time again unless what you consider competing is a conference title and a bowl game that was made up for TV viewing filler in the 80's, 90's, etc..

How can you tell me what a Championship and the playoffs are worth to me? They will mean and be as valuable as they were ever were.

The reason to stay is simple. There is a playoff and I can look around at the financial base at UM and see that we are at the place that our dollars do the most good. We can live comfortably here in this house up until the point the financial incentive to move into a bigger place is doable with an increase in revenue that does not involve the school going to the base with a hat in their hand and panhandling for it. I know what we are. We are not USC, Texas, Auburn, etc. we are a small college in a small community in a small state that does not have the base to compete at the highest level of with the BCS big boys and even if everything went right we'd never, ever get the chance to play for a championship there.

That kind of thing means a lot to me.

The fact that a few teams may be going and there is now some hysteria that this has to happen because "The Jones' are doing it" is truly f'n comical.

Luckily real world decisions aren't made on message boards like this.xlolx

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM
For one you are looking at a snap shot in time when you are saying all the top schools are bailing and that is not even the case because a few are bailing and App was always a good team but they were not the top of heap in the playoffs until 2006 so that is fairly recent in the grand scheme.

None of the schools talking about moving can compete at the next level. That's been proven time and time again unless what you consider competing is a conference title and a bowl game that was made up for TV viewing filler in the 80's, 90's, etc..

How can you tell me what a Championship and the playoffs are worth to me? They will mean and be as valuable as they were ever were.

The reason to stay is simple. There is a playoff and I can look around at the financial base at UM and see that we are at the place that our dollars do the most good. We can live comfortably here in this house up until the point the financial incentive to move into a bigger place is doable with an increase in revenue that does not involve the school going to the base with a hat in their hand and panhandling for it. I know what we are. We are not USC, Texas, Auburn, etc. we are a small college in a small community in a small state that does not have the base to compete at the highest level of with the BCS big boys and even if everything went right we'd never, ever get the chance to play for a championship there.

That kind of thing means a lot to me.

The fact that a few teams may be going and there is now some hysteria that this has to happen because "The Jones' are doing it" is truly f'n comical.

Luckily real world decisions aren't made on message boards like this.xlolx

I think you really are selling Montana short. That isn't a shot at Montana, it is a compliment. With the schools that Montana would have to compete with for recruiting up there, they have somewhat of an advantage, they have a good shot of being a fairly decent FBS school. FBS is starting to play with the playoff system, and down the road, I think it will get bigger as well. I think FCS is a good fit for the Bison too, but if the right situation comes a long for them, I think its silly not to take it if we can make it work money-wise.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I think you really are selling Montana short. That isn't a shot at Montana, it is a compliment. With the schools that Montana would have to compete with for recruiting up there, they have somewhat of an advantage, they have a good shot of being a fairly decent FBS school. FBS is starting to play with the playoff system, and down the road, I think it will get bigger as well. I think FCS is a good fit for the Bison too, but if the right situation comes a long for them, I think its silly not to take it if we can make it work money-wise.

I think I'm still not being clear. I'm not selling Montana short at all. We would compete with almost anyone in the FBS at anything from recruiting and so on outside of the BCS schools.

That is most definitely not the concern at all.

The concern is that I don't consider competing with SBC and the other conferences as any sort of a step up. I consider it more like placing an ordinary ruler on the step and then standing on that and pretending that you've taken a step up because there is a very negligible change in elevation.

The fact that it will at least double the expense side of the ledger compared to where it is now is supposed to be what is considered a sound decision financially?

And all that for the chance to play in a **** bowl game that is nothing more than a participation trophy?

There is talk about that FBS level making changes on these sorts of forums, we love to speculate on what may happen cuz it's fun to say you think this is a good idea and hope to see the NCAA make these sorts of changes but in reality those bowl games are gonna be fought for at some level and a playoff will face an uphill challenge when that comes around.

It is starting to look like it could have more of a chance as time goes on. When that time actually arrives then I will be much likely to think the FBS gives an equal or fairly equal shot but that day ain't here yet so all you, me and everyone else can actually base our ideas on is what is actually in place now.

What I see is complete bull**** and until it changes, I won't. Here, in this subdivision of D1 you have a shot at the ultimate prize every year.

darell1976
May 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I think I'm still not being clear. I'm not selling Montana short at all. We would compete with almost anyone in the FBS at anything from recruiting and so on outside of the BCS schools.

The concern is that I don't consider competing with SBC and the other conferences as any sort of a step up. I consider it more like placing an ordinary ruler on the step and then standing on that and pretending that you've taken a step up because there is a very negligible change in elevation.

