PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion To CUSA

superman7515
May 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Matthew Hatfield‏@hatfieldsports

Press Conference on #ODU to #CUSA expected to be at 2PM today.

50m Matthew Hatfield‏@hatfieldsports

Just got a text - it's official: #ODU to #CUSA.

aceinthehole
May 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Wonder if they are leaving for the 2012-13 season like VCU?

I was expecting they would wait to announce after June 1, but before June 30, to be eligible for the FCS at-large bids and meet C-USA's deadline.

henfan
May 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
This is the one that's going to hurt.

GSU was never really a member of CAA FB, their Olympic sports programs brought nothing to the table and they were a flight away for every conference school. VCU, great MBB program, decent Olympic sports but no FB. ODU was a program that I had hoped would continue to develop their FB program alongside UD's and JMU's for an affiliation further down the road. They also have some terrific Olympic sports and are in a fertile recruiting area.

The CAA will easily be able to replace GSU. They can attract a school with a decent MBB program that might eventually come close to VCU. They aren't likely to replace a school with the support and stature of ODU.

The league presidents had better act swiftly to get some schools with strong FB and MBB on board.

asumike83
May 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Would the CAA go after Coastal or are they too far south for the footprint? Competitive football, strong basketball, excellent baseball.

whitey
May 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Well, that sucks for the CAA but I do wish ODU/VCU the best of luck. The CAA is scheduled for it's league meetings in about 2 weeks, however I'm not sure they should wait that long to start inviting replacements. It's going to be difficult to address the wishes of the football schools and basketball schools but it's doable.

henfan
May 17th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Would the CAA go after Coastal or are they too far south for the footprint? Competitive football, strong basketball, excellent baseball.

I'd imagine Coastal, Charleston, Stony Brook, Davidson, UNH and Albany will be in play.

whitey
May 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM

CAA could go in a lot of directions. I would not be surprised at all to see the CAA add more than just 3 schools to replace Georgia State, VCU and Old Dominion. I strongly believe the CAA should attempt to get to 16 teams total with 12 for football. That would mean adding 4 football schools and 3 basketball only. That would mean anyone from America East, Big South and even SoCon could be on the table.

bandit
May 17th, 2012, 09:24 AM
ODU is for 2013 according to reports on Twitter

Also: David Teel‏@DavidTeelatDP

#ODU officials believe Monarchs WILL be eligible for FCS playoffs in 2012.

asumike83
May 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'd imagine Coastal, Charleston, Stony Brook, Davidson, UNH and Albany will be in play.

Losing Charleston would be tough, SoCon basketball and baseball would take a noticeable hit. I'd think that they would not leave unless it is with Davidson, although the loss of VCU/ODU makes the move less attractive from a basketball sense. SoCon is a better baseball conference but if the basketball money is there in the CAA, I'm sure they'd overlook that. Basketball in the SoCon would be absolutely atrocious if Charleston and Davidson bolted, so I'd think the conference would do everything in their power to keep them.

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Well we're averaging about one move up a week now. The Titanic is sinking and there aren't enough life boats. Charlie, get it done.

I'm about a week from admitting that Cobb has run ASU aground. Congratulations on finding out that media market is the main prerequisite a full year after it was obvious to just about anyone, Charlie. He needs to jump off the CUSA jock for two seconds and investigate the SBC, our far and away best option.

Tick tock Charlie xtroublex

aceinthehole
May 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM

How about ... Holy Cross? Winthrop?

Wildcat80
May 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I wish them all the best. As far as ODU & GaState they really were not in the CAA long enough to develop any rivalries.....so no big loss. There are top quality schools that should be anxious to join the top FCS conference in the country. Hope Stony Brook is #1 invite.

superman7515
May 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Old Dominion has been in the CAA since 1991 and had several pretty strong rivalries in the conference.

fc97
May 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
strony brook, albany, winthrop, charleston, furman, elon, wofford, the citadel, vmi, davidson are all available

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Congrats to the Monarchs. Y'all represented the FCS very well for your short time. Best of luck. Y'all have some great fans and expect y'all to do well in the future. Makes me kid of wish Texas St would have gotten an invite to CUSA because it would be fun to play ODU.

ninerID
May 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Appalachian should just put their FBS fairy tale books back on the shelf, accept who they are and beg to get into the CAA.

danefan
May 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
How's this for the New CAA

CAA Olympic Sports
Delaware
Drexel
George Mason
Hofstra
UNC-Wilimngton
James Madison
Northeastern
Towson
William & Mary
Maine
New Hampshire
Albany
Stony Brook
Coastal Carolina
Davidson
Appalachain State xcoffeex

CAA Football

North
Delaware
Maine
New Hampshire
Albany
Stony Brook
Villanova

South
James Madison
Towson
William & Mary
Coastal Carolina
Richmond
Appalachian St

ASUMountaineer
May 17th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Appalachian should just put their FBS fairy tale books back on the shelf, accept who they are and beg to get into the CAA.

Cool story bro.

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Accept who we are? Who exactly is that?

Your ignorance is matched only by your little man syndrome. Our studies have revealed that what we are is an FBS ready school. It has been proven that we would benefit from a move. You can't dispute that at all, no matter how much green and white paint you huff.

Your fan base is the most classless, transient group of ignorant trolls on the internet. If you're not back here eating you crow when A)We make our FBS move and B)When you lose to most of the FCS teams you play that you've spent the last few years arrogantly bashing as D-2 and unworthy of your presence, you will officially graduate into "bitch of the century" status.

It takes a decade of being an absolute joke to develop the delusional attitude of the UNCc fan.

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Shocking how delusional UTSA, UNC-C, and GaSt fans are. That one of the things I liked about ODU, they never really had a group of posters to completely ruin their fan base. They came in, played hard, and won. They proved themselves on the field. The others just happened to be located in large cities when tv contracts seem to matter.

