PDA

View Full Version : Southern vs LSU - Let the Talks Begin?

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Well, LSU has played Appalachian St in recent years and has been not too big a fan of playing in-state I-AAs. Though, The Citadel and Western Illinois have made the schedule in recent years as well. They do have I-A instates ULL and Tulane this year at home.

Anyhow, here's an article of LSU and Southern possibly initiating talks to play on the football field. It'd be the most marquee I-A vs I-AA for a SWAC school since I-As were allowed to play I-AAs yearly to date if this were to happen...

Oddly enough, this article has a lot of SC State vs South Carolina mentions. That game has had quite a bit of off the field politics thanks to a state Senator who doesn't represent the interests of either school...

LSU vs. SU in football discussed

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 19, 2006

Story originally published in The Advocate

Four months since South Carolina entered into a two-game series to play black college staple South Carolina State, the effects of that agreement have resonated closer to home.

Southern University Board of Supervisors member Tony Clayton said Sunday he will ask SU Athletic Director Greg LaFleur to send a formal letter of request to LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman this week for the two schools to begin talks about scheduling a football game in the near future.

LSU and Southern have never met in football.

“I want to know why South Carolina can play South Carolina State,” said Clayton, the board’s chairman of athletics. “Why not us? The people in south Louisiana between Southern and LSU are the best people in the country. So let’s do it.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/3185651.html?showAll=y

GAD
June 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
LSU knows that if you play one you have to play them all, Southern, Grambling, McNeese and maybe Southeastern are the only I-AAs in state that are worth there time the tigers would have a hard enough time bouncing back if a in state I-A beat them but a I-AA.... it would be nice to see but i don't think it would ever happen

walliver
June 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
A quote from the article

“It would be the best thing to ever happen to the economy,” Clayton said. “LSU would not embarrass Southern. They would play as well as need to play to win. If they see that they’re winning then it becomes competitive. We know LSU is Division I and we’re I-AA. Just let the kids play.”

I'm glad he's excited abouth the idea, but I wish he'd get his terminology correct.

wannabegaucho
June 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'm glad LSU is putting out the most challengine schedule possible. I am rooting 110% for any I-AA that plays LSU.

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I'm glad LSU is putting out the most challengine schedule possible. I am rooting 110% for any I-AA that plays LSU.
Personally, I think it would be interesting for the cross-town schools to face off in football. They meet in many other sports and its usually a pretty decent crowd. But being an LSU fan, I would like to see them put together the toughest schedule possible. Now, if they're going to play a I-AA team, there's no reason not to play Southern, Grambling or even McNeese (ESPECIALLY over the Citadel) as these schools are traditionally some of the best in I-AA. The last 2 I-AA teams they played were highly regarded in I-AA with Western Illinois being ranked #1 in I-AA when they came to Baton Rouge and App St. winning the national title. BOTH schools competed well against the Tigers, and I think they turned some heads in Baton Rouge and nationally in doing so.

McNeese75
June 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
:twocents: It's not happining anytime soon. I agree with GAD, they will have a can of worms to deal with if they schedule on instate I-AA team. They will continue to schedule from outside La and we will continue to be pissed about them sending those $$$ out of state :bang:

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
:twocents: It's not happining anytime soon. I agree with GAD, they will have a can of worms to deal with if they schedule on instate I-AA team. They will continue to schedule from outside La and we will continue to be pissed about them sending those $$$ out of state :bang:
I would have to agree with that. If they schedule one Louisiana I-AA team, then all of them will cry until they get a game and one of those big "Price Is Right" checks. I would prefer that they just schedule MAC, C-USA or WAC schools instead just to avoid the headache. Heck, schedule some Big East teams too - half of them don't belong in I-A.

McNeese72
June 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I've always felt one of the reasons LSU had for not playing any of the State I-AA teams would be if they played any of them then it would force them to be confronted with playing Southern. And I think they really don't want to play Southern.

That's why the told us in the past that if McNeese won the I-AA national championship then they would think about scheduling us. That can't happen with Southern.

Doc

bigbluetiger
June 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
TSU is playing Vandy for the 1st time so there's always a chance. Maybe FSU and FAMU can hook up.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Race Matters: Southern vs. LSU

Down in Baton Rouge (and throughout the South) the old adage still holds true. “The more things change the more they stay the same”…especially when it comes to race related matters. However, some would think that sports - even in the “new” South - transcends race. Well guess again.

http://www.tspndaily.com/2006/06/19/35/

Retro
June 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I really don't think RACE has anything to do with it.. LSU hasn't played any in-state I-AA school despite playing several out of state I-AA's... If this guy want's to play the race card, then he really shows his ignorance!

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I really don't think RACE has anything to do with it.. LSU hasn't played any in-state I-AA school despite playing several out of state I-AA's... If this guy want's to play the race card, then he really shows his ignorance!

