PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Renewed - let the firestorm begin!

Professor Chaos
May 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/361015/

GRAND FORKS - The heated rivalry between the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State football teams has been on hold since 2003.

The nine-year drought appears to have an end in sight.

On Wednesday afternoon, UND athletic director Brian Faison said the two rivals have tentative dates to renew the series, beginning in Fargo in 2015 and then returning to Grand Forks in 2017

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM
http://assetsus1.wordansassets.com/wordansfiles/images/2008/5/16/6397/6397_340.jpg?1258088400

Humorous side note: See my signature xlolx

344Johnson
May 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Soo....what are the chances this thread hits 5,000 posts?

JSUBison
May 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Nothing new here. Faison still thinking he can get a game in Grand Forks every other year. Not gonna happen.

dmksioux
May 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
:):)
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/361015/

About damn time...UND by 13 in Fargo and 17 in GF xnodx xsmiley_wix

NoDak 4 Ever
May 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Every time they call me for a donation I say "I'll write a check when the Sioux games come back".

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
At least there will be something to play for....PLAYOFFS!!!! Both teams should be on pretty even ground since NDSU will have been full DI members since 2008 and UND since 2012. I hope there is a NO buyout clause.xsmiley_wix

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
:):)

About damn time...UND by 13 in Fargo and 17 in GF xnodx xsmiley_wix

Whioux fans are adorable.

http://www.astroturfusa.com/Images/News/NDSU2011Champions.png

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Whioux fans are adorable.

http://www.astroturfusa.com/Images/News/NDSU2011Champions.png

UND has only lost 1 game in the Alerus Center South..or what you guys call the Fargodome (5-1), and UND has never lost to NDSU at the Alerus Center (2-0).

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
UND has only lost 1 game in the Alerus Center South..or what you guys call the Fargodome (5-1), and UND has never lost to NDSU at the Alerus Center (2-0).

The times, they are a changin'

344Johnson
May 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
At least there will be something to play for....PLAYOFFS!!!! Both teams should be on pretty even ground since NDSU will have been full DI members since 2008 and UND since 2012. I hope there is a NO buyout clause.xsmiley_wix

I was going to say I hope NDSU buys out the 2nd game....but then I realized that people in Grand Forks haven't seen quality football in a very long time. The least we could do for them is bring our team up there to show them what football looks like.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
The times, they are a changin'

All I can say is I cannot wait. I may be the only UND fan in my family at the game but it will be a fun time!!!

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I was going to say I hope NDSU buys out the 2nd game....but then I realized that people in Grand Forks haven't seen quality football in a very long time. The least we could do for them is bring our team up there to show them what football looks like.

Its been a long time since NDSU had a quality football team.:D

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Every time they call me for a donation I say "I'll write a check when the Sioux games come back".

THAT is voting with your dollars at it's essence.xthumbsupx

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM
THAT is voting with your dollars at it's essence.xthumbsupx

Indeed it is, and it's his right. I just seems like a strange concept to me. Almost like caring more about the other team than your own.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM
So fast forward to 2017....after the NDSU at UND game. Does this series continue every other year, and does the Nickel Trophy make a comeback.

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM
So fast forward to 2017....after the NDSU at UND game. Does this series continue every other year, and does the Nickel Trophy make a comeback.

My guess is it will be every other year with a few 3 or 4 year dry spells. I hope the nickel comes back, but I doubt it will. Something about a nickname...

NoDak 4 Ever
May 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Indeed it is, and it's his right. I just seems like a strange concept to me. Almost like caring more about the other team than your own.

I have hated this whole thing the whole time. Roger Thomas was a gigantic pussy in calling off the series but this whole NDSU big-timing everyone is pissing me off as well. Do you think Lehigh and Lafayette would call off their series for anything? Even closer to home Montana and Montana State. I'm even jealous of USD and SDSU because now they're in the same conference they get to play one another.

I was born and raised in Fargo and graduated from NDSU. That rivalry meant something that will never come back. You can keep the Gopher games, UNI, or whatever. I will always miss the Bison/Sioux games.

I put my money where my mouth is, I saw 3 Bison games in person last year and I live 1000 miles from Fargo.

Ginsbach
May 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM

With the current size of both the MVFC and the Big Sky, I don't see it happening. When you only have 3 OOC games, it's tough to justify permanently devoting a game to the NDSU/UND games.

DJKyR0
May 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Both teams should be on pretty even ground since NDSU will have been full DI members since 2008 and UND since 2012.

Except, you know, that whole championship thing NDSU went and won last season.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
With the current size of both the MVFC and the Big Sky, I don't see it happening. When you only have 3 OOC games, it's tough to justify permanently devoting a game to the NDSU/UND games.

I hope they leave it at every other year or so. With the South Dakota teams in a different conference it would be nice to play both of them (maybe in the same season). You are right we have only 3 OOC games and yes NDSU is the big one but a variety is nice too.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Except, you know, that whole championship thing NDSU went and won last season.

That was 2011 are you saying NDSU will win a title every year until 2015? The only players from that 2011 title team that would play in 2015 would be if they were redshirt Freshman.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwbop13A9yQ

This makes me want to fast forward time to 2015!!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Well I think you are looking short sighted then. This is a game that even on the road is a close game to make it to. it's a D1 opponent. When it is at home then your school, and the Fargo community both reap the financial rewards and help the budget out.

it's gonna be the most expensive ticket every year, it's gonna be sold out, and there will be a lot more money spent in Fargo than any other team you could possible host in FCS. On top of all of that a loss doesn't take away from your conference record.

It's not about helping out the other school as much as it is about doing what helps both out. Financially supporting that and the proper way of going about things seems fairly wise to me.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Well I think you are looking short sighted then. This is a game that even on the road is a close game to make it to. it's a D1 opponent. When it is at home then your school, and the Fargo community both reap the financial rewards and help the budget out.

it's gonna be the most expensive ticket every year, it's gonna be sold out, and there will be a lot more money spent in Fargo than any other team you could possible host in FCS. On top of all of that a loss doesn't take away from your conference record.

It's not about helping out the other school as much as it is about doing what helps both out. Financially supporting that and the proper way of going about things seems fairly wise to me.

Both teams have to agree on one thing....it counts as a DI win. Which is required to make the playoffs. UND could actually face NDSU in the playoffs this season and wouldn't that be a nice preview of this rival. Of course a lot has to happen...UND having a good football season would be step one, and most likely (99.999% sure) it will be in Fargo.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Not to mention people watched that game from all over the state. Not just Mayville and Hillsboro, but Minot, Dickinson, Linton, Cooperstown, Cogswell, New Rockford.....you name it. If you're under 30 you may not understand but this was, in the immortal words of Joe Biden a "big ****in deal".

Ginsbach
May 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Not to mention people watched that game from all over the state. Not just Mayville and Hillsboro, but Minot, Dickinson, Linton, Cooperstown, Cogswell, New Rockford.....you name it. If you're under 30 you may not understand but this was, in the immortal words of Joe Biden a "big ****in deal".

As someone under 30 who grew up in Hankinson, North Dakota, I understand the immensity of the game. For what it's worth, during my time at NDSU (2006 to 2011) the "On the plains of North Dakota..." cheer was said at every football game. The passion is still there.

344Johnson
May 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM

NDSU charges the same price for all of its games.

darell1976
May 16th, 2012, 06:48 PM

While UND charges higher for "special" games...2012 higher prices for Montana, and for NAU (Homecomming).

NoDak 4 Ever
May 16th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I remember if you didn't have a ticket, you rarely paid face value for one....if someone would even sell it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM

Ok then, the average ticket price for the seasons with the home games go up a little. BTW, that ain't gonna last long if you start to have a hot ticket and sell out all the time. No matter how it is presented the revenue to the school will increase in the form of the tickets...count on that.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
It was guaranteed to happen eventually.

Good. Even if it's not every year alternating home and home, as it should be. I'll take it over nothing.

Win-win-win, for both schools and most importantly for the state of ND.

Hopefully by 2015 all the old timer NDSU fans with spittle flying from their mouths while they screamed at monitors will have had some of the starch taken out of them and just accept it, rather than fight it.

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM

I completely understand what the game means. I'm over 30, NDSU alum, and lived in ND all my life but I haven't restricted my support of the Bison because the game was absent.

...and when the game resumes, I'll be there.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I completely understand what the game means. I'm over 30, NDSU alum, and lived in ND all my life but I haven't restricted my support of the Bison because the game was absent.

As I said you would.

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
...in 2009.

...and I'll be there because I have season tickets, no other reason. I'll have to see about the away games. Bismarck to Fargo is pretty good haul each week and it's nice to have time to get some stuff done around the house on the off weeks.

MplsBison
May 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
...in 2009.

...and I'll be there because I have season tickets, no other reason. I'll have to see about the away games. Bismarck to Fargo is pretty good haul each week and it's nice to have time to get some stuff done around the house on the off weeks.

I will still claim victory.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Some don't. It's blind support that allows some to not do what the (some) fans want. Luckily, not everyone does that as it provides little feedback. If it doesn't mean anything to the consumer then by all means you should not hold back anything you would have given.

I would guarantee you that I would have provided UM with feedback had a decision been made to move to the WAC.

No_Skill
May 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I will still claim victory.

Man, you continue to make a case for yourself being a sioux fan.

Professor Chaos
May 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM
This game will have a different feel and a different type of intensity than any game the Fargodome has seen or will see in the D1 era up until when it is played. I'm not saying it will be bigger than the playoff games or the UNI game was last year but it'll be a wholly different type of electricity in the dome. I'm not one of the Bison fans who tries to act like I haven't been looking forward to seeing UND back on the schedule. It will be one of the bigger games this storied rivalry has ever seen based on the tribulations both schools have gone through since the last meeting. The players and students may not share that sentiment now but the closer we get to that day in the fall of 2015 the more they'll begin to realize the sheer intensity of this rivalry. It may have been hibernating for a few years but it's going to awaken with a roar.

Twentysix
May 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM

I heard by playing the game in grand forks we get a million bucks off our taxes. Something about being charity.*

*I didn't really hear that.

DJKyR0
May 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
That was 2011 are you saying NDSU will win a title every year until 2015?

I'm saying that recruiting and raising scholarship dollars for a football program are a lot easier when you've got an autobid-conference championship, five FBS wins and a D-I national title under your belt, none of which UND has. If they can match that before 2015, the programs will be closer to equal footing.

Bogus Megapardus
May 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I've forgotten - which of these two is the North Dakota "flagship" university?

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I have hated this whole thing the whole time. Roger Thomas was a gigantic pussy in calling off the series but this whole NDSU big-timing everyone is pissing me off as well. Do you think Lehigh and Lafayette would call off their series for anything? Even closer to home Montana and Montana State. I'm even jealous of USD and SDSU because now they're in the same conference they get to play one another.

I was born and raised in Fargo and graduated from NDSU. That rivalry meant something that will never come back. You can keep the Gopher games, UNI, or whatever. I will always miss the Bison/Sioux games.

I put my money where my mouth is, I saw 3 Bison games in person last year and I live 1000 miles from Fargo.

Lehigh/Lafayette is a conference game, in the same division. This game is just another non-conference game, like a game with Sam Houston or Weber St. I like variety, home and home every 5 years would be nice.

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Minot St in the magic city ;)

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette is a conference game, in the same division. This game is just another non-conference game, like a game with Sam Houston or Weber St. I like variety, home and home every 5 years would be nice.
In the standings it may be just another non-conference game but it'll mean a lot more than that to most people in the stands and my guess is that feeling will permeate down to the players on the field as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
2015 will give UND some time to recruit better. A game this year or next would be a complete Bison beatdown.

Frankly, I could care less if the game was ever played again but it is probably a good thing for the state as a whole.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Both teams have to agree on one thing....it counts as a DI win. Which is required to make the playoffs. UND could actually face NDSU in the playoffs this season and wouldn't that be a nice preview of this rival. Of course a lot has to happen...UND having a good football season would be step one, and most likely (99.999% sure) it will be in Fargo.

I think UND's chances of making the playoffs this year is pretty slim to none. More than likely it will take 8 wins this year to make the playoffs and looking at UND's schedule I don't see that happening. If it happened this year it would be a good game to see.

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
THERE IS NO GAME, THERE MIGHT NOT EVER BE A GAME, GENE TAYLOR GOT THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND IS PISSED OFF!!

Dear _____

it's not been something actively nor recently discussed, for some time, between either the involved athletic directors or presidents. In fact, given the unsure league affiliation future for UND, it would for the time being seem impractical to further consider.

Dean L. Bresciani, President

THIS GAME DOES NOTHING FOR NDSU, NOTHING AT ALL, AN AWAY GAME COSTS THEM $400,000-$500,000, WE WILL BE FBS BY 2015.

NODAK 4 ever Every time they call me for a donation I say "I'll write a check when the Sioux games come back".

I DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE, I SAID ILL DONATE MORE IF YOU KEEP THEM OFF THE SCHEDULE!! & GIVE THEM $1000.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I think UND's chances of making the playoffs this year is pretty slim to none. More than likely it will take 8 wins this year to make the playoffs and looking at UND's schedule I don't see that happening. If it happened this year it would be a good game to see.

Thats why I put step one being a good football season. 8 wins is pretty out there even if UND were to win its home games that would be 5 DI wins and to come up with 3 on the road isn't impossible but San Diego State (nope), Montana State (nope) Eastern Washington (maybe), Sac State and UNC are the ones I think UND has the best at beating on the road. That would be 7 so its not in UND's favor but then again after going 3-8 in 2010 no one thought sharing a conference title the following year was going to happen and it did.

BisonBacker
May 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
And everytime I talk to Gene I tell him I'll keep writing the checks and don't put those F##KERS on any schedule of ours.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm saying that recruiting and raising scholarship dollars for a football program are a lot easier when you've got an autobid-conference championship, five FBS wins and a D-I national title under your belt, none of which UND has. If they can match that before 2015, the programs will be closer to equal footing.

They have an autobid-conference (Big Sky), zero FBS wins (but so does South Dakota State so totally irrelivant), zero DI National Titles (which couldn't be done until Jan 2013 at the earliest). So again I don't see where those facts are relivant when deciding if these teams are going to be on even ground. Look what happened in other sports, UND beat NDSU in volleyball and basketball are you telling me they are on even ground in those two sports? NDSU playing UND from 2008-2011 would be total domination by the Bison as UND was transitioning but in 2015 UND's starting QB could be Junior QB Joe Mollberg (RS this season). UND's recruiting has gotten a lot better, and once this nickname issue is put to bed which I can only imagine will be resolved by 2015 recruiting will be a lot tighter between the two schools. NDSU could have 3 losing seasons between now and 2015, and UND could win 3 National Titles between now and 2015, you don't know until you play the game. Just look at what YSU did to NDSU in 2011...just proves anyone is beatable.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
THERE IS NO GAME, THERE MIGHT NOT EVER BE A GAME, GENE TAYLOR GOT THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND IS PISSED OFF!!

Dear _____

it's not been something actively nor recently discussed, for some time, between either the involved athletic directors or presidents. In fact, given the unsure league affiliation future for UND, it would for the time being seem impractical to further consider.

THIS GAME DOES NOTHING FOR NDSU, NOTHING AT ALL, AN AWAY GAME COSTS THEM $400,000-$500,000, WE WILL BE FBS BY 2015.

NODAK 4 ever Every time they call me for a donation I say "I'll write a check when the Sioux games come back".

I DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE, I SAID ILL DONATE MORE IF YOU KEEP THEM OFF THE SCHEDULE!! & GIVE THEM $1000.

Someday you will realize that nobody gives a **** about North Dakota and we all have to stick together. I don't expect you to understand Goldy, being a Minnesotan and all.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Dear _____

Here is an article for you:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63709/

The biggest attraction of moving up to Division 1-A is the lure of playing in a bowl game and receiving national media attention, but Bresciani, who has seen what the top bowl games can do for a program, says there's a big downside to moving up.

Dean Bresciani: “Bowl games are obviously exciting because of exposure, the dirty little secret is with the exception of 2-3 bowls, most cost teams money to be in them, great exposure even if it's a minor bowl, but the smaller the bowl is, the less the financial rewards balancing the exposure.”

Dom: “Not into predictions will NDSU still be at this level in 5 years?”

Dean Bresciani: “I'd be hesitant. There are so many dynamics, not involving that came into play, what are other teams doing, how competitive other teams being, financially viable, right now all the indicators are against teams moving up to the FBS level.”

NDSU's football budget was $3 million this past season. A move up to FBS would require a minimum of $5 million annually on top of that, a fact Bresciani called a show stopper.

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM
They have an autobid-conference (Big Sky), zero FBS wins (but so does South Dakota State so totally irrelivant), zero DI National Titles (which couldn't be done until Jan 2013 at the earliest). So again I don't see where those facts are relivant when deciding if these teams are going to be on even ground. Look what happened in other sports, UND beat NDSU in volleyball and basketball are you telling me they are on even ground in those two sports? NDSU playing UND from 2008-2011 would be total domination by the Bison as UND was transitioning but in 2015 UND's starting QB could be Junior QB Joe Mollberg (RS this season). UND's recruiting has gotten a lot better, and once this nickname issue is put to bed which I can only imagine will be resolved by 2015 recruiting will be a lot tighter between the two schools. NDSU could have 3 losing seasons between now and 2015, and UND could win 3 National Titles between now and 2015, you don't know until you play the game. Just look at what YSU did to NDSU in 2011...just proves anyone is beatable.
Things like this just don't turn around overnight. Going from 3-8 to the national title in two years is very rare and not even the most out of touch NDSU supporter would've predicted that at the end of the 2009 season. The fact is that NDSU had more D1 wins last year that UND has had in the last 3 years combined. NDSU could be down in 2015. UND could be up in 2015. The Vikings could win the Super Bowl next year. The Twins could finish with MLB's best record this year. Hopes n' dreams aren't anything to build a winning program on. NDSU had incredible recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 with very little attrition. That takes a lot of hard work and a lot of luck. UND could get there but until they do there's no reason to think that things won't be the same in 2015 as they are now. I will expect NDSU to win that game.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Dear _____

I'll match whatever pithy amount Lakes comes up with to keep them ON the schedule. That shuts him up. Not like he's a team maker anyway.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM

They do have the QB transfer from North Carolina.

Not saying they would win, just saying - I didn't give them a chance in 2003 after NDSU's hot start and they ended up winning. One of two losses that cost NDSU a deep playoff run, if not a national championship, in their last eligible year of DII.

You just never know in football. AGS

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM

UND is the flagship of the state university system.

But NDSU is the state's designated Morrill Act school, and therefore considered a flagship university for the state in general.

Go Bison
May 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Things like this just don't turn around overnight. Going from 3-8 to the national title in two years is very rare and not even the most out of touch NDSU supporter would've predicted that at the end of the 2009 season. The fact is that NDSU had more D1 wins last year that UND has had in the last 3 years combined. NDSU could be down in 2015. UND could be up in 2015. The Vikings could win the Super Bowl next year. The Twins could finish with MLB's best record this year. Hopes n' dreams aren't anything to build a winning program on. NDSU had incredible recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 with very little attrition. That takes a lot of hard work and a lot of luck. UND could get there but until they do there's no reason to think that things won't be the same in 2015 as they are now. I will expect NDSU to win that game.

That is damn funny right there!

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM
In the standings it may be just another non-conference game but it'll mean a lot more than that to most people in the stands and my guess is that feeling will permeate down to the players on the field as well.

It's been 10 years and I've moved on. This rivalry to bitter to bring back to life during the regular season. Let UND beat up on the Big Sky and we'll meet in the playoffs where it means something.

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
They do have the QB transfer from North Carolina.

Not saying they would win, just saying - I didn't give them a chance in 2003 after NDSU's hot start and they ended up winning. One of two losses that cost NDSU a deep playoff run, if not a national championship, in their last eligible year of DII.

You just never know in football. AGS

Broken leg by Steffes putting powerback duties on Malone may have cost that game. With Steffes in the game, NDSU had a better chance at a first down.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Broken leg by Steffes putting powerback duties on Malone may have cost that game. With Steffes in the game, NDSU had a better chance at a first down.

Malone was the starter and the power runner of the two. Steffes was very quick, shifty. Steffes is part of the reason NDSU got back in the game.

You can't put the loss square on the shoulders of Malone, but NDSU needed didn't need very much to get a first down and keep the game going - and he didn't get it. Tackled by that great MLB they had during that time.

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Malone was the starter and the power runner of the two. Steffes was very quick, shifty. Steffes is part of the reason NDSU got back in the game.

You can't put the loss square on the shoulders of Malone, but NDSU needed didn't need very much to get a first down and keep the game going - and he didn't get it. Tackled by that great MLB they had during that time.

I'm not putting it on Malone, just stating fact. Steffes was great at dodging tackles and getting extra yardage after contact. IMO, Steffes, over any other player on the Bison team, had a better chance of getting the first down.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not putting it on Malone, just stating fact. Steffes was great at dodging tackles and getting extra yardage after contact. IMO, Steffes, over any other player on the Bison team, had a better chance of getting the first down.

Ok then we pretty much agree. That broken leg really set NDSU back.

And that was my point. Any player can get hurt against any team, even a lower level team. All it takes is an injury to a guy like Stefes or like Tyler Roehl had in 2008, and the entire dynamic of the team can change.

If Tyler Roehl isn't hurt in 2008, NDSU probably beats Wyoming and definitely beats Youngstown. That's a fact in my opinion. They squeak into the playoffs and who knows what happens then. Fargodome definitely hosts a game, that's for sure.

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Ok then we pretty much agree. That broken leg really set NDSU back.

And that was my point. Any player can get hurt against any team, even a lower level team. All it takes is an injury to a guy like Stefes or like Tyler Roehl had in 2008, and the entire dynamic of the team can change.

If Tyler Roehl isn't hurt in 2008, NDSU probably beats Wyoming and definitely beats Youngstown. That's a fact in my opinion. They squeak into the playoffs and who knows what happens then. Fargodome definitely hosts a game, that's for sure.

All this and I'm reminded of Arden Beachy's injury. ARGH!

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM
All I know is, Gene Taylor is pissed at this (and faison) and President Dean has emailed people/alumni saying its not even worth discussing until und's conference stuff is finalized.

so ZERO contract is out there, NO ONE at NDSU has said there is a game in 2015 or 2050.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
All I know is, Gene Taylor is pissed at this (and faison) and President Dean has emailed people/alumni saying its not even worth discussing until und's conference stuff is finalized.

so ZERO contract is out there, NO ONE at NDSU has said there is a game in 2015 or 2050.

Well then Taylor's intelligence on this topic borders your own.

He's the last of the AD's and presidents at UND/NDSU circa 2003, who had their feelings hurt, to still be around.

Maybe it's time he moved on, instead of placing his personal feelings before what's good for the state and the two flagship schools.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Well then Taylor's intelligence on this topic borders your own.

He's the last of the AD's and presidents at UND/NDSU circa 2003, who had their feelings hurt, to still be around.

Maybe it's time he moved on, instead of placing his personal feelings before what's good for the state and the two flagship schools.

Like I said, Goldy's a Minnesotan so he just doesn't get it.

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
mpls you spoke that like a true und fan. congrats.

whats good for 2 schools? NDSU has been nothing but successfull without the anchor of und around their necks, Nat'l champs and every other sports reaching the NCAA's. and consistent sellouts!

MPLSSIOUX " Well then Taylor's intelligence on this topic borders your own."

NDB
May 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Taylor was just on the radio and basically said Faison is full of ****.

There is no deal, there has been no discussion of a deal, if Faison sent a contract he wouldn't read it.

Classic UND dumbassery.

DJKyR0
May 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Or maybe he's waiting to see what UND brings to the table before he commits to anything. Maybe he thinks a situation like basketball could arise where NDSU commits to a home-and-home, then goes and loses on the road. A win is expected, a loss is detrimental. He doesn't get paid to worry about the state or UND, he gets paid to figure out what's best for NDSU and only NDSU. If he's holding out for a situation advantageous to his institution, then he's doing what he's paid to do and it's a smart move.

I know you have a bone to pick with Taylor for whatever reason and despite all the success he's brought to NDSU athletics over the past few years (>implying MplsBison actually cares about success at NDSU) but frankly dragging UND along and throwing them a bone is not his job. He needs to do what is best for NDSU, and if playing UND does not benefit NDSU more than the potential damage renewing the series could do, then it's not a smart move to renew it, period.

Then again, you know you're right and any other opinion is just wasted breath. Right, got it.

BisonBacker
May 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Or maybe he's waiting to see what UND brings to the table before he commits to anything. Maybe he thinks a situation like basketball could arise where NDSU commits to a home-and-home, then goes and loses on the road. A win is expected, a loss is detrimental. He doesn't get paid to worry about the state or UND, he gets paid to figure out what's best for NDSU and only NDSU. If he's holding out for a situation advantageous to his institution, then he's doing what he's paid to do and it's a smart move.

I know you have a bone to pick with Taylor for whatever reason and despite all the success he's brought to NDSU athletics over the past few years (>implying MplsBison actually cares about success at NDSU) but frankly dragging UND along and throwing them a bone is not his job. He needs to do what is best for NDSU, and if playing UND does not benefit NDSU more than the potential damage renewing the series could do, then it's not a smart move to renew it, period.

Then again, you know you're right and any other opinion is just wasted breath. Right, got it.

Amen DJ well said!!

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM

There is no deal, there has been no discussion of a deal, if Faison sent a contract he wouldn't read it.

Classic UND dumbassery.