UNC-C - never played a down
UTSA - lost to a NAIA team
GaSt - best win is against Campbell
ODU - made the playoffs as quick as they possibly could

Saint3333
May 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Losing Charleston would be tough, SoCon basketball and baseball would take a noticeable hit. I'd think that they would not leave unless it is with Davidson, although the loss of VCU/ODU makes the move less attractive from a basketball sense. SoCon is a better baseball conference but if the basketball money is there in the CAA, I'm sure they'd overlook that. Basketball in the SoCon would be absolutely atrocious if Charleston and Davidson bolted, so I'd think the conference would do everything in their power to keep them.

Losing VCU and ODU doesn't make the CAA as a basketball conference as appealing. Travel costs would increase quite a bit for CofC if they moved. I think the CAA would have to expand only to the south with 3 teams to get CofC to come.

ninerID
May 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Accept who we are? Who exactly is that?

Your ignorance is matched only by your little man syndrome. Our studies have revealed that what we are is an FBS ready school. It has been proven that we would benefit from a move. You can't dispute that at all, no matter how much green and white paint you huff.

Your fan base is the most classless, transient group of ignorant trolls on the internet. If you're not back here eating you crow when A)We make our FBS move and B)When you lose to most of the FCS teams you play that you've spent the last few years arrogantly bashing as D-2 and unworthy of your presence.

It takes a decade of being an absolute joke to develop the delusional attitude of the UNCc fan.

Great job, you are FBS Ready according to your own studies. Unfortunately, none of the conferences that are expanding in the area seem to agree.

You guys have dropped faster than an Armanti Edwards punt return attempt.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM
How are App St, GA Southern, Delaware and James Madison not next to move up?

Have to think that the MAC, CUSA and Sun Belt are all eying them and licking their chops.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:41 AM
If ODU wants to wait to move until the 2013-14 season, they're doing the CAA a huge favor.

They should be rewarded by being eligible to win the CAA conference title in any sport and receive any auto-bid to an NCAA post season tournament for the CAA in any sport.

Same goes for GA St.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
If ODU wants to wait to move until the 2013-14 season, they're doing the CAA a huge favor.

They should be rewarded by being eligible to win the CAA conference title in any sport and receive any auto-bid to an NCAA post season tournament for the CAA in any sport.

Same goes for GA St.

They aren't staying the year to do the CAA a favor, they're staying because it's too late to fill out a full football schedule for this coming season if they jump now.

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
What are you talking about? Do you like posting nonsense just so someone will reply?

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Great job, you are FBS Ready according to your own studies. Unfortunately, none of the conferences that are expanding in the area seem to agree.

Ignorance is bliss. Welcome to college football. You will learn eventually, albeit faster if you were smart enough to get into a better school.

Schools are being pouched for media market location first. That's why a glorified community college with no product got the nod. Because CUSA can whore the CUSA logo in your nearby city to the masses, not because you're worth a damn.

When conferences are starting to value strength of program and value of institution, we're gone and we're gone soon. See you on the field, oh wait you won't come up the mountain for the *** whoopin' that the 12 UNCC internet trolls have been begging for.

asumike83
May 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM

If you are so far above Appalachian, why keep posting about us? I'd assume you are intelligent enough to know that realignment is far from over. Teams in big markets got the first call to try for better TV deals, no big surprise. Appalachian will make the FBS move, it is only a matter of time. My only hope is that at some point, we get to settle this on the football field.

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
If you are so far above Appalachian, why keep posting about us? I'd assume you are intelligent enough to know that realignment is far from over. Teams in big markets got the first call to try for better TV deals, no big surprise. Appalachian will make the FBS move, it is only a matter of time.

Why the hell would you assume that? xlolx Have you read his posts/seen where he goes/went to school?

slycat
They aren't staying the year to do the CAA a favor, they're staying because it's too late to fill out a full football schedule for this coming season if they jump now.

Plus getting extra scholarships.

MplsBison

It's still a Mexican standoff. It would hurt ODU, but it would also greatly hurt CAA.

No need for the conference to be childish with the "lame duck" rule.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Good point.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:51 AM

First of all, FBS is only allowed 85 players on scholarship. That's the same as FCS.

Second of all, don't think their total scholarships given would be above 63 for the 2012 season. Budgets have to be approved for next year already by now, I would think.

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
My guess is the Sun Belt will wise up soon enough and add App St. Y'all will come in and continue to play at a high level of success rather quickly. Then that will help position you for future expansion.

ninerID
May 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ignorance is bliss. Welcome to college football. You will learn eventually, albeit faster if you were smart enough to get into a better school.

Schools are being pouched for media market location first. That's why a glorified community college with no product got the nod. Because CUSA can whore the CUSA logo in your nearby city to the masses, not because you're worth a damn.

When conferences are starting to value strength of program and value of institution, we're gone and we're gone soon. See you on the field, oh wait you won't come up the mountain for the *** whoopin' that the 12 UNCC internet trolls have been begging for.
I thought you were in the heart of 3 major media markets?

I understand the reservation about the CAA, early exits at the Rock and all. In front of half full stadiums to boot. I think it's best though.

Anyways, it's almost noon, the good folks at Jason's Deli are looking for tables. Don't tarnish your Appalachian degree like this, bus those tables.

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
First of all, FBS is only allowed 85 players on scholarship. That's the same as FCS.

Second of all, don't think their total scholarships given would be above 63 for the 2012 season. Budgets have to be approved for next year already by now, I would think.

Right that's why I'm saying the extra year helps. Texas St rolled it out over two years to get to 85 scholarships. They have 85 this year going into the WAC. ODU will probably do the same. Recruiting get interesting because there are more holes to fill.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM
My guess is the Sun Belt will wise up soon enough and add App St. Y'all will come in and continue to play at a high level of success rather quickly. Then that will help position you for future expansion.

