PDA

View Full Version : Article: Friendly Rivalry; Huesman, Robinson remain supportive in QB battle

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Huesman, Robinson remain supportive in QB race

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/14/utc-mcs-huesman-robinson-remain-supportiv/

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2012/05/13/051412_WEB_c_Mocs_Robinson_t618.jpg?ba5b5b122dd3d3 7cc13d83e92a6a0ec0d5bfa32a
Robinson

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2012/05/13/051412_WEB_c_Mocs_Huesman_t618.jpg?ba5b5b122dd3d37 cc13d83e92a6a0ec0d5bfa32a
Huesman

Seven questions with All-American LB Wes Dothard

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/15/seven-questions-with-wes-dothard/?sports

http://media.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2012/05/14/051512_WEB_d_Mocs_Dothard_t618.jpg?ba5b5b122dd3d37 cc13d83e92a6a0ec0d5bfa32a

Georgia's Derrick Lott to play for UTC

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/15/georgias-lott-to-play-for-utc/?sportscollege

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Recruit/67/7_124534.jpg

Now we don't just have the little undersized DTs. We have 2 6'4" 300 pounders. This defense is going to be scary.

AppAlum2003
May 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
As much as I hate to make chattown feel any glimmer of hope or even respect... Robinson scares the hell out of me for the next 3 seasons. The kid can move and he's huge.

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM
As much as I hate to make chattown feel any glimmer of hope or even respect... Robinson scares the hell out of me for the next 3 seasons. The kid can move and he's huge.

I would be just as scared of Huesman. But what would really keep me up at night would be the Chattanooga defense.

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Nothing? No one wants to jump on the 2012 Moc SOCON Championship nandwagon? There is still plenty of room.

TheRevSFA
May 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Nothing? No one wants to jump on the 2012 Moc SOCON Championship nandwagon? There is still plenty of room.

Nah..that's okay

Apphole
May 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

Silenoz
May 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM

I prefer my current bandwagon. Much more luxurious with the winning and what not

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM

I reserve judgment until he proves he can make a forward pass against anything resembling a decent defense. We all know he can run, but the "one man show" offense doesn't work (ask Jayson Foster). To really get me off my chair, UTC needs to either (1) get a running back that can let Robinson run a spread offense, or (2) get Robinson comfortable throwing the ball. Without one of those two things, UTC's offense will be worse than it was last year, and it was pretty bad last year.

The DT is probably a nice pickup, but UTC has collected SEC castoffs for years without much success. Those big bodies are useful in FBS football, but I'm yet to be convinced that they matchup well against smaller, quicker SoCon offensive lines. Again, judgment reserved.

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I reserve judgment until he proves he can make a forward pass against anything resembling a decent defense. We all know he can run, but the "one man show" offense doesn't work (ask Jayson Foster). To really get me off my chair, UTC needs to either (1) get a running back that can let Robinson run a spread offense, or (2) get Robinson comfortable throwing the ball. Without one of those two things, UTC's offense will be worse than it was last year, and it was pretty bad last year.

The DT is probably a nice pickup, but UTC has collected SEC castoffs for years without much success. Those big bodies are useful in FBS football, but I'm yet to be convinced that they matchup well against smaller, quicker SoCon offensive lines. Again, judgment reserved.

He is not an SEC castoff. He left on his own accord and probably was going to be the 2nd string guy at Ugay. Couple him with our other big boy mayes who was forced to sit out aftter transferring from navy and you have a scary duo. Couple them with the smaller faster young guys who played pretty well last year to go along with tull and williams on the outside and chattanooga should have one of the best d lines in america. Believe it or not

asumike83
May 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
He is not an SEC castoff. He left on his own accord and probably was going to be the 2nd string guy at Ugay.

Just to be clear, are you saying that this kid rode the pine for two years and then after he had a spot on the 2-deep at a preseason top 10 SEC school, decided to leave and come play for UTC? Even you can't believe that.

AppAlum2003
May 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM

If he can go 8 - 15 for 120 each game and run for 200 and 2 touchdowns, Chatty wins a lot of games... or at least stays competitive in a lot of them.