I don't get why this is UND's dumbassery when Brian Faison came up with dates that would work and since its not back to back years it should work for GT, but Taylor still sore about what UND did to them in 2004 by cancelling the series he won't sign it...yet. Hey Gene get over it. Kupchella-gone, Roger Thomas-gone, Chapman-gone. So I suppose once Taylor pulls the stick out of his *** he will sign the contract which will show up next week (according to Faison).

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM

But NDSU would destroy UND. Its been said since 2004. Why is he scared now? NDSU is so far above UND they won FBS games, they won a NC. UND is a joke that plays DII/NAIA teams. Why so afraid??

BisonBacker
May 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I don't get why this is UND's dumbassery when Brian Faison came up with dates that would work and since its not back to back years it should work for GT, but Taylor still sore about what UND did to them in 2004 by cancelling the series he won't sign it...yet. Hey Gene get over it. Kupchella-gone, Roger Thomas-gone, Chapman-gone. So I suppose once Taylor pulls the stick out of his *** he will sign the contract which will show up next week (according to Faison).

Faison is an ASSHAT. This is typical Sh!!T from up North again. The more times change the more things stay the same!

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Faison is an ASSHAT. This is typical Sh!!T from up North again. The more times change the more things stay the same!

Why? I guess NDSU can stick with hosting Wagner, and Prairie View. I am sure the hype will be the same.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
But NDSU would destroy UND. Its been said since 2004. Why is he scared now? NDSU is so far above UND they won FBS games, they won a NC. UND is a joke that plays DII/NAIA teams. Why so afraid??

Probably because our fanbase wants 6 home games annually not 5.....get it! The series will resume eventually but not to NDSU's detriment.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Explain this quote from siouxsports:

From Homer:

Gene Taylor was the first to mention the game and dates on the Bison Media blog. You don't even have to know how to read to see it since it was video. Than, Izzo tweeted about it. Only after that did Faison get a phone call and believe it or not, he said 2015 would be the first year it would happen and that they were talking. Wierd, its what Izzo and Taylor were saying two days earlier. But again its Faison's fault??

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/
Video on right side under UND-NDSU football

I guess this poster was wrong about the Bison Media Blog reference but Izzo who is from WDAY Sports tweeted this on May 15th.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Classic UND dumbassery.

Right, I'm sure Faison just flat out lied to the media. That's probably what happened.

darell1976
May 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Right, I'm sure Faison just flat out lied to the media. That's probably what happened.

So if Dom Izzo broke this on WDAY the night before then tweeted the dates the next day who did he talk to if it wasn't Faison? Was it Taylor or the NDSU President. Hmmm.

AD Gene Taylor tells me next time #NDSU and #UND could met on gridiron, next on WDAY 6 Sports at 10:20!
9:56pm May 15th Tweet from Dom Izzo

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Hiring Bohl is the only thing Taylor has done of significance. It just so happens that football is the only sport anyone affiliated with NDSU cares about. So Taylor has raked in the glory from the hard work Bohl has done to build the program to this point. Granted, Taylor has done his job in that respect - in other words, given Bohl whatever he's wanted. Including a big, fat contract.

Men's bball hasn't done crap since Miles's recruits have left. Women's bball has been in the toilet since the DI transition basically. Softball had a great coach in place before Taylor. They're doing about as good as a team in North Dakota can ever do, consider they get a handful of home games a year and recruit a bunch of California players that west region teams didn't want. Similar story with track teams, great coaches already in place. Only difference is they actually recruit upper midwest players. They're only getting the new indoor track now so that they can move it out of the BSA. And speaking of the BSA, where's the money? Why hasn't Taylor been able to parlay the MBB tourny appearance and now the football national championship into finishing that off?

You worship Taylor because football has done well in the transition and beyond. That's about it. But I guess you never really stopped to think about what he actually has done for NDSU's athletic program. He hired Bohl and gives him what he wants. That's the key to being a great AD at NDSU, I guess.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM

And the more stodgy, old timers find excuses to complain.

344Johnson
May 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Lakes, you don't have to like the idea of playing UND. But seriously, the all caps thing? It gets old. You will pay NDSU $1,000 just to keep UND off the schedule in sports? What about the golf team? Do you mind if they compete against each other? Track? Baseball? I really don't understand how someone who apparently has a real job can come across so stupid on the internet and sound so childish about NDSU potentially playing against UND. I really do not care one way or the other, I understand if we do play, and I understand if we don't.

If a certain company made your job more difficult, and tried to make your company look stupid, you'd probably be a little ticked too. Heck, if I was in Gene's shoes, I probably wouldn't have scheduled UND in anything ever again. Probably a good thing I am not in Gene's shoes then eh? I like that he is making it perfectly clear to UND that you can't bail on a special rivalry and just get it back when it is convenient. UND has never done any favors for NDSU. I don't think NDSU needs to do anything for UND. If this game will happen, it will happen on NDSU's terms. Deal with it.

NDB
May 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM

So Faison came up with dates in non-consecutive years and without talking to NDSU announces to the media that the deal is all but done and that contracts will be in the mail next week. In the article, Taylor says he doesn't know what the hell Faison is up to.

That's batsh#t crazy.

Who gives a sh#t what happened 8 years ago, I wouldn't want to do business with Faison after what happened yesterday!

TheBisonator
May 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
They're only getting the new indoor track now so that they can move it out of the BSA. And speaking of the BSA, where's the money? Why hasn't Taylor been able to parlay the MBB tourny appearance and now the football national championship into finishing that off?

We have now raised $30 million, Gene expects the remainder ($2-3 million) to be raised this summer and we will have groundbreaking sometime this fall.

Read the news.

LakesBison
May 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM
All you guys are right, this is typical underhanded, make stuff.up, leak stuff to the bobo's at the newspaper.
Taylor is mad, steamy mad and president brescani has his back and.they.see this as a distraction for thier nickname problems.

This will only fuel gene & dean's desire to go FBS , so they never have to deal with the mentally challenged cousin.ever again

Bisonater mplssioux = thebigund on bisonville, everything he says on here is pro und, his attempt to.troll ndsu has been called out by me, tony, hando, mnlonghorn. No one has ever met him, nor seen him at a ndsu event.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Lakes, you don't have to like the idea of playing UND. But seriously, the all caps thing? It gets old. You will pay NDSU $1,000 just to keep UND off the schedule in sports? What about the golf team? Do you mind if they compete against each other? Track? Baseball? I really don't understand how someone who apparently has a real job can come across so stupid on the internet and sound so childish about NDSU potentially playing against UND. I really do not care one way or the other, I understand if we do play, and I understand if we don't.

If a certain company made your job more difficult, and tried to make your company look stupid, you'd probably be a little ticked too. Heck, if I was in Gene's shoes, I probably wouldn't have scheduled UND in anything ever again. Probably a good thing I am not in Gene's shoes then eh? I like that he is making it perfectly clear to UND that you can't bail on a special rivalry and just get it back when it is convenient. UND has never done any favors for NDSU. I don't think NDSU needs to do anything for UND. If this game will happen, it will happen on NDSU's terms. Deal with it.

In spite of wanting to see the rivalry renewed and what it should do for football in ND everything you say there rings exactly true in my book as well.

UND would be wise to come back with hat in hand and UND fans wanting something that also helps them after the ****ing they gave NDSU should do the same.

It will be an act of kindness on Taylor's part when he signs the contract and since it is beneficial I would expect him to do so. Doesn't mean he's a dick if he doesn't acquiesce without making damn sure that UND feels a little pain. UND deserves to jump through some hoops and make a concession or two...maybe Faison could get down and kiss the NDSU championship ring on Taylor's finger or something like that.

UND ****ed up, own it and stop with the "they are afraid" ****. It ain't that and that is easy to see.

MplsBison
May 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM
All you guys are right, this is typical underhanded, make stuff.up, leak stuff to the bobo's at the newspaper.
Taylor is mad, steamy mad and president brescani has his back and.they.see this as a distraction for thier nickname problems.

This will only fuel gene & dean's desire to go FBS , so they never have to deal with the mentally challenged cousin.ever again

Bisonater mplssioux = thebigund on bisonville, everything he says on here is pro und, his attempt to.troll ndsu has been called out by me, tony, hando, mnlonghorn. No one has ever met him, nor seen him at a ndsu event.

Lots of people have met you and regret that fact. You are no NDSU fan.

SDFS
May 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I have noted several posts stating that this was started by Faison and UND. But, it was started by Taylor and NDSU - Faison's was replying to questions from the media about an interviewed that took place earlier in the day on Wednesday in Fargo.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/236635/

“We’ve been having conversations for a while, and it’s good to be back at this point,” Faison said.

Faison’s comments Wednesday came in response to a story from WDAY-TV, which quoted North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor on the issue.

“I’ve talked to Brian (Faison). I’ve said, ‘Call me whenever you’re ready to move forward,’ ” Taylor told WDAY. “I think they’ve finally got into a league, finally got a schedule, so I think it’s a matter of sitting down and figuring it out, but their first opportunity is 2015.”

LakesBison
May 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I am not a ndsu fan?? HAHA, PRESIDENT DEAN B emailed me, hell he follows me on twitter/fbook. Class of 97 baseball redshirt 92, teammakers from 2005-2011, been to every home game in last 7 yearsand away games. NO ONE HAS MET YOU, TONY OUTTED YOU ON BISONVILLE. I REST MY CASE YOUR HONOR.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 02:51 AM
[B][COLOR="green"]

Oh, no worries everyone! Lakes says we are going FBS by 2015. Because NDSU totally has the money to pull that off right now. Thank God Lakes' sources have told him that we have some secret fund to add something like $5 million to the budget. What womens sports scholarships will we be adding? Where is the new stadium we will potentially be playing in? Which conference will we be in? The MAC? MWC? B1G? Big 12(10)?

I'm really excited about this now. Thank God that we have people like you out there willing to donate a chunk of change to keep a local rival off the schedule. What if UND made concessions such as 2 games in the Fargodome and no games in Grand Forks? I'm not asking you to be happy about having UND on the schedule at some point, but chances are that it is going to happen. I am, however, asking you to quit making such a fuss about playing them. Shouldn't you want to play them at some point so that NDSU fans can quit listening to UND fans bragging about the last Nickel Game?

I, along with most rational football fans, will admit that the game is a better deal for UND than NDSU on account of the fact that NDSU is the more established FCS school. NDSU could win by 20 and no one would be impressed. If UND snuck out of the game with a W, it would be a huge embarassment for NDSU. It would also give UND a big help in recruiting that they didn't have before. Most people understand that. You do not need to throw a fit everytime that the idea of NDSU vs. UND is brought up.

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 03:28 AM

I don't think anyone is afraid, but there is no upside to playing UND.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I don't think anyone is afraid, but there is no upside to playing UND.

Exactly what UND said in 2003 when they threw a 4 year home and home contract back in Gene's face. A I-AA win was worth less than a highly rated DII loss at the time. UND was afraid playing NDSU would keep them out of the DII playoffs.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Exactly what UND said in 2003 when they threw a 4 year home and home contract back in Gene's face. A I-AA win was worth less than a highly rated DII loss at the time. UND was afraid playing NDSU would keep them out of the DII playoffs.

According to NCAA DII rules it would have kept UND out of the playoffs (in football only). I know it was stupid to cancel the other sports but football was legit. How many FCS teams did NDSU play in the 90's through 2003? I know NDSU played Montana...did it get them a better shot in the playoffs...nope. UND played...ZERO! UND didn't play a FCS team until 2006 when they beat Northern Iowa but by then the rule was gone, and UND was on the FCS study. But that was in the past, questionable decisions were made and there is nothing we can do but move forward. UND fans wanted to move in 2004 with the SU's, but dumb and dumber (Kuppy and RT) didn't want to, so why punish Faison and Kelley who wasn't associated with that mess. Taylor is the only one who still has hard feelings about it. All other sports have reunited except football and women's basketball, and Gene Roebuck is now retired so UND has no coach associated with the 2004 SU move. So get over it, play every other year (or at least start with an every other year deal) and get it done!

BisonBacker
May 18th, 2012, 08:32 AM
According to NCAA DII rules it would have kept UND out of the playoffs (in football only). I know it was stupid to cancel the other sports but football was legit. How many FCS teams did NDSU play in the 90's through 2003? I know NDSU played Montana...did it get them a better shot in the playoffs...nope. UND played...ZERO! UND didn't play a FCS team until 2006 when they beat Northern Iowa but by then the rule was gone, and UND was on the FCS study. But that was in the past, questionable decisions were made and there is nothing we can do but move forward. UND fans wanted to move in 2004 with the SU's, but dumb and dumber (Kuppy and RT) didn't want to, so why punish Faison and Kelley who wasn't associated with that mess. Taylor is the only one who still has hard feelings about it. All other sports have reunited except football and women's basketball, and Gene Roebuck is now retired so UND has no coach associated with the 2004 SU move. So get over it, play every other year (or at least start with an every other year deal) and get it done!

