PDA

View Full Version : Big East Commish out

Go...gate
May 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM
ESPN announced earlier this afternoon.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Boise and San Diego: run as quickly as you can back to the west coast. You have no auto bid waiting for you out east.

Do the reasonable thing, stay in the Mountain West.

Seawolf97
May 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
More damage for the Big East to deal with caught everyone by surprise. Rumor has it the non football schools had alot to do with his demise.

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
More damage for the Big East to deal with caught everyone by surprise. Rumor has it the non football schools had alot to do with his demise.

No, not at all. If you stray beyond the ACC propaganda that is ESPN, you will read that Marinatto had discussed this for a while with the school presidents. No CEO walks in Monday morning at 7:00 am and resigns without some discussions beforehand.

HailSzczur
May 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Are you surprised by this? I mean we are the one's getting screwed over by all the conference shuffling. And also look at the make up of the conference prior to the moves, 16 teams, 8 football 8 non football. 3 of the football schools left, so its now a 5/8 balance of power. Schools like Rutgers and UConn have been trying to write their ticket out for awhile, they could most likely careless.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
No, not at all. If you stray beyond the ACC propaganda that is ESPN, you will read that Marinatto had discussed this for a while with the school presidents. No CEO walks in Monday morning at 7:00 am and resigns without some discussions beforehand.

Don't know if it's spin or not, but two Big East ADs were on record as saying they were surprised by the move (http://news.yahoo.com/big-east-commissioner-john-marinatto-resigns-142456330--spt.html).

"John helped build the Big East into what it is today, and played a critical role in our successful expansion efforts, and for all of that we thank him," said Judy Genshaft, President of the University of South Florida and the chair of the conference.

But privately, many in the conference were unhappy by the defections of Pitt and Syracuse, and some blamed Marinatto for being caught off guard.

aceinthehole
May 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM
ESPN announced earlier this afternoon.

Actually, Brett McMurphy was the first to break the story :)

John Marinatto, only the third Big East commissioner in the league's history, resigned Monday, industry sources told CBSSports.com. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18983292

Which was confirmed hours later by ESPN and others ...

The big college sports-related story of Monday morning is here: Big East commissioner John Marinatto has resigned from his post, according to an announcement by the league, a league that is now leaderless as it "works to find its footing amid a rapidly shifting landscape," as Andrea Adelson and Andy Katz wrote this morning:

"Our recent expansion efforts have stabilized the conference for the long term, and we are likewise well positioned for our very important upcoming television negotiations," Marinatto said in the news release. "As a result, I felt this was the right time to step aside and to let someone else lead us through the next chapter of our evolution."

On Sunday night, CBSSports.com reported that Marinatto was asked to resign. According to Adelson and Katz, the exit had been building for weeks, led by basketball members "upset that they had no say in the expansion process." http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/58730/big-east-commish-marinatto-resigns

In a statement released by the Big East moments ago, commissioner John Marinatto confirms what Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.com reported early this morning, that he is stepping down as commissioner. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120507/SPORTS02/305070066/big-east-commission-resigns?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cp

CBSsports.com's Brett McMurphy first reported the news, adding that the league's presidents asked Marinatto to step down. The league's annual meetings are scheduled for next week in Ponte Vedra Beach, near Jacksonville. http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colleges/john-marinatto-resigns-as-big-east-conference-commissioner/1228798

John Marinatto has resigned as commissioner of the Big East Conference.

The move, which was first reported by Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.com, was confirmed early Monday in a statement released by the league. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-07/sports/os-report-john-marinatto-out-as-big-east-commissioner-20120507_1_john-marinatto-big-east-commissioner-smu

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Pete Thamel: "Marinatto had been in discussions with the Big East presidents for weeks about his future. This wasn't sudden."

In the coming days, look for ESPN to spin that the schools without BE football are "disgruntled" at expansion and need to go elsewhere, by their doing or others. In fact, most were among the vocal proponents of same.

How does this affect I-AA football at Villanova and Georgetown? It doesn't.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Amazing. Brett McMurphy not interviewing anyone from the Big East about the news. xlolx

Go...gate
May 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Actually, Marinatto's resignation was requested Sunday evening.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Pete Thamel: "Marinatto had been in discussions with the Big East presidents for weeks about his future. This wasn't sudden."

In the coming days, look for ESPN to spin that the schools without BE football are "disgruntled" at expansion and need to go elsewhere, by their doing or others. In fact, most were among the vocal proponents of same.

How does this affect I-AA football at Villanova and Georgetown? It doesn't.

But then again, Nova and G-town always have had that offer to come on over to the adult's table...

dgtw
May 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
The football and non-football groups should have had an amicable divorce a long time ago. A hybrid model does not work on the FBS level.

HailSzczur
May 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
But then again, Nova and G-town always have had that offer to come on over to the adult's table...

