PDA

View Full Version : NDSU - SHSU...who wins?

Sam_Kats
May 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
...in baseball? xchinscratchx

NDSU (37-15) (13-7 League play)

Quality wins: #14 Arizona

Sam (34-16) (22-8 League play)

Quality wins: #5 Rice, #21 San Diego (won series), Texas State (won series)

Wait...this is a FOOTBALL board?!?!?!

BisonFan02
May 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Right now? Probably not NDSU...we've been up and down lately.

frozennorth
May 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM
don't you goons play in the same opening mbb tourney?

LakesBison
May 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM
not goons, but yes, they both play vs each other in the georgetown/duquense bball opening tourney.

NDSU wins if Straka pitches, he's a legit draft guy. Otherwise, probably not.

Sammy94
May 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
No punter in baseball, advantage Kats.

Sam_Kats
May 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Well played.

MplsBison
May 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Metal bats = not real baseball.

asumike83
May 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Sure better than no baseball at all. Virtually no athletic departments would be able to fund a baseball team if they had to pay for all the wooden bats that would be used up throughout the year. Those things are not cheap and splinter all the time in practice and games. In a perfect world, I'd prefer wooden bats as well but I love college baseball.

Sam_Kats
May 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Metal bats = not real baseball.

So, technically, unless you were drafted or received an invite to one of the "Best of the Best" camps out of High School, NONE of us played "real" baseball growing up?? Hmmmm.....

Sounds like a hockey fan to me.

Apphole
May 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
App State #24

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top-25/rankings/2012/2613401.html

Quality wins:
2-1 series win oner #4 LSU

darell1976
May 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM
App State #24

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top-25/rankings/2012/2613401.html

Quality wins:
2-1 series win oner #4 LSU

Congrats on being rankedxsmileyclapx...and good luck to all the FCS teams in the tournament.xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
May 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Sure better than no baseball at all. Virtually no athletic departments would be able to fund a baseball team if they had to pay for all the wooden bats that would be used up throughout the year. Those things are not cheap and splinter all the time in practice and games. In a perfect world, I'd prefer wooden bats as well but I love college baseball.
The North Dakota High School Activities Association requires all ND high schools to use wood bats. Most ND high schools have a lot less money to spend on bats than college teams do and it hasn't led to a mass shutdown of high school baseball programs around the state. You can buy composite wood bats that are very difficult to break and, although they are more expensive then traditional wood bats, they are much cheaper the high end aluminum bats that most college teams use.

I won't use MplsBison style hyperbole but I prefer wood bats over aluminum bats and I wish the NCAA would mandate wood bats. It rewards better pitching and makes hitters be more precise with the smaller sweet spot that wood bats have. And, as pretty much everyone would agree, the *crack* is far preferrable to the *ting* at a baseball game.

asumike83
May 14th, 2012, 05:06 PM
The North Dakota High School Activities Association requires all ND high schools to use wood bats. Most ND high schools have a lot less money to spend on bats than college teams do and it hasn't led to a mass shutdown of high school baseball programs around the state. You can buy composite wood bats that are very difficult to break and, although they are more expensive then traditional wood bats, they are much cheaper the high end aluminum bats that most college teams use.

I won't use MplsBison style hyperbole but I prefer wood bats over aluminum bats and I wish the NCAA would mandate wood bats. It rewards better pitching and makes hitters be more precise with the smaller sweet spot that wood bats have. And, as pretty much everyone would agree, the *crack* is far preferrable to the *ting* at a baseball game.

I don't disagree, I absolutely prefer wooden bats. It's impressive to see it done at the high school level, I have not seen a wooden bat high school league around here. However, the amount of guys getting sawed off against D1 pitching would be significantly more than high school. Much stronger guys on both sides of the pitch. Most baseball programs get the football and basketball crumbs because they do not generate anywhere near the revenue, so I'd be surprised if many schools would want to increase costs that much. Could they do it without going under? Sure, but I could see many athletic departments deciding not to.

asumike83
May 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
As for the game, I'd take Sam Houston. They have played a much tougher schedule. SHSU should be a lock for the NCAA tournament, been in and out of the national rankings all season.

BisonFan02
May 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
As for the game, I'd take Sam Houston. They have played a much tougher schedule. SHSU should be a lock for the NCAA tournament, been in and out of the national rankings all season.

I would agree. NDSU's baseball program is improving though. However, we will always battle having to play up north...

asumike83
May 14th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I would agree. NDSU's baseball program is improving though. However, we will always battle having to play up north...

Absolutely, NDSU is having a nice season. You guys could definitely make it to the regionals as well, I think it will come down to y'all and ORU in the conference tournament to see who gets the bid.

Professor Chaos
May 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I don't disagree, I absolutely prefer wooden bats. It's impressive to see it done at the high school level, I have not seen a wooden bat high school league around here. However, the amount of guys getting sawed off against D1 pitching would be significantly more than high school. Much stronger guys on both sides of the pitch. Most baseball programs get the football and basketball crumbs because they do not generate anywhere near the revenue, so I'd be surprised if many schools would want to increase costs that much. Could they do it without going under? Sure, but I could see many athletic departments deciding not to.
That's probably true. I still think college programs could afford it but it would be a shame if that was the straw that broke the camel's back at some cash strapped places and caused more D1 baseball programs to fold.

Mr. C
May 15th, 2012, 12:53 AM

Not true in the least. The bat lobby is what has kept aluminum and composite bats in college. The wood bat companies would subsidize college programs to take that back over (it has been talked about over the years). It would also make the game safer.