Clayton first broached the subject of Southern meeting LSU in football two years ago during an annual joint meeting of the schools’ board of supervisors. He ultimately withdrew his motion.

“I asked, ‘why not?’’’ Clayton said. “We had an open date and they had an open date. I had (LSU’s Charles) Cusimano saying he would second the motion. But I withdrew it because a bunch of the board members from both LSU and Southern said they didn’t want any racial division. I said it’s not. But it’s controversial.”

How is he showing his ignorance when that was the excuse that was given by both SU and LSU board members?

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I really don't think RACE has anything to do with it.. LSU hasn't played any in-state I-AA school despite playing several out of state I-AA's... If this guy want's to play the race card, then he really shows his ignorance!Who from SU played the race card. I think the game is a very bad idea, being that SU and LSU are both located in Baton Rouge. This game can really destroy the relationships between both schools fans. Have you saw how LSU fans treat opposing team and fans. I can tell you now if they tried some of that stuff I have witnessed them do to other team fans, it would be an all out riot.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Keep in mind the thing that makes this situation unique is that we are talking about schools that are just a few miles apart from each other...within the same community.

This is not the same as S. Carolina and S. Carolina State.

Retro
June 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
How is he showing his ignorance when that was the excuse that was given by both SU and LSU board members?

My Mistake, i misread.... The racial division thing by the board members shouldn't even be an issue with these board members.. I would hope the reasons for playing any in state I-AA would out weigh not playing not playing them.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM

What the people at LSU (the white school) are really saying is that it’s OK to get together with Southern (the black school) to play a friendly game of basketball, baseball or softball. It is even OK to get together with SU to have a parade to celebrate championship football seasons. But when it comes down to playing a football game against them…”we just don’t trust them.”
To me, this reads like an indictment of the white school's board and a pardon of the SU board members. All the quote mentions is that LSU people are saying it's OK to play Southern in all sports but football, and he takes them to task. But, up until the very end he doesn't express any opinion on how the Southern board members, that AGREED with the LSU board, felt the exact same way!!

LSU and Southern don’t seem willing to make that happen. But at least both schools are honest enough to tell the public that it truly is a racial issue.
That's the only other mention of the Southern officials' identical refusal of the idea. While I think both schools are ignorant to make statements like that, I think the author of the column needs to rethink how he presents his argument in this case. It was a two way street...act like it.

bluedog
June 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
To me, this reads like an indictment of the white school's board and a pardon of the SU board members. All the quote mentions is that LSU people are saying it's OK to play Southern in all sports but football, and he takes them to task. But, up until the very end he doesn't express any opinion on how the Southern board members, that AGREED with the LSU board, felt the exact same way!!

That's the only other mention of the Southern officials' identical refusal of the idea. While I think both schools are ignorant to make statements like that, I think the author of the column needs to rethink how he presents his argument in this case. It was a two way street...act like it.

Maybe that's because one doesn't want to do it because of fear and the other because of an inherent superiority complex.

BTW it seems you could spend your time better critiquing why only 50 NSU fans show up for the NSU/SU game in Baton Rouge.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
But, up until the very end he doesn't express any opinion on how the Southern board members, that AGREED with the LSU board, felt the exact same way!!

So what does this part say about the folks at SU?

It is my guess that the folks at Southern can either take it or leave it. I mean why rock the boat right? “We don’t want no trouble with them folks over there..no! Things are just fine the way they are.”

Looks to me that the blame goes both ways.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
So what does this part say about the folks at SU?

Looks to me that the blame goes both ways.
The blame DOES go both ways, but only in that once sentence at the end of the article. His initial paragraph leans heavily towards throwing blame at the LSU board.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
BTW it seems you could spend your time better critiquing why only 50 NSU fans show up for the NSU/SU game in Baton Rouge.
#1 - That's a completely different issue. The article was regarding the fact that LSU and SU both mutually decided they didn't want to schedule each other. It had nothing to do with Nicholls State.

#2 - It's probably the same reason why we can hardly put fans in the stands in Thibodaux much less Baton Rouge, McNeese, Northwestern or anywhere else. The last time Nicholls played in BR, they were not a good team. Even still, this year attendance at HOME Nicholls games was nothing to brag about despite winning the SLC title. We have NEVER travelled well. Period. End of story. I would KILL for fan bases that are as loyal as SU and GSU. In fact, I think 8 or 9 of the top 10 home crowds in Thibodaux were against SU or GSU.

However, if you're insinuating that the reason Nicholls fans didn't show up to the Southern game was for racial reasons, I don't know. I would probably think that some fans didn't go for that reason. I can't speak for all of them. I know I couldn't go because I was working, but many of the guys I was at school with at the time DID go.

I never said that the race issue doesn't exist. All I said was that the article's author leaned towards chastising the LSU board while all but ignoring the EXACT SAME DECISION by the SU board.