The fact that it will at least double the expense side of the ledger compared to where it is now is supposed to be what is considered a sound decision financially?

And all that for the chance to play in a **** bowl game that is nothing more than a participation trophy?

There is talk about that FBS level making changes on these sorts of forums, we love to speculate on what may happen cuz it's fun to say you think this is a good idea and hope to see the NCAA make these sorts of changes but in reality those bowl games are gonna be fought for at some level and a playoff will face an uphill challenge when that comes around.

It is starting to look like it could have more of a chance as time goes on. When that time actually arrives then I will be much likely to think the FBS gives an equal or fairly equal shot but that day ain't here yet so all you, me and everyone else can actually base our ideas on is what is actually in place now.

What I see is complete bull**** and until it changes, I won't. Here, in this subdivision of D1 you have a shot at the ultimate prize every year.

If the FBS had a playoff system or even a 3 tier DI football (BCS, FBS, and a lower FBS/FCS division) with a playoff you will see more FCS teams get interested. Just to play in the "who gives a ****" Bowl and make you school go in debt over it is not a reason to move up. Just look at the mess Idaho is in.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
If the FBS had a playoff system or even a 3 tier DI football (BCS, FBS, and a lower FBS/FCS division) with a playoff you will see more FCS teams get interested. Just to play in the "who gives a ****" Bowl and make you school go in debt over it is not a reason to move up. Just look at the mess Idaho is in.

Exactly. I really don't think there would be more than a BCS, FBS, FCS style though. Doubtfull they'd have four levels of D1 if that's what you were saying there. If the FBS level had the same style playoff system with a scholarship level around 74 then I'm all in.

MplsBison
May 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Exactly wrong on all counts.

- it is a step up because you can offer 85 scholarship equivalencies of aid to football players. Meaning you can improve the product your team puts out on the field.

I thought that was what mattered to you?

- "double expenses", complete lie on your part. Made up gibberish.

- FCS playoff champion is worth less than a participation trophy. It is worst less than any bowl game championship. It is no great prize. You can do better.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Exactly wrong on all counts.

- it is a step up because you can offer 85 scholarship equivalencies of aid to football players. Meaning you can improve the product your team puts out on the field.

I thought that was what mattered to you?

- "double expenses", complete lie on your part. Made up gibberish.

- FCS playoff champion is worth less than a participation trophy. It is worst less than any bowl game championship. It is no great prize. You can do better.

You are adding what you want to or at least making up what you want to see. I should have said double the budget if that helps you and that is not a lie because it is what would have to be done.

I don't give a flying **** that you don't value a D1 Championship, I however do value them so speak for yourself.

You are not exactly the person that I look to emulate in my thought processes so I am quite happy to be on the opposite side of you on some of these issues...especially that one.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Oh btw MPLS, you should start doing that END thing again on your posts cuz it really add some punch to those posts when they are normally soft as hell. You need to drama it up a bit brother. it's really awesome.xlolx

darell1976
May 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Video of NDSU AD Gene Taylor talking about the FBS he said at around the 10:22 mark that it costs 300-400k to go to a lower tier bowl game (the "U-name it" Bowl) and he doesn't want NDSU to go to those. He is only looking to the FBS if they can make money.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hmmph, it's also weird how much he said he valued the playoffs and the experience of that process overall. Honestly, from what I've seen of him he looks to be a pretty sharp guy with a fairly keen way of going about his business. An honest forthright guy that shoots it straight is always a good thing to have so good on ya NDSU.

MplsBison
May 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
You are adding what you want to or at least making up what you want to see. I should have said double the budget if that helps you and that is not a lie because it is what would have to be done.

I don't give a flying **** that you don't value a D1 Championship, I however do value them so speak for yourself.

You are not exactly the person that I look to emulate in my thought processes so I am quite happy to be on the opposite side of you on some of these issues...especially that one.

It doesn't double the budget. Another lie of yours.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Oh btw MPLS, you should start doing that END thing again on your posts cuz it really add some punch to those posts when they are normally soft as hell. You need to drama it up a bit brother. it's really awesome.xlolx

You should have ended your post with "I hope this helps".... :D

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
You should have ended your post with "I hope this helps".... :D

Troof. BTW, that does help. Thank you.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM
It doesn't double the budget. Another lie of yours.

ah, not so much. Give me the #'s there tiger and show me so I can be sure you are not lying to me. I am willing to listen.

BisonFan02
May 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
sorry, but NDSU will not make it past Lehigh in the quarterfinals

I hope this helps

:D END

Oh, and this:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63709/

"Dean Bresciani: “I'd be hesitant. There are so many dynamics, not involving that came into play, what are other teams doing, how competitive other teams being, financially viable, right now all the indicators are against teams moving up to the FBS level.”