High level sure, but probably not winning.

Just keep in mind how humbled 2002 national champion Western Kentucky's move to FBS has been.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Right that's why I'm saying the extra year helps. Texas St rolled it out over two years to get to 85 scholarships. They have 85 this year going into the WAC. ODU will probably do the same. Recruiting get interesting because there are more holes to fill.

Got you. Thanks

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I thought you were in the heart of 3 major media markets?

I understand the reservation about the CAA, early exits at the Rock and all. In front of half full stadiums to boot. I think it's best though.

Anyways, it's almost noon, the good folks at Jason's Deli are looking for tables. Don't tarnish your Appalachian degree like this, bus those tables.

Did you just have a stroke? Somebody call this guy a medic! Early exits have to do with 30+ point leads. An understandably unfamiliar idea for you.

We are indeed in the footprint of 3 major markets. Trouble is that Charlie didn't start telling people until a few weeks ago /facepalm.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM

Some of these decisions seem incredibly short sighted.

A school gets a run on the ESPN ticker, a big press conference, and then reality sets in. Hey App fans, what's it going to be like sending the baseball team to a midweek game in San Marcos? Or the volleyball showdown with Old Dominion at Rice?

Too many schools are playing musical chairs with their student-athletes. Montana to the MAC, anyone?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2012, 11:07 AM

A school gets a run on the ESPN ticker, a big press conference, and then reality sets in. Hey App fans, what's it going to be like sending the baseball team to a midweek game in San Marcos? Or the hundreds of fans in the stands waiting for Old Dominion at Rice?

Too many schools are playing musical chairs with their student-athletes. Montana to the MAC, anyone?

+1

ninerID
May 17th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Did you just have a stroke? Somebody call this guy a medic! Early exits have to do with 30+ point leads. An understandably unfamiliar idea for you.

I was referring to CAA's Maine and Villanova.

good memory though.

slycat
May 17th, 2012, 11:11 AM
It will be interesting to see how reality of these choices sets in 5-10 years from now. UTSA has shown for one year that fans will show up no matter who they play. GaSt has struggled to get fans to games for the most part. We will see how that changes playing FBS teams. UNC-C is still a couple years away from playing so that will be interesting too.

I feel like UMass did it ok so far. They have set up good home and homes and didn't send all sports out of the region.

Apphole
May 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I was referring to CAA's Maine and Villanova.

good memory though.

Because we left the playoffs early 2 years? That is pretty sloppy/unclear writing. Anyway, if you think a decade of straight playoff appearances isn't a showing of greatness in itself, perhaps you should not follow UNCC. I can't stress enough the train wreck that's about to befall you.

People, it is ignorance/arrogance like this ^ that makes me confident that UNCC is 1-2 big loses away from having 4 fans in the stands. And you thought you were hemorrhaging money when you were the A-10 doormat....

ASUMountaineer
May 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Obsession with ASU, it is flattering. xhugx

BlueHenSinfonian
May 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how reality of these choices sets in 5-10 years from now. UTSA has shown for one year that fans will show up no matter who they play. GaSt has struggled to get fans to games for the most part. We will see how that changes playing FBS teams. UNC-C is still a couple years away from playing so that will be interesting too.

I feel like UMass did it ok so far. They have set up good home and homes and didn't send all sports out of the region.

The trick for UMass is going to be getting the fans in Amherst to travel all the way out to Foxboro. Off campus stadiums are one thing, an off campus stadium nearly 100 miles away is another. Still, UMass was smart to keep the move Football only, while I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the A-10 being a stronger basketball league than the MAC, it will also keep costs down for non-revenue sports. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Delaware do something similar - find a FBS home for football and keep everything else in the CAA.

superman7515
May 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7941382/old-dominion-monarchs-leaving-colonial-athletic-association-conference-usa

The CAA, which is expected to pursue Charleston and Davidson out of the Southern Conference and possibly Boston University and/or Stony Brook out of the America East, will be left with Drexel, George Mason, Delaware, Northeastern, James Madison, UNC Wilmington, William and Mary, Hofstra and Towson in 2013.

Towson and UNCW are ineligible for the 2013 postseason due to low APR scores but Towson is appealing. If Georgia State and ODU are both barred for leaving, per bylaws, then the conference tournament will have only seven teams eligible in 2013.

boogereagle
May 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think part of the problem is too many fans with D1A twinkles in their eye equate FBS with BCS, when much of FBS is more like FCS than the BCS ... which ought to be called the BSC anyway.

danefan
May 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I wonder where ESPN gets the info on the schools named?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Weird how Coastal Carolina isn't even mentioned at all in the ESPN article.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:35 AM

A school gets a run on the ESPN ticker, a big press conference, and then reality sets in. Hey App fans, what's it going to be like sending the baseball team to a midweek game in San Marcos? Or the volleyball showdown with Old Dominion at Rice?

Are they really short sighted, though?

You gotta think about where this thing is going in 5-10 years. Do you want to be in Tier 2 of college football, or not? You're not guaranteed a seat at that table if you're still in FCS - in my opinion. That's how I see it.

Not that Georgetown has to worry about that. xcoffeex

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM
The trick for UMass is going to be getting the fans in Amherst to travel all the way out to Foxboro. Off campus stadiums are one thing, an off campus stadium nearly 100 miles away is another. Still, UMass was smart to keep the move Football only, while I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the A-10 being a stronger basketball league than the MAC, it will also keep costs down for non-revenue sports. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Delaware do something similar - find a FBS home for football and keep everything else in the CAA.