BTW it seems like you can better spend YOUR time addressing the fact that people were SHOT at a Southern game this year. Never happened in Thibodaux.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
The blame DOES go both ways, but only in that once sentence at the end of the article. His initial paragraph leans heavily towards throwing blame at the LSU board.

IF...that is the case, It could be that way because LSU ultimately controlls this situation. If LSU REALLY wants to play this game, I am sure they can get it done.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
IF...that is the case, It could be that way because LSU ultimately controlls this situation. If LSU REALLY wants to play this game, I am sure they can get it done.
Maybe so. IF....and that's a big if....the author meant it that way, then he's right. HOWEVER, saying this:

But when it comes down to playing a football game against them…”we just don’t trust them.”

was completely uncalled for and baseless. He's putting words in people's mouths. No where did he give a name to substantiate that quote. And if that's his assumption as to what they board was thinking, shame on him. Statements like that only further the problem; it does NOTHING to solve the problem.

If the LSU board's ONLY reason for not wanting to play the game with SU was because of the aforementioned "racial divide" reasons, then I disagree and feel they're doing everyone in the LSU community a disservice. Had they mentioned that they are hesitant to play SU because they believe that every I-AA team in Louisiana would want the big payday games then I understand that.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
If the LSU board's ONLY reason for not wanting to play the game with SU was because of the aforementioned "racial divide" reasons, then I disagree and feel they're doing everyone in the LSU community a disservice. Had they mentioned that they are hesitant to play SU because they believe that every I-AA team in Louisiana would want the big payday games then I understand that.

But they did not mention this. So your point is moot. It has been documented (according to Clayton) that the reason for the schools not playing against each other is racial.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
But they did not mention this. So your point is moot. It has been documented (according to Clayton) that the reason for the schools not playing against each other is racial.
:bang: :bang: How is my point moot? I said that HAD THEY mentioned that, I would understand - "Had They" meaning that they did not.

But I said that I disagree with the "racial divide" motive for not playing the game. I feel it's ignorant on both parts and should NEVER be a hinderence for any teams to play each other. My problem has NEVER been with the issue given for not playing - I think it's a cop-out on both sides. My problem was with the way it was presented in the article by the author. I felt that it was heavily biased to shield the SU board members.

I would be completely for LSU playing SU (or Grambling or McNeese for that matter). It would be an incredible game day experience for fans and athletes alike. It would be a tailgating scene like no other and have Baton Rouge buzzing leading up to the game.

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
:bang: :bang: How is my point moot? I said that HAD THEY mentioned that, I would understand - "Had They" meaning that they did not.

Exactly...so why bother to bring it up at all? Like I said...your point is moot. There is no need in trying to find an excuse for LSU.

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Exactly...so why bother to bring it up at all? Like I said...your point is moot. There is no need in trying to find an excuse for LSU.
You obviously didn't read it.:read: I CLEARLY stated that they did not say that and that the reason they gave alone is STUPID. Now you're starting to sound like the author. :bang:

SOUTHERN'S BOARD DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY EITHER!

SAME OLD G
June 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Now you're starting to sound like the author. :bang:

Gee...thanks! xlolx :hurray:

McNeese75
June 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM

So What????? Who cares??? :eyebrow:

No I-AA school is going to coerce LSU to play them in football.

SAME OLD G
June 21st, 2006, 01:59 AM
So What????? Who cares??? :eyebrow:

No I-AA school is going to coerce LSU to play them in football.

Apparently Tony Clayton does. And since you took the time to respond you probably care also.

bluedog
June 21st, 2006, 02:50 AM
BTW it seems like you can better spend YOUR time addressing the fact that people were SHOT at a Southern game this year. Never happened in Thibodaux.

Well heck with a stadium barely the capacity of my old high schools I guess the odds are lower. But that doesn't stop it from being any rapes there now does it?

bluedog
June 21st, 2006, 02:55 AM
SOUTHERN'S BOARD DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY EITHER!

WHICH HAS MORE TO DO WITH STATUS QUO THEN RACE.

YOU'D THINK SOMEONE FROM NSU WOULD KNOW THAT.

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2006, 05:21 AM
And Southern gets slammed pretty bad. A bit surprising considering LSU's results against Appalachian St this year, but I guess the writer feels there's a great disparity between what he calls, "national power" App St and SWAC member Southern...doesn't seem to be a fan of LSU playing I-AAs in general, whether it in-states or out of states...

Rabalais: LSU-Southern football game makes no sense
By SCOTT RABALAIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 21, 2006

Tony Clayton’s heart is in the right place when he talks about the financial good and potential goodwill generated from an LSU-Southern football game.

But one wonders if the Southern Board of Supervisors member has considered how many hearts — and other vital organs — belonging to Southern football players might be displaced by the Jaguars having to try to tackle the Tigers.