Not punishing them but look at it from Gene's perspective. First Faison is out there flapping his pie hole when he should be keeping it shut. It serves no purpose except his and UND's to spout crap about a possible game when nothing is signed yet. It's only going to piss off Gene and rightfully so. If you are negotiating a contract and working together to get something done you don't go off half cocked and spout crap but that is Standard Operating Practice from up North so to expect anything more is foolish I guess.xcrazyx

Hambone
May 18th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Not sure how this is typical *****, since I believe that Taylor is the one who talked to Izzo first and noted that 2015 dates match up, and Faison was just reacting to a question based on that quote. Could he have responded a little differently - yes. But all he really said is they have tentative dates that work and he's working on a draft contract. Don't know how that is so wrong and bad.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Not punishing them but look at it from Gene's perspective. First Faison is out there flapping his pie hole when he should be keeping it shut. It serves no purpose except his and UND's to spout crap about a possible game when nothing is signed yet. It's only going to piss off Gene and rightfully so. If you are negotiating a contract and working together to get something done you don't go off half cocked and spout crap but that is Standard Operating Practice from up North so to expect anything more is foolish I guess.xcrazyx

Talk to Dom Izzo and Gene Taylor about that....they talked about it before Brian Faison.

Go Bison
May 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Honestly, to me it doesn't matter who brought it up first. Is there a signed contract or not? Right now there is no signed contract so until there is then there are no games. Keep in mind everyone thought that NDSU and UND would continue to play and there was a contract on UND's desk for 8 months before UND told the media there would be no games back in 2004.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Honestly, to me it doesn't matter who brought it up first. Is there a signed contract or not? Right now there is no signed contract so until there is then there are no games. Keep in mind everyone thought that NDSU and UND would continue to play and there was a contract on UND's desk for 8 months before UND told the media there would be no games back in 2004.

Faison is sending Taylor a contract next week. Will he sign it? Stay tuned.

Hambone
May 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I don't think he'll sign that one, but will be a step in negotiations. This is what I don't think Faison should have mentioned to the press (that he was sending a draft contract - this looks to put some pressure on Taylor). He should have just stated that there are matching dates that they are looking at and negotiations are ongoing or something to that effect. However, I don't share the Bison faithful ideology that Faison screwed the pooch bigtime here - just that he should have chosen his words a little more carefully and should have been a little more shielded.

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Not sure how this is typical *****, since I believe that Taylor is the one who talked to Izzo first and noted that 2015 dates match up, and Faison was just reacting to a question based on that quote. Could he have responded a little differently - yes. But all he really said is they have tentative dates that work and he's working on a draft contract. Don't know how that is so wrong and bad.

Talk to Dom Izzo and Gene Taylor about that....they talked about it before Brian Faison.
What Gene said (exactly):

I've talked to Brian, I said call me whenever you want to move forward. They've finally got in a league, they've finally got their schedule. I think it's just a matter of him looking at and sitting down and figuring out [what works]. The first opportunity is the 2015 [season]. There were some dates prior to that that he had and I didn't and vice versa. It's just a matter of getting on the phone and figuring out what's in the future.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63654/

What Faison said:

The schools have tentative game dates in Fargo in 2015 and in Grand Forks in 2017, UND athletic director Brian Faison said.

"Until contracts are signed, it's still tentative," he told the Grand Forks Herald. "We'll be sending (NDSU) contract drafts ... the first of next week."

http://newsok.com/und-ndsu-discuss-resuming-football-rivalry/article/feed/383276

There's a big big difference between saying you're going to have discussions and 2015 is the first opportunity and saying that tentative dates are agreed upon and a contract draft will be sent next week. I saw Taylor's interview on Tuesday and didn't think anything of it because it was just the normal "Yeah, we'll talk about it" response. But when Faison comes out and says that tentative dates have been agreed to and that contracts will be drafted next week that's when I got the impression that it's a done deal and it's just a formality at this point. Apparently that's not the case judging from what Taylor has said and if that's true Faison made a very dumb move here because these games have a lot more value to his program than they do to Taylor's program.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think he'll sign that one, but will be a step in negotiations. This is what I don't think Faison should have mentioned to the press (that he was sending a draft contract - this looks to put some pressure on Taylor). He should have just stated that there are matching dates that they are looking at and negotiations are ongoing or something to that effect. However, I don't share the Bison faithful ideology that Faison screwed the pooch bigtime here - just that he should have chosen his words a little more carefully and should have been a little more shielded.

Power of the press if he signs it he looks like the good guy...if he doesn't he looks like the devil in the eyes of the media and its readers (the latter makes for better reading). Why didn't he sign? Are they afraid? Is it about the nickame? etc. etc.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM
What Gene said (exactly):

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/63654/

What Faison said:

http://newsok.com/und-ndsu-discuss-resuming-football-rivalry/article/feed/383276

There's a big big difference between saying you're going to have discussions and 2015 is the first opportunity and saying that tentative dates are agreed upon and a contract draft will be sent next week. I saw Taylor's interview on Tuesday and didn't think anything of it because it was just the normal "Yeah, we'll talk about it" response. But when Faison comes out and says that tentative dates have been agreed to and that contracts will be drafted next week that's when I got the impression that it's a done deal and it's just a formality at this point. Apparently that's not the case judging from what Taylor has said and if that's true Faison made a very dumb move here because these games have a lot more value to his program than they do to Taylor's program.

How much was this Faison's fault...none, he basically said Gene and I talked and there are 2 years that work details later. Dom Izzo was the one that said they rivalry is basically back on and they will meet in 2015 and 2017. I think he more to blame than Taylor and Faison.

Go Bison
May 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Hambone,
I agree with you on that. A lot of articles I have seen say the rivalry is back on when officially it is not(though it seems like they are on the right track). Gene Taylor told KFGO yesterday that he wants to know what the long range plan is after these two games are scheduled. I think that is fair to all involved. It would suck if two games get scheduled and then no other games get scheduled.

Inside I know that the nickname issue will be brought up before June 12 and be made an issue and somehow make NDSU look bad.

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Power of the press if he signs it he looks like the good guy...if he doesn't he looks like the devil in the eyes of the media and its readers (the latter makes for better reading). Why didn't he sign? Are they afraid? Is it about the nickame? etc. etc.
This has the capability of backfiring on Faison as well. He's put it out there these are the dates before Taylor agreed to anything. Now all the message board banter is flowing and both fan bases are worked up. The difference, in my view, is that the vast majority of UND fans want the games back. That majority isn't nearly as much with NDSU fans (which I don't understand but that's a completely different argument between myself and other Bison fans). Therefore Faison put pressure on himself as well as Taylor to get the deal done. That gives leverage to Taylor because he's in no hurry to renew the series. What if Taylor comes back and says they he wants a 2 for 1 deal or a one and done deal in Fargo instead of a home and home? What does Faison do then?

How much was this Faison's fault...none, he basically said Gene and I talked and there are 2 years that work details later. Dom Izzo was the one that said they rivalry is basically back on and they will meet in 2015 and 2017. I think he more to blame than Taylor and Faison.
Faison said that tentative dates had been agreed to and that contracts will be drafted to be sent to NDSU. This is very much on him and he's either really smart or really stupid for leaking it to the media before any contract had been formalized. We'll see in time which it is. He should know that if you let this out to the media it's going to get sensationalized. That's how the media works, it's not just Dom Izzo that does stuff like this. That's why you wait until you have a formalized contract before you say publicly that anything has been agreed to.

gotts
May 18th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Sure, Taylor mentioned something about open dates, but nothing about a contract. Faison is kinda putting the cart before the horse here with the media statements. I agree with where Gene sits. If you're NDSU, why sign... hell why even mention a contract when UND still have **** stains everywhere from the nickname debacle?

IMO, the first contract, when it happens, should be a 2 for 1 with two games in Fargo. From there, you can start the every other year alternating deal.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM
This has the capability of backfiring on Faison as well. He's put it out there these are the dates before Taylor agreed to anything. Now all the message board banter is flowing and both fan bases are worked up. The difference, in my view, is that the vast majority of UND fans want the games back. That majority isn't nearly as much with NDSU fans (which I don't understand but that's a completely different argument between myself and other Bison fans). Therefore Faison put pressure on himself as well as Taylor to get the deal done. That gives leverage to Taylor because he's in no hurry to renew the series. What if Taylor comes back and says they he wants a 2 for 1 deal or a one and done deal in Fargo instead of a home and home? What does Faison do then?

Faison said that tentative dates had been agreed to and that contracts will be drafted to be sent to NDSU. This is very much on him and he's either really smart or really stupid for leaking it to the media before any contract had been formalized. We'll see in time which it is. He should know that if you let this out to the media it's going to get sensationalized. That's how the media works, it's not just Dom Izzo that does stuff like this. That's why you wait until you have a formalized contract before you say publicly that anything has been agreed to.

Now it all on GT and BF, they got the UND and NDSU fans all worked up not only in this part of the country but throughout the country. I am sure the alums that remember this heated rivalry is already making plans to see the game either on tv or in person. I guess this is a waiting game until the draft ends up on GT's desk. I would love to see what exactly is said in the contract whether he signs it or not...can we get a court order to send a copy to the media.:D

BisonBacker
May 18th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Stop talking and making sense Prof. These are und fans after all and rationale thought doesn't work with most of them. You should know better. xnonox

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Now it all on GT and BF, they got the UND and NDSU fans all worked up not only in this part of the country but throughout the country. I am sure the alums that remember this heated rivalry is already making plans to see the game either on tv or in person. I guess this is a waiting game until the draft ends up on GT's desk. I would love to see what exactly is said in the contract whether he signs it or not...can we get a court order to send a copy to the media.:D
I think its just a matter of time before it's a done deal and this is probably just posturing from both sides. It's not a good thing for it to get out in the public eye like this when the negotiations aren't complete. At the very least it's going to delay an agreement. I hope it doesn't kill it. I, unlike a lot of other Bison fans it seems, would like to see the games return.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I think its just a matter of time before it's a done deal and this is probably just posturing from both sides. It's not a good thing for it to get out in the public eye like this when the negotiations aren't complete. At the very least it's going to delay an agreement. I hope it doesn't kill it. I, unlike a lot of other Bison fans it seems, would like to see the games return.

I would like to see it return too, but now with some UND fans the mood is just like some NDSU fans..do we need the game? In the GWFC yes definately because you had 4 conference games so you needed to fill 7. Now with the BSC just like the MVFC you need to fill 3 spots. 1 spot more than likely a FBS game so that leaves 2. I personally would like to see UND schedule NDSU 1 year, USD, the next, and SDSU the year after that. Just to have a 3 Dakota team rotation. Every year is 99.999% not going to happen until both teams are in the Big Sky, MVFC, or the FBS (with its 12 game schedule). I think Faison knows every year is ideal so that way you don't end up like UNI and have to fill an empty spot with a DII team.

BisonBacker
May 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
The BIG difference in this is not just the fact both are in a conference now. It's that NDSU sells out our games no matter who we play. This is surely to continue with the success from last year. UND on the other hand hasn't sold out that tin shed and I'm betting still won't for most games (Montana & Montana State) excluded. So from a revenue generating standpoint this means much more to the whioux in that it will help them financially. From NDSU's or Gene's perspective this hurts NDSU in that we lose the gate from a 6th home game. It's a no brainer it hurts NDSU and Gene's job is to do what's best/right for NDSU. Taking money out of our budget only to help UND isn't his job and he'd be derelict in his duties to do that. Just because some people have a hardon for NDSU to play UND or vice versa is no reason to screw over NDSU financially. The knuckleheads from up North already have enough friends in Bismarck that seem to do that without needing help.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I am not a ndsu fan?? HAHA, PRESIDENT DEAN B emailed me, hell he follows me on twitter/fbook. Class of 99, baseball redshirt 92, teammakers from 2005-2011, been to every home game in last 7 yearsand away games. NO ONE HAS MET YOU, TONY OUTTED YOU ON BISONVILLE. I REST MY CASE YOUR HONOR.

Redshirt 92.....class of 99. Wow. I guess there is some policy about just giving people who pay more than $100k in tuition some kind of undergrad degree to get them to leave the school.

You are not in team makers. Everyone hates you. They regret the fact they have met you. I guarantee people in team makers have met me. I just don't flaunt my online identity freely, like you do.

I was never banned on Bisonville. The account doesn't exist anymore because the forum has switched database instances several times since the last time I was posting there.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Redshirt 92.....class of 99. Wow. I guess there is some policy about just giving people who pay more than $100k in tuition some kind of undergrad degree to get them to leave the school.

You are not in team makers. Everyone hates you. They regret the fact they have met you. I guarantee people in team makers have met me. I just don't flaunt my online identity freely, like you do.