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Just to be clear, are you saying that this kid rode the pine for two years and then after he had a spot on the 2-deep at a preseason top 10 SEC school, decided to leave and come play for UTC? Even you can't believe that.

Well I got my information from both the article I posted as well as others here is from the article I posted

After redshirting in 2009 following ankle surgery, Lott had seven tackles in three games during the 2010 season. He played in just two games last season, after a scooter accident last July that resulted in a leg injury and surgery. Lott finished his UGA career with 10 tackles.

I got this from the AJC

Lott played in just five career games. He concludes his UGA career with 10 total tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss.

Defensive line coach Rodney Garner spoke glowingly of Lott’s progress and abilities earlier this week. Though a career backup, Lott had tripped over some bad fortune — he ripped open his leg in a scooter accident before this past season — and appeared to be coming into his own this spring. According to several accounts of recent interviews with Lott, he spoke excitedly and optimistically about the upcoming season and the prospects it held for him.

and This from the Ledger-enquirer

This spring Lott was hoping to take advantage of the graduation of DeAngelo Tyson, one of only two starters leaving the team. But he was still behind Garrison Smith, who started when Tyson got hurt last year, and this spring Cornelius Washington and Ray Drew were getting snaps at end.

So it appears that he probably wasn't a 2nd stringer especially since Georgia now runs a 3-4 if I'm not mistaken. Although I'm not sure what Ray Drew and Washington getting snaps at DE has to do with Lott since he was a DT Unless he was planning on getting snaps at DE in that system since you want large DEs.

Nevertheless the injuries and the fact that Georgia switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after his recruitment and his injury issues as well as the glowing remarks from his position coaches just before he left. Seem to tell a story different from just looking at how many snaps he got. He seemed to be a better player for them than the stats would suggest. He is a major addition here. We will see how he pans out but it could be HUGE.

chattownmocs
May 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM
As far as Robinson goes. He may very well not be the starter. I expect him to be, but would not be shocked if he wasn't. Huesman is a 100 m sprinter on Chattanooga's track team(yeah, I know we suck in track) and he is probably a little further along when it comes to being able to throw the ball. But regardless of who the starter is, I expect the starter to get only about 60-40 playing time early in the year. Both are too talented not to at least give them several shots in live game action. As far as the mocs running game goes, they have 5 good, probably not great backs. There is no question marks there, they can all contribute. Maybe we need 1 guy to emerge though. If there was one guy it could be any of Williams(suspended last year, seemed to emerge as true freshman in 2010 late in the year) green(seemed to emerge late last year as a redshirt freshman) or Huitt(who redshirted last year but has quite a bit of skill.) Jackson and Awuah are the seniors who have had their moments but are not great. But the real question mark is offensive line. It ought to be at least a little bit better just based on the fact that everyone is back as well a couple guys who were injured and a couple of highly recruited freshman. But it needs to be significantly better(to win the national title.)

seantaylor
May 16th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Chatty should finish 4th or 5th.

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM
If he can go 8 - 15 for 120 each game and run for 200 and 2 touchdowns, Chatty wins a lot of games... or at least stays competitive in a lot of them.

I definitely agree with that. UTC's quarterback situation is probably one of the big questions circling the 2012 SoCon season. If Robinson does not take a big leap forward in a league now prepared to defend him, UTC is a .500 team. Again, that is just my opinion. Great defense, but they won't be able to score.

At the end of the day, what you are suggesting Robinson has to do to keep UTC in games triple his passing from 2011 (42 ypg), and quadruple his rushing totals (52 ypg). I imagine UTC will be tough to beat if he can do that.

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM
As far as Robinson goes. He may very well not be the starter. I expect him to be, but would not be shocked if he wasn't. Huesman is a 100 m sprinter on Chattanooga's track team(yeah, I know we suck in track) and he is probably a little further along when it comes to being able to throw the ball. But regardless of who the starter is, I expect the starter to get only about 60-40 playing time early in the year. Both are too talented not to at least give them several shots in live game action. As far as the mocs running game goes, they have 5 good, probably not great backs. There is no question marks there, they can all contribute. Maybe we need 1 guy to emerge though. If there was one guy it could be any of Williams(suspended last year, seemed to emerge as true freshman in 2010 late in the year) green(seemed to emerge late last year as a redshirt freshman) or Huitt(who redshirted last year but has quite a bit of skill.) Jackson and Awuah are the seniors who have had their moments but are not great. But the real question mark is offensive line. It ought to be at least a little bit better just based on the fact that everyone is back as well a couple guys who were injured and a couple of highly recruited freshman. But it needs to be significantly better(to win the national title.)