The disparity in talent is wider than most LSU fans think or Southern fans are likely to admit.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/featured/3200186.html?showAll=y

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
And Southern gets slammed pretty bad. A bit surprising considering LSU's results against Appalachian St this year, but I guess the writer feels there's a great disparity between what he calls, "national power" App St and SWAC member Southern...doesn't seem to be a fan of LSU playing I-AAs in general, whether it in-states or out of states...

Rabalais: LSU-Southern football game makes no sense
By SCOTT RABALAIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 21, 2006

Tony Clayton’s heart is in the right place when he talks about the financial good and potential goodwill generated from an LSU-Southern football game.

But one wonders if the Southern Board of Supervisors member has considered how many hearts — and other vital organs — belonging to Southern football players might be displaced by the Jaguars having to try to tackle the Tigers.

The disparity in talent is wider than most LSU fans think or Southern fans are likely to admit.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/featured/3200186.html?showAll=y--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The advocate is full of *hit. They never are opinionated or critical of LSU but let SU have it. They were discussing this same issue on BR sports talk radio last week and I respect the host of the show for doing so.

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Well heck with a stadium barely the capacity of my old high schools I guess the odds are lower. But that doesn't stop it from being any rapes there now does it?
Rapes? Where? Southern? Haven't heard about any rapes at a Nicholls football game. But what does stadium capacity have to do with anything we were talking about? Nothing. Basically, your arguments have done nothing but redirect the discussion from the original issue.

bluedog
June 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Rapes? Where? Southern? Haven't heard about any rapes at a Nicholls football game. But what does stadium capacity have to do with anything we were talking about? Nothing. Basically, your arguments have done nothing but redirect the discussion from the original issue.

I know you went to or graduated from NSU so it may take you some time to comprehend but let me simplify it for you.

You said.......

Therefore my response was in reference to that. Now this is how it works.

Statistically speaking when there's larger number of people involved in any event the likely hood of things unforeseen happening is higher and especially if that number is in the neighborhood of being four times greater.

Example: That's why when you go to an NSU game you may see a total of twelve policemen as oppose to seventy at SU.

Now as for the redirecting accusation your above statement was the origination of the issue being redirected. If you have trouble understanding that try going back over the conversation and follow it real careful this time. Again knowing that you went to NSU I thought I'd help you out.

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Statistically speaking when there's larger number of people involved in any event the likely hood of things unforeseen happening is higher and especially if that number is in the neighborhood of being four times greater.

Example: That's why when you go to an NSU game you may see a total of twelve policemen as oppose to seventy at SU.
True, but explain to me why you don't hear of people being shot at games at LSU (90,000+), University of Georgia (90,000+), University of Tennessee (100,000+), University of Michigan (100,000+), Ohio State University (100,000+), Penn State University (90,000+), Auburn University (80,000+), University of Alabama (80,000+), University of Florida (80,000+) etc, etc.

Statistically speaking, how come none of that has happened at those schools? Shouldn't the occurances of "unforseen happennings" be even HIGHER at these institutions? I mean I'm not a stats professor and I only earned my degree from lowly Nicholls, not Southern (where I could have just paid someone for mine).

And you STILL never substantiated your rape claim at a Nicholls football game.

jstate83
June 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM
The battle for LOU-ANNA has started.xlolx

gram4life
June 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM
True, but explain to me why you don't hear of people being shot at games at LSU (90,000+), University of Georgia (90,000+), University of Tennessee (100,000+), University of Michigan (100,000+), Ohio State University (100,000+), Penn State University (90,000+), Auburn University (80,000+), University of Alabama (80,000+), University of Florida (80,000+) etc, etc.

Statistically speaking, how come none of that has happened at those schools? Shouldn't the occurances of "unforseen happennings" be even HIGHER at these institutions? I mean I'm not a stats professor and I only earned my degree from lowly Nicholls, not Southern (where I could have just paid someone for mine).

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=News&id=2108003
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/05/national/main641233.shtml

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM

There was 100,000+ on SU's campus and Scotlandville that day. It was SU's homecoming.

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
There was 100,000+ on SU's campus and Scotlandville that day. It was SU's homecoming.
And that makes it alright?! If that's the case, officials at LSU estimate over 100,000 people on campus nearly every week and sometimes over 200,000. Just because they 100,000+ on campus ONE weekend, they don't get a free pass to have someone shot.

As for the article about the shooting at NC State, it's an unfortunate event. But if someone is going to defend the shooting as a statistical inevitability, shouldn't it happen a LOT more at the hundreds of games played every year?

McNeese75
June 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Apparently Tony Clayton does. And since you took the time to respond you probably care also.

:confused: , Sorry, you obviously have me confused with someone else because I could care less xcoffeex

I find the effort being put into this thread to make something out of nothing amusing.

bluedog
June 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM

Probably because someone has their head up their butts because they don't want to see or hear of it or they're just morons . Take your pick.

Excuse me didn't you say that this was redirecting the from the original issue? Now just except the fact that "Your" diversion has been expose and move on...I'am

Retro
June 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM
The battle for LOU-ANNA has started.