Twentysix
May 15th, 2012, 01:24 AM
NDSU in baseball and softball. xthumbsupx (football and basketball too)

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2012, 02:25 AM

If we are talking baseball, does that mean our D/pitching has a 6.00 ERA against the football team? How does that work? :D

Sam_Kats
May 15th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Since the Southland gets pounded nationally in football, can we pile on the Summit Leauge (is that right??) even though you STILL have 7 losses in the league?!?!

asumike83
May 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Not true in the least. The bat lobby is what has kept aluminum and composite bats in college. The wood bat companies would subsidize college programs to take that back over (it has been talked about over the years). It would also make the game safer.

It is a couple of years old but the last I'd seen, wood bats looked like a possibility down the road but costs were the primary factor in keeping them out of college baseball:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news?slug=kr-batdebate100710

The wood issue runs deeper, though. It boils down to money.

Despite the fact some junior colleges and smaller colleges in other NCAA divisions already use wood bats, many coaches at the Division I level believe wood bats would be a financial burden on the programs and that bat quality potentially could be low. Wood bats break.

“I think the cost factor is the main reason we haven’t gone to a wood bat,” Serrano said. “It’s a cost factor because you have to think about how many bats college teams will go through in a year. MLB is always going to get the best wood and there’s a chance we’d be stuck with the second-tier wood. Getting lower grade wood really wouldn’t be good for our game.”

Serrano believes MLB could get more involved in Division I baseball and help subsidize the cost of bats. In turn, he says, it would give MLB scouts a better idea of what to expect going into the draft without having to evaluate players only in wood-bat summer leagues.

Mainieri isn’t buying that idea.

“Players are getting plenty of time with wood during the summer,” he said. “If a scout can’t determine the value of a player with an aluminum bat versus a wooden bat, who really cares? That would be an excuse and quite frankly isn’t something that we should worry about.”

The reluctance to move to wood also is the result of coaches’ lucrative contracts with aluminum bat companies. There is a prevailing thought that these contracts could shift from aluminum to wood bat companies.

That could be difficult, though. Aluminum bat companies essentially have free advertising when teams get to Omaha, and they’re mainly marketing to high school and youth league kids by giving bats to college teams. Wood bat companies would have less marketing incentive. There also would be salary ramifications because some coaches are paid more a year by bat companies than they are by their colleges.

I'd love to see college baseball switch to wood bats but it sounds like shifting the contracts over to wood bat companies to subsidize college baseball programs may not be quick or easy. The aluminum bat companies eat up all the free advertising to youth and high school leagues at the CWS, while wood bat companies would not reap that benefit. I could see it happening down the road but there would be some red tape involved. As usual, I'd expect it to come down to what is more profitable.

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Since the Southland gets pounded nationally in football, can we pile on the Summit Leauge (is that right??) even though you STILL have 7 losses in the league?!?!

I wouldn't blame you. The Summit for baseball is top heavy, and ORU typically dominates the league (won the championship every year since 1999, only splitting it with SDSU in 2010). Again, like I said earlier, a team like ORU being out of Tulsa, OK competing against northern squads does put them at a slight advantage.

MplsBison
May 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Safety should be the only concern. But...coaches, players, parents and people in general just don't give a crap. They want runs.

At least, not until their player/teammate/son gets hit in the head by a line drive. That sort of thing tends to change opinions pretty quick.

MplsBison
May 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't blame you. The Summit for baseball is top heavy, and ORU typically dominates the league (won the championship every year since 1999, only splitting it with SDSU in 2010). Again, like I said earlier, a team like ORU being out of Tulsa, OK competing against northern squads does put them at a slight advantage.

College baseball (and softball) should be played from May through Aug. If the southern schools won't sign up, then piss on them. The northern schools can have their own championship.

asumike83
May 15th, 2012, 10:00 AM
College baseball (and softball) should be played from May through Aug. If the southern schools won't sign up, then piss on them. The northern schools can have their own championship.

The problem with starting that late is that the College World Series would be competing with college football for viewers and losing badly. The CWS is the only time the sport really gets a lot of national attention. It generates much needed revenue for college baseball. Being a cold-weather school in a conference with predominantly warm-weather schools, I wouldn't mind seeing the start pushed back a bit but not that much.

MplsBison
May 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
The problem with starting that late is that the College World Series would be competing with college football for viewers and losing badly. The CWS is the only time the sport really gets a lot of national attention. It generates much needed revenue for college baseball. Being a cold-weather school in a conference with predominantly warm-weather schools, I wouldn't mind seeing the start pushed back a bit but not that much.

Have it in Aug.

Sam_Kats
May 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Oral Roberts will compete in the Southland next year (or the next...one of those). Good pickup for baseball.

Professor Chaos
May 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Oral Roberts will compete in the Southland next year (or the next...one of those). Good pickup for baseball.
Its a good pickup for the SLC in a lot of sports. They have a good men's and women's basketball program as well. I was disappointed to see them leave the Summit but it make sense for them with the Summit footprint gradually moving more and more north.

MplsBison
May 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Its a good pickup for the SLC in a lot of sports. They have a good men's and women's basketball program as well. I was disappointed to see them leave the Summit but it make sense for them with the Summit footprint gradually moving more and more north.

I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Keep tightening the Summit footprint (less travel) and makes it that much easier to get the one-bid.

PurpleOut
May 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Good luck with that.

PurpleOut
May 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Basketball too, they should be the favorite for both of those next year (or whatever year).

Twentysix
May 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM
If they are a favorite to win it in their first year, lookout once sutton has his fingers wrangled around your league referee's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Scott_Sutton.jpg/220px-Scott_Sutton.jpg

He has a way of influencing referees.