MAC

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think part of the problem is too many fans with D1A twinkles in their eye equate FBS with BCS, when much of FBS is more like FCS than the BCS ... which ought to be called the BSC anyway.

Doubtful.

I would say most FCS fans know darn well that they're never going to be USC, Texas, Florida or Ohio State.

TheRevSFA
May 17th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Are they really short sighted, though?

You gotta think about where this thing is going in 5-10 years. Do you want to be in Tier 2 of college football, or not? You're not guaranteed a seat at that table if you're still in FCS - in my opinion. That's how I see it.

Not that Georgetown has to worry about that. xcoffeex

The lower FBS schools will realistically revert to "tier 2" as they are have-nots compared to BCS schools.

The BCS effectively said "We will have a playoff, BCS conferences only"

Saint3333
May 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
The CAA isn't looking CCU's way likely due to academics.

I just don't see DC and CofC leaving for the CAA if VCU and ODU aren't there. I'm sure the SoCon leadership could screw that up though.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The lower FBS schools will realistically revert to "tier 2" as they are have-nots compared to BCS schools.

The BCS effectively said "We will have a playoff, BCS conferences only"

Absolutely agree. The question is: do you risk staying in FCS and hope that you'll be included in the tier 2 "from below"?

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
You gotta think about where this thing is going in 5-10 years. Do you want to be in Tier 2 of college football, or not? You're not guaranteed a seat at that table if you're still in FCS - in my opinion. That's how I see it. Not that Georgetown has to worry about that. xcoffeex

So, in your opinion, why isn't Georgetown at the front of the line to do everything in its power to upgrade to I-A football now, quickly, and without delay? Straight to RFK Stadium, 85 scholarships, no questions asked. Should it take a MAC or C-USA offer if the Big East declines? How about the Sun Belt? No time to wait!

Maybe, just maybe, schools like Georgetown, Villanova, Richmond, W&M, etc. have a different view of all this.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM
So, in your opinion, why isn't Georgetown at the front of the line to do everything in its power to upgrade to I-A football now, quickly, and without delay? Straight to RFK Stadium, 85 scholarships, no questions asked. Should it take a MAC or C-USA offer if the Big East declines? How about the Sun Belt? No time to wait!

Maybe, just maybe, schools like Georgetown, Villanova, Richmond, W&M, etc. have a different view of all this.

Because you know full well, just like everyone knows: Georgetown doesn't care about being in the new Tier II. They only care about football enough to say they have a varsity program. The Patriot League, whichever tier that ends up in, is just fine for them.

The really interesting thing is if the new Tier I ends up being a new association independent of the NCAA - then what happens to the MBB tournament and its TV contract? Would NCAA allow those schools to keep non-football sports in the NCAA? If not, and those top BCS schools pull all sports out of the NCAA, I can see the entire Big East getting left behind in the NCAA.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The Patriot League is not "just fine" for Georgetown--see the threads in February.

What do all these quick-steppers like Georgia State, UTSA, Charlotte, ODU, etc. have in common? They're underfunded, second and third tier state schools who want to establish an identity through football. Other sports, other programs don't matter. But no one is ever going to confuse Georgia State for Georgia, or UTSA with UT-Austin.

Then what does Georgetown, Villanova, UR, W&M, et al. share? Prestige? Yes. "Brand recognition"? Sure. These are schools that take a longer view, whose reputation is not formed by athletics but enhanced by it.

William & Mary doesn't need to play FIU or Louisiana Tech to become a great American university, they already are one.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Patriot League is not "just fine" for Georgetown--see the threads in February.

What do all these quick-steppers like Georgia State, UTSA, Charlotte, ODU, etc. have in common? They're underfunded, second and third tier state schools who want to establish an identity through football. Other sports, other programs don't matter. But no one is ever going to confuse Georgia State for Georgia, or UTSA with UT-Austin.

Then what does Georgetown, Villanova, UR, W&M, et al. share? Prestige? Yes. "Brand recognition"? Sure. These are schools that take a longer view, whose reputation is not formed by athletics but enhanced by it.

William & Mary doesn't need to play FIU or Louisiana Tech to become a great American university, they already are one.

So are Emory and Johns Hopkins. (yes I know Hopkins has a team)

My point was that Georgetown shares the same 'utilitarian' viewpoint of college football that the Pioneer schools do. They just want to have a varisty program. Whatever the minimum requirement is to do that, then that's what they'll do. They're not looking to be competitive or have a good team.

G-town might not be happy with the Patriot League, but that surely isn't because the PL isn't competitive enough! The opposite, in fact.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
My point was that Georgetown shares the same 'utilitarian' viewpoint of college football that the Pioneer schools do. They just want to have a varisty program. Whatever the minimum requirement is to do that, then that's what they'll do. They're not looking to be competitive or have a good team.

Frankly there's not a compelling argument right now to be made for spending $5 million a year on Patriot football, any more than adding 60 schoalrships is going to get a I-A game with any local teams (Maryland's AD has barred all of its coaches from scheduling games with Georgetown eff. next year). Well, maybe it could get Georgetown those games Old Dominion dropped three years ago for Norfolk State...

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Frankly there's not a compelling argument right now to be made for spending $5 million a year on Patriot football, any more than adding 60 schoalrships is going to get a I-A game with any local teams (Maryland's AD has barred all of its coaches from scheduling games with Georgetown eff. next year). Well, maybe it could get Georgetown those games Old Dominion dropped three years ago for Norfolk State...

So fine, don't. Join the Pioneer.

As I said, Tier II is not something G-town has to worry about.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Georgetown has no interest in the Pioneer. No offense to our PFL friends out there, but the travel does nothing for the schedule.