There is no Battle! As Far as I-AA goes, Mcneese owns the rest of the state!:thumbsup:

http://www.census.gov/mcd/img/facts/factslogo2.gif

SU Jag
June 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Some arguments are pointless, and THIS is one of 'em:nod:

June 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM
hey fellas, lets face it. lets talk football! lsu can and will beat any team in the state by 40. i love 1aa football but not one team in the state could come close. not to bang on southern, they have not beaten any of our louisiana 1aa teams. for lsu it is a lose, lose situation. right now there is not one 1aa team in the state that is better that the other. they all have improved from past years, but really.........i would like to see the money in the state but the tigers need to stay out of 1aa if they can, and play mid conference 1a team. all they do is hurt themselves. would i love to see them play su, mcneese, slu, or nichols. yeah, but it just does not make sense for them to do that. i would love to see nichols, mcneese or nsu upset one of those big schools they are playing this year but the chances are small. could you imagine what would happen if mcneese some how beat lsu! if app. state does it, it is bad but it does not hurt as bad. lsu can not win. so i say lets do like we are doing this year, let all our 1aa teams go and collect on nebraska and texas tech and whoever will let us play them and make it miserable on them! good luck to them all!

a louisiana fan!

SU Jag
June 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
hey fellas, lets face it. lets talk football! lsu can and will beat any team in the state by 40. i love 1aa football but not one team in the state could come close. not to bang on southern, they have not beaten any of our louisiana 1aa teams. for lsu it is a lose, lose situation. right now there is not one 1aa team in the state that is better that the other. they all have improved from past years, but really.........i would like to see the money in the state but the tigers need to stay out of 1aa if they can, and play mid conference 1a team. all they do is hurt themselves. would i love to see them play su, mcneese, slu, or nichols. yeah, but it just does not make sense for them to do that. i would love to see nichols, mcneese or nsu upset one of those big schools they are playing this year but the chances are small. could you imagine what would happen if mcneese some how beat lsu! if app. state does it, it is bad but it does not hurt as bad. lsu can not win. so i say lets do like we are doing this year, let all our 1aa teams go and collect on nebraska and texas tech and whoever will let us play them and make it miserable on them! good luck to them all!

a louisiana fan!

Southern hasnt beaten any Louisiana 1-AA teams?xcoffeex Go research that again Skooter!

SU Jag
June 21st, 2006, 08:30 PM
The racist comments are comming from the LSU side of things, well at least the fans. I went to their message boards and I say things like "I dont want to many blackies in our stadium", "If we played Southern our stadium would be gangsta'ed out" and ect., so from here on out , man f&ck LSU!

www.tigerdroppings.com

mikebigg
June 21st, 2006, 08:47 PM
It has to start somewhere... and why not with this game some time in the near future. Why not agree to play every in state school at least once as a Homecoming game? Since ULL, ULM, LaTech, and Tulane has already played LSU in recent years, start with SU then follow with the rest of the teams in 1AA from within the state.

It's time to turn the corner in this state. Since LSU is considered the flagship school, then by all means set the example and make it happen.

SAME OLD G
June 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
:confused: , Sorry, you obviously have me confused with someone else because I could care less xcoffeex

I find the effort being put into this thread to make something out of nothing amusing.

Thus, you cared enough to respond.

Retro
June 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Southern hasnt beaten any Louisiana 1-AA teams? Go research that again Skooter!

He's probably referring more to Southern's recent record againest in state I-AA, not including Grambling of course..

Here's Southern's yearly record againest OOC Louisiana I-AA's, most being Nicholls state and NWST..

2004 0-1
2003 0-0
2002 0-1
2001 0-1
2000 0-1

1999 1-0
1998 0-1
1997 2-0
1996 0-2
1995 2-0
1994 1-1
1993 1-1
1992 0-1
1991 0-1
1990 0-1

1989 1-0
1988 0-1
1987 0-1
1986 0-1

total: 8-15

Againest NWST 5-5
McNeese 0-1
Nicholls 3-9

McNeese75
June 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM
Thus, you cared enough to respond.

:giveadamn:

GAD
June 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
He's probably referring more to Southern's recent record againest in state I-AA, not including Grambling of course..

Here's Southern's yearly record againest OOC Louisiana I-AA's, most being Nicholls state and NWST..