We tried going to the adults table, they told us we needed to grow a bit more and sent us back to the kids table. It's a nice offer but they made it not expecting us to ever take them up on it it seems

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM

That offer expired 14 years ago.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I see a Big East divorce as imminent between the football & non-football schools. Reason: The Marinatto rift all began over the next most pressing issue for the Big East: The TV contract & how to divvy up the $$. Marinatto's suggestion was 3:1 in favor of football schools, which was rejected 12-4 with G'Town vocally leading the opposition. Good luck to the BEC hammering that deal out later in 2012....

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Marinatto's suggestion was 3:1 in favor of football schools, which was rejected 12-4 with G'Town vocally leading the opposition.

Again, misinformation. Georgetown and Pittsburgh opposed it. Other "football" schools did, too, and not because of a 3:1 split.

The ESPN deal was low and the feeling was (and is) that any offer from NBC, CBS, Fox, or some combination with ESPN raises the bid. ESPN turned around from that and arranged for the ACC to add schools--by destabilizing the Big East, ESPN would potentially pay lower rights fees without paying more for the ACC contract it had already signed.

Georgetown is among the most vocal supporters of a large Big East. It would much rather be in the Big East than C-USA or CAA, because a parochial CYO league does not provide the revenues or visibility to sustain its entire program. Georgetown does not seek to be the next NYU.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Well sticking with the facts, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and 10 other schools opposed the deal. Obviously the amount of the deal is huge but when it comes down to it, the crux of it is how to split the pot. The non-football schools are either going to have to accept less than 50% or you're going to see the whole thing blow up.

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Well sticking with the facts, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and 10 other schools opposed the deal. Obviously the amount of the deal is huge but when it comes down to it, the crux of it is how to split the pot. The non-football schools are either going to have to accept less than 50% or you're going to see the whole thing blow up.

They do. Not a deal breaker.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
IMO, the dynamic between the FBS/non-FBS-and-ND factions within the group have caused havoc within the BE, that seems to be certain, and I get the impression that even all the FBS programs don't act in a block, either. I still go back to the whole way the Villanova FBS fiasco happened - running hot, then cold, having "anonymous leaks" to try derail the process (successfully, it seems), yet still giving Nova $1 million for football "facilities improvements". Clearly there were some FBS schools that wanted Nova to go FBS, and others that didn't, and the ugliness about that whole process really sticks out.

Ultimately, though, the issue isn't what was but what is. Pitt, WVa and Syracuse are gone. It's about what the Big East has now, and what do they do with what they have. They clearly have basketball programs that are perennial contenders for the NCAA basketball championship, and have actually made some good moves in that area, getting Memphis, for example. But do they have good enough football programs to justify a good FBS conference, one that might be playing for a crystal trophy? Unless you think Temple, Rutgers or UConn are those programs, I don't think so.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I touch on the Big East in my latest piece for CSJ:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/214-the-college-football-realignment-maelstrom

The Big East has some lucrative television contracts with ESPN, ABC and CBS for various sports, but mostly college basketball.

The league has laid out plans to start its own network in the mold of Pac-12 properties, but admit that it's at least a couple of years off as it won't come to fruition until current network contracts run out.

But in the meantime the Big East will have lost two of its charter members, Pitt and Syracuse, that are formidable draws in both attendance and TV viewership. And West Virginia, which has been one of their most consistent programs as well, is also gone.

To replace those heavy hitters, the Big East had to expand with, well, warm bodies that have FBS football rather than like-minded institutions.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
LFN-

Long, but nice article.

I agree with you that the Big East is in for a wakeup call with their next TV contract, it may be less now that what they originally rejected. The BEC will officially this summer become a second tier conference when the new CFB postseason is agreed upon.

One bone to pick, Villanova playing "almost an hour from the Main Line" at PPL Park? On a Saturday afternoon it'd take 20-25 minutes door to door from VU's campus to PPL Park. Now if you're talking Friday night rush hour on the Blue Route, well maybe. Still, it's no further than their hoops team playing in the Wells Fargo Center.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
That offer expired 14 years ago.

Please. No.

Any bball school that got some huge donation plunked down to start an FBS team and play at an NFL stadium would be welcomed with open arms to the Big East football conference.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
We tried going to the adults table, they told us we needed to grow a bit more and sent us back to the kids table. It's a nice offer but they made it not expecting us to ever take them up on it it seems

It was only the lack of stadium that stopped you. If you could play in the Eagles stadium it would be a done deal.

Just like Nova and G-town play bball in NBA arenas.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
It was only the lack of stadium that stopped you. If you could play in the Eagles stadium it would be a done deal.

Probably true.

HailSzczur
May 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Yeah, but however many years ago how likely did that look? I mean the Phillies, Eagles, and Temple were sharing the Vet so there was no NFL stadium to be had. MLS was still years away from reaching Philly. And Radnor township had the same stance they have today towards Villanova.

This could just be me being bitter, but I think there's a good chance that the BE had no intention of following through because they knew we would never get up to par for FBS football

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
This could just be me being bitter, but I think there's a good chance that the BE had no intention of following through because they knew we would never get up to par for FBS football

Isn't it odd that as soon as the Villanova/PPL Park thing got some traction, "anonymous sources" were making ridiculous noises about how a late-game Big East game at PPL Park would seem (paraphrasing) not big-time enough? The PPL park solution had its faults, but its "TV look" was not one of them. On TV that place looks spectacular.