Better times ahead, however. So too for Old Dominion if all the pieces come in place.

kdinva
May 17th, 2012, 02:19 PM
OK, it says ODU's first C-USA football season/sked will be 2015........

http://www.odusports.com/genrel/051712aae.html

The football Monarchs will compete this fall as an NCAA FCS member and be eligible to vie for a national championship. FBS reclassification is a two-year process, beginning in the fall of 2013 and concluding in the fall of 2014. Effective 2015, the Monarchs can compete for the C-USA championship and represent the league in bowl games.

So, ODU will play a 1-A/C-USA schedule in 2013 & 2014, but no Conf. championship or Bowl Games, is how I define this.......

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM
OK, it says ODU's first C-USA football season/sked will be 2015........

http://www.odusports.com/genrel/051712aae.html

The football Monarchs will compete this fall as an NCAA FCS member and be eligible to vie for a national championship. FBS reclassification is a two-year process, beginning in the fall of 2013 and concluding in the fall of 2014. Effective 2015, the Monarchs can compete for the C-USA championship and represent the league in bowl games.

So, ODU will play a 1-A/C-USA schedule in 2013 & 2014, but no Conf. championship or Bowl Games, is how I define this.......

Yes. And the strong probability that the CAA won't let them be eligible this year, making it three years of no championships for ODU athletes. They may qualify as at-larges for the playoffs, that's it.

kdinva
May 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Yes. And the strong probability that the CAA won't let them be eligible this year, making it three years of no championships for ODU athletes. They may qualify as at-larges for the playoffs, that's it.

So, someone clarify: ODU football in 2013 & 2014; will they be a 1-AA independent, or a 1-A independent?

GOODY26
May 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
xeyebrowxWell they decided to make the jump.

Tuscon
May 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
So, someone clarify: ODU football in 2013 & 2014; will they be a 1-AA independent, or a 1-A independent?

2013/2014 they play in the CUSA, but are ineligible for championships and bowl games. Not independent.

tribe_pride
May 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
And in 2012-13 ODU will play in the CAA but just not eligible for the conference championship

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
What's the prognosis on Foreman Field? The WPA-era design does not lend itself to expansion.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/30136947/MC%203501_medium.jpeg

kdinva
May 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
And in 2012-13 ODU will play in the CAA but just not eligible for the conference championship

I think Mr. Selig will "appeal" that, one time.

and thanks for clarifying ODU FB's status for 2013 & 2014. 1-A it is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
What's the prognosis on Foreman Field? The WPA-era design does not lend itself to expansion.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/30136947/MC%203501_medium.jpeg

IMO, Northwestern's Ryan Field would be the best model to use when it comes to expansion.

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Big10/Northwestern/aerial.jpg

apaladin
May 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Looks like CAA is looking to become a basketball league. Sporting News radio just reported that they are going after CofC(no FB) and Davidson(non-scholly FB).

NHwildEcat
May 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like CAA is looking to become a basketball league. Sporting News radio just reported that they are going after CofC(no FB) and Davidson(non-scholly FB).

Sure...that is probably their starting point because basketball has taken the biggest hit. Those schools leaving does nothing to harm the strength of football to this point. There will be movement in football too..just a matter of time.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Georgetown has no interest in the Pioneer. No offense to our PFL friends out there, but the travel does nothing for the schedule.

Better times ahead, however. So too for Old Dominion if all the pieces come in place.

Better times...as a low scholarship equivalency, FCS independent? Or do you think the NEC will take you?

eaglewraith
May 17th, 2012, 09:12 PM

If they haven't filed reclassification paperwork by June 1 (which to become a CUSA member starting 2015 then they do it next year) then they will be eligible for NCAA post season play and I'm making an assumption about the CAA bylaws but they should be eligible to win the CAA as well.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Sure...that is probably their starting point because basketball has taken the biggest hit. Those schools leaving does nothing to harm the strength of football to this point. There will be movement in football too..just a matter of time.

Wonder if the CAA is going after Davidson/CofC first so not to scare them off with the addition of SBU or some other northern school. I say this because my understanding is that CofC rejected the CAA last time because of travel expense concerns. This time, get them in the conference and then "expand" northward (seeing that a NY school is already in the conference adding SBU isn't really much of an "expansion").

NHwildEcat
May 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wonder if the CAA is going after Davidson/CofC first so not to scare them off with the addition of SBU or some other northern school. I say this because my understanding is that CofC rejected the CAA last time because of travel expense concerns. This time, get them in the conference and then "expand" northward (seeing that a NY school is already in the conference adding SBU isn't really much of an "expansion").

You may very well be right. It comes down to strategy at this point...I would hope the CAA is bright enough to seek more than the number of teams they lost...they should be thinking about expansion...not sure replacement.

superman7515
May 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM
ODU Seeks Home In CAA For Sports Not Sponsored By C-USA (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-college-roundup-20120524,0,1380902.story)

Old Dominion and Colonial Athletic Association officials on Friday are scheduled to discuss the future homes of four Monarchs programs that cannot compete in Conference USA, because C-USA does not sponsor those sports: wrestling, field hockey, women’s lacrosse and men’s swimming.

Friday’s discussions will be to gauge the possibility of permitting those programs to remain in the CAA as affiliate members. Wrestling is the only one of the four for which the CAA has affiliate members.

ODU athletic director Wood Selig said a resolution for all four programs may not come until later in the summer.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
ODU Seeks Home In CAA For Sports Not Sponsored By C-USA (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-college-roundup-20120524,0,1380902.story)

Whoops.

Wresting could end up in EIWA. But the Monarchs need a home for field hockey and women's lax, and they can't disband them under any circumstances.

dgtw
May 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM
They could join this league for women's lacrosse.

http://www.nlclacrosse.com/

Or this one.

http://www.americanlacrosseconference.org/

superman7515
May 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Whoops.

Wresting could end up in EIWA. But the Monarchs need a home for field hockey and women's lax, and they can't disband them under any circumstances.