I was never banned on Bisonville. The account doesn't exist anymore because the forum has switched database instances several times since the last time I was posting there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOsQ2epsI2M

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The BIG difference in this is not just the fact both are in a conference now. It's that NDSU sells out our games no matter who we play. This is surely to continue with the success from last year. UND on the other hand hasn't sold out that tin shed and I'm betting still won't for most games (Montana & Montana State) excluded. So from a revenue generating standpoint this means much more to the whioux in that it will help them financially. From NDSU's or Gene's perspective this hurts NDSU in that we lose the gate from a 6th home game. It's a no brainer it hurts NDSU and Gene's job is to do what's best/right for NDSU. Taking money out of our budget only to help UND isn't his job and he'd be derelict in his duties to do that. Just because some people have a hardon for NDSU to play UND or vice versa is no reason to screw over NDSU financially. The knuckleheads from up North already have enough friends in Bismarck that seem to do that without needing help.

Why the hate?

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM
You see these letters next to the city? That's called A STATE.

Haha, thanks for the laugh.

LakesBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:32 AM
And I make more than you, so what. 1997 I meant. Typo

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM
You see these letters next to the city? That's called A STATE.

Haha, thanks for the laugh.

That movie is a classic!!!

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM
. Taylor is the only one who still has hard feelings about it. All other sports have reunited except football and women's basketball, and Gene Roebuck is now retired so UND has no coach associated with the 2004 SU move. So get over it, play every other year (or at least start with an every other year deal) and get it done!

Maybe rather than telling Taylor, the man who holds all the cards, to get over it, you should do what Ursus said, start jumping through hoops and kissing the ring. NDSU has no reason to go play at UND. Go ahead, call us scared, call us whatever you want. Doesn't matter what you call NDSU fans, the fact of the matter is right now, NDSU football is relevant and UND football is not. When UND proves that they are worth scheduling a home-and-home with (like Montana and Montana St.) I will say lets do it. But until then, I want the game to be in Fargo, or at least 2 games in Fargo for every 1 in Grand Forks.

Dont waste your time staying tuned.

I think that alumni living throughout the country are the least of GT and BF's worries. Not enough of them to really care what they think.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
And I make more than you, so what. 1997 I meant. Typo

Really? You typo'ed 9 and 7? Even given the fact that they're separated by the 8 key both on a QWERTY keyboard as well as a standard number pad? .... and you have a degree?

And you work in Fargo for a TV station - trying to tout your salary?

Yikes.

LakesBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Yep, commission idiot. Or dont you get that delivering pizza davek?

You und people are soooooo desperate, begging for this 1 game. NDSU DOESNT NEED IT

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:48 AM

You und people are soooooo desperate, begging for this 1 game. NDSU DOESNT NEED IT

If I wanted to purchase an advertising slot on the TV station you work at and I got an email or a phone call from you, I would delete it or hang up immediately and then take a shower.

LakesBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Good, im on my way to twins/brewers in a suite at miller park what u doin tonight? Your cousin? Or river cities raceway? Haha

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Actually Lakes, I think they are trying for two games. If it was one game, in Fargo, I'd tell Gene to make it happen.

Go Bison
May 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I am not a ndsu fan?? HAHA, PRESIDENT DEAN B emailed me, hell he follows me on twitter/fbook. Class of 97 baseball redshirt 92, teammakers from 2005-2011, been to every home game in last 7 yearsand away games. NO ONE HAS MET YOU, TONY OUTTED YOU ON BISONVILLE. I REST MY CASE YOUR HONOR.

President Bresciani is on twitter? What is his twitter handle?

TheRevSFA
May 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM
If I wanted to purchase an advertising slot on the TV station you work at and I got an email or a phone call from you, I would delete it or hang up immediately and then take a shower.

How could I not rep this reply?

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
How could I not rep this reply?

because it is MplsBison.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe rather than telling Taylor, the man who holds all the cards, to get over it, you should do what Ursus said, start jumping through hoops and kissing the ring. NDSU has no reason to go play at UND. Go ahead, call us scared, call us whatever you want. Doesn't matter what you call NDSU fans, the fact of the matter is right now, NDSU football is relevant and UND football is not. When UND proves that they are worth scheduling a home-and-home with (like Montana and Montana St.) I will say lets do it. But until then, I want the game to be in Fargo, or at least 2 games in Fargo for every 1 in Grand Forks.

Dont waste your time staying tuned.

I think that alumni living throughout the country are the least of GT and BF's worries. Not enough of them to really care what they think.

What makes UM and MSU worthy of scheduling a home and home and not UND? They are all BSC members, DI counters, and were ranked at the end of last season. Don't say Montana never screwed you because how many times have we heard how Montana backed out and is scared to schedule NDSU in Fargo. So please why UM-MSU and not UND?

JSUBison
May 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
What makes UM and MSU worthy of scheduling a home and home and not UND? They are all BSC members, DI counters, and were ranked at the end of last season. Don't say Montana never screwed you because how many times have we heard how Montana backed out and is scared to schedule NDSU in Fargo. So please why UM-MSU and not UND?

xlolx Geez, you're like the ex-girlfriend waiting for a call from your ex after being dumped.

"Why won't he call, we were so good together. Is he seeing other girls? I miss him so much. I hate him so much! What does he see in her?"

http://girlsguideto.com/files/hes-just-not-that-into-you-.jpg

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 12:23 PM
xlolx Geez, you're like the ex-girlfriend waiting for a call from your ex after being dumped.

"Why won't he call, we were so good together. Is he seeing other girls? I miss him so much. I hate him so much! What does he see in her?"

http://girlsguideto.com/files/hes-just-not-that-into-you-.jpg

I am asking a question about football not your personal life.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am asking a question about football not your personal life.

We seem to be in the minority. No matter how successful they get, there will never be a regular season game that will match any Bison/Sioux game. That is the bottom line.

gotts
May 18th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Seems to me UM and MSU have their **** together, just sayin'. Feelings aside, it's not a smart business decision for NDSU at the moment.

Please tell me what benefit it is to NDSU to schedule a home and home versus a 2 for 1 with UND.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Seems to me UM and MSU have their **** together, just sayin'. Feelings aside, it's not a smart business decision for NDSU at the moment.

Please tell me what benefit it is to NDSU to schedule a home and home versus a 2 for 1 with UND.

What is the guarantee NDSU will have 2 OOC home games forever? Eventually they will have to play an OOC road game or 2. They did it before. Like I said before UND is a DI counter that is incentive enough, plus cheap travel.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM

Montana and Montana State, especially the former, are powers in a fellow major conference. I will also throw Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, JMU, and Delaware as other schools I'd be happy to schedule a home-and-home with. Right now, I do not view UND as a peer, I view them as lesser team. I look at them similar to how I look at say...Lafayette. A team we have come here, and we don't feel obligated to make a return trip to.

Essentially, if we are going to go on the road for OOC, it better be FBS or elite FCS programs, UND is not an elite FCS program at this time.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm still chuckling at the Montana screwed them over? When did that ever happen?

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm still chuckling at the Montana screwed them over? When did that ever happen?

Heard they raped UNI in the playoffs ;)

DJKyR0
May 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
So has the firestorm started yet?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/834c102d.jpg

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM

I believe it has something to do with Montana apparently backing out of a return trip to the FargoDome. I won't talk any smack on the subject because I don't know any of the facts or details or if there was ever even a contract.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I believe it has something to do with Montana apparently backing out of a return trip to the FargoDome. I won't talk any smack on the subject because I don't know any of the facts or details or if there was ever even a contract.

Montana was a 1 game deal. GSU and Montana St bought out of home and homes though.

Hambone
May 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM

When would Montana have done that? The last time they played SU was DII, so Montana would not have scheduled home/home. Thought there were rumblings that Montana State backed out, but is the MSU game with the Bison in a couple years the return trip (albeit 5+ years after the game in Bozeman)?

EDIT: Gil beat me to it.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Montana was a 1 game deal. GSU and Montana St bought out of home and homes though.

GSU ended up at the Fargodome anyway, and that's the rest of the story.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM

I was more referring to Montana finally scheduling NDSU again, here is a thread and post #1 says it all.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?63700-Montana-vs-NDSU-(finally)-amp-MSU

PRESS RELEASE 3:45 Central.

Montana agrees to home and home with NDSU in 2014 & 2015

Montana AT NDSU in 2014, NDSU at MONTANA sept 2015.

MONTANA ST at NDSU in 2013.

only took 11 years, but what the heck, ITS ON!!!!

A quote from LakesBison

gotts
May 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I was more referring to Montana finally scheduling NDSU again, here is a thread and post #1 says it all.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?63700-Montana-vs-NDSU-(finally)-amp-MSU

A quote from LakesBison

The fact you quote LB for your argument automatically makes it invalid.

BisonFan02
May 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM

A quote from LakesBison

In the FCS world as far as scheduling, Montana > UND....my opinion, but there is more upside for NDSU to make that move than scheduling UND at this point.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
In the FCS world as far as scheduling, Montana > UND....my opinion, but there is more upside for NDSU to make that move than scheduling UND at this point.

Don't tell that to UND fans...they are of the belief that NDSU and UND need to play to make for a big event. Truth is, right now NDSU is an event by itself. I want NDSU to have home-homes with other schools that are events on their own.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Don't tell that to UND fans...they are of the belief that NDSU and UND need to play to make for a big event. Truth is, right now NDSU is an event by itself. I want NDSU to have home-homes with other schools that are events on their own.

a Montana/NDSU regular season game wouldn't be nearly as big an event as any UND/NDSU game ever was.

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Point: NDSU doesn't need UND to sell out the dome.
Point: NDSU can create a good buzz by bringing in teams like Montana and Monatana St to the Fargodome.
Point: NDSU has good rivalry games every year at home against either SDSU or UNI.
Point: None of those games compare to playing UND in the Fargodome. Not saying that a UND game would be any better than a SDSU/UNI/Montana/MSU game but they just don't compare as rivals.

I don't try to pretend that UND is just another regional OOC opponent that may or may not make their way onto NDSU's schedule. They're not. Love it or hate it the rivalry between NDSU and UND is different than any other rivalry either school has or ever will have. Some say there's too much hate involved, I think it would be damn fun to re-kindle some of that fire. Call me a sadist but I kinda miss the downright hatred that is lacking with NDSU's new rivalries.

northernfire
May 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Any football game in Fargo is an event just as any hockey match in Grand Forks is an event. NDSU vs. UND in football is an all North Dakota event. It would be the return of an event that gets the adrenaline rushing at all levels. If all of North Dakota was polled regarding the return of this game I'm quite certain it would be overwhelming support for a return to the rivalry.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Any football game in Fargo is an event just as any hockey match in Grand Forks is an event. NDSU vs. UND in football is an all North Dakota event. It would be the return of an event that gets the adrenaline rushing at all levels. If all of North Dakota was polled regarding the return of this game I'm quite certain it would be overwhelming support for a return to the rivalry.

Yeah, it would be an All North Dakota event. Overwhelming support would defnitely be there. That doesn't mean it would be beneficial for each school to take part in it. When it happens, I'll gladly go and watch. But I am not going to say that any deal is a good deal.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, it would be an All North Dakota event. Overwhelming support would defnitely be there. That doesn't mean it would be beneficial for each school to take part in it. When it happens, I'll gladly go and watch. But I am not going to say that any deal is a good deal.

Oh if only these were state schools with a vested interest in North Dakota.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Oh if only these were state schools with a vested interest in North Dakota.

Well UND decided not to have an interest in what the state wanted 10 years ago. No reason for NDSU to do something nice for them. Throw on top of that, like I have said earlier in this thread, NDSu doesn't need to schedule a home-home with UND. Throw a 2 for 1 in there and I would be pretty pleased. It would send a message to UND that you can't crap on someone and then whenever your ready pretend that you never did anything wrong and go back to normal.

If/when UND gets to a level that they are viewed as a power in the FCS, then I might be content to take a home-home offer every other year. That said, I will not be upset if NDSU throws UND on the schedule for a home-home. I just think that NDSU should make them acknowledge that they screwed up by how they handled NDSU moving up, and make them come to the dome twice.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Before he was Ned Stark, Boromir put it best

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/20612150.jpg

AmsterBison
May 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
a Montana/NDSU regular season game wouldn't be nearly as big an event as any UND/NDSU game ever was.

Uh, well let's not make it into more than what it was. When I went to NDSU, UND games didn't even sell out once they went to the last game of the season and UNC and USD, depending on the season, would draw better and create more energy in the Dacotah Field stands. Remember the playoff game with UND that was in GF? Attendance: 5500.

NDSU and UND should play and I hope they get the 2015/2017 thing done, but distorting the past isn't the way to get it done. You might sell a couple hundred more tickets but there will be fewer Bison fans at a UND game than there were at the UNI, GSU, JMU, Lehigh games for the simple reason that UND fans will end up buying tickets that otherwise would have gone to Bison fans.

There is a lot of tradition and a lot of interest from casual fans about NDSU v UND, but if the series were the be-all, end-all Roger Thomas never would have canceled it in the first place.