NDSU's football budget was $3 million this past season. A move up to FBS would require a minimum of $5 million annually on top of that, a fact Bresciani called a show stopper."

344Johnson
May 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM

Oh, and this:

"Dean Bresciani: “I'd be hesitant. There are so many dynamics, not involving that came into play, what are other teams doing, how competitive other teams being, financially viable, right now all the indicators are against teams moving up to the FBS level.”

NDSU's football budget was $3 million this past season. A move up to FBS would require a minimum of $5 million annually on top of that, a fact Bresciani called a show stopper."

Mpls will say that is a lie. That is a very big budget increase. But it makes sense when you give it much for thought.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
ah, not so much. Give me the #'s there tiger and show me so I can be sure you are not lying to me. I am willing to listen.

You make the false claim and then demand numbers? Fail

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM

Oh, and this:

I'm sure the president of the university has spent time studying the football budget. Cripes, you know darn well better but you post it anyway.

Obviously just repeating what he's been told by Taylor, who is trying to scare people away from FBS right now so he doesn't have to deal with fund raising for that and can try to finish off the BSA upgrade.

TheRevSFA
May 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm sure the president of the university has spent time studying the football budget. Cripes, you know darn well better but you post it anyway.

Obviously just repeating what he's been told by Taylor, who is trying to scare people away from FBS right now so he doesn't have to deal with fund raising for that and can try to finish off the BSA upgrade.

So wouldn't finishing the current upgrade for the BSA, and then ensuring you have the money for the budget be the right steps to moving up, as opposed to just jumping without a budget ready for it? That second option would be putting the cart before the horse.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
You make the false claim and then demand numbers? Fail

Well if you take an out of the way school like Boise State, which everybody who jumps up to FBS thinks they're going to be, they have an athletic budget of $30 million. NDSU has an athletic budget of $15 million.

What ratio is that? I only have a Speech Comm degree so I need a little help here.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM
So wouldn't finishing the current upgrade for the BSA, and then ensuring you have the money for the budget be the right steps to moving up, as opposed to just jumping without a budget ready for it? That second option would be putting the cart before the horse.

Who said anything about jumping up now? Studies would be conducted, etc.

You can now, however, not make blatantly false, deceiving statements - misusing your position of authority and trust.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Well if you take an out of the way school like Boise State, which everybody who jumps up to FBS thinks they're going to be, they have an athletic budget of $30 million. NDSU has an athletic budget of $15 million.

What ratio is that? I only have a Speech Comm degree so I need a little help here.

No one said Boise is the goal. You can improve the product on the field and continue growing the brand without being Boise.

And those aren't football budgets. fail

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Who said anything about jumping up now? Studies would be conducted, etc.

You can now, however, not make blatantly false, deceiving statements - misusing your position of authority and trust.

xprayx oh please, bet someone with interwebz money and threaten to sue them....I'm begging you.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
No one said Boise is the goal. You can improve the product on the field and continue growing the brand without being Boise.

And those aren't football budgets. fail

Do you think this is only about football? How many OTHER BSU teams have you heard of? I'm sure 10 million dollars a year goes to their vaunted golf team. "Fail" is about the lamest comeback ever. You can deflect all you want, this would be a stupid move.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
Do you think this is only about football? How many OTHER BSU teams have you heard of? I'm sure 10 million dollars a year goes to their vaunted golf team. "Fail" is about the lamest comeback ever. You can deflect all you want, this would be a stupid move.

So said many, many Bison faithful - much older and wiser than you - about the move to DI in the first place.

FAIL

BisonBacker
May 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ndsu needs to.ASK.for money thats the problem, they dont, they arent aggressive at all

How freaking stupid are you???? Wait forget I asked that question. Obviously you have a selective memory. Brescani just had to cut our budget due to a lack of funding from the state and the slamming door on the modest tuition increase he requested. God the shat that you spew gets old!

Hammerhead
May 21st, 2012, 11:54 PM
I can't see any serious discussions about NDSU even planning a move to the FBS for a decade or so. Let's see if we can fill the dome every game and get more games on TV first.

344Johnson
May 22nd, 2012, 01:32 AM
I can't see any serious discussions about NDSU even planning a move to the FBS for a decade or so. Let's see if we can fill the dome every game and get more games on TV first.

I agree, but then again, these are mad times...

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM

Not because they shouldn't have the discussions now, but because there's no where to go up top. I can't see NDSU getting looked at for the MAC and that's the only one close enough right now.