2004 0-1
2003 0-0
2002 0-1
2001 0-1
2000 0-1

1999 1-0
1998 0-1
1997 2-0
1996 0-2
1995 2-0
1994 1-1
1993 1-1
1992 0-1
1991 0-1
1990 0-1

1989 1-0
1988 0-1
1987 0-1
1986 0-1

total: 8-15

Againest NWST 5-5
McNeese 0-1
Nicholls 3-9
So please explain to me how we have not beaten any LA. I-AA's?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

GAD
June 21st, 2006, 10:16 PM
The racist comments are comming from the LSU side of things, well at least the fans. I went to their message boards and I say things like "I dont want to many blackies in our stadium", "If we played Southern our stadium would be gangsta'ed out" and ect., so from here on out , man f&ck LSU!

www.tigerdroppings.com
Maybe we should show those post to there recruits, ya know jus to see what they think.

eaglesrthe1
June 21st, 2006, 11:02 PM

Documented?xlolx xlolx xlolx

“I asked, ‘why not?’’’ Clayton said. “We had an open date and they had an open date. I had (LSU’s Charles) Cusimano saying he would second the motion. But I withdrew it because a bunch of the board members from both LSU and Southern said they didn’t want any racial division. I said it’s not. But it’s controversial.”

I guess that because this guy named "bunch" didn't come out and dispute what Clayton said, then it's now documented as fact. Pretty smart. If you don't single out an individual...then what individual can counter what you say?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 21st, 2006, 11:19 PM
Maybe we should show those post to there recruits, ya know jus to see what they think.I got so heated reading some of that trash. I registered but they wouldn't let me post.: smh :

SAME OLD G
June 21st, 2006, 11:55 PM
:giveadamn:

You prove my point with every post you create on this thread. If you don't care...don't post.

SAME OLD G
June 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
I guess that because this guy named "bunch" didn't come out and dispute what Clayton said, then it's now documented as fact. Pretty smart. If you don't single out an individual...then what individual can counter what you say?

Uhhh....actually it was a guy named "bunch" from both LSU and Southern that said they didn’t want any racial division.

Get it right.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM
Againest NWST 5-5
McNeese 0-1
Nicholls 3-9

3-9 against the worst funded football program and athletic department in the SLC? There's several non-football schools with a budget twice that of the school in Thibodaux! That can't speak too highly of a program. xcoffeex

gram4life
June 22nd, 2006, 06:25 AM
3-9 against the worst funded football program and athletic department in the SLC? There's several non-football schools with a budget twice that of the school in Thibodaux! That can't speak too highly of a program. xcoffeex

That's not exactly true, it's more like 13-6, but work it however you please. nothing new.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
That's not exactly true, it's more like 13-6, but work it however you please. nothing new.

How's it 13-6 when Retro provided a 3-9 mark against Nicholls? Were some of the results provided by his source incorrect? We're talking I-AA era here.

GAD
June 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
How's it 13-6 when Retro provided a 3-9 mark against Nicholls? Were some of the results provided by his source incorrect? We're talking I-AA era here.
Southern vs. Nicholls started before '86, Retro is correct but he only went back 20 years he also did not post our record vs. Southeastern

McNeese75
June 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
You prove my point with every post you create on this thread. If you don't care...don't post.

Nawww, not really. I am just inflating my post totals with meaningless prattle JUST LIKE YOU!!! :nod:

GeauxColonels
June 22nd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Probably because someone has their head up their butts because they don't want to see or hear of it or they're just morons . Take your pick.

Excuse me didn't you say that this was redirecting the from the original issue? Now just except the fact that "Your" diversion has been expose and move on...I'am

Let's see, my post (#16) read like this:

This is in direct response to the article in question from post #10.

YOUR post, #17, read like this:

Maybe that's because one doesn't want to do it because of fear and the other because of an inherent superiority complex.

Looks to me like YOU created the diversion and stuck with it.

My problem was with the way the author from the article in post #10 talked about the problem facing the 2 schools. If you look at my initial post (#5 in this thread) you will see that I said that IF LSU is going to insist on playing I-AA schools why NOT play some Louisiana programs? McNeese, Southern and Grambling are widely considered to be some of the top programs in I-AA much less Louisiana.

June 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
thanks retro, southern fans in recent years. it is a no win situation for lsu. i dont understand the race talk, most of the players on all teams are african american. it does not matter when your talking football on the field. lsu can not win the louisiana 1aa argument. dont play them i dont care who they are. for example why would a 5a high school take a chance and play a real good 2a school that is right down the street. for the same reason you have everything to lose and they have nothing to lose and those are bad games to play. no offense to any of our 1aa schools in any league. the issue is a dead one, and i probably wasted the last five minutes because most people forget about the game when this kind of talk starts which is obvious just look at all the post before this one. thanks moving on to next page and topic.

Panther88
June 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
It's really scary reading some of those comments on that tiger den mb. Just like here, some of these same folx are out in the real world and we come in contact w/ them every single day, unfortunately.

Integration is that 2 edged sword that swung both ways. Cutting going forward and back. :(

However, I do not think that the current SU team would come w/in 60pts of lsu. That's my basis for SU not entertaining the thought of playing lsu outside of the large paycheck afterward.

eaglesrthe1
June 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Uhhh....actually it was a guy named "bunch" from both LSU and Southern that said they didn’t want any racial division.

Get it right.

I didn't imply that it wasn't.

