PDA

View Full Version : Montana football bans Twitter

darell1976
May 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.egriz.com/2012/05/tweet-no-more-griz-football-bans-twitter/

In a somewhat shocking yet completely understandable action, the Montana Grizzly Football players are no longer allowed to use Twitter while a member of the team. The source of the banning isn’t quite clear as I’ve heard rumors that it was the coaches decision as well as rumors that it was a collective decision of the Seniors on the football team.

gotts
May 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Talk about getting Spadolaed...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.egriz.com/2012/05/tweet-no-more-griz-football-bans-twitter/

Man, I really like this move if it really was a collective decision that the coach made in concert with the seniors. I said a couple of months back that one problem we could work on getting rid of was an appearance that some players didn't see themselves as accountable to their teammates.

danefan
May 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Its been a common theme at DI for a year or so now. Its a smart decision.

Smitty
May 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Well I guess the whole freedom of speech thing makes way for football. But I can understand with the crazy people posting in the past few years.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Well I guess the whole freedom of speech thing makes way for football. But I can understand with the crazy people posting in the past few years.

They have freedom of speech. Just not on twitter if they want to play football.

You have the freedom of masturbating, but if you do it at work you will get fired.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
They have freedom of speech. Just not on twitter if they want to play football.

You have the freedom of masturbating, but if you do it at work you will get fired.

Exactly.xlolx

Freedom of speech is about speaking out against or dissenting against the government, not being able to do or say anything you want in an organization.

Apphole
May 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Wish we would follow suit....

http://www.appfan.com/2011/11/17/another-freshman-lineman-gone/

HailSzczur
May 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Our basketball team has the same policy, but its only in place during the season.

HailSzczur
May 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Exactly.xlolx

Freedom of speech is about speaking out against or dissenting against the government, not being able to do or say anything you want in an organization.

Also, when you sign up to be a Montana football player, or any college athlete I believe, you check some privileges at the door. You freely choose to play DI sports, and if the coach and captains tell you to do something for the good of the team you damn well better do it. Just my xtwocentsx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Talk about getting Spadolaed...

xlolx

clenz
May 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Our basketball team has the same policy, but its only in place during the season.

Our basketball and football teams do that as well.....

Sometimes I wish it was an all year thing. We have some players with over 12k tweet.

Squealofthepig
May 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
What HailSzczur said about checking privileges; there are certain things you're expected to do and not do in any code of conduct agreement.

The Missoulian also has an article (a bit less annoying to navigate than egriz, but if you run noscript or the like check out how many scripts are run on the page) - http://missoulian.com/news/local/montana-grizzlies-football-players-sign-off-twitter/article_2f3603b4-9b14-11e1-b72f-001a4bcf887a.html

Pertinent part:

Interim athletic director Jean Gee said the team met Wednesday, and made its final decision about Twitter. Players will still use Facebook and other forms of social media, she said.

But Twitter, with its potential to have “things lifted that while they think they are innocent, may be perceived as not innocent,” was deemed too problematic, she said.

Also interesting to note that Jim O'Day still has his old twitter going, @UMAthleticsAD, which seemed more fit for mathletics with ADHD.