Huseman looks talented, but at the end of the day, no one knows what he's capable of. Furman has a player like that in Travis Eman -- highly regarded freshman dual threat quarterback. I'd love to think he'll take the conference by storm, but you never know.

UTC has some decent backs, but they need a Kevin Richardson type if they are going to make that spread option work. The last UTC running back whose name I can even remember was Eldra Buckley, and he's been gone a while. There's a big need on their part to get someone back there who is a legitimate three down threat and can take the pressure off whomever the Mocs go with at quarterback.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I definitely agree with that. UTC's quarterback situation is probably one of the big questions circling the 2012 SoCon season. If Robinson does not take a big leap forward in a league now prepared to defend him, UTC is a .500 team. Again, that is just my opinion. Great defense, but they won't be able to score.

At the end of the day, what you are suggesting Robinson has to do to keep UTC in games triple his passing from 2011 (42 ypg), and quadruple his rushing totals (52 ypg). I imagine UTC will be tough to beat if he can do that.

Robinson was the league's freshman of the year for a reason. Pretty much everyone was impressed with him but you, which is understandable because he did play poorly against your team. But to continue to spout off the nonsensical garbage about him not being able to complete a pass and how terrible you think he is, should be a little bit of embarrassing at this point. If you are going to post stats at least post some with a little relevance. Robinson was not Chattanooga's starter last year except in a few games. He did not play full games posting stats about yards per game is pretty absurd.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Huseman looks talented, but at the end of the day, no one knows what he's capable of. Furman has a player like that in Travis Eman -- highly regarded freshman dual threat quarterback. I'd love to think he'll take the conference by storm, but you never know.

UTC has some decent backs, but they need a Kevin Richardson type if they are going to make that spread option work. The last UTC running back whose name I can even remember was Eldra Buckley, and he's been gone a while. There's a big need on their part to get someone back there who is a legitimate three down threat and can take the pressure off whomever the Mocs go with at quarterback.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone inside Chattanooga's program has a pretty good idea of what Huesman is capable of. He ran the scout team last year and split first team reps all spring. He wouldn't be in a competition with a guy like Robinson(who unlike you, our coaches like alot) if he wasn't showing something.

Secondly, Chattanooga won't be running a spread option. Their RBs are definitely good enough. Not sure why in the world they would need a back that is like one of the best backs in SOCON history just to make their offense "work."

asumike83
May 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Well I got my information from both the article I posted as well as others here is from the article I posted

After redshirting in 2009 following ankle surgery, Lott had seven tackles in three games during the 2010 season. He played in just two games last season, after a scooter accident last July that resulted in a leg injury and surgery. Lott finished his UGA career with 10 tackles.

I got this from the AJC

Lott played in just five career games. He concludes his UGA career with 10 total tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss.

Defensive line coach Rodney Garner spoke glowingly of Lott’s progress and abilities earlier this week. Though a career backup, Lott had tripped over some bad fortune — he ripped open his leg in a scooter accident before this past season — and appeared to be coming into his own this spring. According to several accounts of recent interviews with Lott, he spoke excitedly and optimistically about the upcoming season and the prospects it held for him.

and This from the Ledger-enquirer

This spring Lott was hoping to take advantage of the graduation of DeAngelo Tyson, one of only two starters leaving the team. But he was still behind Garrison Smith, who started when Tyson got hurt last year, and this spring Cornelius Washington and Ray Drew were getting snaps at end.

So it appears that he probably wasn't a 2nd stringer especially since Georgia now runs a 3-4 if I'm not mistaken. Although I'm not sure what Ray Drew and Washington getting snaps at DE has to do with Lott since he was a DT Unless he was planning on getting snaps at DE in that system since you want large DEs.