Retro
June 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM

Do they not teach math at SWAC schools?:rolleyes:

The records i posted are accurate... In addition, Southern is 3-3 againest nicholls prior to 1986 and 1-1 againest Southeastern alltime, all prior to 1986 of course...

Southern vs. Nicholls started before '86, Retro is correct but he only went back 20 years he also did not post our record vs. Southeastern

SEE ABOVE!

GAD
June 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Do they not teach math at SWAC schools?:rolleyes:

The records i posted are accurate... In addition, Southern is 3-3 againest nicholls prior to 1986 and 1-1 againest Southeastern alltime, all prior to 1986 of course...

SEE ABOVE!
Retro I did not disagree with you if you reread my post I said you were correct. my problem was with [email protected] with that flat out lie that Southern had never beaten a Southland team.

SAME OLD G
June 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Nawww, not really. I am just inflating my post totals with meaningless prattle JUST LIKE YOU!!! :nod: See what I mean?

SAME OLD G
June 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
However, I do not think that the current SU team would come w/in 60pts of lsu. That's my basis for SU not entertaining the thought of playing lsu outside of the large paycheck afterward.

That is the excuse the everyone wants to use. Its easy to use because it covers a much deeper reason as to why the school have not and will not play.

In the end...the score does not matter. The size of the paycheck does not matter.

McNeeserocket
June 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
That is the excuse the everyone wants to use. Its easy to use because it covers a much deeper reason as to why the school have not and will not play.

In the end...the score does not matter. The size of the paycheck does not matter.

I agree! If LSU is going to pay and play I-AA schools, why not Southern, Grambling and others? They can't use the agruement about lopsided scores, hurt I-AA players, or even solid power I-AA programs. They played the Citadel a few years ago. Tell me that program is a powerhouse! Tell me that they have had more drafted players than Southern. Tell me that players in that game (and for that matter any game) don't run the risk of injury. Stupid, stupid, baseless agruements.

LSU should just pony up to playing Louisiana I-AA programs when they need to schedule a team and can't a I-A team. Offer a game to a/any Louisiana I-AA team first before sending Louisiana money out of the state. I don't think any of us I-AA teams care who LSU would play first of I-AA schools. Just pick one this time and another one the time after that.

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SU Jag
June 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I agree! If LSU is going to pay and play I-AA schools, why not Southern, Grambling and others? They can't use the agruement about lopsided scores, hurt I-AA players, or even solid power I-AA programs. They played the Citadel a few years ago. Tell me that program is a powerhouse! Tell me that they have had more drafted players than Southern. Tell me that players in that game (and for that matter any game) don't run the risk of injury. Stupid, stupid, baseless agruements.

LSU should just pony up to playing Louisiana I-AA programs when they need to schedule a team and can't a I-A team. Offer a game to a/any Louisiana I-AA team first before sending Louisiana money out of the state. I don't think any of us I-AA teams care who LSU would play first of I-AA schools. Just pick one this time and another one the time after that.

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should all play each other! Tulane dropped us because we made their fan support look bad. We had at leat 3x more people at the SU/Tulane game than they had. I feel like all of the Louisiana schools should play each other.

GAD
June 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
We should all play each other! Tulane dropped us because we made their fan support look bad. We had at leat 3x more people at the SU/Tulane game than they had. I feel like all of the Louisiana schools should play each other.
I think a game between Southern and UL-L would be the s#i+

Labor day weekend every three or four years

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
I think a game between Southern and UL-L would be the s#i+

Labor day weekend every three or four yearsThats what I have been saying. I doubt they would every play SU. Their baseball team dropped SU after we beat them. They put us back on the schedule after Rickie got drafted. They would set an attendence record for sure, plus the tailgate party :eek: , and clubs:eek: would be on another level.

Here is my response to those cowards on Tigerdropping.com.

First off let me address the Marcus Jacoby situation. Marcus Jacoby wasn't treated any differently than any other SU QB, that lead a losing team. As we all know the QB either gets the praise or the blame. Mr Jacoby even admitted later in a article, that he was shocked they were treating SU's next QB(Troy Williams) the same way. Folks even cheered when Troy got hurt, because his backup was a crowd favorite. There was also 2 other white player's on SU's team and they got along with everyone. I think more than anything it was a culture shock for Mr.Jacoby. Matt Bushard, SU's punter at the time was a fan favorite, and also very popular around campus. Matt also went to a public school, so I think the transition was easier for him.
Now as far as the football thing goes, sure Lsu would win, but it wouldn't be by the margin some of you think it would be by. SU only trailed Tulane in the second game by 10 points with 4 minutes remaining. Tulane scored again, kicked an onside kick, and ran a fake punt for a touched down in the last minute of the game. Now if SU or Grambling and LSU would have played in the 40's ,50's, 60's, 70's, early 80's there wouldn't be a question on who would win. SU or Grambling by a landslide.
And lets not begin to talk about the bands. SU by a landslide.