Wrestling will get cut. It always does. xnonono2x

alvinkayak6
May 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
it's called getting title 9'ed

dgtw
May 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Wrestling will get cut. It always does. xnonono2x

Sadly, I fear you are correct. Another nail in the coffin of collegiate wrestling, with Title IX swinging the hammer.

Monarch History
May 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
This subject was discussed by Dave Fairbanks of the Daily Press. In the article Fairbank's discusses the issue of no wrestling in CUSA and what that will mean for ODU. Here's what he wrote in his article. “Since ODU announced the switch May 17, wrestling coach Steve Martin not only has pondered the Monarchs’ next move, he has had to assure wrestlers, recruits, parents and fans that the program will still exist.
Rival message boards and social media chatter floated the idea that the program might be shut down because of the conference move, or that it might be a Title IX casualty as the Monarchs add football scholarships due to their jump to Football Bowl Subdivision status.
“I’ve had to put out some brushfires,” Martin said. “Some people think that because you’re going to a conference that doesn’t have wrestling, that you’re dropping the program. Wrestling’s not a mainstream sport. People don’t understand that the majority of wrestling schools are affiliate members.”
Indeed, because most conferences don’t sponsor wrestling, 41 of the NCAA’s 77 Division I programs are affiliate members of various leagues and collectives. Three of the CAA’s seven wrestling schools are affiliate members that compete in other leagues in all of their other sports: Binghamton, Rider and Boston U.
ODU wrestling is plenty healthy. The school has sunk money into a new practice facility, coaches’ salaries are up, and funding streams have increased. The Monarchs were in and out of the national rankings last season and schedule nationally. They landed a school-record seven wrestlers in the NCAA meet. They signed a second consecutive top-20 recruiting class, and Martin expects to have his best and deepest team in nine years next season.
“When it all shakes out, we’re going to be fine,” he said.”

hidalgo
May 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
A little off the subject but the first game is at home against Duquesne TBA..........any idea on what time u would guess they will play???

fatmonarch
May 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
7pm... Historically odu plays their first few games at night. If tv picks it up it may be different.

dgtw
May 28th, 2012, 09:03 PM
This subject was discussed by Dave Fairbanks of the Daily Press. In the article Fairbank's discusses the issue of no wrestling in CUSA and what that will mean for ODU. Here's what he wrote in his article. “Since ODU announced the switch May 17, wrestling coach Steve Martin not only has pondered the Monarchs’ next move, he has had to assure wrestlers, recruits, parents and fans that the program will still exist.
Rival message boards and social media chatter floated the idea that the program might be shut down because of the conference move, or that it might be a Title IX casualty as the Monarchs add football scholarships due to their jump to Football Bowl Subdivision status.
“I’ve had to put out some brushfires,” Martin said. “Some people think that because you’re going to a conference that doesn’t have wrestling, that you’re dropping the program. Wrestling’s not a mainstream sport. People don’t understand that the majority of wrestling schools are affiliate members.”
Indeed, because most conferences don’t sponsor wrestling, 41 of the NCAA’s 77 Division I programs are affiliate members of various leagues and collectives. Three of the CAA’s seven wrestling schools are affiliate members that compete in other leagues in all of their other sports: Binghamton, Rider and Boston U.
ODU wrestling is plenty healthy. The school has sunk money into a new practice facility, coaches’ salaries are up, and funding streams have increased. The Monarchs were in and out of the national rankings last season and schedule nationally. They landed a school-record seven wrestlers in the NCAA meet. They signed a second consecutive top-20 recruiting class, and Martin expects to have his best and deepest team in nine years next season.
“When it all shakes out, we’re going to be fine,” he said.”

Glad to hear that. Do you have any idea what cuts might be made or what women's sport might be added?

Chisox17
May 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
lol.. I love when the Appy's get riled up. That June 1 deadline is getting mighty close..

Apphole
May 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
lol.. I love when the Appy's get riled up. That June 1 deadline is getting mighty close..

FYI, if we don't make an announcement before the deadline, we still have a full year to make such an announcement, have a transition year and play a full FBS schedule before UNCc does.

It's easy to talk with nothing but "potential."

Chisox17
May 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM
FYI, if we don't make an announcement before the deadline, we still have a full year to make such an announcement, have a transition year and play a full FBS schedule before UNCc does.

It's easy to talk with nothing but "potential."

I'll be sure to congradulate you when and IF that happens. So far though, no FBS conference wants anything to do with App.

Apphole
May 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'll be sure to congradulate you when and IF that happens. So far though, no FBS conference wants anything to do with App.

False.

You don't go inviting schools when you aren't absolutely sure they will accept.

ninerID
May 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
False.

You don't go inviting schools when you aren't absolutely sure they will accept.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
What FBS conference has thought about inviting you but not sure you would join?

The Friends of Idaho Conference?

asumike83
May 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Neither you or I know that for sure. What I do know, however, is that it is far from a certainty that we would have accepted a Sun Belt offer. I would have supported it but we have some alumni/donors who do not want to join the Sun Belt and money talks. Add GA Southern in the mix and that changes things but they are not quite ready yet.

Cobb has not exactly degraded the SBC but has been very, very clear where he wants to go. Hard to say what the outcome would have been if we made a hard push for the SBC but there is no way they'd go out on a limb for someone who has not expressed any public interest in membership. He has said he wants Appalachian in C-USA. When asked about the Sun Belt, "we are exploring all options". Not exactly the response you'd expect from an AD who is clamoring for membership.

App is in a tough spot, no two ways about it. Fair or not, if a moratorium comes around and we are left stranded, Charlie better brush up his resume. I really do not think it will come to that.

