PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Football On NBC

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
"Beginning with the upcoming 2012 football season and continuing through the 2014 lacrosse season, the NBC Sports Network will televise a minimum of six, but no more than 10, football games, six-to-10 men's basketball games, and up to four men's lacrosse games annually.

Even more Ivy League games may be seen on a national basis within this agreement as the NBC Sports Network has acquired the rights to sublicense additional football and men's basketball games to a national sports network. "

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pretzel/Ivy-League-strikes-major-national-television-deal-with-NBC-Sports-Network.html

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
On the football side, it only expands the Ivy games that were on VS. (NBCSN's former name) by a couple games. But it's interesting for a couple of reasons.

First is that NBCSN can take out-of-conference games as a part of this plan, so the PL could get the "exposure" as well.

Second is the basketball/lacrosse side of the house, which is a huge upgrade over their deal from before.

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM
The PL could have had something like this in football, but the CBS offer was much less expansive and the LSN/Ch. 69/SE2 alliance all but eliminates a conference wide deal.

How many other I-AA conferences have no conference wide football package? Patriot, Pioneer, MEAC, and SWAC?

GAD
May 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
The PL could have had something like this in football, but the CBS offer was much less expansive and the LSN/Ch. 69/SE2 alliance all but eliminates a conference wide deal.

How many other I-AA conferences have no conference wide football package? Patriot, Pioneer, MEAC, and SWAC?
SWAC & MEAC have the Thursday night deal with ESPNU

Bogus Megapardus
May 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM

A minimum of 23 Patriot League events were to be broadcast nationally on CBS this year, in addition to the local and regional broadcasts. "Much less expansive" is overstating it a bit. In fact, CBS broadcast more PL events than NBC will broadcast Ivy events. Here are the details of the Patriot League CBS deal for 2011-2012:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/genrel/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/FAQplCBSSNOctober2011.pdf

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 06:27 PM
A minimum of 23 Patriot League events were to be broadcast nationally on CBS this year, in addition to the local and regional broadcasts.

"CBS Sports Network will air a minimum of 23 Patriot League events in 2011-12, including at least 12 men's basketball games, seven men’s lacrosse games, two women's basketball games and two football games."

That's right., under the current CBS plan, it'll be one PL game and one intersectional game, and that's about it. And it's not a stretch to assume CBS College Sports will never set foot at Bucknell or Georgetown for a football game.

If the PL had a conference wide pachage, say, eight games each year, each team could have one or two appearances a season on a satellite network and/or CBS. But there is no conference-wide TV package because Laf and Leh won't give up its local rights for the conference as a whole.

Southsider
May 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM
"CBS Sports Network will air a minimum of 23 Patriot League events in 2011-12, including at least 12 men's basketball games, seven men’s lacrosse games, two women's basketball games and two football games."

That's right., under the current CBS plan, it'll be one PL game and one intersectional game, and that's about it. And it's not a stretch to assume CBS College Sports will never set foot at Bucknell or Georgetown for a football game.

If the PL had a conference wide pachage, say, eight games each year, each team could have one or two appearances a season on a satellite network and/or CBS. But there is no conference-wide TV package because Laf and Leh won't give up its local rights for the conference as a whole.

.........and I don't blame either one. If schollies lead to better league wide OOC performance, then I might reconsider. Otherwise they gain nothing by doing so.

Bogus Megapardus
May 7th, 2012, 08:32 PM
CBS College Sports will never set foot at Bucknell or Georgetown for a football game.

For 2012, CBS will broadcast Lafayette @ Bucknell and Colgate @ Lehigh. Announced today.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050712aab.html

You're batting .000 so far, DFW. xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 11:24 PM
No, I'm batting .500....

Anyway, good for those schools. I maintain that a weekly TV game trumps two games a year, however.

TheBisonator
May 8th, 2012, 03:19 AM

The MVFC technically does not have a conference-wide TV package. Our idiotic deal is with ESPN3.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
No, I'm batting .500....

Anyway, good for those schools. I maintain that a weekly TV game trumps two games a year, however.

It would be a great thing, but the truth is that the dates and times where PL games are broadcast are the most crowded broadcast days on the schedule. Is CBSSN going to broadcast Fordham/Holy Cross or Army/Temple in the same time slot?

Move 1-2 games to Thursday or Friday night would probably give more TV opportunities (for those schools with night lighting), but now, are you simply compromising yourself to get on TV? And is it worth it? It's not like PL schools are getting $20 million per school from their TV deal.

You could tape-delay the game, but is having a tape-delayed game of the week better than having a couple live games a year? And if you tape-delay it, do you allow a live stream for those hardcore fans that want to see it live on their computer? Or do you shut them out for "ratings"?

These are the macro questions for TV at the PL level that I'm sure are being considered. It's not all that easy.

GoBlue06
May 8th, 2012, 12:23 PM
The CAA has a similar deal with NBC

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
The CAA has a similar deal with NBC

CAA deal is for five years, and will broadcast a minimum of five football games, and twelve basketball games each year. CAA will continue its regional coverage on Comcast Sports.

Bogus Megapardus
May 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
CAA deal is for five years, and will broadcast a minimum of five football games, and twelve basketball games each year. CAA will continue its regional coverage on Comcast Sports.

Tribe4SF - do you know if W&M/CAA have exclusivity arrangements with Comcast or NBC that would prevent Lafayette from doing its own broadcast of the Lafayette @ W&M game on September 8? This became a problem for a Lafayette away game last year. Lafayette Sports Network games are live, regional television/cable/satellite, not just internet.

If there's a conflict, I really hope they can work it out in advance and avoid the clusterfug that we had last year. I know this will be a must-see game for Lafayette fans in New York/Philly/Boston areas who receive the Lafayette regional broadcasts. Obviously W&M fans in those areas who don't normally get to see the Tribe play will benefit as well.

If they do work it out, as I hope they do, then this game will be broadcast live across the entire eastern seaboard, from North Carolina to Maine. That would be good for the PL, for the CAA and for real FCS football (not the kind that wants to jump to FBS at the first chance xcoolx).

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Tribe4SF - do you know if W&M/CAA have exclusivity arrangements with Comcast or NBC that would prevent Lafayette from doing its own broadcast of the Lafayette @ W&M game on September 8? This became a problem for a Lafayette away game last year. Lafayette Sports Network games are live, regional television/cable/satellite, not just internet.

If there's a conflict, I really hope they can work it out in advance and avoid the clusterfug that we had last year. I know this will be a must-see game for Lafayette fans in New York/Philly/Boston areas who receive the Lafayette regional broadcasts. Obviously W&M fans in those areas who don't normally get to see the Tribe play will benefit as well.

If they do work it out, as I hope they do, then this game will be broadcast live across the entire eastern seaboard, from North Carolina to Maine. That would be good for the PL, for the CAA and for real FCS football (not the kind that wants to jump to FBS at the first chance xcoolx).

If the game is broadcast. it would be exclusive, but being an OOC that is highly unlikely. Comcast games are all in conference, and NBC games will be as well. Are you coming to Williamsburg for the game?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I know this will be a must-see game for Lafayette fans in New York/Philly/Boston areas who receive the Lafayette regional broadcasts.

They like seeing beatdowns? xlolx

Ivytalk
May 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Harvard-Yale game will be carried both years. No surprise there: tradition and big crowds.

bulldog10jw
May 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Harvard-Yale game will be carried both years. No surprise there: tradition and big crowds.

And a W for H

BearsCountry
May 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I would assume the CAA/Ivy fills up the Noon(EST)/11am(CST) timeslot most of the weeks for NBC Sports Network.