Nevertheless the injuries and the fact that Georgia switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after his recruitment and his injury issues as well as the glowing remarks from his position coaches just before he left. Seem to tell a story different from just looking at how many snaps he got. He seemed to be a better player for them than the stats would suggest. He is a major addition here. We will see how he pans out but it could be HUGE.

I have no doubt that he could be a big part of your defense. That does explain it a little better though; he's had to fight some injuries and had a change of defensive scheme, could have been buried on the depth chart at UGA. Regardless, the kid is obviously very big and athletic, no reason he can't make an impact.

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Robinson was the league's freshman of the year for a reason. Pretty much everyone was impressed with him but you, which is understandable because he did play poorly against your team. But to continue to spout off the nonsensical garbage about him not being able to complete a pass and how terrible you think he is, should be a little bit of embarrassing at this point. If you are going to post stats at least post some with a little relevance. Robinson was not Chattanooga's starter last year except in a few games. He did not play full games posting stats about yards per game is pretty absurd.

I never said I was not impressed with him. I was.

I am looking at big picture, here. Being the SoCon freshman of the year is a great thing, but that does not improve your team. Elon had a linebacker a number of years ago (Nkang) who was clearly the best defensive player in the league, and Elon sucked something awful. That and a nickle buy you nothing.

UTC had one of the league's worst offenses. They graduated their only productive receiver and their most talented quarterback. Robinson had some great moments, but he averaged 1 yard/completion. If Huseman has confidence that this kid is going to elevate the Mocs to the next level, he needs to be able to force defenses to back off the line of scrimmage. He's got a lot of talent, that is clear, but even the most talented runners in the league are going to struggle against 8 and 9 man fronts. He has to be able to throw the ball. Even you admit he may not be the starter. Why? Because he doesn't necessarily make UTC better.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I never said I was not impressed with him. I was.

I am looking at big picture, here. Being the SoCon freshman of the year is a great thing, but that does not improve your team. Elon had a linebacker a number of years ago (Nkang) who was clearly the best defensive player in the league, and Elon sucked something awful. That and a nickle buy you nothing.

UTC had one of the league's worst offenses. They graduated their only productive receiver and their most talented quarterback. Robinson had some great moments, but he averaged 1 yard/completion. If Huseman has confidence that this kid is going to elevate the Mocs to the next level, he needs to be able to force defenses to back off the line of scrimmage. He's got a lot of talent, that is clear, but even the most talented runners in the league are going to struggle against 8 and 9 man fronts. He has to be able to throw the ball. Even you admit he may not be the starter. Why? Because he doesn't necessarily make UTC better.

1 yard/completion? What does that mean His passing stats were 27-43(62.8 pct) 336 yds and 6 tds. Sure that is a small sample size. But your insinuation that the couldn't hit the broad side of a barn or show the ability to take advantage of an 8 or 9 man front is just flat out wrong. When he threw the ball he generally did it very efficiently and accurately. The reason he may not be the starter is because Jacob Huesman is good. If Huesman wasn't here, trust me the coaches would be perfectly content with Robinson. As far as him not making the mocs better, what does that even mean? Better than Who? Better than what?

Pretending that Joel Bradford is some epic loss is pretty exaggerated. He put up big numbers, mostly because of his chemistry with Coleman. He is not that big of a loss. We have other guys at receiver who can do what he did as far as running and catching. They may not have the same chemistry that he and coleman had to be able to put up the same numbers but he would not be leading this team in receiving this year even if he was back. Don't be surprised if the Mocs add a receiver from the SEC in the near future as well.

asumike83
May 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Pretending that Joel Bradford is some epic loss is pretty exaggerated. He put up big numbers, mostly because of his chemistry with Coleman. He is not that big of a loss. We have other guys at receiver who can do what he did as far as running and catching. They may not have the same chemistry that he and coleman had to be able to put up the same numbers but he would not be leading this team in receiving this year even if he was back.