Apphole
May 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SBC, WAC and/or MAC.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Apparently some big Delaware Football announcement coming in August:

http://www.facebook.com/DelawareBlueHens

Is it a move to FBS? Is it the release of the major stadium renovations to prepare for an eventual move to FBS? Is it something silly and anticlimactic? Time will tell.

DFW HOYA
May 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Is it a move to FBS? Is it the release of the major stadium renovations to prepare for an eventual move to FBS? Is it something silly and anticlimactic? Time will tell.

Probably YouDee's new outfit.

MplsBison
May 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Can't be conference related. Anything having to do with that topic is atomic, white hot right now - it would leak well before August.

SpiritCymbal
May 29th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Apparently some big Delaware Football announcement coming in August:

http://www.facebook.com/DelawareBlueHens

Or just the start of fall practice to signify the beginning of the season. Fall practice typically starts about 4 weeks prior to the beginning of the season.

ASUMountaineer
May 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM

"So far." Time will tell what happens for ASU. Unfortunately, real estate is not our thing...we're having to do it a different way.

ASUMountaineer
May 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You sure do love you some App State.

Rekdiver
May 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Drove throught the UNC-C campus the other day. Now I know where my tax dollars have been going. Pretty impressive academic buildings but not enough student housing to create the atmosphere of a college campus. Reminds me of CPCC. I've always said that Charlotte would be the ACC's worst nightmare if they got a football team.........I think if Judy Rose hadn't been so arrogant she would have recognized the benefit of lobbying for ASU to join the CUSA conference instead of a campaign of trying to keep us out. ( I know for a fact she did this because we wouldn't schedule them to a home and home for just football) It would have been an instant rivalry that would draw both TV viewers and put butts in the seats.

91Niner
May 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Drove throught the UNC-C campus the other day. Now I know where my tax dollars have been going. Pretty impressive academic buildings but not enough student housing to create the atmosphere of a college campus. Reminds me of CPCC. I've always said that Charlotte would be the ACC's worst nightmare if they got a football team.........I think if Judy Rose hadn't been so arrogant she would have recognized the benefit of lobbying for ASU to join the CUSA conference instead of a campaign of trying to keep us out. ( I know for a fact she did this because we wouldn't schedule them to a home and home for just football) It would have been an instant rivalry that would draw both TV viewers and put butts in the seats.

The comment about Rose is 100% not true and as for the campus housing, you obviously didn't know what you were looking at IF you actually went through our campus. Charlotte actually has a larger number of students living on campus than does App State. App has a higher %, but Charlotte has more in total.

49RFootballNow
May 30th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Charlotte has 7000 beds on campus, has 29 dormitory buildings plus 10 on-campus apartment buildings, and is building two new 300 bed dorms as we speak. Pretty sure that's consistant with most universities our size. Charlotte's dorms are at 100% capacity, and have been since the mid-1990's. 65% of our students live within 2 miles of campus.

Everything in yellow below is dorms:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w476/Stanton49/Campus2012.jpg

I think if Judy Rose hadn't been so arrogant she would have recognized the benefit of lobbying for ASU to join the CUSA conference instead of a campaign of trying to keep us out. ( I know for a fact she did this because we wouldn't schedule them to a home and home for just football) It would have been an instant rivalry that would draw both TV viewers and put butts in the seats.

None of this happened.

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
None of this happened.

I actually heard quite the opposite as well, that Appalachian was getting strong support from within C-USA from ECU, Marshall, ODU and Charlotte. Not sure how accurate it is but it came from a writer up in WV that covers Marshall. Don't have the link off hand but I think it was the Charleston Gazette.

91Niner
May 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I actually heard quite the opposite as well, that Appalachian was getting strong support from within C-USA from ECU, Marshall, ODU and Charlotte. Not sure how accurate it is but it came from a writer up in WV that covers Marshall. Don't have the link off hand but I think it was the Charleston Gazette.

Be careful Mike, this doesn't fit the "AppFan" storyline of Charlotte being out to "screw" App State. Your fellow App fans may dis-own you.

91Niner
May 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Charlotte has 7000 beds on campus, has 29 dormitory buildings plus 10 on-campus apartment buildings, and is building two new 300 bed dorms as we speak. Pretty sure that's consistant with most universities our size. Charlotte's dorms are at 100% capacity, and have been since the mid-1990's. 65% of our students live within 2 miles of campus.

Everything in yellow below is dorms:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w476/Stanton49/Campus2012.jpg

None of this happened.

Actually that map cuts out some on-campus dorms (ie; including the entire Greek Village).

49RFootballNow
May 30th, 2012, 01:58 PM
The Greek Village is on there, far right.

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Be careful Mike, this doesn't fit the "AppFan" storyline of Charlotte being out to "screw" App State. Your fellow App fans may dis-own you.

Ha, I hope not! I think I've built up some good karma with my fellow Mountaineers over the years. :D

I'll be honest, I hate the shift realignment has taken to TV markets. I do think we got screwed by that and if we were trying to make this move 10 years ago, the process would have been quick and easy.

While it is frustrating to see Charlotte, GA State, UTSA, etc. get invites with start-up programs, it's not like they were out to get us. What are they supposed to do, say "no thanks, please invite Appalachian first"?

We're in a tough spot and sometimes that is just how it goes. The way I see it, we've got time to get to where we want to be and I believe we will get there. In the meantime, I've got a great team to support and a solid schedule on tap. I refuse to let all this conference realignment suck the joy out of ASU football.

WH49er
May 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
While it is frustrating to see Charlotte, GA State, UTSA, etc. get invites with start-up programs, it's not like they were out to get us. What are they supposed to do, say "no thanks, please invite Appalachian first"?

We're in a tough spot and sometimes that is just how it goes. The way I see it, we've got time to get to where we want to be and I believe we will get there. In the meantime, I've got a great team to support and a solid schedule on tap. I refuse to let all this conference realignment suck the joy out of ASU football.