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2006, 06:05 AM

"Racial" is a convenient way of getting out of scheduling a game they just don't want to happen.
If it truly were racial they wouldn't play each other in other sports. I mean like people are just as white and just as black in basketball as they are football. The race thing is just not logical in this case. Recruiting nibs are when a flagship school plays another in-state school.
UNC won't play App State but it isn't racial.xcoffeex

Panther88
June 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thats what I have been saying. I doubt they would every play SU. Their baseball team dropped SU after we beat them. They put us back on the schedule after Rickie got drafted. They would set an attendence record for sure, plus the tailgate party :eek: , and clubs:eek: would be on another level.

Here is my response to those cowards on Tigerdropping.com.

First off let me address the Marcus Jacoby situation. Marcus Jacoby wasn't treated any differently than any other SU QB, that lead a losing team. As we all know the QB either gets the praise or the blame. Mr Jacoby even admitted later in a article, that he was shocked they were treating SU's next QB(Troy Williams) the same way. Folks even cheered when Troy got hurt, because his backup was a crowd favorite. There was also 2 other white player's on SU's team and they got along with everyone. I think more than anything it was a culture shock for Mr.Jacoby. Matt Bushard, SU's punter at the time was a fan favorite, and also very popular around campus. Matt also went to a public school, so I think the transition was easier for him.
Now as far as the football thing goes, sure Lsu would win, but it wouldn't be by the margin some of you think it would be by. SU only trailed Tulane in the second game by 10 points with 4 minutes remaining. Tulane scored again, kicked an onside kick, and ran a fake punt for a touched down in the last minute of the game. Now if SU or Grambling and LSU would have played in the 40's ,50's, 60's, 70's, early 80's there wouldn't be a question on who would win. SU or Grambling by a landslide.
And lets not begin to talk about the bands. SU by a landslide.

If you want to squash a lot of the bull in that tiger forum as well as strike the fear of "their" god in them, just tell'em that you know a coupla' lsu players that you're inviting to their forum to read their "fans" (loosely used) comments. :thumbsup:

Quite sobering for the dumblings (players) to learn about those who they stand behind xidiotx and whose same colors they wear and unfortunately, represent. xidiotx Wish I knew @ least one current on that squad. Unfortunately, lately, I haven't.

SU Jag
June 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
If you want to squash a lot of the bull in that tiger forum as well as strike the fear of "their" god in them, just tell'em that you know a coupla' lsu players that you're inviting to their forum to read their "fans" (loosely used) comments. :thumbsup:

Quite sobering for the dumblings (players) to learn about those who they stand behind xidiotx and whose same colors they wear and unfortunately, represent. xidiotx Wish I knew @ least one current on that squad. Unfortunately, lately, I haven't.

If LSUs players read what was written of those forums, they wouldnt even have a team. All of them would leave!:nod:

Panther88
June 23rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
If LSUs players read what was written of those forums, they wouldnt even have a team. All of them would leave!:nod:

Somebody should seriously alert those players to areas like that. It would kill a WHOLE lotta' jibberish they spew!

Ditto for I-AA'dom and Div II as well. ;) People wanna' talk the talk but don't wanna' walk (right) the talk. Guys would surely tuck their tails and put their collectives heads between the student-athletes legs.... just slobbing on'em and really don't give a damn about'em as a person.

R.A.
June 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM
-What about LA Tech? Their stadium capacity is 30,600 but their
highest attended game is 28,714, when Tech defeated UL-Monroe in 1997. Also, they've played a few HBCUs there before, South Carolina State and Miss. Valley State... Southern and Grambling would sell out their stadium.

mikebigg
June 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
-What about LA Tech? Their stadium capacity is 30,600 but their
highest attended game is 28,714, when Tech defeated UL-Monroe in 1997. Also, they've played a few HBCUs there before, South Carolina State and Miss. Valley State... Southern and Grambling would sell out their stadium.

Talk about improbable...it would believe a talking horse telling me that he saw a flying pig before I could believe Tech would play Grambling. Someone fooled LaTech years ago into thinking that they are an elite football program.

McTailGator
June 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM
LSU knows that if you play one you have to play them all, Southern, Grambling, McNeese and maybe Southeastern are the only I-AAs in state that are worth there time the tigers would have a hard enough time bouncing back if a in state I-A beat them but a I-AA.... it would be nice to see but i don't think it would ever happen

I wonder if THEY would honor a contract????:mad:

GAD
June 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Talk about improbable...it would believe a talking horse telling me that he saw a flying pig before I could believe Tech would play Grambling. Someone fooled LaTech years ago into thinking that they are an elite football program.
What was that line from the movie "Gramblings White Tiger" "Rich white Tech play poor Black Grambling?"

GAD
June 24th, 2006, 05:17 PM
xsmoochx HAPPY BIRTHDAY McTailGatorxsmoochx