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Uh, well let's not make it into more than what it was. When I went to NDSU, UND games didn't even sell out once they went to the last game of the season and UNC and USD, depending on the season, would draw better and have more energy. Remember the playoff game with UND that was in GF? Attendance: 5500.

NDSU and UND should play and I hope they get the 2015/2017 thing done, but distorting the past isn't the way to get it done. You might sell a couple hundred more tickets but there were more Bison fans at the UNI, GSU, JMU, Lehigh games than there will ever be at a UND game.

There is a lot of tradition and a lot of interest from casual fans but if it were the be-all, end-all Roger Thomas never would have canceled the series in the first place.

If it was the one the Bison thumped UND in 95...I was one of the 5500.:D

AmsterBison
May 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Heh, if you stayed until the end, you deserve a medal of some sort. :)

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM

I was at the last Nickel game in Grand Forks. Both teams were having good seasons I believe and......GASP! It didn't sell out. I think there was only around 10,000 people there or something like that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM

The UNI game and the 3 playoff games were the loudest I have heard in the dome and this includes UND games.

No doubt the game will have some passion but I doubt it will exceed the playoffs games last year in terms of excitement.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM

A quote from LakesBison

In spite of the name lakes doesn't exactly have his ducks in a row. I can not base the general feeling or what a Bison fans general paradigm is off of him.

If he thinks for one second that Montana had signed a H&H with the Bison then I can not feel much more sorry for him for his not understanding that it was not, and never would have been a H&H at the time.

NDSU doesn't even sign H&H's with some of the FCS teams because they are not at NDSU's level at the time. I can not imagine how quickly GT would be getting his *** chewed up one side and down the other for even considering a H&H with a D2 school you were flat out paying to come in and provide a home game for your fans.

That is complete ****ing lunacy.

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I was at the last Nickel game in Grand Forks. Both teams were having good seasons I believe and......GASP! It didn't sell out. I think there was only around 10,000 people there or something like that.

Didn't UND jack up the prices to $29 per ticket or something like that?

bisonguy
May 18th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Didn't UND jack up the prices to $29 per ticket or something like that?

I believe it was $27.50, while the tickets for other games were around $12.

SDFS
May 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
If you don't like the contract - don't sign it. If you go want the media to talk about ongoing negotiations - don't talk to the media. - carry on.

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Such crap. In what world should you put your price at 250% of a normal ticket?

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Such crap. In what world should you put your price at 250% of a normal ticket?

Roger Thomas' world ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM

Lehigh normal ticket price, $10. Lehigh vs Lafayette ticket $30....

darell1976
May 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM
UND #12 vs #8 NDSU
Sellout! 12,267
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1423265

2001 UND-NDSU game (first one at the Alerus):

Alerus Center Capacity 12,283 (I think with suites its 13,500) I have seen capacity listed as both.
http://www.fightingsioux.com//fls/13500/pdf/UND%20Visiting%20Team%20Manual.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 10:28 PM
if people want to make the 'in the best interest of the state of north dakota' argument, it should be annually in the fargodome.

additionally, und should be downgraded to 'grand forks state' and north dakota should go all in on ndsu

344Johnson
May 18th, 2012, 10:28 PM
UND #12 vs #8 NDSU
Sellout! 12,267
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1423265

2001 UND-NDSU game (first one at the Alerus):

Alerus Center Capacity 12,283 (I think with suites its 13,500) I have seen capacity listed as both.
http://www.fightingsioux.com//fls/13500/pdf/UND%20Visiting%20Team%20Manual.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500

so....the last game ever sold 12,283 tickets. I have heard fans of both teams ( I was in 6th grade, I can't remember if it was actually full) say that it was not full. Because UND fans always use the excuse that hockey was playing some big school that weekend. I also recall my dad saying when we were there that "I expected it to be more full."

frozennorth
May 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I was there, there were plenty of empty seats. No alot, but enough that my family was able to all sit in the same row, despite have tickets scattered all over the arena.

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I was there, there were plenty of empty seats. No alot, but enough that my family was able to all sit in the same row, despite have tickets scattered all over the arena.

UND likes to boast attendance numbers of tickets sold rather than people who actually show up....unlike NDSu.

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 01:13 AM
UND likes to boast attendance numbers of tickets sold rather than people who actually show up....unlike NDSu.

Which is within NCAA rules...that what Eastern Michigan does and I am sure a lot of teams do. I wish they would use butts in the seats when announcing attendance.

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Which is within NCAA rules...that what Eastern Michigan does and I am sure a lot of teams do. I wish they would use butts in the seats when announcing attendance.

Who cares if it is within rules. That doesn't mean people are there. Should Michigan or Penn State claim that they have 110,000 people at a game when really, 95,000 people showed up? If you want to earn the respect of other schools, its not about how many tickets you sell, it is about how many people showed up.

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Who cares if it is within rules. That doesn't mean people are there. Should Michigan or Penn State claim that they have 110,000 people at a game when really, 95,000 people showed up? If you want to earn the respect of other schools, its not about how many tickets you sell, it is about how many people showed up.

So now we need someone to count all the butts in the seats at every game or else you don't gain respect? If the attendance at the Alerus was 12,000+ I bet there was 12,000+ since UND was looking for their second national title in 3 years (but lost the NC game to GVSU). I doubt there was 10,000 or less.

bisonguy
May 19th, 2012, 08:21 AM

And most of NDSU's sellouts prior to 2011 had plenty of blue seats in the Fargodome. xcoffeex

No_Skill
May 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
And most of NDSU's sellouts prior to 2011 had plenty of blue seats in the Fargodome. xcoffeex

Bullcrap. those people were in the bathroom

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Or waiting in line to get bavarian nuts and dippin' dots. or just perusing the concourse.

bisonguy
May 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM

I think you just solved the Fargodome expansion problem!

bisonguy
May 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Or waiting in line to get bavarian nuts and dippin' dots. or just perusing the concourse.

No, they were not. There would be entire rows absent the entire game for "sellouts", especially between the 35's. NDSU has used paid attendance for at least a portion of their attendance figures since they moved into the Fargodome. At Dacotah Field it was a blind guess, typically grossly exaggerated.

Heck, you even admitted on bisonville that reported attendance was not equal to butts-in-seats- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?21755

DJKyR0
May 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
In their defense, bavarian almonds are awesome.

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
In their defense, bavarian almonds are awesome.

Agreed. Now I need some almonds!

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM
No, they were not. There would be entire rows absent the entire game for "sellouts", especially between the 35's. NDSU has used paid attendance for at least a portion of their attendance figures since they moved into the Fargodome. At Dacotah Field it was a blind guess, typically grossly exaggerated.

Heck, you even admitted on bisonville that reported attendance was not equal to butts-in-seats- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?21755

It is called a joke....

NoDak 4 Ever
May 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
This may or may not have been said but in this case, I will distill my feelings down to a few points and then I'll stop beating this dead horse. I think, if you look anywhere else in the country, they have a true reverence for these long standing rivalries. As a native North Dakotan, you were either on one side or the other. Being born and raised in Fargo, I knew I would go to NDSU. Living in GF, if you wore anything that identified you as being from Fargo, you might as well wear a t-shirt that says "I eat babies".

Yeah, it was a big deal and to some of us, it still is. I can't believe how badly this whole thing got screwed up, I blame UND, NDSU, the BSC and MVFC for their parts in this (although the latter two don't give a ****). To put it bluntly: ignoring a school that plays on your level, recruits from the same pool of players you do, AND only stands 70 miles away on a major interstate highway is just plain stupid.

LakesBison
May 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Who gives a crap about north dakota, only small timer d2 old farts care, EVERY FBS game for NDSU has been bigger, ALL.UNI games have been bigger, ALL.SDSU games, ALL PLAYOFF GAMES have been bigger.

Weve been there done it all, now NDSU has to help.out them?

Screw that, gene isnt going to sign anything.

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Who gives a crap about north dakota, only small timer d2 old farts care, EVERY FBS game for NDSU has been bigger, ALL.UNI games have been bigger, ALL.SDSU games, ALL PLAYOFF GAMES have been bigger.

I disagree with you lakes. Not every UNI game or SDSU game has been. Though in my opinion the SDSU and UNI games get more like a real "rivalry" every year. The Robert Morris playoff game was not a big deal to many people. The others were all a pretty big deal though I will give you that.

NDSU will end up playing them at some point. I just hope that NDSU gets a really nice deal in exchange for it i.e (2 for 1).

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Dr. Doltenstein, you are comparing then to now. You can't have any credibility comparing FCS vs. FCS to the oldern days of D2. No matter what your petty little contrivances tell you GT will sign the contract when the details are worked out and it will benefit NDSU, which it will.

Your bitter little whiny act will be brushed aside when that time comes and you can store your internally produced hatred about UND and playing them along with all your other archaic beliefs.

Like it or not it will be a good thing that will raise the level of NDSU and UND's awareness in a state you don't have a lot to do with anyway. It would also get at least some national interest because rivalry games always do.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I disagree with you lakes. Not every UNI game or SDSU game has been. Though in my opinion the SDSU and UNI games get more like a real "rivalry" every year. The Robert Morris playoff game was not a big deal to many people. The others were all a pretty big deal though I will give you that.

NDSU will end up playing them at some point. I just hope that NDSU gets a really nice deal in exchange for it i.e (2 for 1).

Or even a small payday for doing a 1 for 1 would be seem doable. But even without that it would still be a good deal for NDSU in certain years on the schedule and that will be the deciding factor when all is said and done.

JSUBison
May 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM

You must not have went to that game then. The most alive and electric Bison game I've been to. Others have said as much, and it was only eclipsed this past year during the 3 playoff games.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
You must not have went to that game then. The most alive and electric Bison game I've been to. Others have said as much, and it was only eclipsed this past year during the 3 playoff games.

Robert Morris 17

(8-3, 7-1 NEC)
N Dakota St 43

(8-4, 4-4 MVC)

7:00 PM ET, November 27, 2010

Fargodome, FARGO, ND

ATTENDANCE: 12,202

You must have worked hard for that.

344Johnson
May 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Of course I was at that game. I'm referring to size. It was not a big deal to many people, something like 13,000 people there? The people who were there, were rocking and rolling though. It was a very fun game. And exceptionally loud.

EDIT: 12,202.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Of course I was at that game. I'm referring to size. It was not a big deal to many people, something like 13,000 people there? The people who were there, were rocking and rolling though. It was a very fun game. And exceptionally loud.

EDIT: 12,202.

Also, just to put to rest all this silliness about how the games weren't well attended according to GoBison which only has stats back to 1998-99 the attendance was as follows

1998 - Fargo - 19,006
1999 - Grand Forks - 12,466 (Memorial Stadium, Capacity 10k)
2000 - Fargo - 19.020
2001 - GF (Alerius Center, Capacity 12.2k) - 13,500
2002 - Fargo - 19,042
2003 - GF - 12,267

These games were at, near, or over capacity for the last 6 meetings, anyway.

MplsBison
May 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Until the SDSU game in 2006 and then the playoffs last year, UND had the only three 19k+ attendance games in Fargodome history.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Until the SDSU game in 2006 and then the playoffs last year, UND had the only three 19k+ attendance games in Fargodome history.

Which seems logical as to what you & NoDak are saying. The games with MSU are the only games that I could ever compare to the big games and the "must win" feeling of the playoff games and those rivalries have that without always necessarily have a must win attached to them.

They are huge in the communities and acting like they are not marginalizes anyone's opinion that does not admit it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM

I don't think games could get any louder than the UNI or playoff games last year. Too bad we are not playing UND this year or next with this junior class.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Also, just to put to rest all this silliness about how the games weren't well attended according to GoBison which only has stats back to 1998-99 the attendance was as follows

1998 - Fargo - 19,006
1999 - Grand Forks - 12,466 (Memorial Stadium, Capacity 10k)
2000 - Fargo - 19.020
2001 - GF (Alerius Center, Capacity 12.2k) - 13,500
2002 - Fargo - 19,042
2003 - GF - 12,267

These games were at, near, or over capacity for the last 6 meetings, anyway.

Good work on the stats cuz I was scratching my head with what was being said...knowing that those games WERE a big deal and had the same feeling in ND that Griz/Cat has in Montana.

WTF is it with people not just using what actually happened instead of trying to skew the facts to what their feelings drive them to wanting as an outcome?

Now that I put my richard like that NoDak I sure hope you ain't feeding me erroneous #'s.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think games could get any louder than the UNI or playoff games last year. Too bad we are not playing UND this year or next with this junior class.

We have that sort of thing with EWU and sometimes Weber State and others depending on the year and we have it with MSU every year. There is nothing bad about having one more of those games in your stadium.

Once you reach sell out capacity then the only way to determine which games are bigger is how into it the crowd is, how bad the crowd wants to win it, and how badly the players, coaches, and the community want ot win it. That electric atmosphere is one of the absolute best things about the college football game.

