PDA

View Full Version : Where there is smoke--Idaho to the Big Sky

cpalum
May 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I thought this deserved a new thread....

http://www.kboi2.com/sports/Idaho-Vandals-off-to-the-Big-Sky-Rob-Spear-150695545.html?tab=video&c=y

Id say that Idaho to the Big Sky is getting close to a done deal.

darell1976
May 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I thought this deserved a new thread....

http://www.kboi2.com/sports/Idaho-Vandals-off-to-the-Big-Sky-Rob-Spear-150695545.html?tab=video&c=y

Id say that Idaho to the Big Sky is getting close to a done deal.

Just an informal poll but to all fans of Big Sky teams....do you welcome Idaho back to the Big Sky? As a North Dakota fan I welcome them, and cannot wait to have conference and non-conference games against them. They destroyed us the last two years so having them come to our dome would be a nice payback. Plus it adds another FCS team to the west where its pretty bare west of the Mississippi.

cpalum
May 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well since Cal Poly is Big Sky/Big West I'm only interested in their football team. Id love to see Idaho play at Spanos Stadium in SLO!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM
WAC obits may be premature at this point, but the conference will have to move quickly to be viable for the 2013-2014 season. Schools are unafraid to do what's in their own best interest, and conference loyalty seems at an all-time low.

xlolx

Frankly, I don't see why, after reading these two articles, that an Idaho move to FCS is anywhere near imminent.

Idaho is looking at four options, according to Spear. Feedback has been split 50-50 between staying in the football bowl subdivision and going back to the championship subdivision's more regional Big Sky Conference.

Spear said he's talked to every conference commissioner with the exception of PAC12 leader Larry Scott. His priority is finding a single-conference home for all its sports which plays FBS football.

If that's not possible, getting football into an FBS conference by itself while olympic sports remain in the WAC or different conference is an option, as is independent status in football. Conversations with Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton were purely informational, Spear said.

I read this to say that their preference is staying in the WAC in all sports but football, and trying to join an FBS conference as an affiliate member.

Silenoz
May 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Just an informal poll but to all fans of Big Sky teams....do you welcome Idaho back to the Big Sky? As a North Dakota fan I welcome them, and cannot wait to have conference and non-conference games against them. They destroyed us the last two years so having them come to our dome would be a nice payback. Plus it adds another FCS team to the west where its pretty bare west of the Mississippi.
Yes, one more do-able road trip

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I wish Idaho would come back down. We had some great games with them that lead me to hate them as a kid. Then they became a worthless piece of the FBS and I no longer cared.

darell1976
May 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
xlolx

Frankly, I don't see why, after reading these two articles, that an Idaho move to FCS is anywhere near imminent.

I read this to say that their preference is staying in the WAC in all sports but football, and trying to join an FBS conference as an affiliate member.

Why don't they join the BSC in football and keep the rest in the WAC. Come on Idaho you are not going to survive in Indy hell, and the PAC 12 will not even think twice about accepting you so just give it up.

darell1976
May 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I wish Idaho would come back down. We had some great games with them that lead me to hate them as a kid. Then they became a worthless piece of the FBS and I no longer cared.

As a new fan of the FCS....how was Idaho when they were in the FCS? Were they a powerhouse or just an average team.

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Big Sky Champs:
1985 Idaho 6-1-0
1987 Idaho 7-1-0
1988 Idaho 7-1-0
1989 Idaho 8-0-0
1992 Idaho 6-1-0

They left in 96

cpalum
May 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Come on Idaho you are not going to survive in Indy hell, and the PAC 12 will not even think twice about accepting you so just give it up.

They do not need to give it up....I admire Idaho for their commitment to FBS...They have gotten screwed; the WAC literally imploded and left them holding the bag with a bunch of teams who have never even played under the WAC banner (sans NMSU)

They dont need to give up that desire..they just need to acknowledge the reality of the situation and come back to the Big Sky for a while to give them the stability that they currently lack.

Big Sky membership certainly does not seem to preclude FBS invites...just ask Montana, Montana State, Davis, Cal Poly.....Sac State and others. If they sell tickets to that dome or better yet build a bigger venue they will get back to a stable FBS conference. xtwocentsx

Hammerhead
May 9th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Perhaps the Big Sky is looking for a replacement in case North Dakota keeps the Fighting Sue nickname. :)

darell1976
May 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Perhaps the Big Sky is looking for a replacement in case North Dakota keeps the Fighting Sue nickname. :)

xshhhx Don't say that.

BisonBacker
May 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
He doesn't have to say it but more than a few are thinking it!