This is why Mike is one of the good Appys on here xthumbsupx

WUTNDITWAA
May 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM

I've heard that, too. It was from someone I didn't believe when he told me that ASU wouldn't get in on this round of expansion, so I've learned to trust him. However, it's fun to smack back and forth with the UNCC fans, so I really don't want this getting out. xsmiley_wix

49RFootballNow
May 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've heard that, too. It was from someone I didn't believe when he told me that ASU wouldn't get in on this round of expansion, so I've learned to trust him. However, it's fun to smack back and forth with the UNCC fans, so I really don't want this getting out. xsmiley_wix

I too enjoy the Smack, and just cause you asked nice, here you go:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w476/Stanton49/3pdnbz.jpg

ASUMountaineer
May 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM

By "AppFan" if you mean the blog...you're spot on. That place is nuts. I don't think UNCC is out to screw ASU from moving up to FBS. That seems like a ridiculous notion.

Apphole
May 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nowadays, Appfan.com has just as many UNCC trolls posting as ASU fans. The ease and anonymity of posting has really hurt the sites credibility as far the comments/forum goes. They need to set up a separate forum requiring registration with threads and mods to stay on topic like CS.com or the new Appstatenation.

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
By "AppFan" if you mean the blog...you're spot on. That place is nuts. I don't think UNCC is out to screw ASU from moving up to FBS. That seems like a ridiculous notion.

They really need to require people to start registering before you comment over there. I've stopped reading the comments for the most part, utter insanity.

I'm with you, why would UNCC, ECU, ODU or MU not want us there? Cuts travel costs for everyone and creates rivalries. I think people just get confused between what fans on message boards think and what the actual leaders think. A regionalized conference with solid rivals benefits all parties involved.

WUTNDITWAA
May 30th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I too enjoy the Smack, and just cause you asked nice, here you go:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w476/Stanton49/3pdnbz.jpg

xlolx xsmileyclapx xsalutex

Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to do memes. That's hilarious.

MplsBison
May 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
That picture could also just be a good meme of the south in general.

"I wuh standin' over der yonder....n' up n' come out from no-where, I seen it!"

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
xlolx xsmileyclapx xsalutex

Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to do memes. That's hilarious.

It is addicting: http://www.memecreator.org

Here's one for you!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lLDMhzkJNu8/T8Z_umx8d-I/AAAAAAAAAEA/1rF-AdAArLY/s1600/Western+meme.jpg

Apphole
May 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Yeah, because we all talk like that.

Go eat some lutefisk you Canadian commie douche

Apphole
May 30th, 2012, 03:19 PM
It is addicting: http://www.memecreator.org

Here's one for you!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lLDMhzkJNu8/T8Z_umx8d-I/AAAAAAAAAEA/1rF-AdAArLY/s1600/Western+meme.jpgxbowx

Do you mind if I tweet this?

WUTNDITWAA
May 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM
They really need to require people to start registering before you comment over there. I've stopped reading the comments for the most part, utter insanity.

I'm with you, why would UNCC, ECU, ODU or MU not want us there? Cuts travel costs for everyone and creates rivalries. I think people just get confused between what fans on message boards think and what the actual leaders think. A regionalized conference with solid rivals benefits all parties involved.

There are around 11,000,000 people in North Carolina. Those schools realize that if you add ASU, all three separate and very distinct regions would be covered. The schools outside of the Southeast are too far away to see that. The only two football schools in NC, partnered with one that has a shiny and new program on a honeymoon period? It's a win for C-USA. I can only hope that becomes apparent, and soon.

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AFVu0NPpanw/T8aA_cTrFxI/AAAAAAAAAEI/HQKGgusCOew/s400/fargo.jpg

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
xbowx

Do you mind if I tweet this?

No problem, tweet away!

asumike83
May 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
There are around 11,000,000 people in North Carolina. Those schools realize that if you add ASU, all three separate and very distinct regions would be covered. The schools outside of the Southeast are too far away to see that. The only two football schools in NC, partnered with one that has a shiny and new program on a honeymoon period? It's a win for C-USA. I can only hope that becomes apparent, and soon.

... and back to the topic at hand. Completely agree, all we can do is hope at this point!

91Niner
May 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The Greek Village is on there, far right.

Not on the image showing for me. It cuts off at the outside edge of East deck 2

49RFootballNow
May 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Not on the image showing for me. It cuts off at the outside edge of East deck 2

Either there's a scroll bar under the picture you're not seeing, or your settings suck.

91Niner
May 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Either there's a scroll bar under the picture you're not seeing, or your settings suck.

Scroll bar wasn't showing on my other computer.

dgtw
May 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Who is that in the picture pointing at the WAC banner?

I know ECU and Marshall had been wanting more eastern teams in C-USA. So they lose two Texas teams and replace them with two more Texas teams. Memphis is replaced by La Tech. UCF is replaced by a school in Miami.

The two other new teams are an FCS call up (albeit a pretty good one) and a team that does not yet exist. Way to help out in the east.

asucrutch23
May 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
Who is that in the picture pointing at the WAC banner?

I know ECU and Marshall had been wanting more eastern teams in C-USA. So they lose two Texas teams and replace them with two more Texas teams. Memphis is replaced by La Tech. UCF is replaced by a school in Miami.

The two other new teams are an FCS call up (albeit a pretty good one) and a team that does not yet exist. Way to help out in the east.

ASU AD Charlie Cobb

ASUMountaineer
May 31st, 2012, 08:10 AM

The leaders of these universities don't have the luxury of being fans on anonymous message boards like we do. They have to be objective and pragmatic in making decisions that are in the best interests of their respective schools. You don't get those types of positions by being rash, petty, and emotional.