I can't imagine that the lot from NDSU would not be jacked up and give their all with noise for a game like that. Maybe I overestimate you people but I don't think I am. It would be as loud and on the level of the best you've seen in the FCS age of NDSU Bison Football. I refuse to believe that you guys lack the heart & soul of a great group of fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
We have that sort of thing with EWU and sometimes Weber State and others depending on the year and we have it with MSU every year. There is nothing bad about having one more of those games in your stadium.

Once you reach sell out capacity then the only way to determine which games are bigger is how into it the crowd is, how bad the crowd wants to win it, and how badly the players, coaches, and the community want ot win it. That electric atmosphere is one of the absolute best things about the college football game.

I can't imagine that the lot from NDSU would not be jacked up and give their all with noise for a game like that. Maybe I overestimate you people but I don't think I am. It would be as loud and on the level of the best you've seen in the FCS age of NDSU Bison Football. I refuse to believe that you guys lack the heart & soul of a great group of fans.

Maybe......maybe not.

I have been to NDSU/UND games in the FargoDome-Dakota Field-Memorial Stadium-Alerus and none of them were as loud as the games I mentioned in my post.

Granted a playoff game against UND would definitely compare to the playoff games this last season, but not a non-conference game against them. It would be a great game if they came down for a playoff game this year but IMO they do not place higher than 5th in the Big Sky this year.

I might be wrong.

darell1976
May 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe......maybe not.

I have been to NDSU/UND games in the FargoDome-Dakota Field-Memorial Stadium-Alerus and none of them were as loud as the games I mentioned in my post.

Granted a playoff game against UND would definitely compare to the playoff games this last season, but not a non-conference game against them. It would be a great game if they came down for a playoff game this year but IMO they do not place higher than 5th in the Big Sky this year.

I might be wrong.

If UND has a good year and sneak into the playoffs...would the NCAA do what they can to get UND to play NDSU in the first round or second (if NDSU has a bye). I remember being at the 1993 UND-NDSU game at Memorial Stadium the stands were so packed you had fans sitting (or standing) in rows on the running track behind the endzones. Which I am sure was the case in the 1999 game that NoDak 4 Ever posted as 12+ in a 10,000 seat capacity. The atmosphere was electric even when NDSU was running with a 12 game winning streak over UND. When these two teams meet either in the playoffs in 2012, 13, 14, or in the regular season 2015 (?) the atmosphere will also be electric and the hatred will be extremely great.

LakesBison
May 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Zzzzzz move on, slow news day is over.

Squealofthepig
May 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM
If UND has a good year and sneak into the playoffs...would the NCAA do what they can to get UND to play NDSU in the first round or second (if NDSU has a bye).

I think this totally depends on the field as a whole - but the NCAA has some precedent in doing a UND/NDSU game, as they showed with a Delaware/Delaware State game a few years ago (which the FCS community at large was ecstatic about until the Hornets failed to show up and the Hens kicked them in the teeth. Repeatedly.)

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Zzzzzz move on, slow news day is over.

You're dip**** that bumped it after two days.

http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dumbass1.jpg

bincitysioux
May 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I have hated this whole thing the whole time. Roger Thomas was a gigantic pussy in calling off the series ........................

Are you aware that Roger Thomas has not been employed by North Dakota for about a decade?

I understand that Section VI, Article IV, Paragraph II of the NDSU handbook requires all NDSU fans to blame Roger Thomas for all thinks detrimental to NDSU, but it should be noted that North Dakota has had two different Athletic Directors offer to play NDSU in football since RT left. The two schools are now playing in virtually every sport except football. IMO, the football game won't happen until Gene Taylor moves on....................

And personally, that would be too soon for my taste......................

bincitysioux
May 22nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
If UND has a good year and sneak into the playoffs...would the NCAA do what they can to get UND to play NDSU in the first round or second (if NDSU has a bye). I remember being at the 1993 UND-NDSU game at Memorial Stadium the stands were so packed you had fans sitting (or standing) in rows on the running track behind the endzones. Which I am sure was the case in the 1999 game that NoDak 4 Ever posted as 12+ in a 10,000 seat capacity. The atmosphere was electric even when NDSU was running with a 12 game winning streak over UND. When these two teams meet either in the playoffs in 2012, 13, 14, or in the regular season 2015 (?) the atmosphere will also be electric and the hatred will be extremely great.

If both schools were playing in the first round of the playoffs, there is a good chance they would be paired together...........................

344Johnson
May 22nd, 2012, 01:31 AM
If both schools were playing in the first round of the playoffs, there is a good chance they would be paired together...........................

NCAA likes to make money. NCAA likes to save money. NCAA makes money by having NDSU/UND play. Guaranteed Sell-out. NCAA is guaranteed to save money by having them play. Short bus trip. If/when UND and NDSU are both in the playoffs, and they aren't both seeded, they'll have them play if given an opportunity to make it happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Are you aware that Roger Thomas has not been employed by North Dakota for about a decade?

I understand that Section VI, Article IV, Paragraph II of the NDSU handbook requires all NDSU fans to blame Roger Thomas for all thinks detrimental to NDSU, but it should be noted that North Dakota has had two different Athletic Directors offer to play NDSU in football since RT left. The two schools are now playing in virtually every sport except football. IMO, the football game won't happen until Gene Taylor moves on....................

Whew! I get to argue with a Sioux fan.

I said RT called it off - Fact
I said NDSU is big timing UND - Fact

http://www.chrisdraftfamilyfoundation.org/tools/literacy_leaders_features/files/RIF.gif

southernbounder
May 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM

NDSU blames Roger Thomas for everything just as UND blames Joe Chapman.

You are correct when saying that two AD's offered to play NDSU since RT left. The reality is however that Buning tried to pin Gene Taylor down by making his offer on a morning radio talk show in Fargo. Taylor obviously didn't except nor would I if was put in that same situation. Buning hadn't contacted Taylor prior to that morning talk show. The second attempt at getting NDSU on the schedule was made in a similar fashion by Brian Faison. Brian was fairly new yet and instead of picking up the phone to call Gene and see where he stood he ran to the local newspaper and made his famous quote "We're ready to play, so lets play." That also landed on deaf ears down in Fargo.

If you have forgotten after those two failures in the media the state reps from Grand Forks introduced a bill to try and force UND and NDSU to play. Once the legislature voted down the bill 90-3 Taylor responded on his own with a contract. Now there have been rumors that two contracts were sent to Faison to look over. The first one that was rumored to have been sent was a 2 for 1 deal that was turned down and then sent down to USD which they accepted. That one can't be proven so that will have to stay a rumor. The contract that we know for sure that was sent to Faison was the home and home played every other year. That contract was refused by Faison because it wasn't an annual game. Now finally Faison has agreed to the every other year model. The first game between the two schools would have been played already if Faison would've excepted the same every other year offer sent to him by Taylor. Gene has been saying for a couple of years now that NDSU will play UND in FB. However, NDSU isn't willing to change their whole scheduling model just so UND can get themselves on NDSU's schedule again.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
I don't care how it happens, lets just play some football!

bincitysioux
May 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
NDSU blames Roger Thomas for everything just as UND blames Joe Chapman.

You are correct when saying that two AD's offered to play NDSU since RT left. The reality is however that Buning tried to pin Gene Taylor down by making his offer on a morning radio talk show in Fargo. Taylor obviously didn't except nor would I if was put in that same situation. Buning hadn't contacted Taylor prior to that morning talk show. The second attempt at getting NDSU on the schedule was made in a similar fashion by Brian Faison. Brian was fairly new yet and instead of picking up the phone to call Gene and see where he stood he ran to the local newspaper and made his famous quote "We're ready to play, so lets play." That also landed on deaf ears down in Fargo.

If you have forgotten after those two failures in the media the state reps from Grand Forks introduced a bill to try and force UND and NDSU to play. Once the legislature voted down the bill 90-3 Taylor responded on his own with a contract. Now there have been rumors that two contracts were sent to Faison to look over. The first one that was rumored to have been sent was a 2 for 1 deal that was turned down and then sent down to USD which they accepted. That one can't be proven so that will have to stay a rumor. The contract that we know for sure that was sent to Faison was the home and home played every other year. That contract was refused by Faison because it wasn't an annual game. Now finally Faison has agreed to the every other year model. The first game between the two schools would have been played already if Faison would've excepted the same every other year offer sent to him by Taylor. Gene has been saying for a couple of years now that NDSU will play UND in FB. However, NDSU isn't willing to change their whole scheduling model just so UND can get themselves on NDSU's schedule again.

Feel free to cannonize Gene Taylor all you want, NDSU has obviously accomplished some great things under his watch.

Twist things as much as you feel is appropriate, but it is misleading at best, and actually totally false to say that Taylor was approached only through the media by Buning and Faison.

Gene Taylor didn't respond to the potential legislative action by offering to play UND.................rather he responded by announcing that the Summit League, which does not sponsor football, had directed member schools not to schedule North Dakota because of the nickname controversy. He made that statement on the same day that North Dakota released basketball schedules for that season which included multiple Summit League members.

The football game won't happen as long as Gene Taylor is at the helm, and that is fine by me....................

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2012, 08:56 AM
Feel free to cannonize Gene Taylor all you want, NDSU has obviously accomplished some great things under his watch.

Twist things as much as you feel is appropriate, but it is misleading at best, and actually totally false to say that Taylor was approached only through the media by Buning and Faison.

Gene Taylor didn't respond to the potential legislative action by offering to play UND.................rather he responded by announcing that the Summit League, which does not sponsor football, had directed member schools not to schedule North Dakota because of the nickname controversy. He made that statement on the same day that North Dakota released basketball schedules for that season which included multiple Summit League members.

The football game won't happen as long as Gene Taylor is at the helm, and that is fine by me....................

Won't happen period is too strong. Even Gene Taylor himself, will eventually have to succumb to circumstance and relent with a couple games here and there. Certainly we won't ever see an every year, regular season game -- as it should be -- with Taylor directing traffic at NDSU.

And Taylor knows that he can keep his job at NDSU as long as he wants by doing one simple thing: giving Craig Bohl whatever he wants. As long as Bohl is there and NDSU is in FCS, the winning will continue and there will be no pressure on Taylor to do anything else of significance. Even if the BSA project somehow fell through, he'd be fine.

The impetus is going to be either: Taylor gets another job or retires -OR- when Bohl takes another offer eventually at a Big Ten or Big XII program. Then it will be squarely on Taylor to hire his replacement. If the team then flounders - THAT's the opportunity to squeeze Taylor.

Gothmog
May 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
So Faison came up with dates in non-consecutive years and without talking to NDSU announces to the media that the deal is all but done and that contracts will be in the mail next week. In the article, Taylor says he doesn't know what the hell Faison is up to.

That's batsh#t crazy.

Who gives a sh#t what happened 8 years ago, I wouldn't want to do business with Faison after what happened yesterday!

Exactly!

Again and again UND shows itself to be an unreliable business partner. They will attempt to gain an advantage over NDSU in any way they can. This time they're negotiating through the media. What will it be next time?

Gene, please do not schedule these arrogant jerks. At least until they have shown that they can be trusted.

Gothmog
May 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM

Ummm, hatred is not a good thing.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 23rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Ummm, hatred is not a good thing.

Oh it's a spirited hatred though. 3 guys wanted to pick a fight with me during the last Bison/Sioux game on my way out of the stadium - and they won!

BisonBacker
May 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Won't happen period is too strong. Even Gene Taylor himself, will eventually have to succumb to circumstance and relent with a couple games here and there. Certainly we won't ever see an every year, regular season game -- as it should be -- with Taylor directing traffic at NDSU.

And Taylor knows that he can keep his job at NDSU as long as he wants by doing one simple thing: giving Craig Bohl whatever he wants. As long as Bohl is there and NDSU is in FCS, the winning will continue and there will be no pressure on Taylor to do anything else of significance. Even if the BSA project somehow fell through, he'd be fine.

The impetus is going to be either: Taylor gets another job or retires -OR- when Bohl takes another offer eventually at a Big Ten or Big XII program. Then it will be squarely on Taylor to hire his replacement. If the team then flounders - THAT's the opportunity to squeeze Taylor.

Spoken like a true Sioux fan! xsmhx

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Exactly!

Again and again UND shows itself to be an unreliable business partner. They will attempt to gain an advantage over NDSU in any way they can. This time they're negotiating through the media. What will it be next time?

Gene, please do not schedule these arrogant jerks. At least until they have shown that they can be trusted.

By having Fargo-Moorhead's own WDAY's sportscaster Dom Izzo ask the question to Gene Taylor before even talking to Brian Faison. Yep...shame on UND.xconfusedx

Gil Dobie
May 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
UND Sioux - defunct nickname even though many object, it will never be what it once was.
UND vs NDSJU - defunct rivalry with NDSU though many object, it will never be what it once was.