Bogus Megapardus
May 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Isn't it odd that as soon as the Villanova/PPL Park thing got some traction, "anonymous sources" were making ridiculous noises about how a late-game Big East game at PPL Park would seem (paraphrasing) not big-time enough? The PPL park solution had its faults, but its "TV look" was not one of them. On TV that place looks spectacular.

Everyone will be able to see PPL park on ESPN on May 20. PPL Park will host two of the NCAA lacrosse tournament regional quarterfinal games. The stadium should be full and the games might include FCS schools Yale, Princeton or Colgate, should any them advance. It will be a good chance for people to get a "feel" for how PPL Park comes across. The CAA's Drexel University will be the "official" host of the games at PPL Park. The other NCAA quarterfinal games (on May 19) will be hosted by PL member Navy.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Honestly I don't watch MLS or soccer so I can't speak on that. However, I'm excited about the potential draw at PPL - Notre Dame/UVA and Cuse/Duke vs UMass barring upsets. Maybe I'll even attend.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Everyone will be able to see PPL park on ESPN on May 20. PPL Park will host two of the NCAA lacrosse tournament regional quarterfinal games. The stadium should be full and the games might include FCS schools Yale, Princeton or Colgate, should any them advance. It will be a good chance for people to get a "feel" for how PPL Park comes across. The CAA's Drexel University will be the "official" host of the games at PPL Park. The other NCAA quarterfinal games (on May 19) will be hosted by PL member Navy.

I hate watching sports on TV. Especially sports I never played and therefore can't appreciate the skills needed to excel in it.

But I imagine watching sports at PPL would be fun. Maybe not getting there or being around the stadium before and after the event.

HailSzczur
May 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I hate watching sports on TV. Especially sports I never played and therefore can't appreciate the skills needed to excel in it.

But I imagine watching sports at PPL would be fun. Maybe not getting there or being around the stadium before and after the event.

It's really not as bad as everyone thinks, at least now that they have the new offramp opened by the bridge. Once you get off 322 you are within about 300 yds of the stadium. Parking is pretty good too, they have some nice lots real close to the stadium, well lite and everything. I will concede that it was sketchy before when you had to drive through Chester, past the prison and all the run down houses, but its almost a non factor. The worst I've seen around the stadium is Blue Hen and Red Bull fans.

The stadium itself is a fun place to watch a game, especially MLS. If Nova could get the River End as rocking as the Son's of Ben do it would be a fantastic place to play.

The exposure of the Lacrosse Tourney, and the NCAA soccer championship in '13 will help, but its a tad too late, the ship has sailed.

lehighfball
May 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM

If Lehigh advances, they go to Annapolis. I would much rather it be PPL Park. It's a great venue. Happy that two PL teams in the tourney of sixteen. Good Luck to both teams.

Bogus Megapardus
May 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM
If Lehigh advances, they go to Annapolis. I would much rather it be PPL Park.

If Lehigh gets past Maryland in the first round (which it should) it will have something of a home field advantage in Annapolis as a Patriot League team playing in a Patriot League venue. Of course, Lehigh likely be playing Hopkins, and Hopkins will bring massive local fan support. The Mids themselves certainly will back Lehigh, though - and they can be quite loud, as you know.

bluehenbillk
May 9th, 2012, 08:33 AM
If Lehigh gets past Maryland in the first round (which it should) it will have something of a home field advantage in Annapolis as a Patriot League team playing in a Patriot League venue. Of course, Lehigh likely be playing Hopkins, and Hopkins will bring massive local fan support. The Mids themselves certainly will back Lehigh, though - and they can be quite loud, as you know.

Only problem is none of them will be there. I was at Annapolis a few years ago to see UD beat UMBC in the lax quarters, if there were 50 Mids there that may be pushing it....

MplsBison
May 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Only problem is none of them will be there. I was at Annapolis a few years ago to see UD beat UMBC in the lax quarters, if there were 50 Mids there that may be pushing it....

No, he's saying because Navy plays basketball in the Patriot League that Mid lax fans will come out in droves to support a fellow Patriot lax team.

lehighfball
May 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Good Point, but I still like PPL Park. I think Lehigh would have more fan support there than at Annapolis and that would outweight the advantage of playing at a Patriot League venue. Maryland's biggest advandage is that it played last weekend and Lehigh didn't. I don't like the two week break going into the first game of the tournament.

carney2
May 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Bogie has hijacked this thread to talk about lacrosse. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Engineer86
May 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
xholyx
No, he's saying because Navy plays basketball in the Patriot League that Mid lax fans will come out in droves to support a fellow Patriot lax team.

OK xholyx... Navy plays in the Patriot League for all but football xbangx

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
xholyx

OK xholyx... Navy plays in the Patriot League for all but football xbangx

Duh.

Very common place to refer to conferences for all sports but football as basketball conferences. You knew that.