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I would welcome Idaho back to the Big Sky, I think it would be great to renew the rivalry with the team we have played the second most in school history. I don't remember much from when Idaho was in the conference, but I have heard from a lot of people that the rivalry was just as intense, if not more intense than our rivalry with the cats. I know quite a few older people who still hate Idaho more than msu.

darell1976
May 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
He doesn't have to say it but more than a few are thinking it!

I guess in 34 days we will find out.

Grizcountry420
May 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I would welcome Idaho back to the Big Sky, I think it would be great to renew the rivalry with the team we have played the second most in school history. I don't remember much from when Idaho was in the conference, but I have heard from a lot of people that the rivalry was just as intense, if not more intense than our rivalry with the cats. I know quite a few older people who still hate Idaho more than msu.

Not even on the same level..

bobcathpdevil56
May 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Yes. They would be a great team to add. I don't remember much about playing Idaho when they were a powerhouse, but as to being a bigger rivalry with the cats, that could be very true considering it is tough to be a real rivalry when you get beaten by the team 16 straight times

laxVik
May 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
My sources say (which are 20 year olds with blogs) that Idaho goes Big Sky for all sports but football.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes. They would be a great team to add. I don't remember much about playing Idaho when they were a powerhouse, but as to being a bigger rivalry with the cats, that could be very true considering it is tough to be a real rivalry when you get beaten by the team 16 straight times

In spite of MSU having a long, bad run they were on fairly equal footing as far as rivals go in the mid 80's to the mid 90's but as an overall all time rival MSU is the leader by a decent margin.

Somewhere around 89 pr 90 ESPN televised a regular season game from Moscow against the Griz.

As far as wanting them back in the conference...yes. They had rabid fans that traveled real well, were fun to party with, and never thought they would lose.

My kind of people.:D

MplsBison
May 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
It only makes sense for non-football sports.

They're not moving their football program to the Big Sky any time soon.

PantherRob82
May 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
UNI

9/28 at Idaho .......................... W, 36-14

10/24 Idaho ............................ W, 27-26 -This is one of the most memorable games I have EVER been to. #1 vs #2. Idaho had a chance at a FG to win. The UNI-Dome was so unbearably loud for that FG attempt. I was 10. Wow. Goosebumps. Both team won their conference. UNI lost to YSU in the Semis 19-7

11/5 at Idaho ............................L, 21-12

11/11 Idaho ................................L, 16-12

MplsBison
May 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Both UNI and Idaho firmly belong in the 2nd tier of college football. Which today, is not the FCS. It's lower level FBS.

Perhaps in 10 years there will be a new division with scholarships in the 60-70s.

clenz
May 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
The FCS is currently in the 60's for scholarships....

ursus arctos horribilis
May 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM

I had a good chuckle at that myself.

MplsBison
May 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Correct, 63.

Did you have a point?

dakotadan
May 9th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Perhaps in 10 years there will be a new division with scholarships in the 60-70s.
There already is. It is called DI-FCS.

TheRevSFA
May 9th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Both UNI and Idaho firmly belong in the 2nd tier of college football. Which today, is not the FCS. It's lower level FBS.

Hmmm. I think someone is not aware that there is a subdivision already like this

Green26
May 9th, 2012, 11:11 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1062748/WAC.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Idaho handed Lehigh one of their worst losses in school history, a 77-14 butt kicking in 1993 at the Kibbie Dome. It would be nice to get a little revenge in the playoffs!

AmsterBison
May 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Idaho handed Lehigh one of their worst losses in school history, a 77-14 butt kicking in 1993 at the Kibbie Dome. It would be nice to get a little revenge in the playoffs!

Heh, I was thinking along similar lines. Whether Idaho stays in the FBS or joins the Big Sky, I'd like to see them on NDSU's schedule. One of NDSU's worst losses was to Idaho back in 1952, 51-6 (that's #17 on NDSU's All-Time Biggest Beatdown List) and NDSU is 0-3 against them all-time. Haven't played them since 1952.

darell1976
May 10th, 2012, 07:43 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

bobcathpdevil56
May 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Ha that is dang funny

NDB
May 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Missed opportunity.

One of the games should have been denoted 'Rivalry Weekend'

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Heh, I was thinking along similar lines. Whether Idaho stays in the FBS or joins the Big Sky, I'd like to see them on NDSU's schedule. One of NDSU's worst losses was to Idaho back in 1952, 51-6 (that's #17 on NDSU's All-Time Biggest Beatdown List) and NDSU is 0-3 against them all-time. Haven't played them since 1952.

What a great idea for a blog post this summer: Lehigh's All-Time Biggest Beatdown list.