Gothmog
May 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
By having Fargo-Moorhead's own WDAY's sportscaster Dom Izzo ask the question to Gene Taylor before even talking to Brian Faison. Yep...shame on UND.xconfusedx

What are you talking about?? Gene factually discussed the situation. Basically, all he said was "we're talking. It will probably happen some day." No promises about when it would happen. No representations that were not true.

Faison tried to paint NDSU as the bad guy if the deal didn't happen, by falsely claiming that the deal was already done. Unfortunately, that sort of crap is standard procedure at Asshat U.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
What are you talking about?? Gene factually discussed the situation. Basically, all he said was "we're talking. It will probably happen some day." No promises about when it would happen. No representations that were not true.

Faison tried to paint NDSU as the bad guy if the deal didn't happen, by falsely claiming that the deal was already done. Unfortunately, that sort of crap is standard procedure at Asshat U.

Question for you....why does UND get the blame when NDSU would have stopped the rivalry? Would NDSU still play UND in 2008 when UND was a non DI counter? Also would NDSU continue to play UND every year as 1 of their 3 OOC games? That would mean every other year at FBS, at UND, OOC #3...either at or home. If you say NDSU would still be playing UND you are a liar. If you say yes I think the rivalry would have stopped...its called seeing into the future. So UND did something in 2004 that NDSU would have done around 2008. I think they still would have played when NDSU was in the Great West.

southernbounder
May 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM

It doesn't surprise me that you are blaming Gene Taylor solely for this mess. I believe you are one of the individuals who have emailed the NCAA trying to put the entire state of ND under the same sanctions as UND if the June vote doesn't go your way. It speaks volumes of how you look at things.

Here is a little timeline and how things occured:

April 21st, 2007:
Tom Buning and Gene Taylor are on KFGO's News and Views with Ed Schultz for a "big announcement". Buning's big announcement is that UND is now ready to schedule NDSU again. Taylor pretty much laughed it off on the show. Buning had not contacted Taylor prior to that show. Get a copy of that show if you don't believe it.

Sept. 2007:
Buning takes a leave of abscence and many are complaining about the poor job he is doing. Buning later announces he is leaving and takes a job at SMU.

May 2008:
Brian Faison is hired at UND

Jan. 2009:
Faison goes to the media telling NDSU "Were ready to play, so lets play." Taylor responds to that by saying a phone call from Brian would've been nice first.

Two weeks later GF representatives put together a bill to force NDSU and UND to play in FB.

Spring 2009:
ND Legislature defeats the bill 90-3.

This is where the rumored 2 for 1 contract was said to have been sent from Taylor to Faison shortly after that vote took place.

Summit Commish Douple states that he told his members to "USE CAUTION" when scheduling UND. Other Summit schools don't have the bitter history and schedule a few games with UND. NDSU chooses not to knowing that any incident between the two schools involving the nickname would drag NDSU into UND's hot nickname mess.

It appears that was a good idea considering less than a year later Texas Tech takes heat for putting a cartoon figure of a Native American running from a red raider in their game program. ND media jumped all over it. If that kind of incident happened at an NDSU hosted event NDSU would've been still apologizing for it to this day. It also wouldn't surprise me if UND fans would've tried to pin the blame on losing the nickname fight because of any incident that may have occured while playing in Fargo at that time. All of you were in fight mode trying to save the name.

Dec. 2009:
The media announces USD accepts a 2 for 1 contract with NDSU and will be playing in 2010. Still speculation and rumors that the contract was originally written for UND. I guess we'll have to talk to both of them to see if that actually occured.

Feb. 2010:
The media announces that Gene Taylor has sent a home and home contract to Faison for approval. Brian Faison refuses the contract stating that the game needs to be played annually. The first game would've been played before 2012 if Faison would've signed that contract.

April 2010:
Basketball contract between UND and NDSU is announced.

Spring 2011:
Georgia Southern buys out of their game with NDSU. Gene Taylor calls Brian Faison first to see if a date could work out. UND cannot get an open date to work. That has been admitted by Faison.

May 2012:
Gene tells Dom Izzo that both UND and NDSU have open dates for the 2015. Faison responds the next day saying that a contract has been agreed upon and is being sent to Taylor for 2015 and 2017. It is the exact same offer that Taylor sent to Faison in Feb. 2010. Taylor responds by saying nothing has been agreed upon. 2015dates are open, 2017 conference schedules aren't out yet and the strings attached after the 2017 date are an issue. Faison still wants an annual game Taylor does not. Taylor says that the University presidents will have to get involved because of that disagreement.

Keep pointing fingers and demonizing Gene Taylor. The fact is he has sent contract offers. Once again this game would've been played already if Faison would've signed that contract in 2010.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
It doesn't surprise me that you are blaming Gene Taylor solely for this mess. I believe you are one of the individuals who have emailed the NCAA trying to put the entire state of ND under the same sanctions as UND if the June vote doesn't go your way. It speaks volumes of how you look at things.

April 21st, 2007:
Tom Buning and Gene Taylor are on KFGO's News and Views with Ed Schultz for a "big announcement". Buning's big announcement is that UND is now ready to schedule NDSU again. Taylor pretty much laughed it off on the show. Buning had not contacted Taylor prior to that show. Get a copy of that show if you don't believe it.

Sept. 2007:
Buning takes a leave of abscence and many are complaining about the poor job he is doing. Buning later announces he is leaving and takes a job at SMU.

May 2008:

Jan. 2009:
Faison goes to the media telling NDSU "Were ready to play, so lets play." Taylor responds to that by saying a phone call from Brian would've been nice first.

Two weeks later GF representatives put together a bill to force NDSU and UND to play in FB.

Spring 2009:

This is where the rumored 2 for 1 contract was said to have been sent from Taylor to Faison shortly after that vote took place.

Summit Commish Douple states that he told his members to "USE CAUTION" when scheduling UND. Other Summit schools don't have the bitter history and schedule a few games with UND. NDSU chooses not to knowing that any incident between the two schools involving the nickname would drag NDSU into UND's hot nickname mess.

It appears that was a good idea considering less than a year later Texas Tech takes heat for putting a cartoon figure of a Native American running from a red raider in their game program. ND media jumped all over it. If that kind of incident happened at an NDSU hosted event NDSU would've been still apologizing for it to this day. It also wouldn't surprise me if UND fans would've tried to pin the blame on losing the nickname fight because of any incident that may have occured while playing in Fargo at that time. All of you were in fight mode trying to save the name.

Dec. 2009:
The media announces USD accepts a 2 for 1 contract with NDSU and will be playing in 2010. Still speculation and rumors that the contract was originally written for UND. I guess we'll have to talk to both of them to see if that actually occured.

Feb. 2010:
The media announces that Gene Taylor has sent a home and home contract to Faison for approval. Brian Faison refuses the contract stating that the game needs to be played annually. The first game would've been played before 2012 if Faison would've signed that contract.

April 2010:

Spring 2010:
Georgia Southern buys out of their game with NDSU. Gene Taylor calls Brian Faison first to see if a date could work out. UND cannot get an open date to work. That has been admitted by Faison.

May 2011:
Gene tells Dom Izzo that both UND and NDSU have open dates for the 2015. Faison responds the next day saying that a contract has been agreed upon and is being sent to Taylor for 2015 and 2017. It is the exact same offer that Taylor sent to Faison in Feb. 2010. Taylor responds by saying nothing has been agreed upon. 2015dates are open, 2017 conference schedules aren't out yet and the strings attached after the 2017 date are an issue. Faison still wants an annual game Taylor does not. Taylor says that the University presidents will have to get involved because of that disagreement.

Keep pointing fingers and demonizing Gene Taylor. The fact is he has sent contract offers. Once again this game would've been played already if Faison would've signed that contract in 2010.

There was NO agreement on the contract the only thing that was agreed by BF and GT was what dates "could" work an agreement would indicate both parties agree to play which didn't happen.

http://www.kxnet.com/story/18441576/und-and-ndsu-could-renew-football-rivalry-in-2015

UND athletic director Brian Faison responded today, saying UND will be sending out contracts to NDSU next Monday.
The two dates they're looking at are September 19th, 2015 in Fargo and September 9th, 2017 in Grand Forks.
Faison says everything is still tentative until contracts are signed, but he thinks they can make it happen.
Although there is a little contention over how often they should play.

There's no plans yet to make it a long term contract.
We hope to hear more on the story, and possible contract signings next week

BisonBacker
May 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM

April 21st, 2007:

Sept. 2007:

May 2008:

Jan. 2009:

Spring 2009:

Dec. 2009:

Feb. 2010:

April 2010:

Spring 2010:

May 2011:

Kudo's to you for an excellent factual post. Problem is you are talking facts with someone who wouldn't know what a fact or the truth is if it steamrolled him. But thanks for the post and keep posting but just remember who you are trying to talk to. They live in a different world up there. Facts and reason or common sense are a foreign idea to them.

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Kudo's to you for an excellent factual post. Problem is you are talking facts with someone who wouldn't know what a fact or the truth is if it steamrolled him. But thanks for the post and keep posting but just remember who you are trying to talk to. They live in a different world up there. Facts and reason or common sense are a foreign idea to them.

How's the koolaid?

BisonBacker
May 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
How's the koolaid?

Says Mr. http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/kool-aid-man.png

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Says Mr. http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/kool-aid-man.png

He shouldn't be red...he should be yellow and green.

BisonBacker
May 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
You mean White and green with a flash of pink for flair. Those are UND's colors xnodx

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
You mean White and green with a flash of pink for flair. Those are UND's colors xnodx

Rick Flair?

Gil Dobie
May 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rick Flair?

Prairie Rose Pink

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Spoken like a true Sioux fan! xsmhx

Spoken like a stodgy, old man - who puts personal feelings ahead of what's right!

Professor Chaos
May 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM
This is all Dom Izzo's and Gene Taylor's fault....

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5189/tweetg.png

Since apparently setting a tentative date is a unilateral declaration now I'd like to announce that I have a tentative date set with Kate Upton. My people will be contacting her people early next week to work out the details.

Gothmog
May 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Question for you....why does UND get the blame when NDSU would have stopped the rivalry? Would NDSU still play UND in 2008 when UND was a non DI counter? Also would NDSU continue to play UND every year as 1 of their 3 OOC games? That would mean every other year at FBS, at UND, OOC #3...either at or home. If you say NDSU would still be playing UND you are a liar. If you say yes I think the rivalry would have stopped...its called seeing into the future. So UND did something in 2004 that NDSU would have done around 2008. I think they still would have played when NDSU was in the Great West.

UND had every right to stop the rivalry if they wanted. They just didn't need to be such total dinks about it.

Just deal straight with people, tell the truth, that's all I ask.

ndsubison
May 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Rick Flair?

Noow We Go To School !! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! LMAO

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Noow We Go To School !! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! LMAO

xlolxxlolx

Hammerhead
May 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Can't NDSU get some money for TV coverage to offset the loss of a home game every other year or two?

I'm all for bringing the rivalry back. SDSU never seemed like a true rival to me even though we've been in the same conference basically forever. UNI is only a "rival" because they are consistently one of the top teams in the conference.

darell1976
May 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Can't NDSU get some money for TV coverage to offset the loss of a home game every other year or two?

I'm all for bringing the rivalry back. SDSU never seemed like a true rival to me even though we've been in the same conference basically forever. UNI is only a "rival" because they are consistently one of the top teams in the conference.

I wonder how that would work with it broadcasted on multiple stations. At UND it would be broadcasted on the UNDSN (UND Sports Network formally known as the Fighting Sioux Sports Network), ABC stations in ND, Midco-Sports Net and Fox College Sports. Maybe NDSU gets something for it being on WDAY in Fargo? Or would all the money go to UND? Anyone in tv know how the money works?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I wonder how that would work with it broadcasted on multiple stations. At UND it would be broadcasted on the UNDSN (UND Sports Network formally known as the Fighting Sioux Sports Network), ABC stations in ND, Midco-Sports Net and Fox College Sports. Maybe NDSU gets something for it being on WDAY in Fargo? Or would all the money go to UND? Anyone in tv know how the money works?
Normally the home team gets the lions share of the cash even if it's a TV company associated with the other school. It highly depends on the bid process for the games. If it's broadcast on UNDSF or whatever then WDAV would pay to carry it back in Fargo if that wasn't part of UNDSF network area (which I'm sure it is).

BTW, none of your TV deals will override what goes on with the BSC TV. When your TV company bids on broadcasting a road game in the BSC the team you travel to will receive the major portion of the money.

darell1976
May 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Normally the home team gets the lions share of the cash even if it's a TV company associated with the other school. It highly depends on the bid process for the games. If it's broadcast on UNDSF or whatever then WDAV would pay to carry it back in Fargo if that wasn't part of UNDSF network area (which I'm sure it is).

BTW, none of your TV deals will override what goes on with the BSC TV. When your TV company bids on broadcasting a road game in the BSC the team you travel to will receive the major portion of the money.

Thanks UAH!