Your opinion of him seems to be much different than in 2011:

How about Draft prospect to Draft prospect? How about production over nothing? Joel Bradford has a better chance of playing in the national football league than Brian Quick. He might not be as high a pick, or even get drafted, but a much better chance of sticking. Brian Quick's are a dime a dozen. The Wes Welker, Greg Carmarillo Danny Armendola, Julian Edelman type is here to stay.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Your opinion of him seems to be much different than in 2011:

Yep. Joel was a fast guy that had good hands and ran good routes. But he didnt even get an NFL tryout. Quick was a highpick. Im not really sure why either of those came to pass nut at this point we can already say that I was way off. Congrats

asumike83
May 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Yep. Joel was a fast guy that had good hands and ran good routes. But he didnt even get an NFL tryout. Quick was a highpick. Im not really sure why either of those came to pass nut at this point we can already say that I was way off. Congrats

Quick is in a different league physically and his potential in the NFL is off the charts, which is what got him selected.

However, my point was not just to say that you were off on your Quick/Bradford prediction (although I couldn't resist) but to say that Bradford will be a significant loss. He's been UTC's leading receiver the last two seasons and while he may not have been as big a focal point in 2011 as Quick was, y'all will have a significant hole to fill at WR, similar to ASU. Losing your go-to guy is always tough, I will be interested to see if somebody can step up on both teams. Combine that with the loss of your best QB and there will be some serious questions about the UTC offense until they can prove their ability to score against conference competition.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Quick is in a different league physically and his potential in the NFL is off the charts, which is what got him selected.

However, my point was not just to say that you were off on your Quick/Bradford prediction (although I couldn't resist) but to say that Bradford will be a significant loss. He's been UTC's leading receiver the last two seasons and while he may not have been as big a focal point in 2011 as Quick was, y'all will have a significant hole to fill at WR, similar to ASU. Losing your go-to guy is always tough, I will be interested to see if somebody can step up on both teams. Combine that with the loss of your best QB and there will be some serious questions about the UTC offense until they can prove their ability to score against conference competition.

Not really comparable. Quick was your most productive and talented receiver by a mile. Bradford was the most productive because of his long time relationship and chemistry with BJ Coleman dating back to high school. Marlon Anthony is Chattanooga's most talented WR and has been so for several years. Tommy Hudson and Ron Moore are in the same mold as Bradford and probably can combine to pick up a lot of his slack.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM
UGA has not exactly been loaded at the RB position lately...a lot of highly-touted recruits not panning out plus a good bit of attrition (legal troubles) has left their cupboard pretty dry.

As far as Huesman goes, has he got any looks from FBS schools in recruiting? Somehow, I have a hard time believing he will overtake Robinson as a true freshman unless Huesman Sr. pulls a Rodney Allison.

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM
UGA has not exactly been loaded at the RB position lately...a lot of highly-touted recruits not panning out plus a good bit of attrition (legal troubles) has left their cupboard pretty dry.

As far as Huesman goes, has he got any looks from FBS schools in recruiting? Somehow, I have a hard time believing he will overtake Robinson as a true freshman unless Huesman Sr. pulls a Rodney Allison.

He got a scholarship offer from Air Force and was looked at by Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Middle Tennessee, and Wake Forest. The great thing about it though is no matter who wins the job, both will play significant minutes and if it will be apparent if Huesman is not at the level of Robinson.

oldsouthernman
May 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Georgia Tech did offer. Kid is one helluva an athlete. He will make his mark in the So Con sooner than later imo. And yes, the Mocs defense will be great this fall. Stacked across the board. Huge up front, 3 DE's that are among the best in the conference and LB's that are nasty.They will be far better than last years top 7 D nationally.
Link to Huesman's GaTech offer.
http://www.tfponline.com/news/2011/feb/09/utc-huesman-qb-son-jacob/

chattownmocs
May 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Georgia Tech did offer. Kid is one helluva an athlete. He will make his mark in the So Con sooner than later imo. And yes, the Mocs defense will be great this fall. Stacked across the board. Huge up front, 3 DE's that are among the best in the conference and LB's that are nasty.They will be far better than last years top 7 D nationally.
Link to Huesman's GaTech offer.
http://www.tfponline.com/news/2011/feb/09/utc-huesman-qb-son-jacob/

Yeah I forgot about that, I think people are going to be surprised when they see him play.