(Note to Sader87: Holy Cross will feature at least twice in the Top Ten.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
What a great idea for a blog post this summer: Lehigh's All-Time Biggest Beatdown list.

(Note to Sader87: Holy Cross will feature at least twice in the Top Ten.)

Not a bad idea! There's 3 that come to mind for me '93 Idaho, '97 Colgate and '07 Holy Cross.

How did Lehigh's game against Idaho come about? It seems pretty odd the school decided to send the team to Idaho a week before Lafayette. The main reason I remember that game so well is it was on the same day as #1 FSU vs #2 ND.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
There already is. It is called DI-FCS.

Wow you guys are obtuse. Fine, I'll hold your hand and spell it out one letter at a time.

Today's college football tiers:

1st - BCS conferences in FBS - 85 scholarships
2nd - Non-BCS conferences in FBS - 85 scholarships
3rd - Full scholarship conferences in FCS - 63 scholarships.
(don't care about anything less)

What's possible in the future:

1st - New division or perhaps a new association altogether of the best schools in the BCS conferences - 85 scholarships at least, maybe more
2nd - New division for sure and if tier 1 schools form a new association, then this would be the new division I in the NCAA - 60-70's scholarships
3rd - New division for those not making it into the new 2nd tier - might be as low as 40-50's scholarships.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Wow you guys are obtuse. Fine, I'll hold your hand and spell it out one letter at a time.

Today's college football tiers:

1st - BCS conferences in FBS - 85 scholarships
2nd - Non-BCS conferences in FBS - 85 scholarships
3rd - Full scholarship conferences in FCS - 63 scholarships.
(don't care about anything less)

What's possible in the future:

1st - New division or perhaps a new association altogether of the best schools in the BCS conferences - 85 scholarships at least, maybe more
2nd - New division for sure and if tier 1 schools form a new association, then this would be the new division I in the NCAA - 60-70's scholarships
3rd - New division for those not making it into the new 2nd tier - might be as low as 40-50's scholarships.

The fact that you made a truncated statement and did not get your point across does not make anyone you are talking to obtuse. It means you did not have the ability to make a cogent post that relays your thought.

That's on you.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
There is no division now that has scholarships in the 70's. There was no other way to interpret it. Obtuse.

bojeta
May 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
There is no division now that has scholarships in the 70's. There was no other way to interpret it. Obtuse.

As my guide on the Big Horn River once told me.. "There's pretty much usually fish here sometimes". Perfectly clear :)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Sure thing slick. That was not the point that there is not a division with 70's. Nobody thought that.

You are just terrible at formulation thoughts and then conveying those thoughts is another weakness so being wrong and misunderstood is a big part of your presence in any situation.

Keep working at it though.xthumbsupx

344Johnson
May 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM

So...a lot of big schools that can afford to have 80-some scholarships would give those up? Don't see why they'd give that up.

dgtw
May 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
When was the last time the NCAA allowed schools to increase scholarship numbers in football?

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
When was the last time the NCAA allowed schools to increase scholarship numbers in football?

"New association"

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
So...a lot of big schools that can afford to have 80-some scholarships would give those up? Don't see why they'd give that up.

Wouldn't be the first time that smaller schools in a division have reached up to pull scholarships down from below. You'd have the new division made up of schools from FBS that were giving 85, but weren't invited to the elite division/association and then the rest of the schools will be from FCS which is giving 63. I can see the FCS schools willing to go up some and could also see some of the lower FBS schools willing to go down some.

I think only the upper end schools in the MW and CUSA, along with the Big East schools if they're left out, would be mad about having to drop from 85. But what can they do? I guess they could form their own association too.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't be the first time that smaller schools in a division have reached up to pull scholarships down from below. You'd have the new division made up of schools from FBS that were giving 85, but weren't invited to the elite division/association and then the rest of the schools will be from FCS which is giving 63. I can see the FCS schools willing to go up some and could also see some of the lower FBS schools willing to go down some.

I think only the upper end schools in the MW and CUSA, along with the Big East schools if they're left out, would be mad about having to drop from 85. But what can they do? I guess they could form their own association too.

So let me see if I follow this... you're saying that the MW and CUSA are going to downgrade to FCS?

344Johnson
May 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM

I'd imagine the teams who would be unwilling to go up to 85 in your scenario would be in the 3rd division....not the 2nd.

Tod
May 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I'd imagine the teams who would be unwilling to go up to 85 in your scenario would be in the 3rd division....not the 2nd.

Unless the rules have changed, FBS schools are required to fund at least 90% of the 85 schollies allowed, which works out to 77, since they are not allowed partials like FCS is. Don't know if any schools actually do/did this, though.

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Unless the rules have changed, FBS schools are required to fund at least 90% of the 85 schollies allowed, which works out to 77, since they are not allowed partials like FCS is. Don't know if any schools actually do/did this, though.

There has never been a legal requirement to fund 85, only a competitive one. Look back at the 1980's when Kansas State funded as few as 47.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/kansas_state/yearly_results.php?year=1985

dbackjon
May 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
There has never been a legal requirement to fund 85, only a competitive one. Look back at the 1980's when Kansas State funded as few as 47.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/kansas_state/yearly_results.php?year=1985

There is now. 90% rule

NoCoDanny
May 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Those results look familiar... xbawlingx

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM

The 2nd tier won't be the same thing as FBS. It will be a combination of schools formally from both FBS and FCS. Therefore there will be some negotiations on a new scholarship limit. I suppose they could agree to have it at 85 like the old FBS division, but my guess is they'll meet in the middle.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM

You are allowed to offer partials in FBS. It's a common misunderstanding because most teams offer the maximum of 85 scholarships to the maximum number of players who can receive a scholarship, also 85. Therefore they are only giving full rides in that case. But there is no rule against partials.

FBS - 76.5 minimum, 85 maximum, to a maximum of 85 players
FCS - no minimum, 63 maximum, to a maximum of 85 players

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
You are allowed to offer partials in FBS blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Not for the first time, nor for the last time, you are completely wrong.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM

This seems like a pot/kettle type of thing. :)

LakesBison
May 10th, 2012, 11:57 PM
why doesnt he just go away, he's not a ndsu fan. no one has ever met him.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
why doesnt he just go away, he's not a ndsu fan. no one has ever met him.

What does that have to do with anything? I'm sure a lot of people deeply regret the fact that they have met you. That doesn't make you a NDSU fan.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM

I'm correct. Partials are allowed in FBS.

For example, UL-Monroe providing 80.5 scholarships to 85 players.

Ginsbach
May 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I think this is a fantastic move and would gladly welcome Idaho back into the Big Sky.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I think this is a fantastic move and would gladly welcome Idaho back into the Big Sky.

For all sports except football.

It would be a smart move by Big Sky. It lets Idaho give FBS indy a shot and if that fails, then leaves the door open to return to Big Sky/I-AA football.

On the other hand, the WAC could survive as:

Idaho - Boise
New Mex St - Denver
CSU-Bakersfield - Utah Valley St
Seattle - ??? Portland St?

darell1976
May 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
For all sports except football.

It would be a smart move by Big Sky. It lets Idaho give FBS indy a shot and if that fails, then leaves the door open to return to Big Sky/I-AA football.

On the other hand, the WAC could survive as:

Idaho - Boise
New Mex St - Denver
CSU-Bakersfield - Utah Valley St
Seattle - ??? Portland St?

You are talking non football sports right?

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
You are talking non football sports right?

Yep. Boise football in the Big East.

A million things could obviously kill this. Boise's Big East deal falling through so they go back to MW in all sports. Or if they somehow bribe the Big West into letting them in that conference for non-football. New Mex St getting an invite to Sun Belt in all sports. Idaho going back to the Big Sky in non-football or all sports. I haven't heard peep from Seattle, Denver, Bakersfield or Utah Valley, but they might be able to get a deal somewhere too.

But it's possible and if Portland St ever wants to go FBS, this could be the last chance in a generation to give it a shot.

darell1976
May 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yep. Boise football in the Big East.

A million things could obviously kill this. Boise's Big East deal falling through so they go back to MW in all sports. Or if they somehow bribe the Big West into letting them in that conference for non-football. New Mex St getting an invite to Sun Belt in all sports. Idaho going back to the Big Sky in non-football or all sports. I haven't heard peep from Seattle, Denver, Bakersfield or Utah Valley, but they might be able to get a deal somewhere too.

But it's possible and if Portland St ever wants to go FBS, this could be the last chance in a generation to give it a shot.

Everyone knows how good Boise is at football are they any good in the non-football sports? I don't recall them in The Dance.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Everyone knows how good Boise is at football are they any good in the non-football sports? I don't recall them in The Dance.

When they were in the BSC Boise & Idaho both had very strong Mens BBall, and Boise had a very strong WBB team as well. They have not had as many tournament appearances lately.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Well, looks like there is hope for Idaho to the Mountain West after all.

Boise St is staying with the Big East, for now. 1) it will depend on who is left in the Big East after this is all said and done (if too many teams leave, the TV contract isn't worth anything and Boise heads back to the MWC) and 2) if they can bamboozle the Big West into letting them park the non-football sports there, tough sell.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19084842